Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Wants: 2,221
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Apricot Lambic

(Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros

heddar33, Mar 02, 2012

LockeSD, Mar 01, 2012
4.55/5  rDev -1.7%

A: murky, golden, and buggy. Buggy beers have a look like they are watery but thick I think it's the attenuation.

S: Cantillion brings on the funk, there is the classic funk scent, acidic, and buggy. Also in the nose is the flesh fruits, but without the sweetness.

T: Funky, with the peach flavor but not sweetness. The funk is cantillion, but the fruit is more present than in the cantillion kriek, or framboise.

M: thin and dry, highly attenuated by the funk.

O: Great! the best cantillion so far.

Donerik, Mar 01, 2012
4.78/5  rDev +3.2%

This was… dare I say, a milestone in my beer education—and I owe thanks to the good people at Jester King for making it possible.

I’m not even sure ‘hype’ is the right word to use when talking about cantillons, because they’re not lumped in with what I think of as other rarities, or those special bottle releases that people (myself included) are willing to line up for. Perhaps reverence? Respect? Certainly curiosity. I was aware that cantillons aren’t commonplace—I had never seen one before, let alone tried one—but when I got in line I had no idea that this was going to be the mystery keg they were tapping. Chalk that one up to being lucky, I guess, because once word spread the line grew exponentially. And I can totally understand why.

This poured a slightly cloudy orange yellow in color, with a great apricot aroma and noticeable tartness, even from the aroma. Simply amazing. There’s a big effervescence to this that lets the flavors dance across the tongue. The apricot floral-fruitiness is subdued, but its present and tasty. It’s tart, with a lingering, dry finish and a touch of sweetness like a firework going off. Half a pour wasn’t enough but its more than many had. Can’t wait to have another!

elNopalero, Feb 28, 2012

PuFtonLyfe, Feb 26, 2012

jag21, Feb 21, 2012

brewinglawyer, Feb 21, 2012
4.05/5  rDev -12.5%

Review #300

Had on tap at Local Option during their Occupy the Local Option. Served in a mini-snifter.

A: Pours a hazy golden color with dreamsicle like hues intertwined. The head is bubbly, airy and bone white in color. It recedes to a thick collar and leaves some splotchy lace.

S: Musty, earthy and funky in nature. There is a light apricot tartness and some under ripe apple skin as well.

T: Subtle apricot flesh with a funky, barnyard like flavor. There is a mild tartness that is coupled with an oak and vanilla like sweetness on the finish.

M: Creamy up front with a drying, tannic finish. Spritzy carbonaton and a light body makes for a nice drinking brew.

O: The flavors seemed slightly muted overall and it didn't wow me like I thought it would. It was still an above average lambic, but I expected more fruity flesh and a little more tartness.

Treebs, Feb 20, 2012

mdillon86, Feb 19, 2012

pgaveau, Feb 18, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 18, 2012

cld253, Feb 18, 2012
4.33/5  rDev -6.5%

On tap at the Beer Revolution Anniversary. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head that settles to a ring and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is big apricot, some lemon funkiness, lactic, along with a bit of sweetness. The taste is tart with a bit of initial sweetness. Lots of apricot, tart lemon, signature Cantillon funkiness. Finish is tart. Medium body. Low carbonation. The fruit is really prominent here, more so than in other Cantillon lambics. It also has a bit more sweetness than other Cantillons, but certainly not too much.

jethrodium, Feb 15, 2012
4.98/5  rDev +7.6%

2010 Bottle thanks to the Texas Crew from the Gang Bang BIF

A golden, hazy yellow reminiscent of the apricots that were used to make the beer, with a constant stream of tiny bubbles

Lots of ripe apricot with light funk in the nose. The perfume from the fruit is intoxicating when mixed with the sharp acidic peach, lemon and tart flavors, light metallic notes, and damp musty hay.

This is one of my favorite beers, by far the best in the Cantillon line for me. The balance of juicy fragrant fruit and expressive lambic in this beer is what other makers of fruited wild beers should strive to emulate. The best quality

Soonami, Feb 12, 2012
4.6/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Adam, for the opportunity!

750ml bottle, bottled Aug 25, 2011.

It's pouring a cloudy yellow orange with a firm 2 finger head of foam. The lacing left behind is very impressive.

It smells very yeasty, fruity, sourish, funky, a very incredible aroma. There's no way that the taste can live up to the smell. No way.

And then...the taste. Apricots bring a light sweet flavour almost immediately over taken but tart and bitter fruit sensations. I note a yeasty and light funkiness here too. I find the fruity bitterness a bit surprising but more than welcome and the tart notes are done near perfection. My oh my, this is so damn good and drinkable. 5%abv helps make it so.

I wondered what the French/Belgian word for apricot was and it turned out to be abricot. Not as "interesting" as like names for cherry, raspberry, or peach so I reckon Fou' Foune will do nicely. ;^)

With plenty of carbonation and a lightish body, the mouthfeel is just right. This really is a fine drinking experience. I'm glad I got a chance to try it!!

Bitterbill, Feb 12, 2012
4.5/5  rDev -2.8%

I've had this a couple of times recently ... reviewed from 2 sets of paper notes.. Thanks to inflatablechair and alehousedave ... Very cool fellas.. Thanks Sammy and Dave!! I truly appreciate it.

Pours a hazed golden with nice white lacing and decent retention.

The nose is amazing... I could smell a goblet all night and never complain.. bright fruit and the expected Cantillon funk.. lactic and dry lemon and white wine barrel goodness... fantastic.

Flavor is lemony and tart... the apricots come out swinging mid palate and dry out immediately leaving a long funky fruity finish.. dirty brett and dank basement funk... antique books (yep, I've tasted the paper... you should too) the fruits are the main player at the end of the day.

Loving the spritzy carbonation with a still light/medium body... fruity lambic done right.... I believe the apricot pulp adds some body that makes it a touch heavier and enjoyable.

I can't... CAN NOT believe that I've passed on Fou Foune over the years.... I am a moron... that said, I am happy to have friends who are smarter than I am. Sam and Dave are good folks for sure.

3.5/5/4.5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Feb 12, 2012

gueuzegossage, Feb 09, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a hazy, peachy gold with a creamy white mousse that lingers forever.

S: Aromas of must, vinegar, barnyard funk, and ripe apricots assault the nose. This smells the way an authentic fruit lambic should, with a ton of wild yeast and fruit up front.

T: Notes of must, vinegar, minerals, straw, barnyard funk, and salty brine are chased by gorgeous flavors of ripe apricot and lemon. The finish is long and puckering with a ton of apricot, vinegar, and barnyard flavor.

M: Medium-bodied, extremely dry, and supple. Carbonation is much more active than I expected it to be, yet this beer remains very drinkable.

O: This is an excellent fruit lambic, and perhaps one of the best beers of any type that I've ever had. Fou'foune is an experience not to miss. I can't recommend it highly enough.

mrfrancis, Feb 09, 2012

huadog, Feb 09, 2012

Jspriest, Feb 08, 2012

texasclimber, Feb 07, 2012

heff316, Feb 07, 2012

joey5cents, Feb 06, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -23.8%

A handpull at Teresa's Next Door. (That sounds odd, now that i think about it)

Just like Iris, Fou Foune poured expertly off the handpump, I was greeted by half a glass of orangeish gold liquid with the top of the glass full of white foam. It settled out nicely with nice retention and minor stick.

Unlike last years Fou Foune cask serving at the same venue (and possibly the same vintage), this smelled way off. I got baby powder and old feet and a plastic scent. Hardly any apricot until the end of the glass. I know each vintage is different, but I did not warm up to this.

The taste brings it back. Not getting any of that old Cantillon scent, im pleased with the nice acidic sourness and apricot with some old musky barnyard thrown in. Some oak with warming and old cheese taste at the end. Last year, this stuff rocked, if this is the same vintage as that, it's fallen off, and that's just my opinion on this vintage, I know what this beer can be.

Feel is very light bodied and nicely carbed up. A nice amount of sourness hits the gullet, yet not extreme. While I really enjoyed this, I could not get another glass, I went with Iris instead. I really want to try a fresh bottle of fou foune and make a solid decision on it.

BARFLYB, Feb 06, 2012
4.2/5  rDev -9.3%

Thanks to Alex for this bottle. 2010 cork, out of my Lost Abbey stemware.

A- A very bright golden peachy color. A nice foamy white head, retains a ring around the edge for what seems like forever.

S- Pungent sour and funk, touches of lemon and apricot skins. Some vinegar and tannic scents, very strong.

T- The biting sourness hits almost instantly, very dry and fruity, lemon, peach, apricot. There is some vinegar sourness, just crazy funky.

M- A little bubbly at times, but pretty much perfect for the style. This is a total palate wrecker though, just so soury.

O- Overall, if you like sours this is one of the better Cantillons I've had. I found the fruit to be quite pronounced, and prevalent. A very dry and sour beer.

-GFunk