Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 487 | Hads: 2,495
4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

I was fortunate enough to have the 2007 and 2008 poured side by side at monk's Cantillon event today. For me, the 08 was the highlight of the day, the 07 was extraordinary as well, but not as mind blowing as the 08.

The beer was foaming up a bit, but this sour initially had a surprisingly creamy tight head. The 08 was a bit cloudy, while the 07 was very clear. Both approximately apricot (duh) colored. The aroma was amazing for the 08, and very good for the 07 as well. The 08 was more aromatic and fruity. You can reallly tell this is a big apricot beer. The 07 was more sour and less fruity. The highlight of the aroma was the funk rather than the fruit.

The 08 tasted like a tart refreshing amazing apricot funky glass of heaven. The sourness was a bit more pronounced than the aroma suggested. 07 was big sour funk and the fruit was a bit more subdued. Both had a mild tannic oaky thing happening which was really nice.

It was a nice light and tangy beer, maybe a bit under carbonated, but that very well could have been because some of the taps were pouring foamy and to best serve everyone, they poured it into a pitcher and then poured the glasses.

Overall this was an outstanding beer that I was fortunate enough to be able to try. While I have been venturing into sour beer, the 08 version of this beer is the best I have ever had and confirmed my love for wild yeast. Outstanding.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 vintage drank alongside a 2005 Lou Pepe Framboise and a 2006 Lou Pepe Kriek. Like the other two beers, the cap had signs of rust on the inside, but the cork and beer were fine.

Pours a sunny orange with a tight white head that leaves a few spots of lace as it drops to a film and then nothing. The aroma is rich in apricot, but still has strong evidence of that lambic base, and has nice notes of barrel.

Huge apricot flavour places a wonderfully fruity imprint on anything. This beer tastes like summer in the south of France, and is all the better for it. There's certainly that quintessential Cantillon sourness, but its moderated by a delicate sweetness and this seems the most balanced of the three brews we had tonight. There's also a light funk, but its far lighter than the Lou Pepes. In a way, this is a far simpler beer, but i think better for it, and its hard for me to fault the flavour. The same applies to the body, which alternates between light and slick, but never becomes any less than refreshing.

This may well me my favourite fruit lambic - it transports me to a different place and whispers softly in my ear. A treat that I need to get more of!

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750mL bottled from August 2010 poured in to a generic Crate & Barrel tulip.

A: Yellow/orange & translucent. Thin carbonation lines the rim of the glass. Some light lacing.

S: Funky & tart, apricot with some citrus notes.

T: Apricot is very prominent, tart, fruity, and very well balanced.

M: Light bodied with thin carbonation.

O: Another knockout brew from Cantillon. Can they mess anything up? So happy to have another one of these to try in another year or so.

4.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found a 2014 bottle at Jazz Bar in Barcelona. Amazing looking beer with depth of color changing in the light. The smell is incredible the sour funk an apricots, lovely. The taste is just smile inducing, could drink it day after day, depth is the key sour, fruit, funk and smooth clean finish.

4.91/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This was just 1 of the many personal whales slain last night. Thanks frankthetank for bringingthis puppy.

2014 bottle straight from the source.

I hate reviewing what a beer looks like, but let's just say it looked awesome.

Aroma was off the charts. Quite funky but doesn't detract or take the focus off of the apricots. I let this sit in my other glass and open up while I tasted the other beers. After about 45 minutes, I started to drink it again and it had totally changed. The funk and lacto has disappeared and all that was left was juicy apricots. Absolutely amazing!

Flavor followed suit. The first few sips were sour, funky and filled with apricot juice. After it sat, however, the sourness disappeared and all that remained was straight apricot puree.

Overall, this has been my favorite Cantillon to date. Well worth the hype and so glad I didn't have to give up any beers to finally tick it off.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

750ml bottle from the 2011 vintage. Fresh bottle with the organic flower on it. Euro version. Opened this one up with vacax and jerz. Thanks for the tasting, again.

A - Light orange with one finger head and perfect retention. There were bubbles on the bottom of the glass. Slightly cloudy with a bit of chill haze.

S - Nose is all apricot and bacterial sourness. A touch of table sugar. Not very cheesy or funky. Really nice.

T - Taste is quite sour and very fruit forward. It's interesting how such a perfect balance could be attained. For one of the most sour beers I've had, this has tons of apricot flavor. Sourness and sweetness are perfectly in harmony. Acidity is quite high, but it's dangerously drinkable.

M - Mouthfeel is a touch thin but not watery. Carbonation is moderate and good for the style.

O - Glad I was able to procure so many bottles of this online. It's amazing and I don't think I will be trading any of these away.

4.9/5  rDev +8.6%

Enjoyed on draft at Zwanze 2014. Holy Grale.

A: Cloudy yellow. One finger fine-bubble, egg shell head. The head settles to a rim.

S: Tart fruit and sour Belgium spores. Neutral oak. Notes of peaches, dried apricots, bergamot blooms, honey suckles, and dusty grain.

T: The flavors are subtle and well balanced. Sour yeast is very noticeable, then waves of neutral oak and fruit notes get capped off with a mild funk finish. The notes: peaches, apricots, tangerine flesh, citrus zest, and oak. This is a moderate on the tartness level.

M: High carbonation, very (x2) smooth, light body.

O: It is no surprise to me why this is the consensus favorite from Temple of Sours. The flavors are very subtle, but perfectly balanced. Perfection is unattainable - IMO - but this ale gets very close. The fruit/sour/funk aspects meld so nicely, it is hard not to give this a perfect score. This is my favorite Cantillon.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

First BA rate. Picked up this gem while on vacation. The people at the bottle shop had no idea that they had this or what it was.

750 ml green bottle. Bottled on August 11, 2010. Consumed March 16, 2011. A hazy golden beer with a nice fluffy head. The aroma was very nice, tart and sour with lots of lemons and some green apples. Very fruity(apricots) but not overpowering with some funk mingled in there. As it warms the oak starts to show itself. Wow I could smell this my whole life.

The taste again is tart especially on the lips withe the apricots showing themselves in the end. Very lemony while the oak shows up at the back of the taste and seems to want to add some dryness. This really makes me lick my lips which I like.

All of these things that I speak of seem to work in harmony with each other and not overtake one another. Very light and delicate, and very refreshing and balanced. I would love to drink one on a hot summers day. I shared a glass with my brother whose beer of choice is Bud Light Lime and he loved it. Now he loves lambics and sours and because of this beer he went and bought a case of Cuvee Rene. Thanks Fou Foune cause you may have turned someone from the dark side.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a wineglass at the Cantillon Brewery in Brussels.

A= This beer poured a hazed deep gold color and put up a 1" snow white head with every pour. The head dropped relatively quickly but left a nice ring behind.

S= The aroma was about 2/3 sweet apricot over 1/3 lambic character. Very beautiful in the nose.

T= Started off with a burst of sweet apricot flavor before the tart, funky lambic flavors kicked in. Nice dry oak character was present but not overpowering. The balance between sweet fruit and the sour character was just perfect. Finished bone dry and puckery, which inspired the next sip every time.

MF= Light body with a nice dry feel. Prickly carbonation was just right.

D= Off the charts delicious and drinkable. Rivaled the best sours I have ever tasted and one that I will be seeking out again and again.

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

On handpump at Teresa's Next Door during their 2011 sour event. I believe this is the most recent batch available. Drank from a wine glass.

A: Bright clear golden color pouring a frothy white head which clears into a small ring around the glass. Some nice lacing as well. Beautiful.

S: Aroma starts with some interesting fruit aromas including: chardonnay grapes, apricot, bitter orange, and other various citrus fruits. There is also a nice leathery, earthy character produced form the Brett. This is not an aroma I would describe as 'Barnyard'. Relatively clean and more focused the fruity earthy characteristics. Not too much acid on the nose either. Extremely complex and outstanding!

T: The fruity notes on the nose translate into the flavor as well. Although this is an apricot lambic, chardonnay is the strongest characteristic I get. The acid is much more pronounced in the flavor of the beer including strong tangerine notes. The finish is puckering and dry with light earth, leather, and oak flavors. Like no other lambic I have ever tried. More comparable to Russian River Temptation.

M: Nice medium body with strong champagne carbonation with a nice prickly, puckering effect. Desirable tannic, drying qualities in the finish. The carbonation is surprising for a cask conditioned beer. That goes to showcase the super attentuative cantillon strains.

O: Simply put, this is the best blended lambic I have ever had. This will be a tuff one to beat as well. This is also the most refreshing sour beer I have ever tasted. Bravo!

4.89/5  rDev +8.4%

2013 vintage into Iris balloon.

Pours as I remember, pale gold with burnt yellow highlights, hazy, with a nice creamy white head that lingers nicely and shows off the beers effervescence.

The nose is filled with that soft, young house Cantillon character with the addition of juicy apricot flesh, aromatic peach fuzz, crushed strawberry at a distance, and a guava like perfume that intoxicates the senses. One of those classic, time transcending aromas that you will always remember when good lambic comes to mind.

Flavor is more in line with the rustic nature of lambics. Still plentiful fruit notes but geared towards raw, fleshy and softly acidic apricot and nectarine, hints of apple, white grape flesh, and kiwi twang. Subtle brett funk in the form of dough, over ripe pineapple, fresh pasture, and wet earth are here, but just barely perceptible. It's mostly fruit slapping those taste buds around.

Mouthfeel is typically perfect as usual with Cantillon beers. I think the outstanding mouthfeel of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen is the main thing that makes them stand out from other lambic blenders. Armand and Jean Van Roy just seem to have perfected this part in Gueuze and lambic production. Light, prickly but not ultra bubbly. Dry with the perfect amount of lactic acid pucker. But then you get that malic acid fruit tanginess as well. Heavenly mouthfeel.

Overall, once again I'm knocked back to reality. Reality being that Belgian lambics are still king of the sour beer world. You get caught up with the American sour beer scene that you almost forget the superiority of Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen when it comes to "sours", "wilds", or whatever you want to call it. On top of those two you also have Rodenbach, De Cam, and Boon also putting out some top notch stuff. Give me an Apricot Mariage Parfait and I just may come in my pants. But babble aside, Fou Foune continues to be that gracious creation it's always been, and a beer by which all other sours should be measured against.

4.88/5  rDev +8.2%

Cracked open a 2005 750mL bottle. Drank out of a Lost Abbey tulip.

Wow, this beer is beyond tart. If you're into sours and feel like someone is drilling into your jaw, this is the beer for you (in a pleasant way). Not much of a head, poured a golden-orange like color. Smells of barnyard funk, not much apricot on the nose. Then suddenly, upon the first sip, the tartness was crazy. From a vinegar like acidity, to a punch in the face with apricots (I am salivating as I am writing this review). Compared to the 2011 one which was more juice-like, this beer developed significantly throughout the years. Nice carbonation in the mouth, extremely drinkable.

We were 3 heads on this bottle and no matter how tart it was, it was extremely drinkable. Easily now in my top 5 sours.

I think it's at its peak. Fantastic.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

750ml bottle, 2006 vintage received from Dyan. Thanks!

Appearance: Pulling off the wrapper, uncapping the crown and remove the cork is always a messy process with Cantillon beers, usually leaving you covered in mold and other foul-smelling matter. This one's no exception, and may even be worse than any others I've encountered. Between the black mold underneath the bottle cap, the white muck under the wrapper and the grey ooze that seeps from the cork, I have to wonder what this beer is doing to my innards. Fuck it all though, with a beer this delicious you can't worry about what it's doing to your stomach lining or general health. Rambling aside, the beer itself pours a milky wheat color, not far off from the appearance of their gueuze. Cloudiness is significant, but then again, I made no effort to let the sediment settle in this bottle. A vigorous pour left me with a couple inches of head with rather large bubbles, and though it leaves no lacing, retention is pretty good for this style of beer.

Smell: Apricots. Sour, unripened apricots. It's remarkable how much the fruit shines through in the aroma. Before opening this bottle, I wasn't sure how well the fruit would stand up against the acidity of Cantillon lambic (astoundingly well, is the answer). Beyond the fruit, there's plenty of signature Cantillon funk too, but the apricots really steal the show. Awesome, maybe the best nose I've come across on a fruit lambic.

Taste & mouthfeel: Intensely sour, like taking a big bite from an unripened apricot. Again to my surprise, there's a ton of apricot flavor here, and it works beautifully with the bracingly acidic lambic. Even by Cantillon standards, this is sour stuff. I can't see my stomach faring well by the end of this bottle, but that's not going to stop me from finishing it (slowly). The mouthfeel is light and bubbly, with all the signature dryness and acidity people have come to expect from Cantillon, and alcohol is never really felt. Simply an awesome beer, one that I wish was available locally so that I could grab a few to cellar.

Notes on other vintages:

2001: With 9 years of age on it, this batch is still very fruity, lactic, lemony. Sharp sourness. Not as fruity as some of the fresher batches, but still excellent.

2003: Unusually turbid and thick. Not a lot of fruit here compared to newer vintages, though it does come through. Strong lactic sourness, funky, somewhat one-dimensional. Not one of the best batches, but enjoyable.

2004: Musty and slightly metallic, big lactic character, strong apricot skin aroma and flavor. Seemed a bit past its prime to me.

2005: Bottled opened early 2011. Extremely sour, one of the most intensely sour batches of beer I've tried from Cantillon, in fact. Moderate funk, little oak or fruit. Enjoyable in small quantities, the acidity is pretty intense.

2007: Extremely sour and simple with mild fruit and barrel character, one of the weaker batches of FF.

2008: Similar sourness to the 2007 batch but with a big juicy apricot character to balance it, excellent.

2009: Big apricot character with restrained sourness compared to previous vintages. Very oaky, tannic, fruity. Quite good, might be my favorite vintage. As of late 2010, it seems to have become more sour and less tannic with age.

2010: Fresh this is very fruity and bright, lightly sour and funky, less oaky than the '09 was fresh. Amazing apricot bouquet. Very enjoyable, sourness should increase with age. Another great vintage.

2011: Fresh, this one is less fruity and slightly more sour than the previous two vintages. Not as interesting to me as the '09 and '10 batches. Still very good.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord. Great store!

Pours a light... apricot... color, a cloudy yellow-orange with a relatively sparse, but dense head. Aroma is an immediate signature Cantillon sour yeast element, but ripe fresh apricots are blended beautifully into this one. The sour lemony acetic quality of the lambic is divine paired with the apricots in this. A joy to inahale. The taste is a blast of the sourness I adore from Cantillon paired with a complex fruitiness. What is biting into a fresh lemon at one moment tastes like sour apricots the next moment, or orange zest. If I dare sayso, this is one of the best authentic authentic fruit lambics I have tasted. Body is light, with tight medium carbonatioon that leaves me puckered. As sour as this is, the fruit really enhances everything from aroma to drinkability. Lasting tart apricot finish keeps me going back for another sip. Exceptional.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Bottled 8/09, consumed 5 months later. This is my first Cantillon beer, I'm excited to try it.

Pours with a finger of white head over a murky golden orange body. A quarter inch of foam sticks around begging to be swallowed away.

I can smell funk from 2 feet way. Sticking my nose closer, I actually get a bit more citrus fruit than I do tart funkiness (though it is definitely still there). Very appetizing, like apricot or peach flavored candy. Some light band aid and cobweb. Notes of white grapes, banana peel, and sunflowers. I can barely take my nose out of the glass.

Oh wow, the taste caught me off guard. Didn't catch too much acidity in the nose but the taste is another story. Puckering like someone just dumped sour powdered candy on my tongue. Rich, luscious fruit flavor underneath. Apricots, peaches, grapes, apples. After a few swallows the acid begins to become less surprising, and the deep funkiness underneath peeks through. I'm think I'm swallowing dirty gym socks. I feel like I just took a deep breath while changing my vacuum filter. But then that juicy citrus flavor comes rushing back with each sip temporarily wiping it all away...until it returns in the finish. My senses are stretched to their limits with the complexity of this wonderful liquid. As I swish it around my mouth before swallowing I am then greeted by the most pleasant, longest finish in my recent beer drinking memory.

Body is medium, perhaps medium/full for the style. Good levels of carbonation. Very dry, but enough citrus character sticks around to make for a long finish.

This glass is disappearing quickly, but the overall palate and sense destroying nature of it would make me want to limit my intake. Still, seriously drinkable for the style.

4.87/5  rDev +8%

75cl bottle with an awesome picture of an apricot on the label. No rust on the overwrap or crown...cool 2001 Edition. $30!

Cuvee FouFoune De Cantillon - Ingredients: Amitie 100% comprenant:

-Lambic Cantillon: biere de froment et de malt de fermentation spontanee, 2 ans de vieillissement en futs de chene.
-Abricots, variete Bergeron a raison de 300gr de fruits par litre de biere. Temps de maceration: mois.
-La planete Bergeron n'est visible que de la lune.

and so it begins...

Wow, I really though that the St. Lamvinus was the best lambic beer in the world, but this brew really gave the St. Lamvinus a run for its money! This brew was delivered to me courtesy of a beer trade.

Appearance: The hard pour reveals a peach coloured golden liquid, that is murky, milky and cloudy. The head is fluffy, white and large, but it fades quickly leaving only a trace amount of fluffy white bubbles on the perimiter of my drinking vessle. Personally, I think this looks awesome, but I have to dock it .5 on the appearance scale.

Smell: For a Cantillon the smell of this beer is very different and intriguing. The traditionl notes of earth, wood, barnyard funk, etc...are all here, but I also smell a lovely dry apricot aroma, and several distinctly different fruity aromas, these tend to be citrus-like in nature. Lemon peels, orange rinds, and dry fermenting peaches and/or apricots all come to mind.

Taste: Make no mistake, even though the aroma of this brew is very soft for a traditional Cantillon offering the taste is Cantillon all the way. The soft apperance and intriguingly fruity aroma of this brew only lead you blindlessly into the shocking taste of the first sip of this brew. This is incredibly acidic and sharp upfront. When the acidity finally subsides the citrus like tones of lemon, orange zest, and other fruits shines through. The middle is very dry (obviously) with hints of earth, barnyard, fruity, juicy apricots, and more. The finish is bone dry and saliva stripping with the apricots softening the blow of this brew a bit. All in all this is one fantastic tasting beer!

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel of this beer is very lively, carbonated, and lucious. The fine bottle conditioning of this ale make each and every bubble grasp onto your tongue and into the crevisces of your mouth, delivering a very high ratio of FPSI [flavor per square inch]!

Drinkability: The drinkability of this beer is exceptional, only marred a bit by the fact that this is just so damn acidic up front. Despite the soft apperance and different aromas of this brew, the taste is 100% cantillon all the way. However, I have to ask myself what a VERY fresh sample would taste like? The 3 years of aging surely stripped away some of the fresh fruit flavors and aromas and replaced them with some more classic lambic funk!

Overall: Holy shit, a mouth watering, saliva sucking, traditional Belgian lambic beer with Bergeron Apricots as the secondary sugar source? Who else, but Mr. Van-roy would think about, or attempt to make a beer like this, and suceed so damn well at it!? Do yourself a favor and pick this up if it is available at your local store. Sure it is $30 or so, but it is definately worth the price asked for it. Or, If you ever get over to Belgium you can get this for under $10 a bottle and haul some back with you. Not as perfect as there gueuze, or the insanely good (and expensive) St. Lamvinus, but it's pretty f'in close!

Jean Pierre Van Roy is simply one of the best brewers in Belgium, and the world! Cheers to you sir!

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Intense apricot and peach aroma. Awesome stinging carbonation. A tad bigger body compared to similar products. Quite a bit of sediment in my bottle (2012) which translated to extremely cloudy pours with floaters. Not a huge deal, but would have liked that brilliant orange everyone talks about.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: pours a light milky straw color. Less than a finger of a white head forms with a strong retention. as it swirls around semi solid lacing. it has a Milky haze and is completely opaque.

Smell: apricot, funky. Sour. Vinegar. Light wheaty base

Taste: opens with juicy apricots to nectarine flesh, lots of fruity flavors mostly citrus and stone fruit. in the middle comes a barnyard funk along with some solid oak flavors. lemon juice and a very light acidity comes through. slight wheat malt backbone. mild to low vinegar

Mouthfeel: lighter feel, quite a bit of funkiness but nothing over powering. some vinegar and a light acidity. very strong refreshing qualities.

Overall: a seriously killer beer. has all the funk you could want while remaining not only drinkable but refreshing as well. amazing fruit and sour qualities.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wife said it smelled like a mix of a gym locker and dirty socks. I told her that's an exquisite description and exactly what I was hoping for. Everything about this beer is stellar and lives up to the hype. Nearly flawless, gym sock funk and all.

4.86/5  rDev +7.8%

Fresh bottle (August 2015)

Pours crisp pale orange with slight haze. Huge stone fruit on nose with a touch of brett funk. Tons of apricot on the palate, with a soft acid bite and a subtle funk undertone. Fantastic beer. just wow

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

2009 vintage. Poured from a 750ml capped and corked bottle into a Cantillon Iris glass.

A: Pours a 2.5 finger frothy white head that never really dissipates and gives me a creamy mustache every time I take a sip. Beer is a clear goldenrod with a slight shade of faded orange. Lacing is near non-existant with patches that cling here and there.

S: Nose is mindblowingly funky. Hints of barnyard, straw, tart apricot, cobwebs, must. Tickles the nose throughout.

T: Opens very tart, puckering lemon and citrus with overtones of Brett funk. Apricot sourness sneaks in at the middle and takes this one to another level. Funkiness intensifies tremendously at the back end and towards the finish as it dries the mouth. Moth balls, cobwebs, and bandaid right at the end just before a clean finish and a brief, fruity, apricot finish.

M: Light to medium bodied and highly carbonated. Lively and prickly in the mouth at the start, dry towards the middle, and oily and slick at the end. Finish is clean with a non-lingering aftertaste.

D: I've experienced one or two offerings in my time so far that have redefined what I thought beer could be and how incredible it could taste. There's no doubt in my mind that this is one of those offerings. It's a beer that I'm almost scared to finish for fear of not know when it'll grace my lips again. Worth all the accolades it receives. A once in a lifetime drink.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

Poured from the bottle into a large tumbler at Churchkey during Zwanze day 2012. From notes.

A real nice orange amber pale lemon color, opaque and orb glowing. Head is presented with a thin creamy top of light off tan color, almost looks like a dolop of cream spooned on to it. A real nice looking lambic, it glows in the sunlight.

Nose hints with classic sour funky aromas, and apricot juice. Rind like zest peel, and dried apricot fruit, even goes into cherry like aromas, fascinating. Mouthwatering smell with a real balanced acid compliment.

Palate comes with a large fruit component in the first taste. Whaffs of apricot fruit and large juicy feel with a malt depth taken over by a good sourness. Biting rind of zest comes through with chewy apricot and sour. Not particularly tart, but sourness takes over the malt action keeping the fruit just slightly downplayed. The head comes with the palate and makes a wonderful creamy feel along with the thick fruit juice quality on this. Finish gives wonderful big pepper, a quick black pepper a little. It all feels real nice together this controlled apricot and cream and pepper and classic funk.

Overall I think this just might be my favorite Cantillon to date. This also drinks so incredibly easily, it was hard to nurse this I wanted to finish this in nothing flat it's so delicious and have more.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

750 mL bottle at the brewery. Shared between four people. Drank in May and reviewed from notes.

Pours a vibrant orange with a big white head. Slightly hazy. Decent retention considering the acidity of a lambic. Some lacing.
The aroma of fresh apricots melds wonderfully with the lactic and "barnyard" funk aromas of the Cantillon lambic.
The apricots come out in the taste as well and fit in perfectly. The lactic sourness and the flavor of the apricot gives it the taste of a wonderfully sour fruit. The brett funk adds complexity in the usual fashion of the lambic. There is a nice bread like malt character in the finish. Medium carbonation and light body.

Apricot lambic is a good idea.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

2012 Vintage Poured into Cantillon Stemware at 45 degrees.

A- Very hazy orange (apricot skin) with a white head about an eighth of an inch thick that doesn't seem to want to go away. Vigorous carbonation is evident, the bubbles seem to be rising to the surface at a champagne-like rate. No lacing is evident.

S- Classic cantillon barnyard with a citrus acidity similar to orange zest. Apricots are very evident as well, providing a sweet, tropical note to the funky lactic overtones.

T- I don't even know where to begin. Extremely complex. While the apricot is very mellow on the nose, it comes through with a huge tart stone fruit mixed with lemon zest and orange peel. Pretty much, I'm trying to say it tastes like apricots without saying the word apricot. After the apricot flavor dies off, there is an earthy flavor that makes way for a huge blast of lemon zest and lactic acidity that leaves you looking like a sour patch kid. A good two minutes after a sip, I can still feel the tingly sensation you get in your face after downing a whole bag of sour skittles and then eating the dust in the bottom of the bag. For someone who used to eat lemons as a young child, this beer is a dream come true.

M- Prickly carbonation with an extremely dry finish in addition to the extremely sour notes from the taste. I am literally sitting here sweating because of the level of puckering.

O- The aroma and flavor are absolutely the best part of this beer, which is nice since those are usually the two biggest factors in a beer for me. This one definitely looks great as well, but with the huge apricot aromas and the complex stone fruit flavors bouncing around with the brett funk and huge acid, the flavor and aroma are what make this a world-class beer. I'm glad I got to down a whole bottle of this by myself instead of the half ounce pour I was lucky enough to have at a tasting earlier this year.

4.85/5  rDev +7.5%

2013. Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a bright orange/yellow with a nice fluffy two finger head. Looks great. Smell is even better. So juicy, tart, loaded with apricots. Smells so fresh and vibrant. The taste its very apricot forward, with some funk on the backend. There's a decent amount of sourness here, but it doesnt take away from the fruit too much. Delicious. The mouthfeel is so creamy, coats the whole mouth with a fair amount of carbonation. The apricot and funk lingers for days. As it warms you get a few more flavors. Some green apple in there. Really glad I got to try this.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon