Follow our progress ...

Added by rastaman on 08-05-2002

Reviews: 512 | Ratings: 2,694
4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours an orange-ish gold. Aroma of apricots and farmy funk. There's bright barnyard funk up front with juicy apricots on the finish. It's not too acidic, it's well balanced. I love the evolution of this fruited lambic on the palate. I don't think that there's anything I would change about Fou Foune. It's just so damn good.

4.71/5  rDev +4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Thank to IggyWH for a generous trade. This beer was ripe with apricot despite being a year old vintage (2014). Everything was up to par as far as expectations set. The one thing that can't be beat is that tingling crispness you get on the tongue as it finishes. That is something that cannot be replicated.

4.82/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured a slightly cloudy orange with a rocky white head.

The aroma was bursting with sour funk, apricots, and citrus notes.

The flavor was intensely sour - more so than almost any sour I've had before. Simply awesome. The flavors of tart apricots were bright and punchy. The fruit bleneded well with complex brett funk, lacto, and pedio sourness with a slight, but pleasant cheesiness faint in the background.

The beer had prickly carbonation with a light mouthfeel. The beer finished very dry and had a mild astringency that complemented the sour charateristics.

A wonderful fruit lambic with some of the most intense sour flavors I've ever had in a beer. This may be Cantillon's sourest. Dope.

4.67/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2014'

poured a hazy peach color with two fingers of head. smell of stone fruit- apricots, peach followed by a sour funk.

flavor followed the nose, with a sour apricot flavor that lingers. One of my fav fruited lambics

4.35/5  rDev -4%

2009 750 ml bootle.

Appearance -Pours a hazy yellow, orange with a large, white foamy head.

Smell- much like gueze with a little more sweetness

Taste - upfront a little sweet, a little vinegar with undertones of apricot. Changes to extremely sour on the backend.

Drinkability and overall - I can only drink one glass of any sour beer at a session and lambics not my favorite style. However, this beer is complex and mixes the sweetness of apricots and the sour of a lambic well. A world class beer.

4.88/5  rDev +7.7%

Depending on the year you get something new every time! Pours nice yellow orange color. The nose is full of apricot when fresh and then starts to fade off and give more of the funk from the yeast with some tart notes. The taste is wonderful with great fruit when fresh but then evolving into a more sweet and tart as it ages. nice carbonation and finishes crisp for a refreshing lambicthat is well deserved of all its praise.

4.57/5  rDev +0.9%

750ml bottles of a 05 and a 09. I am reviewing them both, but I'm scoring the 05. A huge thanks to Don for hooking me up!!!

A- Both vintages pour a hazy pale yellow color. Both have a thin off white head with some spotty lacing.

A- The 05 is very sour smelling. Lemon and funk are present. The 09 is very less sour smelling. The apricot is detectable in the 09 but not even a hint is present in the 05. The 05 has a bit of vinegar in the nose.

T- As I was expecting, the 05 was extremely sour (one of the sourest I have ever had) with some barn yard funk and lemon. Very acidic and outright sour! Perfect for me. The more sour, the better.
The 09 is much more tame. The apricot is noticeable here. Still tart, but not even a fraction as sour as the 05. Still a little funky but not nearly as funky as the 05.

M- Both were medium bodied. Nicely carbonated. Both had a tart finish, the 05 was just 10x as tart.

D- The sourness and acidity will limit the drinkability for sure. However, I had a full bottle between us and I didn't have any problems. My taste buds were completely destroyed afterwards, but man did I ever love these brews. The 05 was better due to the intense sourness, but the 09 was definitely much more fruity.

3.72/5  rDev -17.9%

Cork dated 2004, pours into large flute glass at 50f with active 30% hea, this beer is very carbonated. I bought this bottle in the US just recently.

smell is typical cantillon acidic musty along with an unusual moldy odor I would normally associated with something ruined, but with lambic and cantillon in particular this is probably a good sign.

Taste is initially very dry and pucker-sour, and initial no fruit notes are visible in this. The second swallow I get a distinct hint of peach or apricot. At this point some of this replaces the moldy note in the odor. My palate seems to adapt quickly and the extreme pucker-power is more enjoyable.

The aftertaste is notably apricot-ish, the part of the mouth not burned by pucker-sour notes feels distinctly that it has had an unusual fruit in its lambic.

Further into the bottle the fruit note becomes more prominent, carbonation remains very active, probably adding to the apparent harshness at first noted.

A somewhat unusual but typically excellent product from Cantillon

Follow-up - this beer was very slow-drinking and actually caused moderate acid indigestion, something I almost never get, not even from cantillon lambics. Stomach pain finally got so bad I did something I have never done with a cantillon product before - I gave up and poured the last 25% out. I am going to let my remaining bottles of this sit for a year or more and see if they mellow out.

I drink cantillon products all the time and have never had anything like this. No idea if it is a temporary gastrointestinal problem on my part (comment 4/28/06, it was almost certainly a beer issue) but there are no other indications that it is anything but the beer.

4.24/5  rDev -6.4%

Cantillon Fou' Foune

A = Poured a bright copper colour with a thin foam head.

S = Sweet smell of apricots. Ripe, ripe apricots.

T = Initial lemony tartness with slight hint of apricot. There is a fine soft bitterness that lingers on your tongue long after the drink goes down.

M = Light Carbonation. Nice.

D = Very drinkable.

Found a 2014 bottle at Jazz Bar in Barcelona. Amazing looking beer with depth of color changing in the light. The smell is incredible the sour funk an apricots, lovely. The taste is just smile inducing, could drink it day after day, depth is the key sour, fruit, funk and smooth clean finish.

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

2012 Vintage, poured into a taster. Surprisingly big apricot considering the vintage, a bit of barnyard funk...perfect carbonation, extremely drinkable. Great apricot lambic!

3.73/5  rDev -17.7%

Had on tap at Armsby Abbey in Worcester, poured into a Cantillon stem glass!
A: A cloudy light orange look, what a great color. Very consistent, the clouds don’t float around its extremely cloudy all over rather than in spots.
S: Sour and funky, like most cantillon lambics. It has that “Belgian” smell to it and I don’t really detect any fruit.
T: Sour all over, much more than anything else they make. Tastes somewhat like their gueuze but nothing special. Lots of carbonation in this one.
M: Sour with some apricot and peach notes on the end of the palate.
O: I’m really disappointed with this beer. I had really hoped this would be amazing as it’s impossible to find and everyone wants to try it. Really, it reminds me of their gueuze, just not as good. Certainly not bad and I’d try it again but I wouldn’t jump through the hoops that people do to try this (it’s just not worth it). B to B + range.

4.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

From tasting notes when I had this on draft. Pours a hazy yellow, orange color without much head at all. The aroma is bright stone fruit and lemon. Not getting the funk I expected. Taste is bright, tart lemon with apricots, more earthy than funky. Mouth feel is medium bodied and crisp making this very drinkable. It still needs time to develop some more complexity, but still excellent.

4.4/5  rDev -2.9%

On Tap at Anam Cara: Boy am I lucky or what..

Pours a light golden peachy color with a slight minimal white head that leaves no lace. Initial aromas are pungent and citric, with just a slight hint of fruit and some of those classic barnyard aromas. For flavor this brew is crisp and delightful. There is a beautiful balance between the sourness and a slight sweet fruity like flavor that can best be described as a citrusy lemonade.. Following there is a nice bite of tartness to the brew, and a refreshing carbonation. Overall this brew is highly drinkable, though I would never think that Cantillon would use apricots in a beer, but hell it works.

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: pours light yellow with a big head. Head dissipates slowly and leaves lacing on the glass.

Ar: fruity and sour dominate. Apricots are unmistakable.

T: apricot fruit and sourness dominate the flavor. Possibly the best sour beer I have ever tasted in my life. The perfect mix of sour tartness with fruity sugar to create an amazingly balanced experience.

M: very effervescent. Bubbly on the palate makes an otherwise thin beer more full bodied.

O: amazing. Had this beer at the brewery which only added to the overall experience. Love it. Balanced yet nuanced. Every sip presents something new.

4.74/5  rDev +4.6%

2010 bottle purchased and split at Lord Hobo - a pretty delightful surprise. Served in a tulip.

It really does look a lot like carbonated orange juice. The body is a pale yellow-orange, lighter around the edges of the glass. Fairly murky. A very small white head fades pretty quickly, but leaves nice lacing around the glass.

The smell is pretty close to flawless. There is more fruit in the nose of this beer than any other Cantillon I've tried. My first impression is of barnyard funk and tart sourness, but underneath there is a huge apricot presence. Freshly picked fruit, sweet and bright, only becomes more prominent as this warms.

There's also a tremendous amount of apricot in the finish. There are a lot of vinous, tart, lactic funk notes in the taste, with a lingering sourness that almost burns the back of my throat. But, like the smell, the support base of all that funk is a wealth of apricots. The fruit is so vibrant, like no other sour beer I've ever had. Simultaneously refreshing and multilayered.

The mouthfeel is spot-on, with a perfect level of champagne-like carbonation. I could have easily taken down a bottle myself.

Though I'm curious to try an older vintage, I couldn't imagine enjoying this beer without the fruitiness. A phenomenal expression of natural sweetness and a superb lambic.

4.89/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

As a guy who doesn't choose lambics as a go to style for me, I was still extremely excited to try this for the first time. Had this at The Sovereign in DC, served tableside by the house Cicerone. I'm a sucker for Apricots so this has always been on my radar. This was a 2015 bottle, pours a yellow staw color with some haze. Lightly carb'd gives a very nice mouthfeel. There was fantastic fresh apricot upon first smell and taste, giving way to some tart and funky notes. This was not overly sour or funky, which I appreciated greatly. This was an easy drink and a really exceptional beer. Lucky to finally try it

4.83/5  rDev +6.6%

From Bottle . . . 8-11 was the date on it

A- Cloudy Rusty Straw and a light orange

S Apricots, Aged Cheese and some nice funk

T- A sour peach, very yeasty, champagne sour and delicious

M- lots of bubbles but a real dry finish... nice and smooth body

O- Oh My God!! This has to be one of the best beers ever....
My frist Cantillon and it sure as hell will not be the last.

4.21/5  rDev -7.1%

Thanks to Alex for this bottle. 2010 cork, out of my Lost Abbey stemware.

A- A very bright golden peachy color. A nice foamy white head, retains a ring around the edge for what seems like forever.

S- Pungent sour and funk, touches of lemon and apricot skins. Some vinegar and tannic scents, very strong.

T- The biting sourness hits almost instantly, very dry and fruity, lemon, peach, apricot. There is some vinegar sourness, just crazy funky.

M- A little bubbly at times, but pretty much perfect for the style. This is a total palate wrecker though, just so soury.

O- Overall, if you like sours this is one of the better Cantillons I've had. I found the fruit to be quite pronounced, and prevalent. A very dry and sour beer.

-GFunk

4.56/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Reminds me a sour Magic Hat #9... Just kidding. Had it on tap at Armsby Abbey, in Worcester, MA for Zwanze Day. Very well balanced for the style. Apricot flavors abound, and sour notes dance on the tastebuds without taking over like many in this style do. Just the right amount of funk.

4.96/5  rDev +9.5%

2011 vintage next to the 2015. Wow, remarkable differences. The 2011 was beautifully funky and still had a lot of fruit. The 2015 was indeed tasting young, mostly fruit and brett. ISO old Fou :)!

4.62/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shared by Sarro at our recent Holiday tasting.

A: Light orange yellow. White foamy head.

S: Citrus funkiness.

T: Much like the smell. Lots of citrus funkiness that gives way to some wonderful dried apricot notes. Great balance between sour and sweet.

M: Well carbonated. Light boided. Refreshing. Good break from BA stouts.

O: Great sour. This one deserves the hype that is has. I hope to cross paths with this one again.

4.33/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

peach color, nice and murky,, big foamy white head....
nose is some citrus, peach, apricot, and sour notes...
taste follows with a nice amount of funk added....
creamy mouthfeel and good carbonation....
very tasty...

4.95/5  rDev +9.3%

Straight from the bottle at Cantillon, 20/5/15.
Mild acidity, apricot is present, and the lack of added sugars keeps the entire beer in a phenomenal balance.

4.72/5  rDev +4.2%

750mL 2010 split two ways.

A - clear golden with a finger of white head, a few spots on the glass.

S - fresh apricots, lemon, a touch of oak with even less funk apparent in the nose.

T - Delicious ripe apricots, peaches, tart green apples, lemon rind, and a lingering funk. Very bright but well balanced.

M - light body and carbonation glides over the tongue and finishes crisp and dry.

The first time I had this beer it was 6 years old and it was a sour bomb. The fruit was barely kicking, but it was still enjoyable. I would have to say I prefer the fresh bottles for the great balance of sweet and sour. My favorite fruit lambic to date.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon