Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,184 | Reviews: 462

It has been 6 or more months since I've had this...but it still haunts my memories of what great Cantillon can be. For sure this is not one to age. I've learned...I'll be drinking my next bottle days after I have it home and the sediment has settled. If you can buy it...YOU'RE DAMN LUCKY.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

4.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer multiple times during the last 2 – 3 years both draft & bottled. I have bought a case of it at some point. I must say that I am a bit puzzled by the American interest in this beer because age does not benefit this beer as is the case with quite a few of Cantillon fruit beers. Nowhere is freshness such a big factor as it is with Fou’ Foune. The fresher you drink this beer, the better. Fou’ Foune is at its peak during the 6 weeks after bottling, max. maybe 9. After that it is pretty level for most of its life span af far as I can see. It has a low point 6 months in or so, improves slightly after a year or so and stays level afterwards.

It is a good beer once it has peaked but it is for me personally bit of a downer compared to how ridiculously good it is fresh.

Review for a fresh bottle (75 cl.) @ brewery:

A: murky yellow apricot colour with a slight orange hue and a super firm lambic-styled head which doesn’t even vanish after you have finished your glass.

S: ridiculous, pure apricots, slightly mashed super juicy apricots, ripe and within seasons, the kind that are impeccable.

T: this tastes basically like a glass of apricot compote but even better than compote is, fresh there is no “complexity” in this but who needs complexity when your beer tastes this good? Also getting some slight yeast, slight flour-like feeling, smallest hints of barnyard and lemon (smallest hint). No tartness and no real sourness to speak of, this is almost real fruit sugars sweet.

B: luckily not too much carb. full juice and slight touch of flour body.

2012 one was way better fresh than the 2011 one, great harvest I assume?
By better I mean 2011 was nice, 2012 was mind-blowing.

Not sure about the score, fresh 2011 was around 4.6 – 4.7.
Fresh 2012 was almost 5. Aged ones were around 4.1 – 4.4.
Going to calculate mainly the fresh ones give it around a 4.8.

3.5/5  rDev -24.6%

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Cantillon Fou Foune
750mL bottle into a Teku
bottled on: 18 August 2011

A huge thanks for Sc0pey for the generous trade. And to think he came all the way across the pond to trade this one to me!

A: Pours a hazy golden yellow-orange with 2.5 fingers width of bright white head. Head dissipates down fairly slowly, but leaves effectively zero lacing.

S: Nose is apricot flesh, sour citrus, oak, vanilla, tart lactic acidity, and faint notes of funk. Good mix of sweet and tart, but neither is dominant. Smells incredible though, especially as it warms.

T: Hugely sour right from the start, much moreso than the nose implied. There is an almost burnt plastic like funk character that is prominent at first but quickly give way to the lactic tartness. The tartness is puckering, and builds significantly throughout the drink. Big sour lemon, like a Lemonhead or lemon flavored warhead. A really nice aftertaste of apricot and oaky vanilla lingers forever in the aftertaste. Excellent.

M/D: Medium body, carbonation on the heavier end, puckering mouthfeel from the sourness, dry on the finish. Drinkability is very good.

O: Overall, an excellent drinking experience. This is only the second Cantillon Ive had to date, the first being St. Lamvinus. If I had to choose a preference, Id probably go with St. Lamvinus over this one, but no doubt that both are absolutely excellent. Highly recommend.

4.81/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

the great and mighty fou foune, I finally found one. at a hole in the wall called novare res in downtown Portland, maine. this was on the last page of an incredible beer list. I ordered one and was told they were out. I threw a fit like a baby, said id driven 600 hundred miles to get one, and she said she would be right back. she offered me a 2005 lou pepe instead, but I just couldn't switch gears that quick. after sitting there debating what to do for a few minutes, the manager or owner emerged with a bottle of fou foune for me, all dusty and looking very much like something special. they chilled it for a few minutes, before serving it up in a very cool old mail bin with two cantillon wine glass type containers. the beer pours faded orange in color, rustic looking, cloudy, with a white head like fine champagne, rising and receding to about an inch. the smell is just mental, lots and lots of acid here, a fine lambic is the base. lacto and lemon, tart and funky. the apricots seem to add a floral element, a fruity sweetness to balance the sour, but I don't distinctly get apricots just by smelling it. it has the interesting effect of making my mouth water for every tasty treat ive ever had all at once. im watering like blue razz blowpops, sour nerds rope, lemon shaved ice, and porterhouse steak all at once. this sensation alone makes this beer a 5 out of 5 overall. nothing in the beer or culinary world has ever had this effect on my palate, and ive been around both a few times. the taste is very impressive, again, a mellow but distinct lambic as its base, I start to taste the apricots. they have a gentle fuzzy feel and flavor, like licking the outside of one. there is a sweetness there, but the juicy character of the fruit and pulpy morning time flavor profile are not dominant. what is dominant is the yeast. the best of lambic, tart and dry as any beer ive consumed. its acidic, and the lower the bottle gets and the warmer it gets, the more this is pronounced. my last yeasty sip is impossibly sour, putting hair on my chest to say the least. its dry on the palate after an insanely effervescent carbonation experience, but I taste the beer for miles and miles after the swallow. not sure ill have another beer again for awhile (yeah right). this is a one of a kind brew, an art form really, and worth all of the accolades its received and then some. nothing like it on the planet, and easily the best 50 bucks I have spent in awhile. not sure lambic will ever be the same...

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750ml

2006 Vintage

My man Lum sent me a couple of these since I haven't found any '06 bottles around here for a long time, thanks P! The body on this lambic is fairly light with hazy apricot being the dominant color but turning to a more milky lemon when backlit. The super white head grows to a finger in height easily with that snap, crackle, pop that goes along with a healthy carbonation. Drink lines remain after each sip and slowly slide back into the body.

Fou' Foune proudly shows off one of the most amazing aromas I've come across in a beer of any style. The signature Cantillon funkiness jumps from the glass but is quickly met with a noseful of sensation stimulating tart and ripe apricots. The apricot is so vivid and in your face I can nearly feel the juice dripping down my chin. Damp, decaying wood and wet rock brings up the rear and rounds out this delicious concoction. The Cantillon funk, lactic sourness, and apricot create an aroma that's unlike any other and instantly makes my mouth water.

The flavor can't quite reach the heights the nose did but that would be nearly impossible. Bracingly sour Cantillon funkiness hits the tongue first before the tart apricots makes their way through. Dry woodiness brings up the rear and lactic sourness bathes the tongue. The acidity hits immediately along with the sourness. After a few drinks I get used to the sour and the flavors open even more. Slight mustiness and earthy qualities swim throughout each drink. This is some delicious lambic.

The body is light, the carbonation is lively and the sourness is enough to cause a pucker with each drink. The carbonation isn't prickly but does manage to scrub the tongue. The finish is slightly dry but not to the extent of the Sahara.

The drinkability on this lambic is off the charts. When I get used to the bracing sourness it's hard for me to set the glass down. Each drink is so delicious and refreshing that I instantly look forward to the next.

Dyan shared a bottle of this with me a few months ago and it absolutely blew my mind. Fou Foune is one of the best lambics on the planet and one of my favorite beers at the moment. If you are anywhere near this beer pick it up, more than one would be ideal. Thanks for the bottles, Lum!

4.51/5  rDev -2.8%

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

4.5/5  rDev -3%

4.5/5  rDev -3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon