Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,257
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Joey the owner of Cigar City Brewing for bringing this to the LCBS 10. The pour was ruby red with barnyard aromas. This beer was smooth and not overly sour with tart blueberries and sour cherries dominating the scene. Just amazing twist on a blueberry sour ale...

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

thanks to Sean9689 for trading this treat to me!

375ml bottle; vintage 2012; batch 8.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: an opaque medium reddish purple bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head that drops down quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: fruity and funky sour beer with a touch of vinegar. This beer has a well balanced nose between with the fruit and the funk. Blueberry skins with musty and dusty funk.

Taste: Blueberries that are both sweet and tart. Also some notes of red berries as well. Nice oak barrel presence that is tannic and its earthy too. The funk flavor is both musty basement and wet straw. This beer has a nice sour pucker that is about a 5.5 out of 10. Tastes similiar to a sweetart candy. Finish gets much funkier as it warms...the musty funk really transforms into that horse blanket sweaty funk that Cantillion is know for. A hint of lemon, grapefruit, and berries in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation isnt as aggressive as most Cantillions that I have drank. It has more of a delicate carbonation that comes alive and epperveses as it hits your tongue. I do think that this beer could use just a little more carbonation. Semidry finish.

Overall: Yeah, this beer is wonderful. It is officially my new favorite Cantillion sour. I gotta say that its awesome to finally try this beer that I have been after for a while now.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Enormous thanks go out to mikesgroove for sending me this bottle in a recent trade. Shared with a few friends at a tasting yesterday.

This review is of a Batch 4 bottle (2009)

A: The pour is a fantastic looking deep purple color with a fluffy pink head on top.

S: The nose is certainly very fruity, but I don't necessarily detect a lot of blueberries. There are some great cherry, raspberry, and a mixture of other tart berries. There is also a lot of lactic tartness, but not as much in the way of funk or wood as you usually expect from Cantillon.

T: Like the nose, the fruit is really the star of the show in this beer. A mix of indistinguishable tart berries really hits you up front. The oak comes through a bit more in the flavor, but is not overpowering. While I had been noting a lack of blueberry flavor, they really come out on the finish.

M: The body is medium to full with a nice tingly carbonation on the tongue.

D: This is one of the most fruit forward lambics/wild ales I've come across. I really enjoyed the balance of the fruit and the traditional funk and sourness.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to ricke! 375 mL corked bottle poured into my favorite lambic glass (11 oz pilsner). 2009 vintage. Careful, it's a countertop stainer and a foamer!

Blueberry bits are all over this beer, and all over the cork. Inside of the cork is lavender and slimy looking, but remains intact and isn't actually rotten (thankfully). Pours with a big blueberry head, complete with small pieces of blueberry (invoking a homebrew of some sort).

Wild smell. Notes of blueberries are dominant, also sulphur compounds, old stale urine, gueuze, lots of pediococcus, wild yeast with off notes that would be a drainpour with a regular beer but it's beautiful here. I wouldn't enjoy it if I hadn't had wild ales before though...

Flavors are of tart blueberries. Wild lambic flavors are abound; this is the tamest Cantillon I've had, yet it's still probably a bit too weird for anyone who's unfamiliar with what to expect. Some mild oak notes. I've changed my score up from a 4.0 because I'm getting to like it more and more as it warms. Finishes sweet and tart with a medicinal blueberry fume.

A vigorous pour resulted in a mildly carbonated beer with a huge stable head. It's sticky and sweet but that doesn't bring the mouthfeel down one bit.

The more it warms the more I can't help gulp it down. I didn't quite like it when I first poured it but it came alive after about 10 minutes. Great stuff!

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon