Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 470 | Hads: 2,411
3.99/5  rDev -10.9%

750 ml split by sfoley333, thanks Sean. From a 2004 vintage, on to the beer:

This is an orange colored beer with a short lived, head, but like most sours, I wasn't expecting a whole lot of head. The nose is big and sour, really sour. There's a small trace of the apricot to liven things up. Like a lot of Cantillon's, this could become interesting.

VERY puckering in the mouth. I get small hints of apricot and tons of acidity, enough to rip away the enamel on your teeth. As the beer dries, a cheese aftertaste is left with the puckering sourness. I was puckering a lot as I drank more and more of Fou' Foune, but I still liked it overall. (643 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Thanks to the man Sean9689, for busting out an '05 vintage for my first Fou' Foune experience at our Epic Chicago Tasting.

A - Golden colored beer with a pretty big white head. Some random lacing on the sides with a nice bit of stick for a lambic.

S - Exceptionaly tart, this is one of the more tart things I've ever smelled. Some lemon and a nice bit of of super sour apricots. The funk is appropriate, but complimentary.

T - Mouth puckeringly sour. The apricot is present, but it is so sour you have to really look for it. It is fantastic, but the ridiculous sournness makes it a sipper. Little bit of funk.

M - Medium bodied with some nice carbonation.

D - Love this, but it's not like you can session it without burning out your taste buds. Great stuff though, want to have it again. (792 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Reviewed from my tasting notes of a decent sized sample I consumed at an epic tasting event held with the members of the SMBDC. The bottle we shared was from 2009.

Big white foam head as the beer is poured and handed to me. It settled and got smaller until it entirely disappeared. The liquid was opaque and appeared glowing yellow in color.

The nose is not too sour, which surprised me. What did surprise were the aromas of dried apricots.

There is little sweetness to the flavor, but a lot of apricot. The finish is dry and sour. The coat is sweet and fruity but not oppressive. It is a very drinkable beer. Another fine Cantillon product. I wish I had more of it. (669 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%

750ml bottles of a 05 and a 09. I am reviewing them both, but I'm scoring the 05. A huge thanks to Don for hooking me up!!!

A- Both vintages pour a hazy pale yellow color. Both have a thin off white head with some spotty lacing.

A- The 05 is very sour smelling. Lemon and funk are present. The 09 is very less sour smelling. The apricot is detectable in the 09 but not even a hint is present in the 05. The 05 has a bit of vinegar in the nose.

T- As I was expecting, the 05 was extremely sour (one of the sourest I have ever had) with some barn yard funk and lemon. Very acidic and outright sour! Perfect for me. The more sour, the better.
The 09 is much more tame. The apricot is noticeable here. Still tart, but not even a fraction as sour as the 05. Still a little funky but not nearly as funky as the 05.

M- Both were medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. Both had a tart finish, the 05 was just 10x as tart.

D- The sourness and acidity will limit the drinkability for sure. However, I had a full bottle between us and I didn't have any problems. My taste buds were completely destroyed afterwards, but man did I ever love these brews. The 05 was better due to the intense sourness, but the 09 was definitely much more fruity. (1,232 characters)

750ml bottle poured into my cantillon glass .

A - Poured with a good white head which then dissipated over time to reveal a cloudy apricot colour liquid.

S - A funky sour smell . I get a nice apricot smell.

T- Insanely sour on the first sip but this really grows on you with each sip thereafter. I nearly cant taste any apricots because of the sourness

M - Very smooth mouthfeel that is very dry.

D - for me à little bit to sour , but its à awesome brew (461 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Great, clear golden colour with a small, white head. Solid.

Huge amounts of funk and sourness come through the aroma.

Wow. To my mind this is the most sour of the Cantillon lambics I've had so far. Intense acetic sourness comes through along with tons of funk. The apricots are muted and come through as a citric tartness and back note. Overall, it's quite tasty.

Medium-light body with high carbonation.

A tasty lambic but this is hugely sour. (449 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -2.5%

Another huge thanks to alcstradamus.

750mL poured into Chimay chalice. 2008 vintage.

A- Pours a hazy golden straw. No head whatsoever and no lacing. Just a little bit of sediment sitting at the bottom of my glass.

S- A bunch of barnyard funk. Some nice sour grapes. A little bit of dustiness and some citrus and apricot.

T- This beer is mouth puckering sour. Lots of barnyard funk. Big amounts of grapes and a little bit of lemon and apricot. Completely stellar brew.

M- Sour, very sour. Also very dry on the finish. Medium to thin bodied. This beer just is just so mouth puckering, I love it.

D- I don't know how much more than one glass I would want. It seems to be the perfect amount because of how sour it is. I can confidently say this is the most sour beer I have ever had. (786 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

750ml corked and capped bottle. Poured a translucent, straw gold with a bright white, frothy/creamy head. Nose reveals apricots, grapefruit and cork. Taste is extremely salty - some apricot peaks out in the flavor profile; however, it is very much masked by the saltiness. Mouthfeel is light in body with a lively, refreshing carbonation and a semi-dry finish. Acidity lightly stimulates the salivary glands. This is delicious - extremely tasty and really quite refreshing This is one lambic I could drink all day. Probably my favorite Cantillon to date. Reminds me of Cascade's The Vine to some degree. (603 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 5% ABV, Bottled 25 August 2008.

Yet another big thanks to alcstradamus for supplying out tasting with crazy-ass brews like this one!

A - Totally hazy golden yellow beer that has a low off-white head. Poor retention is acceptable for how acidic it is. No lace is left over at all.

S - Wow. Manure for the first time ever. Barnyard funk with an interesting acidity that gets stronger with a swirl. The apricot is moderate to low in the aroma and somewhat lost to me. I would really, really love to have more of the fruitiness pull through in this one, but then again, it could be the age.

T - Insanely sour, it has just taken over the top spot of most sour beer I've ever had. Pure sour dryness overwhelms the palate like super-sour Fundip powder. Mild apricot pokes through with a huge barnyard funk. Again, I wish there was more fruit.

M - Holy sour Batman! This is crazy, super tart and sour with a crisp carbonation bite. Very light apricot sweetness lingers through the sour finish.

D - A bit of rot-gut ensues from the acidity in this beer. Great brew but it's a sipper and definitely best split a few ways I'd say. Thanks again Adam! (1,195 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%

Well review #500 derserves an epic beer. I would have to say this one fits the bill. Huge thanks to Adam for busting this one out for us.

Poured into my glass the beer is cloudy orange yellow gold. It looks like a cross between orange juice and apple cider. Minimal head with a small soapy lace ring.

The aroma is a fantastic mix of sour funky goodness and sweet peaches. Lots of barn yard aromas like hay, horse blanket, manure and old wet wood. The sweet side is filled with peach and lemon candy.

The flavor is a full on nuclear 50 megaton blast of mouth and asshole puckering sour. It reminds me of cry babies. Those were some sour mo fo's. Just like the candy the sour fades into a sweet finish making this a perfect balance and oh so drinkable.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Teeth crunching bone dry finish.

Overall I want to find cases of this stuff so I can drink it constantly. Thanks Adam for giving me the chance to finally try this one. Now I want more. (984 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -8%

2009 750mL bottle. Thanks Arne.

~~~

Re-reviewed; my initial score was too low.

A: Pours a hazy straw body with short-lived off-white head. It leaves sticky suds everywhere as the cap vanishes.

S: Tart apricot (took me a while to figure this out, as I thought it was peaches but wasn't quite sure). Some sourness. It's mildly funky, with horse blanket and leather aromas.

T: Very vibrant apricot flavor. Lemon peel, grass, a hint of something musty. It's not particularly sour; it's tart, but the sourness is, well, balanced. Tannins (wood, apricot skins) in the finish. A dry, but not austere, finish.

M: Light-bodied, with sharp carbonation.

D: This beer grows on me more each time I have it. (706 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

Bottled in 2001. Opened in celebration of bring leaving California. Thanks, Barry. Had I known you were saving this for your farewell party I would have helped you search for houses myself.

Hands down the finest lambic named after a woman's nether regions. Reeks of an apricot tree - bark and all. Tastes of stone fruit and fruit stones. The funk is a given.

But this one is not that puckering. Don't get me wrong - it's sour. But on a scale of one to five, one being mild empuckerment and five being total facial implosion, this is about a three. Time has stripped the fruit of its tartness and robbed the beer of its punch.

A little past its prime. (653 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +10.3%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C. Served side by side with St.-Gilloise. Review from notes.

A: Fou' Foune is a hazy yellow color. There is 1/4 inch head that fades pretty rapidly, leaving no lace.

S: The aroma is incredible, with scents of a farm, barnyard, apricots, straw.

T: The beer tastes phenomenal. It's extremely tart. Extremely tart, I said. The flavor is bold and aggressive, with apricots and sour funk causing my cheeks to pucker in delight.

M: Upon completion of my second glass, I was really feeling the finish. I felt akin to a boxer that got hit with a lot of body shots over the course of a bout. The acetic finish grows stronger with every ounce. I...can't...stop...

D: It's truly sad that this beer will no longer be brewed.

***

A: Hazy yellow, small head and no lace.

S: Straw, hay, the great outdoors, farms, apricots. Ah, Cantillon has the most incredible aromas...

T: Extremely sour, even for Cantillon. My mouth puckers in delight. A beautiful and natural taste of apricots and barnyard funk.

M: Very tart with an acetic finish.

D: Delicious beer. Great for sharing a few ways.

Reviewed on: 04-04-2010 (1,159 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle (2009) generously shared by ShogoKawada with several BA's. Big thanks for this! Poured into a Malheur chalice.

A - Pours a very cloudy, hazy pale golden orange color reminiscent of fresh fruit juice (grapefruit maybe). Light fizzy cap that disappears almost instantly.

S - On first pour this had an overall fruitiness that was tough to indentify, but after warming a bit some grapefruit was noticeable and the apricot really started to come out along with some fresh orange aroma. Medium level tartness was easily noticeable, a hint of sugar that seemed to tame this a bit.

T - Fruity and quite tart up front. Was actually expecting this to be more tart than it was, but it wasn't as bracing as some other Cantillons I've had in the past...however, definitely not a knock. As with the aroma started fruity but difficult to idenity which fruits were present. A bit of warming and rousing the yeast in the bottle before the 2nd pour really helped this one open up. Lemons, grapefruit, oranges, and, of course - apricots. Apricot became more and more noticeable as the bottle went down. Somewhat mild yeastiness complemented things adding some mustyness to the flavors to funk it up a little bit.

M - Body is light, but not watery - just a bit on the thin side. Carbonation is ample and works well fizzing away in the mouth to propel the fruity and tart flavors all the way thru every sip.

D - Extremely drinkable sour. Definitely lives up to its reputation and doesn't disappoint. Tons of complexity here with new flavors being discovered throughout the bottle. Matches my experience with other Cantillons I've had. Very good cold/cool, but they turn into simply amazing with a little bit of warmth. Too hard to wait for them to warm up from the start for me (can't wait to dig in), but definitely worth it...although discovering new aspects as the temperature changes has something to say for it too. (1,917 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +2%

750ml 2009 Fou Foune shared w/ jlindros, portia99, and FluffyMcTingle.

A- Hazy orangey with a dash of rose pink.

S- Fruity, Grapefruit, white grape, peaches, pears, apricot.

T- Great fruit tartness and some bracing acidity. Orange zest. Apricots are mellow at first but assert themselves as the bottle goes down. This is such a good flavor profile. Damn.

M- This beer plays with me. Some sips it's fruity, others it's shockingly tart, others it has a great funk component. So complex, it's hard to appreciate it all at once. This keeps you rediscovering the beer after each sip. Truly great.

D- Fairly high... prob. one of the most enjoyable sour beers I've ever had. (675 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%

Gotta give a bunch of thanks to ShogoKawada for letting me try this one.

A: Light fizzy head covering fades quickly with a hazy, lots of color, golden wheat straw colored beer.

N: Nice sour fruit, tangy and tart, little citrus and zest, touch of sweetness, dry fruit, touch of yeast. Lots of fruit, plenty of the peach/apricot, and even a bit of a citrus zest.

T: Sour and tangy fruit, tons of apricot, almost like pure apricot juice, and that also brings some fruit flavors of peach, citrus, grapefruit, little creamy even. Pretty sour overall and tart, with a touch of lemon and mouthwatering tangerine apricot juice like flavors. Mostly dry. A light yeast, that seems to accentuate a touch as it warms. We stirred the yeast and the funk and yeast flavors came out a lot more, and it got a hint of barnyard.

M: Lighter body with good carbonation.

Overall awesome, great fruit, tartness, funk, an awesome wild/sour beer with tons of great fruit flavors. Wish I could drink tons of this if it wasn't so expensive and hard to get. (1,034 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

So this is it. My last fresh bottle of Fou'foune, one of my all time favorite beers. Bottled 13 August 2009, I am drinking this solo while eating an apricot.

The few months this beer has been sitting undisturbed have been kind to it. Pouring a light golden orange with a dense white head with excellent retention, this beer looks beautiful.

The nose is explosive. Bursting with ripe apricots, there's a tartness to the fruit character as well. The fruit does dominate the base lambic, quite a remarkable feat, given how sour this beer is. Unlike other vintages, this batch does have a more pronounced oak aroma, not really woody and it's more of a tannic character. All of this cuts through the fruit, making this truly exceptional on the nose.

The palate opens bracingly sour with a strong lemon peel sourness, way more aggressive than any other Cantillon beer I've had. I don't know how they do it. With a big, bright acidity, this opens the palate to the fruit flavors that come through with all the flavor of an apricot, rather unripened this time, with the great acidity and a big fruit character. The finish is surprisingly clean, with no real funk (this beer never really had much funk to start with) with a lot of lemony sourness and a great fruit character. The tannins do appear here, drying out the palate and contrasting the fruit very well. The palate is perfect. With a moderate to high carbonation level, this light bodied beer is perfect for this summer night. While my enamel is peeling just a hair, this is one of those very few beers where there's so much more going on behind the MASSIVE sourness. With a non-existent acetic character, this is perfect. And to give you an idea as to how fruity this is, my ripened apricot doesn't burst on the nose as much as this one does. Fabulous stuff.

**Review dated 13 Feb 2010**
I split a bottle of the 2006 vintage with joe1510 many moons ago. After it disappeared and I missed the 07 release, when the 08 came out (in 09), I made sure I grabbed a couple. I got to try it side-by-side with an 02 vintage (bottled 03) last night, thanks to Peter.

Both vintages pour a hazy light orange with a thin, choppy white head with decent retention. (4)
2009:
The nose is fucking epic. Fruity sour with fresh apricots, this is so goddamn fruity. Sour apricots with their nuance and unripened character, this is fantastic. The base beer is pretty sour too. As for the palate? Holy fucking fuck. Like biting into a raw apricot, this is fruity and sour. Quite sour and tart with a strong lactic sourness and plenty of lemony sourness, this is all about the apricots. Drying on the finish with more (surprise!) apricots, this is incredible. Light and airy on the palate with a crisp carbonation and a aggressive acidity, the fruitiness really helps tone down how much damage I feel this doing to me. Incredibly drinkable, this is awesome (4.5 x 4)

2003:
The nose is super sour, mildly plastic-like even. The fruit really has fallen off, or rather, the sourness has just completely ravaged it. The palate is similar, incredibly sour, probably the sourest thing I've had. Almost like pure lime juice with mild apricot flavor, this is bone dry on the finish that's acidic and tooth-raping in its lemon-like character. The sourness really does hinder the drinkability of this batch, though. Scores: 3.4,3.5,3.5,3.5

**Edit 26 March 2011**
This is the 2010 vintage that I got thanks to Robert. Thank you.

The nose is pure fucking apricots. Ridiculously fresh and fruity, the dried apricot character is excellent. Not as oaky and tannic as the 2009 vintage, this smells great fresh. Again, a great, clean, lemony sourness with a beautiful fruit character, this is a nice, fruity vintage. (3,734 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into an acbf tasting glass. We had a mini vertical with 2001, 2006, and 2009 bottles thanks to stowehop at our recent BA meet up, it was great to try these now that they won't be made again.

Pours a very cloudy and hazy light amber color, head is very small and pale white, not much for lacing as with most Cantillons. Visually all the vintages were about the same. The nost was very fruity and funky, the the '01 being distinctly more tart.

Wow taste on this is very tart and sour, it's crazy. Even though the sour is so mouth puckering its really tasty and quite drinkable, each sip just makes you want more and more of it. Super dry finish. The '09 had the most fruit flavor as you'd expect, and the '01 was the most sour beer I've ever had, it was crazy. No way you could drink a whole bottle yourself but amazing for a tasting. (872 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -3.6%

Served in a tumbler at ChurchKey.

As I admitted to my bartender when I ordered it, I have no idea how to truly properly pronounce this beer's name, let alone attempt to define it. I was just excited to see such a touted lambic on draught in my neck o' the woods. It pours a hazy orange straw with a tall head of deeply longevitous (yeah, I said it...now, if only more people would use it...) white froth. As it died away, lingering on as the worst people tend to, it left some nebulous lacing behind. The smell wafting to me is of banana, peach, funk, flowers (pretty ones, I do believe), and a surprisingly healthy amount of vanilla. It's like brewer's potpourri. The taste doesn't bring this high esteem down any, either. Tart berries; sour peach, apple, and grape; a tiny bit of bitterness; and a slight hint of oak (or some kind o' wood, anyway) round out the puckering flavor profile. So this is a true Belgian lambic, eh? I'm impressed. The body is on the lightest end of the medium sub-spectrum, with a sharp, moderate carbonation and a dry, sticky finish. I may not be able to guzzle this tart monster, but I sure as hell want to. Get some! (1,149 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml bottle, 2008 version...The beer pours dark peacy with a much darker center. The head is white, rises about a finger and is gone pretty quickly...The aroma is on the lighter side, light tart fruits, mixed with sourness. Not overpowering in either regard so its balanced giving some of what you look for in a fruit lambic...Holy moses, that's one sour beer. Didn't think it would be that tart from the aroma. Its got a huge tart bite sour, not a mucky horse blanker leather like a lot of Cantillon's. Here you get a lot more of the fruit not sweetness but the actual taste of apricots on the finish. Super balanced and flavorful...The feel is great, sticks to the mouth, very tannic...Drinkability is off the charts. It gives me everything I love about a lambic, sourness funk, but balanced enough that you can drink this all day, while at the same time not being such a fruit beer that's its super sweet or dominated by the apricot...Overall one of my favorite lambics, right up there with Blabear. (1,003 characters)

4.45/5  rDev -0.7%

2009 vintage, 750ml capped and corked, split with my wife. Pours a lovely slightly hazed golden color, I swear there's apricot tints. A couple fingers of soapy white head build and are fed by mini tornadoes emanating from the bottom of the glass. Amazing.

First whiff reveals lots of barnyard funk, woody brett, sweaty horseblanket, urine. As it warms, a sweet tropical apricot comes out more and is quite prominent, so fresh, juicy and sweet. Mmmm.

While many of the Cantillons are acidic and bracingly tart, this one leans more to the fruity, funky side - which is aided by it's relative freshness. Light sweet apricot with a good dose of sweaty funk, a light woodiness, sour tarts. The sweetness actually balances out this beer, making it perhaps the most drinkable Cantillon I've had to date.

An absolute pleasure to drink and I am quite sad that this is being discontinued. A one time pleasure I guess... Thanks to Luk13 for the bottle in a trade. (955 characters)

4.14/5  rDev -7.6%

Draft at Tria on 6/6/10.

Pours hazy golden with hints of orange. Huge lingering fluffy white head.

Aroma is of deep barnyard funk, then some peach and apricot as it warms, along with a little mango. Only slight hints of citrus.

Flavor is nice sweetness and a delightful puckering sourness. As it warms, you pick up much more of the rich apricot flavor.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and buttery, with great light carbonation. This is a sickeningly sessionable lambic that goes down way too easily. (506 characters)

4.43/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to whoever shared this at the first sexual chocolate release. It was my first time trying this fine lambic. Im very sad to know that this one will soon be retired. :( Hazy bright gold pour with thin fizzy off white head. Apricot aroma. Leather, horse blanket, apricot, and mango. Very tart, dry, crisp and refreshing (323 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%

750 mL bottle, 2008 vintage, split with friends at Maxs.

Appearance is a cloudy, hazy pale straw gold with a thin fizzy white head that leaves minimal lacing. I'll be smelling this beer all night, long after I leave here. Extremely sharp, acidic and funky with mild apricot fruit sweetness and cheesy funk. It's hard to stop smelling this and actually taste it. Flavor starts initially apricot and oak sweet before becoming overwhelmed by acidic and vinegary sweetness which actually finds a way to become even sharper and more nasty funky in the finish. Not for the faint of heart or novice to the style, and maybe not the best bottle to represent this particular beer, but for a complex fruity and sour lambic this is near impeccable. (737 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

If anyone had ever wondered if Cantillon makes good sours, let me tell you right now that my mouth is salivating just thinking about Fou' Foune. This was one of the most palate destroying, mouth watering, sour grenades that I have had from Cantillon. Every sip was amazing. Bought at Toronado for $30. Thanks goes to James.

The appearance is oily, like most Cantillons. With a very tall pour, this thing produces a crisp white two finger head that left pretty fast. I imagine the acids and alcohol in this one would kill just about everything. The color is a golden color with a slight shade of ruby. The legs on this were intense, leaving trails that could be seen from across the room.

The smell is of juicy fruit, sour socks, musty teenage bedroom, stale barn, wheat grass, vinegar, peaches, apricot.

Taste is an explosion of fruits, peaches and apricots, every range of tart and sour that your palate can comprehend. Acidic, vinegar, oily mouthfeel, fruity sweetness. I am reviewing this from notes and my mouth is salivating like one of Pavlovs dogs.

The mouthfeel destroys. Anything and everything you can ever think of tasting is replaced by the juicy sourness that this body burns into your palate. The tart characters paired with the oily mouthfeel and perfect carbonation effects every part of your senses. It actually locked my jaw up a bit, the sourness got to be a bit much actually. This effected the drinkability a bit because my palate was fatigued after a while and it became a chore to keep torturing myself.

What a beautiful beer. Nothing in America can come close to Cantillon.

(1,611 characters)