Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,448
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.58/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml bottle (2009 vintage) received in trade with bmanning. Thanks for this huge want Ben. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours the color of concord grape juice with a thick, fluffy purpley pink head of 2-3 fingers that lasts for a little while before falling to a thick, creamy collar and leaving lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - Very interesting. Smells of grapes, raspberries and brett mainly. Lots of interesting funk. Looking for blueberries I don't get fresh fruit, more of a blueberry jam.

T - Blueberries are more subtle than I expected out of this. Extremely tart especially up front and very dry. Layered with funky brett in the middle with some horseblanket and general yeastiness and finishing with some lactic and acetic sourness on the finish. Blueberries are somewhat light, but I keep coming back to the blueberry jam character. As it warms up a bit the fruit really starts to come out (and I get some lemony aspects too) and the tartness becomes less bracing and more well integrated into the overall flavor of the beer. A truly great and interesting beer. As it warms further, I really get left with the fresh blueberry juice flavor I was initially expecting. Very interesting how this beer changes through the range of temperatures - from fridge temp to approaching room temperature.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is medium high. Tart/sour flavors dominate and cause a definite puckering sensation on every sip. A bit of warmth though really does wonders for this beer. The flavors really open up on this turning a "good" sour into a great beer. Wow, warmer temps on this are leaving me very impressed.

D - On first sip, I was a little bit unimpressed by this. The tart and sour nature were overwhelming and masked a lot of the subtleties in this beer. As it warms the true character of this beer really stands out. Jammy and fresh fruit blueberry character becomes very prominent in a very good way. Would love to be able to try this one again, but I won't hold my breath.

4.45/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting- Split 4 ways. Batch 2009 II.

A: Pours a cranberry red color. 2 fingers of pink head that reduces to a film around the edges of the tulip glass.

S: Really love this intense blueberry and blackberry aroma. can tell there is a lot of acidity and also get some barnyard funk.

T: Lots of blueberry and nice acidity. Good sourness to this. Very well balanced, but not too complex. Very flavorful.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable fruit lambic. Really enjoyed the blueberry aroma and flavor.

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost.

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle shared between some fellow BAs. 2009 dated on the bottle.

A - Purple/maroon with reddish hues. Pink fluffy head. Visible blueberry skins in each of our glasses.

S - Sweet fruits at first, but the blueberries really come through as it warms up. Horse blanket funk and citrusy sourness.

T - Sweet fruits from the second it hits my tongue. Blueberries become more pronounced (again as it warms up) in the finish. Sour, sweet, and funky throughout.

M - Creamy, chewy, and fizzy. Great body on this one.

D - Exceptionally drinkable. Could not put this one down and could easily drink a bottle by myself.

3.91/5  rDev -13.5%

2009 Batch II

A - A very, very dark red. About two fingers of a pinkish head that laced very nicely.

S - Lots of fruity berry goodness, including what seems to be blueberries. Little bit funky with some nice tart sweetness.

T - This was nice, but kind of disappointing given what I was hearing my friends say about it. A buddy of mine drank it with me and he said Batch 1 was significantly better. Has a funky blueberry taste, but not quite as sweet an tart as I was hoping. Little yeasty, and a little bit of heavier flavor than I wanted.

M - Syrupy and medium bodied, slightly creamy, nice carbonation, but would have preferred it a touch lighter.

D - Sweet and unoffensive, so it's pretty easy to drink. Not a session beer so to speak, but an easy drinker.

A: Pours an absolutely beautifull dark peach/grapefruit red. A very small amount of light passes through. If you tilt the glass you can definitely see some purple. Almost no head at all on a very coservative pour.

S: Funk and fruits dominate the nose. I dont really pick up on any blueberry, just fruityness in general. The funk is quite strong in the small, its obvious this big boy is going to be a bit sour. This is the best smelling lambic Ive ever tried.

T: wow. Very sour and tart upfront. A bit mouth puckering at first, just the way I like it. The blueberry comes out half way through, especially if you swirl a bit in your mouth. The finish is crisp and refreshing.

D: Perfectly carbonated, just amazing. This is drinking very well right now. I could easily sip on this all night if it wasnt such a whale to get.

I hate to give a beer all 5's, but this is easily the best lambic Ive ever had. One that truely lives up to the hype.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Huge thanks to Sean for busting out this 750 at that insane tasting we will all talk about for years. This is the second of two beers I made sure to note that night.

Pours a bluish/purple with a beautiful, foamy head.

Naturally, lots of blueberries in the nose. Me, not being a sourhead, was a little anxious with this, but I didn't pick up much funk. Just juicy, farm-fresh blueberries. I seem to get more of a mixed berry whiff a bit later. I guess there is a slight vinegary component here but not enough to turn me off.

This is tart! Definitely a tad mouth-puckering. I'm getting oakiness and some leather hits, but I can't separate from those delicious blueberries!

Perfect, medium carbonation. I could drink this all mother loving day. This beer is everything I was led to believe it was. Refreshing, gorgeous, mesmerizing. Dare I say it's a gateway sour? Good luck finding this particular gate again though.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Another great beer sent to me by Anders. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

Batch 2009 - II

A- Pours a hazy, dull cranberry / maroon color. Produced two fingers width of off-white head with a pinkish hue. Reduced to a thick ring. Good lacing.

S- Instantly, blueberries just explode into the nostrils...almost have a vinous nature to them. Lots of barnyard funk underneath it all. Really digging this.

T- Much like the aroma. Heavy blueberry flavors upfront with a unique, vinous nature beneath. Almost one dimensional, but balanced out with a building sourness and some funk in the finish.

M- Light bodied with great carbonation. Really easy on the palate.

D- As for as fruit lambics go, this is pretty drinkable. Good overall balance between the blueberries and the acidity.

Overall, one of the better fruited lambics by Cantillon. Recommended if you're a fan of blueberries.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM!

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

2009 batch 2.

This esteemed beverage is purple in the glass, and smells like fresh blueberries and ripe armpits. The taste is blue and berryful. There is also some red wine.

Being six months old, the fruit isn't as full figured as a fresher bottle; blueberries aren't as robust to lambic as cherries, it seems.

Not worlds apart from the Lou Pepe series, but the Danish blueberries are what I'm partial to.

4.88/5  rDev +8%

Vintage '09. Big thanks to Mr. C for the hook up on this.

This one was a gusher. But luckily I was ready and none of the sweet nectar was lost. Pours a dark, hazy blackberry with a silky purplish head. Truly exceptional color.

Nose has tart berries, damp hay, horse blanket, manure and oak. Doesn't quite have the blueberry presence I was looking for.

Taste is a perfect blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk and wooden wine barrels. Superb balance.

Crisp, refreshing body has a delicate yet brisk carbonation. Dry, sour finish lingers nicely.

This is certainly a beautifull beer, but seems to be on it's way down. The Cantillon funk is slowly starting to take of the wonderfull blueberry flavors. Like any fruit lambic, this is most likely best enjoyed fresh.

4.51/5  rDev -0.2%

375ml bottle from soulforpeanuts, who is the man. Thanks, Rick! This bottle was from Batch 5, I believe, with 2009 and what looks like a 2 printed on the bottle.

Blåbær (I'm still not 100% sure how to say the name of this beer) pours a dark but fairly clear purplish color, really stunning, with a one-finger head that has pinkish hues. This is not the appearance I expected after having had other blueberry beers. I like it a lot.

Aroma is very nice, but not a standout for a Cantillon fruit lambic. Cantillon's signature yeast is ever-present. Bretty funk and lactic notes as well as a substantial blueberry presence.

The flavor is intense sour blueberries (not too sour though) and a little funk. I got some grape flavors in there as well, and definitely some vinegar notes. I poured it out in 3 increments, and I feel like the flavor got more intense toward the bottom of the bottle.

The palate is somewhat typical for a Cantillon fruit lambic, which is to say it's awesome. There's really a great tingling that you get on the mouthfeel that almost chokes you up. That is a very good thing. Body is medium and mouthfeel is lively. Medium level of acidity for the style.

Very drinkable. I kept coming back for another sip, and my girlfriend, who I shared this with, had to get me to slow down so she could have some. What an excellent beer. I don't know if I could rank it over some of the Lou Pepe beers with age on them, but then again, this beer could probably be pretty damn incredible with age too. Looking forward to trying this one again.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%

Bottle thanks to callmemickey. I believe this is batch 4 or 5.

Pours solid purple with beautiful pink bubbly head that lingers for minutes. Aroma is easily dominated by blueberry, but has some great lemon and orange along with earthy funk/horse blanket. Taste is mild honey sweetness then great tartness. A little vanilla on the finish but then a lingering blackberry taste on the tongue. Great tartness, well balanced and good carbonation. Another incredible lambic from Cantillon.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice.

4.63/5  rDev +2.4%

Small 2009 corked and capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The presentation is gorgeous, with a deep glowing burgundy color, similar to fresh wine, but better, considering the off white, pink stained cap that holds reasonably well despite the soft carbonation.
The aroma is great as well, the blueberries are just an accent, as opposed to some fruit beers that are plain overdone. Funky, leather, sour and acidic notes, some phenol can be noted as well.
Medium bodied, refreshing despite again soft carbonation that does go well with the flavor; this is bone dry, somewhat tart and quite acidic; the blueberries lend a rare slightly sweet note, but it is always dry, tart and acidic. Long and pleasant after taste.
A great beer, wish I had a full case to partake during summer. The fruit here comes the way I like it, as a contributing flavor as opposed to a dominating one obscuring all the good beer notes.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

2009 bottle shared by jammalamma. Poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours an insane color! Light purple, hazy/foggy with light pink edges. There is a thin bubbly pink head that fades quickly to a tiny ring around the edges of the glass, leaving barely any lacing.

The smell is tart blueberries first, but they are fleeting and quickly replaced by a more sweet berry note. There is a healthy amount of oak, hay and a bit of vinegar. I can also pick up a bit of caramel or sugared candy sweetness very briefly.

The taste is much more tart than the smell let on. The tart blueberries, hay oak and funk come at you full blast. After the initial tart berry component there is a quick sweet blueberry note, but it's quickly replaced by a hint of vinegar sour and a return of the tart blueberries in the finish.

This one is very well carbonated for the style, not too much or too little, but just right. The beer has a nice dry finish and the flavors are really great, making this one highly drinkable. I would love to get my hands on another bottle. This is one of the few beers that I have had that exceeded my very expectations and all the hype.

4.55/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage.

A: Poured a deep ruby with a nice light ruby head that left a bit of lacing on its way down.

S: Quite a bit of lactic sourness, without much vinegar smells coming through like with Saint Lamnivus. Definitely quite a few blueberry notes marking their way in. A little bit of sweetness.

T: Quite a bit of acidity, but nothing too overwhelming like several other beers coming from Cantillon. The blueberry taste is simply astounding, blending beautifully with the sweet, tart sourness. The blueberry flavor is quite unique and pungent, tasting almost like crushed blueberries that had previously been frozen, as opposed to fresh blueberries.

M: Beautiful acidity balanced against a lovely fruit aroma--very well done.

D: Very, very nice. Wish this had been a 750 as opposed to a 375. Exceptionally thrilled that I got to try this one out.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

4.26/5  rDev -5.8%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Review #700

2009 Vintage (don't know the batch#) thanks to Mikesgroove for this one.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn't even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn't know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won't have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

EDIT: After trying a fresh 2010 batch shared generously by kbutler1, I have come to realize why everyone loves this beer so much. Fresh blueberries dominate the nose and the taste on this batch. It has the perfect amount of sour and funk blend. It is very drinkable. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh! The blueberries show much more and makes it a real treat.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon