Join our email list →

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Lambic - Unblended | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros
4.3/5  rDev +10.3%

2007 vintage bottle. Pours out with no pop when de-corking and no head at all. A vigorous pours sees some bubbles floating around. A cloudy deep yellow color. The aroma is a sour perfume-like and woody note. The initial taste is sour, but not anywhere near some of the others I've had, such as the Iris. Instead, a strong funky sourness is alongside a smooth and full sawdust flavor. As it warms a ton of flavor is released, mostly more wood infused sourness, some slight funky and citrus. Quite good. Something original and pure. Though it has no head, the body is somehow smooth and nice. It also goes down quite well.

4.72/5  rDev +21%

I found this beer very special. I had the entire 750ml bottle to myself so I had all the time to take in it’s subtle aroma’s. I had already heard a lot about this one on the BA site, but it was time to taste it myself. In the menu at Den Stillen Genieter it was the only real Lambic on sale. (Already something special.) It was described as a beerwine? Strange. When I opened the bottle a very nice sour smell came towards me. Nice! The first taste explained why it was described as Beerwine: It tasted like wine, but with a strong hop taste. It had a very strong sour grape taste and aftertaste. Every sip makes you doubt between bad wine or sour beer. This is one of those beers that are so un-commercial nowadays. They are considered to be for the beer aficionado’s. Shame because Lambic is one of the oldest Flemish beers. I am very fond of it’s unique sour dry taste, just like I love Faro. Now I know why all of you on the BA website where so fond of this one. The flavour is so simple to describe and yet it is so rich! The colour though is a quite dark yellow. Not very wine like. And it isn't really very carbonised. All this makes that it pours in very smouthly.

Ut vivat, crescat, floreat!

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

A – A very clear deep yellow, no lacing at all on this beer.

S – I got some old cheese and lots of funk in the nose of this beer.

T – A very deep roasted bread quality.

M – Medium bodied and 100% flat, very dry. No carbonation at all.

O – I was not impressed by this beer. I wish it had some carbonation, that might have changed my opinon of this beer.

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%

2003 vintage.
750ml capped and corked.

Absolutely and totally without head or carbonation. Peach colored with the slightest haze, lending a further fuzzy peach appearance to this beer.

Smells of sharp rotted citrus fruit and tool shed. Musty and earthy.

Initially sharply acidic. Held on the back of the tongue, it's just like lemon juice that you buy in a bottle. Slightly sweet when held on the front of the tongue, with earthy mushroom forming somewhere deeply hidden. Jaw-clenching sourness when rolled to the sides, with explosive crab apple and drawing tannins. Very, very dry in the finish, with acidic lingerings long, long after the swallow.

4.37/5  rDev +12.1%

Being an obsessive Cantillon fan, I couldn't pass this brew up when I first came across it. It comes in a capped and corked 750ml bottle, with a note from the brewer on the back stating that this is the only unblended lambic available. Pours a slightly cloudy golden color with no head - this beer is as close to uncarbonated as possible. The nose is full of oakey, earthy notes, with just a hint of the sourness to come. Taste is as sour as can be, with some barnyard notes and a firm oak backing. The body is light, and the acidity makes the beer jump off the palette and leaves you ready for more. An amazing, unique brew, although I must admit the traditional blended geueze is a little more my style.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

Out of a capped and corked 750ml split with a friend. It pours out very mildly carbonated with no real head to speak of, a few bubbles cling to the insides of the glass at most. The body is thick with haze and is an orangish shade of amber. The nose is alive with damp hay, musty oak and sour funky aromas. Sipping this brew is almost a shock at first and even when you're used to it will still come back and slap your tongue around a little bit. Initially a bit astringent, mid-palate the funky flavors of damp earth and hay appear alongside musty oak and then intertwine and are eventually eclipsed by face-caving tartness that lasts through the finish where it is met a with the flavors of grapeskin. I can't even really describe everything that goes on in this beer but it is a wonderfully complex experience.

3.39/5  rDev -13.1%

Had this beer yesterday at Hill Farmstead. This is by far my least favorite offering Cantillon. The characteristic funk was there, but it was absolutely overpowered by the bitterness of the aged hops. The almost complete lack of carbonation didn't help matters. The back end on the palate was so astringent and bitter that it just completely ruined the beer for me.

4.62/5  rDev +18.5%

Poured a clear golden yellow, no head. Smell is of oak, musty barnyards, sour vinegar, and an almost "clean" scent that I can't quite place. The taste is fantastic. Massive depth. The oakiness smooths the entire range of flavors and unites them into one unified tongue demolishing front. Lactic and acetic notes predominate and the finish smoothes over with a rich tannin quality like a dry white wine. The mouthfeel is interesting, but I think I'm just not used to beers with purposefully no carbonation. It is a cascading array of flavors and tastes. Truly an exceptional beer.

4.15/5  rDev +6.4%

As an unblended lambic, I treat this as a window into the process of the amazing Cantillon brewery, as this is typically used to make the gueuze and fruit lambics. A nice treat!

Pours still, amber, and cloudy. Aromas of tart strawberry, with tropical notes such as pineapple, and notes of light cheese and butter. I believe that the lack of carbonation does not allow the aromas to be fully expressed. Flavor is vinous, with apples and a tropical fruit explosion before the tart finish (though not as tart as the gueuzes of Cantillon or Girardin). The lack of carbonation detracts from the experience, as the bubbles often give the tartness a nice pop. Still, a complex and wonderful beer that stands up to the other Cantillon offerings.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

Very different than most other Cantillon offerings. This was a vintage 2012 bottle, extremely funky on the nose, no carbonation and low sour / acidity profile.

Not my thing.....least favorite Cantillon by far.

3.55/5  rDev -9%

On Cask @ Monk's, 2/13/09, poured 13oz, it appears a golden wheat, cloudy, almost visibly saturated with bacteria. Did I mention this has absolutely no head on it. Resembles a cup of urine, sampled from a dehydrated & infected patient. I use this analogy in the best light possible.

Smell -- Grenadine & Vinegar

Tastes like sucking on a piece of birch. No wait, watered down Koolaid. Or more like the liquid whey at the top of a plain, sour Eastern European style yoghurt. wait wait wait.. more like a glass of lemon water that has been sitting for 12hrs full of toothpicks and one pickled cherry. Yes, tart... I s'pose dominated by a hint of woody cherry in the finish. the mouthfeel, with the absence of carbonation, is extremely light, almost indistinguishable from a particulated water.

D-- dit is extreem

3.92/5  rDev +0.5%

My brother came back from Belgium with a bunch of beer for me. This is one of those bottles. Poured into a Cantillon glass.

Pour is a hazy light golden color, bordering yellow. The beer almost glows. Pretty. No head to speak of, though this is expected.

Smell is quite nice. Funk, old attic mustiness, a zip of lemon and apricot. Has the Cantillon signature aroma.

Taste is good. I like this quite a bit, but not nearly as much as some of the other, fruit, lambics. Sharply tart, uncompromisingly so. Not quite as sour as other brews I have had, but this isn't for a beginner either. White wine character, a bit of lemon, and a slight earthiness.

Mouthfeel is just okay. I know it's supposed to be uncarbonated, but damn, I don't know that I like it that much. On the thin side, kinda lifeless.

Drinkability is pretty good, however. It's not so sour to destroy your palate. My share of the bottle is gone pretty quickly.

A good beer, but more challenging than enjoyable really. I greatly prefer other Cantillons that I have had. However, the worst of a great lot is still quite good. Worth a try if you're into lambics.

3.88/5  rDev -0.5%

A-No bubbles or carbonation. Completely still. Slightly hazy gold. Fine for an unblended lambic.

S-Slight oak with stomach acid funk.

T-Slightly sour with a good bit of funk. Some wheat but mostly acid (not vinegar). No hops.

M-Dry. No carbonation. Bubbles would make each sip easier but this is an unblended lambic.

D-Good beer, though a little strange. Is this my favorite lambic or even my favorite cantillon? No. Is it good and at least worth a try? Yes

A friend brought this back while on a business trip. We drank it on New Years Eve while counting down to midnight. Another friend had been raving about Cantillon for months and I was glad to finally get to taste one of their beers. We poured it into flute glasses and it basically had no head and very little visible carbonation. Aroma was sour and earthy and the taste was about the same with a little fruitiness. Finish was very dry and tart. I have not had the opportunity to have very many true lambic style beers, but I certainly liked this one. Despite some rude comments from some non beer drinkers in the room regarding the smell and taste, we both found the beer to very drinkable and enjoyable. It would probably go very well with some strong cheeses and fruit. Hopefully I'll have the opportunity to try more of their beers.

4.42/5  rDev +13.3%

Corked and Capped, Cork says 2009. Poured into a Stone RIS Snifter

A: Pours a nice orangish-yellow, super flat with zero carbonation, but that is to be expected of the style. Looks a bit like a juice instead of a beer.

S: Barnyard funk all over the place, with sourness and some tartness, lemon citrus and hints of oak and vanilla.

T: Super sour and tart, mouth-puckering. Pretty funky in the taste as well, with some vinegar and oak complexion come through near the end. Very tasty.

M/D: No carbonation, but the style dictates that this will be the case, and honestly you forget about it midway through. The sour and tartness are interesting and biting enough to not really need it. It's great to be able to see the base of the geueze by itself. Will drink again. Highly enjoyable for me.

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

Cantillon Broucsella (1900) Grand Cru (750 ml):

OK, let’s see what all the noise is about…my first lambic makes this a difficult review. Initially, Champaign like aroma…orange hue, the color of apple juice with a slight haze. Nice restrained head, that dissipates quickly to gossamer film. An uncertain smell is heading my way…slightly rotten and warmed apples perhaps, with a funky undertone that is hard to verbalize…earthy… peach-pit perhaps? Sour on the tongue, but not at all what I expected (not sure what that was). Dry as the day is long. Paired ungodly well with Stilton…never have I experienced such a perfect food/drink compliment. Drinkabilty here is an enigma. With a taste of stilton, I could easily down the 750 ml before me now and blissfully sit here and just let the warmth flood over me in harmony with all that is good (damn, I can now only imagine this lambic with a black truffle fettuccini Alfredo…freakin’ beautimus). Absent the stilton, while the tartness keeps forcing my hand to take another sip, the funk distracts and drinkability proportionally suffers. But somehow I’m still just diggin’ it.

Cheers...

4.07/5  rDev +4.4%

750ml bottle poured into a flute. The date on the cork says "Bottled in 2008." Thanks for the bottle, Steamhead!

Appearance:
Pours a hazy golden amber with zero head. Very still, wine-like.

Smell:
Rich and acidic. A light sour funk mixture of applies, grapes, and vinegar.

Taste/Mouthfeel:
Not overly sour, but has a good tart. Lots of fruit on display - apples and citrusy lemon in the aftertaste. Completely still with no carbonation and a very light body. No presence of alcohol. The sourness doesn't linger long at all.

Drinkability:
Easy sipping, low alcohol beer that goes down easily. Pretty flat, but this one works well without the carbonation. Goes great with dinner. Tons of flavor and just the right about of tart that doesn't obliterate your palate. I haven't had many offerings from Cantillon, but I feel like they definitely got it right with this one.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

A: golden yellow, no head.

S: Nice blend of tartness, horseblanket, and a slight mustiness.

T: More tart than musty, which for me is a good thing usually. the falvors are well balanced for the style.

M: No carbonation, but it still works well with the flavor.

D: Not my favorite style. considering that it's still not as drinkable as i'd like.

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Bottled November 16, 2009

A: Pours a slightly hazy gold/orange with very few bubbles that quickly dissipate. No head, no lacing

S: Smells pretty acidic and sour. Plenty of funky aromas, hay, oak, wild yeast, maybe a little apple cider. Seems to smell a bit vinous as well- like white wine.

T: Up front I get a whole bunch of citrus. Mostly lime, lemon, a bit of grapefruit. In the midpalate, I taste some bready malt, oak, green apples and some leather. This beer is citrusy, tart, sour, acidic. Has a flavor profile similar to a white wine or rose while also reminding me of a gueuze.

M: I would say the mouthfeel is medium. There is no carbonation

D: The Bruocsella Grand Cru is pretty sour/tart/acidic. It begins to wear on my palate. Would not drink it again

2.99/5  rDev -23.3%

2006 Vintage

Not much of a pop form the cork. Pours a bit flat. Oaky reddisih brown pour. The nose is cheesy with a hint of lemon . The flavor is a bit oak dominated and doesn't quite come together

Probably my least favorite Cantillon, but I wonder if it's just me because Jean Van Roy seems so happy when I purchased it.

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

750ml bottle purchased in Ohio on a recent trip. Poured into a tulip.

Pours with what appears to be absolutely no carbonation. The cork say's it was bottled in 2002. I've had bottles much older than that which retained carbonation. Considering this bottle is corked and crowned, I imagine it was meant to be like this. My understanding and experience with lambics lead me to believe that they tend to have relatively high carbonation levels. Color is a very pale color with decent clarity.

Smell is tart which is to be expected. I also pick up hints of chardonnay. Strange, but pleasing. I imagine if there was more carbonation the nose would be more pronounced.

Taste is great. A solid tartness to it but not over powerful. More toned down than a gueze but still enough for the style. The flavor and sourness go away rather quickly though, oh well, guess I'll keep drinking. Thin mouth feel.

Overall a very enjoyable and drinkable beer. I picked this up for $9, which for a Cantillon 750 seems like a hell of a deal. I would definitely recommend this and would love to have more lying around for myself.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Purchased from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA.

A - The beer pours a light orange. No head whatsoever. A little bit of sediment at the bottom of the glass.

S - The beer is very tart, smelling of citric fruits. Mildly acidic smell.

T - Like the smell, tart, with lots of phenols. It tastes a bit medicinal. Mild cider-like flavors.

M - Watery. The style is supposed to be thin bodied, as is this brew, but the consistency is basically that of water. I wouldn't say it is unpleasant but it certainly doesn't feel like beer.

D - Not a very drinkable beer. You may want to try it to experience an unblendrf lambic but it's not something I would make a habit up, especially given the price tag. Interesting, yes; pleasant, not so much.

4.22/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured from 750ml bottle, slightly chilled, into a wine glass. Hazed golden hue, very delicate and still, with a light ring of froth around the rim of the glass. Sour apple in the nose. Tart upfront, which isn’t so harsh after the first sip. Sour mash/bretty tastes dominate the flavor, but a light pear or apple infused white wine (no idea what grape) is noted. Mouthfeel is very dry and light, with a puckering sour finish. Very enjoyable, easy enough to drink. Drink it slow, however, and appreciate its complexities.

3.9/5  rDev 0%

Hazy golden color with a few soapy bubbles but basically no head. Sour aroma with grapefruit and stinky cheese. Musky and woody. Flat and watery with a good body. Everything in this beer is subtle but delicious. Its drinkability is higher than most lambics I've had.

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Bottled in 2009.

Shared by chswimmer in celebration of Arbitrator's graduation. Congratulations, Arbi. After five years you finally have your GED. The world is your oyster.

A still life: ambrosial funk, white wine grapes, fresh lumber, and citric exocarp. Yellow and immobile in the glass. Slim in body, but not thin. The stillness of the beer is compensated for with generous structures of oak.

An eminently drinkable lambic.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon