1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,221
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

HUGE thanks to Kevin for sharing this much sought after brew! 2009 bottle

A- Body is a dark opaque fuschia hue-haven't seen another beer ever this color. Pours with a 1 finger soapy light pink head which fades to 1/2 finger and has perfect retention from there. Some lacing left behind in the glass.

S- Light notes of vinegar, wild sour blueberry, a light funk, a hint of raspberry and other berries as well. Excellent and balanced.

T- Wow. Very balanced. Sour blueberry, a hint of vinegar, a hint of sour tartness. Finish is slightly sweet and fruity but with a hint of lip-puckering tartness and vinegar. Left to linger are under-ripe berries, a hint of vinegar, and a slight tartness.

M- Carbonation is very light and slightly tingly. Body is light to medium weight, somewhat dry and slightly thin.

D- This is a phenomenal brew. Its very complex and balanced. Almost perfect-but not quite. Overall a great sour blueberry lambic and a brew that deserves to be much sought after.

PittBeerGirl, Jul 06, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well.

cpetrone84, Jun 27, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Made the trek to Copenhagen, to get a couple bottles of batch 6.
I had tried this previously (batch 4), and while I thought it was very good I wasnt blown away. Batch 6, however, was different and this review is for batch 6.

A beautiful dark violet with a nice pinkish/purple 2 finger head.
head dissipates after a little, but leaves a thin light pink layer on the top and there is a bit of lacing

S sour sour sour, funk and leather with a hint of wood and blueberries. perfect mouthwatering sour smell!

T very sour and acetic, the oak comes through and there are definitely some blueberries in the background, tart unripe blueberries. (where i think many sours fail is that they are too acetic and missing the fruit, wood etc flavors) this is an awesomely balanced sour. mouth puckeringly sour, refreshing, smooth with many flavors coming through

M/D wonderful. the balance of this lambic is impressive and makes for a very smooth and enjoyable beer, could drink this all day.

digita7693, Jun 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375ml bottle into a mini-nonic; the capstone of an awesome tasting.

A: Pours a clear, dark purple body underneath a vigorous, frothy light purple head. Crazy. I've never seen a beer this color, and it's amazing.

S: Classic, immense Cantillon funk, including barnyard, mustard, grape, and, yes, blueberries. Incredible.

T: Starts with fruit (blueberry), then gets sour and funky - but restrainedly so. Clean finish. Surprisingly restrained, but thoroughly delectable. So, so good.

M: Fairly light body, yet substantial, with tons of smooth, creamy effervescence. Excellent mouthfeel for a Cantillon especially.

D: I'd kill for more than a quarter of a 375. Extremely balanced for the style and brewery, I would drink this all day every day if I could.

Notes: Huge thanks to Tony for so generously sharing this, and also a shout-out to the amazing trader who threw this in as an extra. Unbelievable. I had no idea when (or if) I'd get to try this beer, and it was the most amazing surprise to see it make an appearance at this tasting. What a way to end an amazing night.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Jun 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

This is not what I expected. Good but not as good as I thought. I don't think it deserves number 10.

Pours a deep red almost purple color. Nice head and nice lacing.

Aroma is straight funk. Lots of oak and straight lemon barnyard funk. Just how I like them. So far so good.

Taste is fairly bland for such a high rated beer. Not enough sourness and blueberry. Tastes like straight funk. Not impressed really. It's not bad, just kind of a let down.

Mouthfeel is very thin. High carb.

Overall it's not worth what I had to give up. But glad I tried it

PeprSprYoFace, Jun 04, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

750ml bottle (2009 vintage) received in trade with bmanning. Thanks for this huge want Ben. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours the color of concord grape juice with a thick, fluffy purpley pink head of 2-3 fingers that lasts for a little while before falling to a thick, creamy collar and leaving lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - Very interesting. Smells of grapes, raspberries and brett mainly. Lots of interesting funk. Looking for blueberries I don't get fresh fruit, more of a blueberry jam.

T - Blueberries are more subtle than I expected out of this. Extremely tart especially up front and very dry. Layered with funky brett in the middle with some horseblanket and general yeastiness and finishing with some lactic and acetic sourness on the finish. Blueberries are somewhat light, but I keep coming back to the blueberry jam character. As it warms up a bit the fruit really starts to come out (and I get some lemony aspects too) and the tartness becomes less bracing and more well integrated into the overall flavor of the beer. A truly great and interesting beer. As it warms further, I really get left with the fresh blueberry juice flavor I was initially expecting. Very interesting how this beer changes through the range of temperatures - from fridge temp to approaching room temperature.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is medium high. Tart/sour flavors dominate and cause a definite puckering sensation on every sip. A bit of warmth though really does wonders for this beer. The flavors really open up on this turning a "good" sour into a great beer. Wow, warmer temps on this are leaving me very impressed.

D - On first sip, I was a little bit unimpressed by this. The tart and sour nature were overwhelming and masked a lot of the subtleties in this beer. As it warms the true character of this beer really stands out. Jammy and fresh fruit blueberry character becomes very prominent in a very good way. Would love to be able to try this one again, but I won't hold my breath.

portia99, May 31, 2010
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Graduation Sour Tasting- Split 4 ways. Batch 2009 II.

A: Pours a cranberry red color. 2 fingers of pink head that reduces to a film around the edges of the tulip glass.

S: Really love this intense blueberry and blackberry aroma. can tell there is a lot of acidity and also get some barnyard funk.

T: Lots of blueberry and nice acidity. Good sourness to this. Very well balanced, but not too complex. Very flavorful.

M: Light body with medium carbonation.

D: Very drinkable fruit lambic. Really enjoyed the blueberry aroma and flavor.

boothbeer, May 29, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -1.3%

Finally decided to crack one open on Sat night. Needed something to bring some good luck as the Phillies were on their way to being one hit by the BoSox. Opening this little gem didn't help.

A - Maybe the coolest looking beer that I have ever seen. Stouts are either brown, black, or really black. This beer looks like something you would like to see on the best HDTV that you can find. Stunning purple pour into my flute. Really, this is the best looking beer that I have ever seen.

S - Typical profile for Cantillon with tartness and oak coming through first. This is not a blueberry forward beer, but you can smell the skins of the blueberry.

T - Sour up front with oak and sour berry taste. Not the most sour beer that I have had with the taste following the smell largely.

M - A bit thin, more sparkly than anything else.

D - Very easy and sessionable.

Given how hard this is to get and the cost involved, I would probably be happy with multiple bottles of supplication or temptation. The blueberry profile makes it unique, I am just not sure that I will pony up to purchase this one again given the cost.

Beerisheaven, May 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

Gobzilla, May 24, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Brad for sharing this at his tasting on Saturday!

Batch 4.

A: This brew pours a stunning shade of deep blue, bordering on purple, with radiant crimson hues that give the beer a brilliant appearance. Sitting atop the liquid is a thick layer of lilac colored bubbles. The head retention is something to behold. I have never seen a head camp out for this duration of time, most especially on any Cantillon offering. I'm not sure if it's ever going to fade.

S: Distinctive and easily recognizable as Cantillon. Tart fruits and barnyard funk aromas. It's difficult to single out blueberries, though the overall aroma is fantastic.

T: Sour blueberries as fresh as they can be, balanced with enough tartness to make the beer utterly slammable. Wow. This beer is just phenomenal.

M: The feel is a bit on the thin side. If it was perhaps a tad thicker, maybe it could be even more tart and fruity?

D: I truly wish this was more available. Definitely one of the best beers I have ever had.

Huhzubendah, May 18, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Batch 004, thanks Brad. Poured into a tulip glass. Beer is ruby red, hazy, completely beautiful. Forms a pink head (pretty big) of medium bubbles.

Beer is superbly pungent. Tons of sour coming through, acetic and lactic with some funky woodsiness that pulls the whole thing together. I could smell this all day long.

Beer is thin and light in body. Carbonation in the mouth props the body up a bit. Very sour and tart, good fruit character. I could session this all day long. Know where I can get a keg of this stuff? If I had to criticize it I would say it finishes too quickly due to the low body. I know lambics are suppose to attenuate out at a gravity near that of water, this one seemed thinner than others. If it had a little more to it, slightly more body, I feel the fruit would have popped more. Enough complaining though. This was the best lambic I've ever had and would drink it again, buy it again, trade for it again, fly to Europe to buy a bottle.

drabmuh, May 17, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle shared between some fellow BAs. 2009 dated on the bottle.

A - Purple/maroon with reddish hues. Pink fluffy head. Visible blueberry skins in each of our glasses.

S - Sweet fruits at first, but the blueberries really come through as it warms up. Horse blanket funk and citrusy sourness.

T - Sweet fruits from the second it hits my tongue. Blueberries become more pronounced (again as it warms up) in the finish. Sour, sweet, and funky throughout.

M - Creamy, chewy, and fizzy. Great body on this one.

D - Exceptionally drinkable. Could not put this one down and could easily drink a bottle by myself.

muttyd, May 16, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -13.9%

2009 Batch II

A - A very, very dark red. About two fingers of a pinkish head that laced very nicely.

S - Lots of fruity berry goodness, including what seems to be blueberries. Little bit funky with some nice tart sweetness.

T - This was nice, but kind of disappointing given what I was hearing my friends say about it. A buddy of mine drank it with me and he said Batch 1 was significantly better. Has a funky blueberry taste, but not quite as sweet an tart as I was hoping. Little yeasty, and a little bit of heavier flavor than I wanted.

M - Syrupy and medium bodied, slightly creamy, nice carbonation, but would have preferred it a touch lighter.

D - Sweet and unoffensive, so it's pretty easy to drink. Not a session beer so to speak, but an easy drinker.

AgentZero, May 14, 2010

A: Pours an absolutely beautifull dark peach/grapefruit red. A very small amount of light passes through. If you tilt the glass you can definitely see some purple. Almost no head at all on a very coservative pour.

S: Funk and fruits dominate the nose. I dont really pick up on any blueberry, just fruityness in general. The funk is quite strong in the small, its obvious this big boy is going to be a bit sour. This is the best smelling lambic Ive ever tried.

T: wow. Very sour and tart upfront. A bit mouth puckering at first, just the way I like it. The blueberry comes out half way through, especially if you swirl a bit in your mouth. The finish is crisp and refreshing.

D: Perfectly carbonated, just amazing. This is drinking very well right now. I could easily sip on this all night if it wasnt such a whale to get.

I hate to give a beer all 5's, but this is easily the best lambic Ive ever had. One that truely lives up to the hype.

Mag00n, May 12, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010

hayesez, May 10, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge thanks to Sean for busting out this 750 at that insane tasting we will all talk about for years. This is the second of two beers I made sure to note that night.

Pours a bluish/purple with a beautiful, foamy head.

Naturally, lots of blueberries in the nose. Me, not being a sourhead, was a little anxious with this, but I didn't pick up much funk. Just juicy, farm-fresh blueberries. I seem to get more of a mixed berry whiff a bit later. I guess there is a slight vinegary component here but not enough to turn me off.

This is tart! Definitely a tad mouth-puckering. I'm getting oakiness and some leather hits, but I can't separate from those delicious blueberries!

Perfect, medium carbonation. I could drink this all mother loving day. This beer is everything I was led to believe it was. Refreshing, gorgeous, mesmerizing. Dare I say it's a gateway sour? Good luck finding this particular gate again though.

rudylaw, May 08, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Another great beer sent to me by Anders. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

Batch 2009 - II

A- Pours a hazy, dull cranberry / maroon color. Produced two fingers width of off-white head with a pinkish hue. Reduced to a thick ring. Good lacing.

S- Instantly, blueberries just explode into the nostrils...almost have a vinous nature to them. Lots of barnyard funk underneath it all. Really digging this.

T- Much like the aroma. Heavy blueberry flavors upfront with a unique, vinous nature beneath. Almost one dimensional, but balanced out with a building sourness and some funk in the finish.

M- Light bodied with great carbonation. Really easy on the palate.

D- As for as fruit lambics go, this is pretty drinkable. Good overall balance between the blueberries and the acidity.

Overall, one of the better fruited lambics by Cantillon. Recommended if you're a fan of blueberries.

rhinos00, May 06, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

2009 vintage.

Deep blood red garnet hue with a pink head on top. Looks beautiful in the glass. Aromas are bursting with a vibrant mix of fresh blueberry and great funk. Woody with mellow vinegar. Just bursting with wonderfulness.

First sip brings vibrant berry flavors melding beautifully with wood and a mellow funk that's a little tamer than usual for Cantillon. Blueberry is all over the place and the mellow acidity and wood plays in so well. This is incredibly delicious and drinkable and it makes me sad to finish the glass.

Mouthfeel is smooth light and creamy...arid and oh so easy to drink as the acidity is not as overwhelming as most Cantillon's. Just a lovely beer and worthy of the high praises it has received. YUM!

orbitalr0x, May 01, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

2009 batch 2.

This esteemed beverage is purple in the glass, and smells like fresh blueberries and ripe armpits. The taste is blue and berryful. There is also some red wine.

Being six months old, the fruit isn't as full figured as a fresher bottle; blueberries aren't as robust to lambic as cherries, it seems.

Not worlds apart from the Lou Pepe series, but the Danish blueberries are what I'm partial to.

alfrantzell, Apr 26, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Vintage '09. Big thanks to Mr. C for the hook up on this.

This one was a gusher. But luckily I was ready and none of the sweet nectar was lost. Pours a dark, hazy blackberry with a silky purplish head. Truly exceptional color.

Nose has tart berries, damp hay, horse blanket, manure and oak. Doesn't quite have the blueberry presence I was looking for.

Taste is a perfect blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk and wooden wine barrels. Superb balance.

Crisp, refreshing body has a delicate yet brisk carbonation. Dry, sour finish lingers nicely.

This is certainly a beautifull beer, but seems to be on it's way down. The Cantillon funk is slowly starting to take of the wonderfull blueberry flavors. Like any fruit lambic, this is most likely best enjoyed fresh.

rye726, Apr 17, 2010
4.53/5  rDev 0%

375ml bottle from soulforpeanuts, who is the man. Thanks, Rick! This bottle was from Batch 5, I believe, with 2009 and what looks like a 2 printed on the bottle.

Blåbær (I'm still not 100% sure how to say the name of this beer) pours a dark but fairly clear purplish color, really stunning, with a one-finger head that has pinkish hues. This is not the appearance I expected after having had other blueberry beers. I like it a lot.

Aroma is very nice, but not a standout for a Cantillon fruit lambic. Cantillon's signature yeast is ever-present. Bretty funk and lactic notes as well as a substantial blueberry presence.

The flavor is intense sour blueberries (not too sour though) and a little funk. I got some grape flavors in there as well, and definitely some vinegar notes. I poured it out in 3 increments, and I feel like the flavor got more intense toward the bottom of the bottle.

The palate is somewhat typical for a Cantillon fruit lambic, which is to say it's awesome. There's really a great tingling that you get on the mouthfeel that almost chokes you up. That is a very good thing. Body is medium and mouthfeel is lively. Medium level of acidity for the style.

Very drinkable. I kept coming back for another sip, and my girlfriend, who I shared this with, had to get me to slow down so she could have some. What an excellent beer. I don't know if I could rank it over some of the Lou Pepe beers with age on them, but then again, this beer could probably be pretty damn incredible with age too. Looking forward to trying this one again.

nickd717, Apr 17, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -4%

Bottle thanks to callmemickey. I believe this is batch 4 or 5.

Pours solid purple with beautiful pink bubbly head that lingers for minutes. Aroma is easily dominated by blueberry, but has some great lemon and orange along with earthy funk/horse blanket. Taste is mild honey sweetness then great tartness. A little vanilla on the finish but then a lingering blackberry taste on the tongue. Great tartness, well balanced and good carbonation. Another incredible lambic from Cantillon.

ChrisPro, Mar 28, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice.

mbudner, Mar 27, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Small 2009 corked and capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The presentation is gorgeous, with a deep glowing burgundy color, similar to fresh wine, but better, considering the off white, pink stained cap that holds reasonably well despite the soft carbonation.
The aroma is great as well, the blueberries are just an accent, as opposed to some fruit beers that are plain overdone. Funky, leather, sour and acidic notes, some phenol can be noted as well.
Medium bodied, refreshing despite again soft carbonation that does go well with the flavor; this is bone dry, somewhat tart and quite acidic; the blueberries lend a rare slightly sweet note, but it is always dry, tart and acidic. Long and pleasant after taste.
A great beer, wish I had a full case to partake during summer. The fruit here comes the way I like it, as a contributing flavor as opposed to a dominating one obscuring all the good beer notes.

brdc, Mar 19, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

2009 bottle shared by jammalamma. Poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours an insane color! Light purple, hazy/foggy with light pink edges. There is a thin bubbly pink head that fades quickly to a tiny ring around the edges of the glass, leaving barely any lacing.

The smell is tart blueberries first, but they are fleeting and quickly replaced by a more sweet berry note. There is a healthy amount of oak, hay and a bit of vinegar. I can also pick up a bit of caramel or sugared candy sweetness very briefly.

The taste is much more tart than the smell let on. The tart blueberries, hay oak and funk come at you full blast. After the initial tart berry component there is a quick sweet blueberry note, but it's quickly replaced by a hint of vinegar sour and a return of the tart blueberries in the finish.

This one is very well carbonated for the style, not too much or too little, but just right. The beer has a nice dry finish and the flavors are really great, making this one highly drinkable. I would love to get my hands on another bottle. This is one of the few beers that I have had that exceeded my very expectations and all the hype.

rpstevens, Mar 15, 2010