Microbrew Invitational

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Brasserie Cantillon
Belgium | website

Style: Lambic - Fruit

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
2015 first year with the year printed on the label and not handwritten

Added by Crosling on 04-11-2007

Reviews: 236 | Ratings: 714
4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Small pour of the 2007 black foil vintage generously shared by Shaun Hill himself on the night before HF anniversary. Hazy pinkish pour with a few bubbles of foam. Aroma is a pure wonder. Lots of blueberry remains on the aroma despite this bottle’s age, with the regular lambic aromas coming out as a nice dry spiciness, almost peppery. Taste is super fruity but quite acidic too. Never has there been such a perfect match between a fruit’s acidic/sweet character and lambic’s funk/acidity. Everything just blends perfectly into one of my new favourite beers all time. Stunning.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2012
(A)- A sexy crimson burgundy color with some purple-like highlights. Some light white froth that dissipated quickly
(S)- Mildly tart up front but rich jammy blueberry fruits. Subtle oaky funk. Slight stone-like mineral bit on the finish. A dynamic smell despite some age on the bottle
(T)- Just a sexy beer. Rich, jammy blueberries meets a stoney oak funk. Mildly tart to really up the complexity
(M)- A fantastic carbonation level. Silky smooth with just the right amount of fruit, tartness, and oaky funk to balance well yet still creating a complex and dynamic mouthfeel
(O)- So happy to have finally tried this very long time want. It is not Cantillon's best, but that is like saying I had mediocre sex. . . its still sex

Drank from a 375 ml bottle
Vintage 09-II
Served in a wine glass
Acquired in a trade with ricke

Review #600

My girlfriend and I have been waiting a long time to try this rarity. If the illustration on the label is any indication of this beer's tartness, I know that we are in for a treat.

The beer poured a stunning, rosey-mauve color. Quite hazy. A small, bubbly cap of light pink froth topped the liquid and quickly dissipated to a resilient ring. Sheets of sparkling lace cascaded down the glass with each sip but none actually stuck to the glass.

Tons of must and barnyard funk came through in the wildly interesting and potent nose. Crisp and quite tart with an underlying note of berry-like sweetness. Lots of fresh hay and lemon peel too. Overall, quite sharp yet pleasant. Put simply, "wow."

Like the nose, the flavor profile was amazingly funky and complex. The berry-like tartness hit hard right away and never really let up. Lots of funkiness and horse blanket notes came through as well. Quite leathery. A mild, fruity sweetness was also detectible. At times I thought I tasted blueberries, but I think this was merely psychosomatic. On second thought, the berry notes seemed more akin to strawberries than anything else. Sharp, super acidic lemon and vinegar notes dominated the crisp, dry finish. Some earthy, woody notes were noticeable as well.

Really nice mouthfeel. The fine yet lively effervescence created a slick creaminess to the body not typically found in the style.

This was undoubtedly the most intense and complex spontaneously fermented beer I have ever sampled. Needless to say, it definitely lives up to the hype. I am very grateful that I had the opportunity to sample this rare gem.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well.

look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml Bottle, 2011 Vintage. Huge thanks to Chris for bringing this over!

Pours a fantastic reddish purple color, hints of pink and burgundy with a nice fizzy pinkish white head that is very lively but recedes quickly, no lacing or head retention to speak of. The color though is gorgeous. The aroma is amazing, huge blueberry notes leap out of the glass, nice amount of yeast and funk, but nothing too cheesy or vinegary either, perfectly balanced. Mild amounts of wood find its way out as well. The flavors are just about perfect, lots of fresh blueberries, acetic acid, oak and funk. The balance is perfect, such a jammy, yet juicy flavor, this could be a pie filling or muffin filling. The body is perfect, while it has the acidity of most lambics and sours, this one is so soft and smooth on the tongue.

Verdict: This is fantastic and warrants the hype. This is definitely a celebration of fresh and natural blueberry.

Date: 07/31/2010
Type: 375ml. Bottle
Vintage: 2009
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip

Tasted at the Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and Dan. Good times!

Poured a strawberry red in color w/ a skim coat white head that left no lacing on the glass. Nose was of earthy blueberries in PVC pipe - crazy! I attempted to slurp my first sip to pull more flavors into the nose, and it literally curled my nose hairs! Taste was the most amazingly tart blueberries you could imagine. The mouthfeel was thin, crisp, and refreshing. Drinkability? Give me as much as you have. Very sessionable.

Overall, finally got taste this brew and was not disappointed. Will be seeking out more for sure.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%

12/17/10. Bottle shared with huge thanks to Keith (fata2683) before he moved to AZ! Nice purple and brown pour with a nice solid white head that is fluffy but goes fast. Big funky aroma with soapy fruits, tannic fruit skins, and yeast. Huge puckering sour flavor that lingers with huge blueberry skin... I’m very impressed by the sourness without huge acid and vinegar. Amazing!

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

375 ml 2009 bottle split between two tulips and shared with fellow BA Danny at his place in North San Diego County.

Pours a blue-purple with more of a head than most Cantillons I've had the opportunity to sample. The light pinkish-lavender hued head settles quickly but leaves a thick ring around the edges of the glass for the entire tasting.

The lambic funky aroma is very strong but anchored in place surprisingly well by the very clearly defined fruity blueberry notes. The style requisite tart character really works well with this particular fruit.

Blueberry flavors are much stronger on this bottle than I thought based on the observations shared with me by others who have tried it. Acidic, sweet, and oak barrel flavors are perfectly in balance. I'm glad I tried this relatively fresh because although it wasn't as funky as some aged Cantillon bottles I've tried I really enjoyed how much the fruit flavor was intact.

I almost expected a letdown on this brew because of some of the rarity induced hype but this is very impressive even for a Cantillon and among the best beers I've ever tried. Hopefully I can land some more in the near future.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

A surprise share by Urbancaver - thanks Cam! '09 vintage poured into an Upland snifter between four of us. It poured out looking, well, almost exactly like fresh raspberry juice - a mellow and thin red with delicate lacing. It's really quite beautiful. Aromas of saddle leather, field grasses, very ripe strawberry and blueberry.

It packs a bit of a sour punch, almost like a sourpatch kid or strawberry jolly rancher, but with a fresh blueberry/strawberry quality and a background of the grass and leather from the aroma. The taste is very clean, and the fruit is right up front as the star of the show. The mouthfeel is much as the appearance - akin to fresh raspberry juice; it is just the right balance of alcohol, sugars, and clean juice to keep the body in check from becoming too heavy or too thin. Absolutely wonderful lambik.

2009 batch 2.

This esteemed beverage is purple in the glass, and smells like fresh blueberries and ripe armpits. The taste is blue and berryful. There is also some red wine.

Being six months old, the fruit isn't as full figured as a fresher bottle; blueberries aren't as robust to lambic as cherries, it seems.

Not worlds apart from the Lou Pepe series, but the Danish blueberries are what I'm partial to.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

750 ml bottle poured into a Darkness snifter, sharred with scoand. Beer review number 300.

Batch: 7 (2011)

A- Pours a one finger light pink foamy head that dissipates slowly, really attractive pink lacing on the sides, dark blood red color, slight purple color, hard to see through it.
S- Really nice aroma, musky, slight barnyard aroma, cobwebs, nice fruity notes, berries, fresh blueberries, funky earthy manure? Really complex.
T- Really nice taste, really complex, nice acidity, sour lemon, vinegar, nice barnyard funk, absolutely delicious, fresh blueberries come out, nice tartness.
M-Medium/light mouth feel, dry fish, acidic, puckering, sour.
O- Ok I will have to admit I put this beer on a pedestal, and in the end it did not let me down, just amazing, when it warms up a bit, the blueberries come out beautifully, just an amazing beer.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Got this one from Joey, thank you kind sir!

375 ml. corked bottle poured into a tulip. 2009 vintage.

A very slow gusher, and by slow, I mean younger35 slow. Pours a deep purple body, almost black, with a quick dark pink three finger head that falls quickly to a foamy layer of goodness which lasts throughout. Minimal lacing, but still a beautiful brew with amazing colors. Aroma is packed with dark berries; blueberries, blackberries, and some red grapes as well. Underneath the berries is some funky hay and vinegar, but not overpowering. Taste starts with the sweet blueberries again but is quickly followed by a balancing tartness. Midway the horse blanket and grassy flavors emerge and dry up the mouth. Aftertaste consists of citrus zest, elderberries, and some earthy flavors. Love. This baby has a lot of life on the tongue as well. Fluffy, bubbly, and crisp...an absolute delight. Too easy to drink, total beergasm...I really need more. Thanks so much Joey!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Edit, almost forgot 2009 bottle unsure of batch # at the moment...but judging from the quick notes at that other beer site, I would guess I have batch #4.

First let me preface by saying I grew up on a 44 acre Cattle and Horse farm that had wild blueberries, wild strawberries, wild apples, wild blackberries, wild pears, and a few other little goodies growing on the property. And I believe it's that reason that I truly love this brew.

I poured directly from the fridge into a Lindemans tulip (how many of you want to kill me for that?). Pours wonderfully, although quite hazy. This could be the fridge more than the beer though. For some reason my fridge always tends to chill haze lambics and gueuze.

A dark mix of garnet and deep violet create almost a mahogany color topped with a very interesting head. It has this amazingly pink center that fades ever so gradually down a hue to a whiter pink on the edges. As an artist I find this color ramping to be sublime.

Initial impressions on the nose are a vinergary tartness but it actually feels as though it's alive. The tartness level literally felt like it curled inward progressively. I loved it. The usual funk/barnyardy smells are present and make a strong showing which then seem to literally morph into a wild blueberry tartness. And I swear I pickup some stinky cheese (but a good stink) about midway through the nose.

Still chilly at this moment. I definitely taste the cheesiness in the middle to the end. Some more vinegary notes compliment the odd cheesiness well. The blueberries are almost a flash at this temperature. The tartness increases towards the middle with the fruit flavor literally flicking your tongue on initial taste.

The fruit flavor is sublime to say the least. If you like wild berries, this is just amazing. Dominated by wild blueberry, with some flavors/consitencies that seem like the skins as well with a slight grapefruit tartness. I can best describe the wild blues as to me, tasting like a grapefruit with a light zesting of lemon rind, perhaps a drip or two of fresh lime juice.

---
As it is now rounding the recommended temp I feel I should divulge further.

So much more wild blueberries on the nose. The smell has almost become the inverse of what it was. Now the cheese is playing the low and slow role. It hints in the front, but the blues now dominate from middle to end.

While intriguing cold, this is now changing into a wild blue bomb. Cheese & vinegar await you the second you swallow, but I am just blown away by the wild blue flavors. Also picking up some very subtle oaky notes in the front of the smell.

Mouthfeel appears to thin a little as it warms, but it coats your mouth so wonderfully I couldn't give it a lower score. It seems to clean itself up so well as it travels.

The aftertaste is no longer in the middle of the tongue as it was earlier (I swear it stuck dead center with the berry-ness). It now is a clawing sourness that I love more than anything. Literally feels as if there are two hands clasping the sides of my tongue. Loving this, extremely pleasant.

Sorry for the book, this is my first review and I have literally two pages of notes and feelings about this particular brew.

Thank you Cantillon and Jepe!

I prefer gueuze in most situations, but I find myself unable to put this down and not think about it, although I'm sure rarity and excitement play into that here's the real reason...

Directly quoted from my notes:

"This farm boy is practically time traveling to a simpler year. Cliche I know, but honestly I am awash with feelings and memories of growing up on the farm. Barefoot through the grass, eating handfuls of wild fruits, running with the horses as a child...Highly recommended to ANY country folk, I'm curious if this brew envokes anything similiar for the city dwellers. I could literally smell and daydream all day with this beer in hand!"

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I finally got a chance to try this beer, thanks Jeppe! The beer poured a hazy, deep amber almost crimson body, dense. Vigorour head formed, vibrant pint color that receeded quickly and left a full ring on the edge. The nose was very tart, earthy and a bit of exotic fruit. The taste...tart, tart, tart! Don't get me wrong, the taste is excellent. The blueberry notes are strong, fresh and wonderful. There is also some citrus and pepper on the tongue. If you take a look at the label, the face tells you the story of this beer. Tart yet wonderful. Well worth the effort to get it.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I was waiting for some time for the chance to try this and was glad I got the opportunity. Enjoyed from the 750ml into a cantillon tulip.

A reddish purple hue with thick pink band after settling. The bead is of various sizes with lace that sticks pretty well. The clarity of this beer is on the translucent side. The smell is great, the funk is huge in this with big berry fruity aroma and mild phenolic accent which is slightly medicinal at first but seems to mellow allowing the dark berry odors to take over with a slight floral and woody note. There is a mild tart berry skin hint with a nice amount of oak and light herbal tinges. The feel has a tannic and juicy astringent acidity up front which makes way for some slight sweet fruit flesh tinges and the sour yeast which has a clean lactic sour quality and still adds a mild spice effect with the moderately high carbonation.

A blueberry taste is apparent with big fruity tart taste and bit phenolic flavor that carries over where the aroma leaves off. There is a lactic type of flavor with mild acidic puckering quality. The taste has a gentle woody tinge with mild bitter aspect in the background. The taste has more of an earthy accent as it warms with the funk flavor coming out to meet the fruit and sour taste with the tart pie-like berry blueberry tart tatste. Overall I was overjoyed with the experience. I find this to be a great fruit beer with a nice sourness from the wild yeast without becoming too overwhelming...the perfect blend practically of berry and wild yeast. I really enjoyed this and there is very little to find fault with -Kudos Cantillon!

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Batch 7 Cantillon (2011) 750ml. Shared with buds at Bill's blueberry homebrew club tasting (think it won hands down). Pours a cloudy pink with a nice head. Great aroma of barnyard funk and blueberries. Aroma fills the glass with straw and a sour citrus that makes you want to smell it as much as drink it. Creamy mouthfeel with a balance of sweet and sour fruit and a complex mixture of blueberries, funk, apricots and lemon zest. Nicely balanced. Finish is dry and lingers on the tongue. Very nice stuff.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

I didn't think I'd get the chance to try this one.

Pours a deep blue/purple, wispy foam. It looks unique and very tasty, no doubt.

Aroma is of wild tart blueberries, a little chocolate, and...a good deal of something that I would describe as "gas station bathroom." Heavy funk presence....funky in a way I don't think I've smelled it in beer before. This seemed to subside as it warmed, giving way to more of a pure tart berry aroma.

Taste is dominated by tart berries - blueberries, but probably also raspberry, blackberry...more of a "mixed berry." Suggestions of chocolate, and the famed Cantillon sourness. Though this isn't the most sour Cantillon out there. It doesn't bowl you over with acidity, which I think is a good thing....it allows you to really taste the berries. Very decadent-tasting beer.

Excellent level of carbonation as well. Bubbly, but does not get in the way of the taste at all.

For me, this lived up to the hype. I could easily drink a lot of it...of course, I know that will never happen given the scarcity and high demand for these bottles.

4.82/5  rDev +6.6%

Had the first three batches of this at the DC epic sour tasting. This rating of 4.3 is for 2007 first batch (so technically batch 2 overall). Batch 1 rating: thanks to ygtbsm94! clear, light orange witha very small white lace on the edge. Nose isnt much blueberry but noticeable since I knew what to look for. Taste is quite geuze like. Super smooth on the palate although quite sour. Definitely more geuze like than fruit lambic. Excellent brew. 4.0

Batch 2 rating: Thanks to tarheels86. Totally different! Deep ruby pour, slightly murky. YOu can actually get blueberry in the nose. Is much more acetic. Very similar sour level to the cantillon kriek. Really really nice sour. Much more acetic and much more blueberry than the batch 1. Very pleasant and drinkable. 4.4

Batch 3 rating: thanks to ygtbsm94. mellowed out. Much better head and retention. Definitely increased carbonation from batch 2, though softer mouthfeel, less blueberry, and less body. 3.9

Batch 5 rating bottle thanks to wavers1. Poured a deep ruby with a light pink, thin head. Nose is tart berry and apparent sourness. If blind, I wouldn’t have placed it as blueberry alone. More mixed cherry/blackberry. Funk. Taste was not as sour/funky as nose indicates, but very tasty and balanced. Mouthfeel was smooth, not as tart, balanced between full berry flavor, tartness, and more berry. Very berry. Probably the most fruit of the batches that I have had. 9 4 8 4 16= 4.1

Batch 6 rating: bottle thanks to Ryan. Best of the 5 I’ve had. Deep ruby red/pink pour with a large frothy pink head. Aroma is a pungent sour blueberry. This is batch 2 on steroids. More fruit and more sour than batch 2, which was my previous favorite. The taste is blueberry skins, bitter rind, tannins. Most of the blueberry comes at the end. Incredibly sour and fruity. 9 4 10 5 19=4.7

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very lucky to be able check this one off the list finally! As soon as I popped the cork the blueberry aroma hits you....tons of blueberry on the palate as well! Glorious Cantillon offering but I think it is on the same level as Fou and LPF.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

Shared my bottle with a few fellow BAs the other night. We opened this up last after cracking bottles of Black Tuesday, FW 13 and a few other beers. This was the perfect end to the night and was really a nice contrast to the big brews from earlier in the night.

2009 375ml bottle poured three-ways into champagne flutes.

A: Rich reddish-purple body with a lively, bubbly pink head. Held on for quite some time before receding. Never quite died down though. Nice sticky, spotty lacing.

S: Bold, sweet blueberries. Light funky-tartness. Subtle vinegar undertones.

T: Absolutely incredible. The blueberries here are very refined. In general they give off a slightly sweet character, but are deliciously tart and sour as well. There is a nice lambic acidity that contributes an earthy, vinegar funk to round out this delightful beverage.

M: Light bodied with a nice effervescent, yet restrained carbonation level. Smooth with a nice crisp dry finish. The only knock on this here is the blueberry sludge, which I am assuming is left over blueberry skins which settled into the last sip of the glass. Slightly off putting, but a marginal flaw at most.

D: Out of this world. This really was a treat. To cap off the tasting with this was a superb decision. Now I just have to find more ammo to get more of this!

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

2009 375ml bottle shared with Weisguy for a mini lambic tasting.
Served a bit too cold, but hey, it’s January in Michigan. Poured a blueberry pulp red with lots of purple and a nice frothy white head. Immediate smell is vinegar even after just uncapping! The nose definitely foreshadowed the taste as it packs a powerful acidic kick in the mouth. Bit of sparkling fruit soda mid-taste & on the palate, but very enjoyable. Tastes very similar to Cantillon Kriek and it’s hard to get much blueberry out of the beer until sampling the last 4 ounces of dregs/sediment. The surprising acidity of the beer (for a 2009) burns lightly on the finish. Extremely drinkable. 8/4/8/5/17
Re-rate for 2009 (batch 4) 750ml: Shared by Dan at Derek’s first visit back tasting in April. Pours a vibrant purple with a pinkish head. Smell is a bit of funk, sweet blueberries, and vanilla. Taste is sour, funky, but accompanied by acidic blueberry skin with a dry finish. Woah, this was a very different beer compared to the batch 5 375ml I opened up some short time before. Way more blueberry fruit on the nose and taste which made all the difference in balancing the beer out. 9/4/9/5/20

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

A HUGE thank you to schen9303 for sharing this one. 2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and caged bottle into a Duchess wine glass. The 100th reviewer for this rarity!

A: Gentle pour yields a .5 finger fine, pink colored head with moderate retention that fades into a thin wisp that lingers atop a cloudy, near opaque, deep purple brew. Lacing is spotty and sparse with little cling. Not much to look at but very appropriate for the style which is nearly still and unfiltered.

S: Nose is immensely oaky and fruity. Blueberries linger in the background and create a nice, sweet backdrop. Oak and barrels are upfront and a subtle tartness tickles the nose. Very aromatic and perfect for a lambic.

T: Opens sweet and tart, but subtle. Sour hides in the back but comes to the forefront little by little, supported by a dose of wood. Blueberries are present from the beginning to end and maintain an absurd level of balance. Vinegary finish is drying and seems to burn a hole in my stomach. Aftertaste is fruity and dry but lingers on the cheeks.

M: Medium bodied with very subtle carbonation. Silky smooth and filmy in the mouth with a dryness that builds as the beer lingers and warms. Finish is drying and puckering with an aftertaste that seems to suck the saliva from my mouth.

D: All day, every day. That's the only real way to describe the drinkability on this one. I've never EVER had a beer that comes close to as good as this one. Perfection in almost every way. The best lambic I've had to date by a mile. And indeed, probably the best beer I've come across to this point.

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Big thanks go to Rastacouere for sending over a bottle of this when he was in Danemark. 2006 vintage, bottled in 2007.

Appearance: Gorgeous light purple, almost rosée colored brew topped by a pinkish head that was pretty generous for Lambic, let alone a Cantillon.

Smell: That telltale barnyard funky aroma was all wet hay and dirty stables, with a very assertive fruit character that oscillated between raspberries, rhubarb and strawberries.

Taste: Carbonation was not as prickly as other fruit lambic I've tried, and the fruit is definately in the forefront here, and it's all blueberry, but the kind that just a bit unripe, when they're sort of greenish blue. I can't tell you if they were like that when they brewed this, but it certainly worked out extremely well. The acidity seemed somehow separated from the flavor, as if every sip came with two acts, the flavorful rush of fruit flavor, then acidity, that was drying and refreshing - sounds contradictory, but it isn't - but was at a very sustained level, not as massive and brutal as some of the other fruit lambics. It was probably one of the most balanced lambics I've ever sampled. Lord knows people have tried and failed to make good blueberry Beers, but this style seems like a perfect fit. It went down insanely well, and was an absolute orgasmic match with trappist-made chocolate-dipped blueberries I just happened to have (it's the season here in Quebec). This one is a masterpiece.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon