Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-12-2002

Reviews: 332 | Hads: 1,558
4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

2007 vintage into an infinium glass and duvel glass.

Pours a deep ruby color with a nice pink head. No lacing down the glass.

Smells like funk, cherries, lemons, lactic acid, acetic acid and a small amount of band aids.

Taste is of cherries, brett funk, sour from lactic and acetic acids and oak. Very dry finish from the oak and very pleasant. A perfect smelling lambic.

Mouthfeel is thick for a lamic but a good amount of carbonation.

Overall its damn good, not perfect. Its almost Iris good IMO

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

On-tap at Deep Ellum for their pre-Festival Throwdown. One of the beers I was most excited to try. 2009 Vintage. 10oz serving served in an oversized wine glass. Consumed right after the event was supposed to start, so I'm guessing very freshly tapped.

A- Appears a fairly opaque dark red almost blood red in appearance, some translucency towards the bottom of the glass. No head, just a very thin foamy ring of reddish white bubbles around the edges. Small carbonation bubbles appear around the edges of the glass, slightly below average carbonation.

S- Very aromatic smell of tart/sour cherries, maybe some raspberries, a tiny bit of wood, and acidic aromas. Most predominate by far is the sour cherries.

T- Tastes of sour/tart cherries, a tiny bit of raspberries and other berries, definitely plays with the palate and leaves a sugary sour cherry aftertaste that lingers in the mouth and around the lips for longer then I've ever experienced in a beer (I finished the beer about a hour before writing this review and I feel like I can still taste it). I feel like I can lick the taste right from my lips.

M- Fairly light, perfect for the hot summer day today (90+ degrees), the carbonation perfectly complements the sourness and adds a great dry, sour, slightly bubbly finish to the beer.

O- I don't drink sours too often, I've always been more of a stout and DIPA person but I definitely enjoyed this beer. I started off the night with this beer and craved the taste of it so much that I had to order it again before I left (also considering I knew this beer is fairly rare). At $13/10oz serving this is saying something- I very rarely order $13 drinks, never mind twice in a night. I thought the beer was great in almost every way and I wish I could order it more often. I can definitely see why this is considered one of the best krieks/sours in the world.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Reviewed from notes. 2009 vintage with a 9/1/2011 bottle date.

Beautiful ruby color. Very limited pink head that vanished almost immediately. Left a ring of small bubbles around top of the beer.

Tart cherries and some peppery spice. Some light musty wood and acidity.

Tart cherry is at the forefront followed by the peppery spiciness. Fairly acidic throughout, but there is a nice syrupy sweetness that backs everything up.

Dry and tannic, but there is a little bit of syrup that doesn't make it super-dry. Medium-light body, with a decent amount of carbonation.

A very awesome brew that we were very lucky to find. The bottle didn't last for too long, but I'll be thinking about this one for a while.

4.66/5  rDev +4.3%

2004 vintage, the cork said bottled in 2006

A: Pours a cloudy cherry red color. A one finger pinkish head forms and leaves light lace.
S: Smells of fruit, cinnamon, and a nice woodiness. The wonderful barnyard funky malt is present that I love. Lightly sour and tart.
T: Sweet and sour cherries that are more pronounced than in the nose. Definitely sour, but not mouth puckering at all. A very interesting spicy cinnamon and woody/oak flavor that brings everything together perfectly. Slightly acidic.
M/D: A medium to full body that is well carbonated. Perfectly crisp and dry. I finsihed the 750ml bottle by myself. Pretty easy to drink.

Probably the best Belgian sour beer I have had. Interesting and subtle, not just sour and tart. So much is going on here it is amazing. Highly recommended.

4.65/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance is a clear magenta with a short pink head. Nose is full of tart cherries. I get some jammy qualities and almost a bit of rhubarb. Notes vinegar on the nose with slight hints of oak. The taste is delicious. Plenty of puckering tartness up front with delicious cherry forward profile. Not a whole lot of other adjectives I can use than cherry, but that is okay because this is delicious. Mouthfeel is heavily carbonated and tasty. Overall, delicious.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Brewed in 2007, bottled in 2009, sampled in April 2010.

Resounding pop upon pulling the cork. Plumskin red with a short-lived carnation pink fizzy head. Somewhat hazy. The nose is of tart cherries, of course, along with an almost medicinally citric sourness. The acidity is pungent, and the aromatic experience is not dissimilar from smelling mentholatum. Much less sour than I expected, but there is a wonderfully full tart cherry flavor. Every bit of the fruit's flavor ended up in the beer, which is a triumph in my book. Some leathery and bitter orange flavors emerge around the edges. Crisp but unobtrusive carbonation, light yet substantial heft, and fairly dry finish that is somewhat muted by the impressive cherry flavor. Not my favorite kriek (I prefer De Ranke time and again), but this is undoubtedly world-class. Great for a breezy mid-April afternoon in New Mexico.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Label reads 2003. Cork reads 2005. Off notes 1-3-2007.

Pours an extremely slightly hazed garnet color with a pink head that doesn’t stick around. Smells like when you have a band-aid on and it gets really wet and you don’t take it off for a while, but when you do, your skin smells funny. Antiseptic smell. Also a fair amount of fruit and a very mild yeast influence. Flavor is of the best aged lambics. Mildly funky at first with a typical sour punch in the mouth that isn'’t overly powerful. Definite wood influence on the palate. Calmly there, but not overpowering at all. Feel is typical. Not a ton of bubble, but a little bit. Extremely drinkable. In my limited experience with lambics, this is by far the best I have had. And rightly so for $21 a bottle. If you see it, try it. Worth the money IMO. Bloody marvelous.

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served lightly chilled in an over sized wine glass.
2009 Sticker date
Bottled on 01 September 2011, good for 10 years.

This is the 8th beer in my series of sours and is the first of my 3 krieks.

Appearance: This is hands down the best looking lambic I have had! Absolutely stunning deep pink body topped by a large, creamy, pink marshmallow coloured head. The subsequent pour cause more clouding and a much deeper pink, almost purple tinged, body.

Smell: Mmmmm, this smells absolutely delicious. My first whiff seemed to be all funk, but with each subsequent sniff the fruity cherry character seems to increase until the point that is almost more dominant than the funk. The cherry character is both tart (dominant) and sweet (underlying). Other notes include: Sweet strawberries, vinegar, lightly vinous, old wood, musty, wet hay, oak and a hint of feet.

Taste: Simply delicious! Wonderful balance of cherries (mostly tart this time) and funk. Tanic cherry skins, a touch of sweet berry, oak, musty hay, old wood, sweat and a touch of vinegar are also noted.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate, fine bubbled carbonation. Moderate tartness (not mouth puckering) and a light dryness in the finish.

Overall: I have heard this beer described as one of the most intense fruit beers on earth and I wholeheartedly agree! Stunning mixture of sweet-tart cherries and funk. I will certainly be having this again in the future!

4.65/5  rDev +4%

The cork said it was bottled in 2010, the label said it was originally brewed in 2008.

A: Massive 1" pink head that dissipated quickly over murky dark raspberry vinaigrette coloured liquid.

S: Funk, vinegar, some oak and cherries.

T: Tartness and vinegar up front, and this acidity breaks into flavours of sour cherries and some oak on the back end.

M: Thin viscosity and a high level of extremely fine carbonation.

O: The viscosity was much thinner than I had expected, and this has more vinegar and funk than fruit taste as compared to some of the non-aged Cantillon lambics. I found this to be extremely drinkable once my palate settled down.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%

Buckeyeboy brought this big ole 2003 750 to the Friday night tasting.. Badass!! Thanks Jeremy!!

Pink head.. hazy reddish/pink brew...

Nose immediately reminds me of chokecherry syrup... tons of lactic sour with dusty dank basement funk....

Bushels of cherries... a fair amount of sweetness that is balanced perfectly by a super sour bomb.. great sweaty horsey funk.. but wow oh wow... sour.. puckering lactic.. very little acetic qualities.. the brett has had a long time to blossom and it is all over the place and lingers with a fruity and very sour finish forever...

Amazingly balanced... the sweet is honestly just perfect for the amount of perceived acidity... wonderful... Expected sparkling wine like body ... carbonation is a tad less..

I need to find some more of these... but christ, pulling the trigger any time soon is not going to happen... I wish Cantillon would make it to Boise more regularly... Thanks again Jeremy, this was a treat.

4.64/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this last night to celebrate the life of someone I just lost. 750 ml bottle; 2007 vintage, bottled in 2009. Poured into an oversized wine glass...

A - Exceptional looking beer. Poured a beatuiful cherry red color that is quite clear. A gorgeous foamy, pink head forms about 2 fingers thick. Very nice retention.

S - Cherries out front, but I am not bombarded with their sweetness like I feared I would be. It is a mix of tart, sweet cherries and cherry pie filling scooped right out of a homemade pie. Wood notes and classic Cantillon barnyard funk come next mixing very nicely with the sweetness of the cherries.

T - Cherry is much more integrated into the flavor profile here and is really complement ed nicely by the slight sourness and acidity. Funkiness and tartness work well together to make a truly unique tasting lambic. Woody undertones add nicely to a really tart flavor profile.

M - Very nice carbonation and a medium bodied beer. Nice dry finish to this one. Puckers the mough for sure, but it is that great kind of tartness you want from a beer like this.

O - Awesome, awesome beer. This is why Cantillon is the best at what they do. Exceptionally balanced beer and one that I am going to seek out every chance I get.

4.63/5  rDev +3.6%

Served in a flute glass.

Pours a dark murky red with small pinish head. Large amount of tight carbonation throughout drinking.

Smell: Light cherry smell. Strong musty, brett yeast smell with some citrus. Just smell sour/tart.

Taste: Definite brett yeast taste with tart cherry. The cherry is not overpowering. Very dry musty wine like flavor. Overall pleasing tartness more than sourness. I can't quite describe it; it is complex in the taste, but it is so well balanced altoghether it doesn't seem complex.

Light bodied with lots of carbonation without being stinging. Very dry in the mouthfeel without being astringent. Clean feeling and refreshing.

A true joy to drink if this style is your bag. A great beer to enjoy, but 1 or 2 will do just fine.

Bottle (2007)

Zwanze Day 2011
Bottle Share
Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA

(Aged for 2 years)

Cloudy yet bright red with glowing grapefruit edges and a thin pink head. Spots of lacing down the glass.

Rich cherries and biting sourness combine to make an incredibly aromatic and uniquely special smelling beer. The cherry aroma is vibrant and alive while the biting sourness is stinging yet not overly aggressive. There's a bit of wood and a mild farm funk as well.

Rich cherry flavor coupled with a stinging, full sourness without being too acidic or attacking, balanced remarkably well with comforting, inviting flavors of hay, earth, and a bit of wood.

Light to medium bodied with lots of carbonation.

Blissfully good beer.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

750ml bottle. 1999 Vintage.

Poured a reddish color with a reddish/pinkish head. Fruity aromas and tastes. Sour cherries. Grapes. Tart. Acidic. Puckering. This was a very good lambic. I'll have to get another bottle of this one.

Notes from: 1/16/05

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

On tap at Max's. I missed out on bottles, and figured if I could get two glasses at Max's for the price of one at Church Key, I would.

Pouring a turbid cherry color with a dense, pink head that recedes to a thin ring, this looks pretty good for a kriek. However, I shall dock half a point because it looks so girly that this chick asked me what the sweet, fruity beverage I was drinking was. The nose, OTOH, was fantastic. Rich, deep cherry character, with a wonderful schaerbeeks cherry character with a blend of leather, cherry pie and a little less cocoa (than the 07 vintage, at least) present. Fresh, tart rhubarb, bright and piquant, are noticeable, along with a strong, lactic sourness with a subdued vinegar character. Not much vinous or oak character are present.

The palate opens with a brilliant blend of bright cherries, a little leather and a dense, complex parquet of cherries and lambic. I can't really describe it better than saying that that's what I want a kriek to taste like - intensely sour but never wearing on the palate, incredibly fruity, pleasantly oaky and moderately tannic with an illustrative blend of oak tannins and skin tannins. Soft, frothy and fluffy on the palate with a mildly fruity and pulpy character, this beer is a masterpiece on the palate. I drank about 25oz, and could have gone for another 25 if I didn't have to go home. A stellar kriek, I'm being stingy here only because I think the 07 was the best possible kriek there is, and this isn't quite there yet.

**Edit 30 Aug 2015**
Drinking my lone bottle of the 08 LPK, which is the same vintage as reviewed above. Beautiful nose with masterful funk, leather, earth, preserved lemons (mild, compared to what the 07 vintage was at its prime). Soft, fruity, beautiful. So sad i won't be seeing this again.

4.61/5  rDev +3.1%

750ml, 2001 vintage bottle, bottled in 2003. Purchased in Bruxelles at the Cantillon brewery. Mr. Van-Roy rang me up personally. This bottle was about $7. Compare that to the $30 that we would normally pay for a lou pepe here!

Appearance: As always the appearance is awesome. A well carbonated red brew with a small head of pinkish/off-white foam.

Smell: The aromas seem a bit subdued for a Cantillon offering. The classic Cantillon lambic funk is there, but it is in the background more than it usually is. I also pick up cherry pie filling, and a melange of spices in the aroma.

Taste: The taste is an awesome blend of cherry pie filling, acidic lambic funk, and light malts. This really is different than many other Cantillon brews. Perhaps this is because this is a very fresh bottle? Or perhaps it is because the Lou Pepe beers are supposed to be much fruiter than the regular fruit beer offerings from Cantillon? Either way, it works! This is like Quelque Chose (which I loved), but the complexity and funk that this brew throws, makes it even better!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and everything that one would expect from a Cantillon offering. Swish this one around in your mouth, and just hold it there for a while.

Drinkability: The drinkability of this monster is awesome. A sweet, cherry-pie-filling-like brew that will satisfy you until the last drop is down your gullet.

In the end: Highly recommended by me, and absolutely amazing fresh. It may be $30 here in the states, but it is still worth every penny. C'mon treat yourself!

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

EDIT: ratings edited from recent tastings, review not edited.

Bottle has 2008 sticker date, poured July 2011 for my Cantillon birthday tasting.

Beautiful ruby red color with a red foamy head. Frankly this beer looks even better than it tastes.

Some sour cherry on the nose, but more metallic sour and funk than fruit.

The flavor is good but a little disappointing after the miraculous Lou Pepe Framboise we opened just before this one. Good cherry flavor, but not anywhere near the level of fruitiness as the framboise had, not really any more fruity to my taste than the normal Cantillon kriek (granted, I have not had them together on the same night). The sourness is also less acidic than the framboise and more of a metallic funky kind of sour. The cherries just don't shine through as much as I hoped they would. Still a tasty beer.

This beer was good, very solid lambic, but not a standout amidst the other wonderful Cantillon beers we tried the same night. Not really worth seeking out when the standard Cantillon kriek is much more readily available. As good but no better than the classic kriek. Weird how that happens--I also enjoy the standard 3F Oude Kriek more than the 35 Schaerbeekse kriek.

2004 Vintage on Tap at Monk's in early 2010

A: Dark blood red. Nice one finger bubbly pinkish head. Quickly receded to a nice skim and collar. Spotty lacing left in the glass after each sip.

S: Tart and sour cherries hit right from the start, a bit of musty funk and acidic vinegar.

T: Delicious cherries. Simultaneously sweet, tart and sour. Waves of flavor sensations come at you with each sip. A nice underlying funk, and musty oak -- that quintessential cantillon vibe is definitely here. Some general acidic notes round things out. I am a fan of aged krieks even though they start to lose some of the cherry flavor. This was divine.

M: Medium bodied with good gentle carbonation. Smooth, almost juice like. Quite puckering.

D: I had one glass, and probably could of had a second, but this was a small sip beer for sure.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%

As close to a brut fruit beer/champagne as you can get. Poured with a pretty, cherry pink, fine foamy head that lasts and no lace. Color is an intense, clear, ruby red. Aroma is a tart, pie cherry, slightly earthy. Flavor is like nose, very crisp and pure. Body is full and has huge champagne carbonation. Finish is super clean and bright..Be a great summertime appertif.

4.6/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

750ml bottle into Duvel tulip. 2004 vintage, bottled in September 2006.

Appearance: No sludge on cap, and the cork (which smells good) comes out easily, with no subsequent gushing. Free pour yields a half inch, fizzy, light pink head that dissipates quickly into a persistent frothy ring around the glass. Pours an interesting clear orange/pink-tinged red, and leaves short lasting islands of lacing.

Smell: Huge Brett funk; it's "barnyard" but pleasant, and full of more nuances than I can meaningfully attach to metaphors. Some mildly acetic cherry underneath that gradually moves to the forefront. The smell is full, pungent, and adventurous.

Taste: Starts with a slow onset sourness that fills the entire mouth. At the same time, there's a strong musty funk up front that quickly gives way to sour cherries, culminating in a long, satisfyingly sour finish. The constantly changing aroma enriches the taste, bringing out myriad fruit flavors along with the deep tangy funk.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, with perfect, lively but not distracting carbonation. Juicy but never watery in the slightest. Dry finish, but not too dry; the mouth still feels full of tartness with sweet highlights.

Drinkability: Once again, Cantillon delivers a perfect lambic to sip for hours. The flavor is aggressive, but so complex and engaging that I don't tire of it.

I opened this bottle with high expectations, and got exactly what I was looking for. Easily worth the $22~ I paid for this.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

On-tap at Rattle n hum.
Served in an 8oz whit wine glass.

A: It pours a deep red color with lovely purple hues in the light. There was a small white head that dissapated rather quickly leaving no lacing.

S: The nose is full of succulent tart ripe cherries. There are also notes of hay, leather, and wet socks. The lactic acid has obviously performed it's duties as wafts of sour funk fill my nostrils. Oak is present but extremely subdued amongst the other prevalent players.

T: This is everything I daydream about in a kriek. The cherries are front and center but any hint of sweetness has been gobbled up by the yeast and critters. It is extremely tart and sour with a wonderful presence of brett; barnyard, leather, and hay are all there and really balanced. The oak shows up on the palate in the form of a nice woody finish.

M: The feel is medium to light bodied with a lush carbonated backbone.

O: This is without question the best kriek I have had. Balanced and so delicious.

4.59/5  rDev +2.7%

Clear red body with a super pink head that falls quickly. A very beautiful looking beer.

Lots of cherry. A little sugary sweetness and acidic quality from all those cherries. Marzipan. As always a little funky. Oh yeah.

When served to me the Lou Pepe Kriek was referred to as the Rolls Royce of Krieks on account of the amount of cherries in it. It is hard to deny such a title. Almond and barnyard.
A good nice easy carbonation with medium body. A little dry.

Pretty much a Rick Ross(bawse) Kriek.

The Great Lambic Summit

2005 vintage. Pours a nice, hazy, ruby red color with thin puff of pinkish hued head. Scent is of muted tart cherry, mild sweetness and mild funk - very low key. Taste is aggressive tart cherry, hints of graham cracker and sweet cream. Background notes of sourness and oak. Medium bodied, spritzy and dry. An excellent kriek.

Update: Cracked a 2007 vintage on 10/22 and the flavor and tartness of the cherry dominate as the funkiness is much more pronounced. Still a good beer but much better with age.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Cantillon stemmed taster glass. 2012 label, 2014 cork. Acquired in a trade.

Pours a deep cherry, maroon body with a quickly rising pink head that reduces at a moderate rate, leaving a thick ring of retention that sticks around for a while. Slightly fizzy.

On the nose is straight cherry pie, berries and tart fruit skins, slight funky mustiness, vinegar, and oak barrel.

Upon sipping I get notes of super tart, nearly sour cherries, light berry, dry white wine, lemon zest, light vinegar, lacto funk, light muted hops, ends with a tongue-drying tartness and citrus. Medium-high carbonation, very easy to drink, light body but packed full of flavors. Very nice.

Overall Lou Pepe Kriek was fantastic. A good amount of sour, nice amount of cherry without being over-fruited, and very smooth and drinkable. Worth seeking out!

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Sampled at the Secret Summit- probably a 2007 edition given it’s softness and not too intense sourness. Pours an unreal, super cloudy, vibrant, deep pink/purple with a dense, light purple head that has excellent retention and lace. Aroma is light band-aid that quickly moves to baked cherry pie, freshly baked/burnt sweet cherries. Incredible. Taste is tart, not too sour, full of cherry pie. Really has no flaws at all. Soft, lactic, cherry yogurt palate. 9/5/9/5/15=4.1

750mL 2007. Pours perfectly with a creamy pink, thin head that lasts throughout. Nose is just so awesome. Soft, tart, cherries, cherry pie, raspberry yogurt. Taste is similar: a play off raspberries and sour cherries with such a soft, beautiful body it really is not even fair. This is definitely the perfect kriek. I want some everyday. 9/5/9/5/18=4.6

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek from Brasserie Cantillon