Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,448
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Huge thanks to bachbum1975 for cracking this crazy rare beer. Thanks, Shane!

375ml corked and capped green bottle, into a kbs tulip. '09 batch 4.

A: Pours a very deep, brillant ruby. Decent sized champagne like head that holds nicely, cottoncandy pink. Lays to a fine but thick head. Some lacing.

S: Great fruity aroma and lots of Cantillon funk. Smells closer to raspberry than blueberry. Great funk, loads of complexity.

T/M: Amazing funk, not abrassive but tasty and complex. Great sour and tart fruits but still controlled. Distinct blueberry doesn't come out until the swallow and aftertaste. The funk is big and cheesy with all the nice horsey, barnyard, musky flavors. Body is about medium and carbonation is nicely elevated. Finishes with that great dryness.

D: very crushable. 5% and extremely refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev -7.1%

375ml bottle - Batch # 4. 2009 bottle shared with pwoods and some close friends... Thanks to Todeon from RB for the trade! This one just flew in from Sweden this morning and I must try it!

Pours a bright, almost purple to blood red with cloudiness and some larger sized yeast chunkies that were resting on the bottom. There's an aggressive, highly foamy rich, medium pink head above.

I get straight up funk on this one with no hints of blueberries. The funk is great.... Nasty and sour yet very inviting. The smell is rigid - strong and plentiful. Big ol' nose.

Taste is much like the nose. Lots of funk with high carbonation. Medium bodied over. At first, I was a bit upset because I didn't get the blueberry aroma I was expecting, but after swallowing and allowing the flavor to waft to my nose, I got the berry essence. The long lasting flavor that retained in my mouth is sour with fresh berries....

This beer is VERY easy to drink and enjoyable. There's big flavor, lots of sour all trailed by a nice berry flavor. Wow...

4.42/5  rDev -2.2%

Batch 3 pours hazy ruby color with a thin off white head. Looks almost pink. Aroma is perfect. Blueberry, some funk, tart acidic character, and a touch more blueberry. I could just smell this all night. Medium light mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation. Flavor had blueberry, tart acid, funk, and had a nice balance between the fruit and the funk. The blueberry flavor was a little subdued on the taste. Otherwise this has got to be one of my favorites. Thanks Brad for sharing this!

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1000. I can't thank Jan enough for the opportunity to try this rarity, a 375mL bottle, 2007 vintage.

The cork came out with an impressive pop. Pours a gorgeous hazy purplish red with a fizzy lavender head that recedes fairly quickly but does hang around as a cap for the duration. Lacing is spotty.

The aroma is very interesting and the blueberries were evident right as I popped the cork and they seemed fairly sweet and sugary. However, once in the glass the aroma become much more pungent and trademark Cantillon. It's got the strong tart blueberries, a strong vinegar acidity and a healthy dose of funk. A strong, complex and overall stunning nose.

The taste is more of the same with a strong vinegar presence up front with the blueberries coming in on the tart side of things. There is a faint sweetness in there, but not nearly as sweet as that initial blueberry smell in the nose. The finish is dry with lots of funk and lots of tart fruit.

The mouthfeel is spritzy with lots of carbonation and very dry and funky on the palate.

Well, I've certainly been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of funk and vinegar but it's much more balanced (for me) than some of the other Cantillons I've had. Wonderfully balanced and deserving of the praise.

3.78/5  rDev -16.4%

Separate '05 & '07 bottles shared under the admissions tent lights at BCTC late on Saturday. Too many spitters & not enough swallowers, as there was still some left once they were passed around & most of us turned in. In comes the late-night lush that is moi to make sure nothing goes to waste. :)

Double-fisting & always prepared, one comes out a rusty, yellow brown & not very pretty. The second, prettier. A cherry stained purple, with a dusty blue head.

A sour lemon yogurt-sort of smell carries off the top of the older bottle, while the newer brings just mainly boxed, dusty blueberries.

Taste was big in both directions. Not a real fan of exhibit A, as it was too much cheese & vinegar, & too little fruit. Fruit pits if you want to be picky, minerally, with a regurgitated stomach acid/gueuze sort of burn. Not exactly knocking it, just a little disappointed. It was a decently pungent Cantillon, but that's not exactly what I came for. The 07 was quite tasty though, though probably less complex. Super earthy & upfront blueberries, strong wheaty presence, barrel, & just a bit cidery on the end. Neither quite tannic, but the big fruit in the fresher bottle sold me.

Both times, a little too frothy. B was thicker, more rustic then A. A puckered me up plenty, B while slighter, still had me clenching some.

Sad to say that, however uneven, this score is a blend.

Quite a pleasure to have been its receptacle. :P

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Hazy red pour with a reddish white head. Tart blueberry and oak in the aroma. Flavor is very similar, mildly dusty and good god is that sour. Very tart finish with just a touch of sweetness that..."balances(?)" it out. This was batch 2 from 2007.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Thanks to drseamus for sharing. 2007 bottle by way of gregc.

A: Super dark reddish purple color. The purplish head was really nice looking but it quickly retreated to a thin cover on the beer. There were chunks of blueberries in the bottom of the glass.

S: Blueberries right up front. This beer had an incredible balance between tartness and vinegar. Both were quite intense.

T: Intense tartness right up front. This beer pushed my glands about as far as they go. Insanely tart. The blueberry goes so well with the tart insanity. The vinegar/lacto is there and strong but it balances out all of the tartness. Perfectly balanced.

M: Just amazing. A touch dry in the finish. Gland crushing tartness as part of the mouthfeel.

D: One of the best beers I have ever had. Simply amazing. Even with the insane rarity this is still a 5.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Batch 1 received from gregc.

I was incredibly worried initially. The cap was wet with purple liquid and the cork started pushing itself out. I almost crapped my pants. Everything was all good though as he first sniff indicated.

A: Dark red very opaque. Tons of visible carbonation with chuncks if yeast and blueberries at the bottom. Dark pink head.

S: 50% sour funk, 50% vinegar, 50% blueberry. That's How intense it is. I must drink it now

T: Absolutely perfect. Rarely do I meet a beer as sour as I desire. This makes the cut. Amazing tartness up front that is exactly where I need it which fades into great blueberry. Truly an amazing beer.

M: Dead on for a wild ale. Nice and thin but with some body from the funk.

D: I hate to rate hyped beers high but this beer demands it. I've never been disappointed by Cantillon but this exceeds even their high standards. Truly a world class beer if I've ever tasted one.

4.23/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge Thanks to Fogdog and jdub for bringing this one out for the Cigar City BA Bolita release party.

A: Pours a nice deep berry red with a fizzy head with a pink tinge. Little retention and no lace.

S: Nice funky sour aroma. The berries are there but they are of the sour sort.

T: Nice and acidic up front. The berries come out in the middle. They are in fact sour like early season strawberries with a blast of under ripe blueberries. Hints of citrus peek through along with the funky tartness found in all Cantillions.

M: Rather light to be honest, zippy carbonation.

D: Very good for the style. I usually don't find Cantillion to be real drinkable this one is.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

Thanks to Cracked Kettle for the swift and efficient delivery of this rarity!

Cantillon Blabaer, 750ml bottle, 2009 vintage.
Uncorked and poured into a delicate Cantillon goblet. A very lively pour, but caught 100% of the mini-gush straight into the glass!

An amazing thick foamy pinky white head formed, with small, medium, large bubbles all holding firm above the dark purple brew itself. Absolutely fantastic appearance, and halfway through I noticed a head in the bottle as well.

Taste, as others have said, has the dark fruit dominating the typical Cantillon sour character of the beer, so this Blabaer was definitely less sour than the Kriek or St. Lamvinus etc. A perfect balance of fruit and sour. Tasted more like bluberries than blueberries, so no confusion there!

Mouthfeel was one of prickly carbonation through a creamy brew. This was one of the most special beers I have ever tasted, in fact, the head, carbonation and mouthfeel aspects were all like a fruit lambic version of the best Westy 12.

Hats of to Jeppe at Olbutikken and, of course, Cantillon themselves for creating a masterpiece.

A stunner in Cantillon's stable of world class beers. If lambics are your thing then you must try to search this one out. The best fruit lambic I have tasted.

4.04/5  rDev -10.6%

750ml Bottle shared by Bobby91w. Pours a murky purple with a nod towards red. The nose is all about fresh blueberries. The flavor is they typical Cantillon lambic character turned down a notch or two. Oh, and the blueberries are rocking there too. I thought it was a bit thin. Other than that, really good stuff.

Opened this bottle up at my girlfriends medical school graduation party. Shared with a few friends, served around cellar tempature. This was the 4th great sour of the afternoon...we started off with some bullfrog el rojo, next was the veritas 003, followed by some russian river deviation and to end the night a 750ml bottle of 2007 Blabaer.

Cap was a bit rusty and smelled like rotting fish...cork was in perfect condition. Upon opening a beautiful stream of white foam with purple tints began to creep its way out of the bottle.
The beer pours a deep purple color with a white/pinkish head.
Aroma was the most increadable thing i have ever put my nose too. The first thing i notice are the danish blueberries. Its like im smelling fresh blueberries at the local farmers market in the height of their season. This is followed by a subtle funk. Some sour green apples, lemons, cocoa and as it warms a bit it begins to smell exactly like blueberry pancakes. Taste was supurb. A nice blueberry sweetness without being too overpowering, followed by the same blueberry flavor but this time they are very tart. Sour fruits galore in this one, just layers of complexity dancing over your tounge. A nice acetic feel with a bit of wet hay in the mix. The mouthfeel of this lambic is the best i have ever had. Nice smooth carbonation very creamy and goes down better and nicer then anything.
The drinkability of this beer is outstanding. Its so flavorful and nice i could drink this all night.

This is the most increadable lambic i have had the pleasure of drinking. If you are able to get your hands on a bottle, it will be a wonderful experience.

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Huge thanks to my buddy Joey for sharing this one! Had this one at La Bella on 5-16-09 along with Tony, Danny, Jeff, and a few others. Hope you enjoyed this one Tony!

I was planning on drinking this for my 500th review but it crossed my path a little sooner, or I just didn't drink/review fast enough. The first time I had this beer was at the RateBeer Summer Gathering 2008, the Grand Tasting at Pizza Port Carlsbad. I only had about a 1oz sample and that was enough to make an impression on me and I've been hunting this one since then...fortunately a very generous trader worked out a trade with me and I was able to get a bottle (thanks jasonm, I will be enjoying that bottle soon).

The first time I tried this last summer (only a 1oz pour though) I thought the sourness and fruit were more balanced, maybe because it was fresher? Here goes...

From a 750ml bottle, 2007 vintage (batch II).

Poured a garnet and violet color, a little haziness, and an attractive pinkish quarter inch of foam.

Funky and tart blueberries assault the nostrils, lots of acidity, and lemon tartness. A bit of tea-like herbalness, lots of wet leather aromas, and musty as it warmed up. This beer was a battle of funk and fruit, both were very intense...the blueberries really make this beer outstanding.

Just like in the aroma, brett funk, hay, sour blueberries, very acidic going down, leather, and acidic lemon. It was almost like biting into a really sour lemon peel. The beer gets dryer with every sip. Again, the fruit flavor is just outstanding and doesn't overpower the beer. At some points it seems like there is some sweetness at the beginning but then the sourness and dryness wrecks the palate. Medium-high carbonation and a bit prickly on the tongue at first.

One of the best sours and truly one of the great Cantillon beers out there. Can't wait to have this again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of tasting several bottles ( 75cl & 37.5cl) of this fine fruit Lambik; vintage 2007 Batch 1 & 2. Pours a light to medium burgundy with slight white head! Has a pleasant tart funky barnyard aroma with a touch of blueberry maybe a little cranberry in the background. Gotta love this soft tart blueberry zest; just enough to cause the lips to smack with delight. Much less acidic and sour than some other Cantillon fruit Lambics though. The mouth feel was pleasant with some carbonation along with a perfect balance of Blueberry tartness/acidity. This is definitely one of the best fruit Lambics on the market today. Thanks Jeppe for supplying all those tasty blueberries to create such a great brew.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

2007 vintage, 750 ml
Two finger head on top of a purple haze colored effervescent body. Hints of blueberry and a silky mouthfeel, perhaps too silky for the style. Little to no hop presence. Typical tartness for a cantillon and a blueberry finish make a wonderful lambic. Best fruit lambic i've had to date. Enough horseblanket to make me remember it. I've heard the 2009 version will be ready shortly, buy more of this one.

4.25/5  rDev -6%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of kramer (thanks Jason!).

Poured a darker reddish, pinkish, amber color with a smaller sized pinkish head. Aromas of funkiness, barnyard, blueberries, and yeast. Tastes of leather, funk, yeast, and tart blueberries.

I really dug the funkiness and the way the blueberries were done on this one.

Notes from and tasted on 10/7/07.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Jeppe for sharing this at West Lakeview! A rare treat that I never thought i'd get to try.

Served in a stemmed wine glass. Deep and vibrant blueish purple color that is just magic. Frothy, creamy foam that sizzles with a lively crackle.

Strong aroma of wet hay, like morning dew on a hay bale. Wild barn stall notes with an underlying fruity scent of the Danish blueberries. Tartness is perceptible in the nose, but it's very mellow and integrated.

Luscious berry flavor, a very savory feel, with a moderate level of sour. Not too sharp or acidic, it's vinous and just about perfect. Nice level of carbonation that gives it lightness without any distraction. Just a fantastic complex lambic that really showcases the blueberries.

2007 vintage, 750ml bottle received in a trade from pepsican. Thanks!

Appearance: This one started to foam up as soon as the cork was removed. A gentle pour left me with a hazy blueish-purple liquid with a big pink-hued head. Lots of visible carbonation and great head retention, with chunks of blueberry skin visible in the foam.

Smell: The aroma is an unbelievable melange of sweet, ripe blueberries and Cantillon's signature farmhouse funk. The fruit's fresh, ripe smell has held up remarkably well here.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fruity up front, the unmistakable taste of blueberries shining through above even the puckering sourness. There's plenty of sourness here as well, though it's not as abrasive as some Cantillon beers. There's no sweetness, no malt to speak of; it's tart blueberries from start to finish. The bugs provide lots of depth to the flavor, but there's no distinct funkiness, as the fruit really does overpower almost everything else. The finish is dry but not overly sour or acidic, making this one of the easiest drinking lambics I've had.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Thanks to Nick for this sample!
750ml. Bottle. 2007 vintage. Pours a purple/red color with a pinkish head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is subtle on the blueberries with more barnyard funk, wood, and citrus.

Flavors of blueberries, raspberries, funky sour cherry in there as well.

Nice balance between the sweet and sour. A well made beer.

4.36/5  rDev -3.5%

Vintage 2007. Sampled at a private party at GABF.

Poured an amazing hazy purple with a tight pink head.

The aroma was of full brettanomyces barnyard funk, lactic acid, and faint blueberries in the background.

The flavor was moderately tart for a Cantillon beer. It had all the great tight and clean funk that makes Cantillon beers my favorite amongst the sours. The blueberry flavor was very subdued and in the background. The beer had a clean biscuity and wheaty malt backbone (very subtle, but nice).

The carbonation was high and the mouthfeel was light.

This beer was incredibly refreshing, as are all Cantillons, and extremely drinkable.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon