Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-12-2002

Reviews: 326 | Hads: 1,527
4.76/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap at Max's on Broadway in Baltimore. Tap list say it was 2003 vintage.

Marchiano cherry red juice in a chalice with a pink fuzz floating on top. The smell is distinctly cherry with a prevailing citiric sourness and a touch of peanut sauce that seems weird with the usually sour funk. I thought I was in for the intense sourness of the other Cantillion cherry I have had, but no this was soft stinging sourness with a cherry flavor that melted over the tongue and really carried me away. In the very noisy bar as I sipped this beer I was in another world unto my self and the beer. Great carbonation and the mouthfeel is superb and this is very drinkable at such a low avb. (680 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Appearance: Dark full red. Little carbonation.

Smell: tart, cherry, oakiness, lemon juice

Taste: Very tart, definitely not a sweeter lambic. Funky lemon, quite sour. Little sweet fruitiness in the background.
Nice tart dry finish. Pretty drinkable considering the sourness.

Overall: Authentic, extremely good example of the style. Worth trying for sure. (356 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

Bottle into flute.

Pours a dark red, with no head to speak of other than a faint rim of light pinkish bubbles around the edge of the glass.

Aroma really sings with sour cherries, rich and tart, a bit dry. Sharp vinegar comes through as well.

Taste is sour cherry from the beginning, dry and tart, the sharpness balanced by the very full cherry note, balanced and delicious. Because of the balance, one of the most drinkable Cantillons I've had. Superb. (458 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap at The Trappist in Oakland, CA during their March 25, 2011 Shelton Brothers event.

Beer poured into a Cantillon crystal straight sided tumbler. Hazy red, but very bright and evenly red when held up to a light. Very pink soapy head leaving a lot of pink lacing as the head receded. Vigorous carbonation streaming from the bottom of the glass.

Nose is sour cherries, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, sweet cherries. Some oak and lighter red wine aromas as well, mainly tannins. Grassy wet hay funk mingles with the sour and sweet.

Taking a sip, vibrant cherries, very sour initially, but then a lot of sweet cherries and red fruits with light biscuit malt washes over the tongue. A bit of oaky tannins and fresh grassy funk lingers with sweet cherries on the tongue for a long time. Absolutely delicious.

Light bodied, highly carbonated with soft bubbles to really release aromas in your mouth without tiring out your tongue. Had two glasses of this one since it was so good. (984 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

This beer was served in a flute glass. The beer was the 2003 vintage.

Appearance: This beer is a very pleasing ruby coloration. The beer has light carbonation. This beer has no head to speak about.

Smell : This beer is a soup of citrus and brett yeasty funkyness. The beer has a fairly sharp acidic smell; however, the smell never gets over powering or offensive. The beer has a bit of sour cherries layered amongst the funk.

Taste: This beer is very layered. The sourness of the cherries and yeasty bret funkyness comes in pleasing waves.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer is light bodied but never watery. The beer has light carbonation. The flavors are very layered. This beer is not for everyone. The beer has a fairly large sourness and acidity. I on the other hand enjoyed this beer from the begining until it disappeared. (841 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

2007 Vintage, enjoyed on 4/10/12 at Monk's Cafe Beers of the Cellar event.

I love when krieks pour out this beautiful hazy red pink color with a small pink head. I think it's the most beautiful of all beers. A second pour gave off a much larger frothy pink head, but also much more haziness. 4.5

Oaky aromas with a big cherry note. It smells like when I made the Duchesse du Borgnone cherry pie. Sweet, but tart with a full cherry aspect. The tartness is for balance. 4.5

The taste continues the huge, dark and tart cherry theme that I am just crazy for in krieks. Aptly sour, it's completely focused on cherry and oak. So sweet, so balanced, I wish I could find more of this. It's fantastic, dare I say perfect? Again, slight variance across pours. Some are very sweet, others hint more towards acidic. I got the sweeter end (from the top of the bottle) and am quite happy I did. The second pour from the bottom of the bottom is acidic and aggressively sour. 5

The body is nicely medium with some carbonation. I'll just keep saying it: crazy drinkable. 4.5

This was served with a melt in your mouth lamb lollipop (thankfully without nuts, thanks Monks!) the cherry gastrique was simply perfect to pair with such a sweet kriek, and the lamb was delicious. 5 (1,262 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

a phenomenal beer every time. fresh, aged, whatever. reviewing the 2008 (bottled 2010) version. pours a glowing red with a lively pink head that shrinks to a collar pretty quickly. collar stays around the whole time. very pretty. nose reveals many layers of different fruit (strawberry, cherry, citrus), earth, must, funk, cobweb, vanilla, oak, and what is coming off to me like almond paste (like the semi-sweet chalky/pasty stuff in the little metal tube they use for those delicious Moroccan cookies). wow. there are wine barrel hints in there in the back end for sure as well that brings almost like a bloody minerality. taste is divine. the brightness of the cherry and tartness hit first, but before sour can take over, edges are rounded out by vanilla, wood and nuttiness, while grapefruit pith notes come in adding a touch of bitterness that helps lift everything back off the palate. once again, something very reminiscent of wine comes through in the back end of the taste, and if it isn't wine barrel aged, i'd be surprised. creamy, medium-full body that tingles just a bit from moderately prickly carbonation drinkability? i could drink this all night, and everything about it makes it feel like a special occasion. epic good. cantillon does it again. (1,263 characters)

4.81/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared by Adam last night, '08 cork, '10 sticker. Drinking a kriek originally brewed 7 years ago, I live a blessed life.

Pours a brilliant deep clear red, with a spotty small head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite sour and pretty funky, tons of lactic acid, some lemon, and a plethora of fresh sour cherries that are still bright and vibrant all these years later. I get cherry skins, and a good amount of oak. This one's pretty sour at this age, but it's not bracingly so, making it really drinkable. The sourness does not linger long with each sip.

There's a light body on this one, with a crisp and juicy mouthfeel- it goes down so easily. There's a higher level of carbnation.

This is a classic and one of the best lambics there is. So good. (764 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9%

750 mL bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a snifter

A- A nice bright clear red with a small pink head.

S- Barnyard funk, cherry pie, tart cherries, awesome balance.

T- Wow, sour cherries, sweet cherries, cherry pie, barnyard funk, some oak, sour but has great balance.

M- Light, smooth, crisp.

O- A great, well balanced lambic. I love this beer, I wish I could drink this all day. Makes me sad that Cantillon is so hard to get. (431 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +9%

2009 bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark red, with a thick and creamy, bright pink head.

S: Sour funk galore (more sourness than funk); and the cherries are notable, as well.

T: Excellently balanced sourness, funk, and fruit flavors. This is a perfect example of the style.

M: Smooth and creamy, with a good amount of carbonation. No cloying acidity (which some overly-sour krieks have).

O: A truly fantastic kriek. (451 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

This was one of my personal whales. Pours a golden red with a light bubble, but heavy carbonation. Love the smell of light cherrys. It is very airomatic. It taste like sour cherrys, with a very light mouth feel, light carbonation, small bubbles. It is a great Kriek, and will be my everyday beer when I win the lotto.

Overall on of my all time favs. This beer was great. I really hope to get my hands on another on and let it sit in the celler for a few year to see how it changes. (483 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

a - dark ruby red. purple mainly pink head, or the little that there is. the one thing i love about cantillon is the look and this one certainly doesnt let you down.

s - totally raunchy funky gueze-esk stank. like an old mans armpit in the best possible way. the fruit is there, but definitely is fallin off a bit.

t - way sour and funky like most cantillons ive had. absolutely delicious. grapefruit and cranberry bitterness but definitely a lot of sweet cherry. it seems to be fading off. slighty perfumy on the back of the throat.

m - very alive. like apple/pear cider or cranberry cider. a pretty high carbonation level surprisingly. very mouthwatering just thinking about it.

o - tops. totally tops. i want more!! i guess trading is my best bet at this point.. (770 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Thanks to Naptown25rs for this one. 2007 bottle, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A - Pours a deep red, with a big fluffy white head. A slight haze, but not much... looks awesome.

S - Definitely cherries first, followed by some serious Cantillon funk, earthy barnyard, definitely going to be tart, and also some slight wine character.

T - Not quite as sour as I thought it might be, but definitely tart. Sour cherries dominate, with some always solid Cantillon lambic to back it up. This lambic had some flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on the whole time, but it seemed very familiar to me. Perhaps a combination of the schaerbeek cherries, the sweet liquor, and the wine barrel. The combination of those flavors made this one of the best sours I've had. Great stuff.

M - Bubbly, puckering, dry, all things that make lambic great.

O - One of the best sours I've had the privilege of having. Had this directly following the standard Cantillon Gueuze and it stood well above. Something about this kriek gave it a very unique aspect that I haven't seen in other fruit lambics. I hope I can get a hold of another one these... (1,136 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +9.3%

2007 vintage, courtesy of Darrell.

This lambic pours a stunningly gorgeous, brilliant ruby color with a beautiful off white head reminiscent of sea foam. No lacing left in the wake, as to be expected, given the style.

The aroma is fantastic. Cherry pie jumps out at you if you get your nose anywhere in the vicinity of the bottle. Classic Cantillon barnyard funk along with hay, straw, wild yeast give the beer a very inviting scent.

The taste is even better than I remember from the previous occasion I drank this beer in 2007. All aspects of the flavor are spot on. The sourness in relation to fresh fruit ratio couldn't be better. This beer has incredible depth and complexity, and is just phenomenal. It is obvious why this barrel was specifically chosen to be a Lou Pepe.

The feel is incredibly smooth, with a great lingering aftertaste that continues to develop long after each sip.

On a night with many great beers on the table, this was without a doubt the highlight of the evening for me. This is one of my all-time favorite beers. (1,046 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Had a bottle of the '07 (bottled in '09) last night for my sour tasting; aged almost exactly 10 months in the bottle

A - Deep, yet vibrant red coloring with a similar head

S - Amazing, complex cherry notes that just leap out at you. Upon deep inhalations, I get some wheatiness

T - World class. Sweet on the tongue to start with a slightly sour finish. I will compare all krieks from this point onward to the Lou Pepe

M - A gentle swirl elicits a wave of feeling starting with a slight tingle on the tongue moving backward and into the cheeks. However, after swallowing the sensation moves back upward to the front of the mouth....amazing

D - I could be happy drinking little else for the rest of my days (709 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.7%

I'll have to check but I believe it was a 2007 bottle. Beer is red and forms a pink head of medium bubbles. No lacing really, carbonation is high and made of small bubbles that rise through the beer quickly.

Aroma is wonderful. Not as much cherry as the 100% but still pretty good. Classic Cantillon sour aroma with great lactic and slight acetic notes.

Taste is surprisingly smooth with only subtle cherry flavors. I tried this immediately after the 100% Kriek and if I were to do it again I would reverse the order. The tartness is nice and the lactic character highlights a nice cherry flavor. I wanted it to be stronger overall but this was amazing. I can't wait to try my 2005. Yum.

___

I've had this again and my reviews were way way too low for this beer. This is probably one of the best sours out there, hands down. (830 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had at Allagash WFC- the perfect sour. Color is beautiful, taste is sublime. I would seriously give anything for just another pour. This was a peak beer experience for me and I sincerely look forward to more. (213 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +10.2%

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip. 2007 vintage; bottled August 21, 2009.

(A)- Pours a beautiful deep dark ruby red hue that produced a good pink colored head that dissipated to a light layer of foam; some lacing here and there.

(S)- A dry yet fruity tart cherry aroma with a little bit of hay funk. Very dry, yet fruity tart raspberries in the background too. Great; beautiful aroma of tart fruits and dry funk. Lovely.

(T)- A great tart/ sourness of cherries in the forefront. Finishes in a great dry hay funk yet remains smooth with the ever present tart/sourness. A joy of flavors.

(M)- A great; lively carbonation level that lightly fizzes on the tongue. A great sourness that is diverse with the tart fruits at the same time. A light yet present hay/funk dryness throughout the range of the beer too. Pretty much an all around joy/orgasm/party to drink.

(D)- A fantasticly beautiful lambic. Tart and sour with a great fruit profile. Has a great acidity to it that combines well with everything else. The pinnacle of the style in all areas. I could easily have a whole bottle to myself no problem. (1,127 characters)

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Re-review of another batch. 2012 vintage into Cantillon balloon stem.

Appearance is a gorgeous, deep cherry red bordering on marroon. Or maybe it's past red and in purple/marroon territory. I mean it's deep. Lovely two finger pink head builds and holds well before settling to a nice froth layer. One of those beautiful beers to look at.

The aroma is also about as perfect as can be for a Kriek/Cherry sour. Tons of earthy cherry juice, pit, skin. A host of funky notes with horse blanket and damp earth predominating. I love krieks that show some funk through all the fruit. But you also have some oak, vanilla, and burgundy wine complimenting the cherry and funk.

The taste is, well phenomenal. I think I popped this baby right on time. The finest tasting LPK I've had to date. Like the aroma, this is so freakin balanced between Cherry, barrel, and funk. And the acidity has not even begun to accelerate so it's maintained that high drinkability of fresh LPK. Everything cherry is in this, juice, earthy pit, tart skin, and a touch of Cherry jam. The funk is cleaner on the palate than on the nose but offers up musky cave and a little minty leafiness. Oak is soft and red wine is fruity with medium tannic level. Acidity is low still and that's how I personally like it.

Mouthfeel is light, fluffy, and almost silky. I love the fact this doesn't sport a high carbonation level as it sometimes spoils the lambic experience. Despite the sweet cherry flavor characteristics this is invitingly dry and tart from front of the tongue to back.

Like in most cases with Cantillon, quite amazing. I've grown a soft spot for Krieks over the years and this proves that they too can blow me away. I am usually more fond of framboise so now is the time to crack a LPF to see how it compares to this Kriek. If you have any 2012 vintage (10' sticker) Lou Pepe Kreik, it's drinking amazing right now. Unless you prefer bracingly sour beer, it probably can't get better than this at this point. Or who knows with the endless possibilities of aged Cantillon :). (2,055 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

2007 vintage, bottled Aug 2009 and poured into Cantillon tulip.
Immediate deep pink head of foam on first pour which soon settled down to a ring of lace.
I drank this young as I enjoy the notably higher fruit profile of the younger Cantillon lambics (as I had done with the 2009 Fou Foune and Blabaer and Zwanze... all delightful)

The sour cherry flavour of this master-kriek almost has a creaminess to it which is wonderful and sets it apart from the regular kriek, although there is additionally a light spritzy mouthfeel which just adds to the drinkability. This did not seem mouth puckeringly sour to me, but I am sure most of my friends would still be wincing, even though I'd insist that the lambic sourness did not dominate the fruitiness.

Drinakbility ... ridiculously high... like all the Cantillon's I have tasted. I am looking forward to my next visit to rue Gheude! (882 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

750 bottle at Parker pie. 2012 vintage.

Simply phenomenal. Beautiful red color. Cherry tartness without being mouth puckering.

Amazing cherry aroma and flavor, not overly sweet.

A great great beer. (200 characters)

4.88/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours bright red with almost no head. The color is so vibrant that it looks artificial, though obviously it's all-natural. Aromas of tart cherries dominate with almost no perceptible funk at all, which is surprising. Taking a first sip... wow, just wow. It's nowhere near as tart as it smells. The umami taste that cherries have (but are muted by the natural sweetness) shines through in this brew. The mouthfeel is simply luxurious: imagine the sensation of chewing cherries but somehow the experience is distilled into liquid form. I could drink this beer all day, any day.

Krieks are near the top of my favorite styles of beer. And while I've been lucky to enjoy many stellar offerings, Cantillon's Lou Pepe has surpassed them all. World Class! (748 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

On tap at The Trappist. Fresh batch.

Vibrant black cherry red with a short-lived pink head. The nose is all cherry pie filling, sweet and sour, incredibly multi-dimensional and complex. Sour, sweet and earthy with flesh and skin and pit. Tastes ridiculously good, cherries at the forefront exhibiting ripe juicy sweetness, tannic skin and earthy pit. Moderate lactic sourness backs the fruit, it's not full-on sour by any stretch, more of a balanced presence. Funk is mild, buried beneath the fruit. This is just an astoundingly good beer on tap, a true session lambic. (570 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +10.6%

2008 vintage had on-tap at ChurchKey. Practically sprinted to the tap when I saw it was offered. After trying the standard Cantillon Kriek for the first time, it instantly joined my nebulous top-five-of-all-time-that's-probably-more-like-15-or-20... So I knew that the beer that was three years its senior and probably more complex from the get-go likely wouldn't disappoint.

Well, it was probably one of the best beers I've ever had. No question. Take the standard Cantillon Kriek, add some sweet spices, tone down the yeast activity and grow it three years in the tooth, and here you are. I usually think of BFM's tea-brewed beers when using words like subtle, understated, and complex, but this beer takes that delicacy and may leave BFM's best in the dust.

It's an opaque, ruby red with a shocking amount of carbonation considering the complete lack of head. Cherry funk, barnhouse flowers, and a raw, boozy citrus that seems to magically dissipate the longer it stays in your mouth. There's no really great way to describe this beer; it's pretty much sublime, so go out and grab one when you can. (1,103 characters)

4.9/5  rDev +10.9%

"2001" on the neck -- "bottled in 2.003" on the cork.
I've never had a berry beer that was this darkly colored. The top is shocking pink too.
The aromas are almost unbearable. Penetrating roomfulls of cherry pulp, cherry sap, skins, seeds and flesh characterise another savory bouquet from this house. That's it : this is wine -- not "beer." Mouthcoating with globs of dry, fruit essences and succulent mousse, there is a paint-like permanence to the flavors. It's like a Cornas from August Clape : sappy, full of energy and yet still immovably dense.
Sucked through clenched teeth and chewed on, it gives velvety rich texture and briny, stewpot succulence.
The finish is quite long and drenched with satisfying acidity. (724 characters)

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek from Brasserie Cantillon