Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Fou' FouneCantillon Fou' Foune

Wants: 2,611
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 481 | Hads: 2,455

Big thanks to huskermike for the trade on this one - definitely one of my top "wants" and I couldn't be more excited to finally try it. Shared with Mike as part of our mini sour tasting. Fou Foune pours a cloudy and slightly rustic, sunburst shade of amber. The foamy white cap sits generously at two fingers; big and bubbly, leaving a little bit of lacing along the sides of the glass.

The intense aroma of Fou' Foune starts infiltrating my nostrils as soon as the cork gets popped. Bringing the glass close to my face just launches me into complete beer nirvana. Holy fuckin' smokes. Crazy amounts of tart, sour, and funk just completely obliterate my sense of smell for moments at a time - peaches, apricots, apple skins, light lemons... The fruits just unleash their inner tartness and send my brain into a frenzy.

Fou' Foune is so deliciously sour and tart, juicy and fresh, clean and inviting, it's unbelievable. Funk is no stranger either, with heavy amounts of barnyard, hay, and cellar funk clashing so elegantly with the fruit. Acidic all the way, with some milder vinous and vinegar notes hidden amongst the ruckus. The smell is simply mind-blowing, and it left me smelling the empty bottle, long after the night was over.

I just kept hoping that such a beautiful aroma was a promissory note for how amazing the beer was going to taste. Sometimes the aroma can build up your expectations, only to be let down once the liquid washes over your palate. So I take my first sip, and any expectations I had were just annihilated - completely blown out and blown up. If there really was a "nectar of the gods," it was Fou' Foune.

My tongue is met immediately with a gorgeous bouquet of peaches, apples, apricots, and white grapes. Fruits so fresh, ripe, juicy, and tart, you wouldn't believe it if I told you. Start to finish, the sourness lasts and keeps your saliva glands pumping, but the tartness is controlled so perfectly and elegantly as to keep the beer drinkable without turning astringent. How is this possible?

Fou Foune offers an incredible stinging of the senses, and I mean that in the best way possible. The everlasting tartness is backed up with a moderate fruity sweetness that provides a good balance and only adds to the already insane drinkability. Little hints of wood, oak, and funk just pop in and out throughout the jungle of fruity goodness. Cork, hay, barnyard, funky yeast - added in seemingly perfect amounts.

More copious amounts of oak and musty cellar funk in the finish compliment the fading tartness and fruity sweetness in the most elegant way possible. Thin-medium bodied with a surprisingly large presence for a 5% ABV lambic, crisp and sharp mouth feel with a ton of carbonation. It feels nice and drinks easily enough.

My expectations for Fou' Foune were high, and they were surpassed beyond belief. This is such a masterful beer in nearly every sense of the word. Most definitely the best sour I've had to date, and possibly the best beer I've ever had, period. Fou' Foune is a masterpiece, a work of art, and a one-of-a-kind benchmark of the style. Make it your life-goal to get your hands on Fou' Foune if you haven't already.

I am not a fan of apricots but I am a fan of sour beers and this is one that does not dissapoint. The tart feeling that you get when you sip it and then the tasty fruity flavor that envelops your mouth keeps you coming back for more. My only downfall with this is that I cannot get this all the time. It is a special treat for those beer lovers that know and appreciate a good beer when they taste one. If you ever see this beer on a list somewhere it is definetly worth a try!

2011 bottle. Thanks to liamt07 for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy orange/yellow. One finger of white head formed and receded to a thin layer.

S - Sour and funky up front with a fresh sweet apricot aroma.

T - The apricot is more prominent than in the nose and adds a nice juicy fresh fruit profile to the beer. The tartness is perfect with a nice amount of funk balancing out the fresh, sweet fruit. Perfection.

M - Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

What can I say that hasn't been said? World class! Funky apricots jammed right in your face. There's a reason this is one of the most highly sought after beers in the whole world.

This is the best, and most balanced sour I have ever had. It is just unreal. This is what a sour should be. Thanks to my buddy who was kind enough to share this bottle. If you like sours, you will fall in love with this beer. I would pay lots of money for a full case of this stuff. Just a very special beer.

Refreshing apricot! so natural and real.
Pour- light hazy orange
Smell- Apricot and wild Belgium yeast.
Taste- Fresh apricot, with a Belgium twist.
O- very dangerous beer, too darn good.

This is my first review on BA. I waited quite some time before I decided to start reviewing beer. I waited until I had a better trained pallet and understanding of beer, so enough about me lets talk about this wonderful delight known as Fou Foune. I shared a 2010 with Shades Of Gray who so graciously opened my eyes to many Cantillons. First the look of this beer was very appetizing. Its an burnt orange-ish color and leaves a very nice head, full of lacing. Smell is very fruity, definitely strong apricot notes and some funk. Taste, WOW, I'm blown away. Very tart (as to be expected). Just a perfect mesh of carbonation, tart, apricot, and some what earthy in a very good way. The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it left me wanting more. Extremely quenching to the taste buds. . Again Big thanks to Shades Of Gray.

On tap at Monk's on Zwanze day with the JJ. The most subtle delicious sour I've ever had. No punch you in the face sour patch kids here. Had multiple other cantillon in addition to pliny the elder on tap. Amazing birthday weekend.

Dated 25 August, 2011. Taking Jean van Roy's advice, I am drinking this just a little over a year old. Thanks to Don L. for getting me a bottle at the Alvinne Craft Beer Festival.

Hazy orange gold body--infused by the color of apricots. Poured into a tulip, a half inch head was produced that quickly dissipated completely.

Clean sour and sweet apricot notes, old wood and vanilla.

Bright and delightfully tart taste of fresh apricots. There is just a bit of funkiness ending with a little bitterness, probably from hops as the website says the apricots are pitted. Dry finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation, this drinks like champagne even when the foam is gone.

Terrific. One of the most delicious and most unique beers in the world. I really can't find anything to fault. Though I am sorry to have consumed my only bottle.

2011 bottle. Drank the entire thing myself. Actually the wife had a little bit but not much. Smells great. A little like powdered lemonade. Looks beautiful. The color of apricots. Fizzy head at first dissipates quickly. Taste is astounding. Not overly sour at all. Very drinkable. It has lost some
Of the apricot I imagine but who cares. The best beer of its style
That I've ever had. Had my own little Zwanze day over here

- 2014 vintage
- Off tap @ Beachwood (LBC) on 7-Nov-14
- 10 oz. pour into a wheat beer glass

Fresh apricot with perfect balance of sour and tartness. Best apricot beer and one of the best sours I've had to date.

It has been 6 or more months since I've had this...but it still haunts my memories of what great Cantillon can be. For sure this is not one to age. I've learned...I'll be drinking my next bottle days after I have it home and the sediment has settled. If you can buy it...YOU'RE DAMN LUCKY.

Well obviously this was amazing it's world class and easily sets the standard. I've had the opportunity to taste it both out of the bottle and on tap and both blow you away. Don't really need to get into details on it besides believe the hype.

Review (11 months of age)- 75cl bottle from August 2012- so nearly a year old- given to me as a gift from Eduardo and shared at a whale tasting last night, 7/13/2013.. poured into a Cantillon stemmed wine glass.

Wow! This beer's nose is basically a lot of acidity along with a delicious apricot fruitiness. There is a good bit of the lambic earth funk that I've come to associate with Cantillons- same kind of smell that you get when you walk into the brewery. But this is a milder funk as the apricot is very strong here.

The beer itself pours a hazy golden-orange body that is very well carbonated, with a massive >3cm head that takes a while to recede and never fully goes away. Lacing is very nice. Just what I would expect from a good Cantillon.

When this beer finds its way into my mouth, it is just so perfectly balanced in terms of the sourness, fruitiness, acidity and funk. It all comes together to create a sweet apricot accentuated with some lemon tartness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel-wise, its more or less what Cantillons bring to the table. Medium bodied, no dryness at all in the finish, sweet but not in a sugary way. The tartness is refreshing and makes for a delicious, refershing in-between beer between Bramble Rye and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

This is the best Cantillon I've had and that includes the Lou Pepes.. it's just slightly above Saint Lamvinus, which is a bit unfair as both beers are different. This one brings out the apricot which is definitely strong here like the cherries in a Lou Pepe Kriek, etc. but without the apricot being overwhelmingly sweet. It is so well-balanced and easy to drink. Incredibly refreshing and flavourful. Eduardo tells me that he considers Cantillon to be bottled art. If that is the case, Fou' Foune is a true masterpiece in a bottle and Jean Van Roy is Peter Paul Rubens. This beer is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Re-reviewed (3 months of age)
Opened up another 75cl bottle from August 2013 on 11/26/2013. So 3 months old the second time around. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass. Basically the same as the previous review (with 1 year on it), except this is definitely less acidic and the apricots come out quite a bit more, especially in the nose which is even more perfect than it was before. Phenomenal nose, one of the best smelling beers I've had. Flavour-wise, I preferred the 1-year old bottle's acidity and sourness, but I can definitely appreciate the apricots here more. And the mouthfeel is phenomenal- so well carbonated, so creamy. Reminds me of Hill Farmstead's pale ales actually. But so substantial yet drinkable and refreshing. This beer's appearance isn't as sexy and tempting as its sister beer Blabaer, but the beer is otherwise perfect in my mind.

Re-reviewed (6 months of age): 75cl bottle from August 2013, generously bought over by Dustin at our celebratory whale tasting. Cheers to good friends! Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014. Basically, the beer looks just the same as any of the other times. Smell is very apricot-forward still, but I appreciated more tartness, horseblanket funk. Best thing is that this bought out a lot of geuze-like lemon tartness, pepperiness on top of the funk in the nose. Incredible, sweet yet complex nose. Flavour is very similar- the geuze-like characteristics stand out far more than fresh. Lemon zest, pepperiness, barnyard Cantillon funk. It reminds me so much of Armand'4 Zomer. And you throw some fresh apricot juice on top of that? This merely reinforces how much I love this beer. And mouthfeel is a bit thinner and less creamier than fresh, but still very much medium bodied and refreshing. Again, the only conclusion I'll draw from this is: this is still my favorite beer ever.

Re-re-reviewed (2 months of age): 2014 vintage. Bottled 21 August 2014. Thanks Tim! Poured into a Cantillon balloon glass 10/19/2014 for our first anniversary. Essentially, I just want to re-reconfirm that fresh Fou' Foune is delicious, and this year's Fou' Foune is not lacking in apricots. The best advice I have to anyone who's opening up a bottle soon is to serve it at cellar temperature, aerate it and let it warm up a bit- the apricots truly come out as clean, crisp stone fruits in the nose that dance along your palate as you sip it. Great mouthfeel, soft, velvety but with a nice crisp, dry and thirst-quenching finish. There is no defect to be found in this beer- it is still my favorite beer after all this time, and worthy of its status.

2013 from 750mL bottle. What can I say? Perfect sour. Love the fruit forward flavor and thicker (for a sour) mouthfeel. Definitely need me some more of this stuff.

WOW. WOW. WOW. Right now this is my favorite beer of all time. It's right up my alley for flavor. I struggle to get peach on any other peach sour, and this one is different. There is so much peach and tartness on the finish. The carbonation and mouthfeel is perfect. 5/5 for me all day.

21 Aug 2014 - Bottle

A: Fou Foune poured with small bright white foam that quickly dissipated. Hazy golden yellow color with tiny bubbles grasping to stay on top of this beautiful beverage. Swirling gave the wine glass a slight lacing that slipped away each time. Only bringing to life the beautiful aroma of the beer. (5)

S: Big funky brett character with the classic Cantillon hay and light barnyard funk mixed with light oak. The peach and apricot fresh fruit aroma danced from the glass along with a moderately strong tartness that became more pronounced as it warms up. Complex at every turn, it seems to evolve as its being consumed. (5)

T: Bright sourness at a medium to strong level that gives way to a complex brett funky character. Hay, ripe apricot, peach and nectarine flavor - But that's just the beginning. Oak is mild and develops more with the time on the tongue. Light sweetness morphs to an acute tart mouthfeel. Fantastically Complex (5)

M: Dry finish with mild carbonation that leaves a crisp refreshing body. No harshness at all. The sourness leaves a tingling cheek sensation. While you could drink this fast - Don't - savor every drop. (5)

O: The complex classic Cantillon Lambic flavors combined with fresh apricot is a perfect match. If you're fortunate to see this beer buy it, if not trade for it. Even better travel to Belgium and have it at the Brasserie (like I did) - Nothing beats it. (5)

L: Pours a light haze, peach/apricot color. Very little head.
A: Let the beer warm up in your glass. As the beer warmed, the apricots were jumping out. Get notes of peach/apricot, little citrus, orange peel, and of course the signature Cantillon sour funk
T: Apricots, peach, tartness (not too much just a little), lots of funk, grapefruit, orange peel
M: Tartness and funk are present for a little after swallowing. And boy does that apricot flavor linger yumm...

Overall: A fantastic beer, please try it if you can. Probably my favorite apricot sour that I have tried so far. Gonna be hard to beat this one.

2013 edition into a stemmed wine glass.

A- Pours with just a slight haze after a still loud pop of the cork. A 2-3 finger, fizzy head forms and hangs around a few minutes before turning into a thin film on top of the beer. The lacing is pretty good, but temporary on the sides of the glass. The body is a vibrant, medium gold to orange in color.

S- Starts off with a slightly acidic/lactic, tart punch, but it is very mild compared to other Cantillon brews and lambics. The apricots follow up the initial tartness very quickly and still pack a strong fruity flavor in the scent. A touch of the apricot lingers after the smell, along with a touch of oak.

T- The taste profile follows the nose pretty closely here. Tart and lightly acidic flavors of the base lambic hit right up front and give a little bit of a pucker before the fruit comes in. The fruit is juicy and on the mild side, blending with the base beer very elegantly. As the beer warms in your mouth, the fruit strengthens a little bit and tastes more and more like you just bit into a fresh apricot. A light oak characteristic mixes in as the drink fades and leaves a mix of tart, dry, and fruit flavors on the tongue.

M- Not much to say here except that this beer feels like a good fruited lambic should. There is a good amount of carbonation to compliment and hold up with the sour flavor profile, but not so much as to be stinging. The body of the beer is rather light in weight, but smooth at the same time.

Overall, this is the first Cantillon that I have had live up to its insane hype. Their other beers are good, but this is delicious on a whole other level. The fruit and sourness mingle perfectly and give a balanced flavor to satisfy cravings both flavor components. My favorite part of this beer is how well the fruit stands up to the base beer and displays its flavors. Great beer!

On the hand pump at teresas next door during their sour fest. Wow! had it on draft and rated a bottle a 5 so I'm in a pickle this is better.

A- comes to me with a small cap of bright white head that settles very quickly to leave just a thin ring and a few wisps on top. A hazy heavenly gates golden yellow in color and glowing wonderfully in front of the windows.

S- hugely fruity and bracingly sour. Lots of funk but not an over powering oak. Lemon zest and juice. Bits of the barnyard but this nose is about the fruit.

T- the one two punch of juicy apricots and bold sour funk is amazing. The fruits are fresh and lush with the apricots in the lead but there's so much more to it. I'm getting loads of tropical fruits as well, mangos and pineapple come to mind. Very tart and more oak then the nose leads on to, its wet and funky just the way I like it. Malts are light and biscuity and provide an excellent back bone and a touch of sweetness to round things out.

M- less then medium in body and lightly carbed, ill say a bit more brightness to the carb then I was expecting and its wonderful. Huge pucker and this one get your juices moving in the right direction.

O- I've been blown away by this beer every time I have it. Hands down the best brew I've ever had from cantillon and one of my favorite beers ever. I can't say enough about how amazing this brew is. Get some in your body any way possible.

One of the best beers I have ever had, if not the best. Lots of funk in the nose and the flavor is an amazing blench of fruit and sour. This beer is incredible in every way!

4.99/5  rDev +10.6%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a Crooked Stave Tulip. Vintage 2012.

Appearance- Hazy apricot color with white fuzzy head that left nice lacing.

Smell- Straight apricot. Funk, apricot, lemon, yeast. Beautiful. Apricot dominates.

Taste- Apricot, yeast lemon, Cantillon funk, earthy oak. So good. Once again apricot dominates.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, medium pucker factor. Not extremely sour, but perfectly balanced.

Overall- Easily in the top 5 beers I've had. Truly outstanding. Lives up to it's hype and more.

2010 Bottle thanks to the Texas Crew from the Gang Bang BIF

A golden, hazy yellow reminiscent of the apricots that were used to make the beer, with a constant stream of tiny bubbles

Lots of ripe apricot with light funk in the nose. The perfume from the fruit is intoxicating when mixed with the sharp acidic peach, lemon and tart flavors, light metallic notes, and damp musty hay.

This is one of my favorite beers, by far the best in the Cantillon line for me. The balance of juicy fragrant fruit and expressive lambic in this beer is what other makers of fruited wild beers should strive to emulate. The best quality

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

750 ml bottle, poured into chalices. Bottled June 2006. Interesting, corked and capped bottle--nice idea for keeping metallic flavors away from the beer. When you pop the cap th beer tries to fizz out around the cork, but corkscrew required to get the cork out. Freshness likely maximized here.

Stored upright, the thick yeast later remained on the bottom of the bottle until my last pours stirred some up. Slightly hazy yellow-amber brew with tiny rim of bubbles. Really nice looking for a lambic.

Aroma is intensely infused with signature brett-wild yeast Cantillon smells that I have grown to love. Within the tangy, citrusy, horse blanket and barnyard lies a readily discernable apricot scent; well integrated, though, it doesn't stand out like an artificial smell might. You want to just inhale this all night.

On the palate the apricot is there but again subtly integrated into the gorgeously tart and crisp lambic backbone. Bone-dry as we expect from the real lambic makers; very refreshing and drinkable, complements food wonderfully...some of the best brewing art on the planet. Lowish lambic ABVs are a plus for drinakbility in my book. Stirring some yeast into the final pours intensified and added more yeasty notes...I recommend trying it. If any beer is worth more than $20/750ml, this is one. I just bought more. I want to move to Brussels.

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Bottle shared last night at Umberto's tasting. '14 vintage.

This one pours light orange, with a 1.5 inch head, and a little bit of lacing.

Smells like the freshest, ripest apricots, with some funk, oak, and a slight hint of vinegar.

This tastes like biting into a tart apricot cloud. It's so light, and heavy at the same time- huge tart apricot flavor up front, with a highly carbonated but creamy finish, big white wine barrel character, and a nice funky and earthy character, along with some mild oaky vanilla. This is fantastic.

This has an amazing light airy mouthfeel, almost like drinking a cloud, as I said above. The carbonation is high. The beer is incredibly drinkable, but you've gotta savor every sip of it.

This is the best sour I've ever had. It's a fantastic achievement.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon