Join our email list →

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Lambic - Fruit | 5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with scoand. Beer review number 300.

Batch: 7 (2011)

A- Pours a one finger light pink foamy head that dissipates slowly, really attractive pink lacing on the sides, dark blood red color, slight purple color, hard to see through it.
S- Really nice aroma, musky, slight barnyard aroma, cobwebs, nice fruity notes, berries, fresh blueberries, funky earthy manure? Really complex.
T- Really nice taste, really complex, nice acidity, sour lemon, vinegar, nice barnyard funk, absolutely delicious, fresh blueberries come out, nice tartness.
M-Medium/light mouth feel, dry fish, acidic, puckering, sour.
O- Ok I will have to admit I put this beer on a pedestal, and in the end it did not let me down, just amazing, when it warms up a bit, the blueberries come out beautifully, just an amazing beer.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing!

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Small pour of the 2007 black foil vintage generously shared by Shaun Hill himself on the night before HF anniversary. Hazy pinkish pour with a few bubbles of foam. Aroma is a pure wonder. Lots of blueberry remains on the aroma despite this bottle’s age, with the regular lambic aromas coming out as a nice dry spiciness, almost peppery. Taste is super fruity but quite acidic too. Never has there been such a perfect match between a fruit’s acidic/sweet character and lambic’s funk/acidity. Everything just blends perfectly into one of my new favourite beers all time. Stunning.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2012
(A)- A sexy crimson burgundy color with some purple-like highlights. Some light white froth that dissipated quickly
(S)- Mildly tart up front but rich jammy blueberry fruits. Subtle oaky funk. Slight stone-like mineral bit on the finish. A dynamic smell despite some age on the bottle
(T)- Just a sexy beer. Rich, jammy blueberries meets a stoney oak funk. Mildly tart to really up the complexity
(M)- A fantastic carbonation level. Silky smooth with just the right amount of fruit, tartness, and oaky funk to balance well yet still creating a complex and dynamic mouthfeel
(O)- So happy to have finally tried this very long time want. It is not Cantillon's best, but that is like saying I had mediocre sex. . . its still sex

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml Bottle, 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to Chris for bringing this over!

Pours a fantastic reddish purple color, hints of pink and burgundy with a nice fizzy pinkish white head that is very lively but recedes quickly, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The color though is gorgeous. The aroma is amazing, huge blueberry notes leap out of the glass, nice amount of yeast and funk, but nothing too cheesy or vinegary either, perfectly balanced. Mild amounts of wood find its way out as well. The flavors are just about perfect, lots of fresh blueberries, acetic acid, oak and funk. The balance is perfect, such a jammy, yet juicy flavor, this could be a pie filling or muffin filling. The body is perfect, while it has the acidity of most lambics and sours, this one is so soft and smooth on the tongue.

Verdict: This is fantastic and warrants the hype. This is definitely a celebration of fresh and natural blueberry.

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks Drewmrprs for the bottle. Review #1000. This will be a day long remembered.

It has been an interesting two and a half years here on beeradvocate.com. The reviews and tastings mounted up, though sometimes it seemed like the more I tried to tighten my grip, the more rare beers slipped through my fingers. I've enjoyed many great brews, benefited from teeming throngs of generous BA'ers trading stuff my way, and subjected my recalcitrant liver to too many mornings in which I'd wished I had perhaps only knocked out one review the night before. What a ride it has been.

The Blabaer Lambik seemed like a fitting choice for review 1000. I've always wanted to try it, the buzz about it is overwhelmingly positive, and I'd like to think that my acid, tart contributions to the message board vibe perfectly with what I expected the beer to taste like.

Pours a deep purplish pink. Very unique color. When held to light, has more of a ruby-ish, glowing haze look to it. The streams coming from the bottom look like the finest champagne. Something I imagine Christopher Walken offering to a lady he's trying to romance. Absolutely perfect frothy white/pink head, maybe half an inch, and it stayed half an inch for most of the bottle.

Smells ... tart. Whoa. I should have known not to expect a Lindemans abomination, but I perhaps did not expect this much puckering of my nether regions. There's a hint of berries ... they kind of smell blue ... but there's also a ton of funk notes, oak, and ... I don't know, is that the sad distilled essence of slaughtered dryads? I can't be sure. While it's a nice aroma, it may, perhaps, be the least appealing thing about the beer ... which tells you how phenomenal the rest is.

Taste. is. fantastic. The berries are much more noticeable in the flavor, but no hint of sweetness in this bone dry, tart, acidic beast. Well, maybe just a tad, after you've been through half a bottle and your sour taste buds have raised the white flag and gone home to France. Bursting, unripe but still flavorful-ly sour blueberries, a crazy oak background that seems like they tossed the entire tree in, and a nice leathery tannin texture that adds an extra dimension. Let it linger on your tongue and it keeps evolving. Did I mention this was sour? It's crazy sour. In the immortal words of Governor Jesse Ventura: "THIS STUFF WILL MAKE YOU A SEXUAL TYRANNOSAURUS, LIKE ME!"

Perfect mouthfeel. For such a sour beer, excellent drinkability. Sadly, though, it is over all too soon. Just as the mountains erode into pebbles of dirt, and we all eventually succumb the creeping inevitability of death, so too did I guzzle my sole bottle of Blabaer Lambik down my gullet.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

2010 Vintage opened up at my end-of-law school tasting and shared with yourefragile and beandip.

A: Pours a gorgeous ruby-red/purple with a pretty decent whitish-red head. I don't think I've ever seen a beer quite this color before.

S: I literally smell something different every time I smell it I get something a little different, the funk and the blueberry aromas seem to be battling for control here and there are hints of sourness a bit of band-aid lingering in the background. This was pretty much the only aspect of the beer that wasn't mindblowing.

T: Taste is big on the blueberries up front, but it opens up into a great funkiness that meshes very well with the fruit, then finishes sour, but not overwhelmingly so. The flavors come together perfectly, making this a treat to drink.

M: Mouthfeel is stupendous, it's got very nice carbonation and it really coats your mouth and then finishes very dry, pretty much perfect.

O: When a beer is so hyped up like this one, there is concern about being disappointed in the end, but Blabaer lived up to its lofty billing without a problem. This is damn close to a perfect lambic, it's got everything you could want - fruitiness, funk, sour - in an ideal arrangement.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

This is a blueberry lambic exclusively brewed for Olbutikken, Copenhagen's best beer store.

Astounding color. Deep magenta with a super dark pink head, with little pieces of blueberry particles in the head. The beer clearly absorbed the color of the blueberries in a spectacular way. Without question, the best looking Cantillon beer I’ve seen.

The aroma is prehaps the most disappointing aspect of the beer. It’s just not nearly as powerful as I’d like. That being said, it’s still nice.

The flavor is absolutely incredible. Of all the Cantillon beers I’ve tried with fruit additions (cherries, raspberries, muscats grapes, red wine grapes, apricots, cranberries) the Danish blueberries in this beer is absolutely the best fruit addition. After the mid-palate, the blueberries become dominant. The fruit tastes lush, authentic and phenomenal. Also, for a Cantillon it’s not intensely sour like Rose De Gambrinus or Fou Foune, but instead, very well balanced. This is an incredible fruit lambic.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.

Shared with some fellow BAers at our December Big Boy Bottle Tasting.

A: Super dark reddish purple color. The purplish head was really nice looking but it quickly dissipates. Little floaties maybe seeds, are visible when held up to light.

S: Fruit right up front. This beer had an incredible balance between tartness and some funk. Both were quite intense.

T: Intense tartness right up front. The blueberry fruit very subtly but goes so well with the tart sour taste. Perfectly balanced.

M: amazing. A touch dry in the finish. Fantastic carbonation

O: One of the best beers I have ever had. Simply amazing. Cantillon truly makes phenomenal beers

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Shared a bottle at Olbutikken with Morten and others in the store. Was happy to be able to try, but concerned about the hype. No worries, An amazing lambic. Absolutely beautiful color and clarity. Nose was so fresh and bright. Funk was upfront. but gently restrained. Really enhanced rather than dominated the flavor Blueberry flavor was complex and reminded me more of eating slightly unripe berries from the garden. Leaned toward tartness rather sweet blueberry pie. Malts and yeast merged to provide additional flavors and accents. Smooth, delightful carbonation. Wonderfully drinkable
It's a shame that this beer is not more available. Understand why, but this would be such a great beer outings, accompanying picnics, sipping on the deck and sharing with friends. This is not a beer to limit to tastings and talk.

Cantillon Blabaer Lambik
Vintage: 2012

Poured into a tulip glass from a 750ml bottle.

Pours a deep awesome dark purple color with. Very dark. So appealing. There is a nice 1 inch purple/pink head that forms and recedes a quicker pace down to a thin film. So attractive. (5.0)

Aroma starts off with some slight vinegar that is then overwhelmed by awesome fruity tartness. Blueberries, blueberries, blueberries!! Amazing. There is some nice chalky yeast notes that blend in with the deep dark blueberry sweetness. There is then a nice blend of the sweetness with the berry tartness. (5.0)

Starts off with some nice wild yeast tartness and good fruity sour hints as well. There is some good barrel note with the brew that blends so well with the fruit tartness. The middle of the brew showcases more of the sweetness but with still that wild yeasty funk and some good dry tartness. There is such a great balance in this brew between the woody oak, the fruit, be it tart or sweet, and the awesome wild yeast funk notes. Body is very crisp and with a dry finish. Tartness is good but not overwhelming. Great brew. (4.5)(4.5)

I’m pretty lucky to try this brew. There is such a great balance of the main Lambic qualities and flavors; from the fruit notes to the oak and tartness. Amazing. (5.0)

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

12/25/2012 at the Mikkeller Bar, Copenhagen, Denmark. 2012 Vintage.

My ridiculously priced Christmas gift to myself...when in Rome...

This beer pours a gorgeous purple/blue-ish red with a finger of purple-tinged head. Lacing sticks nicely all the way down the glass. On the nose, upon first opening, it is musty with subdued blueberry notes. The classic barnyard smells are present in droves - leather, dirty horse blanket and some manure. The blueberry notes begin to take over the nose the longer it is open and it forms a nice harmony with the musty, barnyard notes.

In terms of taste, it is very similar to the nose. Upfront it is all must, leather and other brettanomyces induced flavors. In the mid-palate blueberries come through but are quite subdued at first. After being open for about 15 minutes though, the blueberries come to life and take center stage. The blueberry is intense but not too sweet and very vibrant. These juicy blueberry flavors provide an excellent balance to the musty-ness. The blueberries are followed by the typical Cantillon mouth-puckering tartness however beneath this the blueberries are still present. It finishes dry with a sweet undercurrent of the juicy blueberries.

A amazing lambic! It is very typical Cantillon but much, much more vibrant. It is a drop-dead gorgeous beer. The taste is quite similar in beauty with its harmony between dry earth and must, and sweet blueberry. It's exceptionally balanced and it takes your palate on quite a ride. It's an unmissable beer that is undoubtedly my favorite lambic.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage, poured from a 375ml. Poured very hazy with a great ruby/purple color and small pinkish head. Some blueberries on the nose, musty, lots of funk. Initial sweetness from the blueberries up front, but quickly fades to a very nice sour and funk taste. Nice dry, lingering finish with a tart aftertaste. Overall an excellent blueberry lambic.

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

750mL corked and capped bottle 2011 batch poured into flute reviewed on 8/14/11.

A: Pours an absolutely gorgeous deep purple color with reddish purple hues when held in the light. Beer is topped with a thin purple-pink head that floats on top of the beer from beginning to end.

S: Beautiful aroma full of tartness, funk, oak, berries and some citrus notes as well.

T: Nice and tart, moderately acidic with a fair amount of barnyard funk that goes quite well with the oak and berry flavors. Leaves a lingering tartness and taste of berries after each sip. I have never had a true bilberry before but the berry character of the beer is similar to what I would expect from blueberries.

M: Nice light and crisp body on the lighter side with moderate carbonation, finishes nice and dry.

O: One of the better examples of lambic that I have tried, great balance of tartness and flavor. Too bad that its as limited and sought after as it is because I would love to drink this more often than is realistic.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

9.7/10

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler glass at Øltibukken store in Copenhagen Denmark. Vintage 2014, 375ml bottle.

Big deep ruby red color like a gem. An absolute crystal clear gem, no hints of darker or lighter hues of different colors. Shines crystal clear. A faint pink head dissolves with a little bit of suds, but even manages some carbonation while in a simple conical tumbler. One of the most impressive colors on any beer I have ever seen. Doesn't get any better for a lambic.

Fascinating aroma. Bouquet fills with earth funky notes, slightly ashy but even more so with hints of garden mushroom and fresh tilled soil. Fruit angle is all over and surprisingly varied. Blueberries of course but also sour cherry, raspberry, even peach like fuzz which works out amazingly.

THe first sip is exquisite. While the fruit comes nicely with funky aromas, there is a great melding sweetness of balsamic vinegar to match. It's as if it is drizzled all over a salad bowl filled with fruits of cherry, blueberry and so forth. Great funk acid tones on this, with much of the earthy bouquet matching nicely.

Everything is incredibly balanced with wild yeast taking the first notes, and fruit following with sweet acidic tones. Not quite Rodenbach sweetness but unique all it's own. Extremely complex and balanced. The feel even for a lambic, does come off a little less impressive. Depth in malt even comes across light, but the flavors easily push through. Fun carbonation. Hinting at light seltzery qualities but never getting there from a large palate that is complex

What more needs to be said? A great lambic, probably the best blueberry beer of any style by far I have ever had. Not my favorite Cantillon, but does this get any better? No, unequivocally not even close.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

I received this beer a couple of months ago from a friend in Belgium. Dated 2009 with what appears to be a "D" next to it. Decided tonight was a good night to give it a run. Split with my wife and poured into a Westvleteren chalice and a champagne flute. We've both been digging different sours lately and apparently consensus implies this is the best available.

Poured a cloudy plum that was a lot thicker and more purple than I anticipated. Very murky in there with little light passing through. A short pink-hued head formed but disintegrated within a very short while, leaving only a slight lace.

Smell was largely what I anticipated, minus the blueberries. Tart, funky, horse blanket. Tart fruit - but not blueberries. Still a great smelling beer, I just expected a bit more on the "berry" side.

But the blueberries rear their heads in the drink. Tart is the first taste to arrive followed very closely by sour blueberries. The funky sour is so appealing - definitely what I look for in this style of beer. There is virtually no sweet at all, which is ideal for my tastes. Perfectly carbonated and medium-bodied, this is a treat to drink.

I was definitely impressed with the Blabaer. The smell was really the only part of the session that fell short of my expectations. It's too bad it is such a tricky brew to corral; this is one I could drink all night. My wife was not quite as impressed - while she certainly enjoyed it, it wasn't until she pulled out the chocolate covered strawberries that she was truly convinced. It'll rank high on our list of sours, but unfortunately its scarcity is going to prevent it from being one of our go-to beers.

Consumed: 5/1/2010

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%

Big thanks to Todes for sharing this rare treat, now forever immortalized in alfrantzell's epic poem 'My Blåbær'. Since his ode has rendered further extolling vapid, I will tick briefly...

A - It looks like unfiltered cranberry juice, with scant wispy head.

S - It smells of Band-Aid, generally medicinal, and of blackberry bushes and fresh picked fruit

T - Amazing; huge rustic wild berry flavor. Exceptionally balanced.

M - The best mouthfeel I've ever encountered from this style of brew. Velvety and so substantial, yet not particularly viscous

D - Insanely good.