Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,224
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)

2009 bottle. Had this at the bottle share at the Pour House after the FW14 release party. Big thanks to the generous BA that brought this. Unfortunately all the beer drinking somewhat fogged my memory regarding his name.

Pours a beautiful light pinkish purple with a very small head that laces ever so slightly.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries. Some nice citrus notes as well (ruby red grapefruit comes to mind).

This was much more funky than I had anticipated. The nose doesn't seem to have this same grassy funk, but it really hits your palate and its oh so beautiful. Tart, sour, and very very complex. The flavors just layer between blueberries, sourness, funk.

Well carbonated that allows the blueberries to just pop on your tongue.

I could drink this all day. Very very drinkable. I would love to pair this beer with a nice fruit dessert.

teamizm, Nov 08, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Special thanks to Brad (aka. ygtbsm94) for bringing this very high profile brew to an awesome tasting!

Vintage 2007; Batch 3

A: Red/Purple color with tons of yeast floaties, a very small frothy head, which dissipated quickly, except for the suds which stayed gathered in the corners throughout the session.

S: Fresh sour blueberries. Brett?

T: Sweetness bleached out by tons of pepper. The sourness reminds could best be described as blueberry "Sour Patch Kids" candy. I eventually took a sip and held it in my mouth for a few seconds. When I did this...wow.... pepper city!

M: Like I stated before, peppery. Also, the cushion of yeast props up the taste better than any other beer I've ever tasted.

D: Remarkable! This is truly a wow beer and it doesn't get much better. It's one of those beers that I will always remember tasting.

Chaney, Nov 07, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle. Cork says bottled in 2010. Pours a really nice slightly hazes purple color with a pinkish head that both coasters and collars around the glass. Classic cantillon aroma with sour/tart notes but with the addition of subtle blueberries. Slight barnyard as well. Light mouhfeel with good carbonation. Starts sweet upfront with subtle blueberries and lemon zest. Not mouth puckering but for sure both sour and tart. Some barn type flavors as well. No real alcohol flavors. I can see why people chase this beer down as it is exceptionally good. I feel bad having to take this off my gots as this is my only one.

kbutler1, Nov 01, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

375 ml 2009 bottle split between two tulips and shared with fellow BA Danny at his place in North San Diego County.

Pours a blue-purple with more of a head than most Cantillons I've had the opportunity to sample. The light pinkish-lavender hued head settles quickly but leaves a thick ring around the edges of the glass for the entire tasting.

The lambic funky aroma is very strong but anchored in place surprisingly well by the very clearly defined fruity blueberry notes. The style requisite tart character really works well with this particular fruit.

Blueberry flavors are much stronger on this bottle than I thought based on the observations shared with me by others who have tried it. Acidic, sweet, and oak barrel flavors are perfectly in balance. I'm glad I tried this relatively fresh because although it wasn't as funky as some aged Cantillon bottles I've tried I really enjoyed how much the fruit flavor was intact.

I almost expected a letdown on this brew because of some of the rarity induced hype but this is very impressive even for a Cantillon and among the best beers I've ever tried. Hopefully I can land some more in the near future.

berkey, Oct 31, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

A HUGE thank you to schen9303 for sharing this one. 2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and caged bottle into a Duchess wine glass. The 100th reviewer for this rarity!

A: Gentle pour yields a .5 finger fine, pink colored head with moderate retention that fades into a thin wisp that lingers atop a cloudy, near opaque, deep purple brew. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Not much to look at but very appropriate for the style which is nearly still and unfiltered.

S: Nose is immensely oaky and fruity. Blueberries linger in the background and create a nice, sweet backdrop. Oak and barrels are upfront and a subtle tartness tickles the nose. Very aromatic and perfect for a lambic.

T: Opens sweet and tart, but subtle. Sour hides in the back but comes to the forefront little by little, supported by a dose of wood. Blueberries are present from the beginning to end and maintain an absurd level of balance. Vinegary finish is drying and seems to burn a hole in my stomach. Aftertaste is fruity and dry but lingers on the cheeks.

M: Medium bodied with very subtle carbonation. Silky smooth and filmy in the mouth with a dryness that builds as the beer lingers and warms. Finish is drying and puckering with an aftertaste that seems to suck the saliva from my mouth.

D: All day, every day. That's the only real way to describe the drinkability on this one. I've never EVER had a beer that comes close to as good as this one. Perfection in almost every way. The best lambic I've had to date by a mile. And indeed, probably the best beer I've come across to this point.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -11%

Bottle: Poured a deep murky blue-ish color lambic with a large enough foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of funky notes with well balance sourness and some light blueberry notes is quiet special and intriguing. Taste is a nice enough mix between some light sour blueberries with some well balanced barnyard notes with good sour notes. All elements are well balanced and provided great enjoyment. Body was quite full with limited filtration and good carbonation.

Phyl21ca, Sep 30, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

A huge thanks to Don for surprising me with this one. Str8 from across the pond! I bet when he shipped it, he didn't think he would be drinking it with me! Batch 6 750ml bottle. I shared this at a tasting. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. (Reviewing from notes)

A- Pours a faint purple color. A 2 finger pink head that recedes to a thin ring. A very beautiful beer.

A- smells of funk and earth. The blueberries are coming through in a big way. It smells very tart!

T- tart blueberries that are followed up by more tart blueberries. At some points I swear I get a brief sweetness coming through. A musty earthy taste is present. Just perfect. I don't know what else to say. This is definitely my favorite lambic to date.

M- on the thinner side of medium. A tart finish that leaves me yearning for another drink.

D- I don't think it could get any better. Simply perfect!

urwithdave, Sep 20, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

HopHead84, Sep 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -17.7%

Night of epic proportions, review #2. Thanks to xpimptastikx for the share! 750ml bottle served in a Meantime snifter.

A big head forms right off the bat, rosy plum-colored, fluffy, cloud-like, not wanting to budge. Hazy is the body of Blåbær, with a deep cranberry hue. The nose is all phenolic funk. A bit too medicinal for my liking, with vinous greenery, fresh vegetation and wet soil.

More phenols in the taste, with Band-Aids galore. Earthy blueberry rinds and vine clippings. Blåbær slowly numbs the tongue as if it were a low-dose application of topical anesthetic. Slightly distracting, but the underlying sourness and tart, fruity finish is where it should be. Carbonation is big and bubbly, rolling around the tongue with a delicate effervescence. Almost too much for me, although this Lambic does calm down as it warms. Glad I got the opportunity to try it, but Blåbær wasn't quite up my ally. Thanks again Michael for sharing this!

wagenvolks, Aug 21, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

A long overdue rating, from notes. Opened by Todes at a little throwdown at Willard's Tap House.

375mL bottle, poured into a wine glass. The appearance was a dense, cloudy purple with some blood-orange highlights. A thin pink head formed and fizzled quickly. I can tell just from looking at this that it is a completely different animal from other fruit lambics.

LOTS going on in the aroma department. Medicinal qualities. Dentist office aromas, followed by band-aids and big berry sweetness. Blueberries fight their way through, with some laffy taffy peaking in also.

Very heavy on the berries with the flavor, and more of the laffy taffy. Nice and tart but by no means bracingly acidic. Well-balanced would be an understatement.

The mouthfeel is probably one of the more unique things about this beer. Very thick, slick and sticky. Lacking the fizzy effervesence of most lambics. I would rate this lower because it doesn't really go along with the style, but the entire experienced was thoroughly enhanced by this aspect.

Super dry and tart but not abrasive, this is uber-drinkable. Thank you sir, may I have another.

McDiddyPop, Aug 14, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6%

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

mikeyv35, Aug 02, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 01, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

ktrillionaire, Jul 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Okay so I decided to pop this one open after a great vacation in San Diego where I got to drink some amazing sours. (Consecration, Red Poppy: draft and bottle, Framboise de Amorosa, and Isabelle Proximus). Had so many great ones this week why the hell not try out the top rated sour?

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with this beer I had been trying to get it forever.

2009 bottle poured 7-11-10 into my Lost Abbey stem glass.

A: I haven't seen many, maybe one or two, beers near this color. It is a deep reddish purple. It poured with about 3 fingers of a fluffy pink head that stayed around for a good while. The head is still lingering around the edges. I give the glass a swirl and it looks like strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Amazing.

S: This one starts off with the familiar sour smell, and a nice fruity tartness. Breathing in deeper reveals a good bit of funk, like sweaty horseblanket barnyard funk. Why does that make it appealing to me? More fruit is showing up now, blueberries, maybe some cranberry.

T: Pretty sour and tart. It has the type of sour that you get from unripe berries, however not really a lot of blueberry but it is there and it is really good. Very sour in the middle, and a very soft touch of blueberries to finish it out.

M: Very smooth.

D: This is a very drinkable sour and... THE MOST FUCKING EPIC SPILL I COULD POSSIBLY EVERY HAVE!! JUST UNDER HALF A GLASS OF BLABAER DEDICATED TO MY CARPET. WTF!

This beer definitely gets a 1 on the "how easy is it to get out of a carpet" category.

BS68280, Jul 12, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

HUGE thanks to Kevin for sharing this much sought after brew! 2009 bottle

A- Body is a dark opaque fuschia hue-haven't seen another beer ever this color. Pours with a 1 finger soapy light pink head which fades to 1/2 finger and has perfect retention from there. Some lacing left behind in the glass.

S- Light notes of vinegar, wild sour blueberry, a light funk, a hint of raspberry and other berries as well. Excellent and balanced.

T- Wow. Very balanced. Sour blueberry, a hint of vinegar, a hint of sour tartness. Finish is slightly sweet and fruity but with a hint of lip-puckering tartness and vinegar. Left to linger are under-ripe berries, a hint of vinegar, and a slight tartness.

M- Carbonation is very light and slightly tingly. Body is light to medium weight, somewhat dry and slightly thin.

D- This is a phenomenal brew. Its very complex and balanced. Almost perfect-but not quite. Overall a great sour blueberry lambic and a brew that deserves to be much sought after.

PittBeerGirl, Jul 06, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well.

cpetrone84, Jun 27, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Made the trek to Copenhagen, to get a couple bottles of batch 6.
I had tried this previously (batch 4), and while I thought it was very good I wasnt blown away. Batch 6, however, was different and this review is for batch 6.

A beautiful dark violet with a nice pinkish/purple 2 finger head.
head dissipates after a little, but leaves a thin light pink layer on the top and there is a bit of lacing

S sour sour sour, funk and leather with a hint of wood and blueberries. perfect mouthwatering sour smell!

T very sour and acetic, the oak comes through and there are definitely some blueberries in the background, tart unripe blueberries. (where i think many sours fail is that they are too acetic and missing the fruit, wood etc flavors) this is an awesomely balanced sour. mouth puckeringly sour, refreshing, smooth with many flavors coming through

M/D wonderful. the balance of this lambic is impressive and makes for a very smooth and enjoyable beer, could drink this all day.

digita7693, Jun 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375ml bottle into a mini-nonic; the capstone of an awesome tasting.

A: Pours a clear, dark purple body underneath a vigorous, frothy light purple head. Crazy. I've never seen a beer this color, and it's amazing.

S: Classic, immense Cantillon funk, including barnyard, mustard, grape, and, yes, blueberries. Incredible.

T: Starts with fruit (blueberry), then gets sour and funky - but restrainedly so. Clean finish. Surprisingly restrained, but thoroughly delectable. So, so good.

M: Fairly light body, yet substantial, with tons of smooth, creamy effervescence. Excellent mouthfeel for a Cantillon especially.

D: I'd kill for more than a quarter of a 375. Extremely balanced for the style and brewery, I would drink this all day every day if I could.

Notes: Huge thanks to Tony for so generously sharing this, and also a shout-out to the amazing trader who threw this in as an extra. Unbelievable. I had no idea when (or if) I'd get to try this beer, and it was the most amazing surprise to see it make an appearance at this tasting. What a way to end an amazing night.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jun 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

PeprSprYoFace, Jun 04, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml bottle (2009 vintage) received in trade with bmanning. Thanks for this huge want Ben. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours the color of concord grape juice with a thick, fluffy purpley pink head of 2-3 fingers that lasts for a little while before falling to a thick, creamy collar and leaving lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - Very interesting. Smells of grapes, raspberries and brett mainly. Lots of interesting funk. Looking for blueberries I don't get fresh fruit, more of a blueberry jam.

T - Blueberries are more subtle than I expected out of this. Extremely tart especially up front and very dry. Layered with funky brett in the middle with some horseblanket and general yeastiness and finishing with some lactic and acetic sourness on the finish. Blueberries are somewhat light, but I keep coming back to the blueberry jam character. As it warms up a bit the fruit really starts to come out (and I get some lemony aspects too) and the tartness becomes less bracing and more well integrated into the overall flavor of the beer. A truly great and interesting beer. As it warms further, I really get left with the fresh blueberry juice flavor I was initially expecting. Very interesting how this beer changes through the range of temperatures - from fridge temp to approaching room temperature.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is medium high. Tart/sour flavors dominate and cause a definite puckering sensation on every sip. A bit of warmth though really does wonders for this beer. The flavors really open up on this turning a "good" sour into a great beer. Wow, warmer temps on this are leaving me very impressed.

D - On first sip, I was a little bit unimpressed by this. The tart and sour nature were overwhelming and masked a lot of the subtleties in this beer. As it warms the true character of this beer really stands out. Jammy and fresh fruit blueberry character becomes very prominent in a very good way. Would love to be able to try this one again, but I won't hold my breath.

portia99, May 31, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting- Split 4 ways. Batch 2009 II.

A: Pours a cranberry red color. 2 fingers of pink head that reduces to a film around the edges of the tulip glass.

S: Really love this intense blueberry and blackberry aroma. can tell there is a lot of acidity and also get some barnyard funk.

T: Lots of blueberry and nice acidity. Good sourness to this. Very well balanced, but not too complex. Very flavorful.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable fruit lambic. Really enjoyed the blueberry aroma and flavor.

boothbeer, May 29, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost.

Beerisheaven, May 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

Gobzilla, May 24, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

Huhzubendah, May 18, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

drabmuh, May 17, 2010