Microbrew Invitational

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 236 | Ratings: 714
4.55/5  rDev +0.7%

Huge thanks to bachbum1975 for cracking this crazy rare beer. Thanks, Shane!

375ml corked and capped green bottle, into a kbs tulip. '09 batch 4.

A: Pours a very deep, brillant ruby. Decent sized champagne like head that holds nicely, cottoncandy pink. Lays to a fine but thick head. Some lacing.

S: Great fruity aroma and lots of Cantillon funk. Smells closer to raspberry than blueberry. Great funk, loads of complexity.

T/M: Amazing funk, not abrassive but tasty and complex. Great sour and tart fruits but still controlled. Distinct blueberry doesn't come out until the swallow and aftertaste. The funk is big and cheesy with all the nice horsey, barnyard, musky flavors. Body is about medium and carbonation is nicely elevated. Finishes with that great dryness.

D: very crushable. 5% and extremely refreshing.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

4.08/5  rDev -9.7%

375 mL bottle of the 2012 vintage. Served in a wine glass at Torst.

Blabaer pours a surprisingly dark cherry red, I was expecting it to be a bit lighter. Minimal pink foam tops the beer, and does manage to stick around for a while. The nose is a good blend of an earthy, slightly musty funk, and a slightly tart berry fruitiness. Flavor wise, the beer's not quite as balanced. The brett character isn't as potent, relegated to a bit of damp hay lurking in the background. The blueberry influence is a bit muted as well, just a faint berry flavor is appreciable. In fairness though, blueberry is a pretty subtle fruit in general when it goes into a beer. The acidity is what really stands out, flashy and striking while not being overpoweringly sour. I want to guess that Cantillon uses an older batch of lambic as the base here. The body is nice and light, but I find myself wishing the carbonation had just a little more zip to it. Blabaer is a great beer, and I'm glad I got the chance to try it, but give how much more of a challenge it is to get than some other 'loons, I don't think that I would recommend this one over the others.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle thanks to callmemickey. I believe this is batch 4 or 5.

Pours solid purple with beautiful pink bubbly head that lingers for minutes. Aroma is easily dominated by blueberry, but has some great lemon and orange along with earthy funk/horse blanket. Taste is mild honey sweetness then great tartness. A little vanilla on the finish but then a lingering blackberry taste on the tongue. Great tartness, well balanced and good carbonation. Another incredible lambic from Cantillon.

4.06/5  rDev -10.2%

2009 release, not sure if it is Batch 4 or 5

Pours an absolutely ridiculous color...beautiful deep red/purple with a half finger of pink head. Possibly the most unique looking beer I've ever seen.

Smell is tart berries up front. I personally wouldn't be able to identify it as blueberry if I didn't already know. Some cobwebs creep in reminding you that this is a Cantillon beer sitting there. The fruitiness continues to build as it warms.

The taste is surprisingly subdued in the tart/funk departments. Blueberries and wild cherries are the dominant flavor. Oak is definitely noticeable. A very balanced lambic from a brewery who is usually quite brash. Tasty for sure though.

Mouthfeel is medium to full with a tiny bit of carbonation sting and a very dry finish. This beer is definitely very good, but I would be curious to see how other batches compare. This one was tasty, but not a standout.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Batch 1 received from gregc.

I was incredibly worried initially. The cap was wet with purple liquid and the cork started pushing itself out. I almost crapped my pants. Everything was all good though as he first sniff indicated.

A: Dark red very opaque. Tons of visible carbonation with chuncks if yeast and blueberries at the bottom. Dark pink head.

S: 50% sour funk, 50% vinegar, 50% blueberry. That's How intense it is. I must drink it now

T: Absolutely perfect. Rarely do I meet a beer as sour as I desire. This makes the cut. Amazing tartness up front that is exactly where I need it which fades into great blueberry. Truly an amazing beer.

M: Dead on for a wild ale. Nice and thin but with some body from the funk.

D: I hate to rate hyped beers high but this beer demands it. I've never been disappointed by Cantillon but this exceeds even their high standards. Truly a world class beer if I've ever tasted one.

4.53/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012. Thanks to Owen for facilitating this acquisition.

Pours a beautiful raspberry colour with nice white head. Glorious red as though it was made with raspberries. Nose is lactic funk, wine, blueberries, creaminess, some subdued perfume, little burnt rubber.

Taste is grapes, red wine, creamy, dried oak, almost oyster-esque decadent sourness and drying finish.

Mouthfeel is drying, oaky and champagne-y. Similar finish to most Cantillons.

This is not a let down and totally worth it. Perhaps rating a bit according to the occasion but still deserving of praise.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

2011 750ml. A crazy purple maroon color. Head is small but still purple in color. The aroma is strong. Earthy, vegetal and only a hint of fruit. Lots of twigs. Flavor is a little faded. Lemon, raspberry, and blueberry. Very nice but nothing spectacular. Tart and acidic. Mouth is very drying. Very full body/carb. Overall a pleasant beer but not worth the hype.

4.35/5  rDev -3.8%

Another whale opened for our sour tasting. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Deep, watermelon red color. The pour produced a pinkish head that faded to a thin rim.

A: Strong berries up front. I get notes of raspberries, strawberries, and yes the blueberries. I also get herbal notes, and notes of citrus spice.

T: Amazing how the blueberries come through. I have had a lot of blueberry beers, but the berries are more prevalent in this than any other. Good amount of bitter sourness and nicely sweet.

M: Medium body. High carbonation and tingely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty high. The sweet tartness will limit it some, but we're really just splitting hairs. Overall this is one fantastic beer, and one of the highlights of the night. Big thanks to Dave for sharing. Skal.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Had at the epic bottle share to kick off sdbw!

2011 vintage bottle shared by cbanker. Thanks chris!

A- beautiful purple body with a little bit of head that quickly disapates

S- grapes. Sweet grapes. Man oh man

T- can really taste the rare here. Also follows the nose. Great grape taste that doesn't last nearly as long as it needs too

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Great Fucking beer.

3.62/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Mr. Chris Johnson for this..
Light port like matron color with little bubbly whiteish head and no retention.

Tart berries on the nose. Straightforward.

Flavor follows the nose. Tart blueberry. A touch of sweetness on the backend.

Mouth is light bodied with medium carb.

A good not great representation of the style in my opinion.

4.13/5  rDev -8.6%

Blabaer '15 vintage

Pours a dark purple, ember red color, with a dark pink, small head. The head collapses immediately to a glass coating sheet of lacing, revealing tiny bubbles at its edge.

The nose reveals a great blend of funky barnyard, dusty malts and unripe blueberry skin. Once the aromas open up, a ripe fruit tone becomes present, together with a mineralic quality, reminding of an actual fruit juice. Its tartness is present enough though, to prevent the beer from becoming jam sweet, also due to a light note of wood bark, wet spruces and leather.

Has a wonderful soft mouthfeel, while the beer reveals a lively, mineral accentuated carbonation, adding an utmost pleasant softness to its profound tartness.

Blueberries become visible in a prickly, unripe way and turn sweeter, once earthy malts wrap up the beers tart qualities. Berries don't get overly prominent on their own, but provide a great balance together with the present, pleasantly dry funkiness, ending with a ripe, wood accompanied, mellow sweetness. Its finish exhibits a great range of intense flavors working together with the fruits, consisting of lemon zest, a mineralic softness and a note of old, soft cheese, highlighted by the fantastic mouthfeel.

A great beer with an authentic, well integrated fruit character, which goes hand in hand with the typical Cantillon lambic sourness. Still, the most outstanding aspect of this beer is its phenomenal soft mouthfeel.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

2.37/5  rDev -47.6%

2012 vintage, 375ml
It's a nice purplish red color with a ring of pink foam. Smells of vinegar and blue cheese. Tastes of vinegar and a touch of fruity sweetness. It's quite dry and acidic. This is not good. I hope other vintages are good, otherwise this beer is seriously mediocre and y'all are deceiving thyselves

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

This beer has been brought to tastings a couple different times by the most ridiculously generous beer dude there is, ygtbsm94. Thanks so much!

This is certainly an experience that hopefully all beer lovers will be able to enjoy at least once. Goddamn is this a wild looking beer. Poured into a Darkness snifter, this guy looks like a funky carbonated blueberry juice. Really pretty.

Smells of blueberry and funk with that Cantillon aromatic quality that is unique to them. Sours were never really my thing, but between Cantillon and Russian River I have really begun to love them.

Taste is again blueberry funk. Fruit there with great flavor, but a softness at the same time. A little sour and tart, but not as much as I expected.

Smooth body with great carbonation and something I need to find a way to trade for. Thanks again Brad, I owe you!

3.73/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2013 bottle

A - Ruby red body with a light clean white head to it

S - Blueberries, sweet tarts, blue cheese and barnyard funk

T - Really funky with lots of blue cheese and barnyard, not tart as all but instead is all funk. Light tart blue berries but barely blueberries or tartness to it. It was a pure funk bomb

M - Really dry and slightly watery body. A slight thickness from the funk remains on the tongue kinda like the creamy layer that remains after you eat some blue cheese

O - Not that impressed and thought this was really overrated as this was one of my least favorite Cantillon to date. Really a funky beer but not much tartness or fruit flavor to it

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Huge thanks to my buddy Joey for sharing this one! Had this one at La Bella on 5-16-09 along with Tony, Danny, Jeff, and a few others. Hope you enjoyed this one Tony!

I was planning on drinking this for my 500th review but it crossed my path a little sooner, or I just didn't drink/review fast enough. The first time I had this beer was at the RateBeer Summer Gathering 2008, the Grand Tasting at Pizza Port Carlsbad. I only had about a 1oz sample and that was enough to make an impression on me and I've been hunting this one since then...fortunately a very generous trader worked out a trade with me and I was able to get a bottle (thanks jasonm, I will be enjoying that bottle soon).

The first time I tried this last summer (only a 1oz pour though) I thought the sourness and fruit were more balanced, maybe because it was fresher? Here goes...

From a 750ml bottle, 2007 vintage (batch II).

Poured a garnet and violet color, a little haziness, and an attractive pinkish quarter inch of foam.

Funky and tart blueberries assault the nostrils, lots of acidity, and lemon tartness. A bit of tea-like herbalness, lots of wet leather aromas, and musty as it warmed up. This beer was a battle of funk and fruit, both were very intense...the blueberries really make this beer outstanding.

Just like in the aroma, brett funk, hay, sour blueberries, very acidic going down, leather, and acidic lemon. It was almost like biting into a really sour lemon peel. The beer gets dryer with every sip. Again, the fruit flavor is just outstanding and doesn't overpower the beer. At some points it seems like there is some sweetness at the beginning but then the sourness and dryness wrecks the palate. Medium-high carbonation and a bit prickly on the tongue at first.

One of the best sours and truly one of the great Cantillon beers out there. Can't wait to have this again.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very lucky to be able check this one off the list finally! As soon as I popped the cork the blueberry aroma hits you....tons of blueberry on the palate as well! Glorious Cantillon offering but I think it is on the same level as Fou and LPF.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 750ml into an Iris balloon glass.

The thing that I would like to add the most is that I don't use a lambic basket, sorry. But the last glass of this was up there with Hommage for the dregs making it the best two glasses of beer that I have ever had.

The blueberries were noticeable; not really a lot of funk, more acidic but with blueberries in the middle. Not dank by any means, but no blueberry beer has achieved that.

This was great, I really enjoyed it; and it is a treat to try.

2010 375ml poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Bottle opener tore the top part of the bottle off. Salvaged the whole bottle, thank God.

Appearance: Bizzare. Blue/purple hue lambic??? This is something unknown to me. Really excited to see what comes.

Smell: Light blueberry acid, barnyard Cantillon funk. Great smell; obviously something I have never experienced... and I can't put it in words.

Taste: Again, can't put it in words. You expect blueberry lambic; but when it hits you it reads as totally something different but within the blueberry lambic world. I can see why this is so sought after.

Mouthfeel: Jungle of fun with this. Your mouth-to-brain is all over the map with how weird and delightful this is. Incredible.

Overall: Not the best beer that I have had; but the most beautifully weird beer that I have ever had. I understand the hype.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Dang!

Review # 444. Huge thanks to Steasy66 for sharing this beer. I am glad that I know the right people!

Deep pink-purple hued with a light purple head. Good head and good retention. Very clean aroma with no vinegar whatsoever, an instant hit in my book. Somewhat sweet with tart and bright berry notes and only mild hints of funk.

Taste is a clean, lactic and mild sour with strong berry notes. Very very blueberry. I was pleasantly surprised that my "robust" palate could detect the blueberries, they must have used a lot!

Medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish. Very very good.

4.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

4.27/5  rDev -5.5%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

4.06/5  rDev -10.2%

2009 bottle. Pours a deep, opaque blood red with a really pretty cotton candy, rosy head that settled into a soapy haze. So pretty. Tart and acidic on the nose. Has a soft element that I really liken to 3 Fonteinen Hommage at about 1 year. Soft blueberries and raspberries. Pretty meaty. Soft and quite well integrated in the mouth. Deep blueberry skins and stems abound. A little foresty, pretty wild, quite rich. Brett isn't huge though it's quite sour and funky. Oak and soft acids are in the forefront along with the sour wild blueberries. Really enjoyable.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon