Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,179
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
sleepydave

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Edit, almost forgot 2009 bottle unsure of batch # at the moment...but judging from the quick notes at that other beer site, I would guess I have batch #4.

First let me preface by saying I grew up on a 44 acre Cattle and Horse farm that had wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild apples, wild blackberries, wild pears, and a few other little goodies growing on the property. And I believe it's that reason that I truly love this brew.

I poured directly from the fridge into a Lindemans tulip (how many of you want to kill me for that?). Pours wonderfully, although quite hazy. This could be the fridge more than the beer though. For some reason my fridge always tends to chill haze lambics and gueuze.

A dark mix of garnet and deep violet create almost a mahogany color topped with a very interesting head. It has this amazingly pink center that fades ever so gradually down a hue to a whiter pink on the edges. As an artist I find this color ramping to be sublime.

Initial impressions on the nose are a vinergary tartness but it actually feels as though it's alive. The tartness level literally felt like it curled inward progressively. I loved it. The usual funk/barnyardy smells are present and make a strong showing which then seem to literally morph into a wild blueberry tartness. And I swear I pickup some stinky cheese (but a good stink) about midway through the nose.

Still chilly at this moment. I definitely taste the cheesiness in the middle to the end. Some more vinegary notes compliment the odd cheesiness well. The blueberries are almost a flash at this temperature. The tartness increases towards the middle with the fruit flavor literally flicking your tongue on initial taste.

The fruit flavor is sublime to say the least. If you like wild berries, this is just amazing. Dominated by wild blueberry, with some flavors/consitencies that seem like the skins as well with a slight grapefruit tartness. I can best describe the wild blues as to me, tasting like a grapefruit with a light zesting of lemon rind, perhaps a drip or two of fresh lime juice.

---
As it is now rounding the recommended temp I feel I should divulge further.

So much more wild blueberries on the nose. The smell has almost become the inverse of what it was. Now the cheese is playing the low and slow role. It hints in the front, but the blues now dominate from middle to end.

While intriguing cold, this is now changing into a wild blue bomb. Cheese & vinegar await you the second you swallow, but I am just blown away by the wild blue flavors. Also picking up some very subtle oaky notes in the front of the smell.

Mouthfeel appears to thin a little as it warms, but it coats your mouth so wonderfully I couldn't give it a lower score. It seems to clean itself up so well as it travels.

The aftertaste is no longer in the middle of the tongue as it was earlier (I swear it stuck dead center with the berry-ness). It now is a clawing sourness that I love more than anything. Literally feels as if there are two hands clasping the sides of my tongue. Loving this, extremely pleasant.

Sorry for the book, this is my first review and I have literally two pages of notes and feelings about this particular brew.

Thank you Cantillon and Jepe!

I prefer gueuze in most situations, but I find myself unable to put this down and not think about it, although I'm sure rarity and excitement play into that here's the real reason...

Directly quoted from my notes:

"This farm boy is practically time traveling to a simpler year. Cliche I know, but honestly I am awash with feelings and memories of growing up on the farm. Barefoot through the grass, eating handfuls of wild fruits, running with the horses as a child...Highly recommended to ANY country folk, I'm curious if this brew envokes anything similiar for the city dwellers. I could literally smell and daydream all day with this beer in hand!"

01-15-2010 07:59:23 | More by sleepydave
ggaughan

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I finally got a chance to try this beer, thanks Jeppe! The beer poured a hazy, deep amber almost crimson body, dense. Vigorour head formed, vibrant pint color that receeded quickly and left a full ring on the edge. The nose was very tart, earthy and a bit of exotic fruit. The taste...tart, tart, tart! Don't get me wrong, the taste is excellent. The blueberry notes are strong, fresh and wonderful. There is also some citrus and pepper on the tongue. If you take a look at the label, the face tells you the story of this beer. Tart yet wonderful. Well worth the effort to get it.

10-10-2009 11:25:23 | More by ggaughan
berkey

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

375 ml 2009 bottle split between two tulips and shared with fellow BA Danny at his place in North San Diego County.

Pours a blue-purple with more of a head than most Cantillons I've had the opportunity to sample. The light pinkish-lavender hued head settles quickly but leaves a thick ring around the edges of the glass for the entire tasting.

The lambic funky aroma is very strong but anchored in place surprisingly well by the very clearly defined fruity blueberry notes. The style requisite tart character really works well with this particular fruit.

Blueberry flavors are much stronger on this bottle than I thought based on the observations shared with me by others who have tried it. Acidic, sweet, and oak barrel flavors are perfectly in balance. I'm glad I tried this relatively fresh because although it wasn't as funky as some aged Cantillon bottles I've tried I really enjoyed how much the fruit flavor was intact.

I almost expected a letdown on this brew because of some of the rarity induced hype but this is very impressive even for a Cantillon and among the best beers I've ever tried. Hopefully I can land some more in the near future.

10-31-2010 16:53:44 | More by berkey
Slatetank

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I was waiting for some time for the chance to try this and was glad I got the opportunity. Enjoyed from the 750ml into a cantillon tulip.

A reddish purple hue with thick pink band after settling. The bead is of various sizes with lace that sticks pretty well. The clarity of this beer is on the translucent side. The smell is great, the funk is huge in this with big berry fruity aroma and mild phenolic accent which is slightly medicinal at first but seems to mellow allowing the dark berry odors to take over with a slight floral and woody note. There is a mild tart berry skin hint with a nice amount of oak and light herbal tinges. The feel has a tannic and juicy astringent acidity up front which makes way for some slight sweet fruit flesh tinges and the sour yeast which has a clean lactic sour quality and still adds a mild spice effect with the moderately high carbonation.

A blueberry taste is apparent with big fruity tart taste and bit phenolic flavor that carries over where the aroma leaves off. There is a lactic type of flavor with mild acidic puckering quality. The taste has a gentle woody tinge with mild bitter aspect in the background. The taste has more of an earthy accent as it warms with the funk flavor coming out to meet the fruit and sour taste with the tart pie-like berry blueberry tart tatste. Overall I was overjoyed with the experience. I find this to be a great fruit beer with a nice sourness from the wild yeast without becoming too overwhelming...the perfect blend practically of berry and wild yeast. I really enjoyed this and there is very little to find fault with -Kudos Cantillon!

11-13-2011 19:04:43 | More by Slatetank
Doodler

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff.

09-08-2011 04:48:21 | More by Doodler
Patrick999

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

02-14-2010 16:22:58 | More by Patrick999
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

02-21-2010 18:40:22 | More by Bitterbill
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

06-20-2009 00:54:21 | More by BeerTruth
drowland

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +6%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing!

07-25-2011 15:00:24 | More by drowland
mikeyv35

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

08-02-2010 01:42:43 | More by mikeyv35
corby112

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

01-10-2010 01:21:44 | More by corby112
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +6%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

05-15-2011 02:50:45 | More by yourefragile
Overlord

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

10-02-2009 06:04:00 | More by Overlord
starrdogg

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +6%

2010 Vintage opened up at my end-of-law school tasting and shared with yourefragile and beandip.

A: Pours a gorgeous ruby-red/purple with a pretty decent whitish-red head. I don't think I've ever seen a beer quite this color before.

S: I literally smell something different every time I smell it I get something a little different, the funk and the blueberry aromas seem to be battling for control here and there are hints of sourness a bit of band-aid lingering in the background. This was pretty much the only aspect of the beer that wasn't mindblowing.

T: Taste is big on the blueberries up front, but it opens up into a great funkiness that meshes very well with the fruit, then finishes sour, but not overwhelmingly so. The flavors come together perfectly, making this a treat to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is stupendous, it's got very nice carbonation and it really coats your mouth and then finishes very dry, pretty much perfect.

O: When a beer is so hyped up like this one, there is concern about being disappointed in the end, but Blabaer lived up to its lofty billing without a problem. This is damn close to a perfect lambic, it's got everything you could want - fruitiness, funk, sour - in an ideal arrangement.

05-15-2011 15:33:39 | More by starrdogg
Crosling

Colorado

4.8/5  rDev +6%

This is a blueberry lambic exclusively brewed for Olbutikken, Copenhagen's best beer store.

Astounding color. Deep magenta with a super dark pink head, with little pieces of blueberry particles in the head. The beer clearly absorbed the color of the blueberries in a spectacular way. Without question, the best looking Cantillon beer I’ve seen.

The aroma is prehaps the most disappointing aspect of the beer. It’s just not nearly as powerful as I’d like. That being said, it’s still nice.

The flavor is absolutely incredible. Of all the Cantillon beers I’ve tried with fruit additions (cherries, raspberries, muscats grapes, red wine grapes, apricots, cranberries) the Danish blueberries in this beer is absolutely the best fruit addition. After the mid-palate, the blueberries become dominant. The fruit tastes lush, authentic and phenomenal. Also, for a Cantillon it’s not intensely sour like Rose De Gambrinus or Fou Foune, but instead, very well balanced. This is an incredible fruit lambic.

04-11-2007 13:22:05 | More by Crosling
hayesez

Indiana

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010

05-10-2010 06:11:54 | More by hayesez
ktrillionaire

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

07-13-2010 03:54:54 | More by ktrillionaire
Damian

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

06-27-2011 03:22:55 | More by Damian
fvernon

Wisconsin

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

A surprise share by Urbancaver - thanks Cam! '09 vintage poured into an Upland snifter between four of us. It poured out looking, well, almost exactly like fresh raspberry juice - a mellow and thin red with delicate lacing. It's really quite beautiful. Aromas of saddle leather, field grasses, very ripe strawberry and blueberry.

It packs a bit of a sour punch, almost like a sourpatch kid or strawberry jolly rancher, but with a fresh blueberry/strawberry quality and a background of the grass and leather from the aroma. The taste is very clean, and the fruit is right up front as the star of the show. The mouthfeel is much as the appearance - akin to fresh raspberry juice; it is just the right balance of alcohol, sugars, and clean juice to keep the body in check from becoming too heavy or too thin. Absolutely wonderful lambik.

02-05-2012 05:31:01 | More by fvernon
alfrantzell

2009 batch 2.

This esteemed beverage is purple in the glass, and smells like fresh blueberries and ripe armpits. The taste is blue and berryful. There is also some red wine.

Being six months old, the fruit isn't as full figured as a fresher bottle; blueberries aren't as robust to lambic as cherries, it seems.

Not worlds apart from the Lou Pepe series, but the Danish blueberries are what I'm partial to.

04-26-2010 20:34:15 | More by alfrantzell
Chriscrundwell12

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with scoand. Beer review number 300.

Batch: 7 (2011)

A- Pours a one finger light pink foamy head that dissipates slowly, really attractive pink lacing on the sides, dark blood red color, slight purple color, hard to see through it.
S- Really nice aroma, musky, slight barnyard aroma, cobwebs, nice fruity notes, berries, fresh blueberries, funky earthy manure? Really complex.
T- Really nice taste, really complex, nice acidity, sour lemon, vinegar, nice barnyard funk, absolutely delicious, fresh blueberries come out, nice tartness.
M-Medium/light mouth feel, dry fish, acidic, puckering, sour.
O- Ok I will have to admit I put this beer on a pedestal, and in the end it did not let me down, just amazing, when it warms up a bit, the blueberries come out beautifully, just an amazing beer.

01-14-2012 03:00:56 | More by Chriscrundwell12
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A huge, HUGE thank you to the most awesome Jeffo for casually tossing this in the box he sent in probably the biggest trade I've done. I just about fell off my chair when I pulled this out, my biggest want for as long as I can remember.

3rd 40th birthday beer of the day. 2011 375ml bottle.

Appearance. Pours a nice looking, hazy, purplish-pink with s finger + of pink head with a hint of blue.

Smell. Nice and sour with that great woody funk, classic cantillon funk that is. Sour blueberries are there for sure ...the little wild sour ones that grow on the mountain, not the big fat sweet ones that are farmed out this way. Not sure what else to say, blueberry cantillon lambic, fuck yeah.

Taste. Oh man, sour blueberries, so tasty. Lots of that nice woody funk that anyone who's tried Cantillon knows and loves. It's a medium level of sourness and the blueberries are there, but a little more faint than I had imagined. Not like blueberry juice or anything, just amazing lambic complimented with the nice blueberries.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body, fine medium-low carbonation.

Overall. Expectations were high and I was not let down. Fantastic stuff. Wish it was part of the regular line up. Again, huge cheers to Jeffo for this bottle of blueberry heaven.

09-01-2013 01:09:03 | More by Rutager
kevanb

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml Bottle, 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to Chris for bringing this over!

Pours a fantastic reddish purple color, hints of pink and burgundy with a nice fizzy pinkish white head that is very lively but recedes quickly, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The color though is gorgeous. The aroma is amazing, huge blueberry notes leap out of the glass, nice amount of yeast and funk, but nothing too cheesy or vinegary either, perfectly balanced. Mild amounts of wood find its way out as well. The flavors are just about perfect, lots of fresh blueberries, acetic acid, oak and funk. The balance is perfect, such a jammy, yet juicy flavor, this could be a pie filling or muffin filling. The body is perfect, while it has the acidity of most lambics and sours, this one is so soft and smooth on the tongue.

Verdict: This is fantastic and warrants the hype. This is definitely a celebration of fresh and natural blueberry.

07-29-2012 20:34:45 | More by kevanb
lunarbrew

Wisconsin

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Stevedore for sharing such a treat. Poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass

Beer pours a hazy grapefruit juice color. Very interesting. I've never seen a beer that looks like this. Fizzy and intriguing. A red/purple glow permeates the beer.

Smells pretty damn sour. Lactic and green apple skin. Of course, a nice blueberry scent. It's not a sweet blueberry preserve smell, but instead a fresh tart blueberry smell.

Taste matches the smell. There are tart fresh blueberries, heavy lactic, some vinegar, some lemon, some green apple skin. There is funk in here, but to me it is covered by the flavor. Quite sour. Most sour beer I've had next to Beat.

Mouthfeel is medium, fizzy, and finishes pretty dry. I get one of those "I want more" sensations after each sip due to the lactic and dry finish.

Overall, this was indeed amazing. Lives up to the hype imo. A very unique lambic--like none I've tasted.

09-17-2013 21:16:17 | More by lunarbrew