Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Apricot Lambic
Ratings: 2,352 | Reviews: 485
Reviews by 99bottles:
4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

I've had this more than a few times at Monk's and I must say I enjoy it each and every time. Although the kreik is more robust, and stands to lend more flavor, this is still a real treat. The beer is a murky yellow tan color with high carbonation and no head. The smell is unmistakeably Cantillon; as the lambic base and its sharp acidity sting the nostrils. Once sipped, the fresh apricot flavor comes through, but when paired with the lambic it falls a bit flat, and really can't hold its own. I like the weeds, the musty flavor imparted by the Brett, even the way in which the fruit lends a slight sweetness and a bit of a foil to the uncompromising sourness. Make no mistake, this aint some US fruit beer. This is unabashedly raw and I love it. A great one to try.

I wish it were winter so we could freeze it into ice blocks and skate on it and melt it in the spring time and drink it!

1.52/5  rDev -67.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Bought this for my 5yr anniversary... Honestly I thought this was champagne. Worst night ever, I ended up cheating on my wife with a midget.

'13 tastes like a moldy, juice-soaked carpet, but '12 and '14 are on point. DON'T AGE THIS BEER. Your enamel will thank you

Big thanks to huskermike for the trade on this one - definitely one of my top "wants" and I couldn't be more excited to finally try it. Shared with Mike as part of our mini sour tasting. Fou Foune pours a cloudy and slightly rustic, sunburst shade of amber. The foamy white cap sits generously at two fingers; big and bubbly, leaving a little bit of lacing along the sides of the glass.

The intense aroma of Fou' Foune starts infiltrating my nostrils as soon as the cork gets popped. Bringing the glass close to my face just launches me into complete beer nirvana. Holy fuckin' smokes. Crazy amounts of tart, sour, and funk just completely obliterate my sense of smell for moments at a time - peaches, apricots, apple skins, light lemons... The fruits just unleash their inner tartness and send my brain into a frenzy.

Fou' Foune is so deliciously sour and tart, juicy and fresh, clean and inviting, it's unbelievable. Funk is no stranger either, with heavy amounts of barnyard, hay, and cellar funk clashing so elegantly with the fruit. Acidic all the way, with some milder vinous and vinegar notes hidden amongst the ruckus. The smell is simply mind-blowing, and it left me smelling the empty bottle, long after the night was over.

I just kept hoping that such a beautiful aroma was a promissory note for how amazing the beer was going to taste. Sometimes the aroma can build up your expectations, only to be let down once the liquid washes over your palate. So I take my first sip, and any expectations I had were just annihilated - completely blown out and blown up. If there really was a "nectar of the gods," it was Fou' Foune.

My tongue is met immediately with a gorgeous bouquet of peaches, apples, apricots, and white grapes. Fruits so fresh, ripe, juicy, and tart, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Start to finish, the sourness lasts and keeps your saliva glands pumping, but the tartness is controlled so perfectly and elegantly as to keep the beer drinkable without turning astringent. How is this possible?

Fou Foune offers an incredible stinging of the senses, and I mean that in the best way possible. The everlasting tartness is backed up with a moderate fruity sweetness that provides a good balance and only adds to the already insane drinkability. Little hints of wood, oak, and funk just pop in and out throughout the jungle of fruity goodness. Cork, hay, barnyard, funky yeast - added in seemingly perfect amounts.

More copious amounts of oak and musty cellar funk in the finish compliment the fading tartness and fruity sweetness in the most elegant way possible. Thin-medium bodied with a surprisingly large presence for a 5% ABV lambic, crisp and sharp mouth feel with a ton of carbonation. It feels nice and drinks easily enough.

My expectations for Fou' Foune were high, and they were surpassed beyond belief. This is such a masterful beer in nearly every sense of the word. Most definitely the best sour I've had to date, and possibly the best beer I've ever had, period. Fou' Foune is a masterpiece, a work of art, and a one-of-a-kind benchmark of the style. Make it your life-goal to get your hands on Fou' Foune if you haven't already.

Look- Sweet golden color that even Scrooge McDuck would approve of.

Smell- An apricot and Funk making sweet love during a slightly cool evening.

Taste- The juices from their love making! A little soured just the way he wanted it.

Feel- An apricot going down a slip n slide and into a cool pool.

Overall- What is there to say about this beer that hasn't already been said Catholic Priests? Fruity, refreshing and keep away from children.

Review (11 months of age)- 75cl bottle from August 2012- so nearly a year old- given to me as a gift from Eduardo and shared at a whale tasting last night, 7/13/2013.. poured into a Cantillon stemmed wine glass.

Wow! This beer's nose is basically a lot of acidity along with a delicious apricot fruitiness. There is a good bit of the lambic earth funk that I've come to associate with Cantillons- same kind of smell that you get when you walk into the brewery. But this is a milder funk as the apricot is very strong here.

The beer itself pours a hazy golden-orange body that is very well carbonated, with a massive >3cm head that takes a while to recede and never fully goes away. Lacing is very nice. Just what I would expect from a good Cantillon.

When this beer finds its way into my mouth, it is just so perfectly balanced in terms of the sourness, fruitiness, acidity and funk. It all comes together to create a sweet apricot accentuated with some lemon tartness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel-wise, its more or less what Cantillons bring to the table. Medium bodied, no dryness at all in the finish, sweet but not in a sugary way. The tartness is refreshing and makes for a delicious, refershing in-between beer between Bramble Rye and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

This is the best Cantillon I've had and that includes the Lou Pepes.. it's just slightly above Saint Lamvinus, which is a bit unfair as both beers are different. This one brings out the apricot which is definitely strong here like the cherries in a Lou Pepe Kriek, etc. but without the apricot being overwhelmingly sweet. It is so well-balanced and easy to drink. Incredibly refreshing and flavourful. Eduardo tells me that he considers Cantillon to be bottled art. If that is the case, Fou' Foune is a true masterpiece in a bottle and Jean Van Roy is Peter Paul Rubens. This beer is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Re-reviewed (3 months of age)
Opened up another 75cl bottle from August 2013 on 11/26/2013. So 3 months old the second time around. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass. Basically the same as the previous review (with 1 year on it), except this is definitely less acidic and the apricots come out quite a bit more, especially in the nose which is even more perfect than it was before. Phenomenal nose, one of the best smelling beers I've had. Flavour-wise, I preferred the 1-year old bottle's acidity and sourness, but I can definitely appreciate the apricots here more. And the mouthfeel is phenomenal- so well carbonated, so creamy. Reminds me of Hill Farmstead's pale ales actually. But so substantial yet drinkable and refreshing. This beer's appearance isn't as sexy and tempting as its sister beer Blabaer, but the beer is otherwise perfect in my mind.

Re-reviewed (6 months of age): 75cl bottle from August 2013, generously bought over by Dustin at our celebratory whale tasting. Cheers to good friends! Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014. Basically, the beer looks just the same as any of the other times. Smell is very apricot-forward still, but I appreciated more tartness, horseblanket funk. Best thing is that this bought out a lot of geuze-like lemon tartness, pepperiness on top of the funk in the nose. Incredible, sweet yet complex nose. Flavour is very similar- the geuze-like characteristics stand out far more than fresh. Lemon zest, pepperiness, barnyard Cantillon funk. It reminds me so much of Armand'4 Zomer. And you throw some fresh apricot juice on top of that? This merely reinforces how much I love this beer. And mouthfeel is a bit thinner and less creamier than fresh, but still very much medium bodied and refreshing. Again, the only conclusion I'll draw from this is: this is still my favorite beer ever.

Re-re-reviewed (2 months of age): 2014 vintage. Bottled 21 August 2014. Thanks Tim! Poured into a Cantillon balloon glass 10/19/2014 for our first anniversary. Essentially, I just want to re-reconfirm that fresh Fou' Foune is delicious, and this year's Fou' Foune is not lacking in apricots. The best advice I have to anyone who's opening up a bottle soon is to serve it at cellar temperature, aerate it and let it warm up a bit- the apricots truly come out as clean, crisp stone fruits in the nose that dance along your palate as you sip it. Great mouthfeel, soft, velvety but with a nice crisp, dry and thirst-quenching finish. There is no defect to be found in this beer- it is still my favorite beer after all this time, and worthy of its status.

4.91/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was just 1 of the many personal whales slain last night. Thanks frankthetank for bringingthis puppy.

2014 bottle straight from the source.

I hate reviewing what a beer looks like, but let's just say it looked awesome.

Aroma was off the charts. Quite funky but doesn't detract or take the focus off of the apricots. I let this sit in my other glass and open up while I tasted the other beers. After about 45 minutes, I started to drink it again and it had totally changed. The funk and lacto has disappeared and all that was left was juicy apricots. Absolutely amazing!

Flavor followed suit. The first few sips were sour, funky and filled with apricot juice. After it sat, however, the sourness disappeared and all that remained was straight apricot puree.

Overall, this has been my favorite Cantillon to date. Well worth the hype and so glad I didn't have to give up any beers to finally tick it off.

4.18/5  rDev -9.9%

Big bro ups to the magnificent beast that is flexabull for carting this one all the way across the pond, over my head to CA, then back to MN. I’d like to have its frequent flier miles. 750ML bottle capped & corked, split with my wife, who’s almost panting in anticipation.

The pour is pure spring sunshine in a proper Cantillon glass, with a sharknado of carbonation swirling right up the middle. The yellow fruit is still strong in the nose, though I would have guess peach instead of apricot, but whatever, with a fair amount of sharp lemon & white wine. Thoroughly enjoyable for whiffing.

Fou Foune is my kind of lambic. The fruit & sour are about 49.2% vs. 50.8%, & I can’t tell which side is which. Lovely light fruits do the bagurumba with a light acidity imparted by the wild beasties, imparting a lovely tartness on the tongue and other mouth parts. Mid-palate is that spritzy white wine again, oak on oak, lemon coming on strong. Light & summery, this is a joy on the palate, & something that I could drink for quite a long while. There simply aren’t many wild ales you can say that about.

So happy I finally had a full pour of this, after having samples at numerous tastings over the years…& I gotta say, much better fresh. Goes without saying: this is an excellent brew.

4.2/5  rDev -9.5%

A slightly cloudy pink/orange pour with a typically small head. The nose was big on tart, sour fruitiness. Huge tang up front and tartness that hits you like a cold bucket of water. Lemony notes and very big lime bitterness along with vinegar notes that make you pucker up! The fruitiness is very toned down. A pinch of apricot but burried beneath all of the acidity and tartness. Some light earthy notes and fresh grassy layers. Nice acidity although not to the degree of the gueze for example. For me this is a great beer for a starter or even a night cap. The perfect summer beer. I absolutely loved it.

4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

Sour! Apricot. Looks, smells, and tastes like an apricot. Kinda peachy too. Nice head, ample carbonation, sourness mellows as it warms and the palate becomes used to it. Spicy aromatically. Soupy and peppery. Clean. Nostrils even feel the funk. Palte burns somewhat. Lingeringly sour but it also hits the front lip. This is a serious beer. Wonderful. Served on tap during Pucker Fest at Belmont Station in Portland, OR.

4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled in 2005. Best before December 2009.

A: Very hazy orange color with a reasonably big white head that leaves plenty of lacings.

S: The smell is really acidic with lots of tart fruit notes of lemon, apricots and some green apples. Lots of funky notes as well, mostly mud and blanket. Very intense.

T: The taste is almost unbelievably sour, really mouth-puckering. Lots of acidic fruit notes, mostly of apricots and lemon. Pleasant rustic funky notes of mud and wet hey. Notes of grass and wood. The finish is bone dry, and I really mean bone dry. The beer ends with tart notes of apricots, hints of salty aged cheese, mild grassy bitterness and lingering acidity.

M: Medium body, rather sparkling carbonation.

D: I've had this beer once before, but I was still amazed over how sour it is. By far one of the most sour beers I've tried. All in all, it's a great beer - wonderful fruity character and intense rustic flavors.

4.54/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cantillon Fou Foune 2012 vintage. 750ml poured into Cantillon sherry glass. Best before August 2017 according to the label. 5% ABV.

Appearance: Pours a hazy, straw golden color. Off-white head consisting of one-finger-sized. Appears sparsely carbonated as expected.

Smell: Overripe and juicy apricots. Followed by light hints of oak and vanilla. Slight musty notes. Gentle lactic acid aroma. Finish is soft and delicate.

Taste: Smooth and gentle waves of lactic acid and acetic vinegar wash over the tastebuds. This fruited Cantillon is roughly a year old, yet still leans in favor of the sweet malts, rather than the sourness that dominates over time. The vanilla comes out a bit stronger than in the aroma, and compliments the wood-character very well. Fou Foune finishes with a bang of fresh, juicy apricot flavor that delivers on your wildest fruited-sour fantasy.

Mouthfeel: Low but prickly carbonation. The body is almost medium in character, but I'd say it's right about a low-high. The gentle carbonation allows the beers flavors to shine.

Overall: A very impressive fruit sour from Cantillon. However, since it was nearly a year old, I was not able to enjoy it fresh as the brewery highly recommends. I'm betting the fruit character is much more intense and vibrant, and I look forward to this beer being released next month. Hopefully I get another bottle, after which I will update or add on this review to reflect that.

4.11/5  rDev -11.4%

2011 Vintage

A - Pours a hazy golden orange with two fingers of white head. Head has good retention but leaves no lacing.

S - Soft apricot with light sourness. Slightly funky.

T - Subtle apricot flesh with a funky, barnyard like flavor. There is a mild tartness that is coupled with an oak and vanilla like sweetness on the finish.

M - Medium-bodied, extremely dry, and supple. Carbonation is much more active than I expected it to be.

O - Definitely a great beer but it was a little bit of a let down for me. I thought the apricot was going to stand out a lot more then it did. Still another nice offering from Cantillon and glad I finally got to try it.

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

Straight from the bottle at Cantillon, 20/5/15.
Mild acidity, apricot is present, and the lack of added sugars keeps the entire beer in a phenomenal balance.

3.89/5  rDev -16.2%

750 ml bottle brought back from honeymoon in Belgium.
Pours a peachy orange/yellow color. I've never seen a beer this color before; kind of pretty, actually.
Smell is of tangy, sour wheat with a hints of apricot and orange.
Apricot flavor is there, but not overpowering or even entirely noticeable. I wouldn't even be able to pick it out if I didn't know what it was, I bet. Overall it's a soft wheat flavor, with a lightly sweet, moderately sour, very refreshing tartness.
Amazingly drinkable, would love to have this consistently, especially in the summer.

4.67/5  rDev +0.6%

2009 vintage

Bottle poured into cantillon tulip at Moeder Lambic.
Served in a lambic basket. Classy.

A - Pours a hazy golden brown with two fingers of white head. Head has good retention but leaves no lacing.

S - Musty smell with nice apricot presence.

T - Wow, very nice tart apricot taste to start, followed by a musty earthy middle with more apricot on the finish. The tartness is very refreshing, not puckering sourness. The apricot taste here is perfect. I'm surprised there aren't more lambics made with apricot, as it is so complimentary to the earthy funk elements.

M - Medium light crisp mouthfeel with a dry clean finish.

O - Just excellent all around. Tart but not overpowering. Funky but balanced. And a great showcase for the apricots.

4, 4.5, 5, 4.5, 4.5

4.74/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very fruity! Pure apricots. So much fruit, accompanied by wooden stone qualities, fermented apricots and leathery wood. Perfectly carbonated, with a very refreshing light body. Refreshing, juicy, with a sour lemon peel infusion taste, leaving with little to no aftertaste!

4.27/5  rDev -8%

A treat to experience on tap @ Spuyten D. in Bklyn. as part of their Yeast fest of a week ago. Pours soft, cloudy tangerine, with a minimal off white head, with minor lacing. Funky, fruity nose. Moderatly sour brew with a slight nod in the flavor profile to the adertised apricots. Long lasting sour/bret notes linger and linger in the mouth. Pleasantly sour and soft. Very tasty stuff, delicate and complex on tap. World class lambic, go get some.

3.73/5  rDev -19.6%

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, poured into a Cantillon stem glass!
A: A cloudy light orange look, what a great color. Very consistent, the clouds don’t float around its extremely cloudy all over rather than in spots.
S: Sour and funky, like most cantillon lambics. It has that “Belgian” smell to it and I don’t really detect any fruit.
T: Sour all over, much more than anything else they make. Tastes somewhat like their gueuze but nothing special. Lots of carbonation in this one.
M: Sour with some apricot and peach notes on the end of the palate.
O: I’m really disappointed with this beer. I had really hoped this would be amazing as it’s impossible to find and everyone wants to try it. Really, it reminds me of their gueuze, just not as good. Certainly not bad and I’d try it again but I wouldn’t jump through the hoops that people do to try this (it’s just not worth it). B to B + range.

Excellent to see a 75 cl bottle of this bad boy on a Bruges beer menu for just a hair over 10 euro on a November visit. Convinced the wife she needed to try this vs. always getting the raspberry she loves so much.

A-Bottled 28 Aug 12, this beer pours dirty golden with a ringing of white foam with a lot of lively carbonation.
S-That typical Cantillon smell-funky. Aromas of barnyard, horseblanket, just a very subtle hint of apricot. Not as much fruit aroma as you get in the kriek or rose.
T-Very tart-the sourness definitely hits you up front. The apricots are there in the finish but as in the aroma they are quite weak, in a fresh bottle I expected more.
M-Typical Cantillon
O-Yes definitely a Cantillon beer and no doubt fans of the brewery will like this brew but for my money I think either the standard gueuze or a rose de gambrinus is just as enjoyable if you are looking for eithe a straight gueuze or a fruit lambic and don't see the hype associated with this beer...other than it is hard to get.

4.32/5  rDev -6.9%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into an acbf tasting glass. We had a mini vertical with 2001, 2006, and 2009 bottles thanks to stowehop at our recent BA meet up, it was great to try these now that they won't be made again.

Pours a very cloudy and hazy light amber color, head is very small and pale white, not much for lacing as with most Cantillons. Visually all the vintages were about the same. The nost was very fruity and funky, the the '01 being distinctly more tart.

Wow taste on this is very tart and sour, it's crazy. Even though the sour is so mouth puckering its really tasty and quite drinkable, each sip just makes you want more and more of it. Super dry finish. The '09 had the most fruit flavor as you'd expect, and the '01 was the most sour beer I've ever had, it was crazy. No way you could drink a whole bottle yourself but amazing for a tasting.

4.36/5  rDev -6%

On draft at the Tap and Mallet 1/17/12

5.5oz poured into a small wine glass

A: Sublime. A gorgeous cloudy golden orange. Starts with a two-finger head that settles to a nice cap. One of the most inviting beers I've seen.

S: Funk! Barnyard, horse blanket...all those typical descriptors.

T: Heavy brett but with more dimensions than I'm accustomed to. Moderate lactic sourness. Apricot provides just a touch of sweetness but this isn't an in-your-face fruit beer. It's more about the yeast, the tartness and the bugs.

M: Excellent. Plentiful carbonation combines with the sourness to give you the essential lambic experience.

O: I'm really glad I got to try this. I kept wanting to come back to it. Couldn't let it sit for very long between sips. If the bottled version is even better, then I'd love to get some.

4.84/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle (2011)

Thanks for sharing this, dmsohyea!

Slightly hazy dull orange and apricot in color with a thin off-white head. This leaves dots of lacing down the glass.

This is one of the most wonderfully aromatic beers I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. The aromas of fresh, juicy apricots, stinging sourness, and just a touch of funk combine for what is one of the finest smelling beers in the world. Just perfect.

The flavor is just as special as the aroma. The apricots are so vibrant and fresh it's stunning. The accompanying sourness is not at all overwhelming but completely complementary. The tangy yeast is mild but present. This stuff is perfect.

Medium mouthfeel with moderate to high carbonation.

This is my favorite Cantillon to date. I don't see how it gets better than this. Thanks again, Ian!

4.97/5  rDev +7.1%

2010 Bottle thanks to the Texas Crew from the Gang Bang BIF

A golden, hazy yellow reminiscent of the apricots that were used to make the beer, with a constant stream of tiny bubbles

Lots of ripe apricot with light funk in the nose. The perfume from the fruit is intoxicating when mixed with the sharp acidic peach, lemon and tart flavors, light metallic notes, and damp musty hay.

This is one of my favorite beers, by far the best in the Cantillon line for me. The balance of juicy fragrant fruit and expressive lambic in this beer is what other makers of fruited wild beers should strive to emulate. The best quality

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon