Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 05-12-2002

Reviews: 332 | Hads: 1,561
4.8/5  rDev +7.4%

a phenomenal beer every time. fresh, aged, whatever. reviewing the 2008 (bottled 2010) version. pours a glowing red with a lively pink head that shrinks to a collar pretty quickly. collar stays around the whole time. very pretty. nose reveals many layers of different fruit (strawberry, cherry, citrus), earth, must, funk, cobweb, vanilla, oak, and what is coming off to me like almond paste (like the semi-sweet chalky/pasty stuff in the little metal tube they use for those delicious Moroccan cookies). wow. there are wine barrel hints in there in the back end for sure as well that brings almost like a bloody minerality. taste is divine. the brightness of the cherry and tartness hit first, but before sour can take over, edges are rounded out by vanilla, wood and nuttiness, while grapefruit pith notes come in adding a touch of bitterness that helps lift everything back off the palate. once again, something very reminiscent of wine comes through in the back end of the taste, and if it isn't wine barrel aged, i'd be surprised. creamy, medium-full body that tingles just a bit from moderately prickly carbonation drinkability? i could drink this all night, and everything about it makes it feel like a special occasion. epic good. cantillon does it again.

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared by Adam last night, '08 cork, '10 sticker. Drinking a kriek originally brewed 7 years ago, I live a blessed life.

Pours a brilliant deep clear red, with a spotty small head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells quite sour and pretty funky, tons of lactic acid, some lemon, and a plethora of fresh sour cherries that are still bright and vibrant all these years later. I get cherry skins, and a good amount of oak. This one's pretty sour at this age, but it's not bracingly so, making it really drinkable. The sourness does not linger long with each sip.

There's a light body on this one, with a crisp and juicy mouthfeel- it goes down so easily. There's a higher level of carbnation.

This is a classic and one of the best lambics there is. So good.

4.81/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Review on a vintage 07 Lou Pepe Kriek. Dark murky color with a pinkish crown of foam. Smell is wet oak, vanilla, funk, and cherry with a nicely pleasant acidity. Probably the best Kriek ive ever had the pleasure of consuming.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

750 mL bottle, 2008 vintage, poured into a snifter

A- A nice bright clear red with a small pink head.

S- Barnyard funk, cherry pie, tart cherries, awesome balance.

T- Wow, sour cherries, sweet cherries, cherry pie, barnyard funk, some oak, sour but has great balance.

M- Light, smooth, crisp.

O- A great, well balanced lambic. I love this beer, I wish I could drink this all day. Makes me sad that Cantillon is so hard to get.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

2009 bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a tulip glass.

A: Dark red, with a thick and creamy, bright pink head.

S: Sour funk galore (more sourness than funk); and the cherries are notable, as well.

T: Excellently balanced sourness, funk, and fruit flavors. This is a perfect example of the style.

M: Smooth and creamy, with a good amount of carbonation. No cloying acidity (which some overly-sour krieks have).

O: A truly fantastic kriek.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

This was one of my personal whales. Pours a golden red with a light bubble, but heavy carbonation. Love the smell of light cherrys. It is very airomatic. It taste like sour cherrys, with a very light mouth feel, light carbonation, small bubbles. It is a great Kriek, and will be my everyday beer when I win the lotto.

Overall on of my all time favs. This beer was great. I really hope to get my hands on another on and let it sit in the celler for a few year to see how it changes.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

a - dark ruby red. purple mainly pink head, or the little that there is. the one thing i love about cantillon is the look and this one certainly doesnt let you down.

s - totally raunchy funky gueze-esk stank. like an old mans armpit in the best possible way. the fruit is there, but definitely is fallin off a bit.

t - way sour and funky like most cantillons ive had. absolutely delicious. grapefruit and cranberry bitterness but definitely a lot of sweet cherry. it seems to be fading off. slighty perfumy on the back of the throat.

m - very alive. like apple/pear cider or cranberry cider. a pretty high carbonation level surprisingly. very mouthwatering just thinking about it.

o - tops. totally tops. i want more!! i guess trading is my best bet at this point..

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to Naptown25rs for this one. 2007 bottle, poured into a Stone IRS snifter.

A - Pours a deep red, with a big fluffy white head. A slight haze, but not much... looks awesome.

S - Definitely cherries first, followed by some serious Cantillon funk, earthy barnyard, definitely going to be tart, and also some slight wine character.

T - Not quite as sour as I thought it might be, but definitely tart. Sour cherries dominate, with some always solid Cantillon lambic to back it up. This lambic had some flavor that I couldn't quite put my finger on the whole time, but it seemed very familiar to me. Perhaps a combination of the schaerbeek cherries, the sweet liquor, and the wine barrel. The combination of those flavors made this one of the best sours I've had. Great stuff.

M - Bubbly, puckering, dry, all things that make lambic great.

O - One of the best sours I've had the privilege of having. Had this directly following the standard Cantillon Gueuze and it stood well above. Something about this kriek gave it a very unique aspect that I haven't seen in other fruit lambics. I hope I can get a hold of another one these...

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

2007 vintage, courtesy of Darrell.

This lambic pours a stunningly gorgeous, brilliant ruby color with a beautiful off white head reminiscent of sea foam. No lacing left in the wake, as to be expected, given the style.

The aroma is fantastic. Cherry pie jumps out at you if you get your nose anywhere in the vicinity of the bottle. Classic Cantillon barnyard funk along with hay, straw, wild yeast give the beer a very inviting scent.

The taste is even better than I remember from the previous occasion I drank this beer in 2007. All aspects of the flavor are spot on. The sourness in relation to fresh fruit ratio couldn't be better. This beer has incredible depth and complexity, and is just phenomenal. It is obvious why this barrel was specifically chosen to be a Lou Pepe.

The feel is incredibly smooth, with a great lingering aftertaste that continues to develop long after each sip.

On a night with many great beers on the table, this was without a doubt the highlight of the evening for me. This is one of my all-time favorite beers.

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Had a bottle of the '07 (bottled in '09) last night for my sour tasting; aged almost exactly 10 months in the bottle

A - Deep, yet vibrant red coloring with a similar head

S - Amazing, complex cherry notes that just leap out at you. Upon deep inhalations, I get some wheatiness

T - World class. Sweet on the tongue to start with a slightly sour finish. I will compare all krieks from this point onward to the Lou Pepe

M - A gentle swirl elicits a wave of feeling starting with a slight tingle on the tongue moving backward and into the cheeks. However, after swallowing the sensation moves back upward to the front of the mouth....amazing

D - I could be happy drinking little else for the rest of my days

4.85/5  rDev +8.5%

I'll have to check but I believe it was a 2007 bottle. Beer is red and forms a pink head of medium bubbles. No lacing really, carbonation is high and made of small bubbles that rise through the beer quickly.

Aroma is wonderful. Not as much cherry as the 100% but still pretty good. Classic Cantillon sour aroma with great lactic and slight acetic notes.

Taste is surprisingly smooth with only subtle cherry flavors. I tried this immediately after the 100% Kriek and if I were to do it again I would reverse the order. The tartness is nice and the lactic character highlights a nice cherry flavor. I wanted it to be stronger overall but this was amazing. I can't wait to try my 2005. Yum.

I've had this again and my reviews were way way too low for this beer. This is probably one of the best sours out there, hands down.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had at Allagash WFC- the perfect sour. Color is beautiful, taste is sublime. I would seriously give anything for just another pour. This was a peak beer experience for me and I sincerely look forward to more.

4.87/5  rDev +8.9%

750mL corked and capped bottle poured into a tulip. 2007 vintage; bottled August 21, 2009.

(A)- Pours a beautiful deep dark ruby red hue that produced a good pink colored head that dissipated to a light layer of foam; some lacing here and there.

(S)- A dry yet fruity tart cherry aroma with a little bit of hay funk. Very dry, yet fruity tart raspberries in the background too. Great; beautiful aroma of tart fruits and dry funk. Lovely.

(T)- A great tart/ sourness of cherries in the forefront. Finishes in a great dry hay funk yet remains smooth with the ever present tart/sourness. A joy of flavors.

(M)- A great; lively carbonation level that lightly fizzes on the tongue. A great sourness that is diverse with the tart fruits at the same time. A light yet present hay/funk dryness throughout the range of the beer too. Pretty much an all around joy/orgasm/party to drink.

(D)- A fantasticly beautiful lambic. Tart and sour with a great fruit profile. Has a great acidity to it that combines well with everything else. The pinnacle of the style in all areas. I could easily have a whole bottle to myself no problem.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Re-review of another batch. 2012 vintage into Cantillon balloon stem.

Appearance is a gorgeous, deep cherry red bordering on marroon. Or maybe it's past red and in purple/marroon territory. I mean it's deep. Lovely two finger pink head builds and holds well before settling to a nice froth layer. One of those beautiful beers to look at.

The aroma is also about as perfect as can be for a Kriek/Cherry sour. Tons of earthy cherry juice, pit, skin. A host of funky notes with horse blanket and damp earth predominating. I love krieks that show some funk through all the fruit. But you also have some oak, vanilla, and burgundy wine complimenting the cherry and funk.

The taste is, well phenomenal. I think I popped this baby right on time. The finest tasting LPK I've had to date. Like the aroma, this is so freakin balanced between Cherry, barrel, and funk. And the acidity has not even begun to accelerate so it's maintained that high drinkability of fresh LPK. Everything cherry is in this, juice, earthy pit, tart skin, and a touch of Cherry jam. The funk is cleaner on the palate than on the nose but offers up musky cave and a little minty leafiness. Oak is soft and red wine is fruity with medium tannic level. Acidity is low still and that's how I personally like it.

Mouthfeel is light, fluffy, and almost silky. I love the fact this doesn't sport a high carbonation level as it sometimes spoils the lambic experience. Despite the sweet cherry flavor characteristics this is invitingly dry and tart from front of the tongue to back.

Like in most cases with Cantillon, quite amazing. I've grown a soft spot for Krieks over the years and this proves that they too can blow me away. I am usually more fond of framboise so now is the time to crack a LPF to see how it compares to this Kriek. If you have any 2012 vintage (10' sticker) Lou Pepe Kreik, it's drinking amazing right now. Unless you prefer bracingly sour beer, it probably can't get better than this at this point. Or who knows with the endless possibilities of aged Cantillon :).

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

2007 vintage, bottled Aug 2009 and poured into Cantillon tulip.
Immediate deep pink head of foam on first pour which soon settled down to a ring of lace.
I drank this young as I enjoy the notably higher fruit profile of the younger Cantillon lambics (as I had done with the 2009 Fou Foune and Blabaer and Zwanze... all delightful)

The sour cherry flavour of this master-kriek almost has a creaminess to it which is wonderful and sets it apart from the regular kriek, although there is additionally a light spritzy mouthfeel which just adds to the drinkability. This did not seem mouth puckeringly sour to me, but I am sure most of my friends would still be wincing, even though I'd insist that the lambic sourness did not dominate the fruitiness.

Drinakbility ... ridiculously high... like all the Cantillon's I have tasted. I am looking forward to my next visit to rue Gheude!

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

750 bottle at Parker pie. 2012 vintage.

Simply phenomenal. Beautiful red color. Cherry tartness without being mouth puckering.

Amazing cherry aroma and flavor, not overly sweet.

A great great beer.

4.88/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours bright red with almost no head. The color is so vibrant that it looks artificial, though obviously it's all-natural. Aromas of tart cherries dominate with almost no perceptible funk at all, which is surprising. Taking a first sip... wow, just wow. It's nowhere near as tart as it smells. The umami taste that cherries have (but are muted by the natural sweetness) shines through in this brew. The mouthfeel is simply luxurious: imagine the sensation of chewing cherries but somehow the experience is distilled into liquid form. I could drink this beer all day, any day.

Krieks are near the top of my favorite styles of beer. And while I've been lucky to enjoy many stellar offerings, Cantillon's Lou Pepe has surpassed them all. World Class!

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

On tap at The Trappist. Fresh batch.

Vibrant black cherry red with a short-lived pink head. The nose is all cherry pie filling, sweet and sour, incredibly multi-dimensional and complex. Sour, sweet and earthy with flesh and skin and pit. Tastes ridiculously good, cherries at the forefront exhibiting ripe juicy sweetness, tannic skin and earthy pit. Moderate lactic sourness backs the fruit, it's not full-on sour by any stretch, more of a balanced presence. Funk is mild, buried beneath the fruit. This is just an astoundingly good beer on tap, a true session lambic.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

2008 vintage had on-tap at ChurchKey. Practically sprinted to the tap when I saw it was offered. After trying the standard Cantillon Kriek for the first time, it instantly joined my nebulous top-five-of-all-time-that's-probably-more-like-15-or-20... So I knew that the beer that was three years its senior and probably more complex from the get-go likely wouldn't disappoint.

Well, it was probably one of the best beers I've ever had. No question. Take the standard Cantillon Kriek, add some sweet spices, tone down the yeast activity and grow it three years in the tooth, and here you are. I usually think of BFM's tea-brewed beers when using words like subtle, understated, and complex, but this beer takes that delicacy and may leave BFM's best in the dust.

It's an opaque, ruby red with a shocking amount of carbonation considering the complete lack of head. Cherry funk, barnhouse flowers, and a raw, boozy citrus that seems to magically dissipate the longer it stays in your mouth. There's no really great way to describe this beer; it's pretty much sublime, so go out and grab one when you can.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

"2001" on the neck -- "bottled in 2.003" on the cork.
I've never had a berry beer that was this darkly colored. The top is shocking pink too.
The aromas are almost unbearable. Penetrating roomfulls of cherry pulp, cherry sap, skins, seeds and flesh characterise another savory bouquet from this house. That's it : this is wine -- not "beer." Mouthcoating with globs of dry, fruit essences and succulent mousse, there is a paint-like permanence to the flavors. It's like a Cornas from August Clape : sappy, full of energy and yet still immovably dense.
Sucked through clenched teeth and chewed on, it gives velvety rich texture and briny, stewpot succulence.
The finish is quite long and drenched with satisfying acidity.

4.9/5  rDev +9.6%

750 ml bottle. 2009 Vintage. Pours a clear dark pink with a light pink head that settles fairly quickly and leaves some light lacing on the glass. This is definitely one of my favorite looking beers. The aroma is huge cherry, pie crust, some hay, funkiness, and some lactic acid. The cherry is phenomenal. The taste has an initial light cherry sweetness and lots of of lactic twang. There is also funkiness, hay, and pie crust. Finish is fairly tart with lactic and tons of cherry. Medium-full bodied. Slightly creamy mouthfeel. Medium-low carbonation. Just an amazing beer. The amount of cherry is overwhelming. This is definitely the best fruit lambic that I have had.

Draft at the Trappist. 2008 Vintage. Pours a darkish read with a two finger pink head with good retention that leaves a small amount of lacing on the glass. Just beautiful. Aroma is huge cherry. Smells like a cherry pie. Typical Cantillon funk, but just a background note as the cherries are front and center here. The initial taste is sweet, juicy cherry. Tart, but certainly not overly sour. Perfect balance to the fruit. A little bit of the barnyard funk, but again just a background note behind the fruit. Nice tart finish. Almost no astringency. Medium body. Medium carbonation. I enjoyed this when I had a bottle, but on tap it is phenomenal. Easily one of the best beers I have over had. If this were available regularly I would be ecstatic, but my wallet probably would not.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Cantillon Lou Pepe Kriek 2007 (bottled 2009)

Pulled from the fridge, opened, and allowed to breath for twenty minutes before pouring. Pours a medium hazed cranberry with a short lived bright pink head. Certainly looks like a 'girlie' beer, but that's fine. Leaves a small pink ring and miniscule specs of lace. Very pretty beer for sure.

Nose is sweet malt, dry oak, sweet/sour cherries, vinegar, candied citrus, lemon, cherry gummy candies, faint funk, a small touch of old leather. Strangely clean and soft for a Cantillon Lambic. Some horse as it warms. Very inviting.

Mmmm. The palette is spot on to the nose. Cherry candies, tart cranberries, black pepper, lemon acidity, cider, balsamic vinegar. A biting sourness on the finish that balances out the dry oak and cherry sweetness. A real light funky note, some barnyard at the end. So many different things going on, it's hard to pick out everything.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly thicker than expected. Most Lambics I've had are quite dry and borderline astringent, but this has what seems to be a bit of residual fruit sugar. Not heavy by any means, but not the typical bone-dry thing that this style is known for. A heavy carbonation keeps it lively and breaks up the medium body. As it warms it seems to dry (the oak) in the mouth a bit more, bringing it more in line with other Lambics.

Obviously a beer to be appreciated over the course of an hour or so, allowing all the nuance and depth come through with warmth and air exposure. This is surprisingly easy to drink though, as this style (and particular brewery) is known as a hard to approach and oft misunderstood tipple. I wish I had this all the time, it's like a delicious sour cherry candy, which just happens to be an all time favorite of mine. And thus far, this is my favorite beer to come from the Lembeek region of Belgium. Oh, and the bottle and label are the usual high quality Cantillon affair. Of course.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

Once again I have to give a HUGE thanks to sweemzander for tossing this one in the mix while hanging out last weekend. You are a fucking certified bas ass in my book.

2007 vintage poured into my tulip. The beer is deep strawberry red with a finger of bright pink head that fades leaving a small soapy lace ring.

The aroma is INSANE! Tart cherries with a bit of spice and vanilla. Sour funk is mild but enough to let you know it's present. This reminds me so much of a slice of cherry pie.

The flavor is just as awesome as the nose. Sour yet smooth cherries. The barrel wood is very subtle yet adds to the complexity. A bit of spice and vanilla along with just a hint of funk. Absolute perfection.

Medium to light creamy body. A solid amount of carbonation.

Overall one of the finest beers I've had the chance to try. If not for the price tag I would seriously drink this non stop. Thanks so much for sharing this with me sweem.

4.92/5  rDev +10.1%

2010 vintage poured into a snifter glass at Cantillon.
It pours a wonderful pink cold with a white head. The head quickly turns to lace which vanishes quickly.
It smells of deep barnyard funk, with a light cherry smell.
Initially you get a much subtle taste of the barnyard funk followed by the cherries as you drink this beer. There is a delicate balance kept between the funk and the cherries, a lesser brewery would have failed, but this succeeds.
There is a light carbonation, which allows this beer to go down smooth.
Overall, this is a fantastic beer, and worth the money on.

4.93/5  rDev +10.3%

Wow! A lot of fruit in this one! Cherries all over the place. Great sweet and sour beer that is so well-balanced and silky smooth. Best one I had on my trip!

Cantillon Lou Pepe - Kriek from Brasserie Cantillon