Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,212
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
Gueuzedude

Arizona

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

04-19-2008 03:08:51 | More by Gueuzedude
XmnwildX12

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

11-22-2013 04:49:00 | More by XmnwildX12
Halcyondays

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff.

03-21-2012 00:28:46 | More by Halcyondays
beernads

05-18-2013 06:48:29 | More by beernads
kojevergas

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

07-13-2011 23:52:24 | More by kojevergas
imperialking

11-30-2011 05:25:52 | More by imperialking
corby112

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

01-10-2010 01:21:44 | More by corby112
yourefragile

District of Columbia

4.8/5  rDev +6%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

05-15-2011 02:50:45 | More by yourefragile
stakem

3.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Let me precurse this review by saying how excited and full of anticipation I was to finally have a chance to try this brew...

750ml bottle, '11 inscribed on the bottom of the label with silver marker. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a deep purple color. A pink frothy head sits atop the brew and gets revived to a full finger's strength when lightly swirled. When held to the light, ruby coloration shows through the body and despite a careful pour, some tiny spots of what looks like blueberry skin rests on the bottom of the glass.

The smell of this brew is primarily funky with notes of plastic while it is chilled. Some indications of cheese and earthy fruit start to evolve as the brew warms up. It also has a mild almost medicinal touch about it. When the glass is swirled, only then do berry tinges come out and blend through the aroma. Once warm, this brew picks up a sort of damp woodsy character from the barrel aging. While not the most fragrant, bright or upfront fruit scent to a beer, it is well rounded and enjoyable.

The taste is funky primarily with plastic notes upfront. I won't sugar-coat my first impression; it is slightly disappointing considering the unrealistic aura surrounding this brew. As it warms up, it turns earthy and pitted with a light medicinal touch. The berry inclusion here gets increasingly earthy with a wet and almost moldy wood feel to it. There is a spice of alcohol that comes out across the back as the brew warms up. It is tart and rich in berry flavor once warm which is pleasant considering the initial let down.

This is a light bodied brew with a perfect amount of modest carbonation. It is lively enough in the mouth but not overdone and distracting. There is a solid mix of flavor/character to take in with lots of earthy tones. However, the initial impact of plastic and light nail polish remover was quite unwelcomed and didn't blend well with the rest of the brew. This offering was somewhat dry on the tongue which increased its overall salivation factor and ease of drink ability. It carries with it almost a cooling aspect about it in the back of the throat.

After the fact consideration: While glancing over other reviews, I don't see mention of some of the unpleasant character I picked up on in this. It makes me wonder just how variable some bottles can be. This is something I wouldn't mind trying again but it most certainly is not worth the price of admission. It is not the best fruit lambic I have had, it's not even the best Cantillon offering available. The sheer amount of blueberries that had to be packed in this to discolor the brew to the deep purple it is, is amazing. Unfortunately, that excitement/impression doesn't easily transpire to the same degree in either the flavor or aroma.

11-15-2011 19:02:06 | More by stakem
DoubleJ

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

03-22-2012 02:46:17 | More by DoubleJ
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Review #700

2009 Vintage (don't know the batch#) thanks to Mikesgroove for this one.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn't even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn't know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won't have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

EDIT: After trying a fresh 2010 batch shared generously by kbutler1, I have come to realize why everyone loves this beer so much. Fresh blueberries dominate the nose and the taste on this batch. It has the perfect amount of sour and funk blend. It is very drinkable. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh! The blueberries show much more and makes it a real treat.

02-03-2010 01:45:12 | More by mothman
BARFLYB

08-05-2013 05:19:28 | More by BARFLYB
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

05-18-2010 02:46:55 | More by Huhzubendah
brandoman63

4.25/5  rDev -6.2%

11-20-2011 04:12:05 | More by brandoman63
mdaschaf

Washington

4.69/5  rDev +3.5%

Review from notes. Much thanks to Paul for sharing this with me!

A: Pours a nice light purple color with a thin white head on top, mostly forming a ring. Thin lacing with nice retention.

S: Fantastic fruity aroma. Lots of blueberries with a bit of sour/funk typical of Cantillon offerings. There is a bit of cheese that comes out as it warms.

T: Jammy blueberries with a slight tartness. Nice funk/cheese on the flavor as well, which blends nicely with the fruit for a fantastic flavor profile.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Not overly tart, slightly dry.

O: An amazing beer. Going in I had high hopes, which were tempered from others who have had the beer previously. I will agree that it is amazing, but I would rather drink other Cantillon beers which take less effort/cost to get.

08-29-2013 02:34:53 | More by mdaschaf
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness?

03-21-2012 03:03:21 | More by Beerandraiderfan
billab914

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Happy New Year's Eve. This is how I'm starting off my night. 2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware.

It poured a deep purple color with the head and bubbles showing a pink or very light purple hue to them. The head retreated to the edges where it remained for a good while. Loved the colors it had to it.

The aroma has a very nice sourness to it without being overly acidic. Some of the berries show through nicely as well. It has a bit of a funky, basement like quality to it that adds to the tart sourness of the fruit. Complex and appealing aroma overall.

The taste starts out with a moderate acidic tartness. The blueberries start to come through next with a tart and sour flavor to them. It has a kind of a musty flavor throughout it as well. In the finish the blueberries come back and linger with some nice sourness to them. Excellent flavor and nice complexity to it.

The mouthfeel is medium to maybe a little heavy for the style. Carbonation is moderately sharp, but maybe a bit below average for the style. The mouthfeel worked very well for the beer overall.

The drinkability is excellent, it had some great flavors and complexity to it and was a great way to start the evening. It paired very nicely with a few good cheeses we had as well. Excellent beer overall and definitely one of the best if not the best fruit based sour beers I've had.

01-01-2011 01:40:26 | More by billab914
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

01-12-2010 10:47:38 | More by JohnGalt1
glid02

Georgia

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

08-01-2010 00:33:33 | More by glid02
HopHead84

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

09-14-2010 05:44:20 | More by HopHead84
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

07-27-2012 04:11:11 | More by HuskyinPDX
THECPJ

Delaware

4.1/5  rDev -9.5%

Reviewed from notes

A: this is one sexy looking beer! pinkish to purple in color with a ½ finger pink colored head, leaves frothy spotty lacing

S: a hint of sweetness, a lot of sourness, and hints of berries fill the nose

T: tart! the berry flavor was muted at first and over powered by the strong tartness of this one, but as it warmed, the berry flavors become more evident. the tartness doesn't seem to disappear, just mellows out a bit. there was a strange aftertaste similar to that of a bandaid, but this too disappeared as it warmed.

M: mild to moderate carbonation, dry, medium body

D: maybe the prettiest beer I've had to date, the tartness makes this one a sipper, but better to let it sit for awhile and allow that to mellow out and enjoy more of the berry flavor.

Cheers!
The CPJ

02-25-2011 05:30:19 | More by THECPJ
TurdFurgison

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes.

11-15-2009 19:52:38 | More by TurdFurgison
drummermattie02

06-14-2013 15:42:26 | More by drummermattie02
xnicknj

750mL bottle poured into taster - 2011 vintage - thanks to Mark000

Pours a brilliant purpley blue color with a cloudy haze. Crop of white head rests on top, fading into a collar of filmy residue with spotty lacing on the glass.

Juicy blueberries in the nose with funky sourness. Soft acidity and faint sweetness, straw and wet hay. Still fruit-forward yet tart despite the year+ of age.

Blueberry-driven tartness with plenty of jammy fruit tones. The sourness builds on the palate while drinking, yielding a funky yeast and wet hay. Straw and biscuit malts with grain and more blueberries. Tart fruit skins and oak with a soft vinous character. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, bubbly and lively on the tongue. One of the best fruit lambics I've ever had, although I believe Fou Foune is still my favorite.

12-26-2012 15:55:23 | More by xnicknj