Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
4.61/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2011 bottle. Thanks to liamt07 for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy orange/yellow. One finger of white head formed and receded to a thin layer.

S - Sour and funky up front with very slight sweet apricot aroma.

T - The apricot is more prominent than in the nose but is not overwhelming. A huge sourness that is almost puckering.

M - Medium body, moderate to high carbonation.

4.65/5  rDev +0.2%

Holy crap. My jaw hit the floor when I saw this one sitting on the shelf in a small corner of Oregon. I have never, ever, EVER, seen a Cantillon on the shelf.

A - Pours a very cloudy, light orange with a large fluffy white head. It slowly fades to half.

S - Funk and horse blanket tones hit you first, then the sweet apricots follow.

T - A soft gentle apricot, slight sweetness, followed by a slight funk.

D - Thinner body with good carbonation.

O - A world class treat. I am so excited to drink this one. Clean, funky, fruity and good.

4.3/5  rDev -7.3%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 6/11/11
A top 100 for #1000 holy shit eh!!

A hazy golden orange with a nice two finger head that falls quickly after touching my hairy greasy lip, no lace looks like a lambic

S fresh apricot with a little vinous white grape and some mild earthy, woody funk. I can't get over how fresh and strong the fruit smells I could smell this all day, not overly complex but just plain brilliant

T fruits much more mellow compared to the nose and the funk comes out a little more. more earthy notes then I could smell with some grains

M little bubbles are abundant and give it life as soon as it enters your mouth, a little pucker too it and it leaves a little behind to savor

O smell alone could carry this one pretty far, loved the smell but only really liked all other aspects

I just can't get over how good this beer smells, I'm only merely impressed by the other aspects, solid stuff for sure and I'm not mad I have a few more to drink but I'm scared the fruit will fade if I age it. I may have spent my kids Collage fund on this stuff but this works well for me because as far as I know I don't have any kids. Yeah Me!! 1000 beers in and still no children Woooo Hooo!!!

4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

This lambic pours a mild yellow color with a thin head.

Apple and cherry notes greet the nose, followed by a good amount of funk. When I say a good amount, I mean that it doesn't overwhelm the olfactory gland.

The taste is full of sourness, bursting with cherry essence. It's not a "fruity" lambic per se.

Not much to "feel" at the back of the throat. The funk is restrained, which may turn off true fans of the style.

This is truly a balanced and highly enjoyable lambic. It's also somewhat rare around these parts.

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%

I had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago, poured into a Cantillon glass. It was on my top 3 list to try when I saw their draft list (where else in the Midwest would I find this beer on tap?). It was kind of light yellow colored, hazy, and initially had a huge head. The smell was sour and acidic with a hint of citrucy fruit. The taste was sour and tart with a very mild apricot flavor. It was awesome. I could have easily had more, but there were other beers to try.

4.6/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Adam, for the opportunity!

750ml bottle, bottled Aug 25, 2011.

It's pouring a cloudy yellow orange with a firm 2 finger head of foam. The lacing left behind is very impressive.

It smells very yeasty, fruity, sourish, funky, a very incredible aroma. There's no way that the taste can live up to the smell. No way.

And then...the taste. Apricots bring a light sweet flavour almost immediately over taken but tart and bitter fruit sensations. I note a yeasty and light funkiness here too. I find the fruity bitterness a bit surprising but more than welcome and the tart notes are done near perfection. My oh my, this is so damn good and drinkable. 5%abv helps make it so.

I wondered what the French/Belgian word for apricot was and it turned out to be abricot. Not as "interesting" as like names for cherry, raspberry, or peach so I reckon Fou' Foune will do nicely. ;^)

With plenty of carbonation and a lightish body, the mouthfeel is just right. This really is a fine drinking experience. I'm glad I got a chance to try it!!

750ml bottle, split and served on our last night on Sussex

2010 vintage - brought back from Brussels

appearance: very cool label - corked and capped, cork is removed to explosion of life...served in a delirium chalice - bright golden-orange body, active white foam

smell: wickedly tart - apricot, peach, sour grape, hay and straw, acidic

taste: very very tart - prototypical cantillon wild yeasts - the apricot adds a lovely complexity ripe with sweet fresh fruit. this twists the tongue like a gueuze and the tartness cuts the sweetness in a way that really confuses the taste buds (in a great way). As anticipated, very high quality stuff.

mouthfeel: sour, tongue buckling, light

overall: great

4.4/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thin white head disappeared rather quickly and leaves a small collar. Some lacing. PeAr colored body.

Wheewww! Smells like a horse's jock strap!

I'd give it a 9.5 on the sour scale. Apricot is nice.

Above average carbonation. Good mouthfeel.

Could drink a lot of this...yeah right. Loved it. Huge thanks to egrace84 for the share!

4.48/5  rDev -3.4%

Christmas eve beer, 2012 Vintage

A: Golden-orange with good clarity. Semi-aggressive pour into a Cantillon tulip produces about an inch of dense head that recedes fairly quickly to a layer of foam

S: Pure apricot with minimal funk. Great expression of the fruit.

T: Lots of fruit. Quite tart, but not over the top. As it warms up, a bit of woodiness shows up, but the fruit remains dominant.

M: medium-high carbonation. Fairly light in the mouth. Plenty of acidity to keep things lively.

O: I've never had this beer so fresh and it's quite remarkable to see how much fruit aroma and flavor it packs in. Great beer.

4.53/5  rDev -2.4%

This bottle is dated "Bottled: August 18, 2011". It's the youngest I've ever seen a bottle. This beer pours a slightly cloudy dingy tangerine orange in color with a slight white head that turns into a lacing around the edges of the glass. The aromas are of fresh, lightly sweet, and tart, juicy, mouthwatering candied apricots witha slight acidic sour. It has to be one of the most impressive noses of any lambic. The flavor features tart and juicy fresh apricot, plenty of sharp citric acidity, light oaking, must, and light funk. It has great flavor and finishes light and dry, which makes it even more drinkable. Overall this is one of the finest lambics I've had to date. This is my third time trying it and I appreciated it most this time, at just over three months old. It was a treat!

4.65/5  rDev +0.2%

on tap at farmers cabinet in philly

Pours a hazed golden yellow color with a haze of white head. Retains well while drinking, leaves wispy film and patches of lacing.

Extremely fragrant nose, big time funk and tart but with a pleasant balance. Some wheat and biscuit malt, spritzy and fruity with apricot and pear.

Decent sour blast right up front with some acid and fruit. Decent funk and yeast, balanced by some fruit sweetness and a noticeable amount of apricot. Lighter malt base with biscuit and tartness. Continuing sour notes with fruit, extremely balanced and pleasant while drinking. Finishes dry, tart, and lingers on the palate forever.

Lighter medium body, higher carbonation, dry and lingering after swallowing. Another absolutely wonderful beer from Cantillon - excellent flavor and great use of apricot.

4.83/5  rDev +4.1%

750ml bottle, 2008 version...The beer pours dark peacy with a much darker center. The head is white, rises about a finger and is gone pretty quickly...The aroma is on the lighter side, light tart fruits, mixed with sourness. Not overpowering in either regard so its balanced giving some of what you look for in a fruit lambic...Holy moses, that's one sour beer. Didn't think it would be that tart from the aroma. Its got a huge tart bite sour, not a mucky horse blanker leather like a lot of Cantillon's. Here you get a lot more of the fruit not sweetness but the actual taste of apricots on the finish. Super balanced and flavorful...The feel is great, sticks to the mouth, very tannic...Drinkability is off the charts. It gives me everything I love about a lambic, sourness funk, but balanced enough that you can drink this all day, while at the same time not being such a fruit beer that's its super sweet or dominated by the apricot...Overall one of my favorite lambics, right up there with Blabear.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%

2004 cork dated 750ml bottle poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Fou' Foune is a hazy, darker gold with a off-white collar and skim.

Smell is super funky, pushing burnt rubber, but in an enticing manner for lambic lovers. As it warms, it gains a soft honey sweetness, although it's very faint. Finally, the apricots flirt through, very nice, wow!

Taste fails to disappoint, this is about as funky as it gets. Four years in, any traces of the famed "Bergeron" apricots are long gone, but I've always preferred pure lambics to fruit ones anyways. As the palate adjusts to the intensity of the sourness, the sweetness starts to cut through, but any hints of the fruit are probably subliminal - if I didn't know the label, I wouldn't recognize them now. Still, I love sours, and this reigns supreme.

Mouthfeel is puckeringly tart, with a medium body for the style.

Drinkablity is precious, if you've come this far and shelled out the dough ($30 in my town) then you'll probably wish you'd be able to drink another bottle. Chances are, you can't. I'm saving the dregs for homebrew. If I come close, I'll drink it all day long, albeit not terribly quickly. This is as sour as it gets! A special vintage bottling indeed.

4.73/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Adding Aug 2011 bottle sampled 5/27/12. The fruit is so much fresher and really pops. I can actually taste the apricot where as the aged bottle was much more sour and less fruit forward. I recommend drinking this fresh as possible.

Bottled August 2010. Courtesy of a generous Texas trader, can't recall exactly, poor job by me.

Pours a hazy dark golden color, almost orange, with a nice fluffy white head. A bit of spotty lacing and a minimal head that stays throughout.

Aromas begin with a lot of lactic acidity, lemon, peaches and tart green apple. The oakiness emerges as it warms with a really nice wet hay and barnyard funk.

The tastes directly follow the nose with loads of apricot/peach mixed with some very nice lactic sourness. The funk, earth, and wood emerge more and more as it warms. The lactic sourness and fruity apricot and pretty equal here; I credit that due to the age as I have been told this is much more apricot forward when fresh.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is dry and acidic but not overly so; pleasantly sour and tart in the finish but by no means the sourest or Brett forward beer I have ever had. Really in balance overall which is how I like pretty much all my beers regardless of style.

Overall this is world class, no bones about it. Flavor profile is exactly how you would want a fruited lambic to be, balance of fruit and funk is second to none. I don't think I would drink anything but Cantillon from June-August if I could readily track it down, but alas that will never happen. I prefer St. Lamvinus to this slightly but that is a personal preference, both are the two best Belgian lambics for my money.

4.33/5  rDev -6.7%

750 ml bottle split and poured into a Duvel tulip. 5% ABV, Bottled 25 August 2008.

Yet another big thanks to alcstradamus for supplying out tasting with crazy-ass brews like this one!

A - Totally hazy golden yellow beer that has a low off-white head. Poor retention is acceptable for how acidic it is. No lace is left over at all.

S - Wow. Manure for the first time ever. Barnyard funk with an interesting acidity that gets stronger with a swirl. The apricot is moderate to low in the aroma and somewhat lost to me. I would really, really love to have more of the fruitiness pull through in this one, but then again, it could be the age.

T - Insanely sour, it has just taken over the top spot of most sour beer I've ever had. Pure sour dryness overwhelms the palate like super-sour Fundip powder. Mild apricot pokes through with a huge barnyard funk. Again, I wish there was more fruit.

M - Holy sour Batman! This is crazy, super tart and sour with a crisp carbonation bite. Very light apricot sweetness lingers through the sour finish.

D - A bit of rot-gut ensues from the acidity in this beer. Great brew but it's a sipper and definitely best split a few ways I'd say. Thanks again Adam!

4.18/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a pale golden orange in color with pale yellow highlights and a nice thin bubbly head that left some good frothy lacing sticking to the glass. Definitely had the signature cantillon bretty barnyard funk upfront on the nose with fresh peach apricot fruit notes, good citrusy notes with oak wood and nice acidcy for sure. The peachy apricot fruits came acroos more on the palate alongside great sour acidic notes with oaky wood accents which brought out more flavors, a touch of vanilla and plenty of brett barnyard horse blanket character to go around. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a fruity, semi sweet, bretty funky, woody, acidic sour and dry finish. I definitely dig this beer all around but I thought the 09 vintage was way better.

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

4.96/5  rDev +6.9%

Bottle of 2010 vintage, poured in July of 2011.

Hazy light yellowish wheat appearance, like a wheat beer or light gueuze maybe. Or maybe the color of apricots but a little lighter. The lighting was poor when I poured this one so don't trust my comments here too much.

Smells wonderful. A blast of super sweet apricots. Sourness is barely detectable beneath the overpowering apricot aroma.

Taste does not follow from the nose exactly as this one is definitely very sour. The amazing apricot flavor is there as well. Very acidic but also sweet and extremely fruity. Maybe not quite as sour as its reputation would have you believe (the Lou Pepe Framboise we opened the same night was at least as sour if not more so, and the regular Cantillon Kriek is more sour than either to my taste) but still very sour and very, very delicious.

This beer is just insanely good, the fruit and sour flavors are both world class and coexist perfectly, you couldn't ask for more from a lambic.

10/10