2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 497 | Reviews: 215 | Show All Ratings:
ffejherb

4.13/5  rDev -9%

Thanks to FooFaa for saving this bottle for a special occasion and sharing on 12/30/09.

A - Poured an opaque, deep violet-colored body with light pinkish head that retained very well, leaving behind some foamy lace, which stuck to the sides of the flute.

S - Tart blueberry character with a hint of fruity sweetness, a subtle band-aid character and spicy notes. There's also plenty of wood and oaky tannins, giving the aroma a hint of astringency.

T - Initial flavor is indeed quite tart (as the aroma had forewarned) with a subtle band-aid character and some spicy notes. A very slight fruity sweetness manages to overcome the intense sourness, but is gone just as quickly as it appears. Finishes with lots of woody astringency.

M - Medium bodied with a warm mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Prepare for your palate to be doused with a wash of astringency, resulting in a major pucker fest.

D - Definitely one of the most drinkable Cantillon beers, I found this to be not as brash as some of the others I've had in the past, probably due to the addition of the blueberries. While this was still quite sour, it also had a slight sweet character and plenty of woody notes to quell the intense tartness, even if only slightly.

12-31-2009 19:51:05 | More by ffejherb
atis

Finland

4.3/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

12-31-2009 14:59:44 | More by atis
davod23

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. So excited to try this one. 2009 vintage. Thanks, John.

The cork almost popped off by itself. Wow, crazy pour. A beautiful purple color with a huge pink head, which dissipates fairly quickly but never fully. Massively carbonated. This is the nicest lambic I've ever seen.

The smell is exquisite. The usual Cantillon musty, funky, old attic aromas combine with rich, plump blueberries in a perfect melange. I could just smell this beer for hours. But then I wouldn't be drinking it, would I? So here we go...

This does not disappoint. I was somewhat concerned that after the buildup in my head about this beer, that a letdown would be inevitable. Nope. A straight blast of sourness and funk, followed by the tiniest bit of sweetness accompanying the blueberry rush mid-palate. Some wood component throughout. There might be a tiny hint of citrus zest in there as well. The finish is nicely sharp, and quite dry.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Relatively light-bodied, lively carbonation, dry finish.

Let's just say that I would drink copious amounts of this every day for the rest of my life if I had any more of this beer. Man oh man, what a beer...

12-06-2009 00:13:53 | More by davod23
TurdFurgison

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes.

11-15-2009 19:52:38 | More by TurdFurgison
ricke

Sweden

4.68/5  rDev +3.1%

2009 vintage (batch 4)

A: A hazy reddish pink color with a small pink head that settles fairly quickly and leaves a ring of lacings.

S: The first thing to appear is Cantillon's funky house character of hay, earth and a hint of vinegar. Then, the fruit aromas appear - both tart green apples and ripe (almost overripe and fermenting) red apples, and fragile yet prominent notes of blueberries. Everything feels very rustic and genuine, no artificial fruit flavors in sight. Being a fruit lambic from Cantillon, the smell is very balanced and sober, not even close to harsh.

T: A flawless balance between tartness and sweetness, and again this beer feels relatively balanced and tidy. The sourness isn't as puckering as in some other beers from Cantillon. Instead it showcases an amazingly balanced complexity. The mild sweetness has a pleasant fruit character. Lots of aromas of apples, lemon peel and goose berries. Lots of blueberry flavors - but they are not overly prominent. At first, the blueberries has a somewhat sweet character and really give the beer a unique overall character. But here's lots of tartness going on which levels the sweetness, and in general the beer is quite sour. Hints of vinegar and lactic acid. Pleasant funky notes of wet hay, earth and brett. Hints of wheat. The finish has a very subtle grassy bitterness to it and nice oak barrel flavors. Hints of tart blueberries, minerals and funk lingers on in the mouth.

M: Moderate body and sparkling carbonation. Feels like a sparkling white wine in the mouth, but unfortunately the carbonation is slightly too exaggerated and it gets somewhat inharmonious. Dry finish.

D: A unique and really good beer. But some aspects of it aren't as great as the overall character. It doesn't showcase the same "in your face-attitude" as some other beers from Cantillon. Instead, as noted above, it's really well balanced and very complex. Despite its few kinks, a masterpiece.

---

Some brief notes about batch 5, released in the fall of 2009:

The same lovely color as batch 4. The smell is also very similar to the older batch, perhaps the blueberry aromas are slightly more prominent. The big difference lies in the mouthfeel and in the way the blueberries appear in the taste. The blueberries are slightly more pronounced, especially in the finish were they are very noticeable (and very tasty with a genuine and rustic character). This gives the beer a slightly new expression and I really enjoyed it. The level of carbonation is somewhat lower in this batch and the beers seems a little smoother. All in all, it's still a great beer.

Grades: A: 4,5; S: 4,5; T: 5; M: 4; D: 5. Total: 4,7

11-01-2009 23:20:00 | More by ricke
xpimptastikx

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Finally! I couldn't wait any longer after getting this in a trade.
Batch 2 - 2007 - 375ml

A - Wow, I've never seen a beer this color... As I pour this deep purple lambic almost 2 fingers of pink stained tan head rises and settles after a few seconds.

S - The second I started pouring this I could smell the blueberries. When you're nose deep in the glass there is a strong acidity and a nice healthy funk, lovely barnyard and cheese.

T - Frickin' awesome. Not the sourest Cantillon I've had, but definitely packs a punch. It blend very well with the funk going on as well. The blueberries are also the most present out of Cantillon fruit lambic that I've had. It might just be in my head but I swear the blueberries also add to the sourness, as if they were picked early.

M/D - This one was carbonated pretty well and probably one of the only things I could find I didn't like about, and I was trying pretty hard.
Rarity and price aside, I could drink this any day of the year, I would just need 30 minutes to lose myself in it.

Batch 4 - 2009 - 750mL

This is a pure funk bomb, tastes like a blueberry flavored band-aid. Fruit wasn't as present as I remembered, and this bottle was fresher... Too medicinal, I'm going to knock my appearance down to account for the difference in batches.

10-30-2009 21:33:48 | More by xpimptastikx
nkersten

4.53/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a- 2009 375ml pours a hazy dark red/purple with champagne like carbonation. About half an inch of bubbly head with a less then vigorous pour.
s- Some blueberry fruit sweetness and sour cherry with a little bit of lemon in the background.
t- Not nearly as sweet as I expected it to be. The berries linger and really come out in the aftertaste, but for the most part it is a very tart fresh blueberry flavor up front that sticks around and slowly fades. A little citrus lemon sourness as well.
m- At first it was almost over carbonated and hard to drink and get any flavor to compete with the mouth burning bubbles, but as it warmed up it became much better.
d- After the carbonation subsided and i got used to the sour flavors, it became very drinkable. Overall a great sour, but not my favorite Cantillon. A big thanks to Adam and Mike for getting me this.

EDIT: Recently tried a batch 6 and it was MUCH better. Red pour with pinkish head, strong blueberry smell, some lemon. Very sour, sour blueberries, musky cologne, farmhouse funk, grainy blueberry seeds. A tart medium body with a medium carbonation. Very drinkable.

10-22-2009 03:11:37 | More by nkersten
ggaughan

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

I finally got a chance to try this beer, thanks Jeppe! The beer poured a hazy, deep amber almost crimson body, dense. Vigorour head formed, vibrant pint color that receeded quickly and left a full ring on the edge. The nose was very tart, earthy and a bit of exotic fruit. The taste...tart, tart, tart! Don't get me wrong, the taste is excellent. The blueberry notes are strong, fresh and wonderful. There is also some citrus and pepper on the tongue. If you take a look at the label, the face tells you the story of this beer. Tart yet wonderful. Well worth the effort to get it.

10-10-2009 11:25:23 | More by ggaughan
Overlord

4.8/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

10-02-2009 06:04:00 | More by Overlord
francisweizen

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -4.2%

Rusty golden
fluffy head
smells of sour blues and bread

taste is tart
bready too
quite wild as well but not too blue

Mouthfeel creamy
finish dry
I could drink this every Fri.

Cantillon it does the trick
when you want a special kick
super sour but not too much fruit
I'd love a case of this in my car boot

09-21-2009 19:55:49 | More by francisweizen
craytonic

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

2009 375ml consumed 9/13/09

Appearance: Big pink, frothy head, the beer itself is a velvet-purple satin.

Smell: I just didn't get the blueberries I was expecting. The ones I found were very mellow, not fresh. Outside of that, it was perfect. A very strong acidity, with a welcome funk element of leather, wet wood, earth, etc.

Taste: Extremely similar to the bouquet, very faint/mellow blueberries with a bracing acidity and an excellent funk element. This one is incredibly sour, but everything is so balanced.

Mouthfeel: It isn't heavy, but an incredible amount of tannins from the blueberries cause this one to coat the full mouth. Definitely a teeth/limps stainer as well.

Drinkability: This one disappeared.

*NB: This is hands down the best lambic I have ever tasted in my life. Because I found the blueberries to be a bit subdued, I have adjusted the Smell down .5 (should be .25 really). This is the only thing keeping me from giving all fives.

09-14-2009 15:35:18 | More by craytonic
rayjay

Hawaii

4.5/5  rDev -0.9%

Thanks to ricke! 375 mL corked bottle poured into my favorite lambic glass (11 oz pilsner). 2009 vintage. Careful, it's a countertop stainer and a foamer!

Blueberry bits are all over this beer, and all over the cork. Inside of the cork is lavender and slimy looking, but remains intact and isn't actually rotten (thankfully). Pours with a big blueberry head, complete with small pieces of blueberry (invoking a homebrew of some sort).

Wild smell. Notes of blueberries are dominant, also sulphur compounds, old stale urine, gueuze, lots of pediococcus, wild yeast with off notes that would be a drainpour with a regular beer but it's beautiful here. I wouldn't enjoy it if I hadn't had wild ales before though...

Flavors are of tart blueberries. Wild lambic flavors are abound; this is the tamest Cantillon I've had, yet it's still probably a bit too weird for anyone who's unfamiliar with what to expect. Some mild oak notes. I've changed my score up from a 4.0 because I'm getting to like it more and more as it warms. Finishes sweet and tart with a medicinal blueberry fume.

A vigorous pour resulted in a mildly carbonated beer with a huge stable head. It's sticky and sweet but that doesn't bring the mouthfeel down one bit.

The more it warms the more I can't help gulp it down. I didn't quite like it when I first poured it but it came alive after about 10 minutes. Great stuff!

09-10-2009 02:00:10 | More by rayjay
Sean9689

4.63/5  rDev +2%

Review #150!

Huge thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for opening this one at our wild/sour tasting. 2009 Batch 4, poured from 375ml bottle into Bell's Tulip.

A - Pours purple/dark blue with a pink fluffy head. Lots of sticky lacing is left behind once the head dies down a bit. The look of this beer is unlike anything I've ever seen...something to be seen, no doubt about it!

S - Blueberry funk/tart, mellow sweetness, and light acidic notes. It's hard to put into words the perfection of this blueberry lambic, so pardon me if I just comment how awesome it is by saying, "it's awesome".

T - Well, what do you think it tastes like? Uh...blueberries? Yeah, I'd say so. Sweet blueberries, sour blueberries, funky blueberries. However you'd like your blueberries, this lambic dishes it out. A nice acidic bite but nothing too strong. This one stays pretty mellow when compared to the nose.

M - Light, nice fizzy carbonation that cover the palate well. This is a great beer to swish around on your mouth and enjoy slowly. A nice rich finish, that I really enjoy.

D - So easy to drink, I already want another all to myself!

09-02-2009 16:12:49 | More by Sean9689
pwoods

4.55/5  rDev +0.2%

Huge thanks to bachbum1975 for cracking this crazy rare beer. Thanks, Shane!

375ml corked and capped green bottle, into a kbs tulip. '09 batch 4.

A: Pours a very deep, brillant ruby. Decent sized champagne like head that holds nicely, cottoncandy pink. Lays to a fine but thick head. Some lacing.

S: Great fruity aroma and lots of Cantillon funk. Smells closer to raspberry than blueberry. Great funk, loads of complexity.

T/M: Amazing funk, not abrassive but tasty and complex. Great sour and tart fruits but still controlled. Distinct blueberry doesn't come out until the swallow and aftertaste. The funk is big and cheesy with all the nice horsey, barnyard, musky flavors. Body is about medium and carbonation is nicely elevated. Finishes with that great dryness.

D: very crushable. 5% and extremely refreshing.

08-27-2009 01:20:06 | More by pwoods
beachbum1975

4.18/5  rDev -7.9%

375ml bottle - Batch # 4. 2009 bottle shared with pwoods and some close friends... Thanks to Todeon from RB for the trade! This one just flew in from Sweden this morning and I must try it!

Pours a bright, almost purple to blood red with cloudiness and some larger sized yeast chunkies that were resting on the bottom. There's an aggressive, highly foamy rich, medium pink head above.

I get straight up funk on this one with no hints of blueberries. The funk is great.... Nasty and sour yet very inviting. The smell is rigid - strong and plentiful. Big ol' nose.

Taste is much like the nose. Lots of funk with high carbonation. Medium bodied over. At first, I was a bit upset because I didn't get the blueberry aroma I was expecting, but after swallowing and allowing the flavor to waft to my nose, I got the berry essence. The long lasting flavor that retained in my mouth is sour with fresh berries....

This beer is VERY easy to drink and enjoyable. There's big flavor, lots of sour all trailed by a nice berry flavor. Wow...

08-27-2009 01:05:53 | More by beachbum1975
fiver29

4.38/5  rDev -3.5%

Batch 3 pours hazy ruby color with a thin off white head. Looks almost pink. Aroma is perfect. Blueberry, some funk, tart acidic character, and a touch more blueberry. I could just smell this all night. Medium light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Flavor had blueberry, tart acid, funk, and had a nice balance between the fruit and the funk. The blueberry flavor was a little subdued on the taste. Otherwise this has got to be one of my favorites. Thanks Brad for sharing this!

08-21-2009 20:12:22 | More by fiver29
MasterSki

4.63/5  rDev +2%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew.

08-17-2009 04:49:04 | More by MasterSki
gford217

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1000. I can't thank Jan enough for the opportunity to try this rarity, a 375mL bottle, 2007 vintage.

The cork came out with an impressive pop. Pours a gorgeous hazy purplish red with a fizzy lavender head that recedes fairly quickly but does hang around as a cap for the duration. Lacing is spotty.

The aroma is very interesting and the blueberries were evident right as I popped the cork and they seemed fairly sweet and sugary. However, once in the glass the aroma become much more pungent and trademark Cantillon. It's got the strong tart blueberries, a strong vinegar acidity and a healthy dose of funk. A strong, complex and overall stunning nose.

The taste is more of the same with a strong vinegar presence up front with the blueberries coming in on the tart side of things. There is a faint sweetness in there, but not nearly as sweet as that initial blueberry smell in the nose. The finish is dry with lots of funk and lots of tart fruit.

The mouthfeel is spritzy with lots of carbonation and very dry and funky on the palate.

Well, I've certainly been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of funk and vinegar but it's much more balanced (for me) than some of the other Cantillons I've had. Wonderfully balanced and deserving of the praise.

08-15-2009 03:07:36 | More by gford217
PEBKAC

3.8/5  rDev -16.3%

Separate '05 & '07 bottles shared under the admissions tent lights at BCTC late on Saturday. Too many spitters & not enough swallowers, as there was still some left once they were passed around & most of us turned in. In comes the late-night lush that is moi to make sure nothing goes to waste. :)

Double-fisting & always prepared, one comes out a rusty, yellow brown & not very pretty. The second, prettier. A cherry stained purple, with a dusty blue head.

A sour lemon yogurt-sort of smell carries off the top of the older bottle, while the newer brings just mainly boxed, dusty blueberries.

Taste was big in both directions. Not a real fan of exhibit A, as it was too much cheese & vinegar, & too little fruit. Fruit pits if you want to be picky, minerally, with a regurgitated stomach acid/gueuze sort of burn. Not exactly knocking it, just a little disappointed. It was a decently pungent Cantillon, but that's not exactly what I came for. The 07 was quite tasty though, though probably less complex. Super earthy & upfront blueberries, strong wheaty presence, barrel, & just a bit cidery on the end. Neither quite tannic, but the big fruit in the fresher bottle sold me.

Both times, a little too frothy. B was thicker, more rustic then A. A puckered me up plenty, B while slighter, still had me clenching some.

Sad to say that, however uneven, this score is a blend.

Quite a pleasure to have been its receptacle. :P

08-10-2009 06:22:27 | More by PEBKAC
pepsican

Iowa

4.47/5  rDev -1.5%

Hazy red pour with a reddish white head. Tart blueberry and oak in the aroma. Flavor is very similar, mildly dusty and good god is that sour. Very tart finish with just a touch of sweetness that..."balances(?)" it out. This was batch 2 from 2007.

07-17-2009 03:34:22 | More by pepsican
aerozeppl

4.9/5  rDev +7.9%

Thanks to drseamus for sharing. 2007 bottle by way of gregc.

A: Super dark reddish purple color. The purplish head was really nice looking but it quickly retreated to a thin cover on the beer. There were chunks of blueberries in the bottom of the glass.

S: Blueberries right up front. This beer had an incredible balance between tartness and vinegar. Both were quite intense.

T: Intense tartness right up front. This beer pushed my glands about as far as they go. Insanely tart. The blueberry goes so well with the tart insanity. The vinegar/lacto is there and strong but it balances out all of the tartness. Perfectly balanced.

M: Just amazing. A touch dry in the finish. Gland crushing tartness as part of the mouthfeel.

D: One of the best beers I have ever had. Simply amazing. Even with the insane rarity this is still a 5.

07-08-2009 22:37:37 | More by aerozeppl
drseamus

4.97/5  rDev +9.5%

Batch 1 received from gregc.

I was incredibly worried initially. The cap was wet with purple liquid and the cork started pushing itself out. I almost crapped my pants. Everything was all good though as he first sniff indicated.

A: Dark red very opaque. Tons of visible carbonation with chuncks if yeast and blueberries at the bottom. Dark pink head.

S: 50% sour funk, 50% vinegar, 50% blueberry. That's How intense it is. I must drink it now

T: Absolutely perfect. Rarely do I meet a beer as sour as I desire. This makes the cut. Amazing tartness up front that is exactly where I need it which fades into great blueberry. Truly an amazing beer.

M: Dead on for a wild ale. Nice and thin but with some body from the funk.

D: I hate to rate hyped beers high but this beer demands it. I've never been disappointed by Cantillon but this exceeds even their high standards. Truly a world class beer if I've ever tasted one.

06-27-2009 18:04:42 | More by drseamus
tpd975

4.25/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge Thanks to Fogdog and jdub for bringing this one out for the Cigar City BA Bolita release party.

A: Pours a nice deep berry red with a fizzy head with a pink tinge. Little retention and no lace.

S: Nice funky sour aroma. The berries are there but they are of the sour sort.

T: Nice and acidic up front. The berries come out in the middle. They are in fact sour like early season strawberries with a blast of under ripe blueberries. Hints of citrus peek through along with the funky tartness found in all Cantillions.

M: Rather light to be honest, zippy carbonation.

D: Very good for the style. I usually don't find Cantillion to be real drinkable this one is.

06-27-2009 12:56:53 | More by tpd975
BeerTruth

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +6.4%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

06-20-2009 00:54:21 | More by BeerTruth
Habanero58

United Kingdom (England)

Thanks to Cracked Kettle for the swift and efficient delivery of this rarity!

Cantillon Blabaer, 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage.
Uncorked and poured into a delicate Cantillon goblet. A very lively pour, but caught 100% of the mini-gush straight into the glass!

An amazing thick foamy pinky white head formed, with small, medium, large bubbles all holding firm above the dark purple brew itself. Absolutely fantastic appearance, and halfway through I noticed a head in the bottle as well.

Taste, as others have said, has the dark fruit dominating the typical Cantillon sour character of the beer, so this Blabaer was definitely less sour than the Kriek or St. Lamvinus etc. A perfect balance of fruit and sour. Tasted more like bluberries than blueberries, so no confusion there!

Mouthfeel was one of prickly carbonation through a creamy brew. This was one of the most special beers I have ever tasted, in fact, the head, carbonation and mouthfeel aspects were all like a fruit lambic version of the best Westy 12.

Hats of to Jeppe at Olbutikken and, of course, Cantillon themselves for creating a masterpiece.

A stunner in Cantillon's stable of world class beers. If lambics are your thing then you must try to search this one out. The best fruit lambic I have tasted.

06-19-2009 10:19:25 | More by Habanero58