Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,258
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
Reviews by jmarsh123:
4.55/5  rDev +0.4%

Batch 7 375ml poured into my Chimay chalice.

Pours reddish purple with a finger of pink head with lacing down the glass.

Aroma is straight fruit tartness. Lots of unripe blueberry and cherry scents with some oak and typical Cantillon funkiness.

Starts out with a little tart cherry flavor. Deep funk, straw and lots of sour acidity coat the tongue and it finishes with a tart blueberry flavor. Almost like eating a not quite ripe blueberry straight from the bush.

Smooth mouthfeel with high prickly carbonation.

An excellent beer. It is supremely sour with lots of tart fruit characters. Immensely enjoyable, but not the best beer (and maybe not the best Cantillon) I've ever had.

3.55/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle shared at Cantillon before the Moeder Lambic tasting last weekend. Been holing onto to this bottle to share at the real source. Thanks for hanging out gents!

From a 37,5cl bottle into a tasting glass
Vintage: 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a medium looking, foamy, white head with lousy retention. Head fades down to a ring rather quickly. A nice maroon red color, hazy, with no carbonation evident. A ring remains but leaves no lacing on the glass. A nice color, but rather unimpressive head.

SMELL: Quite nice. Funky acidic notes, with lots of berries and some tart lemon aromas on the nose. Reminds me mostly of pomegranate aromas, strangely enough. Rather enjoyable and well balanced between the fruit and funky lambic.

TASTE: Not quite as impressive as the aroma, unfortunately. A little empty up front with some acidic sourness initially. Tart lemon flavors and some sweetness from the berries come through the middle into the swallow. Bolder flavors come out after the swallow with acidic, tart lemon, light funk and some sweet pomegranate lingering on the palate. Sweet fruit with tart lemon and acidic notes linger on the palate. Rather nice and well balanced after the swallow, though a touch empty up front.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy and smooth enough on the palate, lighter, goes down fine and finishes dry and slightly puckering. A strange sensation of pomegranate slivers stick to the back of the throat, like you were drinking the juice.

OVERALL: This is a solid fruited lambic for sure. Very enjoyable, and on the same level as many of their other fruited lambics. The berries are rather subdued compared to some of the other examples of the style, but that is part of the art in building complexity. I also wouldn't necessarily describe the flavor as blue or blackberries, as pomegranate tastes, and feels, much more accurate here. Nevertheless, this was enjoyable and I was very happy to finally drink this one at the source. Cheers gents!

4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

2009 vintage (batch 4)

A: A hazy reddish pink color with a small pink head that settles fairly quickly and leaves a ring of lacings.

S: The first thing to appear is Cantillon's funky house character of hay, earth and a hint of vinegar. Then, the fruit aromas appear - both tart green apples and ripe (almost overripe and fermenting) red apples, and fragile yet prominent notes of blueberries. Everything feels very rustic and genuine, no artificial fruit flavors in sight. Being a fruit lambic from Cantillon, the smell is very balanced and sober, not even close to harsh.

T: A flawless balance between tartness and sweetness, and again this beer feels relatively balanced and tidy. The sourness isn't as puckering as in some other beers from Cantillon. Instead it showcases an amazingly balanced complexity. The mild sweetness has a pleasant fruit character. Lots of aromas of apples, lemon peel and goose berries. Lots of blueberry flavors - but they are not overly prominent. At first, the blueberries has a somewhat sweet character and really give the beer a unique overall character. But here's lots of tartness going on which levels the sweetness, and in general the beer is quite sour. Hints of vinegar and lactic acid. Pleasant funky notes of wet hay, earth and brett. Hints of wheat. The finish has a very subtle grassy bitterness to it and nice oak barrel flavors. Hints of tart blueberries, minerals and funk lingers on in the mouth.

M: Moderate body and sparkling carbonation. Feels like a sparkling white wine in the mouth, but unfortunately the carbonation is slightly too exaggerated and it gets somewhat inharmonious. Dry finish.

D: A unique and really good beer. But some aspects of it aren't as great as the overall character. It doesn't showcase the same "in your face-attitude" as some other beers from Cantillon. Instead, as noted above, it's really well balanced and very complex. Despite its few kinks, a masterpiece.

---

Some brief notes about batch 5, released in the fall of 2009:

The same lovely color as batch 4. The smell is also very similar to the older batch, perhaps the blueberry aromas are slightly more prominent. The big difference lies in the mouthfeel and in the way the blueberries appear in the taste. The blueberries are slightly more pronounced, especially in the finish were they are very noticeable (and very tasty with a genuine and rustic character). This gives the beer a slightly new expression and I really enjoyed it. The level of carbonation is somewhat lower in this batch and the beers seems a little smoother. All in all, it's still a great beer.

Grades: A: 4,5; S: 4,5; T: 5; M: 4; D: 5. Total: 4,7

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium...

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Edit, almost forgot 2009 bottle unsure of batch # at the moment...but judging from the quick notes at that other beer site, I would guess I have batch #4.

First let me preface by saying I grew up on a 44 acre Cattle and Horse farm that had wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild apples, wild blackberries, wild pears, and a few other little goodies growing on the property. And I believe it's that reason that I truly love this brew.

I poured directly from the fridge into a Lindemans tulip (how many of you want to kill me for that?). Pours wonderfully, although quite hazy. This could be the fridge more than the beer though. For some reason my fridge always tends to chill haze lambics and gueuze.

A dark mix of garnet and deep violet create almost a mahogany color topped with a very interesting head. It has this amazingly pink center that fades ever so gradually down a hue to a whiter pink on the edges. As an artist I find this color ramping to be sublime.

Initial impressions on the nose are a vinergary tartness but it actually feels as though it's alive. The tartness level literally felt like it curled inward progressively. I loved it. The usual funk/barnyardy smells are present and make a strong showing which then seem to literally morph into a wild blueberry tartness. And I swear I pickup some stinky cheese (but a good stink) about midway through the nose.

Still chilly at this moment. I definitely taste the cheesiness in the middle to the end. Some more vinegary notes compliment the odd cheesiness well. The blueberries are almost a flash at this temperature. The tartness increases towards the middle with the fruit flavor literally flicking your tongue on initial taste.

The fruit flavor is sublime to say the least. If you like wild berries, this is just amazing. Dominated by wild blueberry, with some flavors/consitencies that seem like the skins as well with a slight grapefruit tartness. I can best describe the wild blues as to me, tasting like a grapefruit with a light zesting of lemon rind, perhaps a drip or two of fresh lime juice.

---
As it is now rounding the recommended temp I feel I should divulge further.

So much more wild blueberries on the nose. The smell has almost become the inverse of what it was. Now the cheese is playing the low and slow role. It hints in the front, but the blues now dominate from middle to end.

While intriguing cold, this is now changing into a wild blue bomb. Cheese & vinegar await you the second you swallow, but I am just blown away by the wild blue flavors. Also picking up some very subtle oaky notes in the front of the smell.

Mouthfeel appears to thin a little as it warms, but it coats your mouth so wonderfully I couldn't give it a lower score. It seems to clean itself up so well as it travels.

The aftertaste is no longer in the middle of the tongue as it was earlier (I swear it stuck dead center with the berry-ness). It now is a clawing sourness that I love more than anything. Literally feels as if there are two hands clasping the sides of my tongue. Loving this, extremely pleasant.

Sorry for the book, this is my first review and I have literally two pages of notes and feelings about this particular brew.

Thank you Cantillon and Jepe!

I prefer gueuze in most situations, but I find myself unable to put this down and not think about it, although I'm sure rarity and excitement play into that here's the real reason...

Directly quoted from my notes:

"This farm boy is practically time traveling to a simpler year. Cliche I know, but honestly I am awash with feelings and memories of growing up on the farm. Barefoot through the grass, eating handfuls of wild fruits, running with the horses as a child...Highly recommended to ANY country folk, I'm curious if this brew envokes anything similiar for the city dwellers. I could literally smell and daydream all day with this beer in hand!"

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml Bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours a murky purple with a nod towards red. The nose is all about fresh blueberries. The flavor is they typical Cantillon lambic character turned down a notch or two. Oh, and the blueberries are rocking there too. I thought it was a bit thin. Other than that, really good stuff.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer.

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, cbanker!

Murky purple and dark blue in color with a thin head--nice dotted lacing left down the glass. Unique and gorgeous!

The aroma is a nice combination of barnyard mustiness, hay, and lots of plump, juicy blueberries, currant, and cherry, interestingly enough.

Surprised by the flavor, the yeast and funk lead the way and steal the show here. It's incredibly sour, mouth-puckeringly so, and while there' a good amount of fruit character, I'm not sure I would be able to say it was blueberry without knowing otherwise.

Low to medium bodied with high carbonation.

So glad I got to finally try this, but, I believe there are much better Cantillons.

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness?

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge thanks to Sean for busting out this 750 at that insane tasting we will all talk about for years. This is the second of two beers I made sure to note that night.

Pours a bluish/purple with a beautiful, foamy head.

Naturally, lots of blueberries in the nose. Me, not being a sourhead, was a little anxious with this, but I didn't pick up much funk. Just juicy, farm-fresh blueberries. I seem to get more of a mixed berry whiff a bit later. I guess there is a slight vinegary component here but not enough to turn me off.

This is tart! Definitely a tad mouth-puckering. I'm getting oakiness and some leather hits, but I can't separate from those delicious blueberries!

Perfect, medium carbonation. I could drink this all mother loving day. This beer is everything I was led to believe it was. Refreshing, gorgeous, mesmerizing. Dare I say it's a gateway sour? Good luck finding this particular gate again though.

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

3.69/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2013 bottle

A - Ruby red body with a light clean white head to it

S - Blueberries, sweet tarts, blue cheese and barnyard funk

T - Really funky with lots of blue cheese and barnyard, not tart as all but instead is all funk. Light tart blue berries but barely blueberries or tartness to it. It was a pure funk bomb

M - Really dry and slightly watery body. A slight thickness from the funk remains on the tongue kinda like the creamy layer that remains after you eat some blue cheese

O - Not that impressed and thought this was really overrated as this was one of my least favorite Cantillon to date. Really a funky beer but not much tartness or fruit flavor to it

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon