Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,315
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 610 | Reviews: 223
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic.

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

A

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured hazy purple color with a large frothy grape colored head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy tart fruit, yeast and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with tingly smooth texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy sour & sweet fruit flavor with a mdium to heavy tart fruit & sweet and small alcohol finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer & lambic.

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

A. Pours a cloudy redish purple with a thick creamy purple head that leaves plenty of beautiful lacing.

S. Bright lemony tartness with some barnyard funkiness.

T. Black cherry with tart blueberry in the aftertaste. Some nice hay and barn funk.

M. Thin body with crisp tartness and some nice creaminess.

D. Great. Glad I got to break this out.

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours a hazy thick reddish purple. A nice bit of white head. Smells tart and heavily of blueberry on the nose. Tastes fruity and sour. Dry and very very tart. Incredibly tasty on the tongue. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall lives up to the legend!

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

9.7/10

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale...

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

This did not disappoint! Looked like dark pink shampagne when poured into the glass. Dry, tart and fruity. Prickly carbonation that washed all the deliciousness across my tongue. Blueberries must be an aphrodisiac 'cause I was getting laid thanks to this beer. I'm trading for a few more bottles right now.

4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

HUUUGE thanks to Dave for sharing this at a couple of tastings. You're the man! Review from notes.

Poured hazy pinkish, some red grapeskin hues with a pink-tinted white head that lasted a decent while. Wow the blueberry is really coming out of the glass. Nicely tart with a strong blueberry flavor... particularly of the unripe, sour blueberry kind. There's a lot more to this: slightest hint of mustiness, grass, and a puckering acidity. The beer is light and refreshing, yet very boldly flavored. Sourness is intense and relentless even in the finish, which is dry and tart. Berry flavor lingers a bit before giving way to a nice bit of funk. The beer is effervescent and dances with carbonation, but not too much so. Crisp and velvety at the same time, I can't really put my finger on it. All I know is that this beer is simply outstanding. Thanks again for sharing, Dave!

4.87/5  rDev +7.5%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! HOLY CHRIST, FINALLY! 2009 Vintage! Served from 375 mL bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a reddish purple with a one finger slight pink head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, dark fruit, blueberry, and a slight hint of funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, blueberry, fruit, and slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of (as I'm sure you know) excellent! All aspects of this one just worked extremely well together... The appearance was really unique to other lambics I have seen as you could tell there were blueberries involved in this beer before you even smelled it. The aroma was very inviting and I dare say, even mocked me to take a sip. I'm not one to be mocked so I did just that. WOW! There was no tart aspect at all in this one which was nice as I'm sure it would have covered up the delicate blueberry flavors going on here. The slight funky aspect was a really nice touch on the followthrough on this one. Just not a lot bad going on in this one if I'm completely honest. REALLY glad I got the chance to finally try this one as it was one of my harder to get brews via trading. I am currently searching for a 750 mL for my cellar if you have one you want to trade (hint hint traders!). A definite must try even if you have to beg or steal for it!

After typing this review and thinking about it, I am actually tasting the beer again and I indeed know that I need MORE. Someone help me out...

4.17/5  rDev -7.9%

Batch 4 - Bottled 2009 - 375ml green corked and capped bottle poured into my Cantillon stemware...

Pours a pale and muddy dark reddish/purple. Not nearly as clear or vibrantly colored as other Cantillons. Two fingers of soft pink head forms and slowly recedes, leaving a nice haze on top for pretty much the whole drink...

Nice aroma of tart blueberries right off the bat, swear I smelled a little grape juice too. The musty Cantillon funk takes over in this beer, much stronger than the fruit component. Finishes with some subtle oak aromas, pretty subdued overall for a Cantillon...

Nice flavor of tart little blueberries, you know, the really little ones in the batch that are really tart, my favorite ones, that's what this tastes like. Tart and blueberrylicious up front, but after a few sips it is all about the funk. Musty and dry, with an oaky finish...

Medium bodied with low carbonation. This one is pretty sticky and syrupy in the mouth, could use some more bubbles to move it along. Quite tart with a dry and acidic finish...

Overall this is a very good beer, but no better than any run of the mill Cantillon, in fact, I'll take a fresh, off the shelf Cantillon fruit Lambic over this any day.

4.77/5  rDev +5.3%

Small pour of the 2007 black foil vintage generously shared by Shaun Hill himself on the night before HF anniversary. Hazy pinkish pour with a few bubbles of foam. Aroma is a pure wonder. Lots of blueberry remains on the aroma despite this bottle’s age, with the regular lambic aromas coming out as a nice dry spiciness, almost peppery. Taste is super fruity but quite acidic too. Never has there been such a perfect match between a fruit’s acidic/sweet character and lambic’s funk/acidity. Everything just blends perfectly into one of my new favourite beers all time. Stunning.

4.32/5  rDev -4.6%

375ml bottle 2010. Thanks to Schmaltzy for the split

A- Pours a darker ruby hue and 2 fingers of pink head that died to a light pink layer of head that remained for the entire drink, slight lacing but not much.

S- My mouth started to water the second I popped the cork and was hit with a wave of sour funk. In the glass there's more subdued mustiness. Both fresh, tart blueberry and sweet blueberry preserves.. Very tart and dry blueberry flavor that leaves your mouth watering before you take your first sip, it entices you to drink it.

T- Sour blueberry immediately then finishes with a huge dry hay/funk finish. The funk on this beer does not end... 3-5min funk finish. Ahhh very impressive. As the beer warms the beer changes... overwhelming crisp sourness is replaced by even more funk. I

M- Nice light body with loads of carbonation that cleanses the palate and leaves you wanting to drink more of this beer. My mouth is still watering after each sip. An excellent fruited lambic, much more sour, funk and lambic-like than sweet and fruity.

D- I would love to sample this one again.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%

2010 Vintage opened up at my end-of-law school tasting and shared with yourefragile and beandip.

A: Pours a gorgeous ruby-red/purple with a pretty decent whitish-red head. I don't think I've ever seen a beer quite this color before.

S: I literally smell something different every time I smell it I get something a little different, the funk and the blueberry aromas seem to be battling for control here and there are hints of sourness a bit of band-aid lingering in the background. This was pretty much the only aspect of the beer that wasn't mindblowing.

T: Taste is big on the blueberries up front, but it opens up into a great funkiness that meshes very well with the fruit, then finishes sour, but not overwhelmingly so. The flavors come together perfectly, making this a treat to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is stupendous, it's got very nice carbonation and it really coats your mouth and then finishes very dry, pretty much perfect.

O: When a beer is so hyped up like this one, there is concern about being disappointed in the end, but Blabaer lived up to its lofty billing without a problem. This is damn close to a perfect lambic, it's got everything you could want - fruitiness, funk, sour - in an ideal arrangement.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Had the first three batches of this at the DC epic sour tasting. This rating of 4.3 is for 2007 first batch (so technically batch 2 overall). Batch 1 rating: thanks to ygtbsm94! clear, light orange witha very small white lace on the edge. Nose isnt much blueberry but noticeable since I knew what to look for. Taste is quite geuze like. Super smooth on the palate although quite sour. Definitely more geuze like than fruit lambic. Excellent brew. 4.0

Batch 2 rating: Thanks to tarheels86. Totally different! Deep ruby pour, slightly murky. YOu can actually get blueberry in the nose. Is much more acetic. Very similar sour level to the cantillon kriek. Really really nice sour. Much more acetic and much more blueberry than the batch 1. Very pleasant and drinkable. 4.4

Batch 3 rating: thanks to ygtbsm94. mellowed out. Much better head and retention. Definitely increased carbonation from batch 2, though softer mouthfeel, less blueberry, and less body. 3.9

Batch 5 rating bottle thanks to wavers1. Poured a deep ruby with a light pink, thin head. Nose is tart berry and apparent sourness. If blind, I wouldn’t have placed it as blueberry alone. More mixed cherry/blackberry. Funk. Taste was not as sour/funky as nose indicates, but very tasty and balanced. Mouthfeel was smooth, not as tart, balanced between full berry flavor, tartness, and more berry. Very berry. Probably the most fruit of the batches that I have had. 9 4 8 4 16= 4.1

Batch 6 rating: bottle thanks to Ryan. Best of the 5 I’ve had. Deep ruby red/pink pour with a large frothy pink head. Aroma is a pungent sour blueberry. This is batch 2 on steroids. More fruit and more sour than batch 2, which was my previous favorite. The taste is blueberry skins, bitter rind, tannins. Most of the blueberry comes at the end. Incredibly sour and fruity. 9 4 10 5 19=4.7

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to to brewdan for this one. 750ml. 2009 vintage I beleive it was batch 1. Poured a dark purplish-blue with a pinkish head. Very subtle blueberry aroma with amazing Cantillon funk. A little more musty basement smell then the normal barnyard from Cantillon. On the palate it was dry and light. It seemed to be more tart than sour. Mostly berry flavors with a little blueberry coming through. Extremely easy drinking for a Cantillon beer. Looking forward to having this one again.

4.92/5  rDev +8.6%

750mL 2005 Batch 1 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This was my favorite batch. Totally unreal.

A- Pours a light orange with a bubbly white head. Clear in initial pour but insanely opaque grapefruit juice color with the yeast.

N- Subdued blueberry muffin, unblended lambic citrus, funk, sour fruits.

T- Slight blueberries, unwashed, full of blueberry skins, lots of bright citrus and grapefruit rind that takes over and makes the blueberry very subdued. Overall is very sour and light bodied.

P- Geuze-like, tannic, sharp, very sour, very bright citrus. Leathery and lactic.

750mL 2007-1 Batch 2 black foil courtesy of madsberg. This is a totally different lambic all together.

A- Pours like a kriek that is on crack- straight up opaque purple with a billowing purple head that is insane. Blueberry seeds tumble into the champagne flute.

N- Full of band-aid, goes almost chemical, and has some baked cherry pie that comes through if you give it a chance.

T- More acidic, full of sour cherries, blueberry skins. Way different. Blind tasting either batch 1 or batch 2 I would not put as a blueberry lambic. I would put batch 1 as unblended, and 2 as a kriek.

750mL 2007-2 Batch 3 gold foil courtesy of ygtbsm94. This is where I think Jeppe was able to find a happy medium between batch 1 and 2.

A- This pours a cloudy pink with less of a pink head.

N- No band-aid and has more blueberry muffin, brine, cheese, funk, and overall less intense than batch 2.

T- Considerably more tart, full of lactic acid, more brightly acidic.

I'm scoring batch 1 as it was my favorite rather than averaging all of them together.

4.48/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to Foofaa for breaking out a bottle of this rare treat! This is a review of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Brilliant, lustrous, deep sapphire blue accented by subtle purple highlights. A thin, pinkish purple head caps the jewel like liquid and leaves spotty lace behind.

S-Gauze pad, tart blueberries and mustiness. Certainly interesting but not the most aggressively aromatic Cantillon beers I have had the pleasure of inhaling.

T-Super crisp tart blueberries with a dryness so pronounced it feels like you are trying to drink the Sahara. Tannic/oak astringency adds depth and additional palate dessication.

M-Light bodied, super dry and extremely crisp. One of the most astringent beers I have had the pleasure of drinking.

D-Whilst it is VERY dry it is easily one of the most drinkable Cantillon beers I have had. Super dry and crisp with just enough fruit sourness to help balance things out. An utterly delightful beer to enjoy slowly and savor each and every sip.

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer has been brought to tastings a couple different times by the most ridiculously generous beer dude there is, ygtbsm94. Thanks so much!

This is certainly an experience that hopefully all beer lovers will be able to enjoy at least once. Goddamn is this a wild looking beer. Poured into a Darkness snifter, this guy looks like a funky carbonated blueberry juice. Really pretty.

Smells of blueberry and funk with that Cantillon aromatic quality that is unique to them. Sours were never really my thing, but between Cantillon and Russian River I have really begun to love them.

Taste is again blueberry funk. Fruit there with great flavor, but a softness at the same time. A little sour and tart, but not as much as I expected.

Smooth body with great carbonation and something I need to find a way to trade for. Thanks again Brad, I owe you!

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Another whale opened for our sour tasting. 750 ml bottle, poured into a tulip.

A: Deep, watermelon red color. The pour produced a pinkish head that faded to a thin rim.

A: Strong berries up front. I get notes of raspberries, strawberries, and yes the blueberries. I also get herbal notes, and notes of citrus spice.

T: Amazing how the blueberries come through. I have had a lot of blueberry beers, but the berries are more prevalent in this than any other. Good amount of bitter sourness and nicely sweet.

M: Medium body. High carbonation and tingely.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty high. The sweet tartness will limit it some, but we're really just splitting hairs. Overall this is one fantastic beer, and one of the highlights of the night. Big thanks to Dave for sharing. Skal.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon