Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,428
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
3.92/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a slightly murky dark red with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with some blueberry and other berry aromas along with a distinct plastic-like smell in the mix. Taste is much the same with the plastic quality coming through on the aftertaste. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer as it stands but the plastic quality in the aroma and taste is not something too desirable in my opinion.

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage.

A: Poured a deep ruby with a nice light ruby head that left a bit of lacing on its way down.

S: Quite a bit of lactic sourness, without much vinegar smells coming through like with Saint Lamnivus. Definitely quite a few blueberry notes marking their way in. A little bit of sweetness.

T: Quite a bit of acidity, but nothing too overwhelming like several other beers coming from Cantillon. The blueberry taste is simply astounding, blending beautifully with the sweet, tart sourness. The blueberry flavor is quite unique and pungent, tasting almost like crushed blueberries that had previously been frozen, as opposed to fresh blueberries.

M: Beautiful acidity balanced against a lovely fruit aroma--very well done.

D: Very, very nice. Wish this had been a 750 as opposed to a 375. Exceptionally thrilled that I got to try this one out.

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep murky blue-ish color lambic with a large enough foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of funky notes with well balance sourness and some light blueberry notes is quiet special and intriguing. Taste is a nice enough mix between some light sour blueberries with some well balanced barnyard notes with good sour notes. All elements are well balanced and provided great enjoyment. Body was quite full with limited filtration and good carbonation.

2007 vintage, 750ml bottle received in a trade from pepsican. Thanks!

Appearance: This one started to foam up as soon as the cork was removed. A gentle pour left me with a hazy blueish-purple liquid with a big pink-hued head. Lots of visible carbonation and great head retention, with chunks of blueberry skin visible in the foam.

Smell: The aroma is an unbelievable melange of sweet, ripe blueberries and Cantillon's signature farmhouse funk. The fruit's fresh, ripe smell has held up remarkably well here.

Taste & mouthfeel: Fruity up front, the unmistakable taste of blueberries shining through above even the puckering sourness. There's plenty of sourness here as well, though it's not as abrasive as some Cantillon beers. There's no sweetness, no malt to speak of; it's tart blueberries from start to finish. The bugs provide lots of depth to the flavor, but there's no distinct funkiness, as the fruit really does overpower almost everything else. The finish is dry but not overly sour or acidic, making this one of the easiest drinking lambics I've had.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of tasting several bottles ( 75cl & 37.5cl) of this fine fruit Lambik; vintage 2007 Batch 1 & 2. Pours a light to medium burgundy with slight white head! Has a pleasant tart funky barnyard aroma with a touch of blueberry maybe a little cranberry in the background. Gotta love this soft tart blueberry zest; just enough to cause the lips to smack with delight. Much less acidic and sour than some other Cantillon fruit Lambics though. The mouth feel was pleasant with some carbonation along with a perfect balance of Blueberry tartness/acidity. This is definitely one of the best fruit Lambics on the market today. Thanks Jeppe for supplying all those tasty blueberries to create such a great brew.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Thanks to Jeppe for sharing this at West Lakeview! A rare treat that I never thought i'd get to try.

Served in a stemmed wine glass. Deep and vibrant blueish purple color that is just magic. Frothy, creamy foam that sizzles with a lively crackle.

Strong aroma of wet hay, like morning dew on a hay bale. Wild barn stall notes with an underlying fruity scent of the Danish blueberries. Tartness is perceptible in the nose, but it's very mellow and integrated.

Luscious berry flavor, a very savory feel, with a moderate level of sour. Not too sharp or acidic, it's vinous and just about perfect. Nice level of carbonation that gives it lightness without any distraction. Just a fantastic complex lambic that really showcases the blueberries.

Don't care. This is going to be a touch one. As I said to Joey on the phone last night, "It has no flaws". I was thrilled beyond words to finally acquire this gem. I had been searching and searching for what seemed like forever before I could finally track one down. Alas, it has happened. Served at cellar temp and poured into a large snifter, 2009 vintage 375 ml bottle, this gem was consumed on 05/22/2009.

The pour was utterly mesmerizing. The rich, purple color was second to none. It looked like what they squeezed out of that girl on Willy Wonka. Just the darkest color I could have imagined with a nice head of purple and pink reach up over the top and cling to the sides of the glass forever. Lots of purple sludge coating the glass as the session ended up, this was too good to be true. As I reach in and take a deep breath, I fall back into my chair, suddenly oblivious to the world around me. I sink further in, falling down the rabbit hole of sweet, succulent blueberry. So rich, so well defined so complex, surreal. Layer upon layer of fruit just overwhelms the senses. I have had many a fruit Lambics and all seem to be intensely sour, or laden with oak, such that you never really get to experience the true complexity, the true flavor of the underlying fruit is lost. This however was the expression of everything I have wanted in a Lambics. Just so rich and smooth, I had everything I could do to not drink the whole glass in two gulps. It was like some sick and twisted dream I was in. So, several minutes later as I finishing mumbling to myself and my wife pummels me to shut up about this thing, I sit here and write this.

For those of you in doubt about whether this is worth seeking out I hope I can be of some assistance. You have to, you owe it to yourself. It was unlike anything else I have ever drank. This being the 3rd or 4tth batch of this beer, from what I have heard, the first was too sweet, the second too tart. I think the problem here may be age. This really needs to be consumed fresh. The flavor is soo ripe now, so mind blowing perfect it is hard to put into words. I have lost myself in the hobby again thanks to this bottle. Thank you Cantillon. Thank You.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Reviewed from notes (Mr. Bubbler's "End of the World Tasting") 12/21/12. Thanks.
300th review.

Vintage 2011. 750ml bottle.

A: Pours a deep reddish purple with a 1" light pink head which fizzles before fading to the rim leaving a few spots of lace.

N: Classic horseblanket funk, chessy, with mild blueberry jam, some vinous notes. Somewhat sour with wood tannins.

T: Fresh blueberry and white grape. Funky with woody mold and mildly sour. Well balanced.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Dry, musty/dusty and fruity finish.

O: Amazing and enjoyed. Maybe overhyped? Try it and decide for yourself. Would have again and again.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Enormous thanks go out to mikesgroove for sending me this bottle in a recent trade. Shared with a few friends at a tasting yesterday.

This review is of a Batch 4 bottle (2009)

A: The pour is a fantastic looking deep purple color with a fluffy pink head on top.

S: The nose is certainly very fruity, but I don't necessarily detect a lot of blueberries. There are some great cherry, raspberry, and a mixture of other tart berries. There is also a lot of lactic tartness, but not as much in the way of funk or wood as you usually expect from Cantillon.

T: Like the nose, the fruit is really the star of the show in this beer. A mix of indistinguishable tart berries really hits you up front. The oak comes through a bit more in the flavor, but is not overpowering. While I had been noting a lack of blueberry flavor, they really come out on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full with a nice tingly carbonation on the tongue.

D: This is one of the most fruit forward lambics/wild ales I've come across. I really enjoyed the balance of the fruit and the traditional funk and sourness.

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

I had a bottle at Mikkeller bar during the Beer Celebration weekend. Poured into a tulip glass. This bottle is from the new batch, it didn't even have a label on it.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy purple color with some red and pink where the light hits the glass. There is a finger of pink head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Distinct lambic tartness and funk. Mildly sweet with some aged hops in the background. The blueberries are there, but they show up under the tart notes.

Taste: Sweet and tart. Definitely getting some funk and citrus like acidity. Blueberry flavor shows up but the beer isn't sweet. The finish is sour with a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with foamy, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great fruit lambic, but I don't know that it's that much better than the Kriek or the Rose. I would have this again, but not at the current price.

Served in a Sweetwater mini-snifter.

Gotta say, I sure as hell didn't expect this guy to drop in my lap the way it did. My thanks go out to whomever it was that shared the bottle with me. It pours a clear deep indigo topped by a finger or so of light purple-ish foam. The nose comprises funky blueberries, light tobacco, and plenty of farmhouse-style funk. A hint of vinegar seeps in the back door. The taste brings in more of the same, with that vinegar coming in stronger, though not strongly enough to properly usurp. The tartness is a lot lower than I expected, though there's definitely some tannic qualities to be found. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a lightly sticky finish. Overall, while this was a generally enjoyable beer, it came nowhere near to living up to the hype surrounding it. I can't for the life of me fathom why so many would stop at so little to obtain what I thought to be something just pretty good. To each their own, I suppose...

3.96/5  rDev -12.4%

750 ml capped and corked bottle. 2011 Edition poured into several glasses. Huge thanks go to Stakem for generously sharing this rarity. This is bottle review # 1,000 for me.

Pours a beautiful cranberry rose color, with a ½ finger of rich pink (maybe even a bit purplish) head. This retains with a creamy and frothy look, soaping the sides of the glass with thick swathes of heavy lace. Awesome look to this! Fresh raspberries are right up front of the aroma with a tart blast of flavor. Funk and acidic tones shore up the middle of this, while I’m getting some doughy sugars sprinkled throughout as well. The fruity tartness of this picks up in the back of the nose, leaving a favorable final impression. This has a nice compact feel in the nostrils but seems like it could have been a little more robust smelling.

The taste is similar, with a bright and flavorful berry tartness that is emboldened by the acidity and funk. Some very light feeling sugars spread out and mostly hang with that berry flavor. Earth and woody notes are really sticking out to me in this. There is a real nice dry crispness here that gives this a lovely parching feel. Like most Cantillions, this is sour but the overall balance is so well done, that it comes off more as an intense yet refreshing tartness. Really nicely done. The mouthfeel is medium bodied; with a lively and effervescent feel that pops that fruitiness, while there is just of bit of a chewiness underneath which mostly holds that acidity and funky character. The feel here perfectly complements these flavors.

This was good. Not mind blowing but pretty darn good. While this was certainly well crafted, it just lacked that wow factor to it that would have really put this over the top for me. It seems that rarity of this elevates it a bit. Thanks for the opportunity at trying this though Adam. It was most appreciated.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I was waiting for some time for the chance to try this and was glad I got the opportunity. Enjoyed from the 750ml into a cantillon tulip.

A reddish purple hue with thick pink band after settling. The bead is of various sizes with lace that sticks pretty well. The clarity of this beer is on the translucent side. The smell is great, the funk is huge in this with big berry fruity aroma and mild phenolic accent which is slightly medicinal at first but seems to mellow allowing the dark berry odors to take over with a slight floral and woody note. There is a mild tart berry skin hint with a nice amount of oak and light herbal tinges. The feel has a tannic and juicy astringent acidity up front which makes way for some slight sweet fruit flesh tinges and the sour yeast which has a clean lactic sour quality and still adds a mild spice effect with the moderately high carbonation.

A blueberry taste is apparent with big fruity tart taste and bit phenolic flavor that carries over where the aroma leaves off. There is a lactic type of flavor with mild acidic puckering quality. The taste has a gentle woody tinge with mild bitter aspect in the background. The taste has more of an earthy accent as it warms with the funk flavor coming out to meet the fruit and sour taste with the tart pie-like berry blueberry tart tatste. Overall I was overjoyed with the experience. I find this to be a great fruit beer with a nice sourness from the wild yeast without becoming too overwhelming...the perfect blend practically of berry and wild yeast. I really enjoyed this and there is very little to find fault with -Kudos Cantillon!

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

A (4.50)

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Review #800!

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to ygtbsm94; huge thanks to Brad for sharing this very sought after beer! Bottle is from Batch 3, 2007 Vintage.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with two inches of fluffy white head that has excellent rentention and leaves a little bit of lacing and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart blueberry, sour fruits, brett, and oak. The blueberries aren't overpowering, which makes it wonderful to smell and enjoy.

t - Tastes of blueberry, sour fruit, yeast, and brett. Hints of oak as well, but not as much as the smell. The tart blueberries come through a little more in the taste than the smell, but again, pretty amazing.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and crazy drinkable. A little bit tart but not too lip puckering, which allows it be be drank easily. Perfect mouthfeel.

d - Wow, what an amazing beer. At 5% ABV, I feel like I could drink a whole bottle of this and still want more. I'm not just marking this up due to rarity; this is one of the best beers I've ever had and if you like blueberries as I do, you'll love this one. We tried various sours at the tasting, including LeBleu and Crianza Helena and I enjoyed this one more than both of them; I came home the next day and immediately tried to trade for a bottle. Would love to have again sometime and truely worth the hype.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review from notes. Much thanks to Paul for sharing this with me!

A: Pours a nice light purple color with a thin white head on top, mostly forming a ring. Thin lacing with nice retention.

S: Fantastic fruity aroma. Lots of blueberries with a bit of sour/funk typical of Cantillon offerings. There is a bit of cheese that comes out as it warms.

T: Jammy blueberries with a slight tartness. Nice funk/cheese on the flavor as well, which blends nicely with the fruit for a fantastic flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly tart, slightly dry.

O: An amazing beer. Going in I had high hopes, which were tempered from others who have had the beer previously. I will agree that it is amazing, but I would rather drink other Cantillon beers which take less effort/cost to get.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Review #700

2009 Vintage (don't know the batch#) thanks to Mikesgroove for this one.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn't even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn't know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won't have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

EDIT: After trying a fresh 2010 batch shared generously by kbutler1, I have come to realize why everyone loves this beer so much. Fresh blueberries dominate the nose and the taste on this batch. It has the perfect amount of sour and funk blend. It is very drinkable. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh! The blueberries show much more and makes it a real treat.

3.84/5  rDev -15%

Let me precurse this review by saying how excited and full of anticipation I was to finally have a chance to try this brew...

750ml bottle, '11 inscribed on the bottom of the label with silver marker. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a deep purple color. A pink frothy head sits atop the brew and gets revived to a full finger's strength when lightly swirled. When held to the light, ruby coloration shows through the body and despite a careful pour, some tiny spots of what looks like blueberry skin rests on the bottom of the glass.

The smell of this brew is primarily funky with notes of plastic while it is chilled. Some indications of cheese and earthy fruit start to evolve as the brew warms up. It also has a mild almost medicinal touch about it. When the glass is swirled, only then do berry tinges come out and blend through the aroma. Once warm, this brew picks up a sort of damp woodsy character from the barrel aging. While not the most fragrant, bright or upfront fruit scent to a beer, it is well rounded and enjoyable.

The taste is funky primarily with plastic notes upfront. I won't sugar-coat my first impression; it is slightly disappointing considering the unrealistic aura surrounding this brew. As it warms up, it turns earthy and pitted with a light medicinal touch. The berry inclusion here gets increasingly earthy with a wet and almost moldy wood feel to it. There is a spice of alcohol that comes out across the back as the brew warms up. It is tart and rich in berry flavor once warm which is pleasant considering the initial let down.

This is a light bodied brew with a perfect amount of modest carbonation. It is lively enough in the mouth but not overdone and distracting. There is a solid mix of flavor/character to take in with lots of earthy tones. However, the initial impact of plastic and light nail polish remover was quite unwelcomed and didn't blend well with the rest of the brew. This offering was somewhat dry on the tongue which increased its overall salivation factor and ease of drink ability. It carries with it almost a cooling aspect about it in the back of the throat.

After the fact consideration: While glancing over other reviews, I don't see mention of some of the unpleasant character I picked up on in this. It makes me wonder just how variable some bottles can be. This is something I wouldn't mind trying again but it most certainly is not worth the price of admission. It is not the best fruit lambic I have had, it's not even the best Cantillon offering available. The sheer amount of blueberries that had to be packed in this to discolor the brew to the deep purple it is, is amazing. Unfortunately, that excitement/impression doesn't easily transpire to the same degree in either the flavor or aroma.

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

Happy New Year's Eve. This is how I'm starting off my night. 2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware.

It poured a deep purple color with the head and bubbles showing a pink or very light purple hue to them. The head retreated to the edges where it remained for a good while. Loved the colors it had to it.

The aroma has a very nice sourness to it without being overly acidic. Some of the berries show through nicely as well. It has a bit of a funky, basement like quality to it that adds to the tart sourness of the fruit. Complex and appealing aroma overall.

The taste starts out with a moderate acidic tartness. The blueberries start to come through next with a tart and sour flavor to them. It has a kind of a musty flavor throughout it as well. In the finish the blueberries come back and linger with some nice sourness to them. Excellent flavor and nice complexity to it.

The mouthfeel is medium to maybe a little heavy for the style. Carbonation is moderately sharp, but maybe a bit below average for the style. The mouthfeel worked very well for the beer overall.

The drinkability is excellent, it had some great flavors and complexity to it and was a great way to start the evening. It paired very nicely with a few good cheeses we had as well. Excellent beer overall and definitely one of the best if not the best fruit based sour beers I've had.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler glass at Øltibukken store in Copenhagen Denmark. Vintage 2014, 375ml bottle.

Big deep ruby red color like a gem. An absolute crystal clear gem, no hints of darker or lighter hues of different colors. Shines crystal clear. A faint pink head dissolves with a little bit of suds, but even manages some carbonation while in a simple conical tumbler. One of the most impressive colors on any beer I have ever seen. Doesn't get any better for a lambic.

Fascinating aroma. Bouquet fills with earth funky notes, slightly ashy but even more so with hints of garden mushroom and fresh tilled soil. Fruit angle is all over and surprisingly varied. Blueberries of course but also sour cherry, raspberry, even peach like fuzz which works out amazingly.

THe first sip is exquisite. While the fruit comes nicely with funky aromas, there is a great melding sweetness of balsamic vinegar to match. It's as if it is drizzled all over a salad bowl filled with fruits of cherry, blueberry and so forth. Great funk acid tones on this, with much of the earthy bouquet matching nicely.

Everything is incredibly balanced with wild yeast taking the first notes, and fruit following with sweet acidic tones. Not quite Rodenbach sweetness but unique all it's own. Extremely complex and balanced. The feel even for a lambic, does come off a little less impressive. Depth in malt even comes across light, but the flavors easily push through. Fun carbonation. Hinting at light seltzery qualities but never getting there from a large palate that is complex

What more needs to be said? A great lambic, probably the best blueberry beer of any style by far I have ever had. Not my favorite Cantillon, but does this get any better? No, unequivocally not even close.

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon