Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,238
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)

codysjb, Jan 23, 2014

CaptinRedBeard, Nov 16, 2011

Soonami, Feb 01, 2012

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness?

Beerandraiderfan, Mar 21, 2012

BobbysLiquors, Jul 09, 2013

Photekut, Nov 17, 2011

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. So excited to try this one. 2009 vintage. Thanks, John.

The cork almost popped off by itself. Wow, crazy pour. A beautiful purple color with a huge pink head, which dissipates fairly quickly but never fully. Massively carbonated. This is the nicest lambic I've ever seen.

The smell is exquisite. The usual Cantillon musty, funky, old attic aromas combine with rich, plump blueberries in a perfect melange. I could just smell this beer for hours. But then I wouldn't be drinking it, would I? So here we go...

This does not disappoint. I was somewhat concerned that after the buildup in my head about this beer, that a letdown would be inevitable. Nope. A straight blast of sourness and funk, followed by the tiniest bit of sweetness accompanying the blueberry rush mid-palate. Some wood component throughout. There might be a tiny hint of citrus zest in there as well. The finish is nicely sharp, and quite dry.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Relatively light-bodied, lively carbonation, dry finish.

Let's just say that I would drink copious amounts of this every day for the rest of my life if I had any more of this beer. Man oh man, what a beer...

davod23, Dec 06, 2009

bombadil, Nov 14, 2011

zach60614, Jan 13, 2013

HaveUSeenMyCellar, Aug 09, 2013

SPLITGRIN, Nov 29, 2011

2014 bottle, at the shop in Copenhagen.
Simply delicious, funky sour barn smell from the glass, but it drinks so smoothly, you just want more. Possibly the best vintage yet?

sunnrider, Sep 09, 2014

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You.

mikesgroove, May 23, 2009

2007 vintage, 750ml bottle received in a trade from pepsican. Thanks!

Appearance: This one started to foam up as soon as the cork was removed. A gentle pour left me with a hazy blueish-purple liquid with a big pink-hued head. Lots of visible carbonation and great head retention, with chunks of blueberry skin visible in the foam.

Smell: The aroma is an unbelievable melange of sweet, ripe blueberries and Cantillon's signature farmhouse funk. The fruit's fresh, ripe smell has held up remarkably well here.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fruity up front, the unmistakable taste of blueberries shining through above even the puckering sourness. There's plenty of sourness here as well, though it's not as abrasive as some Cantillon beers. There's no sweetness, no malt to speak of; it's tart blueberries from start to finish. The bugs provide lots of depth to the flavor, but there's no distinct funkiness, as the fruit really does overpower almost everything else. The finish is dry but not overly sour or acidic, making this one of the easiest drinking lambics I've had.

largadeer, Sep 20, 2008

Sixofsigmas, Nov 25, 2011

SourinQns, Mar 09, 2013

cosmonick, Aug 03, 2013

bobby8405, Nov 17, 2011

fromthewood, May 24, 2014

Thanks to Cracked Kettle for the swift and efficient delivery of this rarity!

Cantillon Blabaer, 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage.
Uncorked and poured into a delicate Cantillon goblet. A very lively pour, but caught 100% of the mini-gush straight into the glass!

An amazing thick foamy pinky white head formed, with small, medium, large bubbles all holding firm above the dark purple brew itself. Absolutely fantastic appearance, and halfway through I noticed a head in the bottle as well.

Taste, as others have said, has the dark fruit dominating the typical Cantillon sour character of the beer, so this Blabaer was definitely less sour than the Kriek or St. Lamvinus etc. A perfect balance of fruit and sour. Tasted more like bluberries than blueberries, so no confusion there!

Mouthfeel was one of prickly carbonation through a creamy brew. This was one of the most special beers I have ever tasted, in fact, the head, carbonation and mouthfeel aspects were all like a fruit lambic version of the best Westy 12.

Hats of to Jeppe at Olbutikken and, of course, Cantillon themselves for creating a masterpiece.

A stunner in Cantillon's stable of world class beers. If lambics are your thing then you must try to search this one out. The best fruit lambic I have tasted.

Habanero58, Jun 19, 2009