2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Fou' FouneCantillon Fou' Foune

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Apricot Lambic

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,420 | Reviews: 406 | Show All Ratings:
henway

This is my first review on BA. I waited quite some time before I decided to start reviewing beer. I waited until I had a better trained pallet and understanding of beer, so enough about me lets talk about this wonderful delight known as Fou Foune. I shared a 2010 with Shades Of Gray who so graciously opened my eyes to many Cantillons. First the look of this beer was very appetizing. Its an burnt orange-ish color and leaves a very nice head, full of lacing. Smell is very fruity, definitely strong apricot notes and some funk. Taste, WOW, I'm blown away. Very tart (as to be expected). Just a perfect mesh of carbonation, tart, apricot, and some what earthy in a very good way. The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it left me wanting more. Extremely quenching to the taste buds. . Again Big thanks to Shades Of Gray.

02-04-2011 21:03:49 | More by henway
oglmcdgl

On the hand pump at teresas next door during their sour fest. Wow! had it on draft and rated a bottle a 5 so I'm in a pickle this is better.

A- comes to me with a small cap of bright white head that settles very quickly to leave just a thin ring and a few wisps on top. A hazy heavenly gates golden yellow in color and glowing wonderfully in front of the windows.

S- hugely fruity and bracingly sour. Lots of funk but not an over powering oak. Lemon zest and juice. Bits of the barnyard but this nose is about the fruit.

T- the one two punch of juicy apricots and bold sour funk is amazing. The fruits are fresh and lush with the apricots in the lead but there's so much more to it. I'm getting loads of tropical fruits as well, mangos and pineapple come to mind. Very tart and more oak then the nose leads on to, its wet and funky just the way I like it. Malts are light and biscuity and provide an excellent back bone and a touch of sweetness to round things out.

M- less then medium in body and lightly carbed, ill say a bit more brightness to the carb then I was expecting and its wonderful. Huge pucker and this one get your juices moving in the right direction.

O- I've been blown away by this beer every time I have it. Hands down the best brew I've ever had from cantillon and one of my favorite beers ever. I can't say enough about how amazing this brew is. Get some in your body any way possible.

Serving type: cask

05-21-2011 16:33:21 | More by oglmcdgl
Beerenauslese

Dated 25 August, 2011. Taking Jean van Roy's advice, I am drinking this just a little over a year old. Thanks to Don L. for getting me a bottle at the Alvinne Craft Beer Festival.

Hazy orange gold body--infused by the color of apricots. Poured into a tulip, a half inch head was produced that quickly dissipated completely.

Clean sour and sweet apricot notes, old wood and vanilla.

Bright and delightfully tart taste of fresh apricots. There is just a bit of funkiness ending with a little bitterness, probably from hops as the website says the apricots are pitted. Dry finish.

Light body with fizzy carbonation, this drinks like champagne even when the foam is gone.

Terrific. One of the most delicious and most unique beers in the world. I really can't find anything to fault. Though I am sorry to have consumed my only bottle.

11-24-2012 06:48:03 | More by Beerenauslese
Stevedore

Wisconsin

Review (11 months of age)- 75cl bottle from August 2012- so nearly a year old- given to me as a gift from Eduardo and shared at a whale tasting last night, 7/13/2013.. poured into a Cantillon stemmed wine glass.

Wow! This beer's nose is basically a lot of acidity along with a delicious apricot fruitiness. There is a good bit of the lambic earth funk that I've come to associate with Cantillons- same kind of smell that you get when you walk into the brewery. But this is a milder funk as the apricot is very strong here.

The beer itself pours a hazy golden-orange body that is very well carbonated, with a massive >3cm head that takes a while to recede and never fully goes away. Lacing is very nice. Just what I would expect from a good Cantillon.

When this beer finds its way into my mouth, it is just so perfectly balanced in terms of the sourness, fruitiness, acidity and funk. It all comes together to create a sweet apricot accentuated with some lemon tartness. Incredible.

Mouthfeel-wise, its more or less what Cantillons bring to the table. Medium bodied, no dryness at all in the finish, sweet but not in a sugary way. The tartness is refreshing and makes for a delicious, refershing in-between beer between Bramble Rye and Vanilla Bean Dark Lord.

This is the best Cantillon I've had and that includes the Lou Pepes.. it's just slightly above Saint Lamvinus, which is a bit unfair as both beers are different. This one brings out the apricot which is definitely strong here like the cherries in a Lou Pepe Kriek, etc. but without the apricot being overwhelmingly sweet. It is so well-balanced and easy to drink. Incredibly refreshing and flavourful. Eduardo tells me that he considers Cantillon to be bottled art. If that is the case, Fou' Foune is a true masterpiece in a bottle and Jean Van Roy is Peter Paul Rubens. This beer is definitely in my top 5 of all time.

Re-reviewed (3 months of age)
Opened up another 75cl bottle from August 2013 on 11/26/2013. So 3 months old the second time around. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass. Basically the same as the previous review (with 1 year on it), except this is definitely less acidic and the apricots come out quite a bit more, especially in the nose which is even more perfect than it was before. Phenomenal nose, one of the best smelling beers I've had. Flavour-wise, I preferred the 1-year old bottle's acidity and sourness, but I can definitely appreciate the apricots here more. And the mouthfeel is phenomenal- so well carbonated, so creamy. Reminds me of Hill Farmstead's pale ales actually. But so substantial yet drinkable and refreshing. This beer's appearance isn't as sexy and tempting as its sister beer Blabaer, but the beer is otherwise perfect in my mind.

Re-reviewed (6 months of age): 75cl bottle from August 2013, generously bought over by Dustin at our celebratory whale tasting. Cheers to good friends! Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass today, 3/22/2014. Basically, the beer looks just the same as any of the other times. Smell is very apricot-forward still, but I appreciated more tartness, horseblanket funk. Best thing is that this bought out a lot of geuze-like lemon tartness, pepperiness on top of the funk in the nose. Incredible, sweet yet complex nose. Flavour is very similar- the geuze-like characteristics stand out far more than fresh. Lemon zest, pepperiness, barnyard Cantillon funk. It reminds me so much of Armand'4 Zomer. And you throw some fresh apricot juice on top of that? This merely reinforces how much I love this beer. And mouthfeel is a bit thinner and less creamier than fresh, but still very much medium bodied and refreshing. Again, the only conclusions I'll draw from this are: 1) this is still my favorite beer ever, and 2) this beer is probably best between 6-12 months after bottling.

03-23-2014 06:27:05 | More by Stevedore
Kirk_Grant

Maine

It has been 6 or more months since I've had this...but it still haunts my memories of what great Cantillon can be. For sure this is not one to age. I've learned...I'll be drinking my next bottle days after I have it home and the sediment has settled. If you can buy it...YOU'RE DAMN LUCKY.

09-05-2013 03:22:20 | More by Kirk_Grant
dar482

The beer comes in a hazy golden yellow orange color with a big white head.

The aroma is of sweet sweet apricot along with oak, funk, and a balance of tartness and sweetness.

The flavor hits immediately of juicy fresh pure apricot then moves onto a gentle tartness that lingers lightly. There's a malt character that cleans that up and really makes this beer so perfect and balanced. It's a strong lemony sourness and dries of oak on the end.

This beer really stands out as the best sour I've had. It truly has fantastic balance. It's so delicious drinking with the fruit being the all star in this beer.

10-28-2013 03:54:16 | More by dar482
bcp5296d

This is the best, and most balanced sour I have ever had. It is just unreal. This is what a sour should be. Thanks to my buddy who was kind enough to share this bottle. If you like sours, you will fall in love with this beer. I would pay lots of money for a full case of this stuff. Just a very special beer.

12-02-2013 21:00:01 | More by bcp5296d
JFrenette112

Maine

I am not a fan of apricots but I am a fan of sour beers and this is one that does not dissapoint. The tart feeling that you get when you sip it and then the tasty fruity flavor that envelops your mouth keeps you coming back for more. My only downfall with this is that I cannot get this all the time. It is a special treat for those beer lovers that know and appreciate a good beer when they taste one. If you ever see this beer on a list somewhere it is definetly worth a try!

02-25-2014 03:29:00 | More by JFrenette112
Seanniek91

Rhode Island

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Served from a 750ml bottle into a Crooked Stave Tulip. Vintage 2012.

Appearance- Hazy apricot color with white fuzzy head that left nice lacing.

Smell- Straight apricot. Funk, apricot, lemon, yeast. Beautiful. Apricot dominates.

Taste- Apricot, yeast lemon, Cantillon funk, earthy oak. So good. Once again apricot dominates.

Mouthfeel- Medium carbonation, medium pucker factor. Not extremely sour, but perfectly balanced.

Overall- Easily in the top 5 beers I've had. Truly outstanding. Lives up to it's hype and more.

08-06-2013 20:04:54 | More by Seanniek91
BMart

4.99/5  rDev +7.8%

Vintage 2013, pours a hazy orange color with a little off white head. Huge apricots, citrus and slight funk on the nose. Tastes of peaches, apricots, citrus with a nice acidic sour, funk balance through out and leaves a pleasant dry tart finish. Each sip leaves me wanting more. One of my top 5 beers.

11-04-2013 15:34:14 | More by BMart
AleWatcher

4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

Cracked my 750 with some other Ba's... Served in my Ithaca tulip.

Wow is this funky. Dry and funky. Light and airy. Small sweetness and tartness.

Pale straw color with a murky appearance.

Very nice sourness. Very string funk balances with a tart and sweet fruitiness. Mmmm. This beer drinks so nice. I would happily crack this regularly.

The color and body are both light and spectacular. I love this beer.

EDIT-- I just wanted to add more thoughts on this one and up my score a bit;
So in my opinion, the beer is WAAAY too fruit-forward in the first 18-20 months.
In Jan 2012 we drank a 2005, that was one of the most sour beers I've ever had...
There's 3 things I look for in a fruit beer by Cantillon;
Fruit flavor
Sourness
Funk

Fou foune hits just about the perfect balance for me at about 2-4 years-- the fruit is present, but not overwhelming, and the age has allowed the sourness and funk levels to develop and increase.

With pardonable exaggeration, I would say Fou Foune has all the characteristics of "the perfect beer."

03-05-2011 21:47:54 | More by AleWatcher
Soonami

2010 Bottle thanks to the Texas Crew from the Gang Bang BIF

A golden, hazy yellow reminiscent of the apricots that were used to make the beer, with a constant stream of tiny bubbles

Lots of ripe apricot with light funk in the nose. The perfume from the fruit is intoxicating when mixed with the sharp acidic peach, lemon and tart flavors, light metallic notes, and damp musty hay.

This is one of my favorite beers, by far the best in the Cantillon line for me. The balance of juicy fragrant fruit and expressive lambic in this beer is what other makers of fruited wild beers should strive to emulate. The best quality

02-12-2012 18:56:18 | More by Soonami
mattsander

Alberta (Canada)

2011 Vintage

A: Cloudy apricot in color (go figure). Pinpoint bubbles with lots of effervescence at first. It glows!

S: Characteristic Cantillon acidity at first, then a gentle and refined wave of floral apricot character. A sweaty brett vibe envelopes the whole thing. Amazing and quite approachable for Cantillon. My nose was in the glass for 2 hours.

T: Huge brett barnyard basement funk, rounded and firm lactic acidity with soft apricots through the middle and finish. Finishes with trademark Cantillon 'saltiness'.

M: Impeccably dry and extremely refreshing. It required a huge effort on my part to drink this as slowly as I did. I could kill a keg of this!

O: As amazing as any Lambic (or any beer), soft and approachable for Cantillon. Masterpiece.

04-10-2012 18:06:27 | More by mattsander
larryi86

Delaware

750 mL bottle, 2012, poured into a snifter

A- A hazy golden copper color with a two finger white head.

S- Wow, apricots, barnyard funk, sour.

T- Sour! Apricots and more apricots, lemon, funky finish, touch of oak.

M- Smooth, crisp, light body, dry finish.

O- A fantastic lambic with plenty of apricot and very sour. Pricey but worth every penny, I can't wait until I get to try this again. Could be more complex, but with how fruity and sour this is it work.

12-22-2012 02:27:02 | More by larryi86
kenito799

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

750 ml bottle, poured into chalices. Bottled June 2006. Interesting, corked and capped bottle--nice idea for keeping metallic flavors away from the beer. When you pop the cap th beer tries to fizz out around the cork, but corkscrew required to get the cork out. Freshness likely maximized here.

Stored upright, the thick yeast later remained on the bottom of the bottle until my last pours stirred some up. Slightly hazy yellow-amber brew with tiny rim of bubbles. Really nice looking for a lambic.

Aroma is intensely infused with signature brett-wild yeast Cantillon smells that I have grown to love. Within the tangy, citrusy, horse blanket and barnyard lies a readily discernable apricot scent; well integrated, though, it doesn't stand out like an artificial smell might. You want to just inhale this all night.

On the palate the apricot is there but again subtly integrated into the gorgeously tart and crisp lambic backbone. Bone-dry as we expect from the real lambic makers; very refreshing and drinkable, complements food wonderfully...some of the best brewing art on the planet. Lowish lambic ABVs are a plus for drinakbility in my book. Stirring some yeast into the final pours intensified and added more yeasty notes...I recommend trying it. If any beer is worth more than $20/750ml, this is one. I just bought more. I want to move to Brussels.

01-15-2007 20:33:30 | More by kenito799
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

I picked up this fantastic 2006 vintage bottle while I was down in florida at knightleys. Served at cellar temp and poured into a snifter, this one was consumed on 03/09/2009.

The pour was fantastic looking. Rich orange and amber in color with a good amount of cloudiness and haze to it, enough that you could barely see through to the other side. Nice light puff of white on top that faded leaving only a little bit of lace on top.

The aroma was beautiful. Rich sour funkiness with huge touches of apricot mixed in. Light peppery and spice notes come through as it warms, but the sour funk was so hardcore. The flavor was puckeringly good. Rich apricot and apple vinegar sour notes are all over this one. As it warms like barrel notes, lots of spice and a long drawn out and very dry. Super drinkable and very refreshing, this was one of the best sours I have had. Worth the wait.

03-10-2009 15:57:00 | More by mikesgroove
Slatetank

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

this is one of those beers like Blåbær that I was anticipating trying some day, but when the opportunity actually presented itself I was extremely happy thanks stakem-enjoyed from a Cantillon tulip poured from a 750ml. My 1000th bottle review

The color of golden apricot with a translucent clarity and thin band of tightly compressed beads with slight lace pattern and very fine bubbles that rise slowly. The smell of floral esters and sweet fruit with a mild acidic yeast scent with the wild yeast giving off a lot of funkiness too, the apricot is mild in the nose but provides a slight fruity tangy aroma which is inviting. The mild tangy and dry combo is extremely pleasant with a fruity juiciness and moderately high carbonation provides a semi-dry overall feel with slightly puckering finish.

Fou'Foune has a totally complex amount of flavor with the apricot taste mixing sweet fruit with a tart and mild floral quality while at the same time mild spice and a woody tinge is blended in with slight lactic acidity which never seems to outdo the fruit, just augments it with a seriously intense amount of tropical notes. The apricot skin sour flavor comes out with slight lemony lactic tinges and hints of bitter tannin at times. The woody toastiness works very well alongside the floral and mild sweet flavors from the fruit. with a jammy apricot flavor the sour and complex amount of sweet tangy fruit notes linger until the last sip. The yeast at the end seems to give a more oaky quality that wasn't as evident in the first pour but even that is seriously tasty in its own way. The expectations for this beer were met and completely exceeded. A less aggressive sour than some cantillon beers but it impressed me even more with its balance. I am totally won over by this beer and the drinkability is ultra high to me.

11-13-2011 19:22:32 | More by Slatetank
stakem

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

750ml bottle, filled about 3 months prior to the day we opened this. Split with Slatetank and Kegatron during a recent wild ale tasting. Poured into a matching Cantillon long stemmed tulip, this brew appears a clear golden yellow/orange color with a frothy white head that fades. Stringy patches of lace stick to the glass. A light swirl brings up a finger of yellowish stained froth.

The smell of this brew is packed full of fresh juicy peach/apricot character that is quite reminiscent of grandma's jelly. It has almost a floral component augmenting the sweet side of the aroma. A stunning bouquet of sweet, juicy fresh fruit fills the nose. There is a mildly funky backing that comes out more as the brew warms with a little bit of oaked quality.

The taste is tart and fruity with funk and a mild woodsy character. Juicy apricots and peach flavoring reside throughout the mouth with a faint grainy backing. Even as the nose eluded, there is even a touch of floral character to the taste as well. Faintly herbal across te back with an earthy aftertaste of natural peaches/apricots and bacterial funk.

This is a light bodied brew with a modest level of carbonation. Very salivating and extremely satisfying across the board. There is no alcohol inclusion readily apparent despite the brew getting warmer than ideal during the session. I could absolutely kill this beer all day long. I would have no regrets choosing this as the only beer to drink for the rest of my life. A beautiful, perfect aroma is one of the best I have ever smelled in a beer. I strongly consider but hesitate giving this a perfect 5 rating... If a 4.99 rating were possible, that's what I'd give. I was lucky enough to have multiple draft pours of this beer 5 months ago so I knew what I was in for. Opening this bottle exceeded all expectations.

11-15-2011 19:37:35 | More by stakem
Viciousknishs

4.97/5  rDev +7.3%

A- pours a rich golden orange with a finger of white head that quickly recedes into a thin halo of bubbles.

S- perfect balance between funk and fruit. Starts out with beautiful horseblanket/goat, musty wet hay and earth. Soft yet assertive apricots and sticky fruit juice. Finish is some white tea and a hint of mint.

T- great perfect acidity and soft oak flavor up front. The gorgeous funk blends in with notes of horseblanket, goat and earthy musty wet hay. A zesty lemon and mint sits inbetween the funk and fruit. On the finish you get dried apricots, juicy apricot fruit and a lingering earthy brett.

MF- Lucious smooth mouthfeel with a tartness intertwined.

D- incredible drinkability.

Overall a worldclass beer. One of my favorites!

12-03-2011 00:49:50 | More by Viciousknishs
AlexFields

Tennessee

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle of 2010 vintage, poured in July of 2011.

Hazy light yellowish wheat appearance, like a wheat beer or light gueuze maybe. Or maybe the color of apricots but a little lighter. The lighting was poor when I poured this one so don't trust my comments here too much.

Smells wonderful. A blast of super sweet apricots. Sourness is barely detectable beneath the overpowering apricot aroma.

Taste does not follow from the nose exactly as this one is definitely very sour. The amazing apricot flavor is there as well. Very acidic but also sweet and extremely fruity. Maybe not quite as sour as its reputation would have you believe (the Lou Pepe Framboise we opened the same night was at least as sour if not more so, and the regular Cantillon Kriek is more sour than either to my taste) but still very sour and very, very delicious.

This beer is just insanely good, the fruit and sour flavors are both world class and coexist perfectly, you couldn't ask for more from a lambic.

10/10

07-07-2011 17:16:50 | More by AlexFields
cfrances33

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

2011 bottle shared by bstyle, poured into a Hill Farmstead stem.

Pour: Hazy golden orange, with a nice two finger fizzy head. Head dissipates rather quickly, and doesn’t leave much lacing.

Smell: Wow. Sweet apricots and pear up front, with a nice funk throughout. If something can smell sour on the nose… this does, with a nice lactic aspect. Again, wow.

Taste: WOW. High apricots and apricot skin, tart pear, lemon zest, and a slight peach skin right off the bat, followed by a beautiful funk. Amazing lactic sourness throughout. A slight oakeyness helps this beer finish dry, but the tartness lingers.

Mouthfeel: Great prickly sourness mingles with really nice carbonation. Acetic, but in a great way. Awesome dryness on the finish. Perfect.

Overall: This beer is flawless. That is all.

11-22-2012 18:08:52 | More by cfrances33
brianmandell

750 ml bottled 8/30/13

Hazy golden color - hard to judge in the dim bar lights. Retains a ring of lacing on the glass.

Smells of fresh, sweet apricot and lemon, musty earth; sour

Taste is layered; fresh, juicy apricot, a bright lemony zing, moderate earthy funk. Fairly sour with only a touch of vinegar. The finish is long...the apricot keeps going ending in a very dry, slightly tannic and bitter end note. The apricot is integral; it adds so much but it never overshadows the underlying complexities of the lambic.

Mouthfeel is creamy; fairly active carbonation.

Overall: Incredible. This beer has so much to offer but so easy to drink. It's an intense sensory experience but has many subtleties to explore. One of the best beers I've had. Extremely expensive to order at a restaurant in NYC but worth every penny.

02-19-2014 00:03:04 | More by brianmandell
jjdc

District of Columbia

4.96/5  rDev +7.1%

Lovely radiant yellow, like liquid sunshine. The nose is sweet, astringent and a touch funky. The apricots give it a huge citrus sweetness that is nicely balanced with a pithy bitterness. It rounds off to a nice pucker, which makes it totally refreshing. This lives up to the hype.

02-26-2014 21:55:33 | More by jjdc
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C. Served side by side with St.-Gilloise. Review from notes.

A: Fou' Foune is a hazy yellow color. There is 1/4 inch head that fades pretty rapidly, leaving no lace.

S: The aroma is incredible, with scents of a farm, barnyard, apricots, straw.

T: The beer tastes phenomenal. It's extremely tart. Extremely tart, I said. The flavor is bold and aggressive, with apricots and sour funk causing my cheeks to pucker in delight.

M: Upon completion of my second glass, I was really feeling the finish. I felt akin to a boxer that got hit with a lot of body shots over the course of a bout. The acetic finish grows stronger with every ounce. I...can't...stop...

D: It's truly sad that this beer will no longer be brewed.

***

A: Hazy yellow, small head and no lace.

S: Straw, hay, the great outdoors, farms, apricots. Ah, Cantillon has the most incredible aromas...

T: Extremely sour, even for Cantillon. My mouth puckers in delight. A beautiful and natural taste of apricots and barnyard funk.

M: Very tart with an acetic finish.

D: Delicious beer. Great for sharing a few ways.

Reviewed on: 04-04-2010

08-02-2010 05:55:24 | More by Huhzubendah
illidurit

4.95/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle shared at the September 2012 Santa Cruz tasting. Pours cloudy orange with an off-white head. Aromas of juicy fresh apricots with vinous grapey chardonnay accents. Tart apricot flavor, very vivid and fruity and fresh, lemonhead candy, damp oak, pixie stix. Words cannot describe. Sooo good.

09-10-2012 04:32:41 | More by illidurit