Cantillon Fou' Foune - Brasserie Cantillon

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rastaman on 08-05-2002

Apricot Lambic
Reviews: 470 | Hads: 2,414

2011 bottle. Thanks to liamt07 for sharing this one.

A - Cloudy orange/yellow. One finger of white head formed and receded to a thin layer.

S - Sour and funky up front with a fresh sweet apricot aroma.

T - The apricot is more prominent than in the nose and adds a nice juicy fresh fruit profile to the beer. The tartness is perfect with a nice amount of funk balancing out the fresh, sweet fruit. Perfection.

M - Medium body, moderate to high carbonation. (465 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +0.7%

I've had this a couple of times recently ... reviewed from 2 sets of paper notes.. Thanks to inflatablechair and alehousedave ... Very cool fellas.. Thanks Sammy and Dave!! I truly appreciate it.

Pours a hazed golden with nice white lacing and decent retention.

The nose is amazing... I could smell a goblet all night and never complain.. bright fruit and the expected Cantillon funk.. lactic and dry lemon and white wine barrel goodness... fantastic.

Flavor is lemony and tart... the apricots come out swinging mid palate and dry out immediately leaving a long funky fruity finish.. dirty brett and dank basement funk... antique books (yep, I've tasted the paper... you should too) the fruits are the main player at the end of the day.

Loving the spritzy carbonation with a still light/medium body... fruity lambic done right.... I believe the apricot pulp adds some body that makes it a touch heavier and enjoyable.

I can't... CAN NOT believe that I've passed on Fou Foune over the years.... I am a moron... that said, I am happy to have friends who are smarter than I am. Sam and Dave are good folks for sure.

3.5/5/4.5/4/4.5 (1,134 characters)

4.39/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thin white head disappeared rather quickly and leaves a small collar. Some lacing. PeAr colored body.

Wheewww! Smells like a horse's jock strap!

I'd give it a 9.5 on the sour scale. Apricot is nice.

Above average carbonation. Good mouthfeel.

Could drink a lot of this...yeah right. Loved it. Huge thanks to egrace84 for the share! (335 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%

This bottle is dated "Bottled: August 18, 2011". It's the youngest I've ever seen a bottle. This beer pours a slightly cloudy dingy tangerine orange in color with a slight white head that turns into a lacing around the edges of the glass. The aromas are of fresh, lightly sweet, and tart, juicy, mouthwatering candied apricots witha slight acidic sour. It has to be one of the most impressive noses of any lambic. The flavor features tart and juicy fresh apricot, plenty of sharp citric acidity, light oaking, must, and light funk. It has great flavor and finishes light and dry, which makes it even more drinkable. Overall this is one of the finest lambics I've had to date. This is my third time trying it and I appreciated it most this time, at just over three months old. It was a treat! (791 characters)

4.96/5  rDev +10.7%

Bottle of 2010 vintage, poured in July of 2011.

Hazy light yellowish wheat appearance, like a wheat beer or light gueuze maybe. Or maybe the color of apricots but a little lighter. The lighting was poor when I poured this one so don't trust my comments here too much.

Smells wonderful. A blast of super sweet apricots. Sourness is barely detectable beneath the overpowering apricot aroma.

Taste does not follow from the nose exactly as this one is definitely very sour. The amazing apricot flavor is there as well. Very acidic but also sweet and extremely fruity. Maybe not quite as sour as its reputation would have you believe (the Lou Pepe Framboise we opened the same night was at least as sour if not more so, and the regular Cantillon Kriek is more sour than either to my taste) but still very sour and very, very delicious.

This beer is just insanely good, the fruit and sour flavors are both world class and coexist perfectly, you couldn't ask for more from a lambic.

10/10 (986 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -14.7%

$20 bottle 22 oz.

A: Hazy lemon/orange color with very thin white head.

S: Tangerine aroma with some spicy tartness. Tart sour grapefruit flavor, like drinking lemon juice straight from the bottle. Wow.

T: Wicked lemon flavor that is overbearingly strong makes this beer truly one dimensional in flavor. It only gets more sour when it warms but in a good way. Truly an acquired taste and for the seasoned Belgium drinker. Wow.

M: Thin body but extreme sharp/acidic lemon flavor. Makes your eyes squint just bringing the glass up to your mouth from the aroma.

D: 1 bomber is plenty for anyone i would guess. really extreme flavor and smoothing sourness. Price is a little steep to justify. (696 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured a pale golden orange in color with pale yellow highlights and a nice thin bubbly head that left some good frothy lacing sticking to the glass. Definitely had the signature cantillon bretty barnyard funk upfront on the nose with fresh peach apricot fruit notes, good citrusy notes with oak wood and nice acidcy for sure. The peachy apricot fruits came acroos more on the palate alongside great sour acidic notes with oaky wood accents which brought out more flavors, a touch of vanilla and plenty of brett barnyard horse blanket character to go around. The brew was medium in body with a good amount of carbonation which had a fruity, semi sweet, bretty funky, woody, acidic sour and dry finish. I definitely dig this beer all around but I thought the 09 vintage was way better. (784 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Vintage 2013, pours a hazy orange color with a little off white head. Huge apricots, citrus and slight funk on the nose. Tastes of peaches, apricots, citrus with a nice acidic sour, funk balance through out and leaves a pleasant dry tart finish. Each sip leaves me wanting more. One of my top 5 beers. (301 characters)

4.4/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Cloudy orange with frothy white head. Smell is fruity with just a bit of funk. Taste is quite tart with some nice stone fruit notes. Medium body with very good carbonation making it very easy drinking and refreshing. Definitely one of the best fruit lambics. (258 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks, Adam, for the opportunity!

750ml bottle, bottled Aug 25, 2011.

It's pouring a cloudy yellow orange with a firm 2 finger head of foam. The lacing left behind is very impressive.

It smells very yeasty, fruity, sourish, funky, a very incredible aroma. There's no way that the taste can live up to the smell. No way.

And then...the taste. Apricots bring a light sweet flavour almost immediately over taken but tart and bitter fruit sensations. I note a yeasty and light funkiness here too. I find the fruity bitterness a bit surprising but more than welcome and the tart notes are done near perfection. My oh my, this is so damn good and drinkable. 5%abv helps make it so.

I wondered what the French/Belgian word for apricot was and it turned out to be abricot. Not as "interesting" as like names for cherry, raspberry, or peach so I reckon Fou' Foune will do nicely. ;^)

With plenty of carbonation and a lightish body, the mouthfeel is just right. This really is a fine drinking experience. I'm glad I got a chance to try it!! (1,037 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

Split a 750ml bottle with oakbluff at the beerbistro, served in a Cantillon tumbler.

Pours a lightly hazy orange/golden, very thin and fizzy white head forms, disappears to a tiny ring, no lacing, looks like a lambic! Smell is real nice, definite funk, lemons, wood, apricots, peaches, vinegar, quite acidic in the nose, some bready malts, nice. Taste is similar, sharp and acidic at first, sweet sour middle, like those old school peach candies, apricot is subtle but there, peaches, lemons, lightly woody, nice vinegar and acetic finish. Mouthfeel is light bodied with low carbonation, very drinkable. Another great lambic! (626 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cork says "Bottled in 2.002"

Peachy color. Light peach. Thin and fluffy white head sits on top and is well retained. Lacing comes in patches. Carbonation looks to be moderate.Aroma is acidic, citric, estery, vinegar-like and fruity (as in green apples and nectarines). A little wet blanket on the nose as well. The mouthfeel is slightly prickly and more than slightly puckering. Not quite as mouth puckering as some of the other Cantillon selections I've had though. This one is held in check somewhat. It's pretty refreshing. The horse blanket is there. And the acidity is definitely there. Very slight apricot. Grape skin and unripe green apple. Nicely put together. Somthing keeps begging me to drink more of it. That's a good sign. (738 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

Holy crap. My jaw hit the floor when I saw this one sitting on the shelf in a small corner of Oregon. I have never, ever, EVER, seen a Cantillon on the shelf.

A - Pours a very cloudy, light orange with a large fluffy white head. It slowly fades to half.

S - Funk and horse blanket tones hit you first, then the sweet apricots follow.

T - A soft gentle apricot, slight sweetness, followed by a slight funk.

D - Thinner body with good carbonation.

O - A world class treat. I am so excited to drink this one. Clean, funky, fruity and good. (542 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours out a bright apricot orange looking pour with a thin white head, that for a lambic, actually stuck around for a little while.

Smell is right on, massively tart and sour with plenty of apricot all over it. Stays away from funk/horse blanket/sweaty socks and just drills you with fruit and sour that is so clean. Taste remains like the nose, awesome, clean, and powerful. How something so sour can retain so much of a fruit presence at the same time, well, that's why it got a 5.

Its just simply phenomenal stuff, never does the sour and fruit dissipate or become 'normalized' with your taste buds. Top notch.

On tap at beachwood bbq. (642 characters)

4.34/5  rDev -3.1%

750ml corked and capped bottle poured into tulip 6/11/11
A top 100 for #1000 holy shit eh!!

A hazy golden orange with a nice two finger head that falls quickly after touching my hairy greasy lip, no lace looks like a lambic

S fresh apricot with a little vinous white grape and some mild earthy, woody funk. I can't get over how fresh and strong the fruit smells I could smell this all day, not overly complex but just plain brilliant

T fruits much more mellow compared to the nose and the funk comes out a little more. more earthy notes then I could smell with some grains

M little bubbles are abundant and give it life as soon as it enters your mouth, a little pucker too it and it leaves a little behind to savor

O smell alone could carry this one pretty far, loved the smell but only really liked all other aspects

I just can't get over how good this beer smells, I'm only merely impressed by the other aspects, solid stuff for sure and I'm not mad I have a few more to drink but I'm scared the fruit will fade if I age it. I may have spent my kids Collage fund on this stuff but this works well for me because as far as I know I don't have any kids. Yeah Me!! 1000 beers in and still no children Woooo Hooo!!! (1,225 characters)

4.15/5  rDev -7.4%

Great, clear golden colour with a small, white head. Solid.

Huge amounts of funk and sourness come through the aroma.

Wow. To my mind this is the most sour of the Cantillon lambics I've had so far. Intense acetic sourness comes through along with tons of funk. The apricots are muted and come through as a citric tartness and back note. Overall, it's quite tasty.

Medium-light body with high carbonation.

A tasty lambic but this is hugely sour. (449 characters)

4.07/5  rDev -9.2%

This lambic pours a mild yellow color with a thin head.

Apple and cherry notes greet the nose, followed by a good amount of funk. When I say a good amount, I mean that it doesn't overwhelm the olfactory gland.

The taste is full of sourness, bursting with cherry essence. It's not a "fruity" lambic per se.

Not much to "feel" at the back of the throat. The funk is restrained, which may turn off true fans of the style.

This is truly a balanced and highly enjoyable lambic. It's also somewhat rare around these parts. (520 characters)

4.47/5  rDev -0.2%

I had this on tap at the Map Room in Chicago, poured into a Cantillon glass. It was on my top 3 list to try when I saw their draft list (where else in the Midwest would I find this beer on tap?). It was kind of light yellow colored, hazy, and initially had a huge head. The smell was sour and acidic with a hint of citrucy fruit. The taste was sour and tart with a very mild apricot flavor. It was awesome. I could have easily had more, but there were other beers to try. (471 characters)

4.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Enjoyed on tap at the armsby abbey the night before The Festival.

A - Poured into a Cantillon stemmed tulip a hazy golden yellow hue with a very thin white blanket that faded into a slight halo.

S - Aromas of nice light funk and faint apricots. Honestly I would prefer a bit more fruit/apricot with this.

T - Ah, there's the apricot! Nice and tart and sour with good almost puckering apricot. Light light stone/pits with some skin too. Nice fresh apricots slightly tart/bitter finish.

M - Mouthfeel is very nicely carbonated, almost harshly but the tart not white puckeringly sour apricot plays off of it nicely.

O - Overall this beer was basically every bit as good as the legend tells. It's a freaking delicious beer, however, as far as apricot goes I found The Bruery's Filmishmish to deliver more (805 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Adding Aug 2011 bottle sampled 5/27/12. The fruit is so much fresher and really pops. I can actually taste the apricot where as the aged bottle was much more sour and less fruit forward. I recommend drinking this fresh as possible.

Bottled August 2010. Courtesy of a generous Texas trader, can't recall exactly, poor job by me.

Pours a hazy dark golden color, almost orange, with a nice fluffy white head. A bit of spotty lacing and a minimal head that stays throughout.

Aromas begin with a lot of lactic acidity, lemon, peaches and tart green apple. The oakiness emerges as it warms with a really nice wet hay and barnyard funk.

The tastes directly follow the nose with loads of apricot/peach mixed with some very nice lactic sourness. The funk, earth, and wood emerge more and more as it warms. The lactic sourness and fruity apricot and pretty equal here; I credit that due to the age as I have been told this is much more apricot forward when fresh.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is dry and acidic but not overly so; pleasantly sour and tart in the finish but by no means the sourest or Brett forward beer I have ever had. Really in balance overall which is how I like pretty much all my beers regardless of style.

Overall this is world class, no bones about it. Flavor profile is exactly how you would want a fruited lambic to be, balance of fruit and funk is second to none. I don't think I would drink anything but Cantillon from June-August if I could readily track it down, but alas that will never happen. I prefer St. Lamvinus to this slightly but that is a personal preference, both are the two best Belgian lambics for my money. (1,676 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

750ml bottle, 2008 version...The beer pours dark peacy with a much darker center. The head is white, rises about a finger and is gone pretty quickly...The aroma is on the lighter side, light tart fruits, mixed with sourness. Not overpowering in either regard so its balanced giving some of what you look for in a fruit lambic...Holy moses, that's one sour beer. Didn't think it would be that tart from the aroma. Its got a huge tart bite sour, not a mucky horse blanker leather like a lot of Cantillon's. Here you get a lot more of the fruit not sweetness but the actual taste of apricots on the finish. Super balanced and flavorful...The feel is great, sticks to the mouth, very tannic...Drinkability is off the charts. It gives me everything I love about a lambic, sourness funk, but balanced enough that you can drink this all day, while at the same time not being such a fruit beer that's its super sweet or dominated by the apricot...Overall one of my favorite lambics, right up there with Blabear. (1,003 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

750ml bottle, split and served on our last night on Sussex

2010 vintage - brought back from Brussels

appearance: very cool label - corked and capped, cork is removed to explosion of life...served in a delirium chalice - bright golden-orange body, active white foam

smell: wickedly tart - apricot, peach, sour grape, hay and straw, acidic

taste: very very tart - prototypical cantillon wild yeasts - the apricot adds a lovely complexity ripe with sweet fresh fruit. this twists the tongue like a gueuze and the tartness cuts the sweetness in a way that really confuses the taste buds (in a great way). As anticipated, very high quality stuff.

mouthfeel: sour, tongue buckling, light

overall: great (703 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

2004 cork dated 750ml bottle poured into my large St. Feuillien goblet, Fou' Foune is a hazy, darker gold with a off-white collar and skim.

Smell is super funky, pushing burnt rubber, but in an enticing manner for lambic lovers. As it warms, it gains a soft honey sweetness, although it's very faint. Finally, the apricots flirt through, very nice, wow!

Taste fails to disappoint, this is about as funky as it gets. Four years in, any traces of the famed "Bergeron" apricots are long gone, but I've always preferred pure lambics to fruit ones anyways. As the palate adjusts to the intensity of the sourness, the sweetness starts to cut through, but any hints of the fruit are probably subliminal - if I didn't know the label, I wouldn't recognize them now. Still, I love sours, and this reigns supreme.

Mouthfeel is puckeringly tart, with a medium body for the style.

Drinkablity is precious, if you've come this far and shelled out the dough ($30 in my town) then you'll probably wish you'd be able to drink another bottle. Chances are, you can't. I'm saving the dregs for homebrew. If I come close, I'll drink it all day long, albeit not terribly quickly. This is as sour as it gets! A special vintage bottling indeed. (1,227 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +4.2%

So this is it. My last fresh bottle of Fou'foune, one of my all time favorite beers. Bottled 13 August 2009, I am drinking this solo while eating an apricot.

The few months this beer has been sitting undisturbed have been kind to it. Pouring a light golden orange with a dense white head with excellent retention, this beer looks beautiful.

The nose is explosive. Bursting with ripe apricots, there's a tartness to the fruit character as well. The fruit does dominate the base lambic, quite a remarkable feat, given how sour this beer is. Unlike other vintages, this batch does have a more pronounced oak aroma, not really woody and it's more of a tannic character. All of this cuts through the fruit, making this truly exceptional on the nose.

The palate opens bracingly sour with a strong lemon peel sourness, way more aggressive than any other Cantillon beer I've had. I don't know how they do it. With a big, bright acidity, this opens the palate to the fruit flavors that come through with all the flavor of an apricot, rather unripened this time, with the great acidity and a big fruit character. The finish is surprisingly clean, with no real funk (this beer never really had much funk to start with) with a lot of lemony sourness and a great fruit character. The tannins do appear here, drying out the palate and contrasting the fruit very well. The palate is perfect. With a moderate to high carbonation level, this light bodied beer is perfect for this summer night. While my enamel is peeling just a hair, this is one of those very few beers where there's so much more going on behind the MASSIVE sourness. With a non-existent acetic character, this is perfect. And to give you an idea as to how fruity this is, my ripened apricot doesn't burst on the nose as much as this one does. Fabulous stuff.

**Review dated 13 Feb 2010**
I split a bottle of the 2006 vintage with joe1510 many moons ago. After it disappeared and I missed the 07 release, when the 08 came out (in 09), I made sure I grabbed a couple. I got to try it side-by-side with an 02 vintage (bottled 03) last night, thanks to Peter.

Both vintages pour a hazy light orange with a thin, choppy white head with decent retention. (4)
2009:
The nose is fucking epic. Fruity sour with fresh apricots, this is so goddamn fruity. Sour apricots with their nuance and unripened character, this is fantastic. The base beer is pretty sour too. As for the palate? Holy fucking fuck. Like biting into a raw apricot, this is fruity and sour. Quite sour and tart with a strong lactic sourness and plenty of lemony sourness, this is all about the apricots. Drying on the finish with more (surprise!) apricots, this is incredible. Light and airy on the palate with a crisp carbonation and a aggressive acidity, the fruitiness really helps tone down how much damage I feel this doing to me. Incredibly drinkable, this is awesome (4.5 x 4)

2003:
The nose is super sour, mildly plastic-like even. The fruit really has fallen off, or rather, the sourness has just completely ravaged it. The palate is similar, incredibly sour, probably the sourest thing I've had. Almost like pure lime juice with mild apricot flavor, this is bone dry on the finish that's acidic and tooth-raping in its lemon-like character. The sourness really does hinder the drinkability of this batch, though. Scores: 3.4,3.5,3.5,3.5

**Edit 26 March 2011**
This is the 2010 vintage that I got thanks to Robert. Thank you.

The nose is pure fucking apricots. Ridiculously fresh and fruity, the dried apricot character is excellent. Not as oaky and tannic as the 2009 vintage, this smells great fresh. Again, a great, clean, lemony sourness with a beautiful fruit character, this is a nice, fruity vintage. (3,734 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +3.1%

on tap at farmers cabinet in philly

Pours a hazed golden yellow color with a haze of white head. Retains well while drinking, leaves wispy film and patches of lacing.

Extremely fragrant nose, big time funk and tart but with a pleasant balance. Some wheat and biscuit malt, spritzy and fruity with apricot and pear.

Decent sour blast right up front with some acid and fruit. Decent funk and yeast, balanced by some fruit sweetness and a noticeable amount of apricot. Lighter malt base with biscuit and tartness. Continuing sour notes with fruit, extremely balanced and pleasant while drinking. Finishes dry, tart, and lingers on the palate forever.

Lighter medium body, higher carbonation, dry and lingering after swallowing. Another absolutely wonderful beer from Cantillon - excellent flavor and great use of apricot. (824 characters)

Cantillon Fou' Foune from Brasserie Cantillon