Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,376
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Had at the epic bottle share to kick off sdbw!

2011 vintage bottle shared by cbanker. Thanks chris!

A- beautiful purple body with a little bit of head that quickly disapates

S- grapes. Sweet grapes. Man oh man

T- can really taste the rare here. Also follows the nose. Great grape taste that doesn't last nearly as long as it needs too

M-medium body and oh so smooth

O-wow. Great Fucking beer. (398 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml 2011 vintage shared by cbanker, thanks Chris, this was awesome.

Pours a crazy bluish purple color. Perfect head retention and good lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Smells like a huge amount of sour mix, blueberries and acai berries. Very fruit forward and you can tell this is funky and sour.

Tastes mouth puckeringly sour. See the guy on the bottle? That's pretty much the face you're going to make. Since this was a fresh vintage all of that wonderful fruit is still very strong. Funk, berries, sour, a bit of sweetness and a lot of delicious.

High carbonation and a touch thin. Doesn't detract from the amazing taste, though.

Overall I'm glad I tried this one, it's great. However, between fou'foune and blabaer, I would definitely take fou. (754 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Graciously shared by Sean9689 at Zwanze Day 2011. This has been a long time want/tick. Thank you again! 2011 750ml bottle.

Appearance – Pours into a Cantillon tulip with an utter amazing dark blue/purple color. About a half finger of purple head that dissipates at an average pace leaving slight nifty looking lacing. Side note, as I drank this there were bits of berry that got stuck on the glass…awesome.

Smell – Lots of fruit; quite obviously blueberry. A wonderful tart and barnyard funk aroma. Leather, lemon peel, and more blueberry.

Taste – A nice puckering up front with loads of berry flavor. A slight barnyard funk flavor such as wet hay and leather. A hint of acidic characteristic, lemon zest, oak, and tannic qualities.

Mouthfeel – Lighter medium bodied, plentiful carbonation, finishes a hint dry and acidic.

Overall – I was thoroughly impressed with this beer. It was everything I was hoping and expecting it to be. To be honest, I recently went international to get a 33cl of the 2011. That said, I will admit this beer was not insanely better than other Cantillon’s I have had. While it is different with the variation of berries, the 2003 Lou Pepe Framboise I had recently was more mouth puckering and sour. Since I have had this beer fresh, I will now age the bottle I own. Still, a fantastic beer. (1,336 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -2%

2010 bottle share by Darkguardian at Coffee District. This was the first time having this beer and Im glad it was a fresh, because I’ve had some aged Cantillons, which were awesome, but the fruit taste was pretty much gone. It was hard to drink this beer. First off, the blueberry and sourness in the nose was so great that I just kept smelling the beer. I was fearful that I would drink it in one shot because the smell was that good. The taste was even better. Blueberries were present but not overpowering. The tartness added some great puckering and made each sip better and better. I never pass on Cantillon and its because of beers like this one. (654 characters)

4.08/5  rDev -9.5%

This is review for batch 7.
Not as "pungent" as previous batches. Seems
A little more "watered down." don't get me wrong, there are berries and funk, but not as much oak or depth of flavor as I remember with previous batches. This was a 375 and I will re-rate a 750 batch 7 sometime in future to see if more complexity develops. Slighty underwhelmed this go around. (365 characters)

4.27/5  rDev -5.3%

Enjoyed a nice little pour of this prior to the start of our Zwanze celebration at La Cave a Bulles with Simon and our crew.

Pours a wine like violet color with a decent head.
The aroma is killer, blueberries and ripe fruit.

Unfortunately the taste couldn't live up to the nose, few do...nice rounded tartness with a hint of funk. Obviously a solid blueberry note throughout and a nice lingering juiciness...a little puckering I suppose.

It was great, but not nearly as epic as it's made out to be. If I end up in Copenhagen anytime soon, I will certailnly seek out a few bottles to add to the cellar. Regardless, it's another one I can happily check off the list and am happy to have tried it.

Thanks Boss! (711 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +6.9%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff. (505 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +7.1%

2009 375ml bottle shared with Weisguy for a mini lambic tasting.
Served a bit too cold, but hey, it’s January in Michigan. Poured a blueberry pulp red with lots of purple and a nice frothy white head. Immediate smell is vinegar even after just uncapping! The nose definitely foreshadowed the taste as it packs a powerful acidic kick in the mouth. Bit of sparkling fruit soda mid-taste & on the palate, but very enjoyable. Tastes very similar to Cantillon Kriek and it’s hard to get much blueberry out of the beer until sampling the last 4 ounces of dregs/sediment. The surprising acidity of the beer (for a 2009) burns lightly on the finish. Extremely drinkable. 8/4/8/5/17
Re-rate for 2009 (batch 4) 750ml: Shared by Dan at Derek’s first visit back tasting in April. Pours a vibrant purple with a pinkish head. Smell is a bit of funk, sweet blueberries, and vanilla. Taste is sour, funky, but accompanied by acidic blueberry skin with a dry finish. Woah, this was a very different beer compared to the batch 5 375ml I opened up some short time before. Way more blueberry fruit on the nose and taste which made all the difference in balancing the beer out. 9/4/9/5/20 (1,175 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

From notes 8/5/11. Huge thank you to Dobby for this one. 2011, Batch 7, 750 ml. Pours a deep maroon and cloudy with a thin layer of bubbles. Aroma is very good. Lots of blueberries, earth, barnyard and mild cheese notes. The berries don’t seem terribly juicy, but it’s wonderfully restrained and complex. The taste is dry with a tannic, blueberry skin quality. I’m guessing that my review would be very high for an older bottle because this one just doesn’t seem to have the tartness of other Cantillon and 3F fruit lambics, and more sour berry flavor would put this over the top. Still, it’s pretty great, as is. Mouthfeel is fairly normal for the style - light, not too bubbly. Good stuff. (701 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic. (1,003 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Funny that the description on BA says “blueberry lambic” while Blabaer is Danish for Bilberry, a quite different berry with a significantly different taste. But let’s stop the language course of the review and focus on the beer :) 2010 vintage
Look: The beer pours a deep blue-purple color with a nice light purple-pink head, wow!
Smell: Funky, light oak and fruity with lemon and Bilberries, less vinegar (lactic tartness) than the average Cantillon beer.
Taste: Full of funk flavours, tart berries and other sour fruits (apple, lemon). The barrel (oak) is more present in the taste than in the smell. The finish is dry and tart with even more Bilberries appearing.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.
Overall: What a great beer, looking forward to traveling to Copenhagen and pick up the 2011 version (826 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +6%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing! (380 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

A (4.50) (2,960 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured hazy purple color with a large frothy grape colored head that lasted with excellent lacing. Moderate to heavy tart fruit, yeast and alcohol aroma. Medium to full body with tingly smooth texture and soft carbonation. Moderate to heavy sour & sweet fruit flavor with a mdium to heavy tart fruit & sweet and small alcohol finish of moderate to long duration. This is a standout beer & lambic. (396 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

A. Pours a cloudy redish purple with a thick creamy purple head that leaves plenty of beautiful lacing.

S. Bright lemony tartness with some barnyard funkiness.

T. Black cherry with tart blueberry in the aftertaste. Some nice hay and barn funk.

M. Thin body with crisp tartness and some nice creaminess.

D. Great. Glad I got to break this out. (346 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a hazy thick reddish purple. A nice bit of white head. Smells tart and heavily of blueberry on the nose. Tastes fruity and sour. Dry and very very tart. Incredibly tasty on the tongue. Solid well carbonated mouthfeel. Overall lives up to the legend! (255 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

9.7/10 (758 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale... (273 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer. (339 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem. (1,720 characters)

This did not disappoint! Looked like dark pink shampagne when poured into the glass. Dry, tart and fruity. Prickly carbonation that washed all the deliciousness across my tongue. Blueberries must be an aphrodisiac 'cause I was getting laid thanks to this beer. I'm trading for a few more bottles right now. (306 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

HUUUGE thanks to Dave for sharing this at a couple of tastings. You're the man! Review from notes.

Poured hazy pinkish, some red grapeskin hues with a pink-tinted white head that lasted a decent while. Wow the blueberry is really coming out of the glass. Nicely tart with a strong blueberry flavor... particularly of the unripe, sour blueberry kind. There's a lot more to this: slightest hint of mustiness, grass, and a puckering acidity. The beer is light and refreshing, yet very boldly flavored. Sourness is intense and relentless even in the finish, which is dry and tart. Berry flavor lingers a bit before giving way to a nice bit of funk. The beer is effervescent and dances with carbonation, but not too much so. Crisp and velvety at the same time, I can't really put my finger on it. All I know is that this beer is simply outstanding. Thanks again for sharing, Dave! (876 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! HOLY CHRIST, FINALLY! 2009 Vintage! Served from 375 mL bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a reddish purple with a one finger slight pink head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, dark fruit, blueberry, and a slight hint of funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, blueberry, fruit, and slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of (as I'm sure you know) excellent! All aspects of this one just worked extremely well together... The appearance was really unique to other lambics I have seen as you could tell there were blueberries involved in this beer before you even smelled it. The aroma was very inviting and I dare say, even mocked me to take a sip. I'm not one to be mocked so I did just that. WOW! There was no tart aspect at all in this one which was nice as I'm sure it would have covered up the delicate blueberry flavors going on here. The slight funky aspect was a really nice touch on the followthrough on this one. Just not a lot bad going on in this one if I'm completely honest. REALLY glad I got the chance to finally try this one as it was one of my harder to get brews via trading. I am currently searching for a 750 mL for my cellar if you have one you want to trade (hint hint traders!). A definite must try even if you have to beg or steal for it!

After typing this review and thinking about it, I am actually tasting the beer again and I indeed know that I need MORE. Someone help me out... (1,747 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 4 - Bottled 2009 - 375ml green corked and capped bottle poured into my Cantillon stemware...

Pours a pale and muddy dark reddish/purple. Not nearly as clear or vibrantly colored as other Cantillons. Two fingers of soft pink head forms and slowly recedes, leaving a nice haze on top for pretty much the whole drink...

Nice aroma of tart blueberries right off the bat, swear I smelled a little grape juice too. The musty Cantillon funk takes over in this beer, much stronger than the fruit component. Finishes with some subtle oak aromas, pretty subdued overall for a Cantillon...

Nice flavor of tart little blueberries, you know, the really little ones in the batch that are really tart, my favorite ones, that's what this tastes like. Tart and blueberrylicious up front, but after a few sips it is all about the funk. Musty and dry, with an oaky finish...

Medium bodied with low carbonation. This one is pretty sticky and syrupy in the mouth, could use some more bubbles to move it along. Quite tart with a dry and acidic finish...

Overall this is a very good beer, but no better than any run of the mill Cantillon, in fact, I'll take a fresh, off the shelf Cantillon fruit Lambic over this any day. (1,210 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Small pour of the 2007 black foil vintage generously shared by Shaun Hill himself on the night before HF anniversary. Hazy pinkish pour with a few bubbles of foam. Aroma is a pure wonder. Lots of blueberry remains on the aroma despite this bottle’s age, with the regular lambic aromas coming out as a nice dry spiciness, almost peppery. Taste is super fruity but quite acidic too. Never has there been such a perfect match between a fruit’s acidic/sweet character and lambic’s funk/acidity. Everything just blends perfectly into one of my new favourite beers all time. Stunning. (584 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon