Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,379
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've had the pleasure of tasting several bottles ( 75cl & 37.5cl) of this fine fruit Lambik; vintage 2007 Batch 1 & 2. Pours a light to medium burgundy with slight white head! Has a pleasant tart funky barnyard aroma with a touch of blueberry maybe a little cranberry in the background. Gotta love this soft tart blueberry zest; just enough to cause the lips to smack with delight. Much less acidic and sour than some other Cantillon fruit Lambics though. The mouth feel was pleasant with some carbonation along with a perfect balance of Blueberry tartness/acidity. This is definitely one of the best fruit Lambics on the market today. Thanks Jeppe for supplying all those tasty blueberries to create such a great brew. (719 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1000. I can't thank Jan enough for the opportunity to try this rarity, a 375mL bottle, 2007 vintage.

The cork came out with an impressive pop. Pours a gorgeous hazy purplish red with a fizzy lavender head that recedes fairly quickly but does hang around as a cap for the duration. Lacing is spotty.

The aroma is very interesting and the blueberries were evident right as I popped the cork and they seemed fairly sweet and sugary. However, once in the glass the aroma become much more pungent and trademark Cantillon. It's got the strong tart blueberries, a strong vinegar acidity and a healthy dose of funk. A strong, complex and overall stunning nose.

The taste is more of the same with a strong vinegar presence up front with the blueberries coming in on the tart side of things. There is a faint sweetness in there, but not nearly as sweet as that initial blueberry smell in the nose. The finish is dry with lots of funk and lots of tart fruit.

The mouthfeel is spritzy with lots of carbonation and very dry and funky on the palate.

Well, I've certainly been looking forward to this one and it didn't disappoint. It's got lots of funk and vinegar but it's much more balanced (for me) than some of the other Cantillons I've had. Wonderfully balanced and deserving of the praise. (1,293 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%

2009 bottle - thanks to eyebrews. Shared with Nanoslug and lagradeer and served in a small taster goblet.

A - Opaque fuschia color with quick dissolving pinkish foam that settles to a thick ring - not so much in the way of lacing. Typical Cantillon look, but with bonus blueberry chunks at the bottom of the glass.

S - Lots of horsey funkiness, sour unsweetened blueberry juice, blueberry skins, a good amount of graham cracker malt, a touch of vinegar. Excellent blend of sweet, tart, and sour flavors.

T - The taste is very similar to the aroma, with minimal drop-off in depth or complexity in flavor. The aftertaste is pretty clean with some mild residual tartness.

M - Very dry finish, thicker body than I'm used to from a fruit lambic, with lower carbonation in the texture (even though the cork almost exploded out of the bottle).

D - Drinkability is terrific - I wish I had a 750ml bottle as the little tasters were a huge tease. Obviously low ABV, and lower carbonation, and amazing taste and feel conspire for an amazingly drinkable brew. (1,052 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Stevedore for sharing such a treat. Poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass

Beer pours a hazy grapefruit juice color. Very interesting. I've never seen a beer that looks like this. Fizzy and intriguing. A red/purple glow permeates the beer.

Smells pretty damn sour. Lactic and green apple skin. Of course, a nice blueberry scent. It's not a sweet blueberry preserve smell, but instead a fresh tart blueberry smell.

Taste matches the smell. There are tart fresh blueberries, heavy lactic, some vinegar, some lemon, some green apple skin. There is funk in here, but to me it is covered by the flavor. Quite sour. Most sour beer I've had next to Beat.

Mouthfeel is medium, fizzy, and finishes pretty dry. I get one of those "I want more" sensations after each sip due to the lactic and dry finish.

Overall, this was very impressive. (847 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +2.2%

Chilled bottle into a glass (2009 vintage I believe). Shared jointly by Chad, Craig, and Jeff at Jeff's recent sour tasting. Thanks, guys.

A: Pours a murky reddish magenta body. The pour develops a finger of frothy pink head that retains moderately before lapsing into a thick collar.

S: Blueberries, funk (horse, barnyard), some lacto, oak, and leather. As I was taking these notes, I thought to myself that I liked St. Lamvinus better... In transcribing them, I'm not sure I'd still say that.

T: Tart blueberries, but I can see why Chad said they taste more like a reddish berry of some kind. It doesn't *quite* taste like fresh blueberries, unlike other fruit lambic varieties. Maybe something about the harvest for this particular beer, or the way blueberries work in this beer? Who knows. Hints of citrus. The sourness is a restrained lactic presence with some grape-like vinegar. Most of the wild flavor is funk and barnyard; the finish is VERY leathery with a mild astringency.

M: Medium-bodied, with low carbonation. Semi-dry. It cleans up pretty well, but it does start to coat the mouth.

D: This beer is immensely drinkable against some other Cantillon varieties that are intensely acetic or dry. This delivers the flavor without being so extreme that it becomes tough to finish. Cleans up well for the most part. Goes down too easily, almost. (1,363 characters)

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff. (431 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

anniversary beer.

A- a beautiful deep purple, light pinkish purple head. absolutely beautiful.

S- tart blueberrys, funk, tad bit of vingar.

T- a nice tart blueberry taste... follows the nose.

M- wonderful, nice light crisp carbonation.

O- wonderful beer glad I got too try it. (282 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reviewing the infamous Blåbær from Brasserie Cantillon out of Belgium.

Score: 96

2012 vintage bottle served in a GLASS and enjoyed on 05/07/13. Review is from iPhone notes

Appearance: Pours a lovely Byzantium/blueberry color with a thin layer of thistle colored head. The color of the head looks like what you'd expect on the label of a fancy bath product. Average lacing, excellent retention. I adore the color on this brew! 4.5/5

Smell: Sweet and jammy blueberries mixed with that classic "Cantillon dust" aroma you get with all their other beers. Not very sour-apparent on the nose. Hint of vinegar too. Not very complex, but extremely appealing. Maybe I am just a sucker for blueberries? 4.5/5

Taste: Sweet/jammy and slightly acidic blueberries with a nice light tartnesses towards the finish. Some of that "Cantillon dust" flavor throughout as well. Drying tartness, makes for a very interesting mouthfeel. Like the nose, the taste is not very complex, but what it delivers is quite delicious! 4.75/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, good carbonation. Sweet fruitiness and mildly acidic. Dry finish. 4.5/5

Overall: I found this brew to be absolutely delicious (albeit not overly complex), but as many have pointed out before me, this is not Cantillon's best beer (let alone their best lambic). I would absolutely love to try this one again, but it us not worth jumping through all the hoops one has to jump through in order to obtain a bottle when Fou Foune, St. Lamvinus, Vigneronne and Lou Pepe Kriek are at least as good, cheaper and easier to obtain. I'd recommend folks who have not had this beer before give it a try, as I found this beer to be world class; however, I would likewise recommend that such folks seek out a bottle with a group of friends so as to share the burden of the premium it'll take to obtain.

Cost: 46€ (approximately $60 USD) for a 750 ML, 23€ (approximately $30 USD) for a 375 ML. (1,922 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2%

375 mL bottle poured into Delirium snifter. Batch 5 I believe (just says 2009 Vintage, so I think it could be 4 or 5). Big thanks to Maltzilla for this one.

A- One of the most unique looking beers I've had. Pours a purple-ish pink with a pale pink 1-finger head. Leaves little to no lacing.

S- Smells very acidic with lots of berries on the nose. If you handed this to me and said it was a kriek lambic, I wouldn't challenge it based on the smell. Very funky also.

T- Substantially different than the nose. The blueberries are much more pronounced than I had anticipated. I don't get a whole array of berries here, the blueberries stand alone. Also, less sour/acetic than the nose led on and a lot more funk than I had anticipated.

MF- Less carbonation than I would prefer and maybe even a little syrupy (but this could just be a function of the under-carbonation.)

D- Great, I could drink this all night. Sourness doesn't slow you down at all and the funk is heavy and nice. (982 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL bottle poured into taster - 2011 vintage - thanks to Mark000

Pours a brilliant purpley blue color with a cloudy haze. Crop of white head rests on top, fading into a collar of filmy residue with spotty lacing on the glass.

Juicy blueberries in the nose with funky sourness. Soft acidity and faint sweetness, straw and wet hay. Still fruit-forward yet tart despite the year+ of age.

Blueberry-driven tartness with plenty of jammy fruit tones. The sourness builds on the palate while drinking, yielding a funky yeast and wet hay. Straw and biscuit malts with grain and more blueberries. Tart fruit skins and oak with a soft vinous character. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, bubbly and lively on the tongue. One of the best fruit lambics I've ever had, although I believe Fou Foune is still my favorite. (855 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375ml bottle into a mini-nonic; the capstone of an awesome tasting.

A: Pours a clear, dark purple body underneath a vigorous, frothy light purple head. Crazy. I've never seen a beer this color, and it's amazing.

S: Classic, immense Cantillon funk, including barnyard, mustard, grape, and, yes, blueberries. Incredible.

T: Starts with fruit (blueberry), then gets sour and funky - but restrainedly so. Clean finish. Surprisingly restrained, but thoroughly delectable. So, so good.

M: Fairly light body, yet substantial, with tons of smooth, creamy effervescence. Excellent mouthfeel for a Cantillon especially.

D: I'd kill for more than a quarter of a 375. Extremely balanced for the style and brewery, I would drink this all day every day if I could.

Notes: Huge thanks to Tony for so generously sharing this, and also a shout-out to the amazing trader who threw this in as an extra. Unbelievable. I had no idea when (or if) I'd get to try this beer, and it was the most amazing surprise to see it make an appearance at this tasting. What a way to end an amazing night.

Cheers! (1,084 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

2012 Vintage, 750 ml bottle

Pours a purplish red color with a one finger pink head which fades quickly, leaving no lacing. The aroma has tart blueberries, barnyard funk, very acidic.

Tastes like tart blueberries. Acidic, and very dry. There is some barnyard funk in the taste, but not as much as there is in the aroma. The taste becomes a bit sweeter as I drink it, then goes back to being more tart and acidic. Nice and complex. Very well crafted.

Light bodied with low carbonation. Finishes dry. Very inviting and easy to drink. well worth seeking out. (557 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness. (1,325 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 750ml into an Iris balloon glass.

The thing that I would like to add the most is that I don't use a lambic basket, sorry. But the last glass of this was up there with Hommage for the dregs making it the best two glasses of beer that I have ever had.

The blueberries were noticeable; not really a lot of funk, more acidic but with blueberries in the middle. Not dank by any means, but no blueberry beer has achieved that.

This was great, I really enjoyed it; and it is a treat to try.

2010 375ml poured into a Crooked Stave snifter. Bottle opener tore the top part of the bottle off. Salvaged the whole bottle, thank God.

Appearance: Bizzare. Blue/purple hue lambic??? This is something unknown to me. Really excited to see what comes.

Smell: Light blueberry acid, barnyard Cantillon funk. Great smell; obviously something I have never experienced... and I can't put it in words.

Taste: Again, can't put it in words. You expect blueberry lambic; but when it hits you it reads as totally something different but within the blueberry lambic world. I can see why this is so sought after.

Mouthfeel: Jungle of fun with this. Your mouth-to-brain is all over the map with how weird and delightful this is. Incredible.

Overall: Not the best beer that I have had; but the most beautifully weird beer that I have ever had. I understand the hype. (1,358 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750Ml corked and capped pyle from 2010.

Pours a very unique red/purple color with a small pale pink color. Nose is a bit light but tart and sweet fruit.

Taste is very tart and fruity it's very crisp. Blueberries are very present and it's got that strong cantillon yeasty flavor. Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit chewy. Very, very good beer. (339 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

750ml bottle (2009 vintage) received in trade with bmanning. Thanks for this huge want Ben. Poured into a Sierra Nevada 30th Anniversary snifter.

A - Pours the color of concord grape juice with a thick, fluffy purpley pink head of 2-3 fingers that lasts for a little while before falling to a thick, creamy collar and leaving lots of sticky lacing behind.

S - Very interesting. Smells of grapes, raspberries and brett mainly. Lots of interesting funk. Looking for blueberries I don't get fresh fruit, more of a blueberry jam.

T - Blueberries are more subtle than I expected out of this. Extremely tart especially up front and very dry. Layered with funky brett in the middle with some horseblanket and general yeastiness and finishing with some lactic and acetic sourness on the finish. Blueberries are somewhat light, but I keep coming back to the blueberry jam character. As it warms up a bit the fruit really starts to come out (and I get some lemony aspects too) and the tartness becomes less bracing and more well integrated into the overall flavor of the beer. A truly great and interesting beer. As it warms further, I really get left with the fresh blueberry juice flavor I was initially expecting. Very interesting how this beer changes through the range of temperatures - from fridge temp to approaching room temperature.

M - Light bodied, carbonation is medium high. Tart/sour flavors dominate and cause a definite puckering sensation on every sip. A bit of warmth though really does wonders for this beer. The flavors really open up on this turning a "good" sour into a great beer. Wow, warmer temps on this are leaving me very impressed.

D - On first sip, I was a little bit unimpressed by this. The tart and sour nature were overwhelming and masked a lot of the subtleties in this beer. As it warms the true character of this beer really stands out. Jammy and fresh fruit blueberry character becomes very prominent in a very good way. Would love to be able to try this one again, but I won't hold my breath. (2,026 characters)

4.58/5  rDev +1.6%

Happy New Year's Eve. This is how I'm starting off my night. 2009 vintage poured from a 375ml bottle into my Lost Abbey Sinner stemware.

It poured a deep purple color with the head and bubbles showing a pink or very light purple hue to them. The head retreated to the edges where it remained for a good while. Loved the colors it had to it.

The aroma has a very nice sourness to it without being overly acidic. Some of the berries show through nicely as well. It has a bit of a funky, basement like quality to it that adds to the tart sourness of the fruit. Complex and appealing aroma overall.

The taste starts out with a moderate acidic tartness. The blueberries start to come through next with a tart and sour flavor to them. It has a kind of a musty flavor throughout it as well. In the finish the blueberries come back and linger with some nice sourness to them. Excellent flavor and nice complexity to it.

The mouthfeel is medium to maybe a little heavy for the style. Carbonation is moderately sharp, but maybe a bit below average for the style. The mouthfeel worked very well for the beer overall.

The drinkability is excellent, it had some great flavors and complexity to it and was a great way to start the evening. It paired very nicely with a few good cheeses we had as well. Excellent beer overall and definitely one of the best if not the best fruit based sour beers I've had. (1,397 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

Batch 7 375ml poured into my Chimay chalice.

Pours reddish purple with a finger of pink head with lacing down the glass.

Aroma is straight fruit tartness. Lots of unripe blueberry and cherry scents with some oak and typical Cantillon funkiness.

Starts out with a little tart cherry flavor. Deep funk, straw and lots of sour acidity coat the tongue and it finishes with a tart blueberry flavor. Almost like eating a not quite ripe blueberry straight from the bush.

Smooth mouthfeel with high prickly carbonation.

An excellent beer. It is supremely sour with lots of tart fruit characters. Immensely enjoyable, but not the best beer (and maybe not the best Cantillon) I've ever had. (685 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +1.3%

A long overdue rating, from notes. Opened by Todes at a little throwdown at Willard's Tap House.

375mL bottle, poured into a wine glass. The appearance was a dense, cloudy purple with some blood-orange highlights. A thin pink head formed and fizzled quickly. I can tell just from looking at this that it is a completely different animal from other fruit lambics.

LOTS going on in the aroma department. Medicinal qualities. Dentist office aromas, followed by band-aids and big berry sweetness. Blueberries fight their way through, with some laffy taffy peaking in also.

Very heavy on the berries with the flavor, and more of the laffy taffy. Nice and tart but by no means bracingly acidic. Well-balanced would be an understatement.

The mouthfeel is probably one of the more unique things about this beer. Very thick, slick and sticky. Lacking the fizzy effervesence of most lambics. I would rate this lower because it doesn't really go along with the style, but the entire experienced was thoroughly enhanced by this aspect.

Super dry and tart but not abrasive, this is uber-drinkable. Thank you sir, may I have another. (1,124 characters)

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well. (2,967 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

Huge thanks to bachbum1975 for cracking this crazy rare beer. Thanks, Shane!

375ml corked and capped green bottle, into a kbs tulip. '09 batch 4.

A: Pours a very deep, brillant ruby. Decent sized champagne like head that holds nicely, cottoncandy pink. Lays to a fine but thick head. Some lacing.

S: Great fruity aroma and lots of Cantillon funk. Smells closer to raspberry than blueberry. Great funk, loads of complexity.

T/M: Amazing funk, not abrassive but tasty and complex. Great sour and tart fruits but still controlled. Distinct blueberry doesn't come out until the swallow and aftertaste. The funk is big and cheesy with all the nice horsey, barnyard, musky flavors. Body is about medium and carbonation is nicely elevated. Finishes with that great dryness.

D: very crushable. 5% and extremely refreshing. (819 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml 2011 vintage shared by cbanker, thanks Chris, this was awesome.

Pours a crazy bluish purple color. Perfect head retention and good lacing. Very nice looking beer.

Smells like a huge amount of sour mix, blueberries and acai berries. Very fruit forward and you can tell this is funky and sour.

Tastes mouth puckeringly sour. See the guy on the bottle? That's pretty much the face you're going to make. Since this was a fresh vintage all of that wonderful fruit is still very strong. Funk, berries, sour, a bit of sweetness and a lot of delicious.

High carbonation and a touch thin. Doesn't detract from the amazing taste, though.

Overall I'm glad I tried this one, it's great. However, between fou'foune and blabaer, I would definitely take fou. (754 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2009 Vintage.

A: Poured a deep ruby with a nice light ruby head that left a bit of lacing on its way down.

S: Quite a bit of lactic sourness, without much vinegar smells coming through like with Saint Lamnivus. Definitely quite a few blueberry notes marking their way in. A little bit of sweetness.

T: Quite a bit of acidity, but nothing too overwhelming like several other beers coming from Cantillon. The blueberry taste is simply astounding, blending beautifully with the sweet, tart sourness. The blueberry flavor is quite unique and pungent, tasting almost like crushed blueberries that had previously been frozen, as opposed to fresh blueberries.

M: Beautiful acidity balanced against a lovely fruit aroma--very well done.

D: Very, very nice. Wish this had been a 750 as opposed to a 375. Exceptionally thrilled that I got to try this one out. (855 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a- 2009 375ml pours a hazy dark red/purple with champagne like carbonation. About half an inch of bubbly head with a less then vigorous pour.
s- Some blueberry fruit sweetness and sour cherry with a little bit of lemon in the background.
t- Not nearly as sweet as I expected it to be. The berries linger and really come out in the aftertaste, but for the most part it is a very tart fresh blueberry flavor up front that sticks around and slowly fades. A little citrus lemon sourness as well.
m- At first it was almost over carbonated and hard to drink and get any flavor to compete with the mouth burning bubbles, but as it warmed up it became much better.
d- After the carbonation subsided and i got used to the sour flavors, it became very drinkable. Overall a great sour, but not my favorite Cantillon. A big thanks to Adam and Mike for getting me this.

EDIT: Recently tried a batch 6 and it was MUCH better. Red pour with pinkish head, strong blueberry smell, some lemon. Very sour, sour blueberries, musky cologne, farmhouse funk, grainy blueberry seeds. A tart medium body with a medium carbonation. Very drinkable. (1,122 characters)

4.53/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally. 375 ml. 2013 Vintage (about 1 month old) bottle.

Took a tasting glass @ Borefts 2013, split the rest with some people. Cork is wet on top & has taken some of the beer in, looks purple at the bottom, this one of the old Cantillon corks. Appearance is incredible, radiant purple, red grapes, pink shades, head is incredibly radiant pink but sadly disappears immediately, this looks incredible. Smell is old musty, blueberry & red grape skins, slight berries, cork, brett, funk,… not bad. Taste is musky grape skins, blueberry skins, old musty, cork, old wine, floral, musty, funk, light tart, brett,… Very dry, finishing carb. More grape skins than blueberry, not that impressive by Cantillon standards, this is a bit like St. Lamvinus but not as neat as the better bottles of that one. I will give it a good score because it is a good brew but I have rated other Cantillon’s much higher. This is clearly way overrated because it is rare but actually obtainable, that is just it. (993 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon