Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,447
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.57/5  rDev +1.1%

Vintage 2007; Sampled April 2008
Pours with a frothy, initially two-finger thick, purple-pink stained tan colored head. The beer is a deep purple color, but shows a deeply hazy, plum-red color when held up to the light. As I was pouring this beer a scent of blueberries was noticeable. A closer inspection is much more accented towards the funky Lambic notes; lots of funky, phenolic, bandaid like aromatics, a definite acidity, ample butyric acid notes, musty cotton balls, cured leather, . Behind all of this is a subtle, yet zesty, berry character that is distinctly of sweet-ripe blueberries; the blueberry notes are almost more noticeable in the nose when you are not trying.

Bracingly tart, with a fantastic sourness that almost causes me to pucker. I would swear that the ample sourness is magnified by tart fruit character, though it is mostly lactic in make up. The finish has a mouth-coating tannic character to it that is deeply stained with berry skin flavors. The flavor of this beer is not quite as funky or phenolic as the nose suggested, but this is definitely on the funky side of the spectrum. Light bandaid phenolics, moldy cotton ball notes, . The tannins, fruit and oak contribute a nice heft to the body of this brew though a zippy carbonation keeps this on the airy / light side; overall this is a beer to be quaffed in quantity, just like a Lambic should be.

As the beer warms up it picks up a bit more fullness and the acidity seems to mellow just a touch, becoming a bit more fruit accented, though still bracingly dry and tart. I really like the tannic structure that this beer has, it gives it a texture that is quite akin to the feeling while drinking black tea; this somehow provides some balance to this beer. My second pour seems to get just a touch of ripe-berry character to it, just enough to add an ephemeral touch of sweet fruit character without actually adding any sweetness. This is just getting more and more drinkable, it didn't start out a slouch either, and I am suddenly left wondering what happened to my 750ml bottle & asking myself why I don't have more to drink right now.

Wow, this is supposed to be the less tart / funky of the two vintages; I can't imagine (or is it can't wait) the 2005 vintage I have waiting for me being more sour than this. This is just quite funky right now, this definitely leans towards the hard side & I wonder how much of this has developed since bottling; especially since I see this as being less tart and more fruity than the 2005. This is fairly fruity, but certainly not in a dominant fashion (even by authentic Lambic standards), the fruit seems to more contribute to the tartness and tannic qualities of this beer rather than the ripe berry notes one might expect in a beer described as fruity. After having said all that, this is just a fantastic beer, as someone who really like funky, sour beers and my fruit to be a supporting player, well this just hits the spot quite well.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness.

4.61/5  rDev +2%

From a 375 mL bottle, 2009 Vintage,

A: Pours a pinkish red with a medium white head, some lace. Great colour.

S: Gorgeous funk, horse blanket, leather, red currants.

T: Red currant, pomegranate, leather. Real nice lactic acid flavours.

M: Medium acidity, very long full finish, seamless integration, dry.

O: A fantastic effort, it's not crazily better than some of the more available Cantillon efforts, but this is good stuff.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%

375 mL 2010 batch 6 bottle, shared by starrdogg with beandip.

Beautiful. Color is rich, vibrant grape purple with a reddish hue. Head is a faint pink and initially dense and light; hangs around indefinitely with a thick crown of bubbles and thin film.

Aroma is the only letdown, though there isn't necessarily wrong with it. Mildly sour and juicy blueberry fruit. No funk and basically interchangeable with other good lambics.

Flavor is both exceptionally sour and blueberry sweet. Finish is thick with rind and fruit skin. Extremely dry and tannic in the finish with some lingering blueberry fruit.

Mouthfeel is medium thick, with delicate carbonation and a puckering dry finish.

Amazing balance of sour and blueberry fruit, this was the standout of our tasting, thanks for sharing Matt

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%

Shared a bottle at Olbutikken with Morten and others in the store. Was happy to be able to try, but concerned about the hype. No worries, An amazing lambic. Absolutely beautiful color and clarity. Nose was so fresh and bright. Funk was upfront. but gently restrained. Really enhanced rather than dominated the flavor Blueberry flavor was complex and reminded me more of eating slightly unripe berries from the garden. Leaned toward tartness rather sweet blueberry pie. Malts and yeast merged to provide additional flavors and accents. Smooth, delightful carbonation. Wonderfully drinkable
It's a shame that this beer is not more available. Understand why, but this would be such a great beer outings, accompanying picnics, sipping on the deck and sharing with friends. This is not a beer to limit to tastings and talk.

4.46/5  rDev -1.3%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again.

4.97/5  rDev +10%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends!

4.75/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage, poured from a 375ml. Poured very hazy with a great ruby/purple color and small pinkish head. Some blueberries on the nose, musty, lots of funk. Initial sweetness from the blueberries up front, but quickly fades to a very nice sour and funk taste. Nice dry, lingering finish with a tart aftertaste. Overall an excellent blueberry lambic.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability!

4.48/5  rDev -0.9%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat.

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness?

4.85/5  rDev +7.3%

Vintage 2011.

The colour is blueberry-purple, the liquid clear. The low head is pink.

The smell is tart. Iodine. Stable. Blueberries.

The taste is tart with notes of white wine vinegar. Black currents and blueberry juice. Iodine. It is much smoother then most Cantillon brews I have had. Passing dry notes. Sour hints that reminds of fresh orange juice. Some hints of citric peels. Long lasting blue berry notes in the finish.

The carbonation is light, the small bubbles fresh. The liquid is very dry.

A very well balanced and highly drinkable lambic. One of the most intriguing beers I have had.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a stemmed glass. 2012
(A)- A sexy crimson burgundy color with some purple-like highlights. Some light white froth that dissipated quickly
(S)- Mildly tart up front but rich jammy blueberry fruits. Subtle oaky funk. Slight stone-like mineral bit on the finish. A dynamic smell despite some age on the bottle
(T)- Just a sexy beer. Rich, jammy blueberries meets a stoney oak funk. Mildly tart to really up the complexity
(M)- A fantastic carbonation level. Silky smooth with just the right amount of fruit, tartness, and oaky funk to balance well yet still creating a complex and dynamic mouthfeel
(O)- So happy to have finally tried this very long time want. It is not Cantillon's best, but that is like saying I had mediocre sex. . . its still sex

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes.

4.65/5  rDev +2.9%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

I drank this 2009 version, not sure which batch(I'm guessing 4), from a 22oz bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pours a deep grape jelly colored purple with a nice medium pink head. The head rises about 3 fingers and is very creamy and soft with great retention and lace. Probably the best head I've seen in a lambic.

The aroma is medium with mostly tartness coming through, some horse blanket mostly. Its nice because you get the funkiness you're looking for but not so overpowering that you get tired of it. At the end you get a little sweetness, but not much blueberry.

The taste is great, its super complex and well balanced. It starts soft and sweet and highly drinkable, towards the middle and end it evolves to have nice tartness. Once again, like the aroma it gets you the tartness you desire in drinking a lambic but not so overpowering that you can't drink a ton. At the end you finally get some blueberry mixed with a final tart goodbye.

The feel is nice and heavy with a lasting feel.

The drinkability is off the scale.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. From the taste I'm guessing its batch four because its balanced with sweet and funk. A lot of top beers don't live up to the hype but this one certainly does.

4.11/5  rDev -9.1%

Reviewed from notes

A: this is one sexy looking beer! pinkish to purple in color with a ½ finger pink colored head, leaves frothy spotty lacing

S: a hint of sweetness, a lot of sourness, and hints of berries fill the nose

T: tart! the berry flavor was muted at first and over powered by the strong tartness of this one, but as it warmed, the berry flavors become more evident. the tartness doesn't seem to disappear, just mellows out a bit. there was a strange aftertaste similar to that of a bandaid, but this too disappeared as it warmed.

M: mild to moderate carbonation, dry, medium body

D: maybe the prettiest beer I've had to date, the tartness makes this one a sipper, but better to let it sit for awhile and allow that to mellow out and enjoy more of the berry flavor.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that

4.15/5  rDev -8.2%

375ml bottle - 2010 vintage shared by jedwards. Pours a hazy, pomegranate hue with a loose, white head that dissipates into a skim and a frothy band. Nose expresses berry fruit, citric acid and a hint of something chemical. Taste follows nose with the addition of a briney character that comes out towards the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light) with an assertive carbonation and acidity that lingers between quaffs. Overall, this is an excellent fruit lambic; however, the blueberry flavor is definitely dropping off. Nonetheless, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have tried this beer.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL bottle poured into taster - 2011 vintage - thanks to Mark000

Pours a brilliant purpley blue color with a cloudy haze. Crop of white head rests on top, fading into a collar of filmy residue with spotty lacing on the glass.

Juicy blueberries in the nose with funky sourness. Soft acidity and faint sweetness, straw and wet hay. Still fruit-forward yet tart despite the year+ of age.

Blueberry-driven tartness with plenty of jammy fruit tones. The sourness builds on the palate while drinking, yielding a funky yeast and wet hay. Straw and biscuit malts with grain and more blueberries. Tart fruit skins and oak with a soft vinous character. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, bubbly and lively on the tongue. One of the best fruit lambics I've ever had, although I believe Fou Foune is still my favorite.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well.

4.37/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

thanks to Sean9689 for trading this treat to me!

375ml bottle; vintage 2012; batch 8.

poured into tulip glass.

Appearance: an opaque medium reddish purple bodied beer with 2 fingers of white head that drops down quickly to a thin cap.

Smell: fruity and funky sour beer with a touch of vinegar. This beer has a well balanced nose between with the fruit and the funk. Blueberry skins with musty and dusty funk.

Taste: Blueberries that are both sweet and tart. Also some notes of red berries as well. Nice oak barrel presence that is tannic and its earthy too. The funk flavor is both musty basement and wet straw. This beer has a nice sour pucker that is about a 5.5 out of 10. Tastes similiar to a sweetart candy. Finish gets much funkier as it warms...the musty funk really transforms into that horse blanket sweaty funk that Cantillion is know for. A hint of lemon, grapefruit, and berries in the finish as well.

Mouthfeel: light bodied beer with low end of moderate carbonation. The carbonation isnt as aggressive as most Cantillions that I have drank. It has more of a delicate carbonation that comes alive and epperveses as it hits your tongue. I do think that this beer could use just a little more carbonation. Semidry finish.

Overall: Yeah, this beer is wonderful. It is officially my new favorite Cantillion sour. I gotta say that its awesome to finally try this beer that I have been after for a while now.

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon