Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,249
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
4.45/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2009 vintage, 375ml bottle graciously shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a turbid, purple-hued burgundy color with a thin lavender head that hangs around the collar. Very acetic and vinegary on the nose with strong tart blueberry and cherry notes. Decent amount of funk, leather and minerality. Taste is also quite acetic with strong tart blueberry and cherry flavors along with lighter earthy funk and mineral. Pours near the bottom of the bottle have more blueberry flavor and more barnyard funk. Ample carbonation and a medium-bodied mouthfeel. Lightly sweet on the finish relative to other Cantillon lambics. Pretty drinkable - the 375 disappeared way too fast. Really great stuff overall.

WeisGuy, Jan 19, 2011
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2009 bottle 375, first Cantillon rating after having multiple of there offerings multiple times.

A- wow, what a great looking pour. Cloudy purple, pinkish blue. Have never seen a beer this color. Nice one finger pink/cream head
S- The smell really through me off on this. The first wiff is of Band Aids and it was pretty prominent. As it opens up with some movement, that subsides and is replaced by fresh blueberries. The more it sits and breaths, the more the blueberries start to make an appearance. There is a light tart smell to it and small red berry aroma as well.
T- Slightly sour up front with a fresh blueberry puree finish. That sums up the taste of this one, from start to finish that is what I got.
M-This is a thick lambic. It is still relatively a light bodied beer but has some weight to it. It has a dry finish, leaving you mouth yearning for more.

Overall, I am really glad that I got to taste this much sought after Whale of mine. I would love to get more. This is one of a kind as far as the sours that I have had. I would love to open a new batch bottle to see what its like and to see if that Band Aid smell was just part of the aging on the one i had.

GradyS1, Jan 15, 2011
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

Happy New Year's Eve. This is how I'm starting off my night. 2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware.

It poured a deep purple color with the head and bubbles showing a pink or very light purple hue to them. The head retreated to the edges where it remained for a good while. Loved the colors it had to it.

The aroma has a very nice sourness to it without being overly acidic. Some of the berries show through nicely as well. It has a bit of a funky, basement like quality to it that adds to the tart sourness of the fruit. Complex and appealing aroma overall.

The taste starts out with a moderate acidic tartness. The blueberries start to come through next with a tart and sour flavor to them. It has a kind of a musty flavor throughout it as well. In the finish the blueberries come back and linger with some nice sourness to them. Excellent flavor and nice complexity to it.

The mouthfeel is medium to maybe a little heavy for the style. Carbonation is moderately sharp, but maybe a bit below average for the style. The mouthfeel worked very well for the beer overall.

The drinkability is excellent, it had some great flavors and complexity to it and was a great way to start the evening. It paired very nicely with a few good cheeses we had as well. Excellent beer overall and definitely one of the best if not the best fruit based sour beers I've had.

billab914, Jan 01, 2011
4.05/5  rDev -10.6%

2009 bottle. Pours a deep, opaque blood red with a really pretty cotton candy, rosy head that settled into a soapy haze. So pretty. Tart and acidic on the nose. Has a soft element that I really liken to 3 Fonteinen Hommage at about 1 year. Soft blueberries and raspberries. Pretty meaty. Soft and quite well integrated in the mouth. Deep blueberry skins and stems abound. A little foresty, pretty wild, quite rich. Brett isn't huge though it's quite sour and funky. Oak and soft acids are in the forefront along with the sour wild blueberries. Really enjoyable.

JAXSON, Dec 13, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #300 and my first ever Cantillon. 375ml bottle, 2009 vintage, poured into AVBC snifter.

A: Pours an opaque dark purple with a billowing soft looking bright pink head that took forever to slowly fade into a thick fuzzy film. This has got to be one of the coolest and most interesting colored beers I've seen.
S: Complex and tart notes of lemon zest, mixed berries, and bretty funk. Smells like un-ripened red berries sitting on top a bale of hay that is left in a damp basement.
T: Not as tart or sour as I was expecting. Rather sweet actually. Blueberry juice flavors mix well with a musty attic notes and some acidic hints of citrus. Aftertaste is full of sour grapefruit or lemon pith. Flavors are all well integrated and mellow enough so that not one aspect dominates.
M: Carbonation froths up on the palate over the medium body and rich, soft mouthfeel. Finish is pretty dry, but not intensely so, with a fair amount of gritty tannins. Very refreshing. The light tartness doesn't overpower any of the delicate fruit flavors.
D: Overall a very good beer with great flavor and mouthfeel, but not one that I feel I would ever need to seek out again. This is great, yes, but there are plenty of easier to get beers that are just as good. Don't get me wrong though, this is pretty world class.

scottfrie, Dec 04, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -16.6%

2010 - 37.5cl bottle

Red wine appearance. Pink head.

Funky brett and acidic aroma. Super tart red berry flavors. Almost smells like a framboise. Some off band-aid scent.

Tart berries up front on the palate. Think very sour blueberries with no sweetness. Bone dry brett flavor with that band-aid after taste.

Almost didn't enjoy this because of the band-aid off flavor but then it went away after taking a few sips thanks to the acidity leveling my tastebuds. Flavor was short-lived on the palate. Very enjoyable but I liked the '09 better. It was fruitier, which is something I was hoping for in a fresh batch.

BearsOnAcid, Dec 04, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -5.1%

The 2005 Cantillon Blåbær poured a clear, golden orange amber. It looked like beautiful sparkling resin. It smelled like slightly sweet grape, touch of berry, touch of cereal and horseblanket funky sour. It tasted incredibly sour, pucker lemon, funky-cole-madina, lots of oak with a touch, and I mean a touch of berry. It was good. I was aching for a bit more fruit; but don't get me wrong, Cantillon has an amazing capacity to create incredible back-of-your-throat sour lemon puckers, which a lot of people love and crave. And it was good; I just wanted a bit more complexity and fruit flavor like in some of their other beers.

The 2007 Cantillon Blåbær Batch II poured the most beautiful color I have ever seen in a beer. I wanted to just stare at it all night long. It was this incredibly sparkling, brilliant ruby red with a touch of aubergine. Absolutely gorgeous. It smelled like a bucket of tart blueberries. It tasted like tart cranberries, tart blueberries, oak and back of your throat pucker sour. This had the complexity I was looking for. The beer starts tart to sour and then metamorphose into ripe and tart blueberries with the oak rounding out the transition. Beautiful. Elegant.

The 2009 Cantillon Blåbær was the weakest link of the evening. It poured a cloudy, murky mahogany. It smelled like mulled cider mixed with berry pie. It tasted a little apple cider-y, with hint of cinnamon, sour green apple and cranberry. It was not much to my liking, but it actually helped when it was paired with dessert.

femALEist, Nov 27, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

375ml bottle, compliments of billab914. Hats off to you, Bill for hooking me up with an elusive brew. 2009 bottle...not sure what batch it was because I couldn't read the scribble those Belgium's wrote on the side of the bottle. Poured into my town hall snifter:

A - A murky purple with nice amount of foam and nice signs of carbonation. The color reminds me of the innards of blueberry pie or a light grape juice.

S - Faint blueberries and a bit of band-aid and barnyard funk. Some citrus notes as well.

T - Flawless. Sour blueberries and bits of hay. Acidic and tannins that make my jaw lock up a bit. Very good stuff.

M - Nice and crisp. Light velvet.

D - Could drink it all the time. I've tried so hard to land this brew and now that I've had the chance to try it I can die a happy man (someday.) I don't know if I'd trade half my cellar for a bottle but worth seeking if you have the means. Thanks again Bill for the chance to try this!

joshuaseresse, Nov 24, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

Thank you joshuaseresse for sharing his 375mL bottle at our recent La Crosse tasting!

A: an extraordinary indigo color that had little-to-no head with a little bit of sediment.

S: a blast of sour fruits, primarily dark, such as blueberries and plus with clear hints of brett. made my mouth water...

T: an explosion of tartness that made my jaw lock up for a second, which perfectly kept the flavors of blueberry, plum, and oak on my taste buds. wonderful citrusy flavors on the exhale as well.

MF/D: the carbonation and tartness pickles the tongue, but is certainly something i will attempt to try again. i wish i lived in belgium...

newk340, Nov 23, 2010
4.35/5  rDev -4%

Thanks Spencer!

750ml Batch 5 2009

Dark plum in color with a tan pinkish head that retains lightly in a ring at the edge.

Funky berry nose that comes through sort of sweet and sour.

Puckering and dry. Vinegar like with tons of berry flavor. I caught a touch of sweetness in the flavor as well but not many other people at the tasting did. Maybe it was something I had on my palate from before tasting this one. None the less a very good flavor overall.

Medium-light mouthfeel with some ok carbonation. Not very impressive on this front.

Pretty fairly drinkable but not outrageous here either.

I am eager to try Batch 2 of this beer. From what I hear that is a real treat!

Habmike, Nov 21, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Review #800!

From 11/05/10 notes. Had at a small tasting thanks to ygtbsm94; huge thanks to Brad for sharing this very sought after beer! Bottle is from Batch 3, 2007 Vintage.

a - Pours a reddish amber color with two inches of fluffy white head that has excellent rentention and leaves a little bit of lacing and light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart blueberry, sour fruits, brett, and oak. The blueberries aren't overpowering, which makes it wonderful to smell and enjoy.

t - Tastes of blueberry, sour fruit, yeast, and brett. Hints of oak as well, but not as much as the smell. The tart blueberries come through a little more in the taste than the smell, but again, pretty amazing.

m - Medium body and low carbonation, very smooth and crazy drinkable. A little bit tart but not too lip puckering, which allows it be be drank easily. Perfect mouthfeel.

d - Wow, what an amazing beer. At 5% ABV, I feel like I could drink a whole bottle of this and still want more. I'm not just marking this up due to rarity; this is one of the best beers I've ever had and if you like blueberries as I do, you'll love this one. We tried various sours at the tasting, including LeBleu and Crianza Helena and I enjoyed this one more than both of them; I came home the next day and immediately tried to trade for a bottle. Would love to have again sometime and truely worth the hype.

mdfb79, Nov 09, 2010

2009 bottle. Had this at the bottle share at the Pour House after the FW14 release party. Big thanks to the generous BA that brought this. Unfortunately all the beer drinking somewhat fogged my memory regarding his name.

Pours a beautiful light pinkish purple with a very small head that laces ever so slightly.

Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries. Some nice citrus notes as well (ruby red grapefruit comes to mind).

This was much more funky than I had anticipated. The nose doesn't seem to have this same grassy funk, but it really hits your palate and its oh so beautiful. Tart, sour, and very very complex. The flavors just layer between blueberries, sourness, funk.

Well carbonated that allows the blueberries to just pop on your tongue.

I could drink this all day. Very very drinkable. I would love to pair this beer with a nice fruit dessert.

teamizm, Nov 08, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Special thanks to Brad (aka. ygtbsm94) for bringing this very high profile brew to an awesome tasting!

Vintage 2007; Batch 3

A: Red/Purple color with tons of yeast floaties, a very small frothy head, which dissipated quickly, except for the suds which stayed gathered in the corners throughout the session.

S: Fresh sour blueberries. Brett?

T: Sweetness bleached out by tons of pepper. The sourness reminds could best be described as blueberry "Sour Patch Kids" candy. I eventually took a sip and held it in my mouth for a few seconds. When I did this...wow.... pepper city!

M: Like I stated before, peppery. Also, the cushion of yeast props up the taste better than any other beer I've ever tasted.

D: Remarkable! This is truly a wow beer and it doesn't get much better. It's one of those beers that I will always remember tasting.

Chaney, Nov 07, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle. Cork says bottled in 2010. Pours a really nice slightly hazes purple color with a pinkish head that both coasters and collars around the glass. Classic cantillon aroma with sour/tart notes but with the addition of subtle blueberries. Slight barnyard as well. Light mouhfeel with good carbonation. Starts sweet upfront with subtle blueberries and lemon zest. Not mouth puckering but for sure both sour and tart. Some barn type flavors as well. No real alcohol flavors. I can see why people chase this beer down as it is exceptionally good. I feel bad having to take this off my gots as this is my only one.

kbutler1, Nov 01, 2010
4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

375 ml 2009 bottle split between two tulips and shared with fellow BA Danny at his place in North San Diego County.

Pours a blue-purple with more of a head than most Cantillons I've had the opportunity to sample. The light pinkish-lavender hued head settles quickly but leaves a thick ring around the edges of the glass for the entire tasting.

The lambic funky aroma is very strong but anchored in place surprisingly well by the very clearly defined fruity blueberry notes. The style requisite tart character really works well with this particular fruit.

Blueberry flavors are much stronger on this bottle than I thought based on the observations shared with me by others who have tried it. Acidic, sweet, and oak barrel flavors are perfectly in balance. I'm glad I tried this relatively fresh because although it wasn't as funky as some aged Cantillon bottles I've tried I really enjoyed how much the fruit flavor was intact.

I almost expected a letdown on this brew because of some of the rarity induced hype but this is very impressive even for a Cantillon and among the best beers I've ever tried. Hopefully I can land some more in the near future.

berkey, Oct 31, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

A HUGE thank you to schen9303 for sharing this one. 2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and caged bottle into a Duchess wine glass. The 100th reviewer for this rarity!

A: Gentle pour yields a .5 finger fine, pink colored head with moderate retention that fades into a thin wisp that lingers atop a cloudy, near opaque, deep purple brew. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Not much to look at but very appropriate for the style which is nearly still and unfiltered.

S: Nose is immensely oaky and fruity. Blueberries linger in the background and create a nice, sweet backdrop. Oak and barrels are upfront and a subtle tartness tickles the nose. Very aromatic and perfect for a lambic.

T: Opens sweet and tart, but subtle. Sour hides in the back but comes to the forefront little by little, supported by a dose of wood. Blueberries are present from the beginning to end and maintain an absurd level of balance. Vinegary finish is drying and seems to burn a hole in my stomach. Aftertaste is fruity and dry but lingers on the cheeks.

M: Medium bodied with very subtle carbonation. Silky smooth and filmy in the mouth with a dryness that builds as the beer lingers and warms. Finish is drying and puckering with an aftertaste that seems to suck the saliva from my mouth.

D: All day, every day. That's the only real way to describe the drinkability on this one. I've never EVER had a beer that comes close to as good as this one. Perfection in almost every way. The best lambic I've had to date by a mile. And indeed, probably the best beer I've come across to this point.

SpeedwayJim, Oct 02, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -11%

Bottle: Poured a deep murky blue-ish color lambic with a large enough foamy head with good retention and some good lacing. Aroma of funky notes with well balance sourness and some light blueberry notes is quiet special and intriguing. Taste is a nice enough mix between some light sour blueberries with some well balanced barnyard notes with good sour notes. All elements are well balanced and provided great enjoyment. Body was quite full with limited filtration and good carbonation.

Phyl21ca, Sep 30, 2010
4.93/5  rDev +8.8%

A huge thanks to Don for surprising me with this one. Str8 from across the pond! I bet when he shipped it, he didn't think he would be drinking it with me! Batch 6 750ml bottle. I shared this at a tasting. Poured into a Cigar City snifter. (Reviewing from notes)

A- Pours a faint purple color. A 2 finger pink head that recedes to a thin ring. A very beautiful beer.

A- smells of funk and earth. The blueberries are coming through in a big way. It smells very tart!

T- tart blueberries that are followed up by more tart blueberries. At some points I swear I get a brief sweetness coming through. A musty earthy taste is present. Just perfect. I don't know what else to say. This is definitely my favorite lambic to date.

