Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,350 | Reviews: 485
3.93/5  rDev -15.3%

750ml from Wilburs, $26, bottled in 2009.

A: pale golden yellow in color, stark white head, quite turbid. Small head to begin with and a fair amount of retention, nice 1/2in cap sticking around. Nice.

S: wheat malts, fairly funky, but more on the sweaty gym socks end of the spectrum, apricot jam. Not the most impressive smelling Cantillon.

T: the apricots are definitely there, and as others have noted more tart than it is overly sour. Great aftertaste of apricot jam. Lemon like tartness. Fairly light. A little bit of honey in there as well. Really lacks that strong funky intense profile that I would hope forInteresting.

M: light, dry, crisp, and lactic. Spot on here.

D: fairly easy to drink, this is definitely more of a summer beer. Not the most impressive beer from Cantillon but still very tasty. A little more expensive than I'd like but a nice beer. Glad to try it.

4.45/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a pale hazy yellow color lambic with a huge pure white foamy head with good retention and some great retention. Aroma of sour and tart notes are dominant and somewhat off-set by some light fruity apricot. Taste is a wonderful mix between some light apricot, some tart and sour notes with some well balanced acidity. Body is quite full with great carbonation. Very well made with a great balance between some tart notes with some fruit and well balanced acidity.

4.92/5  rDev +6%

2004 vintage drank alongside a 2005 Lou Pepe Framboise and a 2006 Lou Pepe Kriek. Like the other two beers, the cap had signs of rust on the inside, but the cork and beer were fine.

Pours a sunny orange with a tight white head that leaves a few spots of lace as it drops to a film and then nothing. The aroma is rich in apricot, but still has strong evidence of that lambic base, and has nice notes of barrel.

Huge apricot flavour places a wonderfully fruity imprint on anything. This beer tastes like summer in the south of France, and is all the better for it. There's certainly that quintessential Cantillon sourness, but its moderated by a delicate sweetness and this seems the most balanced of the three brews we had tonight. There's also a light funk, but its far lighter than the Lou Pepes. In a way, this is a far simpler beer, but i think better for it, and its hard for me to fault the flavour. The same applies to the body, which alternates between light and slick, but never becomes any less than refreshing.

This may well me my favourite fruit lambic - it transports me to a different place and whispers softly in my ear. A treat that I need to get more of!

4.63/5  rDev -0.2%

Appearance: Nice soft pour, couple inches of foam, no real lacing. Looks like soft apricots and hazy sunshine.

Smell: Best part of the beer, fresh apricots with a bit of sour/tart.

Taste: Great dichotomy between the sweet apricot on the bouquet and the biting acidity on the tongue, followed by apricot again on the finish. Has a nice, light, earthy horse blanket funk. There should be a rating for presentation. Very sour. Slightly chalky.

Mouthfeel: Soft, light but perfectly carbonated. I am always thankful for these low ABV sours.

Drinkability: High, this is now one of my favorite cantillons, right behind Blaeber

4.87/5  rDev +5%

Bottled 8/09, consumed 5 months later. This is my first Cantillon beer, I'm excited to try it.

Pours with a finger of white head over a murky golden orange body. A quarter inch of foam sticks around begging to be swallowed away.

I can smell funk from 2 feet way. Sticking my nose closer, I actually get a bit more citrus fruit than I do tart funkiness (though it is definitely still there). Very appetizing, like apricot or peach flavored candy. Some light band aid and cobweb. Notes of white grapes, banana peel, and sunflowers. I can barely take my nose out of the glass.

Oh wow, the taste caught me off guard. Didn't catch too much acidity in the nose but the taste is another story. Puckering like someone just dumped sour powdered candy on my tongue. Rich, luscious fruit flavor underneath. Apricots, peaches, grapes, apples. After a few swallows the acid begins to become less surprising, and the deep funkiness underneath peeks through. I'm think I'm swallowing dirty gym socks. I feel like I just took a deep breath while changing my vacuum filter. But then that juicy citrus flavor comes rushing back with each sip temporarily wiping it all away...until it returns in the finish. My senses are stretched to their limits with the complexity of this wonderful liquid. As I swish it around my mouth before swallowing I am then greeted by the most pleasant, longest finish in my recent beer drinking memory.

Body is medium, perhaps medium/full for the style. Good levels of carbonation. Very dry, but enough citrus character sticks around to make for a long finish.

This glass is disappearing quickly, but the overall palate and sense destroying nature of it would make me want to limit my intake. Still, seriously drinkable for the style.

4.67/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a thin layer of froth with some interesting floaters seen when held to light.

S: Hit with a wave of funk and apricots right from the pour! As I dig a little deeper I am finding some sweet fruit (not just apricot) nicely melding with a barnyard must. Still not sure how I enjoy that smell, but I do!

T: In a word, outstanding. The blend of the sour and then sweet fruit along with the oak and bit of vinegar is just right.

M: Light to medium mouth feel with slightly more carbonation that I anticipated from the pour. Finish a bit dry.

D: Really enjoying this one but it is a sipper.

4.54/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Capones...
Appears a hazy, light gold with a orange tinge when held to the light. A small white head floats atop the glass before slowly fading away into a tiny cap and leaving streaks/spots all around the glass.
Smell is of obvious apricots, peaches, nectarines, vanilla, tart notes of vinegar and funky hints of horseblanket,and perhaps a hint of passion fruit/mango blend.
Taste is of the aromas with more of an acidic presence making itself known in the form of soured peaches and green apple.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, tart, making one salivate...but easy drinking and perhaps even refreshing if given the proper setting.

4.65/5  rDev +0.2%

08 on draft at Capones.

A: Pale, hazy amber-orange body. Tight, compact head with decent retention before crashing into a spotty skim. Sporadic lacing left behind on the sides of the glasses.

S: Light, bright fruits. Apricots and peaches. Nice earthy tartness.

T: Reved up version of the nose. Potent tart apricots up front, sweet ripening peaches in the back end. Earthy, with a nice lactic punch.

M: Good weight to balance the semi-sweet/tart flavorings. A bit more slick than I'd like. Puckering feel lingers for a bit after each sip.

D: Pretty impressive offering from Cantillon. The flavor really carries the day despite some flaws in the mouthfeel department.

4.49/5  rDev -3.2%

on tap at monks
Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white lace.

The aroma is full of sharp tart apple with hints of dry fruit peel.

The flavor begins with sharp acidity blending with a carbonic bite. The sourness gives way to a light fruit flavor and then the acids take over and the finish remains tart.

Very drinkable the tartness dosent overwhelm and the beer is very refreshing.

Overall I found this beer to be an excellent pairing with monks pomme frites.

3.35/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again.

4.64/5  rDev 0%

On tap at Monk's

A: Pours a nice bright orange hue with a touch of fizz that never really managed much of a head. No real retention or lace.

S: Wow I liked this beer in the bottle love it on draft. Wonderful aromas of dried apricots. There is a big sour acidic aroma as well. Lots of leather and citrus, mildly earthy.

T: Love in a glass. Tons of earthy apricot with a nice level of tartness. Lightly acidic with strong citrus notes and peach pits. Really is a joy to drink.

M: On the lighter side of medium, somewhat dry finish.

D: Good, this one was served in a small proper cantillon glass. I could easily sit back and enjoy an entire bottle though. One of my favorite sours.

4.62/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle very generously shared by PWoods. Thanks mang!

Pours a very hazy, cloudy light orange in color. There's a nice half inch of white head forming on the pour.
The smell is pungent. Almost to the point of being off-putting. Stanky gym socks, old cheese, and a little bit of earthy skunkyness. The smell is so strong, you begin to question whether or not you want to take a sip of this thing.
Taste is incredible. Very sour/tart. Lip puckering sourness. Very nice apricot and light fruit flavors. Absolutely wonderful.
After time, the smell starts to come around and become much more approachable.
Very puckering tart in the mouthfeel, with the perfect amount of carbonation. This beer is absolutely amazing. I couldn't help but to think how much this compares to Isabelle Proximus with each sip I took.
I'll definitely be buying some of these bottles to throw in the basement. Outstanding.

4.15/5  rDev -10.6%

2009 Vintage

A: Pours a quarter inch of white head on top of a pale gold and cloudy beer. The head does not hold very well but i does leave good lace.

S: Very nice apricot and peach aroma prevades. The aroma is very delicate with a nice sweetness and a mild bit of funk to finish.

T: Tart apricot and peaches followed by a bit of vinegar. There is a bit of brettiness to it, but it is more on the mild side. I really enjoy the fruitiness of this, but the vinegar detracts slightly from my enjoyment. Some nice wood notes are present and add an earth and dry quality to the beer

M: The vinegar is slightly more than I would have like but the level of flavor is excellent. LIke all cantillon beers, the tiniest sip goes quite a long way

D: A great beer that is best shared with others but I will enjoy a few glasses for myself. A few more years on this beer will do wonders

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

This is a corked and capped 750ml bottle, once it's popped it exudes a crazy amount of funk sour scent. Poured from a bottle into a Portsmouth Tulip. The pour yields an effervescent straw body with a nice glow around the edges. The head is a bone white frothy two finger affair that bubbles for several minutes.

The smell is funky sour musty cheesy lemon zest with the slightest touch of sweet fruits. Once the beer warms the apricot scent is evident, as well as some definite barrel characteristics.

The taste is tart sour lemons up front that push the boundaries of the taste buds. There is a healthy dose of musty bleu cheese funk and as the beer warms the apricot flavors really come out. Throughout the taste there is a nice oaky-woody backing that supports and balances the flavors.

The beer is light and crisp with a nice dry finish that makes it incredibly drinkable. The flavor is sharply sour, but the finish is dry and compliments the flavors well.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml corked and capped bottle purchase at the Charleston Beer Exchange. 2009 vintage, I believe.

A: Pale golden color with 3 finger white head. Lots of murky stuff in there. You can really tell this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered.
S: Funk! Vinegar and sour fruits come out first. This is followed by a nice apricot aroma. The last thing you smell is almost wrong (dirty diaper).
T: Sour apricots with more vinegar. Nice touch of brett in the aftertaste.
M: Very sour, though not quite on the level of St Lamvinus. Tart and bubbly on the tongue. Very nice and dry.
D: I am not going to kid myself here. It is a wonderful beer and it covers everything a true lambic should be. However, drinking a whole bottle would likely destroy my stomach. Not perfect, but still pretty close.

This was another wonderful beer from Cantillon. They are still one of the top breweries in the world, in my opinion.

4.03/5  rDev -13.1%

2008 vintage 750ml bottle into Stone Levitation tulip.

A - Pours a light golden color with a white head. Half a fingers worth of head leaves some lacing along with a nice cap on top of the beer.

S - Super tart/sour, funk, barynard notes, apricots, sweet fruit such as mangos and pears. A nice meld of funk and sweetness. Lots of the funk up front and a nice subtle sweetness on the finish.

T - Much like the nose, only more sweet fruit notes by comparison. Sour/tart, funky barnyard, horse blanket, apricots, pears.

M - Light and fizzy. Champagne-esk carbonation. Refreshing and gentle on the palate.

D - Not my favorite from Cantillon, but I do like this to change it up every now and then. Looking forward to trying the 2009 release here soon.

4.37/5  rDev -5.8%

A: This settles into a hazy straw gold blonde, with a typical-for-style haze of a head

S: Bouquet of sour vinegar, horse stable with straw, and peach pit

T: The flavor is tart and acidic, followed by sweeter apricot, followed by copper-ish mineral flavors, both complex and refreshing.

M: A sting of carbonation, then creamy stillness. It fills the mouth without coating it or being chewy. Belgians have the best mouth feel.

D: This goes down too quickly, and should be savored.

4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Thanks to biggreen for sharing this bottle with me.

A - Poured a hazed yellow color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - I loved this smell tart and sour apricots filled my nose

T - Tastes just like it smells tart and sour apricots it was a party in my mouth

M - This beer has a light body with high carbonation to it

D - Cantillon makes some bad ass Lambics and this one is no exception this is what a real fruit Lambic tastes like worth getting your hands on to try

4.42/5  rDev -4.7%

Bottled in 2005. Best before December 2009.

A: Very hazy orange color with a reasonably big white head that leaves plenty of lacings.

S: The smell is really acidic with lots of tart fruit notes of lemon, apricots and some green apples. Lots of funky notes as well, mostly mud and blanket. Very intense.

T: The taste is almost unbelievably sour, really mouth-puckering. Lots of acidic fruit notes, mostly of apricots and lemon. Pleasant rustic funky notes of mud and wet hey. Notes of grass and wood. The finish is bone dry, and I really mean bone dry. The beer ends with tart notes of apricots, hints of salty aged cheese, mild grassy bitterness and lingering acidity.

M: Medium body, rather sparkling carbonation.

D: I've had this beer once before, but I was still amazed over how sour it is. By far one of the most sour beers I've tried. All in all, it's a great beer - wonderful fruity character and intense rustic flavors.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

Bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Pours a lightly hazy gold with a single finger of white head that retains shortly and leaves a soapy rim after a minute or two.

Aroma is of heavy Cantillon funk and a base of acidity with notes of wet hay, horse blanket and some distant fruit that blends right into the funk. Only Cantillon can produce a funk like the one here. So intense, yet curiously soft in the nose. Wonderfully proportioned without much of an apricot presence, but that doesn't hurt the brew at all.

Taste is excellent. Follows the nose closely with an acidity that cuts through the other notes and leaves the palate semi-dry with the only residual being a bit of funk. The funk is less concentrated than it is on the palate, but just as complex. A pucker after the finish leaves the palate wanting more. There is solace here for sour lovers, but this may be too acidic for those not aquired to the taste. Otherwise this is a standard brew from Cantillon: nothing short of fantastic.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a heavy acidity and a puckering sourness that leaves the palate semi-dry and mildly sticky. A wonderful sour in texture.

Drinkability is great. Truly sour, but very tasty. The acidic notes are balanced by a healthy dose of funk, all under a light fruit banner. Only a Cantillon brew can reach the level of something this complex, yet so drinkable. Cheers!

4.36/5  rDev -6%

A: Pours a clear golden/yellow hue. A small bubbly white head forms that leaves some lace.
S: The aroma is huge, and just amazing. I can smell this all the way across the room. Sour and tart fruits. Funky barnyard aromas, Belgian yeast. Apricot comes out in full force as this warms up a bit.
T: Again, sour and tart fruits. Funky flavors that follow the nose. Some yeast, and apricot comes out as this warms up. The typical acidic and vinegar flavor for Cantillon. Again, a huge flavor that is great.
M/D: A medium body that has a little to much carbonation. Dry and crisp. The sourness makes this a slow sipper. Though I can sip on this all day.

Another wonderful Lambic from Cantillon. This is what a fruit Lambic should be. Not artificial flavor and syrup that so many other examples are. Highly recommended. I have to give a big thanks to biggreen for sharing this with armock and me.

4.92/5  rDev +6%

I have tried Cantillon's Fou' Foune several times and have always enjoyed it immensely but not like this one!

I picked up this bottle in person from the Cantillon brewey less than one month ago and it appears it was only bottled in Aug 2009!

Maybe that is why I was REALLY blown away this time, as the intense apricot smell and taste was at full power.

The balance of the apricot with the trademark Cantillon sourness was exceptional, in a similar way to the blueberry profile of the 2009 blabaer. It's been like catching a master brewer at the absolute peak of form in 2009.

I have to highlight the drinkability of this! For me at least this 750ml bottle disappeared with such ease that if a second bottle had been at hand tonight it would have been a struggle not to go for 1.5 litres...it was just so delicious, OK I admit to being pretty enthusiastic about sours, but this was SO moorish!!

I managed to pick up a few 2009 bottled Lou Pepe's and an Iris on this visit so I am pretty excited about these considering Cantillon's current form.

I await with interest what they are going to try next?

4.79/5  rDev +3.2%

A: Really clear amber color with one finger of white head. Visible carbonation with nice lacing.

S: Funk up front. Apricot after. Very musty. It smells like spider web covered casks.

T: A tow front glandular assault. My throat collapses from the apricot and tart combination. The lacto almost makes your throat hurt. Excellent.

M: Super light. The lacto makes it feel heavier than it is.

D: Glorious torture. It is insane how your throat collapses. Amazing beer. Cantillon is nothing short of an amazing world class brewery. If you see their beer you buy it.

4.77/5  rDev +2.8%

Bottled in '07

Pours a hazy cedar with shades of peach. Thick white head has excellent lacing and settles to a thin cover.

Nose has tart citrus, apricots, manure, oak, horse blanket and earthy soil. The apricot presence really grows as this warms and pairs beautifully with the many other complex aromas.

Taste is quite sour and acidic up front followed by sweet malts, oak, barnyard funk, sharp citrus fruits and apricots.

Crisp body is delicately carbonated with a nice dry finish. Another amazing lambic from Cantillon.

4.65/5  rDev +0.2%

Really excited to try this one. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into a tulip glass. 2008 Vintage.

A- The outside edges of the beer carried a pale, straw yellow color. As you move towards the center, the color becomes more of a hazy, vibrant golden color. Quite remarkable. Hazy, zero visibility overall. Produced a half fingers width of white head, quickly dissipated.

S- A wonderful combination of ripe apricots with some lemon zest and oak. If I didn't have to extract this glorious nectar with a couple twirls before each sip, I would have given it a higher score.

T- All I can say is that this is a sourheads wet dream. One of the better experiences I have had with a beer. For the simplistic flavors and ingredients, this was pure perfection. The ripe apricot aroma that was not so pronounced in the smell hits you as soon as the beer touches your palate. Combine this with some oak flavors and an acetic citrus concoction and you have yourself a fantastic brew. Seriously, one of the most mouthpuckering beers I have had. The sour intenseness just grew and grew, paving the way for an awesome finish.

M- If I could find one flaw is that maybe it could have used a tad bit more carbonation. Still, very solid. Light to medium bodied. Coated the palate wonderfully, leaving a consistent sour residue.

D- For those of you that aren't sourheads, be warned. This is damn delicious and very sour! For me, I could drink this all day. For others, I can see how this might get overwhelming at points.

Overall, yup...after this I am loading up on a few bottles for my cellar. It's amazing how people go nuts over the new rarest sours, yet forget about Cantillon. They easily make the best and most consistent sours in the world. If your a sourhead and have been following all the hype behind American sours, do yourself a favor and pick this up. It'll make you forget all about trading for $30 sours from Lost Abbey.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon