1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon Fou' FouneCantillon Fou' Foune

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Apricot Lambic

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,413 | Reviews: 406 | Show All Ratings:
hero27

look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

Shared the huge bottle with a few friends. 2004 date on it. Picked up three different Cantillon brews at John's Grocery in Iowa City, and thought I'd give this one a try first.

The pour and look of this beer is decidedly awful. Fizzy head is gone in an instant, no doubt because nothing would want to stay sitting on something that smells like this...
Is that taste supposed to be apricots? Because it doesn't taste anything like any apricots I've ever tasted..it tastes like rotten, sour...i dunno..something not good. It's also as acidic as any beer I've had. I'm sorry, I'll probably get flak for writing such a bad review of a beer that's rated rather highly, but this thing certainly did not impress me in any category. I usually like more harsh, extreme beers..but this is simply sour and one-dimensional in my book.

I hope the $40 Cantillon Saint Lamvinus in my cellar doesn't taste anything like this, and that's the understatement of the year. I certainly won't be purchasing the Cantillon Fou' Foune again.

This may be for some...but it certainly was not for me, or the three others that helped me drink this bottle. None of us were impressed in the least.

09-28-2005 22:49:28 | More by hero27
rousee

2.45/5  rDev -47.1%

A-gold murk-no head, no lace.
S-acidic vinegar smell with some fruitiness to it also--either peaches or apricots--some hint of lemon too. nothing overpowering yet.
T- ZING!!! This is the tartest of all the Cantillons I have tried (had about 5 others) and its the tartest by far. Doesnt seem to have the horseblanket or earthy farmhouse-like taste that the other Cantillons do--maybe this is due to the fact that the tartness of these apricots (I think thats what the fruit is) is just so powerful that said horseblanket flavor is masked. It does have a cold very thirst-quenching finish to it. Drinking this beer is almost like biting into a lemon. Might be good once but not something you want to make a habit of.
MF-fine smooth peach or apricot fuzz--quite pleasant.
D-This is one hard beer to drink. I finished my whole glass but I won't be getting this one again.

12-12-2004 14:13:49 | More by rousee
GreenCard

Oregon

2.95/5  rDev -36.3%

Bottled and purchased from the brewery in 2003...

Appearance: light straw, cloudy, thinnish layer of white foam (on hard pour), poor head retention

Aroma: ethereal wisps of apricot/peach throughout a geuzy base: lactic sourness, wet straw, sulphur, cork, stale crackers

Flavor: puckeringly sour (like sucking a lemon), distant hint of apricot, stale butter, cork, trace of turpentine (or a taste like the way turpentine smells), finishes dry with a lingering tartness and some graininess and unripe apricots in the aftertaste

Mouthfeel: light body, mild carbonation, very acidic, slightly slick in the throat

Other comments: Holy crap this one's sour! Of course, Cantillons are typically sour, but this is outrageous! Can give you heartburn or acid reflux if you drink too much of it. Couldn't get through the entire 750ml by myself, so I'm going to use part of it to make dressing.

12-31-2004 19:00:25 | More by GreenCard
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.03/5  rDev -34.6%

The first I have had of this type. Extremely sour, like vinegar. Even in the aroma.Recent arrival at Smokeless Joe's. Bartender insisted this was it, not on way to the skunk. Good I split it with a friend and could have done so with three other friends. After first acid bite on mouth (which I still feel 7 hours later), it grows on you. Like a highly acidic apple. A bit of apricot aroma but we tasted nothing sweet or fruity. Yeast but overpowered. Must have with food.

06-02-2004 04:27:07 | More by Sammy
paterlodie

3.15/5  rDev -32%

BB 12-20-20. Not much head due to hardly any carbonation. Beer is deep golden and very hazy. Nose is heavy messed in with dusty barn, horsesweat, oaknotes, cheese and IMO overdone and litle sewer like. Not bad but for me just too much. As is taste that is oversoured edgy and unbalanced. Some oaknotes in the back and dry but this sourness is just too much and think this one needs many years to get for me to an acceptable and balanced taste. Who knows but another one I have is put all the way back into my cellar. Drinkable but very rough IMO.

01-04-2006 19:31:58 | More by paterlodie
Rifugium

3.15/5  rDev -32%

Not sure when or where I first had this, but it was probably a bottle share somewhere. I never reviewed it because I had no notes on it, but this review is from a recent tasting on tap at Monk's.

(Make sure you don't pay too much for this one, because as with many Cantillon beers, it's way overhyped and way overrated.)

Looks nice: cloudy, honey-orange color, with about a 1/2" cap of delicate white bubbles for a head that recedes to a small ringlet, leaving soapy lacing on the glass. Distant, dry aroma, citrus zest, musty, touch of apricot. Tartness hits you up front on the palate, very drying, more citrus pith than anything, lemon juice, afterthoughts of candied apricot and grassy funk. Don't drink this if you have chapped lips. Fairly light bodied, a bit on the thin side, acidic, but with a good drying balance that improves the drinkability. Nice, but nothing really special going on here, but if you're a beer scene noob, you'll love it.

06-19-2012 23:37:41 | More by Rifugium
Crosling

Colorado

3.25/5  rDev -29.8%

Apricot colored liquid below a small, slowing forming head. Initially bright and vibrant fruit aroma of apricot and peach, which becomes less apparent as the bottle nears final consumption. Other aromatic Cantillon lambic qualities are also present, but in a subtle way. Unbelievably harsh citric acid flavor, with very little character besides an extreme amount of sourness. This is an unbelievably intense lambic, probably the most sour lambic ever. It’s so strange, because I adore the three year old Grand Cru, but that beer has so much more depth and character, besides the sourness. This is just cutting, with very little fruit character.

03-16-2006 03:30:50 | More by Crosling
Mar02x

3.25/5  rDev -29.8%

This is going to be my first sip of a Cantillon beer. Lets see why they are so famous. I had the opportunity to taste this beer on a tasting organized by BA's Jeffo and Doopiedoopiedoo. We all brought one bottle of beer too. I forgot who brought this one, so sorry for that.

See for the total beer line up my review of the Brewery - Black Tuesday.

A - A pale yellow ale white a white head op top.

S - A sour peach smell reaches my nostrils.

T - Again sour peaches, nothing exiting though.

M - Thin body, sour after taste.

O - What can I say, for a sour there's is some flavor to taste, great! You guessed it, this stuff is not made for me.

12-26-2011 12:52:22 | More by Mar02x
Naerhu

Japan

3.3/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Light yellow body with tangerine colored highlights. No head and visible carbonation.
S - Extremely sour aroma with very vigourous apricot aroma.
T - Pure apricot vinegar with malty undertones. Very clean, not very complex and oddly no funkyness. Stunning acidity.
M - Very carbonated and light bodied.
D - This was surprisingly easy drinking. Not that I would ever want to drink this when I wanted a beer, it was an ok one time experience.

10-22-2005 11:23:07 | More by Naerhu
poundboy

Vermont

3.4/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

This was only my fourth lambic, so perhap my pallette was not quite ready for this one. I read so many great reviews about Cantillon that I just had to try it out. Picked up this bottle at the the wacky Drive-thu beer store just downt the road. That place is nuts. They have the over 800 beers, yet its a drive thu and they discourage browsing. And they are waaay overpriced. Paid just over $20 for this bottle of 2001 vintage.

Poured slowlyinto my trusty tulip glass, revealing some head and minimal lacing. Very carbonated, could have produced much more head had I felt like it. Straw/gold in color, very silimar to a hefe, but less cloudy.
First sip puckered my right up. this is the most sour beer, and perhaps the most sour beverage I have ever had. Honestly, it made me think of the Sour Warhead candies I used to eat as a kid. Certainly a taste that takes some getting used to. But once I got used to it, I came to enjoy it to an extent. Earthy tastes become apparent as it warms and there are leathery flavors as well. If I didn't know that there were apricots in it, I might not have noticed them. However, I look for them and found them hiding in the nose and underneath the sourness, especially at the finish. Perhaps they would have been more apparent if the beer was fresher.
I can't rate this one too highly, it just wasn't something I can see drinking all the time. But don't let that discourage you, you might enjoy it much more. Heck 6 months ago I couldn't stand IPAs and now I love them.

10-04-2004 00:42:36 | More by poundboy
Suds

3.4/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a golden color, with a slight tint of orange, a fizzy head, and a negligible haze. The aroma is pretty funky: apricot is notable right off the bat, followed by a grassiness, horseblanket, musty earth, wood, and a serious vinousness. The first taste is a powerful, mouth-pckering, roll-up-your tongue, wrinkle-your-face sourness. Lots of acid. This lambic sure isn’t sweetened. After the first few sips, and your mouth is prepared, a lot of funkly, fruity flavors come out. The apricot hides, and I could only pick it out as a faint effect of the finish. The musty, horse flavor is present through the taste. This is an extremely dry, extremely astringent brew. There’s a high level of carbonation. Pretty much no hop flavors at all. This is one sour, but subtle beer. The more I drank, the more it grew on me. I wouldn’t drink it on it’s own again…but I think it would be fantastic with food. The beer would go great with some intensely rich foods (I kept thinking that this would be great with oysters Rockefeller).

02-05-2006 13:06:36 | More by Suds
davod23

3.43/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again.

12-06-2009 17:58:53 | More by davod23
BARFLYB

3.53/5  rDev -23.8%

A handpull at Teresa's Next Door. (That sounds odd, now that i think about it)

Just like Iris, Fou Foune poured expertly off the handpump, I was greeted by half a glass of orangeish gold liquid with the top of the glass full of white foam. It settled out nicely with nice retention and minor stick.

Unlike last years Fou Foune cask serving at the same venue (and possibly the same vintage), this smelled way off. I got baby powder and old feet and a plastic scent. Hardly any apricot until the end of the glass. I know each vintage is different, but I did not warm up to this.

The taste brings it back. Not getting any of that old Cantillon scent, im pleased with the nice acidic sourness and apricot with some old musky barnyard thrown in. Some oak with warming and old cheese taste at the end. Last year, this stuff rocked, if this is the same vintage as that, it's fallen off, and that's just my opinion on this vintage, I know what this beer can be.

Feel is very light bodied and nicely carbed up. A nice amount of sourness hits the gullet, yet not extreme. While I really enjoyed this, I could not get another glass, I went with Iris instead. I really want to try a fresh bottle of fou foune and make a solid decision on it.

Serving type: cask

02-06-2012 03:48:43 | More by BARFLYB
TheSevenDuffs

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2011 bottle. Thanks to liamt07 for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy orange/yellow. One finger of white head formed and receded to a thin layer.

S - Sour and funky up front with very slight sweet apricot aroma.

T - The apricot is more prominent than in the nose but is not overwhelming. A huge sourness that is almost puckering.

M - Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

06-16-2012 18:42:06 | More by TheSevenDuffs
doopiedoopiedoo

3.6/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Awesome man. Just opened a bottle of this during a tasting at my house.

I don't like sours. Hence the avatar.

This one looked pretty good. Yellow, hazy with a nice two finger head.

smells pretty much like a saison. Bready, yeasty. Horse blanket?

Taste was fairly pleasant. Not too sour. Mind you I just done a blind quad tasting and a Darkness vertical. I could actually taste fruit like apricot and the bready yeasty flavors I love in saison...

Feels like a mouthfull. Not like a big B elgian pale ale but still pretty full. medium body with medium carbonation.

Still not converted but I would drink this again when offered.

12-11-2011 20:59:54 | More by doopiedoopiedoo
codysjb

3.65/5  rDev -21.2%

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, poured into a Cantillon stem glass!
A: A cloudy light orange look, what a great color. Very consistent, the clouds don’t float around its extremely cloudy all over rather than in spots.
S: Sour and funky, like most cantillon lambics. It has that “Belgian” smell to it and I don’t really detect any fruit.
T: Sour all over, much more than anything else they make. Tastes somewhat like their gueuze but nothing special. Lots of carbonation in this one.
M: Sour with some apricot and peach notes on the end of the palate.
O: I’m really disappointed with this beer. I had really hoped this would be amazing as it’s impossible to find and everyone wants to try it. Really, it reminds me of their gueuze, just not as good. Certainly not bad and I’d try it again but I wouldn’t jump through the hoops that people do to try this (it’s just not worth it). B to B + range.

01-10-2012 22:06:36 | More by codysjb
DarkerTheBetter

3.68/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer came a hefe-like cloudy orange and gold with a thin creamy head. Smelled powerfully of apricots and a crazy wild yeast. The pungent smell reminded me of black earth and turned milk in the Russian River Supplication sort of sense. I’m guessing there are a lot of strange bacteria at work here forming this beer into something very unique. Tastes of powerfully sour nectarines, oranges and raspberries. The flavor is so intense, its hard to identify just what fruits were used here. It nearly tastes like vinegar its so tough. There’s also a sour milk flavor here as well. Fortunately, there’s a creamy apricot in the finish. Wow. When the waitress said “it’s very sour” she wasn’t kidding. The mouth feel is thick and the sourness really puckers the mouth quite a bit. However, if you drink this slowly, you just may enjoy it.

01-20-2006 16:11:04 | More by DarkerTheBetter
IronDjinn

Alberta (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -20.5%

From a 750 ml green bottle, corked and capped. Pours out a cloudy apricot hue, fittingly enough, with a finger of spongy off-white head that recedes very quickly.

Ripe apricot, dried apricot and some funk appear on the nose. Hints of dry leafy spicy hops.

Tart acidic sourness up front in the flavour, quick flash of dried apricot, finishing with mild earthy dry hops and a mouth puckering sharp acidity. Things dry out and clean up in the aftertaste except for a sticky acidity that clings to the roof of the palate. Apricot

Mouthfeel is light, sticky acidic texture with moderate pin-prickly carbonation.

Rather mild for the usual Cantillon's that I'm used to, but still delivers that sharp acidic twang that is the signature of the style. Also a rare one where they recommend consuming it within a year of its production, rather than aging it as long as you can hold out. I feel lucky to have had the chance to sample this, though still not a huge fan.

12-28-2011 05:02:58 | More by IronDjinn
dogfooddog

Panama

3.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Cork dated 2004, pours into large flute glass at 50f with active 30% hea, this beer is very carbonated. I bought this bottle in the US just recently.

smell is typical cantillon acidic musty along with an unusual moldy odor I would normally associated with something ruined, but with lambic and cantillon in particular this is probably a good sign.

Taste is initially very dry and pucker-sour, and initial no fruit notes are visible in this. The second swallow I get a distinct hint of peach or apricot. At this point some of this replaces the moldy note in the odor. My palate seems to adapt quickly and the extreme pucker-power is more enjoyable.

The aftertaste is notably apricot-ish, the part of the mouth not burned by pucker-sour notes feels distinctly that it has had an unusual fruit in its lambic.

Further into the bottle the fruit note becomes more prominent, carbonation remains very active, probably adding to the apparent harshness at first noted.

A somewhat unusual but typically excellent product from Cantillon

Follow-up - this beer was very slow-drinking and actually caused moderate acid indigestion, something I almost never get, not even from cantillon lambics. Stomach pain finally got so bad I did something I have never done with a cantillon product before - I gave up and poured the last 25% out. I am going to let my remaining bottles of this sit for a year or more and see if they mellow out.

I drink cantillon products all the time and have never had anything like this. No idea if it is a temporary gastrointestinal problem on my part (comment 4/28/06, it was almost certainly a beer issue) but there are no other indications that it is anything but the beer.

03-21-2006 04:04:01 | More by dogfooddog
rvdoorn

3.73/5  rDev -19.4%

2010 vintage
Look: the beer pours a yellow-straw color with a small white head
Smell: Very sour, with apricot, peach, lemon and some oak
Taste: As expected from the nose, this beer is very sour. Vinegar with pure lemon juice and apricots. Very fruity. Dry and stinging acid in the aftertaste
Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body with medium carbonation
Overall: I love sours and had many of them, but this one is like a geuze with pure lemon juice added, making it a bit unbalanced IMO. Just expected more of this one, although would never turn one down

08-14-2011 11:03:39 | More by rvdoorn
GClarkage

3.8/5  rDev -17.9%

12/4/08- Purcahsed at Plumpjack's in San Francisco, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle, vintage 2003 says the cork. Poured into my Cantillion small tulip/wine glass.

Appearance- Seems to be a brown liquid under the cap surrounding the cork. Pours with a grapefruit colored cloudy white-yellow. Slightlest of spritzy head upon pour which fades upon impact. Leaves super light spotty quick disolving lace.

Smell- Smells very vinegary...the cork pops and still smells a bit vinegar-like, but also more lambic like with some definite barnyard qualities of wet hay and earthyness. Sour fruits, but I can't make them out. Possibly lemon, but apricot does not stand out.

Taste- Pucker city. Possibly the most sour beer I have ever encountered. Tart and mouth puckering. Lemon, grapefruit and other citrus fruits are pretty mucn undefinable due to the extreme tartness.

Mouthfeel- Very dry with an ultra long lasting sour feeling on the back of the tongue. Medium carbonation level.

Drinkability- This about pushed my limits of sourness. It tore up my stomach as well. Only for the people who can tolerate extreme amounts of citric acid. Tasted just fine, but hard to complete an entire bottle for me at least.

12-05-2008 15:32:08 | More by GClarkage
beerthulhu

3.83/5  rDev -17.3%

$20 bottle 22 oz.

A: Hazy lemon/orange color with very thin white head.

S: Tangerine aroma with some spicy tartness. Tart sour grapefruit flavor, like drinking lemon juice straight from the bottle. Wow.

T: Wicked lemon flavor that is overbearingly strong makes this beer truly one dimensional in flavor. It only gets more sour when it warms but in a good way. Truly an acquired taste and for the seasoned Belgium drinker. Wow.

M: Thin body but extreme sharp/acidic lemon flavor. Makes your eyes squint just bringing the glass up to your mouth from the aroma.

D: 1 bomber is plenty for anyone i would guess. really extreme flavor and smoothing sourness. Price is a little steep to justify.

02-17-2008 18:27:47 | More by beerthulhu
n2185

3.83/5  rDev -17.3%

A: pours a hazy yellow-gold with two fingers of white head that fades into a thin layer with little lacing.

S: sweet apricots up front followed by sour notes similar to lemons and other tart fruits.

T: lots of tart lemon and feuit notes, with only light apricot notes. The finish is dry, tart, and a little funky.

M: medium-light body with low carbonation, this beer is unfortunately a little watery.

O: a good beer, overall. A little watery and not terribly complex, it's still tasty and refreshing.

06-17-2012 21:37:05 | More by n2185
writerLJBerg

Oregon

3.85/5  rDev -16.8%

On tap at Hop and Vine. Overly expensive 4 oz pour that was served far too cold, but which was allowed to warm to a more suitable temperature.

A: Golden-orange with a thin lacing.

N: Apricot, lemon, some sourness. Not as complex as I might have expected.

T: Tons and tons of apricots. Lemon rind and some raspberry hints. More apricot. Peach. A very pleasant sourness some ’glue’ funkiness.

M: Dry and somewhat oily. Good without being perfect.

O: The fruit is spectacular here, but it’s not quite as complex as I would have hoped. Still a worthy beer, but I think its ratings have gone up due to the difficulty in obtaining it.

12-03-2012 22:29:51 | More by writerLJBerg
nlmartin

3.88/5  rDev -16.2%

This beer was served in a fluted glass. The vintage date was 2002 on the cork.

Appearance: The beer poured a murky slightly green tinged pale amber coloration. Very light carbonation bubbled up in the glass. There is no head to speak of and no lacing present on the glass. This beer pretty much looks as expected.

Smell: I smelled tons of funky yeastyness playing with a vaguely citrusy vinegar combo. The funkyness of a cantillon is pretty unforgetable. Many of the smells present in the beer would be offensive in there own right combined together they form a strangely desireable combo.

Taste: The beer has the briefiest of sweetness followed by intense biting acidic vinegar punch. There are all the funky taste associated with a lambic in the beer , farmyard, barnyard and a romper room combo. Oddly enough this beer is not offensive to my palate.

Mouthfeel: The beer has a light body with a heavy sharp mouthfeel.

Drinkability: This beer was difficult for me to drink at times and hard to put down at others. I will definately give this one another try later.

03-20-2006 11:32:49 | More by nlmartin