Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,133
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Apricot Lambic

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
BlackHoleBrew42

01-01-2014 02:11:52 | More by His_Royal_Hoppiness
porkinator

01-14-2012 07:15:06 | More by porkinator
hero27

Shared the huge bottle with a few friends. 2004 date on it. Picked up three different Cantillon brews at John's Grocery in Iowa City, and thought I'd give this one a try first.

The pour and look of this beer is decidedly awful. Fizzy head is gone in an instant, no doubt because nothing would want to stay sitting on something that smells like this...
Is that taste supposed to be apricots? Because it doesn't taste anything like any apricots I've ever tasted..it tastes like rotten, sour...i dunno..something not good. It's also as acidic as any beer I've had. I'm sorry, I'll probably get flak for writing such a bad review of a beer that's rated rather highly, but this thing certainly did not impress me in any category. I usually like more harsh, extreme beers..but this is simply sour and one-dimensional in my book.

I hope the $40 Cantillon Saint Lamvinus in my cellar doesn't taste anything like this, and that's the understatement of the year. I certainly won't be purchasing the Cantillon Fou' Foune again.

This may be for some...but it certainly was not for me, or the three others that helped me drink this bottle. None of us were impressed in the least.

09-28-2005 22:49:28 | More by hero27
Anvilfarm

Missouri

2.25/5  rDev -51.4%

06-27-2014 00:18:24 | More by Anvilfarm
rousee

2.45/5  rDev -47.1%

A-gold murk-no head, no lace.
S-acidic vinegar smell with some fruitiness to it also--either peaches or apricots--some hint of lemon too. nothing overpowering yet.
T- ZING!!! This is the tartest of all the Cantillons I have tried (had about 5 others) and its the tartest by far. Doesnt seem to have the horseblanket or earthy farmhouse-like taste that the other Cantillons do--maybe this is due to the fact that the tartness of these apricots (I think thats what the fruit is) is just so powerful that said horseblanket flavor is masked. It does have a cold very thirst-quenching finish to it. Drinking this beer is almost like biting into a lemon. Might be good once but not something you want to make a habit of.
MF-fine smooth peach or apricot fuzz--quite pleasant.
D-This is one hard beer to drink. I finished my whole glass but I won't be getting this one again.

12-12-2004 14:13:49 | More by rousee
GreenCard

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottled and purchased from the brewery in 2003...

Appearance: light straw, cloudy, thinnish layer of white foam (on hard pour), poor head retention

Aroma: ethereal wisps of apricot/peach throughout a geuzy base: lactic sourness, wet straw, sulphur, cork, stale crackers

Flavor: puckeringly sour (like sucking a lemon), distant hint of apricot, stale butter, cork, trace of turpentine (or a taste like the way turpentine smells), finishes dry with a lingering tartness and some graininess and unripe apricots in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, mild carbonation, very acidic, slightly slick in the throat

Other comments: Holy crap this one's sour! Of course, Cantillons are typically sour, but this is outrageous! Can give you heartburn or acid reflux if you drink too much of it. Couldn't get through the entire 750ml by myself, so I'm going to use part of it to make dressing.

12-31-2004 19:00:25 | More by GreenCard

05-22-2014 17:17:06 | More by Nichols33
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -34.6%

The first I have had of this type. Extremely sour, like vinegar. Even in the aroma.Recent arrival at Smokeless Joe's. Bartender insisted this was it, not on way to the skunk. Good I split it with a friend and could have done so with three other friends. After first acid bite on mouth (which I still feel 7 hours later), it grows on you. Like a highly acidic apple. A bit of apricot aroma but we tasted nothing sweet or fruity. Yeast but overpowered. Must have with food.

06-02-2004 04:27:07 | More by Sammy
Rifugium

3.15/5  rDev -32%

Not sure when or where I first had this, but it was probably a bottle share somewhere. I never reviewed it because I had no notes on it, but this review is from a recent tasting on tap at Monk's.

(Make sure you don't pay too much for this one, because as with many Cantillon beers, it's way overhyped and way overrated.)

Looks nice: cloudy, honey-orange color, with about a 1/2" cap of delicate white bubbles for a head that recedes to a small ringlet, leaving soapy lacing on the glass. Distant, dry aroma, citrus zest, musty, touch of apricot. Tartness hits you up front on the palate, very drying, more citrus pith than anything, lemon juice, afterthoughts of candied apricot and grassy funk. Don't drink this if you have chapped lips. Fairly light bodied, a bit on the thin side, acidic, but with a good drying balance that improves the drinkability. Nice, but nothing really special going on here, but if you're a beer scene noob, you'll love it.

06-19-2012 23:37:41 | More by Rifugium
paterlodie

3.15/5  rDev -32%

BB 12-20-20. Not much head due to hardly any carbonation. Beer is deep golden and very hazy. Nose is heavy messed in with dusty barn, horsesweat, oaknotes, cheese and IMO overdone and litle sewer like. Not bad but for me just too much. As is taste that is oversoured edgy and unbalanced. Some oaknotes in the back and dry but this sourness is just too much and think this one needs many years to get for me to an acceptable and balanced taste. Who knows but another one I have is put all the way back into my cellar. Drinkable but very rough IMO.

01-04-2006 19:31:58 | More by paterlodie
Mar02x

Netherlands

3.25/5  rDev -29.8%

This is going to be my first sip of a Cantillon beer. Lets see why they are so famous. I had the opportunity to taste this beer on a tasting organized by BA's Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. We all brought one bottle of beer too. I forgot who brought this one, so sorry for that.

See for the total beer line up my review of the Brewery - Black Tuesday.

A - A pale yellow ale white a white head op top.

S - A sour peach smell reaches my nostrils.

T - Again sour peaches, nothing exiting though.

M - Thin body, sour after taste.

O - What can I say, for a sour there's is some flavor to taste, great! You guessed it, this stuff is not made for me.

12-26-2011 12:52:22 | More by Mar02x
PeakedInHighSchool

Missouri

03-09-2014 15:59:12 | More by PeakedInHighSchool
Crosling

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Apricot colored liquid below a small, slowing forming head. Initially bright and vibrant fruit aroma of apricot and peach, which becomes less apparent as the bottle nears final consumption. Other aromatic Cantillon lambic qualities are also present, but in a subtle way. Unbelievably harsh citric acid flavor, with very little character besides an extreme amount of sourness. This is an unbelievably intense lambic, probably the most sour lambic ever. It’s so strange, because I adore the three year old Grand Cru, but that beer has so much more depth and character, besides the sourness. This is just cutting, with very little fruit character.

03-16-2006 03:30:50 | More by Crosling
Naerhu

Japan

3.3/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Light yellow body with tangerine colored highlights. No head and visible carbonation.
S - Extremely sour aroma with very vigourous apricot aroma.
T - Pure apricot vinegar with malty undertones. Very clean, not very complex and oddly no funkyness. Stunning acidity.
M - Very carbonated and light bodied.
D - This was surprisingly easy drinking. Not that I would ever want to drink this when I wanted a beer, it was an ok one time experience.

10-22-2005 11:23:07 | More by Naerhu
Suds

3.4/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours a golden color, with a slight tint of orange, a fizzy head, and a negligible haze. The aroma is pretty funky: apricot is notable right off the bat, followed by a grassiness, horseblanket, musty earth, wood, and a serious vinousness. The first taste is a powerful, mouth-pckering, roll-up-your tongue, wrinkle-your-face sourness. Lots of acid. This lambic sure isn’t sweetened. After the first few sips, and your mouth is prepared, a lot of funkly, fruity flavors come out. The apricot hides, and I could only pick it out as a faint effect of the finish. The musty, horse flavor is present through the taste. This is an extremely dry, extremely astringent brew. There’s a high level of carbonation. Pretty much no hop flavors at all. This is one sour, but subtle beer. The more I drank, the more it grew on me. I wouldn’t drink it on it’s own again…but I think it would be fantastic with food. The beer would go great with some intensely rich foods (I kept thinking that this would be great with oysters Rockefeller).

02-05-2006 13:06:36 | More by Suds
poundboy

Vermont

3.4/5  rDev -26.6%

This was only my fourth lambic, so perhap my pallette was not quite ready for this one. I read so many great reviews about Cantillon that I just had to try it out. Picked up this bottle at the the wacky Drive-thu beer store just downt the road. That place is nuts. They have the over 800 beers, yet its a drive thu and they discourage browsing. And they are waaay overpriced. Paid just over $20 for this bottle of 2001 vintage.

Poured slowlyinto my trusty tulip glass, revealing some head and minimal lacing. Very carbonated, could have produced much more head had I felt like it. Straw/gold in color, very silimar to a hefe, but less cloudy.
First sip puckered my right up. this is the most sour beer, and perhaps the most sour beverage I have ever had. Honestly, it made me think of the Sour Warhead candies I used to eat as a kid. Certainly a taste that takes some getting used to. But once I got used to it, I came to enjoy it to an extent. Earthy tastes become apparent as it warms and there are leathery flavors as well. If I didn't know that there were apricots in it, I might not have noticed them. However, I look for them and found them hiding in the nose and underneath the sourness, especially at the finish. Perhaps they would have been more apparent if the beer was fresher.
I can't rate this one too highly, it just wasn't something I can see drinking all the time. But don't let that discourage you, you might enjoy it much more. Heck 6 months ago I couldn't stand IPAs and now I love them.

10-04-2004 00:42:36 | More by poundboy
davod23

3.43/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again.

12-06-2009 17:58:53 | More by davod23