Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.22/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from 750ml bottle, slightly chilled, into a wine glass. Hazed golden hue, very delicate and still, with a light ring of froth around the rim of the glass. Sour apple in the nose. Tart upfront, which isn’t so harsh after the first sip. Sour mash/bretty tastes dominate the flavor, but a light pear or apple infused white wine (no idea what grape) is noted. Mouthfeel is very dry and light, with a puckering sour finish. Very enjoyable, easy enough to drink. Drink it slow, however, and appreciate its complexities.

bwyker, Sep 09, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -10.2%

I was handed a glass of this unusual beer at a small party this evening and I was told it was something special from Belgium. I put my nose to it right away to ascertain it values after being told it was a lambic. I thought the fragrances of tart apples and fruit were going to knock me out or at least scare me away from enjoying it.

The first taste was a very spicy and tart flavor that made me question, like many other Belgian beers I had tasted recently, was this made from apples and hard cider. I put the glass down to taste the home brewed version of Poor Richard's I had made with great success. It's smooth sweet flavor contrasted well with the lambic which I thought may have needed more time to settle.

I remarked that while this could be found at Whole Foods, I didn't think it would be served in Shea stadium anytime soon as one needed a lot of time to go over it to find its reason of being.

bonbright7, Aug 27, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +9.4%

How unusual!! And perplexing. This is a still bottling of a single barrel, (in otherwords, no yeast/sugar added to promote carbonation in the bottle). If I am to contemplate this I would say it sounds like a marketing gimmick. Especially, that there is the added "Grand Cru" designation. Again, sounds like a smart way to market extra barrel-aged beer that otherwise doesn't have a home. I've never been to Belgium though, and don't know how often they serve still samples of unblended lambic, so I won't say more then 'I'm surprised'. After reading the reviews I see that some years are carbonated. This here is from 2003, and certainly has no carbonation.
Pours still, no carbonation. Makes the glass appear to be sweating from the inside as bubbles collect on the inside. A beer that makes a glass sweat on the inside must have powerful soul. Looks like rusty water. First glance says, "thin." However, upon further gaze and concentration while I roll my hand this is definitely viscuous, and soapy the way it grips the glass.
A breeze past my flaring nostrils catches musty basement, sweating sour wood, mild white wine vinegar; A second pass and I pick up cooing baby pee diaper, vanilla, apples under a full-size apple tree in August next to an open stable. Deep inhale and it all comes together as though I were sitting on a sweating pony that is munching on those fallen, fermenting apples.
This has a thick-water feel that is mineral rich as though the water sat in a cistern for a long while. It has the affect that I get upon chewing on some fresh bio-dynamic spinach: The corners of my mouth are itchy with minerals, and acid. The oak is puckering. The body is as soft as the favorite parts of my lover. Did someone sqeeze a fruit tree through a juicer here? This is so dry except for a keel of honey thinned with green apple juice, a couple drops of tropical fruit essence, and grain soaking water. The sourness is so pervasive, but smooth. Sip after sip gives me pleasure that is both relaxing, and inpsiring. This is a real transport beyond time. This kind of pleasure is why people smoke a pin joint every evening; or pour a couple fingers of bourbon, or scotch; or light aromatherapy candles around the bath/hot tub. This is gentle relaxation. It is the definition of idle time well spent.

gbontrag, Aug 14, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Upon pouring the head if you want to call it that dissapears almost before you have the bottle in an upright position. A thin white ring rests against the circular realms of my Lindeman's flute.

Ahh the lovely smell of the wild belgian yeast, very sour, earthy aromas. Powerful, thick and barnyardy, hints of manure, hay, citric acid, and other fruity endeavors, with a twist of oak somewhat masked underneath.

Man that is sour goodness. This lambic had a finish that lasts a good while. Sour as hell, with big wild yeast flavors, subtle oak flavors, extremely high acid content, same earthy tones with more of a fruit forward type of burst.

A good lambic as all Cantillon's I've sampled have been. However I find the mouthfeel to be way to thin on this one. I think it could have used a little more cabonation, or at least strength to balance the acidity.

mcallister, Jul 15, 2006
3.93/5  rDev 0%

I purchased this at Downtown Wine & Spirits tonight. I chilled it in the fridge and served it in one of my New Belgium snifters. This is the fourth Cantillon beer that I've had in the last few weeks.

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden with a thin layer of large bubbles that quickly disappear leaving only a transient thin ring.

Smell: Much like the other Cantillon lambics the nose is dominated by sour musty earthy aromas. These are more subdued than the other Cantillon beers that I've tried. I also noticed a light fruity sweetness.

Taste: Upfront there are tart lemony and citric flavors that mingle with a light sweetness. The finish is earthy and significantly sour. The flavors are mellower than the Organic Gueuze and definitely more mellow than Rosé De Gambrinus.

Mouthfeel: No detectable carbonation, smooth and a little watery with an extremely dry finish.

Drinkability: For a lambic this is very drinkable.

Overall: This beer is enjoyable, but it doesn't stand up to the Lou Pepe Kriek or the Rosé De Gambrinus. The qualities that cause the taste score to suffer increase the score for drinkability though.

EPICAC, Jun 10, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -5.9%

The beer pours a hazy gold color with a thin white head that quickly fades to lacing. The aroma is good. It has a light pale and wheat malt scent along with a wickedly tart yeast aroma; very nice. I'm not picking up any oak barrel scents. The taste is good. It has a light malt flavor that seems a bit weak and watery. It goes down easy and finishes highly tart and fruity. The mouthfeel is decent. It is a medium bodied beer with less than adequate carbonation. This is a good tasting beer, but it lacks mouthfeel and a real malt presence.

WesWes, May 19, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

One of the best unscrewed-with beers out there. I really appreciate what Cantillon accomplished with this brew. A very tart, sour smelling and tasting brew woven into a lightly hazed, canary yellow colored, thinly laced liquid. No head retention and no carbonation to speak of. It's perfect. Unblended and unadulterated goodness. Has a light citrus (lemon and limes) flavor with granny-smith apple and a light berry flavor. Mildly vineous and woodsy. Lightly musky and powdery. Intense sourness quickly gives way to an ultra clean, crisp feel. Lightly astringent and a tad grainy (to be expected). Flavors are fleeting and the body finishes abruptly. The perfet summertime thirst quincher. Ideal to style.

BEERchitect, May 05, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

750mL bottle poured into a snifter. It pours a slightly hazy medium orange color with almost no head. There's no lacing at all, the kind of appearance you'd expect from an unblended lambic. The smell is funktastic. Lots of sour and tart aromas. Nothing much else to it, yet nothing else is needed. It's intoxicating. The taste is nice and funky up front. Lots of that classic Cantillon musty flavors. It's too bad though, because the flavor drops off rather quickly. Where the hell did all the flavor go? The mouthfeel is a little weak and watery, but again, that's expected from this style. The drinkabiliy is wonderful though, and non-lambic lovers could easily handle this one.

SheepNutz, May 05, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

Pours a slightly foggy, apple juice color (I was pleased to see that description in CAMRA's review as well). There is absolutely zero head with just a small amount of bubbles clinging to the sides of the glass immediately after a hard pour. Maybe there was just dust in my glass, but I see a lot of something loating around in there when I hold it up to the light.

You can smell this one as soon as you start to pour, it fills the room. An acidic, wine-like smell, and, as would be customary for Cantillon, very, very, sour.

Wow. This beer has no carbonation whatsoever. But is does have a sour bite that runs all over my tongue. A wonder of a beer that brings to mind a dry wine, white or red, more than anything else. Grapes, definitely grapes.

Midway through first glass, I think, "Man, one would be fine, but I don't know about drinking a whole bottle." Too bad I still have two-thirds of the bottle still sitting in the fridge.

Personally, I'd prefer a gueze or a framboise. Without the carbonation the tartness can be very overpowering. But all in all, this is a wholly unique brew, and I highly recommend it.

moderndrunkard, Apr 28, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a unique, infinitely drinkable beer. It also has one of my favorite labels. This sample was bottled in 2005.

Upon popping the tight fitting cork, there was no perceptable noise or gun smoke, I could tell this stuff would be still. Lambic aromas instantly hit me. The color is a slightly hazy straw gold color, like light apple juice. There are no carbonation streams and no head at all, except for a few bubbles on a hard pours. I did notice a few bubbles clinging to the bottom of my Frank Boon flute.

The aroma is Cidery, fruity, citric with plenty of hay, horse manure and straight sourness. The nose is strong. The taste reminds me of other Cantillons, just slightly softer and less funky. Tonnes of complex lemony, sharp sour flavors in the beginning. Sourness and barnyardy flavors build in the middle. Theres also green apple skins, oaky flavors, hay, dry white wine and even sour cherry flavors. The finish is puckeringly sour and also earthy and funky. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery, no carbonation at all is perceptable. Bone dry throughout.

I love Cantillon. They make such incredibly complex beers. I havent tried that many, I really want to try more. I wish they were easier to come by in Ontario.

This was a unique experience, this is my first beer with almost no carbonation. I liked it. I prefer Cantillon Gueuze or Vignerrone, but this is a very worthy, complex and funky lambic.

CAMRAhardliner, Apr 24, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +13.7%

750ml; 2005-dated cork comes out with NO pop. Pours with small amount of carbonation...remembering that this is an unblended lambic (I hope) I try to quit worrying.

This is a gold-colored beer, not as dark as the st. lamvinus but much darker than normal blended lambic products from this blender.

Taste - it's nearly flat. decently musty taste, somewhat sharp acidity at the sides of the mouth when drinking this. nice but i am underwhelmed, maybe spoiled by other recent cantillon lambics?

this beer is very pleasant but like the st lamvinus I am looking for the back end of the taste and aftertaste, but that is normally an attribute of unblended lambic.

Follow-up comment (3/27/6) - I had very mild heartburn/acid indigestion when I drank this beer on the review date. A few days later I had major heartburn when trying the 2003-cork fou fonne, where I actually noted it in the review. Yesterday I had another 2005-cork grand cru and noted the same mild heartburn sensation. I have had nearly all of cantillon's products over a number of years and these two are the only times I have felt this, and I still drink other products from them regularly. Not sure if this is a products of a particularly strong lambic year (2002 maybe?), or some other specific attribute. I had older versions of grand cru in the past with nary a symptom.

dogfooddog, Mar 19, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

My first straight Lambic. (Thank you Texashammer!) Oh boy, what an introduction... couldn't quite have guessed what I was getting myself into.

On the pour this beer is for all intents and purposes completely flat, with a hazy peach-orange color that makes it look like apple cider. The nose is strikingly sweet and kinda funky, with an earthy, mineral note hanging back in there somewhere. Things get even more interesting and challenging on the palate, with intense tartness, acidity, and sweetness all contributing to decidedly un-beerlike experience. (At least, for a Lambic virgin such as myself.)

Since trying this beer I have since sampled a Semillon-Sauvignon Blanc blend that came surprisingly close to approximating the flavors of Cantillon Grand Cru. Well, as the label puts it, this is "truly wine from grain."

*Edit* I have since bumped up the scores for this beer as I have grown to LOVE sour beers. These adjustments are based on my assumption that, should I be fortunate enough to get my hands on this beer again, I can't help but think I'd be a lot more into it.

VoodooBrew, Mar 04, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: clear yellow / orange in color with a 1/4" head that disappeared immediately. No lacing and no visible carbonation.

Smell: the aroma is of strong tart fruits, yeast and general muskiness.

Taste: interesting combination of earthiness, tart green apples, sour green grapes, musky mold, and yeast. Mouth puckering indeed.

Mouthfeel: lighter in body. Crisp and dry on the tongue. The sour and tart tones linger long into the aftertaste.

Drinkability: not bad, almost wine like. One of these is enjoyable every now and then if you are in the mood, but this is not a beer I can have every night.

Gavage, Feb 21, 2006

A friend brought this back while on a business trip. We drank it on New Years Eve while counting down to midnight. Another friend had been raving about Cantillon for months and I was glad to finally get to taste one of their beers. We poured it into flute glasses and it basically had no head and very little visible carbonation. Aroma was sour and earthy and the taste was about the same with a little fruitiness. Finish was very dry and tart. I have not had the opportunity to have very many true lambic style beers, but I certainly liked this one. Despite some rude comments from some non beer drinkers in the room regarding the smell and taste, we both found the beer to very drinkable and enjoyable. It would probably go very well with some strong cheeses and fruit. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try more of their beers.

Xadoor, Jan 04, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +19.1%

Bottled in 2003: I bartended till about 11:30 Christmas Eve, so this, along with a 10 oz. filet and a 1lb. lobster tail were my rewards.

The pour is totally still, save for the few bubbles resulting from the rough pour. Looking straight down at the beer, there appears to be an oil slick on top. With this beer, the smell and the taste are the same. Sour, funky, barnyard, hay, and fresh dirt. Kind of tart. Mouthfeel is good, drinkability is great with the surf and turf. If paired with just the lobster tail, it wouldn't go so well. The key is the filet, seared on each side and finished in the oven. Mmm.

Sephiroth, Dec 25, 2005

Cork says it was bottled in 2003.

A: Pours a hazy, murky golden amber without any noticeable carbonation or head. There are a few bubbles around the edges of the glass that tend to leave a slight haze after one takes a drink.

S: The bitterness is apparent upon simply putting the nose near the glass. Detecting traces of pear and apple with something of a leathery nature ghosting around as well.

T: Key adjectives for this one: acidic, bitter, tart. Similar to unripe or sour fruit (grapefruit, lemons, limes, apples) with its sharpness, but the intensity is short-lived, which is actually rather pleasant and refreshing.

M: Mouthfeel is best described as "warm" and medium-bodied (not watery, but not "thick"). The acid burn is not too intense on the mouth and the dry finish leads one to look towards the next sip.

D: An interesting, solidly produced beer. The tartness and acidity make it a strong choice for the special "once in a while" brew, something worth revisiting from time to time. I can imagine this being excellent with a meal to lessen the "tartness apathy" it instills after at time.

falloutsnow, Dec 04, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +3.8%

2001 "Bio" vintage.

Appearance: Golden peach, with little to no head to speak of.

Smell: Boy do I love the aroma of the stuff that comes out of this brewery...Pepper, mint, and just plain barnyard, dusty attic with cobwebs funky!

Taste: It's smoother than some of the other Cantillons I've had the previlege to sample in the past, it's not as astringent and mouth-puckering as I would like, but still has a nice refreshing acidity.

Goldorak, Oct 18, 2005

(Served in a flute)

A- This beer pours a slightly hazy golden deep yellow with no visible carbonation and no head except for a dozen big bubbles.

S- A slightly sour tart sent with a hint of canned tuna fish. A faint hint of goat and hay.

T- Bold grapefruit taste with faint horsey characteristics. The finish is dry and tart. Nice soft oaky hint in the finish.

M- Light body with a bold dry pucker but no astringency.

D- This is very smooth and doesn't have a lot of flavors from the barnyard. The tartness and crisp refreshing taste makes this really refreshing. I guess the age has really made this smooth.

rhoadsrage, Oct 16, 2005

2001 vintage

What a drinker! Pristinely clear gold-orange, tinny in tone but shiny as all get out. Light head on top gets supported by plenty of tight carbonation. Scents are all layers of tartness, bretty spices and herbs, and a malt ravaged by all types of things I don't attempt to understand. Exceptionally clean clear flavor, just exploding with balanced tart and sour with the raw funk of nature. Tons of slick malts behind it all with pils, kilned sweetness, and wheat twisted by wild yeast. Carbonation is a dream, sprite yet soft, an amazing effect and aids the flavor tons. Slick and complex. Damn, like the Brueghel painting I could drink this by the tankard on a Fall night. Can we get more unblended lambics, please? A fascinating experience as the lack of barrel blending makes a for a clear and singular flavor profile.

nomad, Oct 03, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

2003. Pours an orange color with no carbonation and no head. Aroma has a lot of sour notes along with some fruity hints. The flavor is extremely smooth - I believe this has something to do with the lack of carbonation. Flows really well on the palate. Lots of sour flavors in there and some fruits that I can't pick out because of the sourness. The mouthfeel seems extremely thin, but this could be caused by the lack of carbonation. If you like sour beers, this one is a good one.

clvand0, Sep 30, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours a light copper color with very nice clarity. Light chunk fell into the glass before I could stop it. A very nice looking brew. No bubbles are present, suggesting a still beer. The nose is divine. Acrid sour and tart, but not offensive at all. Lemony and funky acidic. I dig it a lot. Flavor is very well balanced and unoffensive. I get a lemon start to the beer before swallowing. After swallowing, the light sourness and acidic nature hits, but nowhere near as strong as others I've had. The sourness does not linger at all,moving to a slightly sweet finish. The feel is moderate with no carbonation. Slightly sticky spit hangs on my tongue, but not too much. Incredibly drinkable beer. I really enjoy it. Its a toned down gueuze that makes the drinking very easy.

kmpitz2, Sep 30, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -22.9%

I had held this Cantillon in proper storage for some months now, and yesterday's arrival of a long time friend called for a bit of beer.

The 75cl bottle, unlike other Cantillons did not make a small gas related pop once the cork was drawn. It was the first bad sign.

The pour was almost completely flat, but I reckon other bright lambics aren't all that carbonated. this is much more like a wine than a beer, I said to myself. Appearance-wise, all the rest seemed perfectly normal: nice inside-of-an-apple sort of yellowish tones, a thin layer of bubbles atop.

I guess that was the only bad incident, but the rest of the beer I did not enjoy because it seems to me that it's too much like their other beers. the sour smell was a clear upfront indicator, I could've been drinking any other Cantillon Lambic here. Side-by-sidedness would not help. Plus, it wasn't too carbonated either. and the saltyness I'd felt before was still there.

Andreji, Aug 13, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -3.3%

Mellowed out cellared bottle.Just a mellow cantillon sounress and oak flavour, but well done on that account. Went well went varied with a doppleback and a mead. Cloudy yellow with no lace. Medium mouthfeel with acid that was tolerable. tart, dry finish.

Sammy, Aug 01, 2005

*1999 Vintage*

Presentation: Standard green glass 1 Pint 9.40 fl.oz. dimpled based flask bottle. Current labels typically show Bruegels' “The Wedding Feast”, depicting a typical Flemish scene showing the consumption of lambic from Jugs. However, the bottle I have has a picture of the 15th Century Gothic City Hall with its magnificent tower which is just shy of being 100 metres (315ft) tall. Labeled as “Grand Cru Bruocsella 1999’, sealed with a thick black foil, crown cap and a very clean, easily extracted cork dated 2.002, revealing that this is in indeed a 3 year old unblended lambic which has been aged in Oak Casks.

This is not a Gueuze, but a “top of the line” 3 year old lambic, unblended, hence the Grand Cru moniker. Served at 50-55 Deg.F.

Appearance: A light head forms but it is weak in stature, this is to be expected though from a 3 year old lambic. However, it soon rescinds to reveal a flat like russet gold torso that edges the Cantillon tumbler walls with a very thin slim white halo ring. The sheer sunny marmalade body has a flaccid appearance but sometimes has lots of dissolved bubbles that seemingly float freely in suspension, but given time this ends up looking like a tumbler of flat Cider or dark white wine.

Nose: Ooooh yeah baby, this is a hard core lambic, hands down. Acidic, dry and astringent, it has a gorgeous odor that pulls in the nasal hairs. Reminiscent of a sharp dry cider that can sting when deeply inhaled.

Taste: Fantastically dry and puckering, fine edged oak astringency lingers from start to finish. Dry and acidic with a Granny Smith apple sharpness. Desert humidity flashes a heated dry air across the tongue whilst it pulls in the cheeks with a Brett laden winch. A classic, this is lambic. Sheer perfection.

Mouthfeel: Muscat grapes and a white oak dryness linger with an anhydric vinegar middle. Shockingly dry finish that can perpetuate acidic burps which can feel like heart attacks. Awesome.

Drinkability: I enjoyed the whole 750ml bottle all to myself. I’m afraid for my liver, this stuff is just too damn good to put down or leave alone. This one has been in my beer stash for some time, I could have cracked it 10 years from now, such is its quality. Sheer brilliance and utterly quaffable.

Overall: Accepting the low carbonation as a part of the style, for it is, this is truly a classic offering and such a rare chance to try a 3 year old unblended lambic, so a sampling of this fine brew should always be exercised if the chance presents itself.

The Cantillon website says, and I quote;

“This aristocratic beer is to our national beer patrimony what Mouton-Rotschild, Petrus or Romanée-Conti are to the wines. After maturing for three years in oakwood barrels, it looks more like wine and its fine taste and flavours nearly make one forget that the Grand Cru Bruocsella Cantillon is a beer. This old lambic is bottled without any addition. A matchless, marvelous, eternal beer…”

Hell Yes!! This is a benchmark offering and a very rare chance to get to try and understand a traditional 3 year old lambic. Try it – Love it.

TheLongBeachBum, Jul 09, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +6.4%

on tap at the moan and dove, in proper cantillon glassware

appearance: straw yellow with cloudy carbonation and a wispy but solid thin head. catches and refracts light beautifully.

aroma: hard core horse blanket. armpits, sweat. belgian field. serious notes of fermentation and sour ass. i am conditioned to like this smell though and i respond well.

taste: the ultimate in sour cantillon essence. the truest example of 'that taste' that i've had to date. mouthfeel is tingly and invigorating. aftertaste is a sour lime citrus and underripe cherry. mowed lawns.

remarkably drinkable for such a gnarly style, mostly due to the proper temperature and nice carbonation. bartended wanted to puke when i ordered it, i think he steers people off it.

goodbyeohio, May 30, 2005