Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,397
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness? (1,348 characters)

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. So excited to try this one. 2009 vintage. Thanks, John.

The cork almost popped off by itself. Wow, crazy pour. A beautiful purple color with a huge pink head, which dissipates fairly quickly but never fully. Massively carbonated. This is the nicest lambic I've ever seen.

The smell is exquisite. The usual Cantillon musty, funky, old attic aromas combine with rich, plump blueberries in a perfect melange. I could just smell this beer for hours. But then I wouldn't be drinking it, would I? So here we go...

This does not disappoint. I was somewhat concerned that after the buildup in my head about this beer, that a letdown would be inevitable. Nope. A straight blast of sourness and funk, followed by the tiniest bit of sweetness accompanying the blueberry rush mid-palate. Some wood component throughout. There might be a tiny hint of citrus zest in there as well. The finish is nicely sharp, and quite dry.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Relatively light-bodied, lively carbonation, dry finish.

Let's just say that I would drink copious amounts of this every day for the rest of my life if I had any more of this beer. Man oh man, what a beer... (1,184 characters)

2014 bottle, at the shop in Copenhagen.
Simply delicious, funky sour barn smell from the glass, but it drinks so smoothly, you just want more. Possibly the best vintage yet? (173 characters)

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You. (2,206 characters)

2007 vintage, 750ml bottle received in a trade from pepsican. Thanks!

Appearance: This one started to foam up as soon as the cork was removed. A gentle pour left me with a hazy blueish-purple liquid with a big pink-hued head. Lots of visible carbonation and great head retention, with chunks of blueberry skin visible in the foam.

Smell: The aroma is an unbelievable melange of sweet, ripe blueberries and Cantillon's signature farmhouse funk. The fruit's fresh, ripe smell has held up remarkably well here.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fruity up front, the unmistakable taste of blueberries shining through above even the puckering sourness. There's plenty of sourness here as well, though it's not as abrasive as some Cantillon beers. There's no sweetness, no malt to speak of; it's tart blueberries from start to finish. The bugs provide lots of depth to the flavor, but there's no distinct funkiness, as the fruit really does overpower almost everything else. The finish is dry but not overly sour or acidic, making this one of the easiest drinking lambics I've had. (1,063 characters)

Thanks to Cracked Kettle for the swift and efficient delivery of this rarity!

Cantillon Blabaer, 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage.
Uncorked and poured into a delicate Cantillon goblet. A very lively pour, but caught 100% of the mini-gush straight into the glass!

An amazing thick foamy pinky white head formed, with small, medium, large bubbles all holding firm above the dark purple brew itself. Absolutely fantastic appearance, and halfway through I noticed a head in the bottle as well.

Taste, as others have said, has the dark fruit dominating the typical Cantillon sour character of the beer, so this Blabaer was definitely less sour than the Kriek or St. Lamvinus etc. A perfect balance of fruit and sour. Tasted more like bluberries than blueberries, so no confusion there!

Mouthfeel was one of prickly carbonation through a creamy brew. This was one of the most special beers I have ever tasted, in fact, the head, carbonation and mouthfeel aspects were all like a fruit lambic version of the best Westy 12.

Hats of to Jeppe at Olbutikken and, of course, Cantillon themselves for creating a masterpiece.

A stunner in Cantillon's stable of world class beers. If lambics are your thing then you must try to search this one out. The best fruit lambic I have tasted. (1,271 characters)

A: Pours an absolutely beautifull dark peach/grapefruit red. A very small amount of light passes through. If you tilt the glass you can definitely see some purple. Almost no head at all on a very coservative pour.

S: Funk and fruits dominate the nose. I dont really pick up on any blueberry, just fruityness in general. The funk is quite strong in the small, its obvious this big boy is going to be a bit sour. This is the best smelling lambic Ive ever tried.

T: wow. Very sour and tart upfront. A bit mouth puckering at first, just the way I like it. The blueberry comes out half way through, especially if you swirl a bit in your mouth. The finish is crisp and refreshing.

D: Perfectly carbonated, just amazing. This is drinking very well right now. I could easily sip on this all night if it wasnt such a whale to get.

I hate to give a beer all 5's, but this is easily the best lambic Ive ever had. One that truely lives up to the hype. (943 characters)

This did not disappoint! Looked like dark pink shampagne when poured into the glass. Dry, tart and fruity. Prickly carbonation that washed all the deliciousness across my tongue. Blueberries must be an aphrodisiac 'cause I was getting laid thanks to this beer. I'm trading for a few more bottles right now. (306 characters)

2009 bottle. Had this at the bottle share at the Pour House after the FW14 release party. Big thanks to the generous BA that brought this. Unfortunately all the beer drinking somewhat fogged my memory regarding his name.

Pours a beautiful light pinkish purple with a very small head that laces ever so slightly.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries. Some nice citrus notes as well (ruby red grapefruit comes to mind).

This was much more funky than I had anticipated. The nose doesn't seem to have this same grassy funk, but it really hits your palate and its oh so beautiful. Tart, sour, and very very complex. The flavors just layer between blueberries, sourness, funk.

Well carbonated that allows the blueberries to just pop on your tongue.

I could drink this all day. Very very drinkable. I would love to pair this beer with a nice fruit dessert. (858 characters)

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes. (2,536 characters)

Opened this bottle up at my girlfriends medical school graduation party. Shared with a few friends, served around cellar tempature. This was the 4th great sour of the afternoon...we started off with some bullfrog el rojo, next was the veritas 003, followed by some russian river deviation and to end the night a 750ml bottle of 2007 Blabaer.

Cap was a bit rusty and smelled like rotting fish...cork was in perfect condition. Upon opening a beautiful stream of white foam with purple tints began to creep its way out of the bottle.
The beer pours a deep purple color with a white/pinkish head.
Aroma was the most increadable thing i have ever put my nose too. The first thing i notice are the danish blueberries. Its like im smelling fresh blueberries at the local farmers market in the height of their season. This is followed by a subtle funk. Some sour green apples, lemons, cocoa and as it warms a bit it begins to smell exactly like blueberry pancakes. Taste was supurb. A nice blueberry sweetness without being too overpowering, followed by the same blueberry flavor but this time they are very tart. Sour fruits galore in this one, just layers of complexity dancing over your tounge. A nice acetic feel with a bit of wet hay in the mix. The mouthfeel of this lambic is the best i have ever had. Nice smooth carbonation very creamy and goes down better and nicer then anything.
The drinkability of this beer is outstanding. Its so flavorful and nice i could drink this all night.

This is the most increadable lambic i have had the pleasure of drinking. If you are able to get your hands on a bottle, it will be a wonderful experience. (1,645 characters)

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM! (735 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic. (3,244 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

HUUUGE thanks to Dave for sharing this at a couple of tastings. You're the man! Review from notes.

Poured hazy pinkish, some red grapeskin hues with a pink-tinted white head that lasted a decent while. Wow the blueberry is really coming out of the glass. Nicely tart with a strong blueberry flavor... particularly of the unripe, sour blueberry kind. There's a lot more to this: slightest hint of mustiness, grass, and a puckering acidity. The beer is light and refreshing, yet very boldly flavored. Sourness is intense and relentless even in the finish, which is dry and tart. Berry flavor lingers a bit before giving way to a nice bit of funk. The beer is effervescent and dances with carbonation, but not too much so. Crisp and velvety at the same time, I can't really put my finger on it. All I know is that this beer is simply outstanding. Thanks again for sharing, Dave! (876 characters)

Review #800!

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to ygtbsm94; huge thanks to Brad for sharing this very sought after beer! Bottle is from Batch 3, 2007 Vintage.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with two inches of fluffy white head that has excellent rentention and leaves a little bit of lacing and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart blueberry, sour fruits, brett, and oak. The blueberries aren't overpowering, which makes it wonderful to smell and enjoy.

t - Tastes of blueberry, sour fruit, yeast, and brett. Hints of oak as well, but not as much as the smell. The tart blueberries come through a little more in the taste than the smell, but again, pretty amazing.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and crazy drinkable. A little bit tart but not too lip puckering, which allows it be be drank easily. Perfect mouthfeel.

d - Wow, what an amazing beer. At 5% ABV, I feel like I could drink a whole bottle of this and still want more. I'm not just marking this up due to rarity; this is one of the best beers I've ever had and if you like blueberries as I do, you'll love this one. We tried various sours at the tasting, including LeBleu and Crianza Helena and I enjoyed this one more than both of them; I came home the next day and immediately tried to trade for a bottle. Would love to have again sometime and truely worth the hype. (1,379 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Batch 1 received from gregc.

I was incredibly worried initially. The cap was wet with purple liquid and the cork started pushing itself out. I almost crapped my pants. Everything was all good though as he first sniff indicated.

A: Dark red very opaque. Tons of visible carbonation with chuncks if yeast and blueberries at the bottom. Dark pink head.

S: 50% sour funk, 50% vinegar, 50% blueberry. That's How intense it is. I must drink it now

T: Absolutely perfect. Rarely do I meet a beer as sour as I desire. This makes the cut. Amazing tartness up front that is exactly where I need it which fades into great blueberry. Truly an amazing beer.

M: Dead on for a wild ale. Nice and thin but with some body from the funk.

D: I hate to rate hyped beers high but this beer demands it. I've never been disappointed by Cantillon but this exceeds even their high standards. Truly a world class beer if I've ever tasted one. (926 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +10%

75cl bottle, 2007 vintage, black foil.

Shared by Brad (ygtbsm94). Thanks so much for making this happen!

This old bottle poured a nice murky purple-ish color, with the gorgeous pink head that everyone raves about. It actually had a good amount of head, considering it's age. Smell was predominantly blueberries and old, musty funk. It's awesome that the blueberry aroma is like actual berries, not some artificial stuff. Probably my favorite thing about the Cantillon lambics is that the real-fruit smells and flavors come through, even with age on them. The taste was stunning. Of course, there were loads of blueberries. I think with age, this beer has probably changed substantially, but everything was in it's right place. The bretty kind of funk was blended in nicely with the fruit, and a good lactic sourness tied it all together. I also picked up an interesting cinnamon note, which I have noticed previously in the cherry sours. Mouth feel was soft and lightly carbed. This beer is damn near perfect, and my review doesn't do it justice. Looking forward to trying another bottle, perhaps a fresh one, down the road. Drink this if you can; it is well worth the hype. (1,177 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

2007 vintage, 750 ml
Two finger head on top of a purple haze colored effervescent body. Hints of blueberry and a silky mouthfeel, perhaps too silky for the style. Little to no hop presence. Typical tartness for a cantillon and a blueberry finish make a wonderful lambic. Best fruit lambic i've had to date. Enough horseblanket to make me remember it. I've heard the 2009 version will be ready shortly, buy more of this one. (424 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had. (996 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium... (637 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750mL 2005 Batch 1 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This was my favorite batch. Totally unreal.

A- Pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Clear in initial pour but insanely opaque grapefruit juice color with the yeast.

N- Subdued blueberry muffin, unblended lambic citrus, funk, sour fruits.

T- Slight blueberries, unwashed, full of blueberry skins, lots of bright citrus and grapefruit rind that takes over and makes the blueberry very subdued. Overall is very sour and light bodied.

P- Geuze-like, tannic, sharp, very sour, very bright citrus. Leathery and lactic.

750mL 2007-1 Batch 2 black foil courtesy of madsberg. This is a totally different lambic all together.

A- Pours like a kriek that is on crack- straight up opaque purple with a billowing purple head that is insane. Blueberry seeds tumble into the champagne flute.

N- Full of band-aid, goes almost chemical, and has some baked cherry pie that comes through if you give it a chance.

T- More acidic, full of sour cherries, blueberry skins. Way different. Blind tasting either batch 1 or batch 2 I would not put as a blueberry lambic. I would put batch 1 as unblended, and 2 as a kriek.

750mL 2007-2 Batch 3 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This is where I think Jeppe was able to find a happy medium between batch 1 and 2.

A- This pours a cloudy pink with less of a pink head.

N- No band-aid and has more blueberry muffin, brine, cheese, funk, and overall less intense than batch 2.

T- Considerably more tart, full of lactic acid, more brightly acidic.

I'm scoring batch 1 as it was my favorite rather than averaging all of them together. (1,633 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

A huge thanks to Don for surprising me with this one. Str8 from across the pond! I bet when he shipped it, he didn't think he would be drinking it with me! Batch 6 750ml bottle. I shared this at a tasting. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. (Reviewing from notes)

A- Pours a faint purple color. A 2 finger pink head that recedes to a thin ring. A very beautiful beer.

A- smells of funk and earth. The blueberries are coming through in a big way. It smells very tart!

T- tart blueberries that are followed up by more tart blueberries. At some points I swear I get a brief sweetness coming through. A musty earthy taste is present. Just perfect. I don't know what else to say. This is definitely my favorite lambic to date.

M- on the thinner side of medium. A tart finish that leaves me yearning for another drink.

D- I don't think it could get any better. Simply perfect! (878 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

I drank this 2009 version, not sure which batch(I'm guessing 4), from a 22oz bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pours a deep grape jelly colored purple with a nice medium pink head. The head rises about 3 fingers and is very creamy and soft with great retention and lace. Probably the best head I've seen in a lambic.

The aroma is medium with mostly tartness coming through, some horse blanket mostly. Its nice because you get the funkiness you're looking for but not so overpowering that you get tired of it. At the end you get a little sweetness, but not much blueberry.

The taste is great, its super complex and well balanced. It starts soft and sweet and highly drinkable, towards the middle and end it evolves to have nice tartness. Once again, like the aroma it gets you the tartness you desire in drinking a lambic but not so overpowering that you can't drink a ton. At the end you finally get some blueberry mixed with a final tart goodbye.

The feel is nice and heavy with a lasting feel.

The drinkability is off the scale.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. From the taste I'm guessing its batch four because its balanced with sweet and funk. A lot of top beers don't live up to the hype but this one certainly does. (1,242 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750mL gold foil bottle from 2007 poured into a generic Crate & Barrel tulip.

A: Deep red, opaque, light head with moderate lacing. Little bits of seed (?) are visible when held up to light.

S: Funky, fruity. Can't say the blueberrys are distinctive here, but I'm amazing at the level of fruitiness in the scent as this bottle is pushing 5 years old.

T: That fruitiness starts it off and quickly fades into an incredibly puckering sour. Fruit seems to linger in the aftertaste. This beer is truly incredible.

M: Light body, reasonably sticky. Carbonation is a little more subtle than other Cantillons I've had in the past.

O: This beer is absolutely awesome. I now have to seek out a fresher bottle to see what this is like fresh! (734 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a hazy thick reddish purple. A nice bit of white head. Smells tart and heavily of blueberry on the nose. Tastes fruity and sour. Dry and very very tart. Incredibly tasty on the tongue. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall lives up to the legend! (255 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon