Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,427
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
3.88/5  rDev -14.2%

2011 vintage, generously provided by Rich. Thanks a bunch for sharing this treat Rich!

A-No head on the pour, but it is a beautiful deep purple red in color. It is slightly hazy in clarity, it looks stunning.

S-For being a year old at this point, there is still quite a bit of blueberry in the nose, much more than I remember when I originally tried this last year. Plump blueberries and some yogurt character.

T-Blueberry is a little more subdued in the flavor, but is still quite present. There is also lemon rind, oak, and a generous amount of funk.

M-Light mouthfeel, good acidity, lower carbonation, and a moderate lingering finish.

O-One of the better fruit lambics Cantillon makes, but in term of fruit lambics I think I still prefer Fou Foune, Saint Lamnivus, and Lou Pepe Kriek.

Note: I had a 2012 vintage the following day and found the blueberry to be much more faint in the '12. I assume that the recipe is pretty consistent batch to batch, so I found it peculiar that I found the blueberry to be more prominent in the older batch than the new one.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Pours a lovely dark strawberry/raspberry color. Deep strawberry aroma with accents of blueberry and acai. Blueberry and acai come through a lot in the flavor with a soft acidity. A really nice sour.

4.38/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review # 444. Huge thanks to Steasy66 for sharing this beer. I am glad that I know the right people!

Deep pink-purple hued with a light purple head. Good head and good retention. Very clean aroma with no vinegar whatsoever, an instant hit in my book. Somewhat sweet with tart and bright berry notes and only mild hints of funk.

Taste is a clean, lactic and mild sour with strong berry notes. Very very blueberry. I was pleasantly surprised that my "robust" palate could detect the blueberries, they must have used a lot!

Medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish. Very very good.

4.5, 4, 4.5, 4.5, 4.5

4.03/5  rDev -10.8%

Appearance is deep blue purple with a small amount of purplish head. Nose is funk-ay!! Tons of barnyard and farmhouse. Tart blueberries are present, but funky yeast and bacteria overshadow it. Taste starts off with woody qualities and funk and becomes increasingly tart. Finish is tart and dry with tannins. Mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation. This one was a little heavier on the funky side than I expected, quite intriguing.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

Thanks to the asshole who gave me some of this beer.

A: purplish red in color. Moderately cloudy. Forms a thin but very stable bluish purple head that sticks around for the entire glass. No lacing, but none expected.

S: aroma is primarily blueberries, but "dry" blueberries if that makes any sense. Sort of like blueberry leather. Then there is a slightly acetic note with a bit of dusty basement in the mix.

T: flavor is tart, slightly vinegary, but not overly so. Again there are blueberries, but they taste like the tart, unripe, not yet sweet and juicy blueberries you usually tossin the sink and don't actually eat. There is a bit of mustiness on the finish that sticks around for bit

M: medium bodied, tart, with good carbonation. There is a surprising bitterness that accompanies this beer, bu it doesn't distract from it.

O: wel I'm glad nameless asshole brought this beer for me to taste. An interestingly rare tick, though I don't see it living up to the hype.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml Bottle, 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to Chris for bringing this over!

Pours a fantastic reddish purple color, hints of pink and burgundy with a nice fizzy pinkish white head that is very lively but recedes quickly, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The color though is gorgeous. The aroma is amazing, huge blueberry notes leap out of the glass, nice amount of yeast and funk, but nothing too cheesy or vinegary either, perfectly balanced. Mild amounts of wood find its way out as well. The flavors are just about perfect, lots of fresh blueberries, acetic acid, oak and funk. The balance is perfect, such a jammy, yet juicy flavor, this could be a pie filling or muffin filling. The body is perfect, while it has the acidity of most lambics and sours, this one is so soft and smooth on the tongue.

Verdict: This is fantastic and warrants the hype. This is definitely a celebration of fresh and natural blueberry.

3.53/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle shared at woodshop by the same generous soul that shared Framboos

Look: Pours a bluish/purple color with a reddish ring around the top of the glass. 1/4 inch pinkish bubbly head the resides down to a small ring and leaves behind some spotty lace

Smell: Lots of freshly picked blueberries some some under arm funk that make me think this must be what the guy smelled like when he picked the blueberries and some oak

Taste: This for me is where I lost interest in the beer. The beer starts out with some blueberry flavor and to me it taste like a cheap blueberry syrup then is followed up by this weird plastic off putting flavor. Some very light tart and funk and oak cleans up the backend of the beer

Mouthfeel: Thinner body mild to medium carbonation and just a bit tingly

Overall: Extremely happy that I got a chance to try this beer and even more happy that I never traded for one. So far of all the Cantillons I have had this one was the biggest disappoint. I would half heartedly recommend trying this one just because of its current high regard in the beer community

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

3.92/5  rDev -13.3%

Bottle pour at Woodshop 7 held at Beachwood BBQ & Brewing in Long Beach, CA.

Pours a slightly murky dark red with a foamy reddish-white head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with some blueberry and other berry aromas along with a distinct plastic-like smell in the mix. Taste is much the same with the plastic quality coming through on the aftertaste. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer as it stands but the plastic quality in the aroma and taste is not something too desirable in my opinion.

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

I had a bottle at Mikkeller bar during the Beer Celebration weekend. Poured into a tulip glass. This bottle is from the new batch, it didn't even have a label on it.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy purple color with some red and pink where the light hits the glass. There is a finger of pink head that fades to a layer on top of the pour.

Smell: Distinct lambic tartness and funk. Mildly sweet with some aged hops in the background. The blueberries are there, but they show up under the tart notes.

Taste: Sweet and tart. Definitely getting some funk and citrus like acidity. Blueberry flavor shows up but the beer isn't sweet. The finish is sour with a touch of hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with foamy, tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: This is a great fruit lambic, but I don't know that it's that much better than the Kriek or the Rose. I would have this again, but not at the current price.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%

*** Update after opening an '09 in Oct 2012. Been fortunate enough to try both the 2011 (b7) and 2009 (b4, I think) vintages recently. Both shared a gorgeous appearance unique to the style yet were wildly different from each other in every other regard.

The '11 emitted an exceptionally pungent aroma of fresh, juicy blueberries that would make most muffin aficionados jealous. It's on the *very* short list of aromas that would get a 10/10 from me. Taste was rather mild and boring, though. Almost watery with barely any funk or tartness.

The '09 was exactly its opposite: nose lacked depth and pungency while the taste showed matured fruits, funk, classic Cantillon acidity, and an overall level of refinement that simply isn't in the fresher bottle.

Blabaer is the perfect example of the "<girl 1>'s face on <girl 2>'s body" dilemma in beer.

*** Original review of the 2011: ***

375ml bottle split 3 ways, thanks to my new Swedish buddy! 2011 vintage.

I started trading beer specifically to acquire a bottle of Blabaer for my brother's 30th birthday last year, and although that mission was unsuccessful, it's heightened my anticipation of trying this lambic tremendously. Being the good brother I am, I saved a small pour of this for my brother (using a wine stopper) and presented it to him the next evening. Anyway, on with the review!

Deep, dark blueish/red color; almost purple. Let's make my 5th grade science teacher happy and call it indigo. Head is a similar color, and there's plenty of it.

A luscious aroma of freshly picked blueberries and wild yeast fills my nostrils. Smells like the juice from squeezing a ripe blueberry between your fingers, yet it also somehow reminds me of opening the can of tiny berries inside a box of Sarah Lee muffin mix. All I know is this smells incredible!

...but unfortunately the taste isn't on the same level. Blabaer is plenty acidic, yet only mildly sour. Most of the flavors are here, though it could use more funk and overall sourness. More depth and boldness of flavor would do wonders. Finishes a little watery. It did improve as it approached room temperature, but it wasn't served particularly cold in the first place. All three of us were equally disappointed with the taste. :(

Much like the Kate we opened immediately prior to this, Blabaer seems to suffer from hype syndrome. That said, this is still a very good lambic, and I'd love to try an older vintage.

...But honestly, I'm pretty sure I prefer Fou'Foune.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

2011 vintage, 750 mL split two ways.

Pours a dark red, fuchsia color with a pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring. Beautiful color, when held to the light, hints of blue and purple.

The blueberry was incredibly prominent. Typical Cantillon funk, wet oak, basement blueberry skins, and graham cracker sweetness.

The taste is very similar to the aroma, but I get blueberry skins more on the finish. Not overly sour, but a great balance and blend of sweet, sour, tart and funk complexity.

Mouthfeel is very creamy, almost milky, with a very dry finish. It has a thicker body than I'm used to, but it works well here. Very drinkable.

Overall, this is incredible and met the hype for me. Really complex and unlike anything I'd normally drink, in a good way. A quite intriguing beer - I look forward to trying my other vintages.

4.68/5  rDev +3.5%

Appearance: beautiful finger and a half head. Strawberry colored, pinky.  Large bubbles with pink lacing, small to no legs on the lacing.  Dark purple, plum or blood red. Cloudy.
Aroma: similar to st lamvinus, blueberry, fresh not squeezed, musk with hints of barnyard and cellar, some fertilizer.  Definitely smells of fresh not so sweet blueberrys. Very little vinegar
Taste:  wow straight up blueberrys, vinegar, sour, acidic. The funk is somewhat there with a little oak
Mouthfeel:  tighter carbonation than some. The mouthfeel is medium to light.  Dry finish probably due to the acidity.
Overall: Even though this is the best Cantillon it really does not justify how saught after this beer is. Do not get me wrong, I think this beer is the best Cantillon I have tried but do not be led astray by believeing that it is soooo much better than anything else.

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

375ml bottle - 2010 vintage shared by jedwards. Pours a hazy, pomegranate hue with a loose, white head that dissipates into a skim and a frothy band. Nose expresses berry fruit, citric acid and a hint of something chemical. Taste follows nose with the addition of a briney character that comes out towards the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light) with an assertive carbonation and acidity that lingers between quaffs. Overall, this is an excellent fruit lambic; however, the blueberry flavor is definitely dropping off. Nonetheless, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have tried this beer.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness?

4.61/5  rDev +2%

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff.

4.43/5  rDev -2%

2011 Version 37.5cl

A- Purple body with a nice pink head.

S- Lots of funk. Blueberries are the second smell, and you can smell the acidity as well.

T- Very sour and acidic. Also tastes of oak. I get a very minor blueberry flavor very late, but I wonder if I would notice it if I wasn't looking for the blueberries.

M- Tartness, but not nearly as sour as some other Cantillon lambics. Medium body, and perfectly carbonated.

O- Overall a really good lambic. I was a bit let down with how minimal the blueberries were though.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

A surprise share by Urbancaver - thanks Cam! '09 vintage poured into an Upland snifter between four of us. It poured out looking, well, almost exactly like fresh raspberry juice - a mellow and thin red with delicate lacing. It's really quite beautiful. Aromas of saddle leather, field grasses, very ripe strawberry and blueberry.

It packs a bit of a sour punch, almost like a sourpatch kid or strawberry jolly rancher, but with a fresh blueberry/strawberry quality and a background of the grass and leather from the aroma. The taste is very clean, and the fruit is right up front as the star of the show. The mouthfeel is much as the appearance - akin to fresh raspberry juice; it is just the right balance of alcohol, sugars, and clean juice to keep the body in check from becoming too heavy or too thin. Absolutely wonderful lambik.

4.64/5  rDev +2.7%

The beer is hazy deep ruby with blue nuances, a pinkish head that leaves little lacing and not very much curtains.

I smell horse, stable, leather, some forest moisture, damp blueberry plants.

The taste is complex sweet fructose forest fruits, concrete and wet hay, a fresh, very cantillonish acidity.

Medium high carbonation, small alert bubbles, a bit foamy but very refreshing feeling, a smooth long dry finish.

Very much complexity and stable presence, an, as always, good Cantillion. The 2011 Vintage. Thx to bark.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Vintage 2011.

The colour is blueberry-purple, the liquid clear. The low head is pink.

The smell is tart. Iodine. Stable. Blueberries.

The taste is tart with notes of white wine vinegar. Black currents and blueberry juice. Iodine. It is much smoother then most Cantillon brews I have had. Passing dry notes. Sour hints that reminds of fresh orange juice. Some hints of citric peels. Long lasting blue berry notes in the finish.

The carbonation is light, the small bubbles fresh. The liquid is very dry.

A very well balanced and highly drinkable lambic. One of the most intriguing beers I have had.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with scoand. Beer review number 300.

Batch: 7 (2011)

A- Pours a one finger light pink foamy head that dissipates slowly, really attractive pink lacing on the sides, dark blood red color, slight purple color, hard to see through it.
S- Really nice aroma, musky, slight barnyard aroma, cobwebs, nice fruity notes, berries, fresh blueberries, funky earthy manure? Really complex.
T- Really nice taste, really complex, nice acidity, sour lemon, vinegar, nice barnyard funk, absolutely delicious, fresh blueberries come out, nice tartness.
M-Medium/light mouth feel, dry fish, acidic, puckering, sour.
O- Ok I will have to admit I put this beer on a pedestal, and in the end it did not let me down, just amazing, when it warms up a bit, the blueberries come out beautifully, just an amazing beer.

3.96/5  rDev -12.4%

750 ml capped and corked bottle. 2011 Edition poured into several glasses. Huge thanks go to Stakem for generously sharing this rarity. This is bottle review # 1,000 for me.

Pours a beautiful cranberry rose color, with a ½ finger of rich pink (maybe even a bit purplish) head. This retains with a creamy and frothy look, soaping the sides of the glass with thick swathes of heavy lace. Awesome look to this! Fresh raspberries are right up front of the aroma with a tart blast of flavor. Funk and acidic tones shore up the middle of this, while I’m getting some doughy sugars sprinkled throughout as well. The fruity tartness of this picks up in the back of the nose, leaving a favorable final impression. This has a nice compact feel in the nostrils but seems like it could have been a little more robust smelling.

The taste is similar, with a bright and flavorful berry tartness that is emboldened by the acidity and funk. Some very light feeling sugars spread out and mostly hang with that berry flavor. Earth and woody notes are really sticking out to me in this. There is a real nice dry crispness here that gives this a lovely parching feel. Like most Cantillions, this is sour but the overall balance is so well done, that it comes off more as an intense yet refreshing tartness. Really nicely done. The mouthfeel is medium bodied; with a lively and effervescent feel that pops that fruitiness, while there is just of bit of a chewiness underneath which mostly holds that acidity and funky character. The feel here perfectly complements these flavors.

This was good. Not mind blowing but pretty darn good. While this was certainly well crafted, it just lacked that wow factor to it that would have really put this over the top for me. It seems that rarity of this elevates it a bit. Thanks for the opportunity at trying this though Adam. It was most appreciated.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.

Shared with some fellow BAers at our December Big Boy Bottle Tasting.

A: Super dark reddish purple color. The purplish head was really nice looking but it quickly dissipates. Little floaties maybe seeds, are visible when held up to light.

S: Fruit right up front. This beer had an incredible balance between tartness and some funk. Both were quite intense.

T: Intense tartness right up front. The blueberry fruit very subtly but goes so well with the tart sour taste. Perfectly balanced.

M: amazing. A touch dry in the finish. Fantastic carbonation

O: One of the best beers I have ever had. Simply amazing. Cantillon truly makes phenomenal beers

4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Batch 7 375ml poured into my Chimay chalice.

Pours reddish purple with a finger of pink head with lacing down the glass.

Aroma is straight fruit tartness. Lots of unripe blueberry and cherry scents with some oak and typical Cantillon funkiness.

Starts out with a little tart cherry flavor. Deep funk, straw and lots of sour acidity coat the tongue and it finishes with a tart blueberry flavor. Almost like eating a not quite ripe blueberry straight from the bush.

Smooth mouthfeel with high prickly carbonation.

An excellent beer. It is supremely sour with lots of tart fruit characters. Immensely enjoyable, but not the best beer (and maybe not the best Cantillon) I've ever had.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon