Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 1,505
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-12-2002

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,392 | Reviews: 322

4.21/5  rDev -8.5%

Another one from the 7/27 Top Hops mini tasting! thanks to mac and justin for sharing!

vintage 09

a - gorgeous red with think pink foamy head. really attractive.

s - rotten eggs, extremely tart. sour cherry.

t - over the top mouth puckeringly sour cherry and rotten egg.

m - nice prickly carbonation. leaves a sour after taste. dry. great for the summer.

o - overall rather nice sour, but be prepared for this one is rather sour. the fruitiness is a nice touch. overall very enjoyable.

4.2/5  rDev -8.7%

A - Poured out a clear reddish color with a light pink head of bubbly foam. It left thin white suds on the glass.

S - It smelled of cherry with some sour notes. Some caramel aroma.

T - Great blend of sour cherry with some sweet notes, too. A touch of caramel and just the slightest bitterness.

M - It was crisp and sharp with a subtle pucker factor. A light to medium bodied ale.

O - This is a really good kriek. Cantillon is always very good.

4.33/5  rDev -5.9%

2007 Vintage. Pours a dark red color with a medium, light pink head that disappeared quickly. Scent was quite acidic at first with sour cherries and other red berries. Tons of oak aromas with a subdued funky aroma (not one of the funkiest Cantillons I've had). Some spiciness with barnyard hay and some more berry...raspberry. Taste is very tart cherry at first, but casually transform to sweet and juicy. Slightly acidic with some lovely oak barrel flavors. Not the most sour Cantillon I've had, but very complex. Makes me wonder what this tasted like fresh. Probably like Cantillon Kriek. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and highly carbonated. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this beer was fantastic. Not the best Cantillon I've had, but they're all so good and all so different (even when it's the same beer, just a different batch)...this one was great though!

4.23/5  rDev -8%

2007 vintage.

A - Pours a dark strawberry jam hue with beautiful thick creamy pink head and sheet lacing.

S - Sour cherries as you'd expect. Some natural syrupy sweetness shines through the funk along with some wet bark.

T - Wowser, that's pretty sour. Huge tartness dominates, backed some fruity sweetness and oak. Lots of acid, was too much for the wife who dropped out early with heartburn. More for me.

M - Great balance, medium body and carbonation. Bringing the funk in a major fashion and throwing in serves of gum destroying tartness. Big beer.

O - I remember having my first Cantillon Kriek last year and wondering if lambics just weren't for me. Having developed my palate since then, I'm sure I would appreciate it for what it is next time. Stepping up and over to the Lou Pepe though, was not regretted.

4.67/5  rDev +1.5%

On-tap at Deep Ellum for their pre-Festival Throwdown. One of the beers I was most excited to try. 2009 Vintage. 10oz serving served in an oversized wine glass. Consumed right after the event was supposed to start, so I'm guessing very freshly tapped.

A- Appears a fairly opaque dark red almost blood red in appearance, some translucency towards the bottom of the glass. No head, just a very thin foamy ring of reddish white bubbles around the edges. Small carbonation bubbles appear around the edges of the glass, slightly below average carbonation.

S- Very aromatic smell of tart/sour cherries, maybe some raspberries, a tiny bit of wood, and acidic aromas. Most predominate by far is the sour cherries.

T- Tastes of sour/tart cherries, a tiny bit of raspberries and other berries, definitely plays with the palate and leaves a sugary sour cherry aftertaste that lingers in the mouth and around the lips for longer then I've ever experienced in a beer (I finished the beer about a hour before writing this review and I feel like I can still taste it). I feel like I can lick the taste right from my lips.

M- Fairly light, perfect for the hot summer day today (90+ degrees), the carbonation perfectly complements the sourness and adds a great dry, sour, slightly bubbly finish to the beer.

O- I don't drink sours too often, I've always been more of a stout and DIPA person but I definitely enjoyed this beer. I started off the night with this beer and craved the taste of it so much that I had to order it again before I left (also considering I knew this beer is fairly rare). At $13/10oz serving this is saying something- I very rarely order $13 drinks, never mind twice in a night. I thought the beer was great in almost every way and I wish I could order it more often. I can definitely see why this is considered one of the best krieks/sours in the world.

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.25/5  rDev -7.6%

4.5/5  rDev -2.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek from Brasserie Cantillon