Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,397
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.47/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally! I couldn't wait any longer after getting this in a trade.
Batch 2 - 2007 - 375ml

A - Wow, I've never seen a beer this color... As I pour this deep purple lambic almost 2 fingers of pink stained tan head rises and settles after a few seconds.

S - The second I started pouring this I could smell the blueberries. When you're nose deep in the glass there is a strong acidity and a nice healthy funk, lovely barnyard and cheese.

T - Frickin' awesome. Not the sourest Cantillon I've had, but definitely packs a punch. It blend very well with the funk going on as well. The blueberries are also the most present out of Cantillon fruit lambic that I've had. It might just be in my head but I swear the blueberries also add to the sourness, as if they were picked early.

M/D - This one was carbonated pretty well and probably one of the only things I could find I didn't like about, and I was trying pretty hard.
Rarity and price aside, I could drink this any day of the year, I would just need 30 minutes to lose myself in it.

Batch 4 - 2009 - 750mL

This is a pure funk bomb, tastes like a blueberry flavored band-aid. Fruit wasn't as present as I remembered, and this bottle was fresher... Too medicinal, I'm going to knock my appearance down to account for the difference in batches. (1,294 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff. (505 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium... (637 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -4%

The 2005 Cantillon Blåbær poured a clear, golden orange amber. It looked like beautiful sparkling resin. It smelled like slightly sweet grape, touch of berry, touch of cereal and horseblanket funky sour. It tasted incredibly sour, pucker lemon, funky-cole-madina, lots of oak with a touch, and I mean a touch of berry. It was good. I was aching for a bit more fruit; but don't get me wrong, Cantillon has an amazing capacity to create incredible back-of-your-throat sour lemon puckers, which a lot of people love and crave. And it was good; I just wanted a bit more complexity and fruit flavor like in some of their other beers.

The 2007 Cantillon Blåbær Batch II poured the most beautiful color I have ever seen in a beer. I wanted to just stare at it all night long. It was this incredibly sparkling, brilliant ruby red with a touch of aubergine. Absolutely gorgeous. It smelled like a bucket of tart blueberries. It tasted like tart cranberries, tart blueberries, oak and back of your throat pucker sour. This had the complexity I was looking for. The beer starts tart to sour and then metamorphose into ripe and tart blueberries with the oak rounding out the transition. Beautiful. Elegant.

The 2009 Cantillon Blåbær was the weakest link of the evening. It poured a cloudy, murky mahogany. It smelled like mulled cider mixed with berry pie. It tasted a little apple cider-y, with hint of cinnamon, sour green apple and cranberry. It was not much to my liking, but it actually helped when it was paired with dessert. (1,528 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic. (1,003 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +3.8%

375ml bottle, compliments of billab914. Hats off to you, Bill for hooking me up with an elusive brew. 2009 bottle...not sure what batch it was because I couldn't read the scribble those Belgium's wrote on the side of the bottle. Poured into my town hall snifter:

A - A murky purple with nice amount of foam and nice signs of carbonation. The color reminds me of the innards of blueberry pie or a light grape juice.

S - Faint blueberries and a bit of band-aid and barnyard funk. Some citrus notes as well.

T - Flawless. Sour blueberries and bits of hay. Acidic and tannins that make my jaw lock up a bit. Very good stuff.

M - Nice and crisp. Light velvet.

D - Could drink it all the time. I've tried so hard to land this brew and now that I've had the chance to try it I can die a happy man (someday.) I don't know if I'd trade half my cellar for a bottle but worth seeking if you have the means. Thanks again Bill for the chance to try this! (946 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750mL 2005 Batch 1 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This was my favorite batch. Totally unreal.

A- Pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Clear in initial pour but insanely opaque grapefruit juice color with the yeast.

N- Subdued blueberry muffin, unblended lambic citrus, funk, sour fruits.

T- Slight blueberries, unwashed, full of blueberry skins, lots of bright citrus and grapefruit rind that takes over and makes the blueberry very subdued. Overall is very sour and light bodied.

P- Geuze-like, tannic, sharp, very sour, very bright citrus. Leathery and lactic.

750mL 2007-1 Batch 2 black foil courtesy of madsberg. This is a totally different lambic all together.

A- Pours like a kriek that is on crack- straight up opaque purple with a billowing purple head that is insane. Blueberry seeds tumble into the champagne flute.

N- Full of band-aid, goes almost chemical, and has some baked cherry pie that comes through if you give it a chance.

T- More acidic, full of sour cherries, blueberry skins. Way different. Blind tasting either batch 1 or batch 2 I would not put as a blueberry lambic. I would put batch 1 as unblended, and 2 as a kriek.

750mL 2007-2 Batch 3 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This is where I think Jeppe was able to find a happy medium between batch 1 and 2.

A- This pours a cloudy pink with less of a pink head.

N- No band-aid and has more blueberry muffin, brine, cheese, funk, and overall less intense than batch 2.

T- Considerably more tart, full of lactic acid, more brightly acidic.

I'm scoring batch 1 as it was my favorite rather than averaging all of them together. (1,633 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost. (1,118 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle 375, first Cantillon rating after having multiple of there offerings multiple times.

A- wow, what a great looking pour. Cloudy purple, pinkish blue. Have never seen a beer this color. Nice one finger pink/cream head
S- The smell really through me off on this. The first wiff is of Band Aids and it was pretty prominent. As it opens up with some movement, that subsides and is replaced by fresh blueberries. The more it sits and breaths, the more the blueberries start to make an appearance. There is a light tart smell to it and small red berry aroma as well.
T- Slightly sour up front with a fresh blueberry puree finish. That sums up the taste of this one, from start to finish that is what I got.
M-This is a thick lambic. It is still relatively a light bodied beer but has some weight to it. It has a dry finish, leaving you mouth yearning for more.

Overall, I am really glad that I got to taste this much sought after Whale of mine. I would love to get more. This is one of a kind as far as the sours that I have had. I would love to open a new batch bottle to see what its like and to see if that Band Aid smell was just part of the aging on the one i had. (1,177 characters)

2009 bottle. Had this at the bottle share at the Pour House after the FW14 release party. Big thanks to the generous BA that brought this. Unfortunately all the beer drinking somewhat fogged my memory regarding his name.

Pours a beautiful light pinkish purple with a very small head that laces ever so slightly.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries. Some nice citrus notes as well (ruby red grapefruit comes to mind).

This was much more funky than I had anticipated. The nose doesn't seem to have this same grassy funk, but it really hits your palate and its oh so beautiful. Tart, sour, and very very complex. The flavors just layer between blueberries, sourness, funk.

Well carbonated that allows the blueberries to just pop on your tongue.

I could drink this all day. Very very drinkable. I would love to pair this beer with a nice fruit dessert. (858 characters)

4.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4 375ml bottle courtesy of and split with beeruser.

Had a serious "oh shit" moment opening this beer. After he took off the cap, we could see foam coming up around the side of the cork. Oh shit... But upon removing the cork, there was delayed reaction gushing. Luckily almost all made it into our glasses, and the head settled to a 1cm crown for the duration of the experience. Very impressive, but no lace. The color was amazing. Striking deep purplish body with an almost sickly pink and purple head. Smelled like typical Cantillon funk/vinegar with blueberry, blackberry, and old shit thrown in. Yeah.
This is the first blueberry beer I've ever had where I could taste the blueberry enough to truly identify and appreciate it.
Not nearly as sour or acidic as I had expected. Classic Gueze, Kriek, and Gambrinus were more sour to me. Started out tart, and transitioned to blueberry on the finish. At least at first. Halfway through my glass, essence of citrus, earth, grapes, blueberries, and funk weaved themselves together with no regard for my dumb ass trying to keep up with it. Unbelievable complexity. Medium mouthfeel, carbonation kind of reminds your tongue of it's role in life. Smooth finish, somewhat dry, and lingers just enough for you to want another and another.

Truly amazing beer, but not one of a kind. I could (and probably will) give a review very similar to this one to Vigneronne, Classic, and especially St. Lamvinous. It's not miles ahead of any of those. But it is miles ahead of the competition. (1,531 characters)

This did not disappoint! Looked like dark pink shampagne when poured into the glass. Dry, tart and fruity. Prickly carbonation that washed all the deliciousness across my tongue. Blueberries must be an aphrodisiac 'cause I was getting laid thanks to this beer. I'm trading for a few more bottles right now. (306 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally. 375 ml. 2013 Vintage (about 1 month old) bottle.

Took a tasting glass @ Borefts 2013, split the rest with some people. Cork is wet on top & has taken some of the beer in, looks purple at the bottom, this one of the old Cantillon corks. Appearance is incredible, radiant purple, red grapes, pink shades, head is incredibly radiant pink but sadly disappears immediately, this looks incredible. Smell is old musty, blueberry & red grape skins, slight berries, cork, brett, funk,… not bad. Taste is musky grape skins, blueberry skins, old musty, cork, old wine, floral, musty, funk, light tart, brett,… Very dry, finishing carb. More grape skins than blueberry, not that impressive by Cantillon standards, this is a bit like St. Lamvinus but not as neat as the better bottles of that one. I will give it a good score because it is a good brew but I have rated other Cantillon’s much higher. This is clearly way overrated because it is rare but actually obtainable, that is just it. (993 characters)

2014 bottle, at the shop in Copenhagen.
Simply delicious, funky sour barn smell from the glass, but it drinks so smoothly, you just want more. Possibly the best vintage yet? (173 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010 (1,678 characters)

Poured from the bottle into a tulip. So excited to try this one. 2009 vintage. Thanks, John.

The cork almost popped off by itself. Wow, crazy pour. A beautiful purple color with a huge pink head, which dissipates fairly quickly but never fully. Massively carbonated. This is the nicest lambic I've ever seen.

The smell is exquisite. The usual Cantillon musty, funky, old attic aromas combine with rich, plump blueberries in a perfect melange. I could just smell this beer for hours. But then I wouldn't be drinking it, would I? So here we go...

This does not disappoint. I was somewhat concerned that after the buildup in my head about this beer, that a letdown would be inevitable. Nope. A straight blast of sourness and funk, followed by the tiniest bit of sweetness accompanying the blueberry rush mid-palate. Some wood component throughout. There might be a tiny hint of citrus zest in there as well. The finish is nicely sharp, and quite dry.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Relatively light-bodied, lively carbonation, dry finish.

Let's just say that I would drink copious amounts of this every day for the rest of my life if I had any more of this beer. Man oh man, what a beer... (1,184 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting- Split 4 ways. Batch 2009 II.

A: Pours a cranberry red color. 2 fingers of pink head that reduces to a film around the edges of the tulip glass.

S: Really love this intense blueberry and blackberry aroma. can tell there is a lot of acidity and also get some barnyard funk.

T: Lots of blueberry and nice acidity. Good sourness to this. Very well balanced, but not too complex. Very flavorful.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable fruit lambic. Really enjoyed the blueberry aroma and flavor. (540 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice. (982 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

375ml bottle, 2012 batch. served at 55 degrees

A: Purple mixed with ruby red. Small head that recedes quickly with a small amount present throughout consumption

S: mild funk with blueberry skin, unremarkable for a cantillon.

T: fresh blueberry, funk, slight lemon.

M: this is probably the best part about this beer, nice amount of carb, prickly, medium body. What you expect with a loon.

O: It was nice to try this but it didn't live up to the hype I expected. I'd just as much prefer to drink a Rose, St. Lam, or Fou as I would this. I'll probably try and seek out another batch just to compare. (601 characters)

Opened this bottle up at my girlfriends medical school graduation party. Shared with a few friends, served around cellar tempature. This was the 4th great sour of the afternoon...we started off with some bullfrog el rojo, next was the veritas 003, followed by some russian river deviation and to end the night a 750ml bottle of 2007 Blabaer.

Cap was a bit rusty and smelled like rotting fish...cork was in perfect condition. Upon opening a beautiful stream of white foam with purple tints began to creep its way out of the bottle.
The beer pours a deep purple color with a white/pinkish head.
Aroma was the most increadable thing i have ever put my nose too. The first thing i notice are the danish blueberries. Its like im smelling fresh blueberries at the local farmers market in the height of their season. This is followed by a subtle funk. Some sour green apples, lemons, cocoa and as it warms a bit it begins to smell exactly like blueberry pancakes. Taste was supurb. A nice blueberry sweetness without being too overpowering, followed by the same blueberry flavor but this time they are very tart. Sour fruits galore in this one, just layers of complexity dancing over your tounge. A nice acetic feel with a bit of wet hay in the mix. The mouthfeel of this lambic is the best i have ever had. Nice smooth carbonation very creamy and goes down better and nicer then anything.
The drinkability of this beer is outstanding. Its so flavorful and nice i could drink this all night.

This is the most increadable lambic i have had the pleasure of drinking. If you are able to get your hands on a bottle, it will be a wonderful experience. (1,645 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Nick for this sample!
750ml. Bottle. 2007 vintage. Pours a purple/red color with a pinkish head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is subtle on the blueberries with more barnyard funk, wood, and citrus.

Flavors of blueberries, raspberries, funky sour cherry in there as well.

Nice balance between the sweet and sour. A well made beer. (350 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

A surprise share by Urbancaver - thanks Cam! '09 vintage poured into an Upland snifter between four of us. It poured out looking, well, almost exactly like fresh raspberry juice - a mellow and thin red with delicate lacing. It's really quite beautiful. Aromas of saddle leather, field grasses, very ripe strawberry and blueberry.

It packs a bit of a sour punch, almost like a sourpatch kid or strawberry jolly rancher, but with a fresh blueberry/strawberry quality and a background of the grass and leather from the aroma. The taste is very clean, and the fruit is right up front as the star of the show. The mouthfeel is much as the appearance - akin to fresh raspberry juice; it is just the right balance of alcohol, sugars, and clean juice to keep the body in check from becoming too heavy or too thin. Absolutely wonderful lambik. (835 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale... (273 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

2009 375ml bottle shared with Weisguy for a mini lambic tasting.
Served a bit too cold, but hey, it’s January in Michigan. Poured a blueberry pulp red with lots of purple and a nice frothy white head. Immediate smell is vinegar even after just uncapping! The nose definitely foreshadowed the taste as it packs a powerful acidic kick in the mouth. Bit of sparkling fruit soda mid-taste & on the palate, but very enjoyable. Tastes very similar to Cantillon Kriek and it’s hard to get much blueberry out of the beer until sampling the last 4 ounces of dregs/sediment. The surprising acidity of the beer (for a 2009) burns lightly on the finish. Extremely drinkable. 8/4/8/5/17
Re-rate for 2009 (batch 4) 750ml: Shared by Dan at Derek’s first visit back tasting in April. Pours a vibrant purple with a pinkish head. Smell is a bit of funk, sweet blueberries, and vanilla. Taste is sour, funky, but accompanied by acidic blueberry skin with a dry finish. Woah, this was a very different beer compared to the batch 5 375ml I opened up some short time before. Way more blueberry fruit on the nose and taste which made all the difference in balancing the beer out. 9/4/9/5/20 (1,175 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing! (380 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon