Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 470 | Hads: 2,411
4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

On tap served in the wine glass style Cantillon glass at the Trappist in Oakland. From notes 04/28/10.

This beer is a slightly hazy blonde pretty much identical in color to the gueuze produced by the same brewery. Only a minimal head forms, typical of Cantillon's beers.

Aroma is somewhat surprisingly musty on tap, for some reason I was thinking this wouldn't have the same complexity as a bottled Cantillon. There's a notable fruitiness which helps round out of the funkiness but not I'm not sure I'd be easily able to identify it as apricot if I didn't already know.

Bracing, puckering, sour taste on the entry but this quickly gives way to the sweeter apricot notes to create a relatively clean and dry flavor profile. Although the fruitiness is still not intensely apricot it does remind me of the tart part of the fruit surrounding the stone. There's a fairly strong funky musty taste on the aftertaste.

Drinkability is similar to most Cantillon beers. Goes down easy but the tartness keeps it a sipper.

I'm glad I had a chance to try this since I can't seem to find it in bottles in my area. Since the apricots are so subtle, overall this is probably best described as a slightly sweeter version of their Classic Gueuze. (1,235 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

Thanks to both Dyan and Joe for sending bottles of this to me recently. One of my favorite Cantillons!

A: The pour from a 2009 bottle is a hazy light golden yellow color with very minimal white foam on top.

S: An intense nose as always. Tons of lactic acidity, lemons, apricots, and green apples. The oak is a bit more pronounced than usual with a really nice wet hay and barnyard funk.

T: This is certainly one of the most acidic and sour Cantillon beers out there. A very sharp lemony tartness followed by some apricot, but not overly intense. Wonderful wet and musty funk and heavy oak components.

M: Light on the tongue but a powerful sourness that is tongue-buckling to say the least. A nice dry and tannic finish.

D: Easily one of my favorite beers (from Cantillon or otherwise). I could drink this stuff all day, and I'm glad to have another bottle. (861 characters)

4.48/5  rDev 0%

I've had this beer numerous times...this review is based off of the best Fou'Foune I've ever had! Notice that it's been cellared for nearly 9 years.

Vintage 2001. Finally decided to break this one open. Poured from a 750ml magnum bottle. Poured into my Lindeman's champaigne flute. Pours a wonderful pale hazy copper color(slow pour)...with a pretty substantial white frothy head that dissapates down to about a half finger and remains there for a VERY long time. Leaves thick/though quick sliding fizzy white lacing.

Aroma is wonderful! Not much apricot left...possibly just a light crisp fruit, major funkiness. SUPER tart!

Wow! The most tart beer I've ever had! I've had a lot of sours...krieks, gueuzes, lambics...etc. This definitely "takes the cake" for the biggest tart factor! Very impressed though overall with the flavor. Besides the rediculous amount of puckering tart, theres really no apricot noticeable anymore...not that it hurts the flavor one bit IMO. The HUGE funkiness comes in after a couple seconds and has a long lasting aftertaste. Leaves a sweet and enjoyable flavor on the lips for a few minutes as well. High carbonation, tart, lemon/citrus, light body. As the beer warms up, the funkiness really comes in even bigger! Wow, what an extrordinary...off the wall beer! (1,294 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +0.9%

Review from notes on 12/13/09. On tap at Monk's Cafe.

A- cloudy pale yellow with a slight white ring for a head in a nonic 4.0

Sm- citrus and tart granny smith sourness, bit of yeastiness and pale malt, starfruit and a hint of mustiness. 4.5

T- very much like the aroma, but very pronounced acidic tartness. Hint of lemon zest and pepper. Quite good. 4.5

M- thin and smooth, slight prickle on the palate. 4.0

D- extremely. I can easily do a few of these. But they ran out shortly after. 5.0 (495 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. 2009 vintage.

Pours a cloudy orange-tinted straw topped by a nice bright white head.

Loads of mouthwatering funk on the nose, begging me to take a sip. Light citrus follows along, and temperamental fleshy ripe apricots--the apricot aroma seems to only come forth when I set the glass down, wait a few moments, and take a sniff without swirling. If I swirl the glass, there's no apricot to be found. Wet hay and barnyard aromas round out the nose.

Razor-blade-like cutting sour notes on the palate. Dry and prickly, and almost needle-like. Dusty hay, funky, fruity, and absolutely delightful. Try it if you ever have the chance. (670 characters)

4.24/5  rDev -5.4%

Another Cantillon, so much fun. 2007 vintage. Beer is yellow and hazy. Forms a white head and true to the brewery leaves no lacing behind, that's fine.

Aroma is super sour, really tart. Smells awesome.

Slight sulfur, tastes kind of like flowers. I'm not picking up on the fruit so much. Its pretty sour. I think it smells better than it tastes. Overall drinkability is good and mouthfeel is good as well. (406 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Just love the way this beer looks pours a stale looking apricot orange dull and dirty unfiltered with an astringent white head loose and of its own kind. Carbonation bubbles cling to sides of my tulip in various spots.

Christ what a great smelling beer. Sour and funky with oaky undertones tart fruits slight bit of citrus and obviously that aroma of apricot.

Deliciously mouth puckering. Great sour middle and finish so fruity and delicious. Apricot really takes the lead with oak later on. Good acidity levels and perfect carbonation. Not nearly as thin as majority of sours out there and it really helps that out. But hell it is cantillon. Little heart burn kicking in from the acidity and funky undertones. Could drink this for hours on end. (748 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

On tap at Capone's.

A: Pours a pale apricot with a nice white head. A bit of lacing and a minimal head that stays throughout.

S: Very, very sour with lots of apricot and white peach notes. A bit of funk and oak.

T: Loads of apricot with some very nice lactic sourness. A bit of funk, earth, and wood; mainly, though, this one is all about the sour apricot and I love it.

M: Fairly light bodied and incredibly dry and crisp. Very powerful acidity.

D: Very nice drinkability, although anything over 10oz. or so might get to be a little much. Overall, absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, blew Saint Lamnivus (which we had side-by-side) out of the water. (656 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from tap at Capones in Norristown into a sample glass.

A: A hazy yellow goldish with a one finger white head and full big glass lacing.

S: Tart fruits dominate with some yeasty funk and a bit of sweetness.

T: Tart tangy fruits dominate with apricot, peach, apple and pear. Very crisp with some faint hops bitterness. Yeasty earthy flavors fill in but never take over the fruit flavors. Nice beer.

M: Tart, tangy, full and no alcohol.

D: This is where the beer suffered for me. I just could only drink a small quantity of it before I was tired of it.

Overall a very good beer, but it just was a bit too much on the fruit for me. Still very glad I tried it. (669 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -9.6%

Fou' Foune. Now that's a pretty goofy name. My fellow dude-bros everywhere would taunt me mercilessly if they heard I drank it. Well, I had to throw down the 30 smackers that K&L wanted for a 750ml of this one since I saw the Cantillon crew pitting the apricots for it when I visited the brewery back in July '09. Those 'cots looked pretty damn good.

Well, this beer pours golden-orange, not too far off the color of an actual apricot. A well-formed whitish head sits on top.

The aroma is excellent, although very sour. Apricots dominate, along with some oak and earthy funk.

Flavor is sour apricots through and through. Very good, but not quite as awesomely fruity and flavorful as I had hoped. A little funky and extremely tart with some barrel notes.

Medium-bodied with very high acidity and somewhat effervescent carbonation.

Overall I really like this beer, although it's not quite as impressive as some other Cantillon offerings. (940 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -12.3%

750ml from Wilburs, $26, bottled in 2009.

A: pale golden yellow in color, stark white head, quite turbid. Small head to begin with and a fair amount of retention, nice 1/2in cap sticking around. Nice.

S: wheat malts, fairly funky, but more on the sweaty gym socks end of the spectrum, apricot jam. Not the most impressive smelling Cantillon.

T: the apricots are definitely there, and as others have noted more tart than it is overly sour. Great aftertaste of apricot jam. Lemon like tartness. Fairly light. A little bit of honey in there as well. Really lacks that strong funky intense profile that I would hope forInteresting.

M: light, dry, crisp, and lactic. Spot on here.

D: fairly easy to drink, this is definitely more of a summer beer. Not the most impressive beer from Cantillon but still very tasty. A little more expensive than I'd like but a nice beer. Glad to try it. (889 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a pale hazy yellow color lambic with a huge pure white foamy head with good retention and some great retention. Aroma of sour and tart notes are dominant and somewhat off-set by some light fruity apricot. Taste is a wonderful mix between some light apricot, some tart and sour notes with some well balanced acidity. Body is quite full with great carbonation. Very well made with a great balance between some tart notes with some fruit and well balanced acidity. (476 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +9.8%

2004 vintage drank alongside a 2005 Lou Pepe Framboise and a 2006 Lou Pepe Kriek. Like the other two beers, the cap had signs of rust on the inside, but the cork and beer were fine.

Pours a sunny orange with a tight white head that leaves a few spots of lace as it drops to a film and then nothing. The aroma is rich in apricot, but still has strong evidence of that lambic base, and has nice notes of barrel.

Huge apricot flavour places a wonderfully fruity imprint on anything. This beer tastes like summer in the south of France, and is all the better for it. There's certainly that quintessential Cantillon sourness, but its moderated by a delicate sweetness and this seems the most balanced of the three brews we had tonight. There's also a light funk, but its far lighter than the Lou Pepes. In a way, this is a far simpler beer, but i think better for it, and its hard for me to fault the flavour. The same applies to the body, which alternates between light and slick, but never becomes any less than refreshing.

This may well me my favourite fruit lambic - it transports me to a different place and whispers softly in my ear. A treat that I need to get more of! (1,173 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: Nice soft pour, couple inches of foam, no real lacing. Looks like soft apricots and hazy sunshine.

Smell: Best part of the beer, fresh apricots with a bit of sour/tart.

Taste: Great dichotomy between the sweet apricot on the bouquet and the biting acidity on the tongue, followed by apricot again on the finish. Has a nice, light, earthy horse blanket funk. There should be a rating for presentation. Very sour. Slightly chalky.

Mouthfeel: Soft, light but perfectly carbonated. I am always thankful for these low ABV sours.

Drinkability: High, this is now one of my favorite cantillons, right behind Blaeber (623 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +8.7%

Bottled 8/09, consumed 5 months later. This is my first Cantillon beer, I'm excited to try it.

Pours with a finger of white head over a murky golden orange body. A quarter inch of foam sticks around begging to be swallowed away.

I can smell funk from 2 feet way. Sticking my nose closer, I actually get a bit more citrus fruit than I do tart funkiness (though it is definitely still there). Very appetizing, like apricot or peach flavored candy. Some light band aid and cobweb. Notes of white grapes, banana peel, and sunflowers. I can barely take my nose out of the glass.

Oh wow, the taste caught me off guard. Didn't catch too much acidity in the nose but the taste is another story. Puckering like someone just dumped sour powdered candy on my tongue. Rich, luscious fruit flavor underneath. Apricots, peaches, grapes, apples. After a few swallows the acid begins to become less surprising, and the deep funkiness underneath peeks through. I'm think I'm swallowing dirty gym socks. I feel like I just took a deep breath while changing my vacuum filter. But then that juicy citrus flavor comes rushing back with each sip temporarily wiping it all away...until it returns in the finish. My senses are stretched to their limits with the complexity of this wonderful liquid. As I swish it around my mouth before swallowing I am then greeted by the most pleasant, longest finish in my recent beer drinking memory.

Body is medium, perhaps medium/full for the style. Good levels of carbonation. Very dry, but enough citrus character sticks around to make for a long finish.

This glass is disappearing quickly, but the overall palate and sense destroying nature of it would make me want to limit my intake. Still, seriously drinkable for the style. (1,749 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a thin layer of froth with some interesting floaters seen when held to light.

S: Hit with a wave of funk and apricots right from the pour! As I dig a little deeper I am finding some sweet fruit (not just apricot) nicely melding with a barnyard must. Still not sure how I enjoy that smell, but I do!

T: In a word, outstanding. The blend of the sour and then sweet fruit along with the oak and bit of vinegar is just right.

M: Light to medium mouth feel with slightly more carbonation that I anticipated from the pour. Finish a bit dry.

D: Really enjoying this one but it is a sipper. (616 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%

On tap at Capones...
Appears a hazy, light gold with a orange tinge when held to the light. A small white head floats atop the glass before slowly fading away into a tiny cap and leaving streaks/spots all around the glass.
Smell is of obvious apricots, peaches, nectarines, vanilla, tart notes of vinegar and funky hints of horseblanket,and perhaps a hint of passion fruit/mango blend.
Taste is of the aromas with more of an acidic presence making itself known in the form of soured peaches and green apple.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, tart, making one salivate...but easy drinking and perhaps even refreshing if given the proper setting. (637 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +3.8%

08 on draft at Capones.

A: Pale, hazy amber-orange body. Tight, compact head with decent retention before crashing into a spotty skim. Sporadic lacing left behind on the sides of the glasses.

S: Light, bright fruits. Apricots and peaches. Nice earthy tartness.

T: Reved up version of the nose. Potent tart apricots up front, sweet ripening peaches in the back end. Earthy, with a nice lactic punch.

M: Good weight to balance the semi-sweet/tart flavorings. A bit more slick than I'd like. Puckering feel lingers for a bit after each sip.

D: Pretty impressive offering from Cantillon. The flavor really carries the day despite some flaws in the mouthfeel department. (671 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +0.2%

on tap at monks
Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white lace.

The aroma is full of sharp tart apple with hints of dry fruit peel.

The flavor begins with sharp acidity blending with a carbonic bite. The sourness gives way to a light fruit flavor and then the acids take over and the finish remains tart.

Very drinkable the tartness dosent overwhelm and the beer is very refreshing.

Overall I found this beer to be an excellent pairing with monks pomme frites. (464 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again. (1,766 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap at Monk's

A: Pours a nice bright orange hue with a touch of fizz that never really managed much of a head. No real retention or lace.

S: Wow I liked this beer in the bottle love it on draft. Wonderful aromas of dried apricots. There is a big sour acidic aroma as well. Lots of leather and citrus, mildly earthy.

T: Love in a glass. Tons of earthy apricot with a nice level of tartness. Lightly acidic with strong citrus notes and peach pits. Really is a joy to drink.

M: On the lighter side of medium, somewhat dry finish.

D: Good, this one was served in a small proper cantillon glass. I could easily sit back and enjoy an entire bottle though. One of my favorite sours. (683 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle very generously shared by PWoods. Thanks mang!

Pours a very hazy, cloudy light orange in color. There's a nice half inch of white head forming on the pour.
The smell is pungent. Almost to the point of being off-putting. Stanky gym socks, old cheese, and a little bit of earthy skunkyness. The smell is so strong, you begin to question whether or not you want to take a sip of this thing.
Taste is incredible. Very sour/tart. Lip puckering sourness. Very nice apricot and light fruit flavors. Absolutely wonderful.
After time, the smell starts to come around and become much more approachable.
Very puckering tart in the mouthfeel, with the perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is absolutely amazing. I couldn't help but to think how much this compares to Isabelle Proximus with each sip I took.
I'll definitely be buying some of these bottles to throw in the basement. Outstanding. (893 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

2009 Vintage

A: Pours a quarter inch of white head on top of a pale gold and cloudy beer. The head does not hold very well but i does leave good lace.

S: Very nice apricot and peach aroma prevades. The aroma is very delicate with a nice sweetness and a mild bit of funk to finish.

T: Tart apricot and peaches followed by a bit of vinegar. There is a bit of brettiness to it, but it is more on the mild side. I really enjoy the fruitiness of this, but the vinegar detracts slightly from my enjoyment. Some nice wood notes are present and add an earth and dry quality to the beer

M: The vinegar is slightly more than I would have like but the level of flavor is excellent. LIke all cantillon beers, the tiniest sip goes quite a long way

D: A great beer that is best shared with others but I will enjoy a few glasses for myself. A few more years on this beer will do wonders (877 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a corked and capped 750ml bottle, once it's popped it exudes a crazy amount of funk sour scent. Poured from a bottle into a Portsmouth Tulip. The pour yields an effervescent straw body with a nice glow around the edges. The head is a bone white frothy two finger affair that bubbles for several minutes.

The smell is funky sour musty cheesy lemon zest with the slightest touch of sweet fruits. Once the beer warms the apricot scent is evident, as well as some definite barrel characteristics.

The taste is tart sour lemons up front that push the boundaries of the taste buds. There is a healthy dose of musty bleu cheese funk and as the beer warms the apricot flavors really come out. Throughout the taste there is a nice oaky-woody backing that supports and balances the flavors.

The beer is light and crisp with a nice dry finish that makes it incredibly drinkable. The flavor is sharply sour, but the finish is dry and compliments the flavors well. (962 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

750ml corked and capped bottle purchase at the Charleston Beer Exchange. 2009 vintage, I believe.

A: Pale golden color with 3 finger white head. Lots of murky stuff in there. You can really tell this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered.
S: Funk! Vinegar and sour fruits come out first. This is followed by a nice apricot aroma. The last thing you smell is almost wrong (dirty diaper).
T: Sour apricots with more vinegar. Nice touch of brett in the aftertaste.
M: Very sour, though not quite on the level of St Lamvinus. Tart and bubbly on the tongue. Very nice and dry.
D: I am not going to kid myself here. It is a wonderful beer and it covers everything a true lambic should be. However, drinking a whole bottle would likely destroy my stomach. Not perfect, but still pretty close.

This was another wonderful beer from Cantillon. They are still one of the top breweries in the world, in my opinion. (903 characters)

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon