Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,350 | Reviews: 485
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from notes 9/11/10. Bottle poured into a snifter. We sampled both the 05 and the 09 this night, however I will be reveiwing the 09.

A: Cloudy orange color. The pour dropped a big off white head the hung around and left tons of sticky lace.

A: Big apricot and sour notes. Lots of citrus, lemon, orange, and apricot. I get some floral, spicey notes as well.

T: Sour apricots all the way. This one is a puckerer. Not nearly as sour as the 05, but for my tastes, just right.

M: Light body, high carbonation. A little sharp, but on par for the style.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is pretty average. The sourness destroys the palate, so it makes having more than one a bit of a chore. Overall, a very good brew, not in my top 10 sours, but very solid. Skal.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Hill Farmstead Winter Festival.

Big, puffy, foamy, white head. Hazy, straw color. Laces glass the entire drinking experience.

A - Apricot is immediately evident, but subtle and pleasant. Expected funk mixes wonderfully with must and just a touch of bite.

T - Pleasantly tart apricots and fresh bitterness on the finish. Wonderfully balanced blend of funk and sharpness.

M - Just the right amount of body that balances with good carbonation and sourness.

D- Entirely too drinkable, frankly. Truly excellent.

4.07/5  rDev -12.3%

This lambic pours a mild yellow color with a thin head.

Apple and cherry notes greet the nose, followed by a good amount of funk. When I say a good amount, I mean that it doesn't overwhelm the olfactory gland.

The taste is full of sourness, bursting with cherry essence. It's not a "fruity" lambic per se.

Not much to "feel" at the back of the throat. The funk is restrained, which may turn off true fans of the style.

This is truly a balanced and highly enjoyable lambic. It's also somewhat rare around these parts.

4.5/5  rDev -3%

On-tap at the Hill Farmstead Winter Festival.

Pours with a huge, foamy, white head. The body is a cloudy, straw, yellowish-orange. Beautiful lacing coats the entire glass.

Cantillon funk, hay and light barnyard on the nose. Apricot, peach and clementine sourness fills the nostrils. Lots musty hay funk with a little more bitterness than what I remember from the bottled version.

Hay, apricots and some grassy bitterness on the finish. Again, slightly more bitter than the bottle. Tastes fresher overall. Apricot and peach sourness throughout. A great and balanced blend of funk and acidity.

The body has some good weight to it with lively carbonation and a delicious level of sourness. Feels somewhat slick. Quite good for a fruit lambic.

Drinkability is great like usual. Nice sourness with a good helping of fruit and funk. This on-tap version seemed to have some extra grassy bitterness to it, which I liked quite a bit. It helped to bring out some of the earthier and more floral aspects of the beer. Anyways, I hope I get to see this beer on-tap again some day. Excellent stuff.

This is my first review on BA. I waited quite some time before I decided to start reviewing beer. I waited until I had a better trained pallet and understanding of beer, so enough about me lets talk about this wonderful delight known as Fou Foune. I shared a 2010 with Shades Of Gray who so graciously opened my eyes to many Cantillons. First the look of this beer was very appetizing. Its an burnt orange-ish color and leaves a very nice head, full of lacing. Smell is very fruity, definitely strong apricot notes and some funk. Taste, WOW, I'm blown away. Very tart (as to be expected). Just a perfect mesh of carbonation, tart, apricot, and some what earthy in a very good way. The only bad thing I can say about this beer is it left me wanting more. Extremely quenching to the taste buds. . Again Big thanks to Shades Of Gray.

4.54/5  rDev -2.2%

750mL, bottled August 2010. No foil, though my label has some sort of red flower on the right side of the artwork, unlike the picture above.

Pours a hazy, peachy blonde with a small foamy head. Retains at a scant white layer, though it clings well to the glass.

The nose is something to behold. Very tart and vinous up-front, with a wild earthiness to it. At the very end there is a wonderful, aromatic apricot note.

Like every Cantillon, this is a puckering sour, though not as much as some of the brewery's other offerings. Lots of acidic, Vitamin-C tartness at first. Unlike some of the other fruit lambics from Cantillon, I can really taste the fruit here, and it's fantastic. Brightly fruity with wild strawberry, sour apple and, of course, juicy apricot. Bitter, rindy and funky fruit-skin notes throughout wear on the palate a bit, but it's still a refreshing brew. This is pretty much as smooth as Cantillon can be. The mouthfeel is light with soft and spritzy carbonation.

About as drinkable as Cantillon gets, in my limited experience. For this, the aroma, fruit flavor and uniqueness of being an apricot Lambic, Fou' Foune receives very high marks.

Notes: This beer got better and more fruity as it warmed, so I would recommend drinking it at cellar temp., at least. Room temp. might be even more beneficial.

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%

2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger frothy white head that never really dissipates and gives me a creamy mustache every time I take a sip. Beer is a clear goldenrod with a slight shade of faded orange. Lacing is near non-existant with patches that cling here and there.

S: Nose is mindblowingly funky. Hints of barnyard, straw, tart apricot, cobwebs, must. Tickles the nose throughout.

T: Opens very tart, puckering lemon and citrus with overtones of Brett funk. Apricot sourness sneaks in at the middle and takes this one to another level. Funkiness intensifies tremendously at the back end and towards the finish as it dries the mouth. Moth balls, cobwebs, and bandaid right at the end just before a clean finish and a brief, fruity, apricot finish.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Lively and prickly in the mouth at the start, dry towards the middle, and oily and slick at the end. Finish is clean with a non-lingering aftertaste.

D: I've experienced one or two offerings in my time so far that have redefined what I thought beer could be and how incredible it could taste. There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of those offerings. It's a beer that I'm almost scared to finish for fear of not know when it'll grace my lips again. Worth all the accolades it receives. A once in a lifetime drink.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a golden orange honestly it is the color of an apricot. The beer has a big head that leaves some lace. The aroma is lots of barn-yardiness, but with a lot of apricot fruitiness in there as well with some both clean and dirty laundry. The flavor smacks you in the face right away with apricot, fresh, delicious apricots. The beer is very very sour. It's also really dry with a dryness akin to say a brut. The fruitiness continues with some lemon rind earthy on sour notes. Dominantly this beer is packed with sourness and apricot flavor. The palate is fizzy but remarkably full and easy to drink. Just one damn fine beer.

4.39/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottled August 2008

A - Fou' Foune pours a medium gold with just a little haze. The eggshell head is average, coming to about a finger deep or maybe a little over. Lacing is on the minimal side. Carbonation appears to be fairly active. Not bad overall but I'd like to see a couple minor tweaks in this area.

S - It's kind of funky and tart up front. Hay and (what I assume is) pine really come through quick and hard followed by a healthy dose of old oak. Fruit is much lighter than expected. It mostly resembles peaches and oranges. More oak shows at the very end. One word sums it up nicely: pleasant..

T - Mouth puckeringly tart lemon flavor really takes over at first. Thankfully, it tames quickly. Old wood and barn flavors shine brightly midway. Fruit is more noticeable in the flavor than the aroma. Ahhh, there is the apricot. And it has notes of light berry too? Finishes with cured tobacco that works very nicely with the other woodsy flavors.

M - Lighter bodied with a medium carbonation going on. Finish is dry and tart just as I expected.

D - Drinkability is quite good for Fou' Foune. Even though I'm not an apricot fan, this is still a great brew. Apricot flavors are pretty mild overall which makes it work very well with my palate. The more it warms, the more it smooths out which adds another appealing dimension to this fine elixir. It encompasses all the great lambic qualities I've come to expect form the folks at Cantillon.

4.3/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

7/11/2010:

-- popped and poured -
-- tasted non-blind over a couple hours, and again on Day 3 -
-- bottled on Aug. 13, 2009 --

NOSE: classic gueuze nose - until the apricots start to step forward from the background; sour wet oak; nectar; complex; moderately expressive; oxidative note on Day 3.

BODY: hazy tan-orange color; little head; medium bodied

TASTE: very sour, with spices and oak; puckering acidity; lemon; really nice, although I would prefer a more mellow version; still very sour on Day 3; 5% alc.. This bottling features 2-year-old lambic which is then finished with fresh apricots for its final two months of aging in oak barrels.

B: 50, 5, 14, 17, 9 = 95

4.02/5  rDev -13.4%

Rate from 2009.

2009 bottle served in a white wine glass at room temp. Pours a nice, slight thick orange-gold with a thin ring of white bubbles persisting. Beautiful nose full of peaches, apricots, slight funky brett. Really round in the nose. Like most Cantillon, it's fairly bracing and hard in the mouth. Really big peach, apricot presence. Full and round, vinous and white wine like. The fruit is great at this age, but a hard, slightly metallic age tells me this one would likely get better with some years on it. Very enjoyable, kinda like a slightly more acidic Duck Duck Gooze.

4.35/5  rDev -6.3%

Huge thanks to csmiley for splitting the 750! I sadly traded mine away. You're the man, Chris!

Bottled in August, 2008.

Fou' Foune pours a yellowish-gold color. It's quite hazy, and has a distinct gold appearance when held to light. It's capped with a very modest white head. Carbonation looks active, but the head didn't quite rise to a finger in depth. Lacing was very, very light.

The nose is good. It kicks off with a very earthy, musky scent. It's rather prominent in the mix and lingers throughout. There's some light fruity notes. Smells mostly like lemon and peach or apricots. It's more of a secondary scent though. It certainly smells tart and a little vinegar-esque. Brett imparts a funky, barnyard scent. It's not very strong, but is effective. Oak really adds a lot of depth, and may just be the x-factor in this one. Alcohol is nowhere to be found.

The flavor is impressive. I'm debating on the score. It is very musky and earthy throughout. It also features just the right amount of funk in the mix. The Brett presence is best described as moderate. That's my preferred approach. It complements, rather than overwhelms, the other flavors. It is quite tart and sour. It's not quite mouth puckering, but it's close. Definitely a little vinegar-y. The fruity peach/apricot flavors are there, but are somewhat subtle. Oak adds a ton of character and depth. Alcohol is buried. It finishes musky, funky, and sour. I'm convinced...the flavor's earned its score.

Fou' Foune has a medium body that's incredibly svelte and smooth. Light carbonation definitely helps in that regard. It's definitely an authentic Belgian. No question. Drinkability is very high. This is a very tasty Lambic that goes down so smooth and easy. A 750 = no problem.

Cantillon makes incredible beer. While I don't believe this one will supplant St. Lamvinus as my favorite, it's not too far off. It's chock full of flavor, and is very deep and complex. It will challenge even the most sophisticated palate. If you happen to run across one of these, jump on the opportunity. It's worth at least one purchase...even with the steep price tag.

4.63/5  rDev -0.2%

I was blown away by this at Dstructo's recent mega sour tasting.

It poured like golden sun in my glass.

Apricot was apparent in the aroma, but not to the extent I thought. If I hadn't known better, I probably could have mistook it for any number of other Cantillons. That orchard fruit sourness, you can just tell you're in for it.

One of the best sours I have ever had. Intensely sour and dry, no doubt, but it didn't burn going down, it was not a difficult beer to drink. Plenty of apricot pith on the palate.

Paired *exquisitely* well with triple-creme cheeses. Not only one of the best sours I've ever had, probably the best beer + cheese pairing I've ever had.

4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

My review is of a fresh 2010 bottle, but I recently had a 2008 which I enjoyed more.

Pours 1/4 finger of white head. Color is a hazy straw golden yellow. Kind of peach colored.

Aroma: Sweet apricots, funky barnyard flavors, straw. It is a bit muted. Some light acidic flavors and lemon citrus as well.

Taste: More sour notes here. Sharp lemons, apricots, horseblanket, funk, barnyard notes, and some acidity.

Mouthfeel: Sour and funky. Lighter bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. Ends clean.

Overall, a very drinkable sour beer. A bit weak of aroma, but what is there is nice. Fairly sweet. I could drink a lot of this one.

4.1/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle. 2008 vintage. Pours a slightly hazed orange amber color with a slight white head that collars around the glass. The aroma is awesome with definite ntoes of apricot along with some acidity and funkiness. Light mouthfeel with some good carbonation. The taste is really nice with a balance of fruit notes (apricot, grapefruit) and sour acidity. This one does leaves you puckering a bit but not overly so. Overall, a really good beer and one I am glad I got to try.

3.99/5  rDev -14%

750 ml split by sfoley333, thanks Sean. From a 2004 vintage, on to the beer:

This is an orange colored beer with a short lived, head, but like most sours, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of head. The nose is big and sour, really sour. There's a small trace of the apricot to liven things up. Like a lot of Cantillon's, this could become interesting.

VERY puckering in the mouth. I get small hints of apricot and tons of acidity, enough to rip away the enamel on your teeth. As the beer dries, a cheese aftertaste is left with the puckering sourness. I was puckering a lot as I drank more and more of Fou' Foune, but I still liked it overall.

4.32/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to the man Sean9689, for busting out an '05 vintage for my first Fou' Foune experience at our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - Golden colored beer with a pretty big white head. Some random lacing on the sides with a nice bit of stick for a lambic.

S - Exceptionaly tart, this is one of the more tart things I've ever smelled. Some lemon and a nice bit of of super sour apricots. The funk is appropriate, but complimentary.

T - Mouth puckeringly sour. The apricot is present, but it is so sour you have to really look for it. It is fantastic, but the ridiculous sournness makes it a sipper. Little bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation.

D - Love this, but it's not like you can session it without burning out your taste buds. Great stuff though, want to have it again.

4.35/5  rDev -6.3%

Reviewed from my tasting notes of a decent sized sample I consumed at an epic tasting event held with the members of the SMBDC. The bottle we shared was from 2009.

Big white foam head as the beer is poured and handed to me. It settled and got smaller until it entirely disappeared. The liquid was opaque and appeared glowing yellow in color.

The nose is not too sour, which surprised me. What did surprise were the aromas of dried apricots.

There is little sweetness to the flavor, but a lot of apricot. The finish is dry and sour. The coat is sweet and fruity but not oppressive. It is a very drinkable beer. Another fine Cantillon product. I wish I had more of it.

4.57/5  rDev -1.5%

750ml bottles of a 05 and a 09. I am reviewing them both, but I'm scoring the 05. A huge thanks to Don for hooking me up!!!

A- Both vintages pour a hazy pale yellow color. Both have a thin off white head with some spotty lacing.

A- The 05 is very sour smelling. Lemon and funk are present. The 09 is very less sour smelling. The apricot is detectable in the 09 but not even a hint is present in the 05. The 05 has a bit of vinegar in the nose.

T- As I was expecting, the 05 was extremely sour (one of the sourest I have ever had) with some barn yard funk and lemon. Very acidic and outright sour! Perfect for me. The more sour, the better.
The 09 is much more tame. The apricot is noticeable here. Still tart, but not even a fraction as sour as the 05. Still a little funky but not nearly as funky as the 05.

M- Both were medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. Both had a tart finish, the 05 was just 10x as tart.

D- The sourness and acidity will limit the drinkability for sure. However, I had a full bottle between us and I didn't have any problems. My taste buds were completely destroyed afterwards, but man did I ever love these brews. The 05 was better due to the intense sourness, but the 09 was definitely much more fruity.

750ml bottle poured into my cantillon glass .

A - Poured with a good white head which then dissipated over time to reveal a cloudy apricot colour liquid.

S - A funky sour smell . I get a nice apricot smell.

T- Insanely sour on the first sip but this really grows on you with each sip thereafter. I nearly cant taste any apricots because of the sourness

M - Very smooth mouthfeel that is very dry.

D - for me à little bit to sour , but its à awesome brew

4.15/5  rDev -10.6%

Great, clear golden colour with a small, white head. Solid.

Huge amounts of funk and sourness come through the aroma.

Wow. To my mind this is the most sour of the Cantillon lambics I've had so far. Intense acetic sourness comes through along with tons of funk. The apricots are muted and come through as a citric tartness and back note. Overall, it's quite tasty.

Medium-light body with high carbonation.

A tasty lambic but this is hugely sour.

4.37/5  rDev -5.8%

Another huge thanks to alcstradamus.

750mL poured into Chimay chalice. 2008 vintage.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw. No head whatsoever and no lacing. Just a little bit of sediment sitting at the bottom of my glass.

S- A bunch of barnyard funk. Some nice sour grapes. A little bit of dustiness and some citrus and apricot.

T- This beer is mouth puckering sour. Lots of barnyard funk. Big amounts of grapes and a little bit of lemon and apricot. Completely stellar brew.

M- Sour, very sour. Also very dry on the finish. Medium to thin bodied. This beer just is just so mouth puckering, I love it.

D- I don't know how much more than one glass I would want. It seems to be the perfect amount because of how sour it is. I can confidently say this is the most sour beer I have ever had.

4.18/5  rDev -9.9%

750ml corked and capped bottle. Poured a translucent, straw gold with a bright white, frothy/creamy head. Nose reveals apricots, grapefruit and cork. Taste is extremely salty - some apricot peaks out in the flavor profile; however, it is very much masked by the saltiness. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, refreshing carbonation and a semi-dry finish. Acidity lightly stimulates the salivary glands. This is delicious - extremely tasty and really quite refreshing This is one lambic I could drink all day. Probably my favorite Cantillon to date. Reminds me of Cascade's The Vine to some degree.

4.3/5  rDev -7.3%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 5% ABV, Bottled 25 August 2008.

Yet another big thanks to alcstradamus for supplying out tasting with crazy-ass brews like this one!

A - Totally hazy golden yellow beer that has a low off-white head. Poor retention is acceptable for how acidic it is. No lace is left over at all.

S - Wow. Manure for the first time ever. Barnyard funk with an interesting acidity that gets stronger with a swirl. The apricot is moderate to low in the aroma and somewhat lost to me. I would really, really love to have more of the fruitiness pull through in this one, but then again, it could be the age.

T - Insanely sour, it has just taken over the top spot of most sour beer I've ever had. Pure sour dryness overwhelms the palate like super-sour Fundip powder. Mild apricot pokes through with a huge barnyard funk. Again, I wish there was more fruit.

M - Holy sour Batman! This is crazy, super tart and sour with a crisp carbonation bite. Very light apricot sweetness lingers through the sour finish.

D - A bit of rot-gut ensues from the acidity in this beer. Great brew but it's a sipper and definitely best split a few ways I'd say. Thanks again Adam!

4.77/5  rDev +2.8%

Well review #500 derserves an epic beer. I would have to say this one fits the bill. Huge thanks to Adam for busting this one out for us.

Poured into my glass the beer is cloudy orange yellow gold. It looks like a cross between orange juice and apple cider. Minimal head with a small soapy lace ring.

The aroma is a fantastic mix of sour funky goodness and sweet peaches. Lots of barn yard aromas like hay, horse blanket, manure and old wet wood. The sweet side is filled with peach and lemon candy.

The flavor is a full on nuclear 50 megaton blast of mouth and asshole puckering sour. It reminds me of cry babies. Those were some sour mo fo's. Just like the candy the sour fades into a sweet finish making this a perfect balance and oh so drinkable.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Teeth crunching bone dry finish.

Overall I want to find cases of this stuff so I can drink it constantly. Thanks Adam for giving me the chance to finally try this one. Now I want more.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon