Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,398
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
Reviews by BeRanger:

3.57/5  rDev -20.8%

Bottle shared at Cantillon before the Moeder Lambic tasting last weekend. Been holing onto to this bottle to share at the real source. Thanks for hanging out gents!

From a 37,5cl bottle into a tasting glass
Vintage: 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium looking, foamy, white head with lousy retention. Head fades down to a ring rather quickly. A nice maroon red color, hazy, with no carbonation evident. A ring remains but leaves no lacing on the glass. A nice color, but rather unimpressive head.

SMELL: Quite nice. Funky acidic notes, with lots of berries and some tart lemon aromas on the nose. Reminds me mostly of pomegranate aromas, strangely enough. Rather enjoyable and well balanced between the fruit and funky lambic.

TASTE: Not quite as impressive as the aroma, unfortunately. A little empty up front with some acidic sourness initially. Tart lemon flavors and some sweetness from the berries come through the middle into the swallow. Bolder flavors come out after the swallow with acidic, tart lemon, light funk and some sweet pomegranate lingering on the palate. Sweet fruit with tart lemon and acidic notes linger on the palate. Rather nice and well balanced after the swallow, though a touch empty up front.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy and smooth enough on the palate, lighter, goes down fine and finishes dry and slightly puckering. A strange sensation of pomegranate slivers stick to the back of the throat, like you were drinking the juice.

OVERALL: This is a solid fruited lambic for sure. Very enjoyable, and on the same level as many of their other fruited lambics. The berries are rather subdued compared to some of the other examples of the style, but that is part of the art in building complexity. I also wouldn't necessarily describe the flavor as blue or blackberries, as pomegranate tastes, and feels, much more accurate here. Nevertheless, this was enjoyable and I was very happy to finally drink this one at the source. Cheers gents! (2,002 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A huge, HUGE thank you to the most awesome Jeffo for casually tossing this in the box he sent in probably the biggest trade I've done. I just about fell off my chair when I pulled this out, my biggest want for as long as I can remember.

3rd 40th birthday beer of the day. 2011 375ml bottle.

Appearance. Pours a nice looking, hazy, purplish-pink with s finger + of pink head with a hint of blue.

Smell. Nice and sour with that great woody funk, classic cantillon funk that is. Sour blueberries are there for sure ...the little wild sour ones that grow on the mountain, not the big fat sweet ones that are farmed out this way. Not sure what else to say, blueberry cantillon lambic, fuck yeah.

Taste. Oh man, sour blueberries, so tasty. Lots of that nice woody funk that anyone who's tried Cantillon knows and loves. It's a medium level of sourness and the blueberries are there, but a little more faint than I had imagined. Not like blueberry juice or anything, just amazing lambic complimented with the nice blueberries.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, fine medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Expectations were high and I was not let down. Fantastic stuff. Wish it was part of the regular line up. Again, huge cheers to Jeffo for this bottle of blueberry heaven. (1,261 characters)

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You. (2,206 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -14.9%

Let me precurse this review by saying how excited and full of anticipation I was to finally have a chance to try this brew...

750ml bottle, '11 inscribed on the bottom of the label with silver marker. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a deep purple color. A pink frothy head sits atop the brew and gets revived to a full finger's strength when lightly swirled. When held to the light, ruby coloration shows through the body and despite a careful pour, some tiny spots of what looks like blueberry skin rests on the bottom of the glass.

The smell of this brew is primarily funky with notes of plastic while it is chilled. Some indications of cheese and earthy fruit start to evolve as the brew warms up. It also has a mild almost medicinal touch about it. When the glass is swirled, only then do berry tinges come out and blend through the aroma. Once warm, this brew picks up a sort of damp woodsy character from the barrel aging. While not the most fragrant, bright or upfront fruit scent to a beer, it is well rounded and enjoyable.

The taste is funky primarily with plastic notes upfront. I won't sugar-coat my first impression; it is slightly disappointing considering the unrealistic aura surrounding this brew. As it warms up, it turns earthy and pitted with a light medicinal touch. The berry inclusion here gets increasingly earthy with a wet and almost moldy wood feel to it. There is a spice of alcohol that comes out across the back as the brew warms up. It is tart and rich in berry flavor once warm which is pleasant considering the initial let down.

This is a light bodied brew with a perfect amount of modest carbonation. It is lively enough in the mouth but not overdone and distracting. There is a solid mix of flavor/character to take in with lots of earthy tones. However, the initial impact of plastic and light nail polish remover was quite unwelcomed and didn't blend well with the rest of the brew. This offering was somewhat dry on the tongue which increased its overall salivation factor and ease of drink ability. It carries with it almost a cooling aspect about it in the back of the throat.

After the fact consideration: While glancing over other reviews, I don't see mention of some of the unpleasant character I picked up on in this. It makes me wonder just how variable some bottles can be. This is something I wouldn't mind trying again but it most certainly is not worth the price of admission. It is not the best fruit lambic I have had, it's not even the best Cantillon offering available. The sheer amount of blueberries that had to be packed in this to discolor the brew to the deep purple it is, is amazing. Unfortunately, that excitement/impression doesn't easily transpire to the same degree in either the flavor or aroma. (2,873 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well. (2,967 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

2009 vintage (batch 4)

A: A hazy reddish pink color with a small pink head that settles fairly quickly and leaves a ring of lacings.

S: The first thing to appear is Cantillon's funky house character of hay, earth and a hint of vinegar. Then, the fruit aromas appear - both tart green apples and ripe (almost overripe and fermenting) red apples, and fragile yet prominent notes of blueberries. Everything feels very rustic and genuine, no artificial fruit flavors in sight. Being a fruit lambic from Cantillon, the smell is very balanced and sober, not even close to harsh.

T: A flawless balance between tartness and sweetness, and again this beer feels relatively balanced and tidy. The sourness isn't as puckering as in some other beers from Cantillon. Instead it showcases an amazingly balanced complexity. The mild sweetness has a pleasant fruit character. Lots of aromas of apples, lemon peel and goose berries. Lots of blueberry flavors - but they are not overly prominent. At first, the blueberries has a somewhat sweet character and really give the beer a unique overall character. But here's lots of tartness going on which levels the sweetness, and in general the beer is quite sour. Hints of vinegar and lactic acid. Pleasant funky notes of wet hay, earth and brett. Hints of wheat. The finish has a very subtle grassy bitterness to it and nice oak barrel flavors. Hints of tart blueberries, minerals and funk lingers on in the mouth.

M: Moderate body and sparkling carbonation. Feels like a sparkling white wine in the mouth, but unfortunately the carbonation is slightly too exaggerated and it gets somewhat inharmonious. Dry finish.

D: A unique and really good beer. But some aspects of it aren't as great as the overall character. It doesn't showcase the same "in your face-attitude" as some other beers from Cantillon. Instead, as noted above, it's really well balanced and very complex. Despite its few kinks, a masterpiece.

---

Some brief notes about batch 5, released in the fall of 2009:

The same lovely color as batch 4. The smell is also very similar to the older batch, perhaps the blueberry aromas are slightly more prominent. The big difference lies in the mouthfeel and in the way the blueberries appear in the taste. The blueberries are slightly more pronounced, especially in the finish were they are very noticeable (and very tasty with a genuine and rustic character). This gives the beer a slightly new expression and I really enjoyed it. The level of carbonation is somewhat lower in this batch and the beers seems a little smoother. All in all, it's still a great beer.

Grades: A: 4,5; S: 4,5; T: 5; M: 4; D: 5. Total: 4,7 (2,665 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium... (637 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM! (735 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

Edit, almost forgot 2009 bottle unsure of batch # at the moment...but judging from the quick notes at that other beer site, I would guess I have batch #4.

First let me preface by saying I grew up on a 44 acre Cattle and Horse farm that had wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild apples, wild blackberries, wild pears, and a few other little goodies growing on the property. And I believe it's that reason that I truly love this brew.

I poured directly from the fridge into a Lindemans tulip (how many of you want to kill me for that?). Pours wonderfully, although quite hazy. This could be the fridge more than the beer though. For some reason my fridge always tends to chill haze lambics and gueuze.

A dark mix of garnet and deep violet create almost a mahogany color topped with a very interesting head. It has this amazingly pink center that fades ever so gradually down a hue to a whiter pink on the edges. As an artist I find this color ramping to be sublime.

Initial impressions on the nose are a vinergary tartness but it actually feels as though it's alive. The tartness level literally felt like it curled inward progressively. I loved it. The usual funk/barnyardy smells are present and make a strong showing which then seem to literally morph into a wild blueberry tartness. And I swear I pickup some stinky cheese (but a good stink) about midway through the nose.

Still chilly at this moment. I definitely taste the cheesiness in the middle to the end. Some more vinegary notes compliment the odd cheesiness well. The blueberries are almost a flash at this temperature. The tartness increases towards the middle with the fruit flavor literally flicking your tongue on initial taste.

The fruit flavor is sublime to say the least. If you like wild berries, this is just amazing. Dominated by wild blueberry, with some flavors/consitencies that seem like the skins as well with a slight grapefruit tartness. I can best describe the wild blues as to me, tasting like a grapefruit with a light zesting of lemon rind, perhaps a drip or two of fresh lime juice.

---
As it is now rounding the recommended temp I feel I should divulge further.

So much more wild blueberries on the nose. The smell has almost become the inverse of what it was. Now the cheese is playing the low and slow role. It hints in the front, but the blues now dominate from middle to end.

While intriguing cold, this is now changing into a wild blue bomb. Cheese & vinegar await you the second you swallow, but I am just blown away by the wild blue flavors. Also picking up some very subtle oaky notes in the front of the smell.

Mouthfeel appears to thin a little as it warms, but it coats your mouth so wonderfully I couldn't give it a lower score. It seems to clean itself up so well as it travels.

The aftertaste is no longer in the middle of the tongue as it was earlier (I swear it stuck dead center with the berry-ness). It now is a clawing sourness that I love more than anything. Literally feels as if there are two hands clasping the sides of my tongue. Loving this, extremely pleasant.

Sorry for the book, this is my first review and I have literally two pages of notes and feelings about this particular brew.

Thank you Cantillon and Jepe!

I prefer gueuze in most situations, but I find myself unable to put this down and not think about it, although I'm sure rarity and excitement play into that here's the real reason...

Directly quoted from my notes:

"This farm boy is practically time traveling to a simpler year. Cliche I know, but honestly I am awash with feelings and memories of growing up on the farm. Barefoot through the grass, eating handfuls of wild fruits, running with the horses as a child...Highly recommended to ANY country folk, I'm curious if this brew envokes anything similiar for the city dwellers. I could literally smell and daydream all day with this beer in hand!" (3,906 characters)

4.04/5  rDev -10.4%

750ml Bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours a murky purple with a nod towards red. The nose is all about fresh blueberries. The flavor is they typical Cantillon lambic character turned down a notch or two. Oh, and the blueberries are rocking there too. I thought it was a bit thin. Other than that, really good stuff. (312 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer. (339 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, cbanker!

Murky purple and dark blue in color with a thin head--nice dotted lacing left down the glass. Unique and gorgeous!

The aroma is a nice combination of barnyard mustiness, hay, and lots of plump, juicy blueberries, currant, and cherry, interestingly enough.

Surprised by the flavor, the yeast and funk lead the way and steal the show here. It's incredibly sour, mouth-puckeringly so, and while there' a good amount of fruit character, I'm not sure I would be able to say it was blueberry without knowing otherwise.

Low to medium bodied with high carbonation.

So glad I got to finally try this, but, I believe there are much better Cantillons. (695 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness? (1,348 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon