Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,276
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Apricot Lambic

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros

3.53/5  rDev -23.8%

A handpull at Teresa's Next Door. (That sounds odd, now that i think about it)

Just like Iris, Fou Foune poured expertly off the handpump, I was greeted by half a glass of orangeish gold liquid with the top of the glass full of white foam. It settled out nicely with nice retention and minor stick.

Unlike last years Fou Foune cask serving at the same venue (and possibly the same vintage), this smelled way off. I got baby powder and old feet and a plastic scent. Hardly any apricot until the end of the glass. I know each vintage is different, but I did not warm up to this.

The taste brings it back. Not getting any of that old Cantillon scent, im pleased with the nice acidic sourness and apricot with some old musky barnyard thrown in. Some oak with warming and old cheese taste at the end. Last year, this stuff rocked, if this is the same vintage as that, it's fallen off, and that's just my opinion on this vintage, I know what this beer can be.

Feel is very light bodied and nicely carbed up. A nice amount of sourness hits the gullet, yet not extreme. While I really enjoyed this, I could not get another glass, I went with Iris instead. I really want to try a fresh bottle of fou foune and make a solid decision on it.

3.6/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Awesome man. Just opened a bottle of this during a tasting at my house.

I don't like sours. Hence the avatar.

This one looked pretty good. Yellow, hazy with a nice two finger head.

smells pretty much like a saison. Bready, yeasty. Horse blanket?

Taste was fairly pleasant. Not too sour. Mind you I just done a blind quad tasting and a Darkness vertical. I could actually taste fruit like apricot and the bready yeasty flavors I love in saison...

Feels like a mouthfull. Not like a big B elgian pale ale but still pretty full. medium body with medium carbonation.

Still not converted but I would drink this again when offered.

3.65/5  rDev -21.2%

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, poured into a Cantillon stem glass!
A: A cloudy light orange look, what a great color. Very consistent, the clouds don’t float around its extremely cloudy all over rather than in spots.
S: Sour and funky, like most cantillon lambics. It has that “Belgian” smell to it and I don’t really detect any fruit.
T: Sour all over, much more than anything else they make. Tastes somewhat like their gueuze but nothing special. Lots of carbonation in this one.
M: Sour with some apricot and peach notes on the end of the palate.
O: I’m really disappointed with this beer. I had really hoped this would be amazing as it’s impossible to find and everyone wants to try it. Really, it reminds me of their gueuze, just not as good. Certainly not bad and I’d try it again but I wouldn’t jump through the hoops that people do to try this (it’s just not worth it). B to B + range.

3.68/5  rDev -20.5%

From a 750 ml green bottle, corked and capped. Pours out a cloudy apricot hue, fittingly enough, with a finger of spongy off-white head that recedes very quickly.

Ripe apricot, dried apricot and some funk appear on the nose. Hints of dry leafy spicy hops.

Tart acidic sourness up front in the flavour, quick flash of dried apricot, finishing with mild earthy dry hops and a mouth puckering sharp acidity. Things dry out and clean up in the aftertaste except for a sticky acidity that clings to the roof of the palate. Apricot

Mouthfeel is light, sticky acidic texture with moderate pin-prickly carbonation.

Rather mild for the usual Cantillon's that I'm used to, but still delivers that sharp acidic twang that is the signature of the style. Also a rare one where they recommend consuming it within a year of its production, rather than aging it as long as you can hold out. I feel lucky to have had the chance to sample this, though still not a huge fan.

3.68/5  rDev -20.5%

This beer came a hefe-like cloudy orange and gold with a thin creamy head. Smelled powerfully of apricots and a crazy wild yeast. The pungent smell reminded me of black earth and turned milk in the Russian River Supplication sort of sense. I’m guessing there are a lot of strange bacteria at work here forming this beer into something very unique. Tastes of powerfully sour nectarines, oranges and raspberries. The flavor is so intense, its hard to identify just what fruits were used here. It nearly tastes like vinegar its so tough. There’s also a sour milk flavor here as well. Fortunately, there’s a creamy apricot in the finish. Wow. When the waitress said “it’s very sour” she wasn’t kidding. The mouth feel is thick and the sourness really puckers the mouth quite a bit. However, if you drink this slowly, you just may enjoy it.

3.7/5  rDev -20.1%

Cork dated 2004, pours into large flute glass at 50f with active 30% hea, this beer is very carbonated. I bought this bottle in the US just recently.

smell is typical cantillon acidic musty along with an unusual moldy odor I would normally associated with something ruined, but with lambic and cantillon in particular this is probably a good sign.

Taste is initially very dry and pucker-sour, and initial no fruit notes are visible in this. The second swallow I get a distinct hint of peach or apricot. At this point some of this replaces the moldy note in the odor. My palate seems to adapt quickly and the extreme pucker-power is more enjoyable.

The aftertaste is notably apricot-ish, the part of the mouth not burned by pucker-sour notes feels distinctly that it has had an unusual fruit in its lambic.

Further into the bottle the fruit note becomes more prominent, carbonation remains very active, probably adding to the apparent harshness at first noted.

A somewhat unusual but typically excellent product from Cantillon

Follow-up - this beer was very slow-drinking and actually caused moderate acid indigestion, something I almost never get, not even from cantillon lambics. Stomach pain finally got so bad I did something I have never done with a cantillon product before - I gave up and poured the last 25% out. I am going to let my remaining bottles of this sit for a year or more and see if they mellow out.

I drink cantillon products all the time and have never had anything like this. No idea if it is a temporary gastrointestinal problem on my part (comment 4/28/06, it was almost certainly a beer issue) but there are no other indications that it is anything but the beer.

3.73/5  rDev -19.4%

2010 vintage
Look: the beer pours a yellow-straw color with a small white head
Smell: Very sour, with apricot, peach, lemon and some oak
Taste: As expected from the nose, this beer is very sour. Vinegar with pure lemon juice and apricots. Very fruity. Dry and stinging acid in the aftertaste
Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body with medium carbonation
Overall: I love sours and had many of them, but this one is like a geuze with pure lemon juice added, making it a bit unbalanced IMO. Just expected more of this one, although would never turn one down

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon