Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,210
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
nathanjohnson

bombadil

11-14-2011 07:47:19 | More by bombadil
Slatetank

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I was waiting for some time for the chance to try this and was glad I got the opportunity. Enjoyed from the 750ml into a cantillon tulip.

A reddish purple hue with thick pink band after settling. The bead is of various sizes with lace that sticks pretty well. The clarity of this beer is on the translucent side. The smell is great, the funk is huge in this with big berry fruity aroma and mild phenolic accent which is slightly medicinal at first but seems to mellow allowing the dark berry odors to take over with a slight floral and woody note. There is a mild tart berry skin hint with a nice amount of oak and light herbal tinges. The feel has a tannic and juicy astringent acidity up front which makes way for some slight sweet fruit flesh tinges and the sour yeast which has a clean lactic sour quality and still adds a mild spice effect with the moderately high carbonation.

A blueberry taste is apparent with big fruity tart taste and bit phenolic flavor that carries over where the aroma leaves off. There is a lactic type of flavor with mild acidic puckering quality. The taste has a gentle woody tinge with mild bitter aspect in the background. The taste has more of an earthy accent as it warms with the funk flavor coming out to meet the fruit and sour taste with the tart pie-like berry blueberry tart tatste. Overall I was overjoyed with the experience. I find this to be a great fruit beer with a nice sourness from the wild yeast without becoming too overwhelming...the perfect blend practically of berry and wild yeast. I really enjoyed this and there is very little to find fault with -Kudos Cantillon!

11-13-2011 19:04:43 | More by Slatetank
mrand01

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

750mL gold foil bottle from 2007 poured into a generic Crate & Barrel tulip.

A: Deep red, opaque, light head with moderate lacing. Little bits of seed (?) are visible when held up to light.

S: Funky, fruity. Can't say the blueberrys are distinctive here, but I'm amazing at the level of fruitiness in the scent as this bottle is pushing 5 years old.

T: That fruitiness starts it off and quickly fades into an incredibly puckering sour. Fruit seems to linger in the aftertaste. This beer is truly incredible.

M: Light body, reasonably sticky. Carbonation is a little more subtle than other Cantillons I've had in the past.

O: This beer is absolutely awesome. I now have to seek out a fresher bottle to see what this is like fresh!

11-12-2011 16:30:24 | More by mrand01
ehammond1

4.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, cbanker!

Murky purple and dark blue in color with a thin head--nice dotted lacing left down the glass. Unique and gorgeous!

The aroma is a nice combination of barnyard mustiness, hay, and lots of plump, juicy blueberries, currant, and cherry, interestingly enough.

Surprised by the flavor, the yeast and funk lead the way and steal the show here. It's incredibly sour, mouth-puckeringly so, and while there' a good amount of fruit character, I'm not sure I would be able to say it was blueberry without knowing otherwise.

Low to medium bodied with high carbonation.

So glad I got to finally try this, but, I believe there are much better Cantillons.

11-06-2011 15:55:34 | More by ehammond1
brew3crew

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Had at the epic bottle share to kick off sdbw!

2011 vintage bottle shared by cbanker. Thanks chris!

A- beautiful purple body with a little bit of head that quickly disapates

S- grapes. Sweet grapes. Man oh man

T- can really taste the rare here. Also follows the nose. Great grape taste that doesn't last nearly as long as it needs too

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Great Fucking beer.

11-05-2011 17:47:23 | More by brew3crew
dmsohyea

4.53/5  rDev 0%

750ml 2011 vintage shared by cbanker, thanks Chris, this was awesome.

Pours a crazy bluish purple color. Perfect head retention and good lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Smells like a huge amount of sour mix, blueberries and acai berries. Very fruit forward and you can tell this is funky and sour.

Tastes mouth puckeringly sour. See the guy on the bottle? That's pretty much the face you're going to make. Since this was a fresh vintage all of that wonderful fruit is still very strong. Funk, berries, sour, a bit of sweetness and a lot of delicious.

High carbonation and a touch thin. Doesn't detract from the amazing taste, though.

Overall I'm glad I tried this one, it's great. However, between fou'foune and blabaer, I would definitely take fou.

11-05-2011 15:23:13 | More by dmsohyea
SpdKilz

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Graciously shared by Sean9689 at Zwanze Day 2011. This has been a long time want/tick. Thank you again! 2011 750ml bottle.

Appearance – Pours into a Cantillon tulip with an utter amazing dark blue/purple color. About a half finger of purple head that dissipates at an average pace leaving slight nifty looking lacing. Side note, as I drank this there were bits of berry that got stuck on the glass…awesome.

Smell – Lots of fruit; quite obviously blueberry. A wonderful tart and barnyard funk aroma. Leather, lemon peel, and more blueberry.

Taste – A nice puckering up front with loads of berry flavor. A slight barnyard funk flavor such as wet hay and leather. A hint of acidic characteristic, lemon zest, oak, and tannic qualities.

Mouthfeel – Lighter medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes a hint dry and acidic.

Overall – I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. It was everything I was hoping and expecting it to be. To be honest, I recently went international to get a 33cl of the 2011. That said, I will admit this beer was not insanely better than other Cantillon’s I have had. While it is different with the variation of berries, the 2003 Lou Pepe Framboise I had recently was more mouth puckering and sour. Since I have had this beer fresh, I will now age the bottle I own. Still, a fantastic beer.

10-20-2011 01:51:59 | More by SpdKilz
biggsbowler

4.43/5  rDev -2.2%

2010 bottle share by Darkguardian at Coffee District. This was the first time having this beer and Im glad it was a fresh, because I’ve had some aged Cantillons, which were awesome, but the fruit taste was pretty much gone. It was hard to drink this beer. First off, the blueberry and sourness in the nose was so great that I just kept smelling the beer. I was fearful that I would drink it in one shot because the smell was that good. The taste was even better. Blueberries were present but not overpowering. The tartness added some great puckering and made each sip better and better. I never pass on Cantillon and its because of beers like this one.

10-07-2011 13:40:33 | More by biggsbowler
bulldogp04

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

This is review for batch 7.
Not as "pungent" as previous batches. Seems
A little more "watered down." don't get me wrong, there are berries and funk, but not as much oak or depth of flavor as I remember with previous batches. This was a 375 and I will re-rate a 750 batch 7 sometime in future to see if more complexity develops. Slighty underwhelmed this go around.

09-26-2011 03:49:43 | More by bulldogp04
pixieskid

Germany

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Enjoyed a nice little pour of this prior to the start of our Zwanze celebration at La Cave a Bulles with Simon and our crew.

Pours a wine like violet color with a decent head.
The aroma is killer, blueberries and ripe fruit.

Unfortunately the taste couldn't live up to the nose, few do...nice rounded tartness with a hint of funk. Obviously a solid blueberry note throughout and a nice lingering juiciness...a little puckering I suppose.

It was great, but not nearly as epic as it's made out to be. If I end up in Copenhagen anytime soon, I will certailnly seek out a few bottles to add to the cellar. Regardless, it's another one I can happily check off the list and am happy to have tried it.

Thanks Boss!

09-18-2011 16:04:57 | More by pixieskid
Doodler

Colorado

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff.

09-08-2011 04:48:21 | More by Doodler
sarro

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

2009 375ml bottle shared with Weisguy for a mini lambic tasting.
Served a bit too cold, but hey, it’s January in Michigan. Poured a blueberry pulp red with lots of purple and a nice frothy white head. Immediate smell is vinegar even after just uncapping! The nose definitely foreshadowed the taste as it packs a powerful acidic kick in the mouth. Bit of sparkling fruit soda mid-taste & on the palate, but very enjoyable. Tastes very similar to Cantillon Kriek and it’s hard to get much blueberry out of the beer until sampling the last 4 ounces of dregs/sediment. The surprising acidity of the beer (for a 2009) burns lightly on the finish. Extremely drinkable. 8/4/8/5/17
Re-rate for 2009 (batch 4) 750ml: Shared by Dan at Derek’s first visit back tasting in April. Pours a vibrant purple with a pinkish head. Smell is a bit of funk, sweet blueberries, and vanilla. Taste is sour, funky, but accompanied by acidic blueberry skin with a dry finish. Woah, this was a very different beer compared to the batch 5 375ml I opened up some short time before. Way more blueberry fruit on the nose and taste which made all the difference in balancing the beer out. 9/4/9/5/20

08-23-2011 04:56:14 | More by sarro
popery

4.2/5  rDev -7.3%

From notes 8/5/11. Huge thank you to Dobby for this one. 2011, Batch 7, 750 ml. Pours a deep maroon and cloudy with a thin layer of bubbles. Aroma is very good. Lots of blueberries, earth, barnyard and mild cheese notes. The berries don’t seem terribly juicy, but it’s wonderfully restrained and complex. The taste is dry with a tannic, blueberry skin quality. I’m guessing that my review would be very high for an older bottle because this one just doesn’t seem to have the tartness of other Cantillon and 3F fruit lambics, and more sour berry flavor would put this over the top. Still, it’s pretty great, as is. Mouthfeel is fairly normal for the style - light, not too bubbly. Good stuff.

08-15-2011 22:54:03 | More by popery
Azurescens

Washington

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic.

08-15-2011 04:50:24 | More by Azurescens
rvdoorn

Netherlands

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version

08-12-2011 09:49:13 | More by rvdoorn
drowland

Georgia

4.8/5  rDev +6%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing!

07-25-2011 15:00:24 | More by drowland
kojevergas

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

07-13-2011 23:52:24 | More by kojevergas
tmoneyba

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured hazy purple color with a large frothy grape colored head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy tart fruit, yeast and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with tingly smooth texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy sour & sweet fruit flavor with a mdium to heavy tart fruit & sweet and small alcohol finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer & lambic.

07-11-2011 23:10:15 | More by tmoneyba
BeerAndBourbon

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

A. Pours a cloudy redish purple with a thick creamy purple head that leaves plenty of beautiful lacing.

S. Bright lemony tartness with some barnyard funkiness.

T. Black cherry with tart blueberry in the aftertaste. Some nice hay and barn funk.

M. Thin body with crisp tartness and some nice creaminess.

D. Great. Glad I got to break this out.

07-07-2011 23:38:49 | More by BeerAndBourbon
Urbancaver

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy thick reddish purple. A nice bit of white head. Smells tart and heavily of blueberry on the nose. Tastes fruity and sour. Dry and very very tart. Incredibly tasty on the tongue. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall lives up to the legend!

07-07-2011 23:27:09 | More by Urbancaver
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

9.7/10

07-07-2011 17:07:36 | More by AlexFields
dboon

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale...

07-07-2011 00:59:42 | More by dboon
kingcrowing

Vermont

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer.

07-02-2011 19:06:29 | More by kingcrowing