Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.44/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have been waiting to try this beer for awhile. FYI in MA you can get it at Colonial Spirits in Acton. Pours out yellowish-gold and completely flat. Looks like apple juice. The smell is wow, tart! Bad apples and fruit squeezed for just the just. The taste is like a flat gueuze but more complex. Seems sweet in the start, fruity in the middle and tart in the end. The aftertaste is very dry.

What a complex yet well balanced beer. I really like it but I think I like the gueuze better. Cheers to Cantillon for keeping the tradition alive and well! FYI...Vintage 2003. I guess I couldn't wait any longer.

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

2010 Sticker, bottled 11-2013

I liked this one more than I anticipated - perhaps even more than the Lou Pepe Gueuze opened the night before. Just slightly effervescent, the mostly flat, oily mouthfeel is more akin to wine than what I am used to in a beer. The nose is beautiful in a funky way - barnyard, hay and earth. The funk carries to the flavor but there is also a bright lemon/citrus quality and an overall lightness that is greatly balanced. The acidity is moderate and allows the delicate qualities of the lambic to shine through. At first, the flatness was off putting, but the more I drank this beer, the more I wished it wouldn't end. This beer is outstanding, and in my opinion, underrated.

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

750ml; 2005-dated cork comes out with NO pop. Pours with small amount of carbonation...remembering that this is an unblended lambic (I hope) I try to quit worrying.

This is a gold-colored beer, not as dark as the st. lamvinus but much darker than normal blended lambic products from this blender.

Taste - it's nearly flat. decently musty taste, somewhat sharp acidity at the sides of the mouth when drinking this. nice but i am underwhelmed, maybe spoiled by other recent cantillon lambics?

this beer is very pleasant but like the st lamvinus I am looking for the back end of the taste and aftertaste, but that is normally an attribute of unblended lambic.

Follow-up comment (3/27/6) - I had very mild heartburn/acid indigestion when I drank this beer on the review date. A few days later I had major heartburn when trying the 2003-cork fou fonne, where I actually noted it in the review. Yesterday I had another 2005-cork grand cru and noted the same mild heartburn sensation. I have had nearly all of cantillon's products over a number of years and these two are the only times I have felt this, and I still drink other products from them regularly. Not sure if this is a products of a particularly strong lambic year (2002 maybe?), or some other specific attribute. I had older versions of grand cru in the past with nary a symptom.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%

I enjoyed a bottle at Avenue Pub in New Orleans. A true unblended lambic that has been aged for three years in the wood cask. I am really looking forward to trying this.

A: Pours a hazy golden/orange color. A very minimal bubbly white head forms with no lace. I do really like the color.
S: An awesome nose. Up front is a surprising sweetness, especially if you are familiar with the brewery. Vanilla and wood in the nose. Then comes an acidic twang. Tart lemons and apple skins. I love it.
T: Again, I love it. Vanilla sweetness and oak/wood flavors. The middle is dominated by the wood. Lingering is lemony, grassy, apple skin flavors. Acidic, but not overly so. Really clean considering the typical funk. I can't get enough of this.
M/D: A medium body that is low on the carbonation. Though the clean dry bite works perfectly. So enjoyable to drink. Truly unique, and something I can drink all day.

I know it is pretty much a cliché to like rare Cantillon bottles. Though screw that. This is something that I truly love. The unblended lambic is a great treat that I would highly recommend. Just an experience that I really enjoyed.

4.49/5  rDev +15.1%

2007 vintage bottle poured into a belgian glass. pours a rich light amber/orange with a loos rim of head that leaves no retention or lacing.

aroma is of distinct funk with a light vinous sour note in the background. a subtle fruit note in the background from the yeast keeps it honest, while the funk gets a bit more pronounced as it warms. very crisp and well put together in the nose.

taste is more of the same with a subtle vinous sour note and mellow undertones of funk. a light yeasty note forms a bsae for the funk and sour. overall pretty mellow when compared to other cantillons, with a wonderfully funky profile.

mouthfeel is medium bodied with a light tartness and a subtle soft sour note in the background that gives way to lingering tartness after the fact.

drinkability is great. supremely drinkable and just mellow enough to bring the funk without getting overdone or bland. excellent offering from Cantillon. cheers!

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

One of the best unscrewed-with beers out there. I really appreciate what Cantillon accomplished with this brew. A very tart, sour smelling and tasting brew woven into a lightly hazed, canary yellow colored, thinly laced liquid. No head retention and no carbonation to speak of. It's perfect. Unblended and unadulterated goodness. Has a light citrus (lemon and limes) flavor with granny-smith apple and a light berry flavor. Mildly vineous and woodsy. Lightly musky and powdery. Intense sourness quickly gives way to an ultra clean, crisp feel. Lightly astringent and a tad grainy (to be expected). Flavors are fleeting and the body finishes abruptly. The perfet summertime thirst quincher. Ideal to style.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Out of a capped and corked 750ml split with a friend. It pours out very mildly carbonated with no real head to speak of, a few bubbles cling to the insides of the glass at most. The body is thick with haze and is an orangish shade of amber. The nose is alive with damp hay, musty oak and sour funky aromas. Sipping this brew is almost a shock at first and even when you're used to it will still come back and slap your tongue around a little bit. Initially a bit astringent, mid-palate the funky flavors of damp earth and hay appear alongside musty oak and then intertwine and are eventually eclipsed by face-caving tartness that lasts through the finish where it is met a with the flavors of grapeskin. I can't even really describe everything that goes on in this beer but it is a wonderfully complex experience.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer pours completely still. Pale yellow/orange. No head. Aroma is very nice funk, mild cider apple aroma, and a bit of citrus rind. Pretty sour a bit bitter with funk and apple cider. Pretty damn sour. Mouthfeel is what unexpected from a still unblended lambic. Could have been a bit lighter, but very nice anyway. Overall this beer is a very well made, refreshing, sour, assertive, awesome beer.

2006 Bottle, 35% Wheat / 65% Barley

A. Yellow to copper, clear and clean, completely still with no carbonation.

S. Wicked Sour Apples, Very tannic and nose opening, almost like chemical VOC's

T. Reminds me of apple juice made from granny smith's with slight barn flavor and more of a cider dryness and body from the barley and wheat.

M. Crisp, Clean, very nice and dry

O. This is absolutely great, Really loved it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Grand Cru Bruocsella '14 vintage

Pours an urine yellow color with no head at all, leaving the spotlight on the actual beautiful saturated, sun-yellow color. Developes a small film of lacing at the edge of the glass.

Has aromas of glue, old oak, leather and matured hops, bound together by ripe lemon. The beers tartness gets gently balanced by the dusty oak, together with funky tartness. The nose is actually quite simple, not one-dimensional, but straight-up convincing.

Has a soft, very refreshing mouthfeel to it, based on the beers low carbonation. Opens up the palate to the brews pleasant tartness, with no distraction at all. Needs a moment of adjustment, then becomes a revelation.

Tastes of old hops among tart lemon, old wood and an incredibly well pronounced funkiness. Its tartness gets showcased perfectly, due to he very low carbonation. Reveals an almost fruity tartness during the finish, featuring crisp lemon and green apple peel, still balanced by the wood.

Its funkiness gets perfectly pronounced by the beers very low carbonation, while the oak lends enough character to prevent it from being boring. When I have had this the last time, it was younger and even lower carbonated, while this is by comparison almost sparkling, very refreshing. Its wooden dust qualities add perfectly well up to the rich tartness, revealing an incredibly funky beer.

4.52/5  rDev +15.9%

My first non-fruit straight lambic beer...and quite a beer it was! Unfortunately, the bartender filled the glasses all the way up and skimmed off the head, but from what I can tell the beer still looked appealing. Most lambics don't get much of a head without a hard pour anyways...
The beer is pretty straightforward with the flavor: imagine a fruit lambic without any sweetness from the fruit and you have this beer. Not as a gentle as some gueuzes, this is just straight up sourness. Loved it and it would make an excellent session beer for lambic lovers.

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

The last of the bottles I brough back from Belgium last Spring. Label says "Grand Cru Bruoscella, Lambic Bio 2007" Nothing about this 1900 business. Bottled 9 March 2010.

A - Pours almost identical to apple juice down to the 'head' it leaves. Just sort of bubbly on top. Body is pale, golden with very slow moving carbonation, some of which is sticking to the glass. Interesting look. Bright.

S - Soury. Grapes. Vinegar. Apples. Inviting and interesting, tempting me with what seems will be a refreshing an interesting experience. Having visited Cantillon, I can say this definately smells like the brewery. That smell will never leave my memory.

T - Woah. Like a sour bursting flavour that engulfs every tastebud. Sour grapes. More tart than sour for sure. Slightly bitter but mostly sour finish that I can almost feel in my nose.

M - Regardless of the apparent lack of carbonation, this is just explosive in the mouth. Very dry finish. It wraps itself around every tastebud and explores every corner of my mouth and dares me to go back for more. Quite an experience.

D - There would be no reason to want to drink something so unique. Maybe it's the fact that this is the first Lambic I've reviewed but I can't help but feel like I need to visit Belgium again. I could drink variations of this style or simply this beer throughout a night without a problem.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%

2001 vintage

Pours out a strawish color with little to no head. Tastes big and sour just as one would expect a true lambic. Cantillon keeps putting out some of the best lambic in the world and this Grand Cru Broucsella is no exception. But you either like the beast or you don't. If you do like the sourpuss lambic, you won't lose with this one.

4.55/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a pale yellowish color with no head and no visible carbonation.

the smell is funk, wet hay, hints of lemony tartness, green apple, exactly what I am looking for.

the taste is funkty and clean with a nice tartness.

the mouthfeel is completely flat and light.

overall this beer is great, im glad i have a few bottles tucked away.

4.56/5  rDev +16.9%

Thanks to a friend for opening a 2005 bottle of Cantillon Bruocsella the other night. It sorta went like this...

(cue flashback)

Open the bottle - you're suddenly a young child sitting in your grandmother's lap. But you fall and now your face is between her legs. You just smelled Bruocsella.

You look up. You're not staring at your grandmother. It's Elizabeth Taylor. She's some blend of the dead-in-the-casket Elizabeth Taylor, the old-constantly-remarrying Elizabeth Taylor, and the Cleopatra Elizabeth Taylor. Drink her in. You just drank Bruocsella.

It looks like hazy lemon juice, it's slightly carbonated, it doesn't look that special. But it smells like flowers, oak, white grapes, tart berries, sweaty stale sex, and Grandma. And Bruocsella tastes sweet, drying, cloying, and deeply, richly sour. It's like lemon juice poured on a sweaty towel then wrung into your palate with just the right amount of funk.

Negatives? Not many. Maybe it could be rounder. Maybe it could have a cleaner finish.

But oh my, it's beautiful. And intense. And transformative.

*pro-tip: Blend with New Glarus Raspberry Tart for extra fun!

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Pours a light copper color with very nice clarity. Light chunk fell into the glass before I could stop it. A very nice looking brew. No bubbles are present, suggesting a still beer. The nose is divine. Acrid sour and tart, but not offensive at all. Lemony and funky acidic. I dig it a lot. Flavor is very well balanced and unoffensive. I get a lemon start to the beer before swallowing. After swallowing, the light sourness and acidic nature hits, but nowhere near as strong as others I've had. The sourness does not linger at all,moving to a slightly sweet finish. The feel is moderate with no carbonation. Slightly sticky spit hangs on my tongue, but not too much. Incredibly drinkable beer. I really enjoy it. Its a toned down gueuze that makes the drinking very easy.

4.59/5  rDev +17.7%

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2007 Vintage
Bottled 27 Jan 2011
BB: Dec 2020

I am finally back to drinking beers from series of sours, this is the 5th beer in the series. This will also be my first unblended lambic - can't wait to dig in!

Appearance: Bright orange-golden body, very lightly clouded and completely flat.
Generally I like a beer to have a good sized head, but since unblended lambics are intended to be flat I cannot knock off any points for its absence.

Smell: Wow, there is a ton of dry white wine aromas right off the bat, I wasn't quite expecting that.
Other notes include: Apple cider vinegar, very musty basement, old wood, wet hay, lemon juice, a hint of sweetness (overripe white grapes), ripe farm house cheese, a touch of sweat, lots of oak and unexpectedly a hint of horse.
This is a stunning nose with amazing complexities. It is interesting to see that notes that the 3 year old lambic contributes to Cantillon's regular gueuze.

Taste: The flavour does not quite live up to the nose in terms of complexities and power, but is non the less pretty darn good. Again there is a resemblance to a very acidic white wine. Lots of oak character, quite tannic, lemon juice, cider vinegar, very musty, old hay and earthy mushrooms. The tartness is fairly mellow, but very pleasant.

Mouthfeel: Grand Cru Bruocsella has a distinct wine like feel - medium body, no carbonation and a stunning dry finish

Overall: I really enjoyed this beer - the fact that it was flat did not bother me at all. I will certainly have this again in the future!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a unique, infinitely drinkable beer. It also has one of my favorite labels. This sample was bottled in 2005.

Upon popping the tight fitting cork, there was no perceptable noise or gun smoke, I could tell this stuff would be still. Lambic aromas instantly hit me. The color is a slightly hazy straw gold color, like light apple juice. There are no carbonation streams and no head at all, except for a few bubbles on a hard pours. I did notice a few bubbles clinging to the bottom of my Frank Boon flute.

The aroma is Cidery, fruity, citric with plenty of hay, horse manure and straight sourness. The nose is strong. The taste reminds me of other Cantillons, just slightly softer and less funky. Tonnes of complex lemony, sharp sour flavors in the beginning. Sourness and barnyardy flavors build in the middle. Theres also green apple skins, oaky flavors, hay, dry white wine and even sour cherry flavors. The finish is puckeringly sour and also earthy and funky. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery, no carbonation at all is perceptable. Bone dry throughout.

I love Cantillon. They make such incredibly complex beers. I havent tried that many, I really want to try more. I wish they were easier to come by in Ontario.

This was a unique experience, this is my first beer with almost no carbonation. I liked it. I prefer Cantillon Gueuze or Vignerrone, but this is a very worthy, complex and funky lambic.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours golden brown with no hint of a head or carbonation. Nose has sour funk, oak, tropical fruits and tart wine grapes. Taste is quite tart up front w/ a funky oak presence as well as a ripe citrus fruits. Medium body with no carbonation and a dry finish. Well balanced, very authentic ale. Should pair well with fine cheese, berries and smoked fish.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml capped and corked bottle...2001 vintage: This is a dark golden colour with a huge head of fluffy white bubbles. The aromas are of a-typical gueuze-like tartness, and funky stuff, but this brew is much more subdued than the afforementioned gueuze. The taste is quite tart and funky with some lovely sweet and sour notes, and the undeniably amazing complexity of all of this breweries beers. The mouthfeel is sharp, astringent, and not as carbonated as their gueuze and the drinkability is amazing! World class stuff!!!

4.61/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: What should a still lambic look like? Not sure as this is my first experience but the beer pours out with a hazy goldenstraw color looking more like a glass of wine than a beer

Smell: Funky and somewhat tart

Taste: Funky from the outset, with the sour, green apple flavor building; farmhouse tones explode on the tongue, with a dry, oaky finish

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied but still

Overall: Quite a treat for those who like unblended lambics; this gets back to the origins of the style, I would think

4.62/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a clear golden yellow, no head. Smell is of oak, musty barnyards, sour vinegar, and an almost "clean" scent that I can't quite place. The taste is fantastic. Massive depth. The oakiness smooths the entire range of flavors and unites them into one unified tongue demolishing front. Lactic and acetic notes predominate and the finish smoothes over with a rich tannin quality like a dry white wine. The mouthfeel is interesting, but I think I'm just not used to beers with purposefully no carbonation. It is a cascading array of flavors and tastes. Truly an exceptional beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours a cloudy bright orange color. There is no head. The aroma is of barnyard, orange peel, green apples, minerals, oak, and happiness. The taste is of green apples, followed by barnyard bretta, with a dry puckering sour finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with low carbonation and a silky texture. Overall, this is a wonderful lambic. I will certainly drink this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My first straight lambic.

Cantillon Broucsella 1900 was served from a 750 ml corked and capped bottle, with a festive scene depicted on the label that perhaps hints at the what is contained within. The cork indicated a bottling date of 2002. In a white wine glass, the lambic was a lovely deep and brilliant golden honey color, and was decorated with a thin ring of fine white foam that left fine lacing that coalesced into numerous small spots. Scarce small bubbles were observed eminating from the bottom of the glass suggesting a low level of carbonation. The nose was a labyrinth of sweeping oaky and earthy dimensional tartness, with notes of lime tinged sweetness. Wonderfully entrancing and charismatic, this was worth the price of admission alone. The flavor experience started off smooth and docile, but quickly sprang open with mature woody must-coated grapefruity sourness that increased in intensity as it tingled the palate from front to back, with a touch of sweetness peeking through the acidity from time to time This wonderful sensation hangs for several seconds before transitioning into a dry tannin-soaked vinous finish. The body of the lambic was silky smooth and full, in contrast to many of the geuezes I have sampled. Indeed there was a very low level of carbonation, which I felt was just right in this case, though I do enjoy the high carbonation level found in geueze also. I found the lambic to be highly drinkable, as the flavor profile was very mature and non-prickly. This was an excellent first experience with straight lambic. Thanks to Jean-Pierre Van Roy for releasing this fantastic product.

After describing the unadulterated lambic, I enjoyed the rest of it with stinky mushroomy/earthy French cheese smeared on slices of French baguette....excellent!

2003 vintage.

Appearance: Pale straw, cloudy. No head retention at all (not unusual for lambics, I know, but it still looks limpid).

Aroma: Iron, oaky, almost vinegary smell.

Intensely sour, with some citric flavors that give it a taste almost like concentrated lemon juice. Vanilla, oaky, leathery, earthy. Very very dry.

Thin, watery mouthfeel. Very light bodied.

A wonderful treat. Very complex and satisfying.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon