Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 486 | Hads: 2,494
4.8/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle, 2008 version...The beer pours dark peacy with a much darker center. The head is white, rises about a finger and is gone pretty quickly...The aroma is on the lighter side, light tart fruits, mixed with sourness. Not overpowering in either regard so its balanced giving some of what you look for in a fruit lambic...Holy moses, that's one sour beer. Didn't think it would be that tart from the aroma. Its got a huge tart bite sour, not a mucky horse blanker leather like a lot of Cantillon's. Here you get a lot more of the fruit not sweetness but the actual taste of apricots on the finish. Super balanced and flavorful...The feel is great, sticks to the mouth, very tannic...Drinkability is off the charts. It gives me everything I love about a lambic, sourness funk, but balanced enough that you can drink this all day, while at the same time not being such a fruit beer that's its super sweet or dominated by the apricot...Overall one of my favorite lambics, right up there with Blabear.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%

2009 vintage, 750ml capped and corked, split with my wife. Pours a lovely slightly hazed golden color, I swear there's apricot tints. A couple fingers of soapy white head build and are fed by mini tornadoes emanating from the bottom of the glass. Amazing.

First whiff reveals lots of barnyard funk, woody brett, sweaty horseblanket, urine. As it warms, a sweet tropical apricot comes out more and is quite prominent, so fresh, juicy and sweet. Mmmm.

While many of the Cantillons are acidic and bracingly tart, this one leans more to the fruity, funky side - which is aided by it's relative freshness. Light sweet apricot with a good dose of sweaty funk, a light woodiness, sour tarts. The sweetness actually balances out this beer, making it perhaps the most drinkable Cantillon I've had to date.

An absolute pleasure to drink and I am quite sad that this is being discontinued. A one time pleasure I guess... Thanks to Luk13 for the bottle in a trade.

4.14/5  rDev -8.2%

Draft at Tria on 6/6/10.

Pours hazy golden with hints of orange. Huge lingering fluffy white head.

Aroma is of deep barnyard funk, then some peach and apricot as it warms, along with a little mango. Only slight hints of citrus.

Flavor is nice sweetness and a delightful puckering sourness. As it warms, you pick up much more of the rich apricot flavor.

Mouthfeel is incredibly smooth and buttery, with great light carbonation. This is a sickeningly sessionable lambic that goes down way too easily.

4.43/5  rDev -1.8%

Thanks to whoever shared this at the first sexual chocolate release. It was my first time trying this fine lambic. Im very sad to know that this one will soon be retired. :( Hazy bright gold pour with thin fizzy off white head. Apricot aroma. Leather, horse blanket, apricot, and mango. Very tart, dry, crisp and refreshing

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

750 mL bottle, 2008 vintage, split with friends at Maxs.

Appearance is a cloudy, hazy pale straw gold with a thin fizzy white head that leaves minimal lacing. I'll be smelling this beer all night, long after I leave here. Extremely sharp, acidic and funky with mild apricot fruit sweetness and cheesy funk. It's hard to stop smelling this and actually taste it. Flavor starts initially apricot and oak sweet before becoming overwhelmed by acidic and vinegary sweetness which actually finds a way to become even sharper and more nasty funky in the finish. Not for the faint of heart or novice to the style, and maybe not the best bottle to represent this particular beer, but for a complex fruity and sour lambic this is near impeccable.

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

If anyone had ever wondered if Cantillon makes good sours, let me tell you right now that my mouth is salivating just thinking about Fou' Foune. This was one of the most palate destroying, mouth watering, sour grenades that I have had from Cantillon. Every sip was amazing. Bought at Toronado for $30. Thanks goes to James.

The appearance is oily, like most Cantillons. With a very tall pour, this thing produces a crisp white two finger head that left pretty fast. I imagine the acids and alcohol in this one would kill just about everything. The color is a golden color with a slight shade of ruby. The legs on this were intense, leaving trails that could be seen from across the room.

The smell is of juicy fruit, sour socks, musty teenage bedroom, stale barn, wheat grass, vinegar, peaches, apricot.

Taste is an explosion of fruits, peaches and apricots, every range of tart and sour that your palate can comprehend. Acidic, vinegar, oily mouthfeel, fruity sweetness. I am reviewing this from notes and my mouth is salivating like one of Pavlovs dogs.

The mouthfeel destroys. Anything and everything you can ever think of tasting is replaced by the juicy sourness that this body burns into your palate. The tart characters paired with the oily mouthfeel and perfect carbonation effects every part of your senses. It actually locked my jaw up a bit, the sourness got to be a bit much actually. This effected the drinkability a bit because my palate was fatigued after a while and it became a chore to keep torturing myself.

What a beautiful beer. Nothing in America can come close to Cantillon.

4.22/5  rDev -6.4%

On tap served in the wine glass style Cantillon glass at the Trappist in Oakland. From notes 04/28/10.

This beer is a slightly hazy blonde pretty much identical in color to the gueuze produced by the same brewery. Only a minimal head forms, typical of Cantillon's beers.

Aroma is somewhat surprisingly musty on tap, for some reason I was thinking this wouldn't have the same complexity as a bottled Cantillon. There's a notable fruitiness which helps round out of the funkiness but not I'm not sure I'd be easily able to identify it as apricot if I didn't already know.

Bracing, puckering, sour taste on the entry but this quickly gives way to the sweeter apricot notes to create a relatively clean and dry flavor profile. Although the fruitiness is still not intensely apricot it does remind me of the tart part of the fruit surrounding the stone. There's a fairly strong funky musty taste on the aftertaste.

Drinkability is similar to most Cantillon beers. Goes down easy but the tartness keeps it a sipper.

I'm glad I had a chance to try this since I can't seem to find it in bottles in my area. Since the apricots are so subtle, overall this is probably best described as a slightly sweeter version of their Classic Gueuze.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to both Dyan and Joe for sending bottles of this to me recently. One of my favorite Cantillons!

A: The pour from a 2009 bottle is a hazy light golden yellow color with very minimal white foam on top.

S: An intense nose as always. Tons of lactic acidity, lemons, apricots, and green apples. The oak is a bit more pronounced than usual with a really nice wet hay and barnyard funk.

T: This is certainly one of the most acidic and sour Cantillon beers out there. A very sharp lemony tartness followed by some apricot, but not overly intense. Wonderful wet and musty funk and heavy oak components.

M: Light on the tongue but a powerful sourness that is tongue-buckling to say the least. A nice dry and tannic finish.

D: Easily one of my favorite beers (from Cantillon or otherwise). I could drink this stuff all day, and I'm glad to have another bottle.

4.48/5  rDev -0.7%

I've had this beer numerous times...this review is based off of the best Fou'Foune I've ever had! Notice that it's been cellared for nearly 9 years.

Vintage 2001. Finally decided to break this one open. Poured from a 750ml magnum bottle. Poured into my Lindeman's champaigne flute. Pours a wonderful pale hazy copper color(slow pour)...with a pretty substantial white frothy head that dissapates down to about a half finger and remains there for a VERY long time. Leaves thick/though quick sliding fizzy white lacing.

Aroma is wonderful! Not much apricot left...possibly just a light crisp fruit, major funkiness. SUPER tart!

Wow! The most tart beer I've ever had! I've had a lot of sours...krieks, gueuzes, lambics...etc. This definitely "takes the cake" for the biggest tart factor! Very impressed though overall with the flavor. Besides the rediculous amount of puckering tart, theres really no apricot noticeable anymore...not that it hurts the flavor one bit IMO. The HUGE funkiness comes in after a couple seconds and has a long lasting aftertaste. Leaves a sweet and enjoyable flavor on the lips for a few minutes as well. High carbonation, tart, lemon/citrus, light body. As the beer warms up, the funkiness really comes in even bigger! Wow, what an extrordinary...off the wall beer!

4.52/5  rDev +0.2%

Review from notes on 12/13/09. On tap at Monk's Cafe.

A- cloudy pale yellow with a slight white ring for a head in a nonic 4.0

Sm- citrus and tart granny smith sourness, bit of yeastiness and pale malt, starfruit and a hint of mustiness. 4.5

T- very much like the aroma, but very pronounced acidic tartness. Hint of lemon zest and pepper. Quite good. 4.5

M- thin and smooth, slight prickle on the palate. 4.0

D- extremely. I can easily do a few of these. But they ran out shortly after. 5.0

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

750 mL bottle poured into a wine glass. 2009 vintage.

Pours a cloudy orange-tinted straw topped by a nice bright white head.

Loads of mouthwatering funk on the nose, begging me to take a sip. Light citrus follows along, and temperamental fleshy ripe apricots--the apricot aroma seems to only come forth when I set the glass down, wait a few moments, and take a sniff without swirling. If I swirl the glass, there's no apricot to be found. Wet hay and barnyard aromas round out the nose.

Razor-blade-like cutting sour notes on the palate. Dry and prickly, and almost needle-like. Dusty hay, funky, fruity, and absolutely delightful. Try it if you ever have the chance.

4.24/5  rDev -6%

Another Cantillon, so much fun. 2007 vintage. Beer is yellow and hazy. Forms a white head and true to the brewery leaves no lacing behind, that's fine.

Aroma is super sour, really tart. Smells awesome.

Slight sulfur, tastes kind of like flowers. I'm not picking up on the fruit so much. Its pretty sour. I think it smells better than it tastes. Overall drinkability is good and mouthfeel is good as well.

4.55/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Just love the way this beer looks pours a stale looking apricot orange dull and dirty unfiltered with an astringent white head loose and of its own kind. Carbonation bubbles cling to sides of my tulip in various spots.

Christ what a great smelling beer. Sour and funky with oaky undertones tart fruits slight bit of citrus and obviously that aroma of apricot.

Deliciously mouth puckering. Great sour middle and finish so fruity and delicious. Apricot really takes the lead with oak later on. Good acidity levels and perfect carbonation. Not nearly as thin as majority of sours out there and it really helps that out. But hell it is cantillon. Little heart burn kicking in from the acidity and funky undertones. Could drink this for hours on end.

4.42/5  rDev -2%

On tap at Capone's.

A: Pours a pale apricot with a nice white head. A bit of lacing and a minimal head that stays throughout.

S: Very, very sour with lots of apricot and white peach notes. A bit of funk and oak.

T: Loads of apricot with some very nice lactic sourness. A bit of funk, earth, and wood; mainly, though, this one is all about the sour apricot and I love it.

M: Fairly light bodied and incredibly dry and crisp. Very powerful acidity.

D: Very nice drinkability, although anything over 10oz. or so might get to be a little much. Overall, absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, blew Saint Lamnivus (which we had side-by-side) out of the water.

3.9/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from tap at Capones in Norristown into a sample glass.

A: A hazy yellow goldish with a one finger white head and full big glass lacing.

S: Tart fruits dominate with some yeasty funk and a bit of sweetness.

T: Tart tangy fruits dominate with apricot, peach, apple and pear. Very crisp with some faint hops bitterness. Yeasty earthy flavors fill in but never take over the fruit flavors. Nice beer.

M: Tart, tangy, full and no alcohol.

D: This is where the beer suffered for me. I just could only drink a small quantity of it before I was tired of it.

Overall a very good beer, but it just was a bit too much on the fruit for me. Still very glad I tried it.

4.05/5  rDev -10.2%

Fou' Foune. Now that's a pretty goofy name. My fellow dude-bros everywhere would taunt me mercilessly if they heard I drank it. Well, I had to throw down the 30 smackers that K&L wanted for a 750ml of this one since I saw the Cantillon crew pitting the apricots for it when I visited the brewery back in July '09. Those 'cots looked pretty damn good.

Well, this beer pours golden-orange, not too far off the color of an actual apricot. A well-formed whitish head sits on top.

The aroma is excellent, although very sour. Apricots dominate, along with some oak and earthy funk.

Flavor is sour apricots through and through. Very good, but not quite as awesomely fruity and flavorful as I had hoped. A little funky and extremely tart with some barrel notes.

Medium-bodied with very high acidity and somewhat effervescent carbonation.

Overall I really like this beer, although it's not quite as impressive as some other Cantillon offerings.

3.93/5  rDev -12.9%

750ml from Wilburs, $26, bottled in 2009.

A: pale golden yellow in color, stark white head, quite turbid. Small head to begin with and a fair amount of retention, nice 1/2in cap sticking around. Nice.

S: wheat malts, fairly funky, but more on the sweaty gym socks end of the spectrum, apricot jam. Not the most impressive smelling Cantillon.

T: the apricots are definitely there, and as others have noted more tart than it is overly sour. Great aftertaste of apricot jam. Lemon like tartness. Fairly light. A little bit of honey in there as well. Really lacks that strong funky intense profile that I would hope forInteresting.

M: light, dry, crisp, and lactic. Spot on here.

D: fairly easy to drink, this is definitely more of a summer beer. Not the most impressive beer from Cantillon but still very tasty. A little more expensive than I'd like but a nice beer. Glad to try it.

4.45/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a pale hazy yellow color lambic with a huge pure white foamy head with good retention and some great retention. Aroma of sour and tart notes are dominant and somewhat off-set by some light fruity apricot. Taste is a wonderful mix between some light apricot, some tart and sour notes with some well balanced acidity. Body is quite full with great carbonation. Very well made with a great balance between some tart notes with some fruit and well balanced acidity.

4.92/5  rDev +9.1%

2004 vintage drank alongside a 2005 Lou Pepe Framboise and a 2006 Lou Pepe Kriek. Like the other two beers, the cap had signs of rust on the inside, but the cork and beer were fine.

Pours a sunny orange with a tight white head that leaves a few spots of lace as it drops to a film and then nothing. The aroma is rich in apricot, but still has strong evidence of that lambic base, and has nice notes of barrel.

Huge apricot flavour places a wonderfully fruity imprint on anything. This beer tastes like summer in the south of France, and is all the better for it. There's certainly that quintessential Cantillon sourness, but its moderated by a delicate sweetness and this seems the most balanced of the three brews we had tonight. There's also a light funk, but its far lighter than the Lou Pepes. In a way, this is a far simpler beer, but i think better for it, and its hard for me to fault the flavour. The same applies to the body, which alternates between light and slick, but never becomes any less than refreshing.

This may well me my favourite fruit lambic - it transports me to a different place and whispers softly in my ear. A treat that I need to get more of!

4.63/5  rDev +2.7%

Appearance: Nice soft pour, couple inches of foam, no real lacing. Looks like soft apricots and hazy sunshine.

Smell: Best part of the beer, fresh apricots with a bit of sour/tart.

Taste: Great dichotomy between the sweet apricot on the bouquet and the biting acidity on the tongue, followed by apricot again on the finish. Has a nice, light, earthy horse blanket funk. There should be a rating for presentation. Very sour. Slightly chalky.

Mouthfeel: Soft, light but perfectly carbonated. I am always thankful for these low ABV sours.

Drinkability: High, this is now one of my favorite cantillons, right behind Blaeber

4.87/5  rDev +8%

Bottled 8/09, consumed 5 months later. This is my first Cantillon beer, I'm excited to try it.

Pours with a finger of white head over a murky golden orange body. A quarter inch of foam sticks around begging to be swallowed away.

I can smell funk from 2 feet way. Sticking my nose closer, I actually get a bit more citrus fruit than I do tart funkiness (though it is definitely still there). Very appetizing, like apricot or peach flavored candy. Some light band aid and cobweb. Notes of white grapes, banana peel, and sunflowers. I can barely take my nose out of the glass.

Oh wow, the taste caught me off guard. Didn't catch too much acidity in the nose but the taste is another story. Puckering like someone just dumped sour powdered candy on my tongue. Rich, luscious fruit flavor underneath. Apricots, peaches, grapes, apples. After a few swallows the acid begins to become less surprising, and the deep funkiness underneath peeks through. I'm think I'm swallowing dirty gym socks. I feel like I just took a deep breath while changing my vacuum filter. But then that juicy citrus flavor comes rushing back with each sip temporarily wiping it all away...until it returns in the finish. My senses are stretched to their limits with the complexity of this wonderful liquid. As I swish it around my mouth before swallowing I am then greeted by the most pleasant, longest finish in my recent beer drinking memory.

Body is medium, perhaps medium/full for the style. Good levels of carbonation. Very dry, but enough citrus character sticks around to make for a long finish.

This glass is disappearing quickly, but the overall palate and sense destroying nature of it would make me want to limit my intake. Still, seriously drinkable for the style.

4.67/5  rDev +3.5%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a thin layer of froth with some interesting floaters seen when held to light.

S: Hit with a wave of funk and apricots right from the pour! As I dig a little deeper I am finding some sweet fruit (not just apricot) nicely melding with a barnyard must. Still not sure how I enjoy that smell, but I do!

T: In a word, outstanding. The blend of the sour and then sweet fruit along with the oak and bit of vinegar is just right.

M: Light to medium mouth feel with slightly more carbonation that I anticipated from the pour. Finish a bit dry.

D: Really enjoying this one but it is a sipper.

4.54/5  rDev +0.7%

On tap at Capones...
Appears a hazy, light gold with a orange tinge when held to the light. A small white head floats atop the glass before slowly fading away into a tiny cap and leaving streaks/spots all around the glass.
Smell is of obvious apricots, peaches, nectarines, vanilla, tart notes of vinegar and funky hints of horseblanket,and perhaps a hint of passion fruit/mango blend.
Taste is of the aromas with more of an acidic presence making itself known in the form of soured peaches and green apple.
Mouthfeel is light bodied, tart, making one salivate...but easy drinking and perhaps even refreshing if given the proper setting.

4.65/5  rDev +3.1%

08 on draft at Capones.

A: Pale, hazy amber-orange body. Tight, compact head with decent retention before crashing into a spotty skim. Sporadic lacing left behind on the sides of the glasses.

S: Light, bright fruits. Apricots and peaches. Nice earthy tartness.

T: Reved up version of the nose. Potent tart apricots up front, sweet ripening peaches in the back end. Earthy, with a nice lactic punch.

M: Good weight to balance the semi-sweet/tart flavorings. A bit more slick than I'd like. Puckering feel lingers for a bit after each sip.

D: Pretty impressive offering from Cantillon. The flavor really carries the day despite some flaws in the mouthfeel department.

4.49/5  rDev -0.4%

on tap at monks
Pours a cloudy yellow with a small white lace.

The aroma is full of sharp tart apple with hints of dry fruit peel.

The flavor begins with sharp acidity blending with a carbonic bite. The sourness gives way to a light fruit flavor and then the acids take over and the finish remains tart.

Very drinkable the tartness dosent overwhelm and the beer is very refreshing.

Overall I found this beer to be an excellent pairing with monks pomme frites.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon