Join our email list →

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 498 | Hads: 2,575
3.73/5  rDev -17.5%

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, poured into a Cantillon stem glass!
A: A cloudy light orange look, what a great color. Very consistent, the clouds don’t float around its extremely cloudy all over rather than in spots.
S: Sour and funky, like most cantillon lambics. It has that “Belgian” smell to it and I don’t really detect any fruit.
T: Sour all over, much more than anything else they make. Tastes somewhat like their gueuze but nothing special. Lots of carbonation in this one.
M: Sour with some apricot and peach notes on the end of the palate.
O: I’m really disappointed with this beer. I had really hoped this would be amazing as it’s impossible to find and everyone wants to try it. Really, it reminds me of their gueuze, just not as good. Certainly not bad and I’d try it again but I wouldn’t jump through the hoops that people do to try this (it’s just not worth it). B to B + range.

4.4/5  rDev -2.7%

On Tap at Anam Cara: Boy am I lucky or what..

Pours a light golden peachy color with a slight minimal white head that leaves no lace. Initial aromas are pungent and citric, with just a slight hint of fruit and some of those classic barnyard aromas. For flavor this brew is crisp and delightful. There is a beautiful balance between the sourness and a slight sweet fruity like flavor that can best be described as a citrusy lemonade.. Following there is a nice bite of tartness to the brew, and a refreshing carbonation. Overall this brew is highly drinkable, though I would never think that Cantillon would use apricots in a beer, but hell it works.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%

2010 bottle purchased and split at Lord Hobo - a pretty delightful surprise. Served in a tulip.

It really does look a lot like carbonated orange juice. The body is a pale yellow-orange, lighter around the edges of the glass. Fairly murky. A very small white head fades pretty quickly, but leaves nice lacing around the glass.

The smell is pretty close to flawless. There is more fruit in the nose of this beer than any other Cantillon I've tried. My first impression is of barnyard funk and tart sourness, but underneath there is a huge apricot presence. Freshly picked fruit, sweet and bright, only becomes more prominent as this warms.

There's also a tremendous amount of apricot in the finish. There are a lot of vinous, tart, lactic funk notes in the taste, with a lingering sourness that almost burns the back of my throat. But, like the smell, the support base of all that funk is a wealth of apricots. The fruit is so vibrant, like no other sour beer I've ever had. Simultaneously refreshing and multilayered.

The mouthfeel is spot-on, with a perfect level of champagne-like carbonation. I could have easily taken down a bottle myself.

Though I'm curious to try an older vintage, I couldn't imagine enjoying this beer without the fruitiness. A phenomenal expression of natural sweetness and a superb lambic.

4.74/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours light yellow with a big head. Head dissipates slowly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Ar: fruity and sour dominate. Apricots are unmistakable.

T: apricot fruit and sourness dominate the flavor. Possibly the best sour beer I have ever tasted in my life. The perfect mix of sour tartness with fruity sugar to create an amazingly balanced experience.

M: very effervescent. Bubbly on the palate makes an otherwise thin beer more full bodied.

O: amazing. Had this beer at the brewery which only added to the overall experience. Love it. Balanced yet nuanced. Every sip presents something new.

4.21/5  rDev -6.9%

Thanks to Alex for this bottle. 2010 cork, out of my Lost Abbey stemware.

A- A very bright golden peachy color. A nice foamy white head, retains a ring around the edge for what seems like forever.

S- Pungent sour and funk, touches of lemon and apricot skins. Some vinegar and tannic scents, very strong.

T- The biting sourness hits almost instantly, very dry and fruity, lemon, peach, apricot. There is some vinegar sourness, just crazy funky.

M- A little bubbly at times, but pretty much perfect for the style. This is a total palate wrecker though, just so soury.

O- Overall, if you like sours this is one of the better Cantillons I've had. I found the fruit to be quite pronounced, and prevalent. A very dry and sour beer.

-GFunk

4.83/5  rDev +6.9%

From Bottle . . . 8-11 was the date on it

A- Cloudy Rusty Straw and a light orange

S Apricots, Aged Cheese and some nice funk

T- A sour peach, very yeasty, champagne sour and delicious

M- lots of bubbles but a real dry finish... nice and smooth body

O- Oh My God!! This has to be one of the best beers ever....
My frist Cantillon and it sure as hell will not be the last.

4.62/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared by Sarro at our recent Holiday tasting.

A: Light orange yellow. White foamy head.

S: Citrus funkiness.

T: Much like the smell. Lots of citrus funkiness that gives way to some wonderful dried apricot notes. Great balance between sour and sweet.

M: Well carbonated. Light boided. Refreshing. Good break from BA stouts.

O: Great sour. This one deserves the hype that is has. I hope to cross paths with this one again.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

750mL 2010 split two ways.

A - clear golden with a finger of white head, a few spots on the glass.

S - fresh apricots, lemon, a touch of oak with even less funk apparent in the nose.

T - Delicious ripe apricots, peaches, tart green apples, lemon rind, and a lingering funk. Very bright but well balanced.

M - light body and carbonation glides over the tongue and finishes crisp and dry.

The first time I had this beer it was 6 years old and it was a sour bomb. The fruit was barely kicking, but it was still enjoyable. I would have to say I prefer the fresh bottles for the great balance of sweet and sour. My favorite fruit lambic to date.

4.76/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours murky yellow gold

S: funky

T: sour, acidic, funky, cheesy, then a little apricot

M: acidic

Overall: very good beer that develops in ur mouth and takes you for a great cantillon ride!

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Super transparent, pale yellow in color, Absolutely no head. But some slight bubbles running up the side of the glass.

S: The smell is honestly like a wet dog (but I like it). Also the longer it sat, the more the fruit came out. Aside of the funky wet dog, it smells like a dried fruits.

T: HOLY CRAP!!! SOUR, SOUR, SOUR!!!! Oh my goodness this is ridiculous!!! Unbelievable.

M: Pucker, pucker, pucker, pucker, pucker. The sour lasted for over 3 minutes too. AWESOME.

D: Honestly, as awesome as this brew is; one and done.

4.95/5  rDev +9.5%

Straight from the bottle at Cantillon, 20/5/15.
Mild acidity, apricot is present, and the lack of added sugars keeps the entire beer in a phenomenal balance.

4.7/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

damn good beer.

pours cloudy orange with a big foamy head that dissipates almost immediately. p-funk nose, that's got a dirty earthy "horse blanket" thing going on. tastes sour, with a mild apricot thing going on. the apricots aren't super prevalent, they're just there sort of as a back up.

solid beer, get if you can.

4.33/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

peach color, nice and murky,, big foamy white head....
nose is some citrus, peach, apricot, and sour notes...
taste follows with a nice amount of funk added....
creamy mouthfeel and good carbonation....
very tasty...

4.05/5  rDev -10.4%

Picked this up at Smokeless Joe in Toronto. Pours a lovely hazy peach colour with a white head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell was very pungent, very sour yeasty smell, but similar to the other Cantillon I tried. Taste was a tart if not downright sour apricot that was very dry. It was a very mouth-puckering mouthfeel that dries out the mouth. All these comments sound rather negative, but I really liked the taste, it makes you feel alive, and in my case, more sober for the long walk home. I would recommend this as it is a very good example of a Lambic, like it ot hate it.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

On tap at Brouwer's on 5/26/11 poured into champagne glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light orange color with thin white head, no lacing left around glass.

S: Really bright with ripe, tart apricots in the forefront, some funk, earthy and citrus notes are detectable beneath the powerful apricot aroma.

T: This is fantastic, really tart with lots of fruit from the apricots, sour with not much sweetness. Like the aroma there are some funky and earthy flavors that go along perfectly with the tart fruit. My favorite lambic I have had to date.

M: Very tart with moderate carbonation, finishes pretty dry.

O: I really love this, the apricot goes along perfectly with all the funky, earthy flavors and sourness of the lambic. Absolutely delicious and highly drinkable, another incredible creation from Cantillon.

4.59/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2011 and 2012 side by side in taster glasses
L: beautiful hazy Apricot, head dissipates quickly but a thin layer stays on the 2012
S: fresh and dried apricots. A little funk
T: same as the nose. nice tartness, more so in the 2012. 2011 has more dried Apricot.
F: body from the sweetness, tartness.
O: excellent. Prefer the 2011, but only slightly.

4.54/5  rDev +0.4%

On tap at Beachwood Sourfest 2011

5.5 oz pour into a taster flute (had 3 of these)

Pours a nice murky yellow with fuzzy white fluff coating the edges of the glass and topping the body.

Why don't more beers use truck loads of apricots in them? The smell is outstanding. Extremely fresh apricots laced with lemon rind and sprinkled with a delicate peppery spice. So simple, but done to perfection.

Taste follows with the same idea. Very well balanced between the juicy apricot and acidic lemons.

Mouthfeel is nice a creamy. I wish it were a little more acidic, but can't knock it too much since I enjoyed it quite a bit and it makes it hard not to overlook any flaw.

Very glad I got to try this. My only problem is that my girlfriend absolutely loved it so now I have to find a bottle or two for a special occasion. Oh well, can't complain.

3.61/5  rDev -20.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Awesome man. Just opened a bottle of this during a tasting at my house.

I don't like sours. Hence the avatar.

This one looked pretty good. Yellow, hazy with a nice two finger head.

smells pretty much like a saison. Bready, yeasty. Horse blanket?

Taste was fairly pleasant. Not too sour. Mind you I just done a blind quad tasting and a Darkness vertical. I could actually taste fruit like apricot and the bready yeasty flavors I love in saison...

Feels like a mouthfull. Not like a big B elgian pale ale but still pretty full. medium body with medium carbonation.

Still not converted but I would drink this again when offered.

4.28/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From tasting notes when I had this on draft. Pours a hazy yellow, orange color without much head at all. The aroma is bright stone fruit and lemon. Not getting the funk I expected. Taste is bright, tart lemon with apricots, more earthy than funky. Mouth feel is medium bodied and crisp making this very drinkable. It still needs time to develop some more complexity, but still excellent.

4.32/5  rDev -4.4%

Tap at Spuyten Duyvil. No vintage reported. Poured a glowing, full hazy, bright orange with powerful carbonation and a thin but persistent white head leaves swathes of lace. Nose is amazing geuze character: bright citrus, lemons, tropical melons, sweat, salt water. Taste is full sour with amazing fresh fruit character though one specific fruit is impossible to pinpoint. "Apricot" is not necessarily evident as much as some medley of tropical melons and tangerines. Some slight eggy suplhur character comes in and out but does not detract too much from what is a massive lactic body that is zippy on the palate. Very refreshing, very sour. Can’t wait to crack some vintage bottles. 9/20/2010 9/4/8/5/16=4.2

750mL 2011 bottle. The fresher this beer is, the better. More of a juicy Yellow Bus style peach nose with fuzzy skin and rich juice. Taste is not quite as aggressive. Really nice- not one I think is worth to hoard but rather to crack open immediately.

4.72/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a golden orange honestly it is the color of an apricot. The beer has a big head that leaves some lace. The aroma is lots of barn-yardiness, but with a lot of apricot fruitiness in there as well with some both clean and dirty laundry. The flavor smacks you in the face right away with apricot, fresh, delicious apricots. The beer is very very sour. It's also really dry with a dryness akin to say a brut. The fruitiness continues with some lemon rind earthy on sour notes. Dominantly this beer is packed with sourness and apricot flavor. The palate is fizzy but remarkably full and easy to drink. Just one damn fine beer.

Started the year off right with my first ever Cantillon. Fou demolished my already high expectations.

A - Pretty orange hue, thick dense white head.
S - WOW, slight funk but huge fruity presence.
T - WOW AGAIN, I have been building up my cellar and my palette trying the very best I could excluding Cantillon so I would truly appreciate awesomeness when it happened. Well it did.
M - Honestly I have to admit that the mouthfeel of this beer and what I would imagine all other Cantillon taste like, may be the best part about this beer. Smooth creamy full.
Overall - I debated for a good two days before the new year whether I wanted to crack this open or save it, glad I opened it to enjoy the creamy fruity deliciousness.

4.18/5  rDev -7.5%

Tap at toro 1st annv. Must of been a half barrel as it's lasted a couple days. Very excited to try because i just bought a bottle and wanted to see how long to age it. I'd say 2-3 years in bottle will be perfect. Had next to beatification batch 2, which was much more sour, and it was great to go back and forth between the 2. Apricots come thru but only when it warmed up and on the super long finish. A femenin brew but personaly i enjoyed this cold as it was so refreshing. Too bad it's not available all the time and around $10 for a 750 because it is the perfect summer brew. Very nice and again a pleasure to have a shot at this on draft.

4.8/5  rDev +6.2%

Deceided to break this one out a night early and not wait until New Year's Eve. Happy New Year regardless to everyone having a beer to ring in the New Year. Fresh 2011 bottle, recently acquired.

A - Poured from a chilled bottle into my awaiting glass. Pours a hazy hay yellow with a pretty energetic head that snaps, crackles, and pops before settling down.

S - Fruity with a floral scent as well. Some yeast and bready backbone as well. Very appealing.

T - Some might ding this a bit for not being overly sour or missing a big bite, but I find this to be in one word perfect. The fruit is there with just the perfect amount of tartness to make this refreshing and crisp. Some light acid to tickle the tongue and missing the overly pucker power of other Cantillons. I would describe this as being the perfect sourish beer for people who don't like to be assaulted. The composition allows this to not be overly sweet or tart but to blend both in a fashion that will probably please everyone.

M - Very light, crisp, and refreshing. Bubbly and a perfect beverage for New Year's Eve, I was just 24 hours early.

O - For me, my favorite Cantillon beer that I have had (including Blabaer). I have a couple more bottles of this but can see myself making the plunge for more.

4.56/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me a sour Magic Hat #9... Just kidding. Had it on tap at Armsby Abbey, in Worcester, MA for Zwanze Day. Very well balanced for the style. Apricot flavors abound, and sour notes dance on the tastebuds without taking over like many in this style do. Just the right amount of funk.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon