Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 470 | Hads: 2,411
4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a golden orange honestly it is the color of an apricot. The beer has a big head that leaves some lace. The aroma is lots of barn-yardiness, but with a lot of apricot fruitiness in there as well with some both clean and dirty laundry. The flavor smacks you in the face right away with apricot, fresh, delicious apricots. The beer is very very sour. It's also really dry with a dryness akin to say a brut. The fruitiness continues with some lemon rind earthy on sour notes. Dominantly this beer is packed with sourness and apricot flavor. The palate is fizzy but remarkably full and easy to drink. Just one damn fine beer. (626 characters)

4.18/5  rDev -6.7%

Tap at toro 1st annv. Must of been a half barrel as it's lasted a couple days. Very excited to try because i just bought a bottle and wanted to see how long to age it. I'd say 2-3 years in bottle will be perfect. Had next to beatification batch 2, which was much more sour, and it was great to go back and forth between the 2. Apricots come thru but only when it warmed up and on the super long finish. A femenin brew but personaly i enjoyed this cold as it was so refreshing. Too bad it's not available all the time and around $10 for a 750 because it is the perfect summer brew. Very nice and again a pleasure to have a shot at this on draft. (644 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

750ml corked and capped bottle purchase at the Charleston Beer Exchange. 2009 vintage, I believe.

A: Pale golden color with 3 finger white head. Lots of murky stuff in there. You can really tell this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered.
S: Funk! Vinegar and sour fruits come out first. This is followed by a nice apricot aroma. The last thing you smell is almost wrong (dirty diaper).
T: Sour apricots with more vinegar. Nice touch of brett in the aftertaste.
M: Very sour, though not quite on the level of St Lamvinus. Tart and bubbly on the tongue. Very nice and dry.
D: I am not going to kid myself here. It is a wonderful beer and it covers everything a true lambic should be. However, drinking a whole bottle would likely destroy my stomach. Not perfect, but still pretty close.

This was another wonderful beer from Cantillon. They are still one of the top breweries in the world, in my opinion. (903 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%

A: Cloudy golden with a large white head that takes some time to settle.

S: Serious sweet apricot aroma with a slight tartness in the back that suggests strawberries and raspberries.

T: Initial fruity sweetness lingers for a few moments before a nice mild herbal bitterness asserts itself in the middle. The lactic acid blends beautifully with the apricots. The fruit comes back at the end with a bit of a tartness.

M: Bubbly, yet smooth. Very flavorful but not too assertive in body. Just a touch dry.

O: Definitely my favorite fruit lambic, though overall I still prefer Iris. The apricots here are really quite sublime, and the entire beer is amazingly delicate yet rich in flavor. (688 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Deceided to break this one out a night early and not wait until New Year's Eve. Happy New Year regardless to everyone having a beer to ring in the New Year. Fresh 2011 bottle, recently acquired.

A - Poured from a chilled bottle into my awaiting glass. Pours a hazy hay yellow with a pretty energetic head that snaps, crackles, and pops before settling down.

S - Fruity with a floral scent as well. Some yeast and bready backbone as well. Very appealing.

T - Some might ding this a bit for not being overly sour or missing a big bite, but I find this to be in one word perfect. The fruit is there with just the perfect amount of tartness to make this refreshing and crisp. Some light acid to tickle the tongue and missing the overly pucker power of other Cantillons. I would describe this as being the perfect sourish beer for people who don't like to be assaulted. The composition allows this to not be overly sweet or tart but to blend both in a fashion that will probably please everyone.

M - Very light, crisp, and refreshing. Bubbly and a perfect beverage for New Year's Eve, I was just 24 hours early.

O - For me, my favorite Cantillon beer that I have had (including Blabaer). I have a couple more bottles of this but can see myself making the plunge for more. (1,271 characters)

4.33/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

peach color, nice and murky,, big foamy white head....
nose is some citrus, peach, apricot, and sour notes...
taste follows with a nice amount of funk added....
creamy mouthfeel and good carbonation....
very tasty... (216 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled Aug 16 2006

A: Pours a turbid, faded straw color with an off-white head that quickly fizzles to a ring. Bit of white lacing can be seen on the glass.

S: Very sour. Aromas of lemon, wild yeast, hint of peach flesh.

T: Unbelievably delicious and refreshing. Extremely sour -- pretty much as sour as it gets. Puckering. Flavors are a bit like the nose, very acidic with hints of tangy fruit flesh.

M: Fairly light in body, well carbonated, fairly silky on the palette.

D: If you're craving sour, this does the trick. Worth every one of the $25 it costs. Extremely sour but easily drinkable for someone versed in lambics. Would buy again. (649 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottling

A: Slightly hazy tangerine colored brew, bone white and wispy head.

S: Sharp apricot both fresh and candied, some tropical fruit, Cantillon funk that is lies underneath the bright fruit. The funk is a larger part of the beer but I love this fresh apricot stacked on top.

T: Sour, lemony funk and light spice that is completely permeated by fresh apricot. The balance lies in favor of the fruit with lemony sourness on the other end of the see-saw. If I can divvy up the components, I'd say 65% fruit, 35% funky sour.

M: Light, bright and prickly carbonation, clean but not too dry. The fruit in this young lambic is still saliva-inducing. I always appreciate Cantillon's ability to keep a healthy amount of carbonation 15-20 min after you pour it without going flat like many American wild ales.

O: No disappointment here. I've been wanting to try this for a long while. Cantillon keeps supplying a consistent, clean and funky brew that leaves no doubt nor regrets. (985 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +8.3%

750 ml bottle from Moeder Lambics in Brussels into a Cantillon stemmed bowl glass

Been dying to try this and since the brewery was out, bye bye Euros. Hope it's worth it.

A - yellowish-orange, clear, one finger of white, fluffy head. Dissipates slowly

S - bitterness, funk , apricots, fruity heaven. Fruit is apparent without being overpowering. Nothing could stop me from consuming this divine nectar

T - tart, fresh, apricots. Clean finish. Fantastic. Crisp. No lingering anything. This is apricot. How the hell do they take a fruit I dislike and create a beer I cherish? Every drink causes tingling explosions of fruit but finishes crisp. Hats off to the boys at Cantillon again.

M - clean. Coats the palate but dissipates quickly. Leaves you wanting more immediately.

O - I could go on and on about this amazing brew. Cantillon doesn't make a "bad" offering, this one is great. Bottom line, if you have even a remote interest in this style, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. Even if you don't like the style, if you find it, drink it, odds are your mind will be changed. The price tag was hefty but zero regrets. Drinking it at Moeder just added the cherry (or apricot) on top. (1,199 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -5.1%

2010 bottling. This has been a long time coming. My store got a delivery of this and Cuvee des Champions last week. The delivery was a whopping 2 bottles of each.

Pours a pale tangerine, a little sallow, with a 2 cm eggshell head.

This smells much less tart or funky than I expected. Maybe that will change over years. Mostly oak, apricot, and salty air. It's very restrained.

And, sour kick in the throat thank you very much! I don't know if I would pick out apricots if I didn't know they were there. It's a little fruity, but I taste much more oak and acidity. I would easily believe that this was a gueze and the fruity aspect was a yeast byproduct. There is also a seltzer water nuance that's kind of distracting. But it's still a Cantillon through and through, and it's delicious.

Excellent tingle, medium body, and just dry enough.

As much as I liked this, I can't justify spending the extra $10 to $12 over Gueze, Kriek, or Iris. It's really not better than them, and IMO, Iris is still the best one out there. (1,023 characters)

4.84/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer multiple times during the last 2 – 3 years both draft & bottled. I have bought a case of it at some point. I must say that I am a bit puzzled by the American interest in this beer because age does not benefit this beer as is the case with quite a few of Cantillon fruit beers. Nowhere is freshness such a big factor as it is with Fou’ Foune. The fresher you drink this beer, the better. Fou’ Foune is at its peak during the 6 weeks after bottling, max. maybe 9. After that it is pretty level for most of its life span af far as I can see. It has a low point 6 months in or so, improves slightly after a year or so and stays level afterwards.

It is a good beer once it has peaked but it is for me personally bit of a downer compared to how ridiculously good it is fresh.

Review for a fresh bottle (75 cl.) @ brewery:

A: murky yellow apricot colour with a slight orange hue and a super firm lambic-styled head which doesn’t even vanish after you have finished your glass.

S: ridiculous, pure apricots, slightly mashed super juicy apricots, ripe and within seasons, the kind that are impeccable.

T: this tastes basically like a glass of apricot compote but even better than compote is, fresh there is no “complexity” in this but who needs complexity when your beer tastes this good? Also getting some slight yeast, slight flour-like feeling, smallest hints of barnyard and lemon (smallest hint). No tartness and no real sourness to speak of, this is almost real fruit sugars sweet.

B: luckily not too much carb. full juice and slight touch of flour body.

2012 one was way better fresh than the 2011 one, great harvest I assume?
By better I mean 2011 was nice, 2012 was mind-blowing.

Not sure about the score, fresh 2011 was around 4.6 – 4.7.
Fresh 2012 was almost 5. Aged ones were around 4.1 – 4.4.
Going to calculate mainly the fresh ones give it around a 4.8. (1,908 characters)

Refreshing apricot! so natural and real.
(16oz)
Pour- light hazy orange
Smell- Apricot and wild Belgium yeast.
Taste- Fresh apricot, with a Belgium twist.
O- very dangerous beer, too darn good. (193 characters)

4.86/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wife said it smelled like a mix of a gym locker and dirty socks. I told her that's an exquisite description and exactly what I was hoping for. Everything about this beer is stellar and lives up to the hype. Nearly flawless, gym sock funk and all. (246 characters)

4.22/5  rDev -5.8%

On tap into an 25 cL glass at Novare Res on 12/15/11.

a: golden with a white head.

s: complex, sour, lemon zest, dried hay, I can see why some people say "horse blanket" but not sure I can call that as I don't think I've ever tried smelling one of those, but it has a wild animal funk (not in a bad way).

t: sour, citrusy, some champagne-like flavors, fermented white grapes, yeasty.

m: crisp, refreshing, good carbonation, no complaints here at all.

o: I'm pretty new to sours and this is honestly an awesome experience. I would highly recommend this beer. My wife even liked it a lot as it seemed more champagne-like than what one thinks of as a typical beer. Very complex overall. (688 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again. (1,766 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A - Golden and hazy with a foamy head that dissipates into a thin layer.

S - Amazing. It smells like super funky citrus with a stone fruit backing. It makes my mouth water.

T - Taste follows the nose. Tart with typical cantillon funk. The apricots are juicy tasting in this beer.

M - Moderate carbonation with a drying smooth finish.

O - Worth the hype. Very funky, juicy lambic that is done to perfection. (415 characters)

4.91/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Found a 2014 bottle at Jazz Bar in Barcelona. Amazing looking beer with depth of color changing in the light. The smell is incredible the sour funk an apricots, lovely. The taste is just smile inducing, could drink it day after day, depth is the key sour, fruit, funk and smooth clean finish. (292 characters)

4.29/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Brewed aug 25, 2011. Poured into Duvel tulip glass on Jan 22, 2012.
Re reviewed 2nd bottle from same brew date on March 31, 2013

Appearance 3.5/4
Hazy honey yellow with a ¾ inch of an effervescent white head.

Aroma 3.5/ 4.5
Mild sour lemony funk, with notes of sweeter candied apricot. As it warms up, more fruit; but not that overall aromatic with regards to fruit aspect

Second bottle I tried had much more intense apricot aroma with still aspects of funk notable.

Taste 4/ 4.5
Relatively moderate sourness with undertones of lemon and some mild earthy funk. Finishes with a very tart aftertaste. Don’t get a lot of fruit, just a hint of sweetness midway through on the palate.

Sruprisingly second bottle had much more apricot presence even though drank at a much later date. Definitely way more enjoyable and more of what I expected.

Mouthfeel 4.5/ 4.5
Moderate carbonation. The beer is moderate to high sourness with fair amount of puckering ability.

Overall 4.5/ 5
Presentation is clean, somewhat crisp. However, I was expecting more from this, based on the hype. The apricot presence is very subdued with my first bottle, but way more fruitiness in second bottle. That being said I found this beer very easy to drink and enjoyable.
1st bottke-But not my favour Cantillon offering. Also given the price ($28 Canadian), I’m not sure if I would seek out again, given that I could find other offerings.
Consider trying.

2nd- significantly better experience strangely. Now u understand the hype as this bottke had great sourness but also tins if apricot flavor. Definitely wish I had more.
Higky recommend (1,626 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured into a flute. Pours a hazy straw color with a head that settles down to a film. Smells like the normal lambic brett funk. Taste has crisp lambic tartness. The apricots used in making this are hardly tasted in the beginning but get a little stronger towards the end. Very good effervescent mouthfeel. Another very drinkable lambic from cantillon. (352 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

A: Pours a golden yellow with a thin layer of froth with some interesting floaters seen when held to light.

S: Hit with a wave of funk and apricots right from the pour! As I dig a little deeper I am finding some sweet fruit (not just apricot) nicely melding with a barnyard must. Still not sure how I enjoy that smell, but I do!

T: In a word, outstanding. The blend of the sour and then sweet fruit along with the oak and bit of vinegar is just right.

M: Light to medium mouth feel with slightly more carbonation that I anticipated from the pour. Finish a bit dry.

D: Really enjoying this one but it is a sipper. (616 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2012 bottle bought at Julio's Liquors, MA. Cork splits but I manage to get it all out without it disintegrating into the beer.

A: Gorgeous head, delightful foam. Below it is very pleasantly honey-colored.

S: The unmistakable Cantillon funky horse blanket is there, but only just. It's far more subtle than the gueuze or kriek. A little touch of sweetness in the aroma, but not much. Beguiling.

T: Only slightly sour, which was surprising. Slightly tart, with a lovely apricot hint. Very well balanced with delicate complexity.

M: Light carbonation, very well matched to the taste.

O: A stunning beer. 750ml of heaven. (622 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%

2008 vintage
poured at cellar temp into bruery tulip
750 ml bottle

Color: A hazy, but yet bright golden/orange. White 1 1/2f finger head that reduces to a thin bubbly cap after awhile. No lacing with light retention

Nose: Apricots what else, but the fruit has definitely faded compared to the fresher batches. Nice funk aroma with hints of wood, hay, and light lemon peel.

Palate: Wow! simply amazing. A perfect amount of carbonation making this beer very drinkable. The apricots hit the tongue first followed the an enjoyable wave of sourness and funk. This beer is dry, but yet it contains a good amount of spritz. At the end you begin to taste the oak/woody textures of this beer.

Finish: Long and dry with a good amount of texture. Mellow fruit which balances the light acidity at the end. An incredible beer that can be consumed fresh and aged.

Rating 98/100 (868 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottle shared with Damico at Torst. Pours a pale orange yellow color with white foam head. Aroma of peach, funk, and slight vinegar. Has a sweet tart taste with gentle notes of peaches and perfect foamy mouthfeel. Great body for the style. A big thanks to Damico and a great day. (279 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

The typical green 750ml bottle corked and capped. This was bottled on August 25, 2011. This will be the freshest Cantillon I have ever drank.

The hazy orange brew poured into a tulip glass. A huge frothy white head forms but recedes right away and leaves a small ring of bubbles.

Nose is of fresh apricot fruit, a slight funkiness and apricot candy.

Taste is very delicate, the fresh apricot is upfront, a nice blast of funk from the wild yeast and a light sourness. The finish is fairly dry.

This one was very different from the other Cantillon I have drank. This is very fruit forward and the fresh apricot is very apparent in the taste. Right now the funk and sour taste is there but not nearly what it's like in other Cantillon. I look forward to drinking and aging a number of these. (793 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -12.3%

Bottle courtesy of Diego shared at the Ryan’s tasting. Achie machie!!!!! Big barnyard and horse blanket nose. This is one sour/bitter beer. Super dry and crisp, it was so sour I could barley pick out any flavors, I guess apricot? Update: ’05 vintage was suffering from autolysis and had a huge burnt rubber nose.. (317 characters)

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon