Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Blåbær LambikCantillon Blåbær Lambik

Wants: 2,212
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".

(Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007)
HipHopsHooray

01-28-2014 22:16:40 | More by HipHopsHooray
rayjay

Hawaii

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to ricke! 375 mL corked bottle poured into my favorite lambic glass (11 oz pilsner). 2009 vintage. Careful, it's a countertop stainer and a foamer!

Blueberry bits are all over this beer, and all over the cork. Inside of the cork is lavender and slimy looking, but remains intact and isn't actually rotten (thankfully). Pours with a big blueberry head, complete with small pieces of blueberry (invoking a homebrew of some sort).

Wild smell. Notes of blueberries are dominant, also sulphur compounds, old stale urine, gueuze, lots of pediococcus, wild yeast with off notes that would be a drainpour with a regular beer but it's beautiful here. I wouldn't enjoy it if I hadn't had wild ales before though...

Flavors are of tart blueberries. Wild lambic flavors are abound; this is the tamest Cantillon I've had, yet it's still probably a bit too weird for anyone who's unfamiliar with what to expect. Some mild oak notes. I've changed my score up from a 4.0 because I'm getting to like it more and more as it warms. Finishes sweet and tart with a medicinal blueberry fume.

A vigorous pour resulted in a mildly carbonated beer with a huge stable head. It's sticky and sweet but that doesn't bring the mouthfeel down one bit.

The more it warms the more I can't help gulp it down. I didn't quite like it when I first poured it but it came alive after about 10 minutes. Great stuff!

09-10-2009 02:00:10 | More by rayjay

01-09-2013 10:45:22 | More by RyanBeer13
HuskyinPDX

Washington

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

07-27-2012 04:11:11 | More by HuskyinPDX
Azrael

02-20-2013 06:07:12 | More by Azrael
MrFootstones

10-19-2012 05:36:05 | More by MrFootstones
kojevergas

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

I actually got this myself! I didn't just sit on my ass and trade for it. I actually went out and acquired it in Copenhagen. Boy, imagine that.

The July 2011 release 33cl bottle (with a classic metal pressure cap over top an embedded cork) was poured into a Westvleteren goblet in Stockholm Sweden, on July 14th, 2011. Served at a mildly cold temperature from the refrigerator. Reviewed live.

A: Half a finger of purple (not blue!), creamy head with wonderful thickness and poor retention (especially for the ABV). Retention is maybe forty seconds. Colour is a unique solid purple-black. Nontransparent. I expected a transparent moderately dark blue, but this surprised me. Extremely appealing and unique.

Sm: Blueberry (all in my head because I know it's blueberry?), raspberry, cherry, and strawberry. I expected only blueberry, and may be projecting my expectations. I try not to, but I do legitimately get blueberry from the scent - it's just not as strong as expected. Certainly souring hops are present - typical for the lambic style. I'd describe the strength of the scent as mild to moderate overall. It certainly isn't overpowering, but it is pleasant without a doubt. I'm excited to try it.

T: Sour blueberry body. Slight underlying cream. Very full and expressive. Excellent for the style. It's very complex, even for the style. It's rather deep and inspired. It's not quite bold, but it's refreshing. It's evocative and inspired. Certainly brewed with care. It has a clear refreshing yet sour blueberry focus, though the blueberry taste may not be as distinct and focused as you'd expect. It incorporates other fruit ester hops to fill out the body and enhance the climax. The finish is a wonderful blueberry re-surge. I suspect that the high quality of the blueberries may alone account for the presence of other fruit esters; often high quality fruit is so full and evocative that other novel flavours are introduced. This may be the case here. In any case, the balance is near perfect; the souring yeasts/bacteria are a bit too dominant in my opinion.

Mf: Smooth, full, wet, refreshing, and featuring ever-so-slight cream deep in the foundation that's quite nice. Complements the body very well, but not perfectly. (I had this the same night I had the Kaggen! Stormaksporter and the Westvleteren 6 so I'm well acquainted with perfect mouthfeels).

Dr: It's not quite perfect, but it's the best lambic I've had, and will probably be the best I'll ever have. I don't know that it's worth the price - even aged - but I'm glad to have tried it. It's certainly worthy of special occasions, but better beers can be had at a lower price and for far less effort. However, it does live up the hype if that's what matters to you. For what it's worth, I'll compare all other lambics I have in the future to this one. It's incredibly drinkable and probably one of the most refreshing "dark" fruit beers I've ever had. Certainly a treat.

07-13-2011 23:52:24 | More by kojevergas
Deuane

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Foofaa for breaking out a bottle of this rare treat! This is a review of a 2009 vintage bottle.

A-Brilliant, lustrous, deep sapphire blue accented by subtle purple highlights. A thin, pinkish purple head caps the jewel like liquid and leaves spotty lace behind.

S-Gauze pad, tart blueberries and mustiness. Certainly interesting but not the most aggressively aromatic Cantillon beers I have had the pleasure of inhaling.

T-Super crisp tart blueberries with a dryness so pronounced it feels like you are trying to drink the Sahara. Tannic/oak astringency adds depth and additional palate dessication.

M-Light bodied, super dry and extremely crisp. One of the most astringent beers I have had the pleasure of drinking.

D-Whilst it is VERY dry it is easily one of the most drinkable Cantillon beers I have had. Super dry and crisp with just enough fruit sourness to help balance things out. An utterly delightful beer to enjoy slowly and savor each and every sip.

03-26-2011 21:43:34 | More by Deuane
DefenCorps

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that

03-04-2009 03:55:55 | More by DefenCorps

03-16-2013 12:19:44 | More by BeRanger
HumuloneRed

Oregon

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Nick for this sample!
750ml. Bottle. 2007 vintage. Pours a purple/red color with a pinkish head that quickly dissipates.

The aroma is subtle on the blueberries with more barnyard funk, wood, and citrus.

Flavors of blueberries, raspberries, funky sour cherry in there as well.

Nice balance between the sweet and sour. A well made beer.

04-08-2008 05:49:44 | More by HumuloneRed

Vermont

01-04-2012 16:16:22 | More by youbrewidrink
alampear

4.5/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to to brewdan for this one. 750ml. 2009 vintage I beleive it was batch 1. Poured a dark purplish-blue with a pinkish head. Very subtle blueberry aroma with amazing Cantillon funk. A little more musty basement smell then the normal barnyard from Cantillon. On the palate it was dry and light. It seemed to be more tart than sour. Mostly berry flavors with a little blueberry coming through. Extremely easy drinking for a Cantillon beer. Looking forward to having this one again.

05-11-2011 16:02:14 | More by alampear