Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,187
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
rye726

Colorado

4.9/5  rDev +8.2%

Vintage '09. Big thanks to Mr. C for the hook up on this.

This one was a gusher. But luckily I was ready and none of the sweet nectar was lost. Pours a dark, hazy blackberry with a silky purplish head. Truly exceptional color.

Nose has tart berries, damp hay, horse blanket, manure and oak. Doesn't quite have the blueberry presence I was looking for.

Taste is a perfect blend of fresh blueberries, barnyard funk and wooden wine barrels. Superb balance.

Crisp, refreshing body has a delicate yet brisk carbonation. Dry, sour finish lingers nicely.

This is certainly a beautifull beer, but seems to be on it's way down. The Cantillon funk is slowly starting to take of the wonderfull blueberry flavors. Like any fruit lambic, this is most likely best enjoyed fresh.

04-17-2010 16:42:22 | More by rye726
nickd717

4.53/5  rDev 0%

375ml bottle from soulforpeanuts, who is the man. Thanks, Rick! This bottle was from Batch 5, I believe, with 2009 and what looks like a 2 printed on the bottle.

Blåbær (I'm still not 100% sure how to say the name of this beer) pours a dark but fairly clear purplish color, really stunning, with a one-finger head that has pinkish hues. This is not the appearance I expected after having had other blueberry beers. I like it a lot.

Aroma is very nice, but not a standout for a Cantillon fruit lambic. Cantillon's signature yeast is ever-present. Bretty funk and lactic notes as well as a substantial blueberry presence.

The flavor is intense sour blueberries (not too sour though) and a little funk. I got some grape flavors in there as well, and definitely some vinegar notes. I poured it out in 3 increments, and I feel like the flavor got more intense toward the bottom of the bottle.

The palate is somewhat typical for a Cantillon fruit lambic, which is to say it's awesome. There's really a great tingling that you get on the mouthfeel that almost chokes you up. That is a very good thing. Body is medium and mouthfeel is lively. Medium level of acidity for the style.

Very drinkable. I kept coming back for another sip, and my girlfriend, who I shared this with, had to get me to slow down so she could have some. What an excellent beer. I don't know if I could rank it over some of the Lou Pepe beers with age on them, but then again, this beer could probably be pretty damn incredible with age too. Looking forward to trying this one again.

04-17-2010 16:38:00 | More by nickd717
ChrisPro

4.35/5  rDev -4%

Bottle thanks to callmemickey. I believe this is batch 4 or 5.

Pours solid purple with beautiful pink bubbly head that lingers for minutes. Aroma is easily dominated by blueberry, but has some great lemon and orange along with earthy funk/horse blanket. Taste is mild honey sweetness then great tartness. A little vanilla on the finish but then a lingering blackberry taste on the tongue. Great tartness, well balanced and good carbonation. Another incredible lambic from Cantillon.

03-28-2010 20:39:12 | More by ChrisPro
mbudner

4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice.

03-27-2010 23:28:43 | More by mbudner
brdc

Wisconsin

4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Small 2009 corked and capped bottle, poured into a tulip.

The presentation is gorgeous, with a deep glowing burgundy color, similar to fresh wine, but better, considering the off white, pink stained cap that holds reasonably well despite the soft carbonation.
The aroma is great as well, the blueberries are just an accent, as opposed to some fruit beers that are plain overdone. Funky, leather, sour and acidic notes, some phenol can be noted as well.
Medium bodied, refreshing despite again soft carbonation that does go well with the flavor; this is bone dry, somewhat tart and quite acidic; the blueberries lend a rare slightly sweet note, but it is always dry, tart and acidic. Long and pleasant after taste.
A great beer, wish I had a full case to partake during summer. The fruit here comes the way I like it, as a contributing flavor as opposed to a dominating one obscuring all the good beer notes.

03-19-2010 13:19:32 | More by brdc
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.68/5  rDev +3.3%

2009 bottle shared by jammalamma. Poured into a mini goblet. The beer pours an insane color! Light purple, hazy/foggy with light pink edges. There is a thin bubbly pink head that fades quickly to a tiny ring around the edges of the glass, leaving barely any lacing.

The smell is tart blueberries first, but they are fleeting and quickly replaced by a more sweet berry note. There is a healthy amount of oak, hay and a bit of vinegar. I can also pick up a bit of caramel or sugared candy sweetness very briefly.

The taste is much more tart than the smell let on. The tart blueberries, hay oak and funk come at you full blast. After the initial tart berry component there is a quick sweet blueberry note, but it's quickly replaced by a hint of vinegar sour and a return of the tart blueberries in the finish.

This one is very well carbonated for the style, not too much or too little, but just right. The beer has a nice dry finish and the flavors are really great, making this one highly drinkable. I would love to get my hands on another bottle. This is one of the few beers that I have had that exceeded my very expectations and all the hype.

03-15-2010 02:54:53 | More by rpstevens
Thorpe429

4.55/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage.

A: Poured a deep ruby with a nice light ruby head that left a bit of lacing on its way down.

S: Quite a bit of lactic sourness, without much vinegar smells coming through like with Saint Lamnivus. Definitely quite a few blueberry notes marking their way in. A little bit of sweetness.

T: Quite a bit of acidity, but nothing too overwhelming like several other beers coming from Cantillon. The blueberry taste is simply astounding, blending beautifully with the sweet, tart sourness. The blueberry flavor is quite unique and pungent, tasting almost like crushed blueberries that had previously been frozen, as opposed to fresh blueberries.

M: Beautiful acidity balanced against a lovely fruit aroma--very well done.

D: Very, very nice. Wish this had been a 750 as opposed to a 375. Exceptionally thrilled that I got to try this one out.

03-08-2010 04:15:51 | More by Thorpe429
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

02-21-2010 18:40:22 | More by Bitterbill
vacax

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%

Dark purple in color, reminiscent of a Merlot in the body. Dense head is pinkish red with high retention despite having flecks of blueberry in it. Delightful in appearance. Aroma of finest Belgian style funk, Cantillon signature, with added presence of lilac, berries, and cattiness. As much as I love blueberries, they are not the most aromatic fruit out there. The flavor is classically funky with dark fruits, cherry, currants, and a tart berry finish. Medium in body with a smooth higher level of carbonation as expected. This is quite a tasty beer, indeed, though I still prefer Fou Foune or Lou Pepe Kriek or Framboise. The only thing truly exceptional about this beer is about how difficult it is to get.

02-14-2010 18:58:04 | More by vacax
Patrick999

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

02-14-2010 16:22:58 | More by Patrick999
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.75/5  rDev +4.9%

Review #700

2009 Vintage (don't know the batch#) thanks to Mikesgroove for this one.

After I took of the cap, the cork slowly rose up, which I thought was weird. I didn't even need a cork screw and it popped off like a rocket and hit the ceiling.

Poured into Lost Abbey tulip.

Pours a massive fluffy raspberry pink head. Fades to a thin layer and decent retention from there. Leaves some splattered lace. Color is a dark blackberry purple. Very nice looking beer.

Aroma: Wow, this is funky. Lots of sour acidic flavors. Leather and horse blanket. This beer is very funky and mouth watering. I get a nice amount of oak along with a decent amount of blueberries. It is smelling very fine.

Taste: This beer is very sour and acidic. A decent amount of vinegar flavors. I also get some cough syrup light flavors which I find to be odd. Lots of leather and horse blanket, maybe even some tobacco. Lots of oak flavors. If I didn't know it, it would be hard to pick out the blueberries. I get more dry cherry flavors. A very nice beer, but it isn't what I was expecting.

Mouthfeel: Sour with some tartness. Nothing compared to some of their other sours in terms of sourness. Medium bodied with a decent amount of carbonation. Ends dry and oaky relatively sweet.

Overall, this is a solid beer, just nothing I was really expecting. I am really glad I got to try it, but I would be hard to trade off a bunch to try another bottle. Definitely worth a try. Pretty drinkable. I won't have a problem with this 375. I dig it. Very unique.

EDIT: After trying a fresh 2010 batch shared generously by kbutler1, I have come to realize why everyone loves this beer so much. Fresh blueberries dominate the nose and the taste on this batch. It has the perfect amount of sour and funk blend. It is very drinkable. This is a beer that needs to be drank fresh! The blueberries show much more and makes it a real treat.

02-03-2010 01:45:12 | More by mothman
womencantsail

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Enormous thanks go out to mikesgroove for sending me this bottle in a recent trade. Shared with a few friends at a tasting yesterday.

This review is of a Batch 4 bottle (2009)

A: The pour is a fantastic looking deep purple color with a fluffy pink head on top.

S: The nose is certainly very fruity, but I don't necessarily detect a lot of blueberries. There are some great cherry, raspberry, and a mixture of other tart berries. There is also a lot of lactic tartness, but not as much in the way of funk or wood as you usually expect from Cantillon.

T: Like the nose, the fruit is really the star of the show in this beer. A mix of indistinguishable tart berries really hits you up front. The oak comes through a bit more in the flavor, but is not overpowering. While I had been noting a lack of blueberry flavor, they really come out on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full with a nice tingly carbonation on the tongue.

D: This is one of the most fruit forward lambics/wild ales I've come across. I really enjoyed the balance of the fruit and the traditional funk and sourness.

02-01-2010 17:48:53 | More by womencantsail
alcstradamus

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

2009 release, not sure if it is Batch 4 or 5

Pours an absolutely ridiculous color...beautiful deep red/purple with a half finger of pink head. Possibly the most unique looking beer I've ever seen.

Smell is tart berries up front. I personally wouldn't be able to identify it as blueberry if I didn't already know. Some cobwebs creep in reminding you that this is a Cantillon beer sitting there. The fruitiness continues to build as it warms.

The taste is surprisingly subdued in the tart/funk departments. Blueberries and wild cherries are the dominant flavor. Oak is definitely noticeable. A very balanced lambic from a brewery who is usually quite brash. Tasty for sure though.

Mouthfeel is medium to full with a tiny bit of carbonation sting and a very dry finish. This beer is definitely very good, but I would be curious to see how other batches compare. This one was tasty, but not a standout.

01-21-2010 23:06:54 | More by alcstradamus
jrallen34

4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

I drank this 2009 version, not sure which batch(I'm guessing 4), from a 22oz bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pours a deep grape jelly colored purple with a nice medium pink head. The head rises about 3 fingers and is very creamy and soft with great retention and lace. Probably the best head I've seen in a lambic.

The aroma is medium with mostly tartness coming through, some horse blanket mostly. Its nice because you get the funkiness you're looking for but not so overpowering that you get tired of it. At the end you get a little sweetness, but not much blueberry.

The taste is great, its super complex and well balanced. It starts soft and sweet and highly drinkable, towards the middle and end it evolves to have nice tartness. Once again, like the aroma it gets you the tartness you desire in drinking a lambic but not so overpowering that you can't drink a ton. At the end you finally get some blueberry mixed with a final tart goodbye.

The feel is nice and heavy with a lasting feel.

The drinkability is off the scale.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. From the taste I'm guessing its batch four because its balanced with sweet and funk. A lot of top beers don't live up to the hype but this one certainly does.

01-20-2010 02:26:45 | More by jrallen34
sleepydave

Vermont

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

Edit, almost forgot 2009 bottle unsure of batch # at the moment...but judging from the quick notes at that other beer site, I would guess I have batch #4.

First let me preface by saying I grew up on a 44 acre Cattle and Horse farm that had wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild apples, wild blackberries, wild pears, and a few other little goodies growing on the property. And I believe it's that reason that I truly love this brew.

I poured directly from the fridge into a Lindemans tulip (how many of you want to kill me for that?). Pours wonderfully, although quite hazy. This could be the fridge more than the beer though. For some reason my fridge always tends to chill haze lambics and gueuze.

A dark mix of garnet and deep violet create almost a mahogany color topped with a very interesting head. It has this amazingly pink center that fades ever so gradually down a hue to a whiter pink on the edges. As an artist I find this color ramping to be sublime.

Initial impressions on the nose are a vinergary tartness but it actually feels as though it's alive. The tartness level literally felt like it curled inward progressively. I loved it. The usual funk/barnyardy smells are present and make a strong showing which then seem to literally morph into a wild blueberry tartness. And I swear I pickup some stinky cheese (but a good stink) about midway through the nose.

Still chilly at this moment. I definitely taste the cheesiness in the middle to the end. Some more vinegary notes compliment the odd cheesiness well. The blueberries are almost a flash at this temperature. The tartness increases towards the middle with the fruit flavor literally flicking your tongue on initial taste.

The fruit flavor is sublime to say the least. If you like wild berries, this is just amazing. Dominated by wild blueberry, with some flavors/consitencies that seem like the skins as well with a slight grapefruit tartness. I can best describe the wild blues as to me, tasting like a grapefruit with a light zesting of lemon rind, perhaps a drip or two of fresh lime juice.

---
As it is now rounding the recommended temp I feel I should divulge further.

So much more wild blueberries on the nose. The smell has almost become the inverse of what it was. Now the cheese is playing the low and slow role. It hints in the front, but the blues now dominate from middle to end.

While intriguing cold, this is now changing into a wild blue bomb. Cheese & vinegar await you the second you swallow, but I am just blown away by the wild blue flavors. Also picking up some very subtle oaky notes in the front of the smell.

Mouthfeel appears to thin a little as it warms, but it coats your mouth so wonderfully I couldn't give it a lower score. It seems to clean itself up so well as it travels.

The aftertaste is no longer in the middle of the tongue as it was earlier (I swear it stuck dead center with the berry-ness). It now is a clawing sourness that I love more than anything. Literally feels as if there are two hands clasping the sides of my tongue. Loving this, extremely pleasant.

Sorry for the book, this is my first review and I have literally two pages of notes and feelings about this particular brew.

Thank you Cantillon and Jepe!

I prefer gueuze in most situations, but I find myself unable to put this down and not think about it, although I'm sure rarity and excitement play into that here's the real reason...

Directly quoted from my notes:

"This farm boy is practically time traveling to a simpler year. Cliche I know, but honestly I am awash with feelings and memories of growing up on the farm. Barefoot through the grass, eating handfuls of wild fruits, running with the horses as a child...Highly recommended to ANY country folk, I'm curious if this brew envokes anything similiar for the city dwellers. I could literally smell and daydream all day with this beer in hand!"

01-15-2010 07:59:23 | More by sleepydave
JohnGalt1

Idaho

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

01-12-2010 10:47:38 | More by JohnGalt1
Arbitrator

4.65/5  rDev +2.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass (2009 vintage I believe). Shared jointly by Chad, Craig, and Jeff at Jeff's recent sour tasting. Thanks, guys.

A: Pours a murky reddish magenta body. The pour develops a finger of frothy pink head that retains moderately before lapsing into a thick collar.

S: Blueberries, funk (horse, barnyard), some lacto, oak, and leather. As I was taking these notes, I thought to myself that I liked St. Lamvinus better... In transcribing them, I'm not sure I'd still say that.

T: Tart blueberries, but I can see why Chad said they taste more like a reddish berry of some kind. It doesn't *quite* taste like fresh blueberries, unlike other fruit lambic varieties. Maybe something about the harvest for this particular beer, or the way blueberries work in this beer? Who knows. Hints of citrus. The sourness is a restrained lactic presence with some grape-like vinegar. Most of the wild flavor is funk and barnyard; the finish is VERY leathery with a mild astringency.

M: Medium-bodied, with low carbonation. Semi-dry. It cleans up pretty well, but it does start to coat the mouth.

D: This beer is immensely drinkable against some other Cantillon varieties that are intensely acetic or dry. This delivers the flavor without being so extreme that it becomes tough to finish. Cleans up well for the most part. Goes down too easily, almost.

01-12-2010 04:13:12 | More by Arbitrator
corby112

4.8/5  rDev +6%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

01-10-2010 01:21:44 | More by corby112
ShareANevada

4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Generously shared by Darren, of the Belmont crew. Always a class act.

Pours a really intriguing purple pink, and the reflected color in the head is just delightful. Just a gorgeous beer.

The smell is where the concentration gets sucked in. Fairly aggressive nose, letting loose that blue pungence, it is hard to remove ones nose from the glass.

While the smell comes off pretty strong, the taste was quite a bit more mellow to me. Not as sour as one might expect, though this was likely a more recent vintage. Nonetheless, the sourness was very pleasant, and did let the light blueberry flavor shine through, though not as strong as one might expect from this. Some heavy phenols present in this one.

Being urbanites, we all agreed that we could relate the rich funk to a phone booth, as we have few horseblankets for reference around here.

All in all, quite a satisfying beer, and a real treat. Does it live up to the hype? Welll.... grain of salt. World class beer, just not sure I would trade my little sister for one.

01-08-2010 19:16:43 | More by ShareANevada
younger35

4.22/5  rDev -6.8%

Received this brew from beerbeagle in a recent trade. I love fruit sours and apparently this is a damn good one. Plus I really love blueberry. Popped in honor of Boise State to watch them win the Fiesta Bowl AGAIN vs. TCU.

Review #650

Batch 4 bottled 2009.

Appearance- Pours a dark purple pinkish with a beautifully light pink and creamy one finger head. A perfect cap and collar (almost a half finger) remain the entire beer but unfortunately not a lot of lacing.
Smell- Definitely has that somewhat recognizable Cantillon smell. It's vinegary and tart with more of a Lambic kick than an actual berry kick. That's not to say the blueberry isn't noticeable though. It's unmistakably blueberry although I do get a bit of rhubarb and raspberry. A bit of worn leather and sweat adds a small amount of funk. It definitely smells WAY more sour and tart than funky. My mouth is watering awaiting my first sip.
Taste- Starts with a light bit of an acidic kick and a somewhat puckering quench. Definitely not as sour as I was expecting as the fruit isn't all that sour and the beer is still fairly tame. There is a light lactic twang under there though don't get me wrong. The beer is fairly tannic as the quench is woody and lightly vanillin. I'd even say there is a slightly red grape like vinous character to the beer but its way less than others I've tried. As it warms though the fruit in the beer does kick up slightly but it's still fairly light. A lingering dirtiness with a bit of tobacco and fungus.
Mouthfeel- Definitely one of the heavier bodies I've felt on a Lambic as it's damn near creamy. A semi aggressive kick of carbonation is prevalent the entire beer.
Drinkability- So this beer wasn't exactly what I was expecting or hoping for as the blueberries are fairly light and the beer is fairly tame. I know it'll sour up more as time goes on but for now it's very easy drinking. Too bad this wasn't such a bitch to get or I'd grab another bottle to sit on for a year or so. Thanks much Randell!

01-07-2010 22:33:06 | More by younger35
khiasmus

South Carolina

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

Many thanks to Wespatrick.

A red-velvet cake, they're her favorite you know, and a lovely day for a celebration, all velvety and purplish... Only a couple soap-bubbles there, a still, beautiful maroon but blueish, like that dress at our first wedding, but no not that blueish, more of an old worn-out sweater that's so comfortable and makes me want to hold her close.
There are my old friends, the bugs, the lacto and pedio and sacchar... and my buddy Brett, of course. but they all pale in comparison. She is beautiful. There is a blueberry aroma, a true... like the purple ice cream you used to love, luscious. Creamy vanilla in there too, all of this overwhelmed by the sour, mind you. And a kiss that takes my breath away.
The flavour, a deep, heavy sour, so sour, so puckering... does anyone know before this what fermented blueberries really taste like? This is peculiar.... and exceptional.
My wits come back to me and I stare into her eyes... where did you come by this, my love? I simply have to wonder at the depth of your eyes, their fire, their beauty. And blueberries... it's going to stain my mouth, I'll be purple, everyone will know... but no matter. my heart is yours. So sour it's surprising, with a deep flavour of blue, the colour of blue, the essence.
A surprisingly full body, and of course oh-so-attractive in shape (you are beautiful my love!) and dry. Super-dry in the finish, and a light sweetness in the background that is completely overcome by the massive cocktail of sour.
I simply can't have you all the time, but you are lovely, and one day... It is wonderful. It truly deserves every bit of its reputation. And I am the luckiest man in the world.

01-07-2010 03:16:42 | More by khiasmus
7ways

Georgia

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 4 375ml bottle courtesy of and split with beeruser.

Had a serious "oh shit" moment opening this beer. After he took off the cap, we could see foam coming up around the side of the cork. Oh shit... But upon removing the cork, there was delayed reaction gushing. Luckily almost all made it into our glasses, and the head settled to a 1cm crown for the duration of the experience. Very impressive, but no lace. The color was amazing. Striking deep purplish body with an almost sickly pink and purple head. Smelled like typical Cantillon funk/vinegar with blueberry, blackberry, and old shit thrown in. Yeah.
This is the first blueberry beer I've ever had where I could taste the blueberry enough to truly identify and appreciate it.
Not nearly as sour or acidic as I had expected. Classic Gueze, Kriek, and Gambrinus were more sour to me. Started out tart, and transitioned to blueberry on the finish. At least at first. Halfway through my glass, essence of citrus, earth, grapes, blueberries, and funk weaved themselves together with no regard for my dumb ass trying to keep up with it. Unbelievable complexity. Medium mouthfeel, carbonation kind of reminds your tongue of it's role in life. Smooth finish, somewhat dry, and lingers just enough for you to want another and another.

Truly amazing beer, but not one of a kind. I could (and probably will) give a review very similar to this one to Vigneronne, Classic, and especially St. Lamvinous. It's not miles ahead of any of those. But it is miles ahead of the competition.

01-02-2010 23:15:30 | More by 7ways
callmemickey

4.85/5  rDev +7.1%

Shared my bottle with a few fellow BAs the other night. We opened this up last after cracking bottles of Black Tuesday, FW 13 and a few other beers. This was the perfect end to the night and was really a nice contrast to the big brews from earlier in the night.

2009 375ml bottle poured three-ways into champagne flutes.

A: Rich reddish-purple body with a lively, bubbly pink head. Held on for quite some time before receding. Never quite died down though. Nice sticky, spotty lacing.

S: Bold, sweet blueberries. Light funky-tartness. Subtle vinegar undertones.

T: Absolutely incredible. The blueberries here are very refined. In general they give off a slightly sweet character, but are deliciously tart and sour as well. There is a nice lambic acidity that contributes an earthy, vinegar funk to round out this delightful beverage.

M: Light bodied with a nice effervescent, yet restrained carbonation level. Smooth with a nice crisp dry finish. The only knock on this here is the blueberry sludge, which I am assuming is left over blueberry skins which settled into the last sip of the glass. Slightly off putting, but a marginal flaw at most.

D: Out of this world. This really was a treat. To cap off the tasting with this was a superb decision. Now I just have to find more ammo to get more of this!

01-01-2010 06:40:06 | More by callmemickey
ffejherb

4.13/5  rDev -8.8%

Thanks to FooFaa for saving this bottle for a special occasion and sharing on 12/30/09.

A - Poured an opaque, deep violet-colored body with light pinkish head that retained very well, leaving behind some foamy lace, which stuck to the sides of the flute.

S - Tart blueberry character with a hint of fruity sweetness, a subtle band-aid character and spicy notes. There's also plenty of wood and oaky tannins, giving the aroma a hint of astringency.

T - Initial flavor is indeed quite tart (as the aroma had forewarned) with a subtle band-aid character and some spicy notes. A very slight fruity sweetness manages to overcome the intense sourness, but is gone just as quickly as it appears. Finishes with lots of woody astringency.

M - Medium bodied with a warm mouthfeel and moderate carbonation. Prepare for your palate to be doused with a wash of astringency, resulting in a major pucker fest.

D - Definitely one of the most drinkable Cantillon beers, I found this to be not as brash as some of the others I've had in the past, probably due to the addition of the blueberries. While this was still quite sour, it also had a slight sweet character and plenty of woody notes to quell the intense tartness, even if only slightly.

12-31-2009 19:51:05 | More by ffejherb
atis

Finland

4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

2009 vintage, 375 ml bottle.

Pours hazy red, the colour reminds me of cranberry juice with slightly effervescent head that fades almost immediately, it looks quite attractive. Aroma seems to be intense vinegary with some wild fruit in the background.

Taste is crazy tartness, I think I have never tasted anything like that. Flavour certainly has got more fruity feeling than smell. Medium-dry finish; mouthfeel is light with light carbonation, excellent drinkability.

Although I liked the beer I can not say it was amazing. Mostly because I did not feel those blueberries I expected neither in smell, neither in taste, if they were there it was certainly too subtle.

12-31-2009 14:59:44 | More by atis