Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 1,582
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,492 | Reviews: 336
3.88/5  rDev -15.7%

Poured a deep burgandy with a rim of pink foam. Smell is vinegar, open air, hint of fruitiness. The taste leads with cherries quickly overpowered by sour vinegar notes, while the finish is dominated by cherries and an acetone-like flavor. Mouthfeel is very soft compared to the other Cantillons I've had - no harsh drying astringency in the finish, just a smooth road to the next sip. Very drinkable, but I prefer the Lou Pepe framboise.

4.36/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottled 2009.

Pours a glorious dark ruby color with a pink-tinted white head. Tiny rising bubbles visible in the glass. I'm already drooling. Lifting it to the nose I get tart cherries, balsamic vinegar and... vomit. Just a wee bit. A weird funky note of stomach acid.

Taste-wise, this has quite a bit more cherry flavor than the regular Cantillion Kriek - with the latter, you get the IDEA they were there, whereas with the Lou Pepe they're clearly still around. Big, ripe & sour cherries, with less of the usual green apple and lemon notes. Still very tart. The vomit-y (or perhaps sweaty) note from the nose is present in the taste, but nowhere near as offputting as that sounds. Perhaps I'm just having trouble coming up with an adequate descriptor. Barrel hints of wood, vanilla and coconut come and go as they please, for a split second at a time. A little damp hay underpinning everything. Finish is sour and salty, almost savory. Not the most complex Cantillon I've had, but big bright flavors throughout.

Quite high carbonation with a clean and very dry finish - positively sucks the moisture from your mouth. You need another sip. NOW! And another. And so on. Wonderful beer.

4.75/5  rDev +3.3%

Great beer, lots of cherry.

This is a classic lambic kriek. It pours a red beer. Smells of funky yeasts, and cherry candy. Taste is sour, yet it is also sweet. I could not help thinking of a cherry soda, since this beer has that type of feel. Not much foam forms at the head. This beer is pretty light, and I wouldn't say you can drink the whole bottle, but at least half easily.

4.63/5  rDev +0.7%

Served in a flute glass.

Pours a dark murky red with small pinish head. Large amount of tight carbonation throughout drinking.

Smell: Light cherry smell. Strong musty, brett yeast smell with some citrus. Just smell sour/tart.

Taste: Definite brett yeast taste with tart cherry. The cherry is not overpowering. Very dry musty wine like flavor. Overall pleasing tartness more than sourness. I can't quite describe it; it is complex in the taste, but it is so well balanced altoghether it doesn't seem complex.

Light bodied with lots of carbonation without being stinging. Very dry in the mouthfeel without being astringent. Clean feeling and refreshing.

A true joy to drink if this style is your bag. A great beer to enjoy, but 1 or 2 will do just fine.

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%

I shared a bottle of this which was bought at Cantillon after we toured the place. Seeing it in person made me appreciate Cantillon beers so much more. Anyway, this Lou Pepe Kriek was pretty damn good. I'm pretty sure it made me smile. It poured a deep but not dark red colour with a light pink head. Very nice to look at. It had that funky lambic smell to it in the background, along with cherries and spices. Reminded me a bit of Quelque Chose but not as sweet. Taste was again full of cherries and spice, like cherry pie kind of, very mellow compared to other Cantillons I'd sampled. I wonder if it's because it's straight from the brewery so it's so fresh? Don't know, but it's good. It was soft in my mouth, not syrupy at all for how fruity it is, and yeah, I could drink lots more of it if it were around. Definitely worth trying, especially if you can get it from Mr. Van Roy himself!

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

Had a sample of the '04 of this at a gathering of Beer Advocate folks this evening (4/1/09). Colour... medium red with a thin veil of a pink head. Nose... tart, pollenator cherries, vinegar, cherry bark. Palate... whoa! Pucker up buttercup!! Wonderfully tart, lightly carbonated, acetic, redolent of tart pie cherries, vinegar and a hint of cinnamon. Made the salivary glands at the back of my palate gleek into high gear. Man this is nice stuff!!

4.97/5  rDev +8%

2003 vintage, generously shared by Ryan of the Funky Buddha

Hard to review this one as I really found no flaw with it...in my eyes the perfect Kriek. Pours a hazy grapefruit pink body with an inch of pink coral head. Smell is brilliant. Fresh tart cherries, oak, slight tannic dryness, a touch of musty funk. Tastes flawless too. Starts off with a kick of fresh cherries, very tart but balanced acidity, lots of oak notes and a little barnyard wildness on the finish. Also picked up some floral, almost perfume-like, notes on the finish. Mouthfeel was less thin than the standard Kriek and perfectly carbonated even with the age. Overall, I can't see a Kriek exceeding this one. Not sure if the age made the difference here but it sure didn't hurt. Seek this one out and buy it if a recent vintage is on the shelf.

4.83/5  rDev +5%

Thanks to Naptown25rs for this one. 2007 bottle, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A - Pours a deep red, with a big fluffy white head. A slight haze, but not much... looks awesome.

S - Definitely cherries first, followed by some serious Cantillon funk, earthy barnyard, definitely going to be tart, and also some slight wine character.

T - Not quite as sour as I thought it might be, but definitely tart. Sour cherries dominate, with some always solid Cantillon lambic to back it up. This lambic had some flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on the whole time, but it seemed very familiar to me. Perhaps a combination of the schaerbeek cherries, the sweet liquor, and the wine barrel. The combination of those flavors made this one of the best sours I've had. Great stuff.

M - Bubbly, puckering, dry, all things that make lambic great.

O - One of the best sours I've had the privilege of having. Had this directly following the standard Cantillon Gueuze and it stood well above. Something about this kriek gave it a very unique aspect that I haven't seen in other fruit lambics. I hope I can get a hold of another one these...

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

Reviewed from notes. 2009 vintage with a 9/1/2011 bottle date.

Beautiful ruby color. Very limited pink head that vanished almost immediately. Left a ring of small bubbles around top of the beer.

Tart cherries and some peppery spice. Some light musty wood and acidity.

Tart cherry is at the forefront followed by the peppery spiciness. Fairly acidic throughout, but there is a nice syrupy sweetness that backs everything up.

Dry and tannic, but there is a little bit of syrup that doesn't make it super-dry. Medium-light body, with a decent amount of carbonation.

A very awesome brew that we were very lucky to find. The bottle didn't last for too long, but I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

A true rare treat enjoyed at the Boston Beer Summit. Pure, unadulterated cherry lambic beer. No blending. Clean cherry aroma, slightly sour and band-aid like with a hint of being tart. Flavor is a strong mix of band-aid and sour tartness. Cherry flavor doesn't come through but is enjoyable nonetheless.

4.89/5  rDev +6.3%

2008 vintage had on-tap at ChurchKey. Practically sprinted to the tap when I saw it was offered. After trying the standard Cantillon Kriek for the first time, it instantly joined my nebulous top-five-of-all-time-that's-probably-more-like-15-or-20... So I knew that the beer that was three years its senior and probably more complex from the get-go likely wouldn't disappoint.

Well, it was probably one of the best beers I've ever had. No question. Take the standard Cantillon Kriek, add some sweet spices, tone down the yeast activity and grow it three years in the tooth, and here you are. I usually think of BFM's tea-brewed beers when using words like subtle, understated, and complex, but this beer takes that delicacy and may leave BFM's best in the dust.

It's an opaque, ruby red with a shocking amount of carbonation considering the complete lack of head. Cherry funk, barnhouse flowers, and a raw, boozy citrus that seems to magically dissipate the longer it stays in your mouth. There's no really great way to describe this beer; it's pretty much sublime, so go out and grab one when you can.

4.23/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Deep red in color, Bold cherry that is neither sour or sweet, but slightly tart.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

Pour: Ruby red with flecks of deep dark brown and a one fingered frothy pinkish head.

Nose: Sweet yet tart cherries, oak, vanilla, musty barnyard funk and slight lactic acid.

Taste: More tart cherry than the nose, lactic acid, slight vinegar, drying oak, hints of vanilla and funk from the classic Cantillon yeast.

Mouthfeel: Light, refreshing and slightly drying in the end.

Overall: An amazing Cantillon...as usual. The nose, taste and mouthfeel are amazing. Great stuff from Cantillon as usual.

4.48/5  rDev -2.6%

2006 Vintage 750 mL bottle. Color is amazing. burgundy-ish red, with crimson and ruby highlights. Whoa. This is incredible. Barnyard funk, wet grass, and sweet cherries hit the nose. Incredible tartness works the side of the tongue, but the sweetness of the cherries and malt balances this and makes it into something divine. Lots of lemon and citrus zest and some grapefruit. Man, smooth, delicious. In typical Cantillon fashion, complex and very hard to describe. I'll buy one of these whenever I see one.

4.73/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottled in September, 2011, from the 2009 vintage. Poured into a tulip.

A: The same color as a red ruby from Zelda with a scrumptiously pinkish white head. Minimal lacing, but who cares, it's fucking beautiful.

S: Acidic strawberries and cherries, slight funkiness, hints of woodland aromas. Smells like a lambic on steroids. Way more potent smelling than any other lambic, but not in an offensive way.

T: Sour fruits with cherries being the most dominant flavor. This is definitely sour, but not overly sour. Compared to Cantillon Rosé De Gambrinus (the only other Cantillon I've ever tried) it's less sour. Flavors are strong, but not so strong that you have to brace yourself for each sip.

M: Sour, low carbonation, very full for a lambic.

O: Wow, this is fantastic stuff. I'd drink the hell out of this if I could find it on a regular basis. Definitely a whale worthy of it's fame. Definitely my favorite sour yet.

4.02/5  rDev -12.6%

well, what can you expect from a Cantillon beer? Their definite signature... of course! It's stinks, but we like it!!!

Beautiful colour. Ruby red, translucide without any yeast suspension. This is quite surprising. Nose is typical of cantillon. It smells bad, like dirty sweaty feet! Definitely Cantillon yeast signature. Carbonation is low, almost no head when poured. Sweetness from the fruit is nearly absent and fruitiness is low too! This is certainly due to the high acidity of this beer. For having tasted the regular Kriek and the Lou Pepe kriek to far apart, I cannot tell major differences between the two. This is to bad because I'm sure their are notable differences...

This is a very good traditional Kriek. Don't expect to drink something sweet as the Lindemans... For aficionados only!

4.99/5  rDev +8.5%

love this beer but like the LPF more

4.17/5  rDev -9.3%

2007 vintage poured into my favorite chalice. A cloudy ruby brew with a large pinkish white head.

Smells sour with notes of cherry, medicinal funk and the wild yeast. When I distance myself from the glass I can pick up a very appealing strong cherry smell.

This beer is very tart up front, tart cherry, sour cherry candy. The sourness of the beer is not what I expected, it's more tart then sour. A medicinal funk finishes the taste. There is no sweetness in the taste.

A fairly full mouthfeel.

I find lambics to be very different from what I drink on a daily basis. This was really good, none of the flavours are wrong or over the top.

3.93/5  rDev -14.6%

Wow. This was really nice.
It pours a deep opaque red, with a minimal white head. It's really quite attractive. The depth of colour is fantastic.
The nose is, unsurprisingly, dominated by sour cherry, but with complex tones that invite the first sip. The flavour follows, with strongly acidic sour cherry tempered by slightly wood-like characteristics. I was reminded somewhat of fresh cranberry - tart, sour and wonderful.
The mouthfeel is very, very dry, with such a deeply acidic, sour beer, but is not at all unpleasant - just the opposite, in fact.
While one of the others in the room (clearly not a BA!) compared this beer to vinegar after a single sip, do not let that dissuade you from trying what is truly a very good brew.
It's not a beer I'd want to drink all afternoon, but was really very, very enjoyable.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

’08 vintage bottle thanks to Destructo. Ruby red pour with a pinkish head. Raspberry, vanilla, and oak aromas. Tart cherry, sour raspberry, semi-acidic with light funk, and oaky notes.

4.49/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

My second favorite sour -- I slightly prefer the Framboise.

A bit of dirty socks on the aroma, and the sour fruit will make you pucker. And then somehow it will make you want to take another sip.

I think the brewers at Cantillon wish that people preferred the 100% lambics over the "Lou Pepe" versions, but my taste buds agree with most people.

4.47/5  rDev -2.8%

Split a bottle with my wife.

Pours dark amber/red with a small redish white head. Not as lively as I had expcted, but a Good looking beer none the less.

Smells of cherries and citrus tartness. There isn't much else there... maybe some malt notes, but it's all dominated by the tart fruit aroma. I love it.

Sweet pucker, it tastes sharp, sour and mildly fruity. The cherries come through very well and the clean Cantillon sourness is outstanding. Great beer. It could be a little more drinkable, maybe if there were more carbonation it would lighten it up a bit, not sure, but half a glass was enough for me.

The is the perfect beer.

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on tap at O'Brian's into a tulip…

Pours a bright red with a small pink head that lingers for quite a while. The beer has wonder champagne feel to it with the many tiny bubbles circulating in the beer.

The nose was everything you would expect from a wild beer. Sourness with a slight barnyard to it. You definitely pick up on the cherries, but more of an unripe, slightly tart cherry. Beautiful, couldn't wait to taste.

Ahhh the taste. Reminds me of sucking on some sour candy when I was a kid. Makes the mouth pucker with tart delight. The sourness subsides leaving beautiful sweet cherry taste. Ah, the joys of Brett, pediococcus
and lactobacillus at work.

Mouthfeel is tingly from carbonation but you can't help but mention again the mouth puckering sensation when discussing mouthfeel.

Now of course this beer will turn many people off. If you respect the true style of lambics, this beer is a grand example of one of the most truly unique styles known to brewing. In my opinion Cantillon rules the lambics. At least the many I've had. For my wedding night we opened a bottle of Lou Pepe Framboise that was amazing, but I wish I had the Kriek. Thankfully I have a bottle sitting in my cellar now.

4.88/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours bright red with almost no head. The color is so vibrant that it looks artificial, though obviously it's all-natural. Aromas of tart cherries dominate with almost no perceptible funk at all, which is surprising. Taking a first sip... wow, just wow. It's nowhere near as tart as it smells. The umami taste that cherries have (but are muted by the natural sweetness) shines through in this brew. The mouthfeel is simply luxurious: imagine the sensation of chewing cherries but somehow the experience is distilled into liquid form. I could drink this beer all day, any day.

Krieks are near the top of my favorite styles of beer. And while I've been lucky to enjoy many stellar offerings, Cantillon's Lou Pepe has surpassed them all. World Class!

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek from Brasserie Cantillon