Join our email list →

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 496 | Hads: 2,570
4.79/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Did a side by side between a '14 and '15: A: Both are a golden, orangey color with a little ring of head. S: For the '15, it was all fruit. So much apricot and some funk...damn great. The '14 was a little less apricot and more funk...some vinegar smell as well. T: The same as the smell really, a bunch of fruit and that typical Cantillon funk...both just gorgeous. M: Medium to full, a little stinging carb. All around solid for a lambic. O: I loved both of these beers, I prefer the fresher to the aged, whereas others in the group liked the aged, it was just amazing. A true joy of an experience

4.47/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a bottle into St Somewhere tasting glass. Bottle was generously shared by Bob Sylvester at his brewery.

Funky, interesting Loon-y aroma, perfect carb, mouthfeel, color. Taste was sharply sour. Less apricot than I expected, and much more sour. But definitely wonderful.

2014, drunk sept. 2015. Teku
Firm lactic sourness, no vinegar, underripe apricot, and the signature musty cellar funk that is the trademark of Jean van Roy's blends.
Golden color, short lived head, typical as far as sours go
Very quenching overall, paired well with salmon. Acidity higher than Boon's Geuze and less harsh than Hanssens

4.78/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

FINALLY got to try this guy. Poured from bottle to flute.

A- Beautiful, hazy orange the seems to radiate outward.
S- Tart and funky apricot skins. Some underlying sweetness. Barnish.
T- Wow. This definitely lived up to the hype for me. One of the greatest sours I have had. The funk doesn't mask the fruit but complements it.
M- Very smooth with some nice carbonation.
D- Dear Lord this was amazing. Hopefully I can snag a bottle in the future.

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

2015 vintage poured into a snifter

L - thick white head from the carbonation...a little cloudy

S - best smell of this type i've had...major fruity tart in the smell and some funk...minimal bready yeast stmell which usually is overpowering...a little grassy lemon too

T - acidic, sour apricot and stone fruit...really well balanced with some but not too much funk

F - smooth, flavors linger, and easy to drink

O - top of its class...worthy of the hype will seek this out again

4.96/5  rDev +9.7%

2011 vintage next to the 2015. Wow, remarkable differences. The 2011 was beautifully funky and still had a lot of fruit. The 2015 was indeed tasting young, mostly fruit and brett. ISO old Fou :)!

Started the year off right with my first ever Cantillon. Fou demolished my already high expectations.

A - Pretty orange hue, thick dense white head.
S - WOW, slight funk but huge fruity presence.
T - WOW AGAIN, I have been building up my cellar and my palette trying the very best I could excluding Cantillon so I would truly appreciate awesomeness when it happened. Well it did.
M - Honestly I have to admit that the mouthfeel of this beer and what I would imagine all other Cantillon taste like, may be the best part about this beer. Smooth creamy full.
Overall - I debated for a good two days before the new year whether I wanted to crack this open or save it, glad I opened it to enjoy the creamy fruity deliciousness.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

'15 from the bottle. Pours like peach juice with half finger off-white head. Smells of oak barrel and apricot. Taste is much the same. Apricot and fruity tart. Finishes with a wine oak. Feel is like a mimosa. A thicker juice with a strong but not overbearing carbonation.

4.94/5  rDev +9.3%

a rating below 4.5 in any category means that you should either not be drinking this stuff or you aged it for way too long.
drinking a 2015 release. picked it up in November. stored in my cellar for the month. served at cellar temp.
perfect laced head well after the pour. great head upon pour. looks like liquid gold. sensational.
nose is pure lambic with a hint of cat piss and mango.
taste: as others said, not an apricot bomb, which is what makes this amazing. the lambic blends with apricot perfectly both on the front and the back of the tongue. you can taste them separately or together. it pairs so well. on the tart scale, it's high up there.
i wouldn't age this at all. it is perfect as it is now.

4.6/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the beer that got me into the sour game. Excellent representation of this style. Had it at zwanze day at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester MA. Would def love to get again if given the chance.

4.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There are better reviews, but here we go. I had this 3 times at the brewery over the course of two days. 750ml bottle served in a lambic basket into their stemmed tasting glasses. It looks incredible, with the first pour being (of course) more clear than the last. With that said, there are still good clouds from the first to last pour. A good amount of head, one of the most out of the Cantillon's I had over the weekend. Almost an inch with a rigorous pour. Smell is of classic Cantillon lambic/gueze with just a hint of apricots. I don't get as much fruit as other people did. It's way more hidden than Framboise or Kriek. Great taste, with hints of apricot. In my opinion, not an apricot bomb whatsoever. Which is nice. Very balanced between funk, sourness, and fruit. Mouthfeel is great again, light with perfect carbonation. Obviously I recommend this, but I preferred LPF over this one. Two different beers that I am incredibly fortunate I had the opportunity to try.

4.25/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Either this beer is a bit hyped, or the 2015 is weaker than the rest. I expected more apricot in the nose, as well as the taste. It is a well made lambic, no doubt about it, but not much fruit going on.

4.92/5  rDev +8.8%

Fresh bottle (August 2015)

Pours crisp pale orange with slight haze. Huge stone fruit on nose with a touch of brett funk. Tons of apricot on the palate, with a soft acid bite and a subtle funk undertone. Fantastic beer. just wow

4.52/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A definite want for a long time...Thanks to @byronic for the hookup.

Pours a not quite cloudy but not clear peach color with a very minimal head that disappeared quickly. The nose picked up the tart right away, and on the back end you could get the apricot. There was also earthy tones present, such as grass and a tiny bit of funk. The taste was sour/acidic right up front and then you get unripe apricot, with the sweetness of the apricot following much later on the very back end of the palate. Feel is medium with a prickly carbonation.

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. My third Cantillon, and definitely the one I have enjoyed the most to date. The finish is fantastic and it is an easy to drink beer.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From tasting notes when I had this on draft. Pours a hazy yellow, orange color without much head at all. The aroma is bright stone fruit and lemon. Not getting the funk I expected. Taste is bright, tart lemon with apricots, more earthy than funky. Mouth feel is medium bodied and crisp making this very drinkable. It still needs time to develop some more complexity, but still excellent.

4.43/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got me some of this at the brewery...Sep 2015 release. Poured a very hazy golden orange. Small head that was gone without a trace quite quickly. Nose was a little lighter in funk than I'm used to with Cantillon, so I may upgrade this as the beer ages. Nice clean fresh and tart fruit comes through clearly. Seems more lemon than apricot. Flavor is again not as sharp or sour as I expected. Fruit comes through nicely, but not overly fruity. More apricot, but still some lemon. Bright. I have a few more bottles, so I'll be looking at this again over time.

4.77/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Few months ago I visited Cantillon brewery and took a bottle of Fou'Foune home. The whole brewery had a strong sour smell, so I knew I was about to taste a slightly different beer (from what I am used to).

The packaging looks great. I would, without a doubt be extremely happy if I received it as a gift - it looks much better than any wine bottle I've ever seen.

The yellowish and highly carbonated liquid smelled fantastic. The taste was excellent - refreshing and prickly. My wife found it too sour (she is used to Lindeman's and similar sugary treats), but I found it just perfect.

4.56/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me a sour Magic Hat #9... Just kidding. Had it on tap at Armsby Abbey, in Worcester, MA for Zwanze Day. Very well balanced for the style. Apricot flavors abound, and sour notes dance on the tastebuds without taking over like many in this style do. Just the right amount of funk.

2011 bottle. Drank the entire thing myself. Actually the wife had a little bit but not much. Smells great. A little like powdered lemonade. Looks beautiful. The color of apricots. Fizzy head at first dissipates quickly. Taste is astounding. Not overly sour at all. Very drinkable. It has lost some
Of the apricot I imagine but who cares. The best beer of its style
That I've ever had. Had my own little Zwanze day over here

On tap at Monk's on Zwanze day with the JJ. The most subtle delicious sour I've ever had. No punch you in the face sour patch kids here. Had multiple other cantillon in addition to pliny the elder on tap. Amazing birthday weekend.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 and 2012 side by side in taster glasses
L: beautiful hazy Apricot, head dissipates quickly but a thin layer stays on the 2012
S: fresh and dried apricots. A little funk
T: same as the nose. nice tartness, more so in the 2012. 2011 has more dried Apricot.
F: body from the sweetness, tartness.
O: excellent. Prefer the 2011, but only slightly.

4.5/5  rDev -0.4%

2011 at a bottle share. My first time having Fou Foune and it definitely lives up to its reputation. Nice and tart, but not overly sour. Really nice and among the best I've had from Cantillon.

4.73/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful peach/light orange pour with the perfect amount of fizzy carb. Tiny bubbles enhance the view. The smell is lemon, hay, unripe fruit. The taste pretty much mirrors that. It's like a firm, slightly unripe apricot. You get the tartness of the skin and the bright burst of the flesh. Very impressive beer. Light enough and restrained enough to enjoy an entire bottle when celebrating the birth of your second daughter.

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out it's a beautiful orange. I got a little of the latex glove thing going. Not the cantillon funk that i'm used to. Not packed with appricots like something from sideproject.

4.67/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014'

poured a hazy peach color with two fingers of head. smell of stone fruit- apricots, peach followed by a sour funk.

flavor followed the nose, with a sour apricot flavor that lingers. One of my fav fruited lambics

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon