Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand CruCantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru

good

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Unblended |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-24-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru Alström Bros

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.7/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another sour split with my sour devourer partner. Damn we go through a lot of these. 2007 cork. Into tulips.

A: Orange gold amber. Small if any head. I think whatever head was produced was from a high pour.

S: Loads of lactic sour. Lemon grass and holy brett city! Like band aids soaked in band aids. Moldy basement and dirty gym socks.

T: The sour is mild in this one. It sort of tickles my tongue but does nothing to make me clench my jaw. Pool toys, lemon, band aids, moldy basement and wet wood. Complexity is there just not real sour.

M: Light body with very minimal carbonation.

O: A fine offering from the master. However not my cup of tea as far as lambics go. I need SOUR POWER.

3.5/5  rDev -10.9%

3.98/5  rDev +1.3%

Body is dull medium-light amber. The head forms easily and fades easily. The aroma is mulch or the loam in a forest, hint of horse blanket and ripe citrus or peach. The flavor: Basalmic vinegar and cotton candy (minus the sweetness). Salt and really thin, sour kumquats or oranges that aren't quite ripe yet, a little orange peel as well. A bit bitter in the finish. Is tart, but not as harshly tart as the Hanssens Oude Gueuze I had a few days ago. I didn't care for it to start with, but the more you drink, the easier it gets.

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%

3.76/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I bought this 2010 Lambic at the brewery on their open brewery day last spring.

Orange, slightly murky, not carbonation or head at all!

smell is leathery, fruity (apricot?), funky

taste is sour and tart

completely flat, light but not watery, some astringency towards the end

This is not my favorite Cantillon, because it shows less complexity than a blend as in a Geuze and I do miss the carbonation. However, it is still a Cantillon and it is always nice to experience a brew from this magical place.

4.6/5  rDev +17%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is a unique, infinitely drinkable beer. It also has one of my favorite labels. This sample was bottled in 2005.

Upon popping the tight fitting cork, there was no perceptable noise or gun smoke, I could tell this stuff would be still. Lambic aromas instantly hit me. The color is a slightly hazy straw gold color, like light apple juice. There are no carbonation streams and no head at all, except for a few bubbles on a hard pours. I did notice a few bubbles clinging to the bottom of my Frank Boon flute.

The aroma is Cidery, fruity, citric with plenty of hay, horse manure and straight sourness. The nose is strong. The taste reminds me of other Cantillons, just slightly softer and less funky. Tonnes of complex lemony, sharp sour flavors in the beginning. Sourness and barnyardy flavors build in the middle. Theres also green apple skins, oaky flavors, hay, dry white wine and even sour cherry flavors. The finish is puckeringly sour and also earthy and funky. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery, no carbonation at all is perceptable. Bone dry throughout.

I love Cantillon. They make such incredibly complex beers. I havent tried that many, I really want to try more. I wish they were easier to come by in Ontario.

This was a unique experience, this is my first beer with almost no carbonation. I liked it. I prefer Cantillon Gueuze or Vignerrone, but this is a very worthy, complex and funky lambic.

Cork says it was bottled in 2003.

A: Pours a hazy, murky golden amber without any noticeable carbonation or head. There are a few bubbles around the edges of the glass that tend to leave a slight haze after one takes a drink.

S: The bitterness is apparent upon simply putting the nose near the glass. Detecting traces of pear and apple with something of a leathery nature ghosting around as well.

T: Key adjectives for this one: acidic, bitter, tart. Similar to unripe or sour fruit (grapefruit, lemons, limes, apples) with its sharpness, but the intensity is short-lived, which is actually rather pleasant and refreshing.

M: Mouthfeel is best described as "warm" and medium-bodied (not watery, but not "thick"). The acid burn is not too intense on the mouth and the dry finish leads one to look towards the next sip.

D: An interesting, solidly produced beer. The tartness and acidity make it a strong choice for the special "once in a while" brew, something worth revisiting from time to time. I can imagine this being excellent with a meal to lessen the "tartness apathy" it instills after at time.

4.75/5  rDev +20.9%

4.5/5  rDev +14.5%

4.33/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottled 2006, large corked bottle, poured into a Cantillon glass.

Special one for me as it marks the completion of my task for the 103 styles.
Hazy orange, minimal carbonation, the thin bubbly head is barely present.
The aroma is an assault, as I pop the cork, the barnyard, musty smell literally fills the room. No need to stick my nose into the glass, but I do it anyway. Sour, acidic, woody and funky notes are clearly present.
Refreshing, light bodied, with a fruity and yeasty taste; woody, acidic, and very funky, even cheesy at times.
A very nice lambic, and a fun beer to complete my journey to try all listed 103 styles.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

4.38/5  rDev +11.5%

Part of NEPA BC split #19.

Pours a burnt orange sort of copper color, similar to a cider, with barely any head. Looks completely flat - virtually no carbonation. There is some yeast floating around as well.

Aroma overall is very subtle, owing I would guess to the very low carbonation and lack of head which doesn't fully allow the aroma to develop. Still, it's quite sour with acidic, tart fruity undertones. It also has a nice earthy/woodsy quality.

Taste begins with some tart apple and even a bit of citrus flavor. There is a peak of acidity after which it is only slightly acidic and funky, both of which mellow out almost completely as other flavors come to the fore through the finish. Those include earthy and woodsy flavors, and especially an oaky wood flavor that is very nice. Finish is very clean, as is the overall feel. It's light in body and the lack of carbonation makes it very soft and clean. It's quite dry, and the lack of carbonation and the woodsy oak give it a sort of cider like quality, with just a bit of tartness left in the mouth to pucker the cheeks a bit. I find myself licking the sides of my mouth to get the last drops of flavor that linger.

This is probably one of the most drinkable sour beers I've ever consumed. I'm really digging it. It's clean and smooth and very tasty. Outstanding.

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%

3.43/5  rDev -12.7%

This is my first "pure" (unblended) lambic, but I'll do my best here as I've recently taken an interest in this style.

This beer pours a dark yellow...and I don't mean this in a bad way, but it looks a chardonnay that is seriously past its prime.

Aroma is pure sour, with very little fruit aroma.

Taste is significantly sour, with a mellow chardonnay grape flavor. It is very tasty, and I prefer the 3-year-old mellowness of this beer to the geuze that I had before it.

This beer's mouthfeel is very wine-like. The beer has very little carbonation. This near-flatness makes it a rather big in your mouth, much like a wine.

Very interesting, and recommended.

Cantillon Bruocsella (1900) Grand Cru from Brasserie Cantillon