2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.

(Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 445 | Reviews: 142 | Show All Ratings:
brystmar

2.28/5  rDev -45.2%

Time to give my least favorite Cantillon another shot. On tap at Zwanze Day '12.

Soft yellow body, marginally hazy. Thin, white ring of head relaxes on the surface. Nose is dominated by the distinct aroma of green bell peppers. Kinda dry too, I suppose, but it's nearly impossible for my senses to get past this unpleasant smell.

Taste is similarly overwhelmed by green bell pepper flavors. Others claim it's floral; all I get is green bell pepper though. Finishes with cracked black pepper and a touch of capsaicin heat (wtf?!). Doesn't work at all.

Jean Van Roy is my hero, but I truly question the decision to blend delicate lambic with a flavor this dominant. By far the worst lambic Cantillon has produced IMO.

12-03-2012 17:59:08 | More by brystmar
Thorpe429

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

Big thanks to mdfb79 for opening up this bottle at last night's tasting. Served in a Bruery tulip.

Pours golden with a big, foamy white head. Some good lacing as it went down. The nose brought forward quite a bit of jalapeno skin and green peppers. Very odd. There is a bit of light floral character there as well, in addition to some mild herbs. The pepper character is really overwhelming, and takes the flavor even more. Really odd and not very enjoyable. Some vegetable character there as well. Coasts the mouth. Really very strange and I did not enjoy this one.

03-21-2011 00:29:33 | More by Thorpe429
mdfb79

2.63/5  rDev -36.8%

From 03/19/11 notes. Brought this to a small tasting, always excited to try a new Cantillon beer.

a - Pours a clear orange-amber color with one finger of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of pepper, spices, light fruit, green peppers and jalapeno peppers. A little spicey and way overdone on the peppers.

t - Again tastes of jalapeno peppers, spices, pepper, light tart fruit, floral, and green peppers. Every few sips it seems to be pretty spicey as well.

m - Light body and moderate carbonation, but too spicy on the tongue.

d - Finally found a Cantillon beer I didn't like. Normally I can't get enough of Cantillon's but I did not want any more of this one. I wasn't sure what elderflowers would smell or taste like but apparently it's peppers. Most people at the tasting enjoyed this one a lot, but to me it was too spicey and dominated by peppers. Wouldn't seek it out again.

03-21-2011 18:30:00 | More by mdfb79
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Part of our Kebab and Cantillon dinner party the other weekend. Cheers guys!

From a 750 into a tumbler
Bottled 7 June 2012

APPEARANCE: Pours a one finger, medium looking white head with decent retention. Hazy amber orange in color with lower levels of carbonation evident. Head fades to a thick ring but leaves no real lacing down the glass.

SMELL: Some citrus fruits in there, like lemon and orange peel perhaps, with an underlying layer of funk that resembles sea weed as well. A strong floral element from the flowers obviously that somewhat dominates the lambic. A little overwhelming perhaps.

TASTE: Lots of flowers up front, with some lemon and tart srouness through the middle into the finish. Sour lemon, bitter notes and some funky, dank mouldy flavors compete with the flowers, unltimately losing in the end. The floral flavors very much run the show here.

PALATE: Medium body and medium levels of carbonation. Creamy on the palate, goes down smooth and finishes rather dry. Puckering and somewhat acidic after the swallow.

OVERALL: This is definitely a flower dominant lambic. The floral aroma and flavor really do take the lead here, which, unfortunately, quickly became quite challenging. I understand that many people quite enjoy this one, but for me, at this point at least, I found this difficult and didn't go back for a second pour. Not something I'd want to drink again for the next little while at least. At least not this fresh. Perhaps a couple years in the bottle would make a big difference.

03-07-2013 19:50:44 | More by Jeffo
claspada

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a hazy dark yellow/light golden color with a rather large fluffy head of white foam.

Aromas really throw me back in my seat intially. There is a ridiculously huge amount of floral, vegetal, herbal and spice aromatics. As I go back in I get the same huge amount of herbal and floral charcteristics; like some kind of cooking spice blend. It almost has a raw, freshly cut green bell pepper thing going on.

The flavors are luckily less spice blend and more lambic but not by much. You get some intiall lemon tartness and granny smith apple but soon you get some vegetal jalapeno skin, parsley, peppercorn, rosemary blend. This is really odd to be honest. There are some slighly pleasant pear and flower notes in the finish but the elderflowers are adding a flavor profile I have never experience in a beer, especially a sour beer.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is spicy and sour, sounds great in food, not so much here for my palate.

Overall I just can't get behind this offering. As we discussed at the table, you either love it or you hate it, but even if you love it, more than a 6 oz offering could become a task. If you are adverse to any sort of herbal/floral beers, avoid this for sure.

12-03-2012 20:22:07 | More by claspada
Tnudish

Wisconsin

3.25/5  rDev -21.9%

Bottle provided by Matt for our Saturday couples tasting. Thanks for the tick man!

A-Pours a peach color with a fingers worth of tight white head.

S-Nose is pretty forwardly earthy/herbal, with some pepper, pickle, and lemon. I know it’s not really pickle, just a weird off characteristic of the elderflower.

T-Flavor is a lot of the same themes, it’s very sour and that pickle/herbal characteristic is a lot more pronounced.

M-Light mouthfeel, moderate acidity, gentle carbonation, and a lingering finish.

O-Might be my least favorite Cantillon to date. I can see why others would like this, but I think I prefer Iris in comparison to this.

12-26-2012 15:37:11 | More by Tnudish
jmarsh123

Indiana

3.33/5  rDev -20%

Pours hazy yellow/gold. Small white head fading and leaving little lacing.

I've never heard of elder flowers before, but the best description I can come up on the aroma is the smell you get when you tear into a fresh green pepper and get that juicy pepper flavor although with a touch of spice maybe more akin to a jalapeno.

This different flavor is even more intense in the flavor. Tons of floral components and a massive green pepper flavor with some more hot spice coming out as it warmed a bit. It's interesting and even though I love peppers, I'd like more complexity. I really don't get many other flavors because they are so far in the background and almost undetectable. None of the typical Cantillon funk and acidity that I usually love is noticeable here.

Typical mouthfeel for the style and finishes fairly dry.

As far as unique experiences, this ranks a 5. I've never had a beer that's really been remotely close to this, however if you line up Cantillons and force me to pick one, this would be near the bottom of the list. Not sure what age does to this, but a fairly fresh bottle is mostly pepper and nothing else.

10-01-2012 17:15:58 | More by jmarsh123
pmlondrigan

3.45/5  rDev -17.1%

This one pours with an audible crackle of the CO2 being released. Slightly soapy crystal white head. The color is dusty, rudy, brownish gold. The aroma is pleasant, s bit of classic funk, some old dusty barn, and a floral perfume. The nose leads me to believe I'm in for a great experiance. My first sip leaves me perplexed and a second confirms my fears. Mamouche starts with a delicate soft sourness and slight lemon-y funk. Then I get this strange vegitile flavor, it is slightly floral but reminds me more of tomatillos. While I like some of the aspects of this beer I can't get past the vegitile tomatillo thing. Otherwise this is a flawless lambic, great mouthfeel, its fluffy and not thin. In the end the pluses of this beer just don't outweigh how I felt about the flavor. But I can at least respect this as a well crafted product.

12-19-2011 00:22:00 | More by pmlondrigan
womencantsail

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Huge thanks to yespr for offering me a taste of this one. Review #500.

A: The pour is hazy yellow in color with perhaps some golden tints. There's a short lived white head, as well.

S: The nose is incredibly interesting, not like any other beer I've come across. This, of course, would be the Elder Flowers. They provide a strong floral and herbal aroma and something that I can only describe as spicy, along the lines of chiles. Unlike other Cantillon beers, this one isn't overly funky or tart in the nose.

T: The Elder flower flavor is just as intense as the aroma is. The herbal quality is again, extremely strong. The spiciness is not as pronounced, and allows the acidity and tartness to come through a bit more. There is also a slight saltiness which I wasn't expecting, but it added an interesting dimension.

M: The body is fairly standard for a lambic, a bit on the lighter side of medium with a nice tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

D: This was indeed one of the more interesting beers I've ever had. And in this case, interesting wasn't a polite way of saying "not very good". I enjoyed this experience and hope to have other years of the Zwanze beers.

02-24-2010 18:46:56 | More by womencantsail
craytonic

District of Columbia

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Appearance: Murky yellow-orange, nice head but no lacing.

Aroma: Bitter, perhaps a bit floral with some faint citrus and wood. I have neither smelled nor tasted an elder flower so this is a bit hard to judge.

Taste: Floral, I assume elder flowers, with taragon, citrus, and wood. Not as sour, funky or tar as a typical Cantillon.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but otherwise good.

Drinkability: Interesting and not something I would pursue again. A few ounces would have been plenty. It does taste better after it breaths some.

07-05-2010 02:21:49 | More by craytonic
alcstradamus

Washington

3.48/5  rDev -16.3%

Thanks to the "King of Beers" Steve for sharing this one.

Poured into a 5 oz. taster glass. Not a proper vessel for reviewing appearance, so my rating for this category is adjusted to create an accurate overall score.

Murky golden yellow in color. The aroma has a strong sensation of chilis and pita bread. A dirty earthiness underneath, and some sunflower seed nuttiness.

The flavor is very grassy/herbal. The chili spiciness (the elderflower) which was strong on the nose is a bit more subdued in the flavor, but still very present. Lemon zest and hay round out the flavor profile. Pretty sour, but not compared to some of the more potent Cantillons.

The body and carbonation levels are appropriate for the style (good). Overall, I felt this beer was extremely unique, but it was more of a noteworthy curiosity rather than an enjoyable drinking experience.

10-24-2010 23:31:17 | More by alcstradamus
tewaris

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

Thanks!

I have no idea whatsoever how elder flowers smell like or even look like but I am assuming that everything different in this beer is because of them.

Very floral and herbal aroma with those elements dominating the taste as well. The sourness in this beer is either harsh or appears so, I cannot tell. Mouthfeel is excellent but this beer is not doing it for me even though I find myself going back for another whiff and another sip. I am glad to have had it but it either is not as good as other Cantillons, or challenges my palate so much that I am baffled. Regardless it is fairly above average compared to some other swill (Mariage Parfait, I am looking at you!).

10-17-2012 08:51:41 | More by tewaris
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Zwanze 2009 Edition

Pours a white head. Decent retention. Color is a hazed golden orange.

Aroma: More elder flowers than the mamouche. Big herbal floral notes. It also has a big pepper burn to it with chiles here.

Taste: Big amount of chiles and pepper. Kind of spicy. However, it is more herbal and floral than the mamouche. A big grassy, oaky, and funky with vinegar notes. Some lemon citrus and acidity.

Mouthfeel: Sour, tart, funky, spicy. Light bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends fairly clean.

Overall, I like it better than the mamouche. It has more elderflowers and it works better with the spices. Somewhat drinkable.

10-22-2010 22:25:52 | More by mothman
TurdFurgison

3.53/5  rDev -15.1%

Cantillon Mamouche, purchased at the brewery during a weekend in Brussels last month. The label describes as such: "Elderflowers, handpicked by the Cantillon team and soaked in 2 years old lambic. Beer with evolving flavor. Keep and serve at cellar temperature. To be drunk preferably within 10 years after the bottling date."

I opened this one during a lazy day between Christmas and New Years Eve. After removing the cork I saw a little liquid seeping around the cork, nothing serious, just interesting. The cork came out with a nice audible, very good carbonation.

Light orange straw color, SRM of 3-4, initially clear but becoming a little hazy with subsequent pours. A very nice foam that never quite goes away, a solid cap on the liquid, not sticky enough to give lasting lace.

This has a very unique aroma, apparently elderflowers but I wouldn't know as I've never been exposed previous to this. To me it's a little peppery and evokes wet green vegetation. Behind this is the the standard barnyard funk that you expect from Cantillon, but the elderflowers play the lead role.

It tastes like elderflowers, I guess. Very light tartness, not bad but I would prefer a little more funk. Possibly less flowers would make me happy but I'm not employed by Cantillon so what do I know.

Medium bodied, nice carbonation as previously noted. Far from my favorite from Cantillon, but still a very interesting lambic.

12-30-2010 21:22:13 | More by TurdFurgison
Rifugium

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Nice of Monk's to have this one on tap at their latest Cantillon event. I actually had not had this before, so I figured I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy golden-yellow color with a small cap of delicate white bubbles that faded to a ringlet, streaking the glass with lacing until the last drop. Champagne-like bubbles blipped from the bottom of the chalice. Aroma of barnyard funk and wildflowers. Crisp taste, more of the characteristics noted in the nose: wet grass, cardboard, very floral, tart, but not overly so; mid- to end-palate displays heavy flavors of green peppers and a touch of white wine and cheap Champagne. Light body, prickly, and quite drying, as expected for the style. Decent overall, and probably one of the better selections from Cantillon.

06-19-2012 23:50:18 | More by Rifugium
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

from notes. Zwanze 2009. Thanks Mikey.

whoa this beer was weird.

poured orangey amberish with some haze and decent lace.

Super pungent nose, like you stuck your nose in a spice mill, just tons of pepper, overwhelming at first with some floral perfume emanating. Bretty taste, perfumey spice throughout, with a musty floral earthiness throughout but not too acidic. The dominant character is from these elderflowers. Really odd. Tons of assertive bretty flavor, good carb but not spritzery. Not my favorite cantillon but nice to try for sure. I'll revisit the madouche - i mean, mamouche version.

11-06-2010 03:15:47 | More by Ineedabeerhere
axeman9182

3.55/5  rDev -14.7%

Reviewed from notes, this one was on tap at the Blind Tiger and served in an 8 oz teardrop shaped glass.

Mamouche pours an opaque light orange, with minimal white foam capping the beer. The nose has a lot of funk to it, with a bit of acidity present as well. There's just a faint hint of oak, and a subtle spicy-herbal aroma that seems to build in intensity a bit as the beer warms. The flavor has much more pepper/herbs to it, with a light touch of fruitiness shining through as well. There's some wet hay, barnyard funk, but definitely not as much as in the nose. Can't really say the beer tastes tart or sour either. The carbonation is nice and bubbly, but the body is noticeably more full/chewy than you'd normally expect for the style. Mamouche is a decent wild ale, but definitely not up to the usual standards of what I expect from Cantillon.

07-23-2012 22:21:20 | More by axeman9182
SpeedwayJim

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Shared at a tasting. 3oz. pour into a snifter. Reviewed from notes. Bottle is Zwanze 2009.

A: Pours a .5 finger white head that dissipates quickly. Beer is a cloudy yellow. Lacing is spotty but with decent stick.

S: Nose is very weird here. Notes of a bunch of different spices, chili peppers, and black pepper. Normal brett and funk is conspicuosly missing. Not bad by any means but really not the norm.

T: Opens tart. Lemon, brett, and mustiness. Middle just becomes stranger and stranger. A slight bit of heat comes along with chili peppers and black pepper in the background. Thankfully, sourness intensifies a bit to cover the otherwise awkward flavors. Finishes rather clean with a subtle peppery aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied with light carbonation. Smooth in the mouth but the flavors this one carries makes it a little abrasive in parts. Finish is clean with an aftertaste that lingers just a bit.

D: Not one of my favorite offerings from Cantillon but they can't all be winners. Flavor is a bit weird and the spiciness just doesn't work with the sour flavor this beer has. Not bad by any means and I'd love to try it again in the future... I'm just not as eager to revisit it as I would some other lambics.

10-25-2010 21:28:33 | More by SpeedwayJim
auroracrisis

Kentucky

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Big pour into an oversized wine glass from a 750ml at 2011 Zwanze Day at Holy Grale in Louisville.

Bright yellow with a dense hue, plenty of murkyness as well. Small head upon pouring that dissipates into a ring of foam around the edges of the glass.

Big vegetal presence on the nose at first similar to bell peppers, daisies, and tomatoes. Some chilis in there as well, with a background of mango and papaya. Some sage and more vegetables. Not as funky as most other Cantillons on the nose, seems to be missing that big haystack and cheese funk.

Bell peppers, chilis, some tropical fruits like papaya and mangos all have an equal presence on the tongue. A very strange experience that I have never had in the flavor of a beer. Some floral and sage presence with minimal funk. Pretty strange, really.

Medium body with some stickyness. A tingle of carbonation

Massive vegetal, herbal and floral presnce with minimal funk on the nose and tongue. A real unique but strange beer. Glad to try it, don't think I'lll ever seek it out again though.

09-18-2011 01:56:07 | More by auroracrisis
Urbancaver

Bottle opened on Zwanze Day 2011

Pours a fairly clear orangish with a nice white head. Loots pretty typical. Smells hugely of chili spice. Peachy fruit, some floral aromas and toasted chilis. There is funkiness underlying but the chili overpowers. Was not expecting that. Tastes sweet and lightly fruity and before BAM! more chili hits hard. Well carbonated and drinkable but the chili kills it for me :(

09-18-2011 15:32:44 | More by Urbancaver
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours out a very light yellow with unexpected amount of haze, like a lighter hefeweizen almost. The small ring of white head is virgin white as they say. Aroma is sour, lemon, flowers, pepper.

Wow, the pepper. This was the spiciest pepper meets rye like quality I've ever had in a beer. And there's no rye in here, but it was mentioned to give an approximation of the taste and mouthfeel, it is like someone just dumped a bunch of pepper and rye into a lambic, which I assume is the taste I get from these elderflowers. Carbonation was ample, maybe amplifying the pepper like fatigue this induced on my palate during our first sour beer we had on Sunday morning at Triple Rock. Really, if I tried this blind, I would have guessed someone did a hot pepper wild ale.

Yeah, the beer was sour, floral and all that, but I thought the pepper was a distraction. Ultimately, this one kind of fits the bill that the more rare Cantillons aren't worth pursuing. I have a bottle, so I'll get to try it again, but for now, this is one of the more disappointing Cantillons I've had, even if it is a decent beer, it doesn't compare to their more accessible beers like the kriek or classic gueuze. A pretty dry beer all around as well.

02-19-2012 16:01:17 | More by Beerandraiderfan
oline73

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -13.5%

Poured from the bottle into a flute. I had this at the sour beer event at Teresa's Next Door.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden color with an orange tint. There is a small amount of golden head that disappears.

Smell: Very herbal with some sour notes. A bit weird, it kind of reminds me of burning plastic.

Taste: Bitter like natural grapefruit peel. Herbal with a lemon sourness and some funk. The finish is bitter.

Medium body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I was really excited to get to try this, but it didn't really live up to my expectations. The smell turned me off. I don't think I would search this out again.

10-04-2011 23:20:44 | More by oline73
AgentZero

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Thanks to MasterSki for sharing this at our Epic Chicago Tasting. Our bottle was an '09 "Zwanze" one, as opposed to the newly re-monikered "Mamouche."

A - A golden color that is a little bit hazy. Clear on the edges, has some huge, good looking bubbles.

S - A huge flower smell, really dominates in this brew. It's unlike anything I have smelled before, and I guess that is what elder flowers are, very sweet and fresh-cut flowery aroma. A bit of pepper and grass with a slight bit of funk.

T - It's a bit sweet, with some lemon and a little bit of wood. Huge flower taste, honestly it's a bit overpowering and I have to try to ignore it. Tastes like I'm eating a flower. The beer has a very unique taste, but it's not my thing.

M - Light and bubbly with a slightly dry finish.

D - Pretty good and light, but the flower taste makes it hard to drink tons.

I think this is a beer that you're either going want a lot more of, or not have again. I don't care a ton if I encounter this again.

08-26-2010 06:13:55 | More by AgentZero
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

3.68/5  rDev -11.5%

Huge thanks to Steve for kicking off our tasting with this rarity.

Poured into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow, small white head , soapy lace.

S: Zesty lemon and spiced chilies are the first thing that came to mind. The typical funky tartness is present as well. Slight lactic. Rather tame overall.

T: Tart lemon and green apple skins. Lactic sour with a solid dose of barn yard funk.

M: light crisp body. Bone dry finish. Mild carbonation.

D: Overall a decent if unremarkable beer. Glad I got a shot at it.

10-28-2010 00:42:31 | More by beerwolf77
rhinos00

Colorado

3.7/5  rDev -11.1%

Thanks Anders for giving me this opportunity. Poured from a 750 mL bottle into four tulip glasses.

A- Pours a semi-hazy golden color. Produced two fingers of white, foamy head. Dissipated to a thick foamy, film through consumption. Great head retention.

S- Elderflowers dominate. Very floral, almost perfume-like. The combination of aromas give off a scent akin to the unlikely combination of floral hops and chili peppers.

T- Upfront the beer has a sweet flavor combined with a bit of farmhouse funk. Almost instantly, the elderflowers takeover. Adds a peppery flavor combined with some sourness. Transitions into a spicy pepper, sweet finish. One of the most unique sours I have ever had.

M- Light to medium bodied. Just enough carbonation. Coats the palate well.

D- The elderflowers were too much for me. Bottom line.

Overall, a very unique beer, but as states above, the elderflowers really need to be toned down.

05-06-2010 02:29:16 | More by rhinos00