M- on the thinner side of medium. A tart finish that leaves me yearning for another drink.

D- I don't think it could get any better. Simply perfect!

urwithdave, Sep 20, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

HopHead84, Sep 14, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -17.7%

Night of epic proportions, review #2. Thanks to xpimptastikx for the share! 750ml bottle served in a Meantime snifter.

A big head forms right off the bat, rosy plum-colored, fluffy, cloud-like, not wanting to budge. Hazy is the body of Blåbær, with a deep cranberry hue. The nose is all phenolic funk. A bit too medicinal for my liking, with vinous greenery, fresh vegetation and wet soil.

More phenols in the taste, with Band-Aids galore. Earthy blueberry rinds and vine clippings. Blåbær slowly numbs the tongue as if it were a low-dose application of topical anesthetic. Slightly distracting, but the underlying sourness and tart, fruity finish is where it should be. Carbonation is big and bubbly, rolling around the tongue with a delicate effervescence. Almost too much for me, although this Lambic does calm down as it warms. Glad I got the opportunity to try it, but Blåbær wasn't quite up my ally. Thanks again Michael for sharing this!

wagenvolks, Aug 21, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +1.1%

A long overdue rating, from notes. Opened by Todes at a little throwdown at Willard's Tap House.

375mL bottle, poured into a wine glass. The appearance was a dense, cloudy purple with some blood-orange highlights. A thin pink head formed and fizzled quickly. I can tell just from looking at this that it is a completely different animal from other fruit lambics.

LOTS going on in the aroma department. Medicinal qualities. Dentist office aromas, followed by band-aids and big berry sweetness. Blueberries fight their way through, with some laffy taffy peaking in also.

Very heavy on the berries with the flavor, and more of the laffy taffy. Nice and tart but by no means bracingly acidic. Well-balanced would be an understatement.

The mouthfeel is probably one of the more unique things about this beer. Very thick, slick and sticky. Lacking the fizzy effervesence of most lambics. I would rate this lower because it doesn't really go along with the style, but the entire experienced was thoroughly enhanced by this aspect.

Super dry and tart but not abrasive, this is uber-drinkable. Thank you sir, may I have another.

McDiddyPop, Aug 14, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +6%

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

mikeyv35, Aug 02, 2010
4.63/5  rDev +2.2%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

glid02, Aug 01, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

ktrillionaire, Jul 13, 2010
4.33/5  rDev -4.4%

Okay so I decided to pop this one open after a great vacation in San Diego where I got to drink some amazing sours. (Consecration, Red Poppy: draft and bottle, Framboise de Amorosa, and Isabelle Proximus). Had so many great ones this week why the hell not try out the top rated sour?

Big thanks to Mike for hooking me up with this beer I had been trying to get it forever.

2009 bottle poured 7-11-10 into my Lost Abbey stem glass.

A: I haven't seen many, maybe one or two, beers near this color. It is a deep reddish purple. It poured with about 3 fingers of a fluffy pink head that stayed around for a good while. The head is still lingering around the edges. I give the glass a swirl and it looks like strawberry ice cream with blueberries. Amazing.

S: This one starts off with the familiar sour smell, and a nice fruity tartness. Breathing in deeper reveals a good bit of funk, like sweaty horseblanket barnyard funk. Why does that make it appealing to me? More fruit is showing up now, blueberries, maybe some cranberry.

T: Pretty sour and tart. It has the type of sour that you get from unripe berries, however not really a lot of blueberry but it is there and it is really good. Very sour in the middle, and a very soft touch of blueberries to finish it out.

M: Very smooth.

D: This is a very drinkable sour and... THE MOST FUCKING EPIC SPILL I COULD POSSIBLY EVERY HAVE!! JUST UNDER HALF A GLASS OF BLABAER DEDICATED TO MY CARPET. WTF!

This beer definitely gets a 1 on the "how easy is it to get out of a carpet" category.

BS68280, Jul 12, 2010