Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

pDev: 11%
Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)

2.28/5  rDev -45.5%

Time to give my least favorite Cantillon another shot. On tap at Zwanze Day '12.

Soft yellow body, marginally hazy. Thin, white ring of head relaxes on the surface. Nose is dominated by the distinct aroma of green bell peppers. Kinda dry too, I suppose, but it's nearly impossible for my senses to get past this unpleasant smell.

Taste is similarly overwhelmed by green bell pepper flavors. Others claim it's floral; all I get is green bell pepper though. Finishes with cracked black pepper and a touch of capsaicin heat (wtf?!). Doesn't work at all.

Jean Van Roy is my hero, but I truly question the decision to blend delicate lambic with a flavor this dominant. By far the worst lambic Cantillon has produced IMO.

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.5/5  rDev -40.2%

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

Big thanks to mdfb79 for opening up this bottle at last night's tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours golden with a big, foamy white head. Some good lacing as it went down. The nose brought forward quite a bit of jalapeno skin and green peppers. Very odd. There is a bit of light floral character there as well, in addition to some mild herbs. The pepper character is really overwhelming, and takes the flavor even more. Really odd and not very enjoyable. Some vegetable character there as well. Coasts the mouth. Really very strange and I did not enjoy this one.

2.63/5  rDev -37.1%

From 03/19/11 notes. Brought this to a small tasting, always excited to try a new Cantillon beer.

a - Pours a clear orange-amber color with one finger of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of pepper, spices, light fruit, green peppers and jalapeno peppers. A little spicey and way overdone on the peppers.

t - Again tastes of jalapeno peppers, spices, pepper, light tart fruit, floral, and green peppers. Every few sips it seems to be pretty spicey as well.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation, but too spicy on the tongue.

d - Finally found a Cantillon beer I didn't like. Normally I can't get enough of Cantillon's but I did not want any more of this one. I wasn't sure what elderflowers would smell or taste like but apparently it's peppers. Most people at the tasting enjoyed this one a lot, but to me it was too spicey and dominated by peppers. Wouldn't seek it out again.

2.75/5  rDev -34.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Part of our Kebab and Cantillon dinner party the other weekend. Cheers guys!

From a 750 into a tumbler
Bottled 7 June 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head with decent retention. Hazy amber orange in color with lower levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a thick ring but leaves no real lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Some citrus fruits in there, like lemon and orange peel perhaps, with an underlying layer of funk that resembles sea weed as well. A strong floral element from the flowers obviously that somewhat dominates the lambic. A little overwhelming perhaps.

TASTE: Lots of flowers up front, with some lemon and tart srouness through the middle into the finish. Sour lemon, bitter notes and some funky, dank mouldy flavors compete with the flowers, unltimately losing in the end. The floral flavors very much run the show here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes rather dry. Puckering and somewhat acidic after the swallow.

OVERALL: This is definitely a flower dominant lambic. The floral aroma and flavor really do take the lead here, which, unfortunately, quickly became quite challenging. I understand that many people quite enjoy this one, but for me, at this point at least, I found this difficult and didn't go back for a second pour. Not something I'd want to drink again for the next little while at least. At least not this fresh. Perhaps a couple years in the bottle would make a big difference.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Pours a hazy dark yellow/light golden color with a rather large fluffy head of white foam.

Aromas really throw me back in my seat intially. There is a ridiculously huge amount of floral, vegetal, herbal and spice aromatics. As I go back in I get the same huge amount of herbal and floral charcteristics; like some kind of cooking spice blend. It almost has a raw, freshly cut green bell pepper thing going on.

The flavors are luckily less spice blend and more lambic but not by much. You get some intiall lemon tartness and granny smith apple but soon you get some vegetal jalapeno skin, parsley, peppercorn, rosemary blend. This is really odd to be honest. There are some slighly pleasant pear and flower notes in the finish but the elderflowers are adding a flavor profile I have never experience in a beer, especially a sour beer.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is spicy and sour, sounds great in food, not so much here for my palate.

Overall I just can't get behind this offering. As we discussed at the table, you either love it or you hate it, but even if you love it, more than a 6 oz offering could become a task. If you are adverse to any sort of herbal/floral beers, avoid this for sure.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

Bottle provided by Matt for our Saturday couples tasting. Thanks for the tick man!

A-Pours a peach color with a fingers worth of tight white head.

S-Nose is pretty forwardly earthy/herbal, with some pepper, pickle, and lemon. I know it’s not really pickle, just a weird off characteristic of the elderflower.

T-Flavor is a lot of the same themes, it’s very sour and that pickle/herbal characteristic is a lot more pronounced.

M-Light mouthfeel, moderate acidity, gentle carbonation, and a lingering finish.

O-Might be my least favorite Cantillon to date. I can see why others would like this, but I think I prefer Iris in comparison to this.

3.33/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours hazy yellow/gold. Small white head fading and leaving little lacing.

I've never heard of elder flowers before, but the best description I can come up on the aroma is the smell you get when you tear into a fresh green pepper and get that juicy pepper flavor although with a touch of spice maybe more akin to a jalapeno.

This different flavor is even more intense in the flavor. Tons of floral components and a massive green pepper flavor with some more hot spice coming out as it warmed a bit. It's interesting and even though I love peppers, I'd like more complexity. I really don't get many other flavors because they are so far in the background and almost undetectable. None of the typical Cantillon funk and acidity that I usually love is noticeable here.

Typical mouthfeel for the style and finishes fairly dry.

As far as unique experiences, this ranks a 5. I've never had a beer that's really been remotely close to this, however if you line up Cantillons and force me to pick one, this would be near the bottom of the list. Not sure what age does to this, but a fairly fresh bottle is mostly pepper and nothing else.

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

This one pours with an audible crackle of the CO2 being released. Slightly soapy crystal white head. The color is dusty, rudy, brownish gold. The aroma is pleasant, s bit of classic funk, some old dusty barn, and a floral perfume. The nose leads me to believe I'm in for a great experiance. My first sip leaves me perplexed and a second confirms my fears. Mamouche starts with a delicate soft sourness and slight lemon-y funk. Then I get this strange vegitile flavor, it is slightly floral but reminds me more of tomatillos. While I like some of the aspects of this beer I can't get past the vegitile tomatillo thing. Otherwise this is a flawless lambic, great mouthfeel, its fluffy and not thin. In the end the pluses of this beer just don't outweigh how I felt about the flavor. But I can at least respect this as a well crafted product.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon