Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Cantillon Fou' Foune Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,350 | Reviews: 485
4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

A: Super transparent, pale yellow in color, Absolutely no head. But some slight bubbles running up the side of the glass.

S: The smell is honestly like a wet dog (but I like it). Also the longer it sat, the more the fruit came out. Aside of the funky wet dog, it smells like a dried fruits.

T: HOLY CRAP!!! SOUR, SOUR, SOUR!!!! Oh my goodness this is ridiculous!!! Unbelievable.

M: Pucker, pucker, pucker, pucker, pucker. The sour lasted for over 3 minutes too. AWESOME.

D: Honestly, as awesome as this brew is; one and done.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

damn good beer.

pours cloudy orange with a big foamy head that dissipates almost immediately. p-funk nose, that's got a dirty earthy "horse blanket" thing going on. tastes sour, with a mild apricot thing going on. the apricots aren't super prevalent, they're just there sort of as a back up.

solid beer, get if you can.

4.05/5  rDev -12.7%

Picked this up at Smokeless Joe in Toronto. Pours a lovely hazy peach colour with a white head that doesn't stick around for long. Smell was very pungent, very sour yeasty smell, but similar to the other Cantillon I tried. Taste was a tart if not downright sour apricot that was very dry. It was a very mouth-puckering mouthfeel that dries out the mouth. All these comments sound rather negative, but I really liked the taste, it makes you feel alive, and in my case, more sober for the long walk home. I would recommend this as it is a very good example of a Lambic, like it ot hate it.

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Nice mild acidic fruity nose, light apricot, some mild cheese way behind. Taste is similar, but fruit is present if negligible. Good carbonation. Moderate acidity.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at Brouwer's on 5/26/11 poured into champagne glass.

A: Pours a cloudy light orange color with thin white head, no lacing left around glass.

S: Really bright with ripe, tart apricots in the forefront, some funk, earthy and citrus notes are detectable beneath the powerful apricot aroma.

T: This is fantastic, really tart with lots of fruit from the apricots, sour with not much sweetness. Like the aroma there are some funky and earthy flavors that go along perfectly with the tart fruit. My favorite lambic I have had to date.

M: Very tart with moderate carbonation, finishes pretty dry.

O: I really love this, the apricot goes along perfectly with all the funky, earthy flavors and sourness of the lambic. Absolutely delicious and highly drinkable, another incredible creation from Cantillon.

4.47/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Really nice and fancy and I can't wait to just have one of these but not to drink, to look at.

4.54/5  rDev -2.2%

On tap at Beachwood Sourfest 2011

5.5 oz pour into a taster flute (had 3 of these)

Pours a nice murky yellow with fuzzy white fluff coating the edges of the glass and topping the body.

Why don't more beers use truck loads of apricots in them? The smell is outstanding. Extremely fresh apricots laced with lemon rind and sprinkled with a delicate peppery spice. So simple, but done to perfection.

Taste follows with the same idea. Very well balanced between the juicy apricot and acidic lemons.

Mouthfeel is nice a creamy. I wish it were a little more acidic, but can't knock it too much since I enjoyed it quite a bit and it makes it hard not to overlook any flaw.

Very glad I got to try this. My only problem is that my girlfriend absolutely loved it so now I have to find a bottle or two for a special occasion. Oh well, can't complain.

3.61/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Awesome man. Just opened a bottle of this during a tasting at my house.

I don't like sours. Hence the avatar.

This one looked pretty good. Yellow, hazy with a nice two finger head.

smells pretty much like a saison. Bready, yeasty. Horse blanket?

Taste was fairly pleasant. Not too sour. Mind you I just done a blind quad tasting and a Darkness vertical. I could actually taste fruit like apricot and the bready yeasty flavors I love in saison...

Feels like a mouthfull. Not like a big B elgian pale ale but still pretty full. medium body with medium carbonation.

Still not converted but I would drink this again when offered.

4.32/5  rDev -6.9%

Tap at Spuyten Duyvil. No vintage reported. Poured a glowing, full hazy, bright orange with powerful carbonation and a thin but persistent white head leaves swathes of lace. Nose is amazing geuze character: bright citrus, lemons, tropical melons, sweat, salt water. Taste is full sour with amazing fresh fruit character though one specific fruit is impossible to pinpoint. "Apricot" is not necessarily evident as much as some medley of tropical melons and tangerines. Some slight eggy suplhur character comes in and out but does not detract too much from what is a massive lactic body that is zippy on the palate. Very refreshing, very sour. Can’t wait to crack some vintage bottles. 9/20/2010 9/4/8/5/16=4.2

750mL 2011 bottle. The fresher this beer is, the better. More of a juicy Yellow Bus style peach nose with fuzzy skin and rich juice. Taste is not quite as aggressive. Really nice- not one I think is worth to hoard but rather to crack open immediately.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a golden orange honestly it is the color of an apricot. The beer has a big head that leaves some lace. The aroma is lots of barn-yardiness, but with a lot of apricot fruitiness in there as well with some both clean and dirty laundry. The flavor smacks you in the face right away with apricot, fresh, delicious apricots. The beer is very very sour. It's also really dry with a dryness akin to say a brut. The fruitiness continues with some lemon rind earthy on sour notes. Dominantly this beer is packed with sourness and apricot flavor. The palate is fizzy but remarkably full and easy to drink. Just one damn fine beer.

4.95/5  rDev +6.7%

Straight from the bottle at Cantillon, 20/5/15.
Mild acidity, apricot is present, and the lack of added sugars keeps the entire beer in a phenomenal balance.

4.18/5  rDev -9.9%

Tap at toro 1st annv. Must of been a half barrel as it's lasted a couple days. Very excited to try because i just bought a bottle and wanted to see how long to age it. I'd say 2-3 years in bottle will be perfect. Had next to beatification batch 2, which was much more sour, and it was great to go back and forth between the 2. Apricots come thru but only when it warmed up and on the super long finish. A femenin brew but personaly i enjoyed this cold as it was so refreshing. Too bad it's not available all the time and around $10 for a 750 because it is the perfect summer brew. Very nice and again a pleasure to have a shot at this on draft.

4.72/5  rDev +1.7%

750ml corked and capped bottle purchase at the Charleston Beer Exchange. 2009 vintage, I believe.

A: Pale golden color with 3 finger white head. Lots of murky stuff in there. You can really tell this is bottle conditioned and unfiltered.
S: Funk! Vinegar and sour fruits come out first. This is followed by a nice apricot aroma. The last thing you smell is almost wrong (dirty diaper).
T: Sour apricots with more vinegar. Nice touch of brett in the aftertaste.
M: Very sour, though not quite on the level of St Lamvinus. Tart and bubbly on the tongue. Very nice and dry.
D: I am not going to kid myself here. It is a wonderful beer and it covers everything a true lambic should be. However, drinking a whole bottle would likely destroy my stomach. Not perfect, but still pretty close.

This was another wonderful beer from Cantillon. They are still one of the top breweries in the world, in my opinion.

4.75/5  rDev +2.4%

A: Cloudy golden with a large white head that takes some time to settle.

S: Serious sweet apricot aroma with a slight tartness in the back that suggests strawberries and raspberries.

T: Initial fruity sweetness lingers for a few moments before a nice mild herbal bitterness asserts itself in the middle. The lactic acid blends beautifully with the apricots. The fruit comes back at the end with a bit of a tartness.

M: Bubbly, yet smooth. Very flavorful but not too assertive in body. Just a touch dry.

O: Definitely my favorite fruit lambic, though overall I still prefer Iris. The apricots here are really quite sublime, and the entire beer is amazingly delicate yet rich in flavor.

4.8/5  rDev +3.4%

Deceided to break this one out a night early and not wait until New Year's Eve. Happy New Year regardless to everyone having a beer to ring in the New Year. Fresh 2011 bottle, recently acquired.

A - Poured from a chilled bottle into my awaiting glass. Pours a hazy hay yellow with a pretty energetic head that snaps, crackles, and pops before settling down.

S - Fruity with a floral scent as well. Some yeast and bready backbone as well. Very appealing.

T - Some might ding this a bit for not being overly sour or missing a big bite, but I find this to be in one word perfect. The fruit is there with just the perfect amount of tartness to make this refreshing and crisp. Some light acid to tickle the tongue and missing the overly pucker power of other Cantillons. I would describe this as being the perfect sourish beer for people who don't like to be assaulted. The composition allows this to not be overly sweet or tart but to blend both in a fashion that will probably please everyone.

M - Very light, crisp, and refreshing. Bubbly and a perfect beverage for New Year's Eve, I was just 24 hours early.

O - For me, my favorite Cantillon beer that I have had (including Blabaer). I have a couple more bottles of this but can see myself making the plunge for more.

Bottled Aug 16 2006

A: Pours a turbid, faded straw color with an off-white head that quickly fizzles to a ring. Bit of white lacing can be seen on the glass.

S: Very sour. Aromas of lemon, wild yeast, hint of peach flesh.

T: Unbelievably delicious and refreshing. Extremely sour -- pretty much as sour as it gets. Puckering. Flavors are a bit like the nose, very acidic with hints of tangy fruit flesh.

M: Fairly light in body, well carbonated, fairly silky on the palette.

D: If you're craving sour, this does the trick. Worth every one of the $25 it costs. Extremely sour but easily drinkable for someone versed in lambics. Would buy again.

4.7/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2010 bottling

A: Slightly hazy tangerine colored brew, bone white and wispy head.

S: Sharp apricot both fresh and candied, some tropical fruit, Cantillon funk that is lies underneath the bright fruit. The funk is a larger part of the beer but I love this fresh apricot stacked on top.

T: Sour, lemony funk and light spice that is completely permeated by fresh apricot. The balance lies in favor of the fruit with lemony sourness on the other end of the see-saw. If I can divvy up the components, I'd say 65% fruit, 35% funky sour.

M: Light, bright and prickly carbonation, clean but not too dry. The fruit in this young lambic is still saliva-inducing. I always appreciate Cantillon's ability to keep a healthy amount of carbonation 15-20 min after you pour it without going flat like many American wild ales.

O: No disappointment here. I've been wanting to try this for a long while. Cantillon keeps supplying a consistent, clean and funky brew that leaves no doubt nor regrets.

4.85/5  rDev +4.5%

750 ml bottle from Moeder Lambics in Brussels into a Cantillon stemmed bowl glass

Been dying to try this and since the brewery was out, bye bye Euros. Hope it's worth it.

A - yellowish-orange, clear, one finger of white, fluffy head. Dissipates slowly

S - bitterness, funk , apricots, fruity heaven. Fruit is apparent without being overpowering. Nothing could stop me from consuming this divine nectar

T - tart, fresh, apricots. Clean finish. Fantastic. Crisp. No lingering anything. This is apricot. How the hell do they take a fruit I dislike and create a beer I cherish? Every drink causes tingling explosions of fruit but finishes crisp. Hats off to the boys at Cantillon again.

M - clean. Coats the palate but dissipates quickly. Leaves you wanting more immediately.

O - I could go on and on about this amazing brew. Cantillon doesn't make a "bad" offering, this one is great. Bottom line, if you have even a remote interest in this style, you owe it to yourself to seek this out. Even if you don't like the style, if you find it, drink it, odds are your mind will be changed. The price tag was hefty but zero regrets. Drinking it at Moeder just added the cherry (or apricot) on top.

4.25/5  rDev -8.4%

2010 bottling. This has been a long time coming. My store got a delivery of this and Cuvee des Champions last week. The delivery was a whopping 2 bottles of each.

Pours a pale tangerine, a little sallow, with a 2 cm eggshell head.

This smells much less tart or funky than I expected. Maybe that will change over years. Mostly oak, apricot, and salty air. It's very restrained.

And, sour kick in the throat thank you very much! I don't know if I would pick out apricots if I didn't know they were there. It's a little fruity, but I taste much more oak and acidity. I would easily believe that this was a gueze and the fruity aspect was a yeast byproduct. There is also a seltzer water nuance that's kind of distracting. But it's still a Cantillon through and through, and it's delicious.

Excellent tingle, medium body, and just dry enough.

As much as I liked this, I can't justify spending the extra $10 to $12 over Gueze, Kriek, or Iris. It's really not better than them, and IMO, Iris is still the best one out there.

I thought this was a little over hyped. Had an 8$ taster glass, so that hurt. I preferred Iris and the Classic Gueze.

4.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I have had this beer multiple times during the last 2 – 3 years both draft & bottled. I have bought a case of it at some point. I must say that I am a bit puzzled by the American interest in this beer because age does not benefit this beer as is the case with quite a few of Cantillon fruit beers. Nowhere is freshness such a big factor as it is with Fou’ Foune. The fresher you drink this beer, the better. Fou’ Foune is at its peak during the 6 weeks after bottling, max. maybe 9. After that it is pretty level for most of its life span af far as I can see. It has a low point 6 months in or so, improves slightly after a year or so and stays level afterwards.

It is a good beer once it has peaked but it is for me personally bit of a downer compared to how ridiculously good it is fresh.

Review for a fresh bottle (75 cl.) @ brewery:

A: murky yellow apricot colour with a slight orange hue and a super firm lambic-styled head which doesn’t even vanish after you have finished your glass.

S: ridiculous, pure apricots, slightly mashed super juicy apricots, ripe and within seasons, the kind that are impeccable.

T: this tastes basically like a glass of apricot compote but even better than compote is, fresh there is no “complexity” in this but who needs complexity when your beer tastes this good? Also getting some slight yeast, slight flour-like feeling, smallest hints of barnyard and lemon (smallest hint). No tartness and no real sourness to speak of, this is almost real fruit sugars sweet.

B: luckily not too much carb. full juice and slight touch of flour body.

2012 one was way better fresh than the 2011 one, great harvest I assume?
By better I mean 2011 was nice, 2012 was mind-blowing.

Not sure about the score, fresh 2011 was around 4.6 – 4.7.
Fresh 2012 was almost 5. Aged ones were around 4.1 – 4.4.
Going to calculate mainly the fresh ones give it around a 4.8.

4.22/5  rDev -9.1%

On tap into an 25 cL glass at Novare Res on 12/15/11.

a: golden with a white head.

s: complex, sour, lemon zest, dried hay, I can see why some people say "horse blanket" but not sure I can call that as I don't think I've ever tried smelling one of those, but it has a wild animal funk (not in a bad way).

t: sour, citrusy, some champagne-like flavors, fermented white grapes, yeasty.

m: crisp, refreshing, good carbonation, no complaints here at all.

o: I'm pretty new to sours and this is honestly an awesome experience. I would highly recommend this beer. My wife even liked it a lot as it seemed more champagne-like than what one thinks of as a typical beer. Very complex overall.

4.91/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This requires no review and speaks for itself. Amazing.

3.35/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. This was an odd experience. This is the first Cantillon beer, and one of the first traditional lambics, that I have not completely enjoyed.

Pour is pretty - golden yellow color, quite hazy, with a medium white head that dissipates to a collar relatively quickly. Inviting.

The smell... goddamn, I haven't smelled anything quite so funky in my life. I love funky sours, but this is a bit off-putting. Stinky cheese is the first thing I notice, in abundance. So cheesy. Also, weirdly enough, I'm getting a fair bit of canned tuna as well. This is bizarre. Some apricot in the aroma as well. The normal Cantillon barnyard and musty smells are there, as are sweaty socks, but they are absolutely dominated by the cheese and tuna. I actually do not like this much. It improves (i.e., less tuna) as it sits out and warms a bit, so I will bump it up a half-point.

Taste is actually pretty good. Lush apricots in the beginning. As it warms up, peaches seem to be the fruit of interest. Quite sour, with the fruity sweetness evident only upon the first portion of the sip.

Mouthfeel is good, as usual with Cantillon beers. Good carbonation, drying finish. Maybe could be even a touch more carbonated.

Drinkability is only okay. I took a while with my portion, and I wouldn't reach for it again if I had other sour options. It does improve as it sits out and opens up. I wonder if this is an aberrant bottle... looking to others' reviews, it seems like the cheese is normal. But the tuna? I don't know. I will revise my scores here if I find that this bottle was off in some way.

Odd, and not altogether enjoyable beer. I would run back to the Rose de Gambrinus, St. Lamvinus, Iris, or Blabaer before hitting this one up again.

4.86/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Wife said it smelled like a mix of a gym locker and dirty socks. I told her that's an exquisite description and exactly what I was hoping for. Everything about this beer is stellar and lives up to the hype. Nearly flawless, gym sock funk and all.

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon