Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.
Ratings: 718 | Reviews: 170
4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Picked up this gem from the Cantillon Brewery three days ago.
I was told it was ready for drinking right now and so I wasted no time. (I also let this breathe for about an hour after opening before my first sip)

Made with elder-flower ... is this a fruit lambic or a flower lambic I asked myself?
Pours a hazy orange into a small Cantillon goblet and forms a pretty excellent head of foam not too unlike a Duvel!

Smells pleasantly floral (as I guess it should) and tastes absolutely wonderful. The elder-flower is strong but the typical Cantillon sourness is also very re-assuringly present.
A very unique taste, I am not used to consuming elder-flowers, but perhaps as much as a DIPA such as PtE has that wonderful union of flowery hops and bitterness, Zwanze replaces the bitter with intense sour and ups the floral experience a level.

Drinkability ... finished the 750ml by myself quite easily and then wondered why I didn't buy another bottle or two!! but I'd opted for a fresh St. Lamvinus to travel back with and the luggage was getting heavy. So glad I got to taste Zwanze 2009 though. Cantillon's 2009 released beers are amazing even for their high standards ... this is the third I've tried after Blabaer and Fou Foune that have been just "wow"!!!

4.92/5  rDev +17.1%

Bottle at Beerbistro. Lambic with elderflower.

Pours a slightly hazy gold with a finger of white head that drops to a fine film leaving a few spots of lace behind. The nose is wonderfully floral, herbal and peppery with a strong elderflower presence forcing out the lighter touch of funk and citric sourness. Its really quite summery and clean in its profile and a joy to sniff.

I used to drink elderflower cordial a lot when I was a kid. My mom used to get this stuff and you added water to the syrup to make a nice light summer drink. The taste of elderflower rocks - its kind of like a cross between white grape and flowers, and that's exactly what we have here in all its natural glory. The sourness is mild and balanced, showing Cantillon's deft hand. There's some pepper and funk in the finish, but overall its probably one of their more accessible offerings. Quite exquisite. The refreshing quality of the elderflower is echoed by a queching body that transcends to a dry finish. Low level carbonation is perfectly matched.

As I mentioned, this is one of the more accessible Cantillons I've come across (unless I'm becoming immune). Its hugely drinkable, and a pleasure to consume. Super-win.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Shared a couple bottles of this at the Cheval Blanc night of the funk, post Mondial. 2010 bottling.

Pours a hazy golden color, sort of like cloudy apple juice. Two fingers of head with some staying power. Looks good.

Nose has a light tartness reminiscent of apples, elderflower that has a slight musty note, light funk.

This beer is fantastic and so drinkable, less acidity that many of Cantillon's offerings - on par with something like Fou Foune. Light apple tartness, biscuity malt, elderflower that vacillates between a sort of musty weediness and a more floral, sweet hay. Light and buoyant mouthfeel, lush carbonation. Complex and so drinkable, one of my all time favorites - wish it wasn't so hard to get. Just superb.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle shared by franklinn. Enjoyed in a Hill Farmstead glass.

Pour: Mildly hazy orange, with a finger and a half of white foamy head. Head hangs around and leaves some pretty solid lacing.

Smell: Hmm... I get a really nice vegetal aspect up front, followed by some green jalapenos. A nice lactic aspect, and a really nice funk. More jalapenos on the back.

Taste: Wow. Funky, sour jalapenos. No heat, but a nice clean green pepper taste. More funk, and a lactic tartness. This is ridiculous unique and it really, really works for me.

Mouthfeel: Ridiculously drinkable. Very palate cleansing. Great prickly carb and the tartness isn't puckering,

Overall: This beer was like nothing I've ever had before, and I loved it. Probably my favorite Cantillon to date.

4.77/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle thanks to Chris at Ebenezers, a generous selection to say the least. Reviewed from notes. Bottled on June 15, 2010.

A- Split 5 ways into stemmed goblets with a hazy golden body, clearly some yeast floating around in solution. A foamy white head builds up to a finger tall. Good retention. A good pillow sticks around from the head but doesn't leave any lace somehow.

S- Reminds me a lot of the regular Gueuze but with a superb flowery aroma added into the mix. Lemon sourness, herbal, barnyard grass, funk, oak and that Cantillon bug mix you get used to after having a few beers. Floral feel contrasts the lambic beautifully.

T- Just like the aroma a very nice floral feel atop something reminiscent of the Classic Gueuze. Funk and a nice sourness are followed by herbal and grassy notes. A nice base of lemon sour, oak, lactic, tiny acetic, apple and grape notes.

MF- Light body that is dried out by all of the flora present. Sour level is moderately high but other Cantillons can top this, for better or worse. Standard foamy carbonation.

I had no expectations for this one but for me the elderflower addition gave off a nice herbal and floral feel that combined amazingly with the Cantillon funk. Might be my favorite of their beers so far.

4.73/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to AnotherJoe for bringing this to a tasking... 2011 vintage...

A: Pours a hazy light wheat yellow with about a half finger of pure white head. The foam settles quickly, leaving a good bit of lacing on the glass as it drinks.

S: The nose is earth. I get dirt, fresh cut grass, a bit of lemon, and a small floral component. It's crazy how much this beer smells like a garden. It's funky, with a lot of barnyard and some some nice sourness in there.

T: Holy cow. This bee is fantastic! It's sour, tart, refreshing, floral, grassy, and even a bit dirty. I know that doesn't sound like a recipe for success, but damn. It's like your backyard in a glass. Sweet, sour, and crisp. Love it.

M: Light bodied beer. It's sweet right off the bat with a big blast of tart and flowers. It hits the palate hard, but softens up as it drinks. Lingering mild sour in the back end.

O: My goodness. I enjoyed this beer immensely. I don't even know what to say, other than this might be my favorite of all the Cantillons I have tried before. So delicious. I need to seek out more of this for future consumption.

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

750ml bottle served in a flute glass.

Bottled in March, 2012.

A: Pours a yellow to orange cloudy color forming a big bubbled and aired white to yellow head. Good retention and many lacings left around. Interesting enough is the fact that you can see some pollen floating around inside the bottle

S: A mix of flowers and Lambic. Sour and, at the same time, delicate. The perfume of elderberry flower is really fantastic. Unique and perfect

T: Again, a flower bomb. Strong notes of elderberry flowers followed by malts and Lambic yeasts. Slightly sweet and sour upfront followed by a mild bitterness in the end which I suppose comes from the flowers too. In overall, a dry taste. Perfect in the mouth too

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Flowery aftertaste

O: Very drinkable. A unique experience. One of the best Cantillon I've ever had

Served on tap at the Bavarian Lodge in Lisle, IL

A: Held up to the light, held a nice cloudy golden orange color with a fairly white head on it. Head held for 3/4 of the glass and left nice lacing on the edge.

S: First sniff picks up the lactic overtones. Second brings in the tartness. Third brings out the dried grass and flowery undertones from the elder flowers.

T: Puckering goodness with a dirty sweat sock finish. Tartness is rich in complexity because the finish still had a "sweet" flower finish.

M: puckering....can't say more.

O: This was my first experience drinking a Cantillon beer and I think I am hooked. Thank goodness my sister in law lives on Belgium and can start hunting these down for me.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750 ml bottle, Bottled May 16, 2011, picked up personally from the Cantillon Brewery in Belgium on a trip last fall! Poured into my Cantillon Tulip glass.

A: Pours a clear goldenrod yellow with a healthy white head that lingered for almost the entire glass. Healthy carbonation rising to the top throughout as well.

S: Wow, this has an extremely potent wildflower aroma. Straw and lambic aromas all mix together perfectly. Perhaps from being outside all afternoon doing work with trees and woodchips this is even better in aroma.

T: Simply put, delicious. There is a white pepper taste along with the elderflowers which actually taste Green still. I was thinking the elderflower taste may have calmed down a little but it is still potent after a year in the bottle and creates a green apple pucker. Herbal brett, lacto other lambic style sour notes come together well and play perfectly with the flowers. I was not expecting to like this as much as I am right now, but very glad to have had the chance to bring this back from Belgium last fall.

M: Crisp and refreshing with a champagne dry finish and sparkling clarity. If champagne tasted like this, I would drink it much more often.

O: Glad to have finally tried this. I have been waiting about 8 months since Oktoberfest to open one of these in the spring and today was the perfect occasion. Highly recommend doing this after finishing a long afternoon of yardwork.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The Zwanze beers are especially brewed for the Open Brewing Day at the Cantillon brewery. Every year the beer has a special and different ingredient. The 2009 version is brewed with...elderflowers! I was at the brewery at 7.00 a.m. and took the first guided tour. After this tour, we could try the Zwanze 2009.

Color: with the artificial lights in the dark brewery a bit difficult to see.... Looks like slightly hazy orange color, with an incredible big and fluffy head, that was not long lasting (but ok, contrary to many other brewers, Cantillon makes beer with 100% natural ingredients and therefore, the brewers don't add any products to make the froth persist).

Smell: Full of elderflower, together with the typical sourness of a (Cantillon) Lambic beer. Wood and spices are also clearly present, together with some hints of fresh citrus.

Taste: WOW, I love this one. Very well balanced sourness all over the place (with very light bitter hops tones and malts), mixed with elder flower, herbal spices, wood (from the oak barrels). The finish is a dry and spicy (herbal).

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation.

Overall: I only like this style of beers if they are of extremely high quality. About the Zwanze I can only say I didn't like it... I LOVED IT! A unique beer, with a unique taste. A great experiment from the Cantillon brewers. This must be the most well balanced Lambic beer I ever had (together with the Dirty Horse from de Struise brewers). I think this beer might become even better over time (I think it is still a bit young), so in case you manage to get your hands on a bottle now, be patient, it will be rewarded for sure! (by the way, the brewer advised me to open my bottle at least 30 minutes before drinking....)

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

Had as part of the "Evening with Cantillon" event at the Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka during Good Beer Week in Melbourne.

Pours a light hazed golden colour, with a fine but filmy classic lambic head. Some foamy lace forms, but the body is light. Overall, a classic, if generic lambic appearance.

Nose is anything but generic however. Incredible herbal elderflower gives a burst and lift above the classic funk and rubbery gueuze characters. Bright vegetative hints of capsicum and mild japapeño give a sweet, peppery capsicain bite. It's a fascinating, and perfectly blended aroma. Just gorgeous.

Clean, clear and bright on the palate. Crisp peppery spice, with a clean funk through the centre and a sharp, dry acid finish. Aftertaste gives more of those greenery characteristic, with a leafy vegetative finish. Feel is just as crisp and good as you expect. It's just lovely.

Wow. This is an exceptional beer from Cantillon as part of a strong range of exceptional beers. It's a lovely twist to a really well made lambic. Amazing stuff.

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy, sour, fluffy effervescent carbonation w/ a little pepper, lingering lemon rind flavor

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Some pours from some bottles at the back bar at Monk's Cafe.

Mamouche came to me looking bright with a mix of yellow and a slight orange within that. A lemon shaded Lambic with some nice popping white bubbles up top, nothing clings to the glass though.

Smell is str8 up pleasant. I get the flower with the lemon with some fresh cut grass, hay and some wood from the barrel. Earthy, pungent with fruity lemon peel and barn funk.

This stuff is nothing short of amazing, it hooked me from 1st sips. The flavor is mostly a mix of fruity lemon and the elderflower. Mid palate the wood and funk/organisms attack the tounge. Afterwards some hay and funked earth patch up the damaged tounge, but the damage has already been done, Im in love.

Feel is light and very active from the bottle pour. Flavor is very pungent and sticks to the mouth for a few. Carb is very pronounced and I can feel it, yet it is not stinging me. Lactic and downright alive.

I really dug this beer, one of my favorite lambics in recent memory. Any Cantillon that sticks at 5% I always enjoy to the bone, while the ones that exceed that go in different directions for me. I gulped some glasses down pretty quick, a bottle to the head would be easy.

4.67/5  rDev +11.2%

Reviewed from notes from a tasting...

Poured from a 750ml cork and capped bottle into my Cantillon snifter glass. Pours a hazy yellow color...kinda straw-like in color. A decent amount of fizzy white head rises relatively quick...and maintains good retention! Leaves a spotty fizzy lacing.

Aroma is kind of what I expected...but that doesn't mean it's a let down in any respects. Very floral from the elder flowers. Funk and zest is mild; tartness is also noticeable. Picking up slight lemon and citrus fruit notes as well.

Wow! Cantillon never dissapoints! Loads of citrus, lemon peel, oak, and sharp crisp tartness! The floral aspect isn't over the top; rather the mild funk and strong tartness are in the fore-front. Finishes slightly dry...mild carbonation. Light to medium body. And of course, like all Cantillon lambics, booze isn't noticeable. This is why I love Cantillon beers! I haven't had one yet that I didn't love...but this one specifically is just simply wonderful!

4.65/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

750ml bottle 5,0% Abv.
Served chilled in a wine glass.
2013 Vintage

Appearance: Mamouche pours an almost clear golden colour with touches of orange. A rough pour yields a large white head that lasts really well for a sour, but doesn’t leave much in the way of lacing.

Smell: According to Jean’s Facebook status the 2013 Elderflowers didn’t have as much flavour as usual, but I can’t see that it has affected the beer too much as elderflowers (think wild flowers, a lightly herbal, crushed leaves, slightly resinous and a tad peppery) are noted almost as soon as the cork is out. That said, the base lambic is far from overwhelmed with a nice sourness, some tart citrus, white wine, some musty notes, old dry grass and a touch of cheese all well noted.

Taste: As the nose suggested, Mamouche certainly ranks among the most interesting lambics I have come across. I can’t believe how well elderflowers combine with lambic. Notes include: A big floral character, herbal leafiness, almost peppery, white wine vinegar, a tart lemony character, some mustiness and old hay. The flavour isn’t hugely tart, but there is a pleasant acidity throughout.

Mouthfeel: The body is light or just over and there is a medium level of carbonation. The carbonation is slightly finer than most loons and combined with the moderate tartness makes this ridiculously drinkable.

Overall: I wasn’t sure that I would enjoy an elderflower sour as much as I do the more traditional fruited lambics, however after a just a few sips I am convinced! Mamouche easily ranks as one of my favourite Cantillons and I will certainly be purchasing it again.

4.64/5  rDev +10.5%

Cantillon Mamouche

Appearance: orange, some good lacing, and a small head.

Smell: sweet floral notes along with a light hop and fresh grapefruit.

Taste: sour grapefruit, light floralness, and a bitterness.

Mouthfeel: medium and smooth.

Overall:
This is a very nice sour. Perfect for warm days. Don't pass it up if you like sours.

4.62/5  rDev +10%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to freud for the 750ml bottle. Opened and shared at BCTC VIP camping 2011.

Opened after dark with little ambient light, so visual assessment a little lacking. Great head poured into a mini-pils glass - glorious lacing. The aroma is utterly unique from all the Cantillons I've had over the years - bright, somewhat medicinal in a good way, only a little floral. I'm writing this review from notes as I sniff a sprig of fresh elderflowers as a reminder. Taste is sharp up front - tart & astringent, then an unusual floral/citrusy component. Finish is bone dry and astringent, with a hint of something herbal, though not unpleasant - quite refreshing, actually! Like nothing I've ever tasted, but no previous experience with elderflowers, or elderberries.

An herbalist friend advises that elderflowers are used as a mild skin astringent and to open pores and promote perspiring (diaphoretic) - such a reaction was not attributable by this taster, although it was a rather hot evening! A unique offering - looking forward to Zwaanze Day to try the newest one.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

750mL bottle poured into wine glass during Zwanze Day 2011 at monks in philly

Pours a clouded golden yellow color with straw tones, very thick fluffy head. Retains for a bit, leaving patchy lacing on the glass, nice legs.

Floral in the nose with peppery tones, faint spice and heat, almost like a cross between bell and jalapeno peppers. Tart funk, yeast, straw, and lemon peel. So different and so fantastic.

Lemon zest with citrus notes. Peppery spice and slight vegetable (bell and jalapeno peppers) notes. Decent sourness with white grapes. Plenty of floral character from the elderflowers, distinct but fascinating. Funk and straw towards the finish with light acidity.

Medium body, higher carbonation, refreshing and zesty on the tongue. One of the most unusual yet delicious beers I've ever had. Even at $10 per glass, I went back for more - it's almost tough to explain this beer without actually tasting it.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%

A treat that Chris brought over from his trip to Belgium. At the Lion's Pride when he just got back from his flight, rolled in and pulled out some surprises, this just happened to be one of them.

Pours a golden color, good amount of haze in it, not much in the way of head or lacing.

Smell is quite unique, made with something called elder flowers, I guess this is their first time making anything with it, certainly has a unique funk/flower aroma bouncing around in my nose, bit of sour and spice, Cantillon might need to do some more with these elder flowers.

Taste is quite sour/tart, caught me off-guard after drinking an '84 gueuze that was more sweet than sour, wonderful sourness in this beer and definitely picking up some of the spice that the flowers contribute, definitely finished dry but left you wanting more.

4.59/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a Cantillon taster glass. Acquired in a trade with Cody, thanks!

Pours a slightly hazy deep gold body with a 1-2 finger white head that reduces fairly quickly to leave little lacing and a ring of retention.

Aromas are delightful - pungent tartness, musty basement, apple cider vinegar, slightly floral and earthy, lemons and citrus.

I allowed this to warm to room temperature before rating it's taste, as I think that's when it tastes best. Very tart, borderline sour, lemon juice, funky yeast, grassy hay, light oak and acetic on the finish.

Mouthfeel is light and refreshing with medium carbonation. Very easy to drink, not harsh or cloying whatsoever.

I was pleasantly surprised at how delicious Mamouche is - it doesn't get the highest ratings of the Cantillon beers but I actually enjoyed it more than others. Very complex and balanced with tons of nice flavor.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Shared this one with BA buddy rvdoorn after his visit to the release party of this very special product.

A: A hazy orange color with a huge white head.

S: Elderflowers, wood, fruity sourness and some spices.

T: Sourness as to be expected for the style. Elder flower, slight grains and hops, some spices.

M: Medium body and carbonation. Nice dry finish.

D: Well, considering that is not my favorite style... GREAT drink!!! Exceptional for sure, would love to have this one again if possible.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

Thanks to Morgan and Cena from Sweden for sharing the last bottle at the Cantillon Brewery this year.

Vintage 2010

A: Golden on straw ale with excellent clarity. Two fingers of bone white foam falls to a quilt of the same, which stays for the life of the beer. Central column of continuous bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S: Whoa, I could smell this as soon at it was corked! The Elderberry Blossoms are potent! I have never had this flower in my face, so I can't compare, my table mates said it was totally obvious (Cena didn't know it was brewed with the flower and called it out immediately). To me: peppercorns, soil, black tea, cilantro and a hint of mint. Can't get my nose out of the glass, it's embarrassing given my new company wants to chat.

T: Initially soil forward, peppery, herbal. I honestly am having a difficult time describing this beer. It's something I would pair with oysters on the half-shell alongside some enanthaler and chilled white grapes. There, that clears it up right?

M: Thin bodied with prickly carbonation. Good dry finish. Truly this is like a sparkling wine.

O: This beer is excellent, complex, fun and intriguing. I wish there was some to buy from the brewery because it's amazing!

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

served from a bottle poured into Cantillon tumbler.

A- extremely vigorous bubbles, medium clarity, moderately pale and tan. pours a lovely typically belgium head that quickly dissipates to a white outer ring

S- white peppercorns, rotten eggs, sulfuric, lemongrass, smells like a freshly cut sweet pepper. got me excited!

T- opens fruity, tart, moves to sour lactic sweetness ends on piny grassy botanical

M- full at start, moves to a bit of a dryness and ends on a round and chewy note

O- excellent marriage of fruity sweetness, botanical pepperyness and lactic acidity.

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

reviewed from notes when it was zwanze 2009

Light golden amber in color with with a big foamy head of white on top. Really cloudy and hazy and this gave it a much fuller look. Definitley going to be a winner here. Ohh, the rich funky nose on this one, I am melting into the chair. very earthy balance too it and soo floral like a meadow, really very nice.wow. Not too heavy, and the tartness and sour is perfectly placed. As I sip I close my eyes and the tartest granny smith apple I have ever had combines with a pear and flower notes. not Lip puckering, perfectly balanced. I am floored. Letting itlsit perhaps a touch of cherries works its way in, still light hops drying the palate and sourness that is not overwhelming but just will not quit. Perfect carbonation and medium body with no hint of alcohol at all.

Overall a great beer and another winner from a brewery that can do no wrong it seems!

4.55/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Cantillon mini flute. 2013 vintage.

Pours a dark straw yellow color with fizzy white head that settles to a whitewall atop the surface. Surprisingly clear for being brewed with flowers.

Aroma is upfront with the elderflowers, no messing around. A potpourri of old perfumey field flowers hits the nostrils right away followed by the signature Cantillon Gueuze smell giving off soft funk, sweet citrus fruit, pineapple, grass, and oak.

Then the taste, kind of like chewing on elderflowers while sipping classic gueuze. Adds a bitterness to the flavor profile as well, almost like that of a bitter/fruity tea. The funk gets lost in the flowers a bit while the lemon rind and pineapple flavors pop out. I have to say, it's like lambic and tea. I'm digging this! Earth notes come out more as it warms. Tastes like something you would drink in the olden days on a sunny spring day out by the barn on the most festive of days. Rustic but refined. Easy drinking yet celebratory.

Mouthfeel is light. Crisp carbonation with a bitter dry finish. Goes well with the beer. A fuller body would probably do no harm.

I have to say, this beer is unique. I think I'm enjoying this more than most other people. It seems to be less appreciated among the Cantillon lineup. I personally can find little faults in it. If you've never chewed on a piece of prairie grass or flower while out on a hike or other outdoor activity and enjoyed it, then you might not be a fan of this beer. Sometimes you want to feel closer to Mother Earth, and if you want to do that while enjoying a beer in your living room, seek this beer out to do it!

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon