Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,258
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
4.8/5  rDev +6%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

2010 Vintage opened up at my end-of-law school tasting and shared with yourefragile and beandip.

A: Pours a gorgeous ruby-red/purple with a pretty decent whitish-red head. I don't think I've ever seen a beer quite this color before.

S: I literally smell something different every time I smell it I get something a little different, the funk and the blueberry aromas seem to be battling for control here and there are hints of sourness a bit of band-aid lingering in the background. This was pretty much the only aspect of the beer that wasn't mindblowing.

T: Taste is big on the blueberries up front, but it opens up into a great funkiness that meshes very well with the fruit, then finishes sour, but not overwhelmingly so. The flavors come together perfectly, making this a treat to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is stupendous, it's got very nice carbonation and it really coats your mouth and then finishes very dry, pretty much perfect.

O: When a beer is so hyped up like this one, there is concern about being disappointed in the end, but Blabaer lived up to its lofty billing without a problem. This is damn close to a perfect lambic, it's got everything you could want - fruitiness, funk, sour - in an ideal arrangement.

4.8/5  rDev +6%

This is a blueberry lambic exclusively brewed for Olbutikken, Copenhagen's best beer store.

Astounding color. Deep magenta with a super dark pink head, with little pieces of blueberry particles in the head. The beer clearly absorbed the color of the blueberries in a spectacular way. Without question, the best looking Cantillon beer I’ve seen.

The aroma is prehaps the most disappointing aspect of the beer. It’s just not nearly as powerful as I’d like. That being said, it’s still nice.

The flavor is absolutely incredible. Of all the Cantillon beers I’ve tried with fruit additions (cherries, raspberries, muscats grapes, red wine grapes, apricots, cranberries) the Danish blueberries in this beer is absolutely the best fruit addition. After the mid-palate, the blueberries become dominant. The fruit tastes lush, authentic and phenomenal. Also, for a Cantillon it’s not intensely sour like Rose De Gambrinus or Fou Foune, but instead, very well balanced. This is an incredible fruit lambic.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

A surprise share by Urbancaver - thanks Cam! '09 vintage poured into an Upland snifter between four of us. It poured out looking, well, almost exactly like fresh raspberry juice - a mellow and thin red with delicate lacing. It's really quite beautiful. Aromas of saddle leather, field grasses, very ripe strawberry and blueberry.

It packs a bit of a sour punch, almost like a sourpatch kid or strawberry jolly rancher, but with a fresh blueberry/strawberry quality and a background of the grass and leather from the aroma. The taste is very clean, and the fruit is right up front as the star of the show. The mouthfeel is much as the appearance - akin to fresh raspberry juice; it is just the right balance of alcohol, sugars, and clean juice to keep the body in check from becoming too heavy or too thin. Absolutely wonderful lambik.

2009 batch 2.

This esteemed beverage is purple in the glass, and smells like fresh blueberries and ripe armpits. The taste is blue and berryful. There is also some red wine.

Being six months old, the fruit isn't as full figured as a fresher bottle; blueberries aren't as robust to lambic as cherries, it seems.

Not worlds apart from the Lou Pepe series, but the Danish blueberries are what I'm partial to.

4.78/5  rDev +5.5%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with scoand. Beer review number 300.

Batch: 7 (2011)

A- Pours a one finger light pink foamy head that dissipates slowly, really attractive pink lacing on the sides, dark blood red color, slight purple color, hard to see through it.
S- Really nice aroma, musky, slight barnyard aroma, cobwebs, nice fruity notes, berries, fresh blueberries, funky earthy manure? Really complex.
T- Really nice taste, really complex, nice acidity, sour lemon, vinegar, nice barnyard funk, absolutely delicious, fresh blueberries come out, nice tartness.
M-Medium/light mouth feel, dry fish, acidic, puckering, sour.
O- Ok I will have to admit I put this beer on a pedestal, and in the end it did not let me down, just amazing, when it warms up a bit, the blueberries come out beautifully, just an amazing beer.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml Bottle, 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to Chris for bringing this over!

Pours a fantastic reddish purple color, hints of pink and burgundy with a nice fizzy pinkish white head that is very lively but recedes quickly, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The color though is gorgeous. The aroma is amazing, huge blueberry notes leap out of the glass, nice amount of yeast and funk, but nothing too cheesy or vinegary either, perfectly balanced. Mild amounts of wood find its way out as well. The flavors are just about perfect, lots of fresh blueberries, acetic acid, oak and funk. The balance is perfect, such a jammy, yet juicy flavor, this could be a pie filling or muffin filling. The body is perfect, while it has the acidity of most lambics and sours, this one is so soft and smooth on the tongue.

Verdict: This is fantastic and warrants the hype. This is definitely a celebration of fresh and natural blueberry.

4.76/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thanks to Stevedore for sharing such a treat. Poured into a Cantillon fruit lambic glass

Beer pours a hazy grapefruit juice color. Very interesting. I've never seen a beer that looks like this. Fizzy and intriguing. A red/purple glow permeates the beer.

Smells pretty damn sour. Lactic and green apple skin. Of course, a nice blueberry scent. It's not a sweet blueberry preserve smell, but instead a fresh tart blueberry smell.

Taste matches the smell. There are tart fresh blueberries, heavy lactic, some vinegar, some lemon, some green apple skin. There is funk in here, but to me it is covered by the flavor. Quite sour. Most sour beer I've had next to Beat.

Mouthfeel is medium, fizzy, and finishes pretty dry. I get one of those "I want more" sensations after each sip due to the lactic and dry finish.

Overall, this was indeed amazing. Lives up to the hype imo. A very unique lambic--like none I've tasted.

huge thanks to Sean9689 for bringing this

batch 4 2009 375ml

pour was a dark dirty murky pinkish ruby. kind of like ruby red grapefruit juice.

deep cherry and fresh blueberry with hints of sour lemon and dry oak.

up front, there was almost a bright cherry aspect going on. through the back end and the finish this ripe fresh blueberry just lingered and stuck to the tongue for plenty of wonderful aftertaste. nice light oak and sourness through out to really carry this. lots of depth in this.

light and zesty with mild to moderate carbonation. some dryness in the finish. dry blueberry in the mouth afterwards.

overall, amazing. nuff said.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon