Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

2010 Vintage - 750ml green bottle - Brewed December 20th, 2007, bottled October 20th, 2010 - Poured into my Cantillon stemware...

Pours still (acceptable for style) but it still makes me sad. I knew this beer had little to no carbonation, but still I was hoping to see a few bubbles...Slightly hazy pale orange color, looks like a got me some Indian Summer Apple Juice...

A nice lemon tartness is overwhelmed a wonderful, strong dose of barnyard funk. Although the beer is pretty fresh, it smells old and musty, dry and oaky, just how a Cantillon should...

Taste is a bit citric with a mellow sweet finish. Only mildly sour, the taste focuses more on the funk and oak. Mouthfeel negatively effects taste, as much of the flavor suddenly drops out mid-drink, leaving only a slightly musty and oaky aftertaste...

Medium bodied and completely still. Very thin in the finish, taste drops out. Needs gas.

This beer is pretty fresh (for a Cantillon) and as is, it is by far my least favorite Cantillon. I have a few more bottles of varying age and am eager to see if time will improve this beer...

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%

A. Poured a flat deep yellowish color, no head, no bubbles, just still as can be

S. Horseblanket, lemon zest and citrus on top some Earthy notes

T. Initial hit of barnyard and citrus in the way of some lemon zest and orange peel, then more and more barnyard appears leaving a stale mustiness on the palate. There is also an underlying old apple juice like note I can't get past. The finsih is flat, dry, funky.

M. Flat, light bodied, clean

O. Not to bad.

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

Blind Beer #5 from Khazadum, with the text: "Is this one tastay trip or what?!?". Yes my man, it is.

Glassware recommendations suggest a flute or tulip, and as I open the capped and corked bottle, it screams Belgian at me again. My Cantillon flared wine glass is getting a lot of use in this BIF.

A - This pours a straw-colored yellow, perhaps with a little bit more of orange in it. It is pretty hazy and opaque, and only blurry shadows of my fingers can be seen through it. It is essentially still with no head, but there are very minuscule bubbles sticking to the side of the glass. Likewise, no lacing to go along with this besides the tiniest sliver of foam that makes up a little ring around the edge that makes a little curtain. (3.5/5)

S - Sticking with the trend of the other beers I was sent in this BIF, this smells pretty funky as well. I'm getting a little bit of lactic acidity and sourness in the nose, but it's pretty mild compared to the others Khaz has sent me so far. There's a good amount of citrus in here, especially lemon zest. This is pretty mild on the Brett though and therefore it comes across as quite balanced. (4/5)

T - As in the nose, this is more tart than sour so I'm a little confused as to the style of this. It starts with a nice amount of malt and wood or oak, but the tartness comes soon after. There's actually a lot more complexity in the nose of this one, as the taste is pretty straightforward. The citrus in the nose devolves into essentially just some lemon, and I'm getting something that tastes strangely like chlorine? Not really musty or funky as the nose would suggest, just tart. Even the Brett seems subdued? (3/5)

M - Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with almost no carbonation. Not really mouth-puckering but the tartness does linger a bit. Semi-dry and seems to drink like a white wine. Honestly I can't say I'm a huge fan of the still lambics, as it seems they come across as slightly sour wine. (2.5/5)

D/O - Drinkability is moderate. Make no mistake, this is pretty easy to drink and isn't offensive, but the nose promises on more than the taste and mouthfeel can deliver on. It's lacking some of those extra layers of complexities and depth that I expect of the traditional Belgian styles. (3/5)

I'm going to peg this as an unblended lambic. Not getting an overwhelming amount of any one fruit to suggest that, and it's not sour or funky enough for a gueuze...

The reveal: Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru. Oh hey my first Cantillon beer and it fits nicely with the glass choice! I'm actually a little surprised that this is from Cantillon, as I've always heard how sour their beers are, but I honestly wasn't getting a ton of sourness in this. I'm also a little surprised that this was from Cantillon as it seems a little... lackluster or lacking in depth, but I'm really glad I got to try it!!

Thanks Khaz, for another excellent choice!

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

02/06/05- Purchased at Beltramo's in Menlo Park, CA

Presentation- 750ml bottle shared with BA members at my Super Bowl Party last night. No expiration date listed.

Appearance- Not sure what a true lambic is supposed to look like. Kinda an orange-peach colored pour with absolutely zero head and about the same in lacing. I gave it a 4 in appearance, but I could re-rate it after trying other true lambics.

Smell- Guess I finally figured out the barnyard funk smell. My fiancee is from Montana and grew up on a cattle ranch, and she confirmed that it kinda smelled like a barn, a dirty barn! To me it smelled like a skunky-honey and baby poo diaper. Yet I liked it! I don't know why, but I did. I think there is a bunch of lemon and heavy citrus scents also.

Taste- Well, I was expecting this to be the most sour experience of my life. I had one of the Cantillon lambics at the Toronado about 6 months ago and spent $10 on a 12 oz pour. That was some sour ass shit! I literally had to chase each sip with a gulp of water to keep from gagging. Well, I was expecting the same here. Turns out all Cantillon's are not super sour. This one was sour, but not anything compared to the last one. Maybe I had the Iris or the Vigneronne. It was very watery and dull. Had a weird taste of latex or some weird tupperware taste. A bit stale. Not fruity at all. Very disappointed in this one. At least the other one had some fruity zing to it.

Mouthfeel- Ultra low carbonation and a watery mouthfeel. I know the carbonation was right, but the watery part?

Drinkability- I'll pass on this one. It was the cheapest of the Cantillon line when I bought it 6 months ago at about $12. Hopefully my next try will be better. Not even giving up on them yet.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked this one up when I was down in Florida last week, along with a bunch of other nice Cantillon beers. Served chilled and poured into an oversized wine glass, this one was consumed on 02/19/2009.

The pour was decent enough with a clear, dark grape juice looking liquid with only the slightest bit of carbonation sticking to the inside of the glass. The aroma is sour, tart notes, hints of a woody or oak like touch with a vanilla touch to it. Small notes of cherry or some light fruit notes. As I take a taste the feel really throuws me off. It is almost like oily water, no carbontion and slick feeling, really distracting. The bite of tart apples is lightly offset with a touch of vanilla and oak in the finish, nothing too bad at all, but nothing blowing me away. Just a touch one to put down, the tartness was not strong enough and the subtle hints of oak, too light to make a difference. My least favorite Cantillon beer to date.

3.2/5  rDev -17.9%

Reviewed on 6/11/08. On cask at Spuyten Duyvil Brett Fest, organic version. Pours a light orange with no head. Aroma is fruity, but I can't tell which fruit. Flavor of sour funk, oak/wood, cheese. No carbonation. This beer had too much funk/sweat and I was not a fan. Seems that it's better in bottle.
6/3/6/4/13 (3.2/5)

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

750ml bottled poured inappropriately into my new 3 glass. Bottled on October 20, 2010, brewed October 30, 2007...Pours a really dark dark gold with only light carbonation. No real head rises, a few watery bubbles after you're done pouring. No lacing...The aroma is really light, only gives off some musky horse blanket, a little boring...Taste is also pretty light, shows off lots of oak, spider webs, chalk, musky. Not very sour, a little but more bitter than sour if that makes sense.

Maybe I'm just not a fan of unblended beers, or this wasn't a great batch. Either way, this is the probably the least good Cantillon I've had and can't imagine having this again.

3.17/5  rDev -18.7%

One of the few remaining bottles we jammed into our luggage & lugged back from dirty, beautiful Brussels. Capped & corked 750ML bottle spit with my wife (who suitcased half of them).

Pour is clouded orange even leaving the loogie in the bottom, with close to or actuallly zippo in the way of carbonation. Lots of lemon & orange & apple hit the nose, with a strong foundation of tartness (not funk). Interest is piqued.

Bruocsella 1900 Grand Cru is razor sharp. Lemon juice you could slash a finger on is paired up oddly with a deep fall mustiness; not really digging the combo. Acidic but not overpoweringly so, & the sour is held in check. Strongly drying oak. Half a bomber of this was too much - could have been split several ways.

Just not digging the stale, just-before-the-snow-flies must that has wound its way into the DNA of this beer. Decent enough, but easily my least favorite of the pantheon we experienced during & after the trip.

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

Bottle at Local Option

A - Dark golden with brown hues and a frothy white head. Looks flat. There is a small frothy white head that settled down

S - Dark fruit and figs. Reminds me of an English Christmas pudding as there is a slight booziness to it as well. There is a slight tartness that comes up in the back of the nose as well

T - Musty with light nutmeg, dates, and oak. Slight tart presence to it as well. However, the musty aspect really takes over for me.

M - Tastes watery and flat. From what I can tell this is intentional but that doesn't mean I think it's good.

O - Not a huge fan of this one. It reminds me of a flat gueuze with a mustier and dark fruit aspect to it. Worth trying but I'll pass going forward

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

3.12/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle into a tulip glass

2009 vintage on cork

Bottled August 28th 2009

A- Pours a nice golden yellow orange with no head at all just some big bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. No lacing, and small alcohol legs on the side. Hopefully it's carbonated.

S- Tons of funk and strong barnyard that immediately makes your mouth salivate in preparation for the sourness. Has a really strong almost off putting grassy earthy nose to it with hints of green apple. Musty old oak and dust.

T- Flat up front. But flavor wise funk up front with fruit flavors of apple and vinous grapes. Behind that is a strong earthy punch of faded grassy hops and mushroom like dirt. Definitely some musty oak in there as well. The more I drink it and it warms the more it tastes like bile. Not good.

M- Medium to lighter body with no carbonation and a decently sour finish.

Overall this beer would be a lot better with carbonation. Hard to drink.

3.12/5  rDev -20%

Poured from 75cl to a Wine Glass

Appearence: Poured an Amazing hy golden color. No head. But has little bubbles on top like fresh poured wine. Obviously Flat

Aroma: Acidic Sour, Rancid, cheese, mold, Almost smells like toenail fungus to be honest.

Taste: Fresh sliced lemon Juice, watered down and funky, exactly the taste I get, Not malty at all, Not what I was expecting at all. Pretty bland but that is expected. This beer would probably do Great in the cellar for a looong time.

Mouthfeel: Watery, Not dry, or slick, or cloying. Very watery

Overall: Great beer but definantly could not drink it every day like the brewers do. Overall I am Amazed with the beer. However VERY happy I did not pay money for this

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Fairly tannic nose, oaky dry, a little pure apple juice with a dash of dry white wine. Foam nonexistent. Entry in the mouth easy enough but the tannins take advantage very quickly (oak) with this small taste of white wine or cider. Unfortunately a bit too flat. Sour and acid, but without being in abundance, like Cantillon products. However, the beer is too far from a final product to be really interesting.

3.04/5  rDev -22.1%

Bottle date of September 5, 2007.

Pots into a Duvel Tulip a gold color with absolutely zero head.

Sour and funky nose. Decaying apple, pear and white wine with cider vinegar.

Tart with no sweetness. Apple cider vinegar with some wood notes. Pretty average at best.

One word to describe the feel: flat.

Quite lackluster in all aspects and certainly not worth the pricetag.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

I had held this Cantillon in proper storage for some months now, and yesterday's arrival of a long time friend called for a bit of beer.

The 75cl bottle, unlike other Cantillons did not make a small gas related pop once the cork was drawn. It was the first bad sign.

The pour was almost completely flat, but I reckon other bright lambics aren't all that carbonated. this is much more like a wine than a beer, I said to myself. Appearance-wise, all the rest seemed perfectly normal: nice inside-of-an-apple sort of yellowish tones, a thin layer of bubbles atop.

I guess that was the only bad incident, but the rest of the beer I did not enjoy because it seems to me that it's too much like their other beers. the sour smell was a clear upfront indicator, I could've been drinking any other Cantillon Lambic here. Side-by-sidedness would not help. Plus, it wasn't too carbonated either. and the saltyness I'd felt before was still there.

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%

A: Hazy, cider-like colour, no carbonation or head.

S: Very tart: apple and lemon.

T: Apple cider vinegar, lemon rind, earthy-metallic minerals.

M: Very acidic, no carbonation, light to moderate body.

D: This one's a little rough for my palette.

3.01/5  rDev -22.8%

Enjoyed at Zwanze Day 2012 at Churchkey

A: Bruocsella is a viscous red-orange with a small white head. The retention is good, but the head is hardly big enough to lace after very long. 4

S: The very first aroma I get out the glass is...orange, sudsy dishsoap. It is also funky, but not particularly tart. The only fruit I get smells like dishsoap sadly. 3

T: The orange comes back on the taste. This time the beer is tart, but only underneath. Overall it leaves a weird aftertaste that I'm not terribly fond of. 3

MF: Medium body with a lower carbonation than the others we've had today. I didn't find the beer to be all that drinkable. 2.5

O: Not much else to say, I just wasn't feeling this one. 3

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

2006 Vintage

Not much of a pop form the cork. Pours a bit flat. Oaky reddisih brown pour. The nose is cheesy with a hint of lemon . The flavor is a bit oak dominated and doesn't quite come together

Probably my least favorite Cantillon, but I wonder if it's just me because Jean Van Roy seems so happy when I purchased it.

2.94/5  rDev -24.6%

A= The pour is a nice hazy yellow color with a slight amber tinge to it in the deepest part of the glass. The head is pretty much non existant which is a little dissapointing. There is a thin ring around the glass with big bubbles.

S= The smell is sour lemon and maybe some feet? There is a decent amount of oak in it as well but no vanilla coming from the wood. Exactly what I would expect from an unblended lambic. There is also a good amount of earthy odor coming from it.

T= The taste is very very light. Much like a white wine. There is a slight sour lemon taste to it. The earthy taste is still there a little bit but not much. The feet smell doesn't come through in the taste at all. There is a conciderable amount of tannins as well.

M= Super dry. Astringent. No carbonation.

D= Hmmm. This Cantillon actually dissapoints a little bit. A lovely brew but not an unblended lambic in my humble opinion. This resembles a white wine. It isn't carbonated at all and the tannins and astringentcy really take over. Interesting but not for me right now. I'll prolly throw one in the cellar for fun though.

2.93/5  rDev -24.9%

This beer is quite interesting. When poured, it does not give any sort of head, there is absolutely no visible carbonation, belive me, I looked. The color is, however, a quite clear and atractive shade of gold. The smell, well, its like a punch in the nose, you can smell it from across the room, sour sour sour. A bit of Funk. The taste is rather underwhelming, quite one diminsional. Its just sour with a touch of oak tannins on the side of my tounge. Its even more sour than the smell gave away. The mouthfeel was like wine, completely flat. I would not want to drink a whole 12oz pour of this beer, in fact, I was a bit tired of it after about 6 oz.

2.92/5  rDev -25.1%

Cantillion Bruocsella pours still, no head and a rich golden color. Aroma of musty basement, feet and sourness. Taste is quite bitter, some light oak/wood notes and a small sour. The flavors are alittle toned down and its hard to get too excited about this syrup that vaguely resembles beer. Mouthfeel is thin and flat. Drinkability rates fairly low, I was not impressed with this.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Somewhat disappointed in this, actually.

Pours a murky clear golden yellow with a bit of amber in it. No head. Almost zero carbonation in this beer. I'm searching for even a hint of bubbles. Looking through the reviews, this was clearly intended by the brewer, and not the fault of a bad bottle. I found it offputting in appearance and mouthfeel. Just a bit of carbonation can really zest up a strongly flavored beer, and the lack of it really lessens the experience. We're not talking about minimal bubbling here: there was none. Period. I want a sour beer, not sour juice.

Smells like funk, vinegar, and unripe fruits. Taste was pretty good, though not as robust as other Cantillons/sours I've had. More sour than funky, with a real harsh vinegar/lemon acidic bite that I liked. I have to again come back to the mouthfeel -- it's a real problem with this beer.

Would not revisit, though it was nice to try something new.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Purchased from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA.

A - The beer pours a light orange. No head whatsoever. A little bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

S - The beer is very tart, smelling of citric fruits. Mildly acidic smell.

T - Like the smell, tart, with lots of phenols. It tastes a bit medicinal. Mild cider-like flavors.

M - Watery. The style is supposed to be thin bodied, as is this brew, but the consistency is basically that of water. I wouldn't say it is unpleasant but it certainly doesn't feel like beer.

D - Not a very drinkable beer. You may want to try it to experience an unblendrf lambic but it's not something I would make a habit up, especially given the price tag. Interesting, yes; pleasant, not so much.

2.65/5  rDev -32.1%

I am not going over the details here. Brewed 12.2007, and poured into a Stone tulip.

Right away, no gas. Flat. Light murky hone, no head, no lace. Tart smell, funky, my wife says it smells like barf. Taste is thin an lackluster. Horrible. Mouthfeel the same. THIS BEER SUCKS. i can only hope that this was a bad, but very expensive, bottle.

2.63/5  rDev -32.6%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru

A = Poured a light copper with no foam.

S = Light apple smell with a hint of apple.

T = Sour. Really sour. Initial lemon tartness followed by a slightly dry finish.

M = Coats tongue with a dryness. Little to no carbonation. Very thin bodied.

D = Not my cup of tea. Never again.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon