Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Feb '07 date on the back of the label. I was worried because the bottles were a little dusty, but went for it anyhow, since I loved other Cantillons...
Pours very still into a wine glass. No head, no carbonation. A nice, sunny orangey-gold color.
The smell is brett funk...that nice horse-blankety sour smell with some lemon or some other unripe fruits.
The taste is about the same. Wow...that tartness sure gets you in the back of the throat after the swallow! I love that sensation. There is a very vague metallic taste I'm getting afterwards, also.
I was a bit disappointed that there was so little carbonation, because I really think that adds to a nice lambic - those teeny bubbles dancing on the lounge before you get walloped by the funk.
I don't think I'll try this one again because the price is a bit much for my income, and I don't think it blew me away the way an $18 beer should. But it was still nice to try, especially for fans of the style.

3.37/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I had never seen this particular Cantillon beer around, so decided that it might be good for a hot day like today. Poured in to a wine glass (as suggested) an orange amber color, with quite literally no head at all. Aroma is typical for a Cantillon brew, with lemon, grass, yeast, some funk etc. Taste is of fresh lemons, oranges, grain and some slight vinegar. This one is not quite as mouth puckering as some of the other brews I have sampled from this brewery. Perhaps the age of this beer has calmed it down a bit. Body is my only real gripe with this beer. There is no carbonation whatsoever. I suppose that is what they were going for in their comparing it to a chardonnay, but I like at least some fizz in my beer. A bottle was rather easy to drink. Not a bad beer IMO, but not something that I will be purchasing again. I will stick with the Iris.

2.1/5  rDev -46.4%

A: Pours a clear light orange with no head to speak of. Maybe the slightest ring around the top.

S: Very pungent tart smell. It has an earthy aroma as well.

T: Extremely sour! So sour it is overpowering. I had only had one Lambic before and it was very sweet. Now that I read about this style I see that it is meant to be more tart, but I cant believe it is meant to be like this. Once I get past the tartness, it has a very dry finish after the lemony acidic sourness. This is really not for me, but I tried not to hammer it too bas since it appears this is how this style is meant to taste. I will be sure not to get another unblended lambic.

M: Extremely thin and no carbonation. If you like sour stuff maybe you would enjoy this one in the mouth. I do not.

D: Well I hate to waste beer, but most of this one is going down the sink. I tried to enjoy it, but I would rather have water than this one. Its just not my thing.

1.65/5  rDev -57.9%

Slightly hazy golden pour with zero head whatsoever. Smells like a dirty medicated band-aid. Musty, funky, bacteria laden. Taste is completely bland, acidic tartness. No balancing malt. Zero carbonation and feels like drinking rancid bile water. Not an example of the style that I enjoyed, and I found this very hard to drink, unfortunately.

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%

On tap at Falling Rock.

Poured a brilliant yellow with a small white head.

The aroma was full of brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, some acetic note, and mild cheesiness.

The flavor was pretty tart and acidic. The beer had a clean biscuity backbone (very subtle, but nice). Slight wheatiness. There was a nice grapefruit pith bitterness in the finish. Seemed a touch maltier than some other Cantillons.

The bottled versions I've had were still, but since this was on a draft system, it had picked up a nice carbonation that made it better IMO. The carbonation was spritzy the mouthfeel was light and crisp.

Very refreshing and highly drinkable. Better on tap than the bottled version.

3.65/5  rDev -6.9%

Golden-orange, apricot color with virtually no head or apparent carbonation.

Sour barnyard smell with sweet fruity tartness.

Tart, musty barnyard with sour lactic acid impression, not much fruit.

Non-carbonation works surprisingly well for this sour, interesting change from the aggressive foaming of say, a geuze with similar flavors.

4.32/5  rDev +10.2%

Corked with date imprinted 2004. Sampled 12/07. Aged 3 years in oak casks.

A: Poured a clear bright golden-orange color with virtually no head.

S: The nose was yeasty with sour fruit (green apples, peaches, apricots). The nose was very aromatic and perfumy with a beautiful scent of sour fruitiness.

T: The initial flavor was soured fruit (apples, apricots, peaches). There was a dominate sour peach flavor with a moderate acidic bite. The mouthful was light and slick with nice sour citrusy notes. There were some slight hints of white grapes and lemons as well. The beer was lighty carbonated per style and very soft on the tongue delivering a huge sourness of flavors leaving a moderate but crisp fade. The oaky character was very light and covered by the sourness of this beer.

M: light, oily slick texture. very soft carbonation.

D: Definitly a great single blended lambic that will leave you puckering from the sourness and wanting more. Very acidic and tart.

3.85/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled in 2005. Equal parts ripe apricot and amber, possibly favoring the former. A static cloud of fine yeast gives the beer needed visual interest (since the head is nearly absent). As I understand it, lambics are essentially uncarbonated, hence the lack of foam and lace. Given that it's supposed to look like this, it isn't easy to pick a score.

The aroma has a lot in common with white grape juice that is incredibly tart and acidic rather than sweet. There's also a funkiness that is much less... uh... funky than Brettanomyces and is completely different in character. I expect to like this one.

Wow that's tart! If I was an oenophile, I'm sure there's some wine that I could compare this unblended lambic to. How about a bottle of whatever white wine is most puckery, acidic and dry... mixed with a few ounces of apple cider vinegar and a shot of freshly squeezed lemon juice.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is definitely different, but I can see myself acquiring this acquired taste over time. Having said that, getting through the entire '750' won't be easy. If you like acidic, pop a few Tums, pull the cork and pour.

The thing that keeps me from loving what is undoubtedly a classic unblended lambic is the lack of depth and complexity. On the other hand, maybe I just can't appreciate it due to my relative unfamiliarity with beer of this style. In the end, I prefer the added flavor of raspberries in Rose De Gambrinus and the added flavor of grapes in Saint Lamvinus.

Like the appearance, I'm finding it hard to come up with a mouthfeel score that respects the style guidelines while still staying true to my sensory impressions. At the risk of being thought unsophisticated, it's thin and borderline flat and I don't love it.

I've heard all sorts of scary things about real lambics (not those stickysweet fruit lambics that qualify as chick beer). About how they're hard-edged, uncompromising, extremely variable from batch to batch, and so on. Broucsella 1900 Grand Cru is pretty easy to live with and the first half has gone well enough. When it's all said and done, though, I don't think I'll be plunking down the cash for another bottle.

3.82/5  rDev -2.6%

A - Pours with absolutely no head and a slightly hazy golden body.

S - Musty and earthy with strong sourness. Notes of mustard, pepper and a bit of pineapple.

T - Strong, lemony acidity with pepper, mustard and oak. The earthy funk is present, but not as prominent as one might imagine. The finish is fairly mellow with lingering citrus acidity and some vanilla.

M - Medium body, no carbonation and a very dry finish.

D - It is tough to give straight lambic a drinkability rating. I don't want to drink the whole bottle and even if I did I don't think I could find enough tums to counteract the heartburn it would give me. That said, this is a nice refreshing lambic. Good complexity in the aroma (although the flavor is a bit flat) and while the acidity is overwhelming in the beginning, it finishes smooth enough to let your palate come up for air.

I had this bottle in my refrigerator for quite a while, waiting for the perfect time to open it and I finally just decided to open it with dinner tonight. I paired it with honey mustard glazed Basa fillets and Sauteed green beans and garlic. I was afraid the sweet glaze on the fish would clash with the sour beer, but it was an excellent match. It was happy surprise that the beer contained some mustard notes that further complimented the glaze. The beans were more ambivalent, but the sourness of the lambic complimented the garlic in a nice way.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

Off notes from 6-2007. Pours a hazed gold with a funky nose (surprise, surprise). Flavor is a load of tangy oranges. The liquid feel is thicker than I usually expect lambics to be. It's good. Not my favorite lambic really, but still pretty decent. Just a bit too tangy for my likes is all.

3.43/5  rDev -12.5%

Hmmn. After lots of various lambics and Guezes, I believe this is my forst still, unblended lambic. I definitely prefer blended ;ambics and some carbonation. That said, it is what it is. Poured absolutely still and golden, just the tiniest bit hazy. The smell is very light, with lemon sourness up front followed by some light barnyard aromas and finishing with a spritz of acetic aroma. Taste is sour and slightly herbal up front, sorta like orange juice tastes after brushing your teeth. This is followed by flavors of ripe soft cheese and some oaky tannic bitterness. Mouthfeel is still, tannic, and a litttle puckery. Not really my style, but interesting to try.

2.63/5  rDev -32.9%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru

A = Poured a light copper with no foam.

S = Light apple smell with a hint of apple.

T = Sour. Really sour. Initial lemon tartness followed by a slightly dry finish.

M = Coats tongue with a dryness. Little to no carbonation. Very thin bodied.

D = Not my cup of tea. Never again.

3.55/5  rDev -9.4%

Gotta get to the aroma quickly – first, the pour. Clear apple cider orange, no head even with aggressive pours into the ol’ Corsendonk tulip.

But brother, is that some funk! Musty barnyard, yum! Actually, not a bad smell, just so funky different. Sour apple tart taste, like a cider that’s sat out too long. Light bodied with hidden carbonation – a definite sour sipper, the 5% is easy on the head. Too sour for me to make this a regular in the beer fridge.

Some string provel cheese will go nicely with the next glass.

3.87/5  rDev -1.3%

1 pt 9.4 fl oz green champagne bottle; corked and wrapped in foil.
Bottled in 2007.
Served in an oversized wine glass at room temperature.

Bright, light copper with a faint haze. A thin layer of broken film, but no head to speak of. No noticeable lacing as expected.

Sour, fruity esters: lemon, grapefruit, apple, cherry with a layer of complex must. Notes of vanilla sweetness. Sherry-like alcohol whaffs and dry, oak aromas.

Phenolic, musty yeast upfront with a somewhat strong and stiff wooden flavor. Notes of sharp acidity and sourness that weave in and out, but always stay in the background behind the oak and yeast. Cherry, lemnon, and orange fruity esters. Vinegar and sherry in the finish with slick waves of alcohol; slight oxidation.

Light, medium in body; smooth and warm. A bit thin with a few signs of oxidation.

A delicate, somewhat reserved Lambic; no doubt due to the three years of aging in oak barrels. Not my personal favorite of the Cantillon offerings, but pleasant.

4.12/5  rDev +5.1%

Picked up at Premier Gourmet I believe, somewhere in Buffalo. Corked, capped and foiled 750 ml.

Pours a clear gold, tiny white head forms, big bubbles, leaves a ring around the glass. Smell is insane, acidic, citrusy lime, salt and vinegar, barnyardy funk, almost burns my nostrils! Taste is similar, very acidic, citric, sour funk, malt middle, vinegar, barnyard, tart lime finish, crazy. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium to high carbonation. Another Cantillon I want more of. So crazy but so good.

3.52/5  rDev -10.2%

Originally reviewed March 25, 2007. 750mL thanks to Dr. Bill. Horsey wild grunge with an almost lemon goat cheese lactic flush. Mexican cilantro floralness kicks in and runs through the nostrils. Pours a clouded pale gold. Crushing sour tannic flavor, with raging earthy mustiness. Sewer notes? Very parching and old, with fresh bandages. Astonishing acidity and finishes with a hop-lavender flutter. Smacks on lemon pith. A little coarse and biting, but somewhat endearing.

Served in a tumbler at Map Room 6/23/07.

A: Hazy straw color with a teenie head. Not even a hint of lace.

S: Tart and funky. Very earthy aroma!

T: See above. Incredible!

M: Tart and prickly to the tongue. Memorable.

D: Surprisingly refreshing. Drinkability kept getting better and better as the temperature rose.

3.3/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a hazy, still golden body with a thin, white head.

Smell: The cold hard fact that this smells exactly like TheBeerCellar's 1978 "Gas Line" Lemonade is totally indisputable.

Taste: A slight upfront sweetness layered with lemons and hay. Hints of wood and salt. Plenty of vinegary acidity on the dry, pucker-inducing finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin-bodied. Very little carbonation to speak of. Just the slightest bit oily in the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I'm tellin' ya, "Gas Line Lemonade".

4.37/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pale, turbid auric hue. It's nearly still, thus no head or lace forms. Initial waft of fermented lemon peel and overripe apricot gives way to soft leathery notes along with sweetart hints of partially converted cider and white wine vinegar. Swirling release notions of honey and aspirin. Enticing aromawise, indeed. Incipient in flavor is a brusque wash of clean, simply tart dilute acetic acid. Ensuing mid palate is a burly melange of goaty caproic acid, tepid lactic acid tartness, all enveloped by rounded fermented citrus pith like bitterness. As the beer warms, lemon and dried sour plum candy hints arise along with suggestions of powdered quinine. Dusty, thinnish mouthfeel that's akin to filtered still cider. Finishes with a snap of bile - like bitterness and lingering white grape skin like tannins. A delicious lambic, with stunning complexities, yet it sits softly on the palate. Outstanding. Big thanks to Realale for this fine brew.

4.52/5  rDev +15.3%

My first non-fruit straight lambic beer...and quite a beer it was! Unfortunately, the bartender filled the glasses all the way up and skimmed off the head, but from what I can tell the beer still looked appealing. Most lambics don't get much of a head without a hard pour anyways...
The beer is pretty straightforward with the flavor: imagine a fruit lambic without any sweetness from the fruit and you have this beer. Not as a gentle as some gueuzes, this is just straight up sourness. Loved it and it would make an excellent session beer for lambic lovers.

4.35/5  rDev +11%

This beer pours a golden yellow color with almost no head. What little head is present is white. It leaves a tiny lacing in the glass.

This beer has a sour aroma. It smells slightly of vinegar. It has a very subtle citrus aroma as well. I slight yeasty aroma is also present.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. It has a tart, citrus flavor. It is quite sour tasting. A slight vinegar flavor is present. Some earthy yeast is there also, but it is covered mostly by the strong sour flavor.

This beer leaves a sour aftertaste. It is a little aggressive, due to the sour flavor. It is very low in carbonation.

I think this beer would make a decent session beer. The only problem would be the sour flavor getting cloying after too many.

Overall: I am glad to have tried this beer. I liked it, and would definately have it again.

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%

Tough beer to review; not like others I've had. Poured into a flute, it's a dark yellow with no carbonation. It looks like a glass of wine. An intriguing fruity, musty aroma, with perhaps a little spice. Sour fruit (apple) taste. Very still. I initially didn't like it, but as it warmed a little and I got used to it, I began to enjoy it more. I'll probably try it again.

2.53/5  rDev -35.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Paid 11.99 (!) for a bottle. Pours a hazy, dirty light yellow/orange with a bit of rust contamination. Poorly worded there - the color is very nice. No head to speak of. Taste/smell is all lambic, except this is really over the top. Acidity is so high it's like a sour-patch-kid. There is a lot of complexity, but so dominated by the acidity it's tough to tell what else is there. I thought oak-aging would mellow a beer like this (i.e. Oaked Arrogant Bastard)?!? Mouthfeel is very winey, but rich and supportive. Carbonation is too strong, almost fizzy.

This is a well put-together beer, and you can tell there is a lot of quality and thought to this, however it just doesn't come together as well as you'd hope. There are definitely better lambics out there.

3.36/5  rDev -14.3%

This is my first "pure" (unblended) lambic, but I'll do my best here as I've recently taken an interest in this style.

This beer pours a dark yellow...and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it looks a chardonnay that is seriously past its prime.

Aroma is pure sour, with very little fruit aroma.

Taste is significantly sour, with a mellow chardonnay grape flavor. It is very tasty, and I prefer the 3-year-old mellowness of this beer to the geuze that I had before it.

This beer's mouthfeel is very wine-like. The beer has very little carbonation. This near-flatness makes it a rather big in your mouth, much like a wine.

Very interesting, and recommended.

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml bottle purchased in Ohio on a recent trip. Poured into a tulip.

Pours with what appears to be absolutely no carbonation. The cork say's it was bottled in 2002. I've had bottles much older than that which retained carbonation. Considering this bottle is corked and crowned, I imagine it was meant to be like this. My understanding and experience with lambics lead me to believe that they tend to have relatively high carbonation levels. Color is a very pale color with decent clarity.

Smell is tart which is to be expected. I also pick up hints of chardonnay. Strange, but pleasing. I imagine if there was more carbonation the nose would be more pronounced.

Taste is great. A solid tartness to it but not over powerful. More toned down than a gueze but still enough for the style. The flavor and sourness go away rather quickly though, oh well, guess I'll keep drinking. Thin mouth feel.

Overall a very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I picked this up for $9, which for a Cantillon 750 seems like a hell of a deal. I would definitely recommend this and would love to have more lying around for myself.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon