Cantillon Blåbær Lambik - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,376
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Crosling on 04-11-2007

Made in cooperation with Jeppe from Olbuttikken in Copenhagen. Jeppe provides the blueberries for the beer,and it is brewed at Cantillon and then shipped back to Copenhagen and only sold at Olbutikken.

2005 Vintage (batch 1) - 50 75cl bottles released. Gold foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 2) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Black foil.
2007 Vintage (batch 3) - 75cl bottles. Gold foil.
2009 Vintage (batch 4) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009".
2009 Vintage (batch 5) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "2009 II".
2010 Vintage (batch 6) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. Label reads "2010".
2011 Vintage (batch 7) - 37.5cl and 75cl bottles. No foil. Label reads "11".
4.73/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tumbler glass at Øltibukken store in Copenhagen Denmark. Vintage 2014, 375ml bottle.

Big deep ruby red color like a gem. An absolute crystal clear gem, no hints of darker or lighter hues of different colors. Shines crystal clear. A faint pink head dissolves with a little bit of suds, but even manages some carbonation while in a simple conical tumbler. One of the most impressive colors on any beer I have ever seen. Doesn't get any better for a lambic.

Fascinating aroma. Bouquet fills with earth funky notes, slightly ashy but even more so with hints of garden mushroom and fresh tilled soil. Fruit angle is all over and surprisingly varied. Blueberries of course but also sour cherry, raspberry, even peach like fuzz which works out amazingly.

THe first sip is exquisite. While the fruit comes nicely with funky aromas, there is a great melding sweetness of balsamic vinegar to match. It's as if it is drizzled all over a salad bowl filled with fruits of cherry, blueberry and so forth. Great funk acid tones on this, with much of the earthy bouquet matching nicely.

Everything is incredibly balanced with wild yeast taking the first notes, and fruit following with sweet acidic tones. Not quite Rodenbach sweetness but unique all it's own. Extremely complex and balanced. The feel even for a lambic, does come off a little less impressive. Depth in malt even comes across light, but the flavors easily push through. Fun carbonation. Hinting at light seltzery qualities but never getting there from a large palate that is complex

What more needs to be said? A great lambic, probably the best blueberry beer of any style by far I have ever had. Not my favorite Cantillon, but does this get any better? No, unequivocally not even close. (1,795 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%

How lucky can one guy be? With all the talk of hunting white whales, sometimes you just need to return to the same place and eventually one will swim up on its own. One did, but I must give the credit to Danny, whom now I'm deeply indebted to. We have here a 2009 vintage coming from the 375 ml format. Ok...deep breath....on to the beer:

Looks like rosé in a glass. Ok, rosé with a tone of violet. Little of a head is produces, though it does throw a few spots of lace on the glass. But the appearance is not what makes Blåbær famous, right? For starters, check out the nose! It's outstanding. It does have a tart fruit nose, but it doesn't seem like blueberry, the fruit used to make this lambic. Sour and blanket add the missing components of a perfect nose.

Blåbær may be the least sour/tart of the Cantillon's I've had to date. Make no mistake, it is relatively tart, and fun to taste under any circumstances. Here, it does seem that there is a little blueberry presence. But more so, it seems more dominant of currents. Tart, but not the palate numbing type. Perhaps that's why this beer is so revered. The beer is soft on the palate, not as puckering as the label will make you believe, and is stimulating.

Call it delicious, and end it at that. I'll let the rest of the community dictate its delightfulness. (1,325 characters)

4.13/5  rDev -8.4%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. 2012 bottle.

Appearance - Deep red, purple body. Nice white head. Collar lasts forever.

Smell - The blueberry flavor comes out a lot, but it's got a green character to it. Nice funk and acidity.

Taste - Also very green. Funky and a nice blueberry flavor. Graininess and sourness. Finishes with a nice fruity flavor blended into a sour bite

Mouthfeel - Spritzy carbonation. Medium to light body.

Overall - I hoped the fruit character would be incredible, but it's very green. Fou'Foune is better, but this is a great lambic. (568 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a beautiful dark plum color with dark purplish mahogany edges and a one finger frothy pinkish/plum head that quickly dissipates into a miniscule off white ring that eventually fades as throughout the duration of the glass.

Earthy funky musty aroma with a good bit of barnyard horseblanlet character. Lots of sweet vinous dark fruit notes especially bluberry of course as well as some grape and plum.

Slightly tart and very puckering with a lot of musty barnyard funk. Not very acidic with a lot of earthy oaky tannis. Lots of dark fruit notes that adds to the sweet vinous, vinegary character. The blueberries really come through as well as some grape, plum and fig. Very complex and well balanced. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how complex and funky it is. I wish I could drink this again. Highly recommends! (835 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%

Shared a bottle at Olbutikken with Morten and others in the store. Was happy to be able to try, but concerned about the hype. No worries, An amazing lambic. Absolutely beautiful color and clarity. Nose was so fresh and bright. Funk was upfront. but gently restrained. Really enhanced rather than dominated the flavor Blueberry flavor was complex and reminded me more of eating slightly unripe berries from the garden. Leaned toward tartness rather sweet blueberry pie. Malts and yeast merged to provide additional flavors and accents. Smooth, delightful carbonation. Wonderfully drinkable
It's a shame that this beer is not more available. Understand why, but this would be such a great beer outings, accompanying picnics, sipping on the deck and sharing with friends. This is not a beer to limit to tastings and talk. (820 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Batch 2 (first release of 2007), in a 37.5 cl bottle. I remove the cap and I'm greeted with a pleasant "pop" as I remove the cork. I see the foam begin to rise, slowly, so I tilt and pour into my La Chouffe tulip.

The beer is light purple with a pinkish grapefruit hue. The light purple, champagne-like head flares up and dies quickly. I've never seen a beer of this color.

The dominant aroma is of fresh, tart blueberries. The aroma has some acidity to it...lactic acid with some funk in the background. A gentle swirl of my tulip glass releases more potent blueberries. Zesty, ripe, tart, sour.

Wow...wow. Mouth-puckerly tart and sour. Very sour! The beer segues from tart to sour and then to ripe and tart blueberries. I believe the blueberries create the most complex fruit flavor I've experienced in a sour. The complex finish hits the back of my tongue with more tart blueberry fruitiness, and it leaves me licking my lips, eagerly anticipating my next sip.

Good carbonation with a smooth mouthfeel. Outstanding.

Batch 3 (second release of 2007), in a 75 cl bottle.

I found this batch to be very similar to Batch 2. The color was nearly identical. I was, however, surprised to find the blueberries a bit more muted than in Batch 2, which surprised me because this was the fresher of the two. Maybe this beer spent less time with the blueberries. I don't really know. There seemed to be a bit more Brett character in this batch as well.

Batch 4 (2009), in a 75 cl bottle.

I heard from numerous sources that this one was a gusher, so I tilted the bottle over the glass (which was over the sink) while my buddy pulled out the cork. The liquid rose slowly out the bottle and we lost none of it to the sink.

Wow, this beer is shockingly beautiful. It appears plum purple (I stole that one) with an enormous light pinkish purple head that takes forever to fade.

The aroma is of fresh blueberry energy, lactic notes, and a faint mustiness. This has less Brett character than the previous batches, lending itself more to the lactic character. Some phenol notes are present with a touch of acetic acid. I get lots of oak in the nose.

The beer is sweet, tart, and delicious. The flavor is sweeter than the '07 batches with a balancing tartness and acidity. The flavor is bursting with ripe blueberries, oak, and tannins. The finish has a touch of Brett and lingering blueberry tartness with lactic notes.

The beer is light bodied and effervescent like always. This is the freshest I've tried this beer, and though I can't say I prefer this batch to the previous ones, it is nice to try it when the fruit is most apparent.

Batch 6 (2010) - 375ml bottle on 9/13/2010 in a snifter. Opens with a light pop. Same resplendent appearance with a very attractive purple pink head. Wet leather bursting with ripe, tart, and slightly sweet blueberries (form a mental picture). Light musty quality and notes of damp earth and barnyard are apparent, but these blueberries are what set Blåbær apart from other Lambics. Holy hell the flavor is amazing. Tart and slightly sweet ripe Danish blueberries with notes of oak and tannins. Glorious tannic and spritzy mouthfeel This beer is excellent, batch after batch, and remains my favorite lambic. (3,244 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +2.4%

inflatablechair popped this bottle at a recent tasting!!! I knew he was going to, but it was a secret ;-) to Jeremy and Eric.. Fucking badass Sam!!

Very hazy purple.. no real head despite a nice carbonation...

Nose is tart fruit with quite a bit of barnyard and horsey funk.. fruity and funky and a great complexity.. smells very sour.. more sour than funky.

Flavor is flashed with true "fresh wild" blueberry.. but the lambic components are abundant in the front and mid palate.. Not as sour as I was expecting.. instead a really tart/tannic fruit skin sorta sucks the saliva from my head.. lite lactic.. but never acetic.. The funk is surprisingly mild in my mind. very well balanced.

I am amazed this was not more SOUR ... this is far and away the least sour fruited Cantillon that I've ever had... yet the blueberries really do a number on the style... marvelous and worthy of the hype... fruity, tannic, mild woody, and brilliant.

Fuck, Sam... I don't know how to follow up this surprise.. I need to try... back to the drawing board.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5 (1,059 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Part of my birthday Cantillon tasting. This is the 2010 Vintage, poured about a year after its release.

Appearance is a rich cloudy purple. I expected a translucent blue, so very different than I expected but still remarkable and totally unique in my experience. What a crazy color!

Smells pretty awesome, some dark grape/berry flavor and plenty of funky sour.

Tastes different than I expected but still incredible. As in the nose, the flavor is as much like dark grapes as blueberries, but still very fruity. Also very sour in a funky metallic brett kind of way.

I was scared I might be disappointed in this beer given its over the top reputation, but it really lives up to that reputation. Excellent beer, worth the trouble of tracking it down.

9.7/10 (758 characters)

4.46/5  rDev -1.1%

375ml bottle 2009 vintage batch 4
Thanx to however brought this to bobby's tasting
Consumed 3/11/2010

A: poured a dark purple with a pinkish head and some good lacing on the glass. There was also berry like sediments floating in the beer.

S: nice signature cantillion sour tartness with very light oaky notes with blueberries, cherries and other berries in the nose.

T: great sour tartness up front with light blueberry and raspberry flavors with pleasent dry acidity and hints of oak in the mixture.

M: medium body with good amount of carbonation and great berry slight dry finish.

D: really love sours and this beer has got to be one of my favorite beers by cantillion for sure. I hope I get a chance to have this one again. (731 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

Seeing as I have nothing that I could offer in a trade for this brew, I took the short route and bought this on ebay.

Small not very informative label on this 750ml bottle, this is a 2009 vintage with the 2009 appearing to be hand written with some unidentifiable symbol next to it.This bottle is corked then capped. Time to put my corkscrew to work...

I popped the cap and some beer leaked out immediately and lots of bubbling sitting on the cork. I got the corkscrew in and I'm pulling on it but damn, it's going to be some work to remove it. I had to hold the bottle between my knees and pull to get the sucker out.

The smell hit my nosebuds as soon as the cork came out but I don't want to skip ahead so..

It pours a very reddish brown with a 1" head of pink white foam and lots of sticky lacing. I'm holding my glass to the light and I can't see through it so I guess I can say it's cloudy or murky or whatever. A great looking brew is the bottom line here.

The smell is supremely tart. Hell, and funky. The unmistakable stamp of blueberries is here along with a vinegar like sourness but the influence of Brett is just as strong and overall, a very intriguing nose. I can't wait to taste it.

Ahhh...blueberries well represented! Both in the unripe sour variety and sweet sweet ripe variety that most folks, including myslef, toss on their corn flakes for breakfast. The funky tones seem to be toned down compared to what I experienced in the smell and....that's ok with me. The reason I sought this brew out was the irresistable attraction that blueberries in beer has for me. The vinegar smell is also not as strong in the taste so the overall tartness factor in this Cantillon brew isn't even close to being over the top. Let the berries revel in their tasty goodness, I say, and that's exactly what my palate says they are doing. Touche!!

More sips in and the level of "funkiness" seems to change..sometimes more present, sometimes less. A flavourful addition to the taste of Blåbær's blueberries either way and maybe without it, I wouldn't find it the enticing beer that it is?

It has a medium body with the carbonation on the light side but that fits this Lambic to a tee.

Drinkability? I'm probably a bigger fan of blueberries, when done right, in a beer than most so take my words with a grain of salt...incredible drinkability! (2,354 characters)

How awesome was this, the beer had bits of blue, red, purple to it. I think a light pink/purple is the best way to describe it, totally nuts, like that magic ghost from fantome, just a color that grabs your attention. I was psyched to try it, thinking it would be either golden or blueish or something in between. And it actually formed a small head on it, better than most lambics, if not all frankly. But the thickness of the blueberry in here, just wow.

Aroma, really delivered on the fruit and the sourness, Cantillon really got the hang of that. Blueberry though, wow, thats a treat, I've had a few blueberry beers, the aroma and taste of blueberry really ranged from fake/awful to decent/ok in my limited experience. This was flat out excellent. The mild funk is accompanied by sweetness.

The taste, such a thick blueberry presence, way heavier viscosity than I expected. Perfect blend of sour, tart and that mild blueberry sweet. So delicious and easy to drink, love the sourness. It gives me everything I want, massive fruit flavor (doesn't hurt when blueberries have to be my favorite fruit) perfect sourness, perfect tartness.

If I ever go back to Europe, I think I'm planning my trip around the release of this beer. Damn. So good, mad props for jh1982 opening this the morning of um. I dunno, was it Friday's games at March Madness? (1,348 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2010 vintage, poured from a 375ml. Poured very hazy with a great ruby/purple color and small pinkish head. Some blueberries on the nose, musty, lots of funk. Initial sweetness from the blueberries up front, but quickly fades to a very nice sour and funk taste. Nice dry, lingering finish with a tart aftertaste. Overall an excellent blueberry lambic. (350 characters)

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

375ml bottle split three ways on 7.24.12 between myself, Greg, and Jake. Thanks for sharing this Jake.

A - Pours a dark pink-burgundy with a white to light pink head that fades down, but never fully disappears.

S - Funky, some slight sweetness, that comes out more as it warms. The berries are more present as it warms also.

T - Super funky, then some sweetness from the berries, then a shift to a tart berry finish. Very complex. Again more sweet as it warms.

D - Funky, with a dry finish. Nice carbonation.

O - A very complex and multi-layered drink. I am so thankful to have had the chance to try this treat. (616 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Vintage 2011.

The colour is blueberry-purple, the liquid clear. The low head is pink.

The smell is tart. Iodine. Stable. Blueberries.

The taste is tart with notes of white wine vinegar. Black currents and blueberry juice. Iodine. It is much smoother then most Cantillon brews I have had. Passing dry notes. Sour hints that reminds of fresh orange juice. Some hints of citric peels. Long lasting blue berry notes in the finish.

The carbonation is light, the small bubbles fresh. The liquid is very dry.

A very well balanced and highly drinkable lambic. One of the most intriguing beers I have had. (607 characters)

750mL bottle, 2009 vintage, corked and capped. Upon removing the cork a steady stream of pink foam slowly rose to the opening, threatening to slowly make a mess if I didn't pour my first glass. After the pour, the foam in the bottle is about 3/4 inch thick above the liquid, and I can see some dark purple sediment attached to the walls on the bottle.

The beer is reddish-purple color with a light pink head. Kind of murky and impossible to see through, it looks really substantial. The aroma is, in a word, perfect. I expected an intense sour tartness and blueberries, but this was not so 2-dimensional as that. All of the funk you expect from Cantillon, this smelled like I imagine the attic at the brewery smells, musty and dusty, some leather, old barn, you name it. And throughout it all is the essence of blueberries, not like a fruit juice was added a la Lindemans, more like the yeasts fed on fresh blueberries and pissed out blueberry notes along with the funk. The combination of these aromas makes a 3rd distinct creation, just a perfect blend of all things good. I could keep smelling this forever, in fact I'm spending more time smelling this beer than drinking it. So...

The taste is also perfect. I don't like to give 5's so easily but really this is so excellent. The blueberries are there but don't define the flavor, this is more about the lambic and what the blueberries can ADD to it. Definitely the blueberries don't temper the funk with sweet notes, this is still a sour beer. But, on the other hand, maybe they do temper it somewhat as this is perhaps the least tart Cantillon I've tried. Either that or I've built up a natural immunity to bracingly tart beers... I've read others' reviews where they can get oak flavors from these lambics, and I'm sure those flavors are there due to the long aging in barrels, but I have a hard time discerning these flavors in the midst of all the aggressive and defining Belgian wild notes. In any case, this is supremely complex, delicious, and again reminiscent of a dusty, cobwebby attic. In a very good way.

The body and drinkability are perfect scores as well, I'm just gonna go ahead and give all 5's. After 1140 or so reviews it's becoming rare for me to feel a beer deserves a perfect score but this is no ordinary beer. I'm becoming sad but sated as the bottle empties, like a glutton I drank the whole thing. I offered some to my wife but, validating that the sour tartness is indeed becoming undetectable to me in these beers, she shied away from the wild notes. (2,536 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

Bottle shared by Shep - thanks!

Pours an attractive shade of dark purple with a head that's half cream-colored and half purple. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of large amounts of funk - wet hay and leather among others - with solid amounts of tart blueberry aromas. As it warms the aromas grow mustier.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Good amounts of funk flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by solidly tart berry flavors. The berry flavors include blueberries but they're tough to pick out until the flavors sweeten just a bit before a crisp ending.

Mouthfeel is very good. It's got a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is also very good. I finished my glass very quickly and could easily have a few more.

Overall this beer is all that it's hyped to be. I have to say that this beer would work with any fruit but the choice of blueberries puts it in a very unique subset and makes it well worth a shot. (981 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

I drank this 2009 version, not sure which batch(I'm guessing 4), from a 22oz bottle into my Rodenbach tulip.

The beer pours a deep grape jelly colored purple with a nice medium pink head. The head rises about 3 fingers and is very creamy and soft with great retention and lace. Probably the best head I've seen in a lambic.

The aroma is medium with mostly tartness coming through, some horse blanket mostly. Its nice because you get the funkiness you're looking for but not so overpowering that you get tired of it. At the end you get a little sweetness, but not much blueberry.

The taste is great, its super complex and well balanced. It starts soft and sweet and highly drinkable, towards the middle and end it evolves to have nice tartness. Once again, like the aroma it gets you the tartness you desire in drinking a lambic but not so overpowering that you can't drink a ton. At the end you finally get some blueberry mixed with a final tart goodbye.

The feel is nice and heavy with a lasting feel.

The drinkability is off the scale.

Overall this is an outstanding beer. From the taste I'm guessing its batch four because its balanced with sweet and funk. A lot of top beers don't live up to the hype but this one certainly does. (1,242 characters)

4.11/5  rDev -8.9%

Reviewed from notes

A: this is one sexy looking beer! pinkish to purple in color with a ½ finger pink colored head, leaves frothy spotty lacing

S: a hint of sweetness, a lot of sourness, and hints of berries fill the nose

T: tart! the berry flavor was muted at first and over powered by the strong tartness of this one, but as it warmed, the berry flavors become more evident. the tartness doesn't seem to disappear, just mellows out a bit. there was a strange aftertaste similar to that of a bandaid, but this too disappeared as it warmed.

M: mild to moderate carbonation, dry, medium body

D: maybe the prettiest beer I've had to date, the tartness makes this one a sipper, but better to let it sit for awhile and allow that to mellow out and enjoy more of the berry flavor.

Cheers!
The CPJ (799 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750mL bottle poured into taster - 2011 vintage - thanks to Mark000

Pours a brilliant purpley blue color with a cloudy haze. Crop of white head rests on top, fading into a collar of filmy residue with spotty lacing on the glass.

Juicy blueberries in the nose with funky sourness. Soft acidity and faint sweetness, straw and wet hay. Still fruit-forward yet tart despite the year+ of age.

Blueberry-driven tartness with plenty of jammy fruit tones. The sourness builds on the palate while drinking, yielding a funky yeast and wet hay. Straw and biscuit malts with grain and more blueberries. Tart fruit skins and oak with a soft vinous character. Finishes tart and dry on the tongue.

Lighter medium body, well carbonated, bubbly and lively on the tongue. One of the best fruit lambics I've ever had, although I believe Fou Foune is still my favorite. (855 characters)

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

Review #500. Wow! When I started reviewing a little more than a year back, I never thought I'd get to try many of the beers that I have. This is one of them and thanks are due to Brad for hooking me up. 2007 release, batch 1 (375ml bottle, black foil)

A: As with some Cantillon beers, there's gunk under the cap. Halfway through uncorking it, the carbonation forces it out. Not bad. In my Duvel tulip, Blåbær sits a pinkish shade of crimson with a light pink head that starts off pretty big and settles to a surprisingly thick disk. Plenty of visible carbonation. No blueberry skins, though :-(

S: Strong funk with barnyard, wet hay and lemon, upon which sits the most delicate of blueberry aromas. The fruit aroma is pretty intoxicating - it's soft, beautiful and reminds me of unsweetened blueberry syrup. No sugar-based sweetness is present, just a pure fruit aroma.

T: Opens up rather bracingly sour with a ton of lemon-like sourness and acidity that really stimulates the palate. Once the funk washes away, the blueberry comes in. Soft, like on the nose, the berry character comes through with the fruitiness being expressed beautifully, while the sourness continues where the funk left off. Finishes dry, tart and long with a little bit of fruit

M: Light and spritzy on the palate with perfect carbonation, this one is pretty awesome. Acidity is a little high (think along the lines of their Kriek) but fits in well in the overall scheme of things. Great finish

D: I'm definitely enjoying this a lot, it's pretty darned easy to drink

Notes: I had a chance to try the second release from 2007 (75cl bottles, gold foil) and that batch is far superior. The funk is more restrained, the brightness of the blueberries is incredible and the palate is quite to die for. I'd give that version scores of 4/5/5/5/5 but since I got only 2oz of that (thanks, Carl!), I'm not going to review that (1,898 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -8%

375ml bottle - 2010 vintage shared by jedwards. Pours a hazy, pomegranate hue with a loose, white head that dissipates into a skim and a frothy band. Nose expresses berry fruit, citric acid and a hint of something chemical. Taste follows nose with the addition of a briney character that comes out towards the finish. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light) with an assertive carbonation and acidity that lingers between quaffs. Overall, this is an excellent fruit lambic; however, the blueberry flavor is definitely dropping off. Nonetheless, I'm very grateful for the opportunity to have tried this beer. (614 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%

2009 Batch 4, huge thanks to Kevin for sharing this one!

A-pours a dark maroon color, completely opaque with a light purple head that is pretty dense.

S-hint of tart cranberry immediately taken over by a cheesy barnyard funk. light acidity behind with a good sweet completely unripened fruit aroma, cranberry, blueberries and raspberry with a nice tartness to it.

T-the taste is great, nice sour and acidity. the cranberries and raspberries are up front, no where near ripe with that tartness that accompanies fruit of that nature. a light barnyard funkiness, not as present as the nose, with an astringent tartness and sublte blueberry flavor finishing it out.

M-soft feel to it, nice carbonation, syrupy body with a good crisp finish to balance and slightly astringent.

D-great balance, fantastic beer, excellent fruit appearance with perfect acidity and tartness, light barnyard funk adds complexity and works in very well. (931 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to sincereNC for sharing this one with the group! HOLY CHRIST, FINALLY! 2009 Vintage! Served from 375 mL bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured a reddish purple with a one finger slight pink head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, fruit, dark fruit, blueberry, and a slight hint of funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, sour, blueberry, fruit, and slight funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew is nothing short of (as I'm sure you know) excellent! All aspects of this one just worked extremely well together... The appearance was really unique to other lambics I have seen as you could tell there were blueberries involved in this beer before you even smelled it. The aroma was very inviting and I dare say, even mocked me to take a sip. I'm not one to be mocked so I did just that. WOW! There was no tart aspect at all in this one which was nice as I'm sure it would have covered up the delicate blueberry flavors going on here. The slight funky aspect was a really nice touch on the followthrough on this one. Just not a lot bad going on in this one if I'm completely honest. REALLY glad I got the chance to finally try this one as it was one of my harder to get brews via trading. I am currently searching for a 750 mL for my cellar if you have one you want to trade (hint hint traders!). A definite must try even if you have to beg or steal for it!

After typing this review and thinking about it, I am actually tasting the beer again and I indeed know that I need MORE. Someone help me out... (1,747 characters)

3.91/5  rDev -13.3%

2009 Batch II

A - A very, very dark red. About two fingers of a pinkish head that laced very nicely.

S - Lots of fruity berry goodness, including what seems to be blueberries. Little bit funky with some nice tart sweetness.

T - This was nice, but kind of disappointing given what I was hearing my friends say about it. A buddy of mine drank it with me and he said Batch 1 was significantly better. Has a funky blueberry taste, but not quite as sweet an tart as I was hoping. Little yeasty, and a little bit of heavier flavor than I wanted.

M - Syrupy and medium bodied, slightly creamy, nice carbonation, but would have preferred it a touch lighter.

D - Sweet and unoffensive, so it's pretty easy to drink. Not a session beer so to speak, but an easy drinker. (764 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%

Enormous gratitude goes out to lurchingbeast for sending this along in a recent BIF. Not being a dedicated whale-hunter, I figured I wouldn't get to sample this, & oh well, but hey! Look! It's here! 375ML bottle with a blue label & no apparent year - the cork has 2010 printed on it. Pulled out to celebrate my wife's <number censored> birthday.

Pop the cork out & can't resist a whiff, & it's good. The pour is purlishreddishbluish with plenty of emotion in the head. Nose is like nothing I've sensed: plenty of blueberry, but bone-dry, almost leathery. No sour overdrive. Me likes.

Blåbær Lambik drinks like I think a sour should: sour plus something else. Lovely tartness up front, of course, but not tearing the enamel off the sink twenty feet away, & the blueberries add to it nicely. The berries aren't the sweet berry you'd pick off a bush in the wilderness (sigh, I'd like to do that, but it's winter), but dry, dusty, unripe berries. Bit of vinegar mid-bite. Dry, dry, dry. I am sucking this down. It's like a pleasantly harshed up version of my favorite fruit juice.

Now I've had it & this - this is what lambics/wilds should be like, the sour & tartness playing off other aspects of the beer rather than being an exercise in facial contortions. Mind-blowing? No. Excellent? Certainly. Very glad to try it. (1,330 characters)

Cantillon Blåbær Lambik from Brasserie Cantillon