Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
OStrungT

4.35/5  rDev +11%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with almost no head. What little head is present is white. It leaves a tiny lacing in the glass.

This beer has a sour aroma. It smells slightly of vinegar. It has a very subtle citrus aroma as well. I slight yeasty aroma is also present.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. It has a tart, citrus flavor. It is quite sour tasting. A slight vinegar flavor is present. Some earthy yeast is there also, but it is covered mostly by the strong sour flavor.

This beer leaves a sour aftertaste. It is a little aggressive, due to the sour flavor. It is very low in carbonation.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. The only problem would be the sour flavor getting cloying after too many.

Overall: I am glad to have tried this beer. I liked it, and would definately have it again.

03-10-2007 21:17:13 | More by OStrungT
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again.

02-28-2007 21:44:42 | More by lordofthewiens
benmiliron

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%

Paid 11.99 (!) for a bottle. Pours a hazy, dirty light yellow/orange with a bit of rust contamination. Poorly worded there - the color is very nice. No head to speak of. Taste/smell is all lambic, except this is really over the top. Acidity is so high it's like a sour-patch-kid. There is a lot of complexity, but so dominated by the acidity it's tough to tell what else is there. I thought oak-aging would mellow a beer like this (i.e. Oaked Arrogant Bastard)?!? Mouthfeel is very winey, but rich and supportive. Carbonation is too strong, almost fizzy.

This is a well put-together beer, and you can tell there is a lot of quality and thought to this, however it just doesn't come together as well as you'd hope. There are definitely better lambics out there.

12-20-2006 02:23:56 | More by benmiliron
BeerBelcher

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

This is my first "pure" (unblended) lambic, but I'll do my best here as I've recently taken an interest in this style.

This beer pours a dark yellow...and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it looks a chardonnay that is seriously past its prime.

Aroma is pure sour, with very little fruit aroma.

Taste is significantly sour, with a mellow chardonnay grape flavor. It is very tasty, and I prefer the 3-year-old mellowness of this beer to the geuze that I had before it.

This beer's mouthfeel is very wine-like. The beer has very little carbonation. This near-flatness makes it a rather big in your mouth, much like a wine.

Very interesting, and recommended.

12-09-2006 18:23:19 | More by BeerBelcher
Callenak

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml bottle purchased in Ohio on a recent trip. Poured into a tulip.

Pours with what appears to be absolutely no carbonation. The cork say's it was bottled in 2002. I've had bottles much older than that which retained carbonation. Considering this bottle is corked and crowned, I imagine it was meant to be like this. My understanding and experience with lambics lead me to believe that they tend to have relatively high carbonation levels. Color is a very pale color with decent clarity.

Smell is tart which is to be expected. I also pick up hints of chardonnay. Strange, but pleasing. I imagine if there was more carbonation the nose would be more pronounced.

Taste is great. A solid tartness to it but not over powerful. More toned down than a gueze but still enough for the style. The flavor and sourness go away rather quickly though, oh well, guess I'll keep drinking. Thin mouth feel.

Overall a very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I picked this up for $9, which for a Cantillon 750 seems like a hell of a deal. I would definitely recommend this and would love to have more lying around for myself.

11-28-2006 23:57:53 | More by Callenak
ViveLaChouffe

Georgia

Pours a cloudy honey color, just a wispy white trace of a head. Quite still. Pungent aroma. Musty and musky. Sour blast of lemony citrus.

Thin pungent sourness soon fills out and envelops the tongue. Funky and powerfully sour. The sourness remains long after the beer is gone. Mouth is very lightly carbonated, nearly flat. For Cantillon, it's fairly drinkable although a sipper. This is an interesting beer but I don't think it will be a regular.

09-24-2006 02:22:30 | More by ViveLaChouffe
shbobdb

Indiana

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

Unblended, eh?

This is the first gueuze that hasn't really been 'sessionable' to me, but hot damn if it wasn't a treat!

Pour it into a glass and enjoy that cloudy golden colour, it's like a weizen and a pils had a baby man. A baby with carbonation like an old cask ale, that is to say, none.

But ahhh, the smells. Pungent aromas that remind me of blue cheese, ginko berries, and the acrid smell of vomit. Why do I like these things again?

Oh yeah, because it *tastes* like blue chees, ginko berries, and a pinch of vomit with a nice layer of wheaty goodness on top. Ahhhh, it burns your throat wonderfully going down. Normally the carbonation dulls this delightful pain but not here. Ahhh.

It tastes like getting stood up, but in a good way. Imagine waiting at a restaraunt for two hours. You aren't bitter, or even sad about it (there is bourbon for those emotions!), but rather strangely resigned. That is the way it is supposed to be.

Ahhh, man. Cantillon is the unquestioned master of lambics and this is a prime example of what I am talkin' about. Yeah.

09-23-2006 06:22:09 | More by shbobdb
Ego

3.33/5  rDev -15.1%

eyes...
honey colored hazem zero head, even with a rigourous pour, not that that is a shicking thing on a cantillon from experience. a little carbonation noted. very pedestrian looking lambic, totally john doe.

nose...
tart apples with a handfull of dirt, that strange almost chemical smell funk that you find in many cantillon products.. maybe not as prounounced as it is here, it lingers like a wet glad bag that has been sitting out on a humid day full of garbage, attacks the nose like a boozy beer might but of course it isn't astringent like that, I suppose it is some sort of the oak penetrating the brew. interesting but they make better.

taste etc...
thin and light drinking, the mouth gets coated even though this is so light, not nearly as tart as their other offerings, the flavor follows the nose to the letter, the oak almost tastes out of place rather than adding to the overall flavor. this is pretty straight foward in terms of just being a basic unflavored lambic. It is quite acidic as you might expect.

verdict?
interesting but for me cantillon makes far superior and more interesting brews. if I want something tart hand me their gueze. The oak adds some interesting notes but not much imo.

09-18-2006 02:01:25 | More by Ego
Dukeofearl

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%

A beer that I saved for my 500th review. I've been saving this 750 ml green bottle with "The Wedding Feast" on the label for almost a year- now's as good a time as any, I guess!

2003 vintage, according to the cork.

Capped and corked, underneath the cap, above the cork was a small quantity of seriously nasty vinegar. It really put me off for a few minutes. Once I cleaned that up and pulled the cork, the aroma of vinegar persisted, but much gentler, as tart apples and very dry white wine take over. Once poured, the vinegar is gone and it's now a seriously nice aroma. Geueze-like (my main point of comparison), but much gentler.

Pours a medium golden-yellow, with absolutely no carbonation at all. This isa perfect example of why Europeans call the opposite of sparkling water "still".

Flavor profile is like the aroma- very tart and sour, it grabs one's tongue and slaps it silly at first try. Puckers the lips and almost makes my eyes water. The organic funk is present, but not as obvious as in some other lambic-based beers I've tried. The mouth is much thinner than a geueze. However, like the geueze, once my mouth kind of "gets used to it", it starts saying- hey, this stuff is good!

Overall, this is a very unique taste profile, and I enjoy it as a once-in-a-while treat. Good stuff when craving something tart.

09-15-2006 01:26:31 | More by Dukeofearl
bwyker

4.22/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from 750ml bottle, slightly chilled, into a wine glass. Hazed golden hue, very delicate and still, with a light ring of froth around the rim of the glass. Sour apple in the nose. Tart upfront, which isn’t so harsh after the first sip. Sour mash/bretty tastes dominate the flavor, but a light pear or apple infused white wine (no idea what grape) is noted. Mouthfeel is very dry and light, with a puckering sour finish. Very enjoyable, easy enough to drink. Drink it slow, however, and appreciate its complexities.

09-09-2006 03:47:53 | More by bwyker
bonbright7

3.53/5  rDev -9.9%

I was handed a glass of this unusual beer at a small party this evening and I was told it was something special from Belgium. I put my nose to it right away to ascertain it values after being told it was a lambic. I thought the fragrances of tart apples and fruit were going to knock me out or at least scare me away from enjoying it.

The first taste was a very spicy and tart flavor that made me question, like many other Belgian beers I had tasted recently, was this made from apples and hard cider. I put the glass down to taste the home brewed version of Poor Richard's I had made with great success. It's smooth sweet flavor contrasted well with the lambic which I thought may have needed more time to settle.

I remarked that while this could be found at Whole Foods, I didn't think it would be served in Shea stadium anytime soon as one needed a lot of time to go over it to find its reason of being.

08-27-2006 04:17:53 | More by bonbright7
gbontrag

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%

How unusual!! And perplexing. This is a still bottling of a single barrel, (in otherwords, no yeast/sugar added to promote carbonation in the bottle). If I am to contemplate this I would say it sounds like a marketing gimmick. Especially, that there is the added "Grand Cru" designation. Again, sounds like a smart way to market extra barrel-aged beer that otherwise doesn't have a home. I've never been to Belgium though, and don't know how often they serve still samples of unblended lambic, so I won't say more then 'I'm surprised'. After reading the reviews I see that some years are carbonated. This here is from 2003, and certainly has no carbonation.
Pours still, no carbonation. Makes the glass appear to be sweating from the inside as bubbles collect on the inside. A beer that makes a glass sweat on the inside must have powerful soul. Looks like rusty water. First glance says, "thin." However, upon further gaze and concentration while I roll my hand this is definitely viscuous, and soapy the way it grips the glass.
A breeze past my flaring nostrils catches musty basement, sweating sour wood, mild white wine vinegar; A second pass and I pick up cooing baby pee diaper, vanilla, apples under a full-size apple tree in August next to an open stable. Deep inhale and it all comes together as though I were sitting on a sweating pony that is munching on those fallen, fermenting apples.
This has a thick-water feel that is mineral rich as though the water sat in a cistern for a long while. It has the affect that I get upon chewing on some fresh bio-dynamic spinach: The corners of my mouth are itchy with minerals, and acid. The oak is puckering. The body is as soft as the favorite parts of my lover. Did someone sqeeze a fruit tree through a juicer here? This is so dry except for a keel of honey thinned with green apple juice, a couple drops of tropical fruit essence, and grain soaking water. The sourness is so pervasive, but smooth. Sip after sip gives me pleasure that is both relaxing, and inpsiring. This is a real transport beyond time. This kind of pleasure is why people smoke a pin joint every evening; or pour a couple fingers of bourbon, or scotch; or light aromatherapy candles around the bath/hot tub. This is gentle relaxation. It is the definition of idle time well spent.

08-14-2006 20:24:58 | More by gbontrag
mcallister

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Upon pouring the head if you want to call it that dissapears almost before you have the bottle in an upright position. A thin white ring rests against the circular realms of my Lindeman's flute.

Ahh the lovely smell of the wild belgian yeast, very sour, earthy aromas. Powerful, thick and barnyardy, hints of manure, hay, citric acid, and other fruity endeavors, with a twist of oak somewhat masked underneath.

Man that is sour goodness. This lambic had a finish that lasts a good while. Sour as hell, with big wild yeast flavors, subtle oak flavors, extremely high acid content, same earthy tones with more of a fruit forward type of burst.

A good lambic as all Cantillon's I've sampled have been. However I find the mouthfeel to be way to thin on this one. I think it could have used a little more cabonation, or at least strength to balance the acidity.

07-15-2006 21:57:57 | More by mcallister
EPICAC

3.93/5  rDev +0.3%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits tonight. I chilled it in the fridge and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. This is the fourth Cantillon beer that I've had in the last few weeks.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden with a thin layer of large bubbles that quickly disappear leaving only a transient thin ring.

Smell: Much like the other Cantillon lambics the nose is dominated by sour musty earthy aromas. These are more subdued than the other Cantillon beers that I've tried. I also noticed a light fruity sweetness.

Taste: Upfront there are tart lemony and citric flavors that mingle with a light sweetness. The finish is earthy and significantly sour. The flavors are mellower than the Organic Gueuze and definitely more mellow than Rosé De Gambrinus.

Mouthfeel: No detectable carbonation, smooth and a little watery with an extremely dry finish.

Drinkability: For a lambic this is very drinkable.

Overall: This beer is enjoyable, but it doesn't stand up to the Lou Pepe Kriek or the Rosé De Gambrinus. The qualities that cause the taste score to suffer increase the score for drinkability though.

06-10-2006 06:04:43 | More by EPICAC
WesWes

3.7/5  rDev -5.6%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pale and wheat malt scent along with a wickedly tart yeast aroma; very nice. I'm not picking up any oak barrel scents. The taste is good. It has a light malt flavor that seems a bit weak and watery. It goes down easy and finishes highly tart and fruity. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a good tasting beer, but it lacks mouthfeel and a real malt presence.

05-18-2006 23:24:45 | More by WesWes
BEERchitect

Kentucky

4.5/5  rDev +14.8%

One of the best unscrewed-with beers out there. I really appreciate what Cantillon accomplished with this brew. A very tart, sour smelling and tasting brew woven into a lightly hazed, canary yellow colored, thinly laced liquid. No head retention and no carbonation to speak of. It's perfect. Unblended and unadulterated goodness. Has a light citrus (lemon and limes) flavor with granny-smith apple and a light berry flavor. Mildly vineous and woodsy. Lightly musky and powdery. Intense sourness quickly gives way to an ultra clean, crisp feel. Lightly astringent and a tad grainy (to be expected). Flavors are fleeting and the body finishes abruptly. The perfet summertime thirst quincher. Ideal to style.

05-05-2006 18:28:09 | More by BEERchitect
SheepNutz

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev -1%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium orange color with almost no head. There's no lacing at all, the kind of appearance you'd expect from an unblended lambic. The smell is funktastic. Lots of sour and tart aromas. Nothing much else to it, yet nothing else is needed. It's intoxicating. The taste is nice and funky up front. Lots of that classic Cantillon musty flavors. It's too bad though, because the flavor drops off rather quickly. Where the hell did all the flavor go? The mouthfeel is a little weak and watery, but again, that's expected from this style. The drinkabiliy is wonderful though, and non-lambic lovers could easily handle this one.

05-04-2006 23:41:41 | More by SheepNutz
moderndrunkard

S. Georgia & S. Sandwich Isls.

4.08/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a slightly foggy, apple juice color (I was pleased to see that description in CAMRA's review as well). There is absolutely zero head with just a small amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass immediately after a hard pour. Maybe there was just dust in my glass, but I see a lot of something loating around in there when I hold it up to the light.

You can smell this one as soon as you start to pour, it fills the room. An acidic, wine-like smell, and, as would be customary for Cantillon, very, very, sour.

Wow. This beer has no carbonation whatsoever. But is does have a sour bite that runs all over my tongue. A wonder of a beer that brings to mind a dry wine, white or red, more than anything else. Grapes, definitely grapes.

Midway through first glass, I think, "Man, one would be fine, but I don't know about drinking a whole bottle." Too bad I still have two-thirds of the bottle still sitting in the fridge.

Personally, I'd prefer a gueze or a framboise. Without the carbonation the tartness can be very overpowering. But all in all, this is a wholly unique brew, and I highly recommend it.

04-28-2006 13:17:12 | More by moderndrunkard
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.6/5  rDev +17.3%

This is a unique, infinitely drinkable beer. It also has one of my favorite labels. This sample was bottled in 2005.

Upon popping the tight fitting cork, there was no perceptable noise or gun smoke, I could tell this stuff would be still. Lambic aromas instantly hit me. The color is a slightly hazy straw gold color, like light apple juice. There are no carbonation streams and no head at all, except for a few bubbles on a hard pours. I did notice a few bubbles clinging to the bottom of my Frank Boon flute.

The aroma is Cidery, fruity, citric with plenty of hay, horse manure and straight sourness. The nose is strong. The taste reminds me of other Cantillons, just slightly softer and less funky. Tonnes of complex lemony, sharp sour flavors in the beginning. Sourness and barnyardy flavors build in the middle. Theres also green apple skins, oaky flavors, hay, dry white wine and even sour cherry flavors. The finish is puckeringly sour and also earthy and funky. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery, no carbonation at all is perceptable. Bone dry throughout.

I love Cantillon. They make such incredibly complex beers. I havent tried that many, I really want to try more. I wish they were easier to come by in Ontario.

This was a unique experience, this is my first beer with almost no carbonation. I liked it. I prefer Cantillon Gueuze or Vignerrone, but this is a very worthy, complex and funky lambic.

04-23-2006 23:21:40 | More by CAMRAhardliner
dogfooddog

Panama

4.47/5  rDev +14%

750ml; 2005-dated cork comes out with NO pop. Pours with small amount of carbonation...remembering that this is an unblended lambic (I hope) I try to quit worrying.

This is a gold-colored beer, not as dark as the st. lamvinus but much darker than normal blended lambic products from this blender.

Taste - it's nearly flat. decently musty taste, somewhat sharp acidity at the sides of the mouth when drinking this. nice but i am underwhelmed, maybe spoiled by other recent cantillon lambics?

this beer is very pleasant but like the st lamvinus I am looking for the back end of the taste and aftertaste, but that is normally an attribute of unblended lambic.

Follow-up comment (3/27/6) - I had very mild heartburn/acid indigestion when I drank this beer on the review date. A few days later I had major heartburn when trying the 2003-cork fou fonne, where I actually noted it in the review. Yesterday I had another 2005-cork grand cru and noted the same mild heartburn sensation. I have had nearly all of cantillon's products over a number of years and these two are the only times I have felt this, and I still drink other products from them regularly. Not sure if this is a products of a particularly strong lambic year (2002 maybe?), or some other specific attribute. I had older versions of grand cru in the past with nary a symptom.

03-19-2006 04:21:48 | More by dogfooddog
VoodooBrew

South Carolina

3.9/5  rDev -0.5%

My first straight Lambic. (Thank you Texashammer!) Oh boy, what an introduction... couldn't quite have guessed what I was getting myself into.

On the pour this beer is for all intents and purposes completely flat, with a hazy peach-orange color that makes it look like apple cider. The nose is strikingly sweet and kinda funky, with an earthy, mineral note hanging back in there somewhere. Things get even more interesting and challenging on the palate, with intense tartness, acidity, and sweetness all contributing to decidedly un-beerlike experience. (At least, for a Lambic virgin such as myself.)

Since trying this beer I have since sampled a Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc blend that came surprisingly close to approximating the flavors of Cantillon Grand Cru. Well, as the label puts it, this is "truly wine from grain."

*Edit* I have since bumped up the scores for this beer as I have grown to LOVE sour beers. These adjustments are based on my assumption that, should I be fortunate enough to get my hands on this beer again, I can't help but think I'd be a lot more into it.

03-04-2006 17:49:06 | More by VoodooBrew
Gavage

3.88/5  rDev -1%

Appearance: clear yellow / orange in color with a 1/4" head that disappeared immediately. No lacing and no visible carbonation.

Smell: the aroma is of strong tart fruits, yeast and general muskiness.

Taste: interesting combination of earthiness, tart green apples, sour green grapes, musky mold, and yeast. Mouth puckering indeed.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Crisp and dry on the tongue. The sour and tart tones linger long into the aftertaste.

Drinkability: not bad, almost wine like. One of these is enjoyable every now and then if you are in the mood, but this is not a beer I can have every night.

02-21-2006 23:15:35 | More by Gavage
Xadoor

A friend brought this back while on a business trip. We drank it on New Years Eve while counting down to midnight. Another friend had been raving about Cantillon for months and I was glad to finally get to taste one of their beers. We poured it into flute glasses and it basically had no head and very little visible carbonation. Aroma was sour and earthy and the taste was about the same with a little fruitiness. Finish was very dry and tart. I have not had the opportunity to have very many true lambic style beers, but I certainly liked this one. Despite some rude comments from some non beer drinkers in the room regarding the smell and taste, we both found the beer to very drinkable and enjoyable. It would probably go very well with some strong cheeses and fruit. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try more of their beers.

01-04-2006 20:06:34 | More by Xadoor
Sephiroth

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +19.4%

Bottled in 2003: I bartended till about 11:30 Christmas Eve, so this, along with a 10 oz. filet and a 1lb. lobster tail were my rewards.

The pour is totally still, save for the few bubbles resulting from the rough pour. Looking straight down at the beer, there appears to be an oil slick on top. With this beer, the smell and the taste are the same. Sour, funky, barnyard, hay, and fresh dirt. Kind of tart. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability is great with the surf and turf. If paired with just the lobster tail, it wouldn't go so well. The key is the filet, seared on each side and finished in the oven. Mmm.

12-25-2005 23:51:41 | More by Sephiroth
falloutsnow

Cork says it was bottled in 2003.

A: Pours a hazy, murky golden amber without any noticeable carbonation or head. There are a few bubbles around the edges of the glass that tend to leave a slight haze after one takes a drink.

S: The bitterness is apparent upon simply putting the nose near the glass. Detecting traces of pear and apple with something of a leathery nature ghosting around as well.

T: Key adjectives for this one: acidic, bitter, tart. Similar to unripe or sour fruit (grapefruit, lemons, limes, apples) with its sharpness, but the intensity is short-lived, which is actually rather pleasant and refreshing.

M: Mouthfeel is best described as "warm" and medium-bodied (not watery, but not "thick"). The acid burn is not too intense on the mouth and the dry finish leads one to look towards the next sip.

D: An interesting, solidly produced beer. The tartness and acidity make it a strong choice for the special "once in a while" brew, something worth revisiting from time to time. I can imagine this being excellent with a meal to lessen the "tartness apathy" it instills after at time.

12-04-2005 04:08:37 | More by falloutsnow