Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 487 | Hads: 2,495
4.6/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is the beer that got me into the sour game. Excellent representation of this style. Had it at zwanze day at the Armsby Abbey in Worcester MA. Would def love to get again if given the chance.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

There are better reviews, but here we go. I had this 3 times at the brewery over the course of two days. 750ml bottle served in a lambic basket into their stemmed tasting glasses. It looks incredible, with the first pour being (of course) more clear than the last. With that said, there are still good clouds from the first to last pour. A good amount of head, one of the most out of the Cantillon's I had over the weekend. Almost an inch with a rigorous pour. Smell is of classic Cantillon lambic/gueze with just a hint of apricots. I don't get as much fruit as other people did. It's way more hidden than Framboise or Kriek. Great taste, with hints of apricot. In my opinion, not an apricot bomb whatsoever. Which is nice. Very balanced between funk, sourness, and fruit. Mouthfeel is great again, light with perfect carbonation. Obviously I recommend this, but I preferred LPF over this one. Two different beers that I am incredibly fortunate I had the opportunity to try.

4.25/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Either this beer is a bit hyped, or the 2015 is weaker than the rest. I expected more apricot in the nose, as well as the taste. It is a well made lambic, no doubt about it, but not much fruit going on.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%

Fresh bottle (August 2015)

Pours crisp pale orange with slight haze. Huge stone fruit on nose with a touch of brett funk. Tons of apricot on the palate, with a soft acid bite and a subtle funk undertone. Fantastic beer. just wow

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A definite want for a long time...Thanks to @byronic for the hookup.

Pours a not quite cloudy but not clear peach color with a very minimal head that disappeared quickly. The nose picked up the tart right away, and on the back end you could get the apricot. There was also earthy tones present, such as grass and a tiny bit of funk. The taste was sour/acidic right up front and then you get unripe apricot, with the sweetness of the apricot following much later on the very back end of the palate. Feel is medium with a prickly carbonation.

Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. My third Cantillon, and definitely the one I have enjoyed the most to date. The finish is fantastic and it is an easy to drink beer.

4.28/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From tasting notes when I had this on draft. Pours a hazy yellow, orange color without much head at all. The aroma is bright stone fruit and lemon. Not getting the funk I expected. Taste is bright, tart lemon with apricots, more earthy than funky. Mouth feel is medium bodied and crisp making this very drinkable. It still needs time to develop some more complexity, but still excellent.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got me some of this at the brewery...Sep 2015 release. Poured a very hazy golden orange. Small head that was gone without a trace quite quickly. Nose was a little lighter in funk than I'm used to with Cantillon, so I may upgrade this as the beer ages. Nice clean fresh and tart fruit comes through clearly. Seems more lemon than apricot. Flavor is again not as sharp or sour as I expected. Fruit comes through nicely, but not overly fruity. More apricot, but still some lemon. Bright. I have a few more bottles, so I'll be looking at this again over time.

4.77/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Few months ago I visited Cantillon brewery and took a bottle of Fou'Foune home. The whole brewery had a strong sour smell, so I knew I was about to taste a slightly different beer (from what I am used to).

The packaging looks great. I would, without a doubt be extremely happy if I received it as a gift - it looks much better than any wine bottle I've ever seen.

The yellowish and highly carbonated liquid smelled fantastic. The taste was excellent - refreshing and prickly. My wife found it too sour (she is used to Lindeman's and similar sugary treats), but I found it just perfect.

4.56/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me a sour Magic Hat #9... Just kidding. Had it on tap at Armsby Abbey, in Worcester, MA for Zwanze Day. Very well balanced for the style. Apricot flavors abound, and sour notes dance on the tastebuds without taking over like many in this style do. Just the right amount of funk.

2011 bottle. Drank the entire thing myself. Actually the wife had a little bit but not much. Smells great. A little like powdered lemonade. Looks beautiful. The color of apricots. Fizzy head at first dissipates quickly. Taste is astounding. Not overly sour at all. Very drinkable. It has lost some
Of the apricot I imagine but who cares. The best beer of its style
That I've ever had. Had my own little Zwanze day over here

On tap at Monk's on Zwanze day with the JJ. The most subtle delicious sour I've ever had. No punch you in the face sour patch kids here. Had multiple other cantillon in addition to pliny the elder on tap. Amazing birthday weekend.

4.59/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 and 2012 side by side in taster glasses
L: beautiful hazy Apricot, head dissipates quickly but a thin layer stays on the 2012
S: fresh and dried apricots. A little funk
T: same as the nose. nice tartness, more so in the 2012. 2011 has more dried Apricot.
F: body from the sweetness, tartness.
O: excellent. Prefer the 2011, but only slightly.

4.5/5  rDev -0.2%

2011 at a bottle share. My first time having Fou Foune and it definitely lives up to its reputation. Nice and tart, but not overly sour. Really nice and among the best I've had from Cantillon.

4.73/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful peach/light orange pour with the perfect amount of fizzy carb. Tiny bubbles enhance the view. The smell is lemon, hay, unripe fruit. The taste pretty much mirrors that. It's like a firm, slightly unripe apricot. You get the tartness of the skin and the bright burst of the flesh. Very impressive beer. Light enough and restrained enough to enjoy an entire bottle when celebrating the birth of your second daughter.

4.18/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured out it's a beautiful orange. I got a little of the latex glove thing going. Not the cantillon funk that i'm used to. Not packed with appricots like something from sideproject.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

poured a hazy peach color with two fingers of head. smell of stone fruit- apricots, peach followed by a sour funk.

flavor followed the nose, with a sour apricot flavor that lingers. One of my fav fruited lambics

4.94/5  rDev +9.5%

Look: Beautiful bright straw color with a pillowy white head that recedes to a clean surface.
Smell: Tons of funk! Hay, barnyard, lactic acid and stone fruit.
Taste: So much more here than the aroma (to me at least). Loads of intense cheesy, farmy funk gives way to an unbelievable sweet apricot finish. Stunning.
Feel: Perfectly carbed, effervescent and crisp. Not much more to say here than perfect.
Overall: This is the best lambic I've had the pleasure of trying and it outclassed all American Wild Ales I've tried to date. Beautiful beer.

WOW. WOW. WOW. Right now this is my favorite beer of all time. It's right up my alley for flavor. I struggle to get peach on any other peach sour, and this one is different. There is so much peach and tartness on the finish. The carbonation and mouthfeel is perfect. 5/5 for me all day.

4.93/5  rDev +9.3%

A truly remarkable balance of funk, sour and fruit. Nice effervescence puts this over the top for me. The best sour that I have ever had. World-class.

4.71/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thank to IggyWH for a generous trade. This beer was ripe with apricot despite being a year old vintage (2014). Everything was up to par as far as expectations set. The one thing that can't be beat is that tingling crispness you get on the tongue as it finishes. That is something that cannot be replicated.

4.95/5  rDev +9.8%

#400! And what a way to celebrate. This thing is brimming with flavor and aroma. Extreme complexity and tartness with the apricot shining through. This is one elegant no training wheels beer. Appreciate this one in good company - its other worldly.

4.44/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is not a starter lambic with subtle apricot notes and a tart lemon finish. I had a bottle of this complex beer at Brasserie Cantillon and was surprised by the nose, layers of flavor and complex taste. If you like Gueze then this is a must try. If you love the art of beer making and getting to taste more than just hops or malt than this is worth the trip

4.97/5  rDev +10.2%

Smells like Apricot skins with the subtle Cantillon funk.

Pretty complex tasting - Sweet apricots with the typical lambic acidity followed by a lemon funk on the backend.

Easily one of the best beers I've ever had.

4.33/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

peach color, nice and murky,, big foamy white head....
nose is some citrus, peach, apricot, and sour notes...
taste follows with a nice amount of funk added....
creamy mouthfeel and good carbonation....
very tasty...

4.79/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer is absolutely fantastic.

Fou' Foune integrates the classic Cantillon sour qualities nearly perfectly with the juicy flavors of apricots to deliver one of the best beers in the world.

This one lives up to the hype.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon