Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,365
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
Ratings: 623 | Reviews: 225
4.15/5  rDev -8.4%

2011 750ml. A crazy purple maroon color. Head is small but still purple in color. The aroma is strong. Earthy, vegetal and only a hint of fruit. Lots of twigs. Flavor is a little faded. Lemon, raspberry, and blueberry. Very nice but nothing spectacular. Tart and acidic. Mouth is very drying. Very full body/carb. Overall a pleasant beer but not worth the hype.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Had at the epic bottle share to kick off sdbw!

2011 vintage bottle shared by cbanker. Thanks chris!

A- beautiful purple body with a little bit of head that quickly disapates

S- grapes. Sweet grapes. Man oh man

T- can really taste the rare here. Also follows the nose. Great grape taste that doesn't last nearly as long as it needs too

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Great Fucking beer.

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Another whale opened for our sour tasting. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Deep, watermelon red color. The pour produced a pinkish head that faded to a thin rim.

A: Strong berries up front. I get notes of raspberries, strawberries, and yes the blueberries. I also get herbal notes, and notes of citrus spice.

T: Amazing how the blueberries come through. I have had a lot of blueberry beers, but the berries are more prevalent in this than any other. Good amount of bitter sourness and nicely sweet.

M: Medium body. High carbonation and tingely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty high. The sweet tartness will limit it some, but we're really just splitting hairs. Overall this is one fantastic beer, and one of the highlights of the night. Big thanks to Dave for sharing. Skal.

3.62/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Mr. Chris Johnson for this..
Light port like matron color with little bubbly whiteish head and no retention.

Tart berries on the nose. Straightforward.

Flavor follows the nose. Tart blueberry. A touch of sweetness on the backend.

Mouth is light bodied with medium carb.

A good not great representation of the style in my opinion.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

2.37/5  rDev -47.7%

2012 vintage, 375ml
It's a nice purplish red color with a ring of pink foam. Smells of vinegar and blue cheese. Tastes of vinegar and a touch of fruity sweetness. It's quite dry and acidic. This is not good. I hope other vintages are good, otherwise this beer is seriously mediocre and y'all are deceiving thyselves

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer has been brought to tastings a couple different times by the most ridiculously generous beer dude there is, ygtbsm94. Thanks so much!

This is certainly an experience that hopefully all beer lovers will be able to enjoy at least once. Goddamn is this a wild looking beer. Poured into a Darkness snifter, this guy looks like a funky carbonated blueberry juice. Really pretty.

Smells of blueberry and funk with that Cantillon aromatic quality that is unique to them. Sours were never really my thing, but between Cantillon and Russian River I have really begun to love them.

Taste is again blueberry funk. Fruit there with great flavor, but a softness at the same time. A little sour and tart, but not as much as I expected.

Smooth body with great carbonation and something I need to find a way to trade for. Thanks again Brad, I owe you!

3.73/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2013 bottle

A - Ruby red body with a light clean white head to it

S - Blueberries, sweet tarts, blue cheese and barnyard funk

T - Really funky with lots of blue cheese and barnyard, not tart as all but instead is all funk. Light tart blue berries but barely blueberries or tartness to it. It was a pure funk bomb

M - Really dry and slightly watery body. A slight thickness from the funk remains on the tongue kinda like the creamy layer that remains after you eat some blue cheese

O - Not that impressed and thought this was really overrated as this was one of my least favorite Cantillon to date. Really a funky beer but not much tartness or fruit flavor to it

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Huge thanks to my buddy Joey for sharing this one! Had this one at La Bella on 5-16-09 along with Tony, Danny, Jeff, and a few others. Hope you enjoyed this one Tony!

I was planning on drinking this for my 500th review but it crossed my path a little sooner, or I just didn't drink/review fast enough. The first time I had this beer was at the RateBeer Summer Gathering 2008, the Grand Tasting at Pizza Port Carlsbad. I only had about a 1oz sample and that was enough to make an impression on me and I've been hunting this one since then...fortunately a very generous trader worked out a trade with me and I was able to get a bottle (thanks jasonm, I will be enjoying that bottle soon).

The first time I tried this last summer (only a 1oz pour though) I thought the sourness and fruit were more balanced, maybe because it was fresher? Here goes...

From a 750ml bottle, 2007 vintage (batch II).

Poured a garnet and violet color, a little haziness, and an attractive pinkish quarter inch of foam.

Funky and tart blueberries assault the nostrils, lots of acidity, and lemon tartness. A bit of tea-like herbalness, lots of wet leather aromas, and musty as it warmed up. This beer was a battle of funk and fruit, both were very intense...the blueberries really make this beer outstanding.

Just like in the aroma, brett funk, hay, sour blueberries, very acidic going down, leather, and acidic lemon. It was almost like biting into a really sour lemon peel. The beer gets dryer with every sip. Again, the fruit flavor is just outstanding and doesn't overpower the beer. At some points it seems like there is some sweetness at the beginning but then the sourness and dryness wrecks the palate. Medium-high carbonation and a bit prickly on the tongue at first.

One of the best sours and truly one of the great Cantillon beers out there. Can't wait to have this again.

4.59/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 750ml into an Iris balloon glass.

The thing that I would like to add the most is that I don't use a lambic basket, sorry. But the last glass of this was up there with Hommage for the dregs making it the best two glasses of beer that I have ever had.

The blueberries were noticeable; not really a lot of funk, more acidic but with blueberries in the middle. Not dank by any means, but no blueberry beer has achieved that.

This was great, I really enjoyed it; and it is a treat to try.

2010 375ml poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Bottle opener tore the top part of the bottle off. Salvaged the whole bottle, thank God.

Appearance: Bizzare. Blue/purple hue lambic??? This is something unknown to me. Really excited to see what comes.

Smell: Light blueberry acid, barnyard Cantillon funk. Great smell; obviously something I have never experienced... and I can't put it in words.

Taste: Again, can't put it in words. You expect blueberry lambic; but when it hits you it reads as totally something different but within the blueberry lambic world. I can see why this is so sought after.

Mouthfeel: Jungle of fun with this. Your mouth-to-brain is all over the map with how weird and delightful this is. Incredible.

Overall: Not the best beer that I have had; but the most beautifully weird beer that I have ever had. I understand the hype.

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version

4.38/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dang!

Review # 444. Huge thanks to Steasy66 for sharing this beer. I am glad that I know the right people!

Deep pink-purple hued with a light purple head. Good head and good retention. Very clean aroma with no vinegar whatsoever, an instant hit in my book. Somewhat sweet with tart and bright berry notes and only mild hints of funk.

Taste is a clean, lactic and mild sour with strong berry notes. Very very blueberry. I was pleasantly surprised that my "robust" palate could detect the blueberries, they must have used a lot!

Medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish. Very very good.

4.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

4.26/5  rDev -6%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

4.27/5  rDev -5.7%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

4.06/5  rDev -10.4%

2009 bottle. Pours a deep, opaque blood red with a really pretty cotton candy, rosy head that settled into a soapy haze. So pretty. Tart and acidic on the nose. Has a soft element that I really liken to 3 Fonteinen Hommage at about 1 year. Soft blueberries and raspberries. Pretty meaty. Soft and quite well integrated in the mouth. Deep blueberry skins and stems abound. A little foresty, pretty wild, quite rich. Brett isn't huge though it's quite sour and funky. Oak and soft acids are in the forefront along with the sour wild blueberries. Really enjoyable.

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

375ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2012 Vintage.

I never thought I would actually get to try the elusive Blåbær, so a big thanks to JAXSON for hooking me up with the bottle.

Appearance: Blåbær pours a beautiful deep red/pink, with a back light even revealing some hints of purple. A rough pour yields a large pink tinted head that lasts quite well for a sour, but doesn't leave any lacing.

Smell: After my initial sniff (which was almost all funk), I was a little worried that the blueberry character was going to be obscured behind Cantillon's signature funk, but thankfully as the nose began to open up, it struck a perfect balance between juicy blueberries and funk. Notes include: Fresh juicy blueberries, berry skins, a very faint berry jam note, a vinous character, some acidic lemon notes, old wood, sweaty socks, some old cheese, musty basement and a touch of leather.

Taste: The flavour doesn't offer quite as much berry character as the nose, but the funk that replaces it is top notch. Notes include: Tart berries (a faint hint of sweetness), berry skins, a vinous note, tart lemon, some green apple peel, musty basement, old wood, sweaty socks, old hay and a hint of cheese. Interestingly there is a big blast of blueberry flavour on the burp.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with the faintest hint of stickiness (I love the effect the addition of fruit makes to the body of a lambic) and a medium-high level of carbonation. The beer is quite tart (not as tart as one would expect from Cantillon though) and very dry.

Overall: Blåbær is a fantastic fruit lambic, however I am not sure it is any better than Rose de Gambrinus and probably rides on its rarity to some extent. Still if I lived in Denmark, I would certainly get my limit of bottles every year!

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

375ml bottle - Batch # 4. 2009 bottle shared with pwoods and some close friends... Thanks to Todeon from RB for the trade! This one just flew in from Sweden this morning and I must try it!

Pours a bright, almost purple to blood red with cloudiness and some larger sized yeast chunkies that were resting on the bottom. There's an aggressive, highly foamy rich, medium pink head above.

I get straight up funk on this one with no hints of blueberries. The funk is great.... Nasty and sour yet very inviting. The smell is rigid - strong and plentiful. Big ol' nose.

Taste is much like the nose. Lots of funk with high carbonation. Medium bodied over. At first, I was a bit upset because I didn't get the blueberry aroma I was expecting, but after swallowing and allowing the flavor to waft to my nose, I got the berry essence. The long lasting flavor that retained in my mouth is sour with fresh berries....

This beer is VERY easy to drink and enjoyable. There's big flavor, lots of sour all trailed by a nice berry flavor. Wow...

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

I finally got a chance to try this beer, thanks Jeppe! The beer poured a hazy, deep amber almost crimson body, dense. Vigorour head formed, vibrant pint color that receeded quickly and left a full ring on the edge. The nose was very tart, earthy and a bit of exotic fruit. The taste...tart, tart, tart! Don't get me wrong, the taste is excellent. The blueberry notes are strong, fresh and wonderful. There is also some citrus and pepper on the tongue. If you take a look at the label, the face tells you the story of this beer. Tart yet wonderful. Well worth the effort to get it.

2.5/5  rDev -44.8%

2013 vintage from a 375ml bottle.

3.78/5  rDev -16.6%

Separate '05 & '07 bottles shared under the admissions tent lights at BCTC late on Saturday. Too many spitters & not enough swallowers, as there was still some left once they were passed around & most of us turned in. In comes the late-night lush that is moi to make sure nothing goes to waste. :)

Double-fisting & always prepared, one comes out a rusty, yellow brown & not very pretty. The second, prettier. A cherry stained purple, with a dusty blue head.

A sour lemon yogurt-sort of smell carries off the top of the older bottle, while the newer brings just mainly boxed, dusty blueberries.

Taste was big in both directions. Not a real fan of exhibit A, as it was too much cheese & vinegar, & too little fruit. Fruit pits if you want to be picky, minerally, with a regurgitated stomach acid/gueuze sort of burn. Not exactly knocking it, just a little disappointed. It was a decently pungent Cantillon, but that's not exactly what I came for. The 07 was quite tasty though, though probably less complex. Super earthy & upfront blueberries, strong wheaty presence, barrel, & just a bit cidery on the end. Neither quite tannic, but the big fruit in the fresher bottle sold me.

Both times, a little too frothy. B was thicker, more rustic then A. A puckered me up plenty, B while slighter, still had me clenching some.

Sad to say that, however uneven, this score is a blend.

Quite a pleasure to have been its receptacle. :P

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Many thanks to Wespatrick.

A red-velvet cake, they're her favorite you know, and a lovely day for a celebration, all velvety and purplish... Only a couple soap-bubbles there, a still, beautiful maroon but blueish, like that dress at our first wedding, but no not that blueish, more of an old worn-out sweater that's so comfortable and makes me want to hold her close.
There are my old friends, the bugs, the lacto and pedio and sacchar... and my buddy Brett, of course. but they all pale in comparison. She is beautiful. There is a blueberry aroma, a true... like the purple ice cream you used to love, luscious. Creamy vanilla in there too, all of this overwhelmed by the sour, mind you. And a kiss that takes my breath away.
The flavour, a deep, heavy sour, so sour, so puckering... does anyone know before this what fermented blueberries really taste like? This is peculiar.... and exceptional.
My wits come back to me and I stare into her eyes... where did you come by this, my love? I simply have to wonder at the depth of your eyes, their fire, their beauty. And blueberries... it's going to stain my mouth, I'll be purple, everyone will know... but no matter. my heart is yours. So sour it's surprising, with a deep flavour of blue, the colour of blue, the essence.
A surprisingly full body, and of course oh-so-attractive in shape (you are beautiful my love!) and dry. Super-dry in the finish, and a light sweetness in the background that is completely overcome by the massive cocktail of sour.
I simply can't have you all the time, but you are lovely, and one day... It is wonderful. It truly deserves every bit of its reputation. And I am the luckiest man in the world.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Big thanks go to Rastacouere for sending over a bottle of this when he was in Danemark. 2006 vintage, bottled in 2007.

Appearance: Gorgeous light purple, almost rosée colored brew topped by a pinkish head that was pretty generous for Lambic, let alone a Cantillon.

Smell: That telltale barnyard funky aroma was all wet hay and dirty stables, with a very assertive fruit character that oscillated between raspberries, rhubarb and strawberries.

Taste: Carbonation was not as prickly as other fruit lambic I've tried, and the fruit is definately in the forefront here, and it's all blueberry, but the kind that just a bit unripe, when they're sort of greenish blue. I can't tell you if they were like that when they brewed this, but it certainly worked out extremely well. The acidity seemed somehow separated from the flavor, as if every sip came with two acts, the flavorful rush of fruit flavor, then acidity, that was drying and refreshing - sounds contradictory, but it isn't - but was at a very sustained level, not as massive and brutal as some of the other fruit lambics. It was probably one of the most balanced lambics I've ever sampled. Lord knows people have tried and failed to make good blueberry Beers, but this style seems like a perfect fit. It went down insanely well, and was an absolute orgasmic match with trappist-made chocolate-dipped blueberries I just happened to have (it's the season here in Quebec). This one is a masterpiece.

4.14/5  rDev -8.6%

Huge thanks to danieelol for sharing. 375mL bottle split 4 ways. Reviewed from notes.

Gorgeous crimson with a surprisingly resilient small white head which picks up some of the colouring from the beer. Abates to a collar. Looks lovely.

Nose shows delightfully honed acidity. Surprisingly modest blueberry but beautiful integration. Lightly musty, musky and tannic.

The base Cantillon gueuze is quite conspicuous. Blueberry is again mellow but seamlessly integrated. Base gueuze notes of jalapeno and lemon are well represented.

Assertive sourness but definitely much reduced compared with most other Loons. Mild tannins. Satisfying and great drinkability.

Only had about 3 oz which probably biases my rating downwards, as this seemed uncharacteristically subtle and restrained (for Cantillon), the sort of beer that takes a bit more volume to deconstruct.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Another great beer sent to me by Anders. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

Batch 2009 - II

A- Pours a hazy, dull cranberry / maroon color. Produced two fingers width of off-white head with a pinkish hue. Reduced to a thick ring. Good lacing.

S- Instantly, blueberries just explode into the nostrils...almost have a vinous nature to them. Lots of barnyard funk underneath it all. Really digging this.

T- Much like the aroma. Heavy blueberry flavors upfront with a unique, vinous nature beneath. Almost one dimensional, but balanced out with a building sourness and some funk in the finish.

M- Light bodied with great carbonation. Really easy on the palate.

D- As for as fruit lambics go, this is pretty drinkable. Good overall balance between the blueberries and the acidity.

Overall, one of the better fruited lambics by Cantillon. Recommended if you're a fan of blueberries.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon