Cantillon Mamouche - Brasserie Cantillon

Cantillon MamoucheCantillon Mamouche

Brasserie Cantillon visit their website

Lambic - Fruit |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: rvdoorn on 11-07-2009

Cantillon Zwanze 2009 = Elder flowers. In 2010, Cantillon re-released this beer as Mamouche (same beer), which will be brewed on a regular basis.
Ratings: 718 | Reviews: 170
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

#800

Big thank you to Jeffo for this most awesome treat, very high up on my list of wants. Bottled June 15, 2010. Poured into a Cantillon tumbler.

Appearance. Pours a hazy, rich gold colour with a ton of bubbles rising and 2+ fingers of fluffy white head.

Smell. Bitter floral perfume and fresh savoury herbs, some berries and lemon juice as well as some old wood and that nice Cantillon funk ...which is as close to the classic "horse-blanket" description as any funk I've come across.

Taste. Amazing light floral perfume and some lightly bitter, savoury herbs along the lines of dandelion leaves. There's also some lemon juice, a bit of old wood and maybe a touch of leather, along with a nice light lingering dry funk.

Mouthfeel. Lighter body with full, lively but still somewhat soft carbonation. Pretty much perfect for the style.

Overall. The most interesting beer from this brewery that I've tried so far, wasn't expecting the herby aspect. Thanks again for this treat from across the pond, Jeff!

4.49/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a light pale golden orange in color with pale yellow highlights and a thin bubbly head that leaves nice wisps of lacing sticking to the glass. Definitely has the signature cantillon bretty barnyard funk character wtih nice citrus, good acidic in the nose, slight pineapple and mango fruit and oaky wood. The wood oakiness with barnyard bretty funk meld very well with citrusy accents, mild grapefruit twang, pineapple notes and a touch of corky flavor. The brew was light to medium in body with a moderate amount of carbonation which had a funky bretty horseblanket, citrusy oaky sour and slight dry finish. Finally got to try it and I wasn't dissapointed at all.

3.92/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottled 07 June 2012

Pours a little hazy darker golden color. The white head falls apart quickly.

Never smelled elderflower, but that is what seems to be most upfront. There is a grassy floral component up there. A big vegetal pepper smell as well. Some lemon and barnyard funk. Very interesting aroma going on.

This is sour but not overpoweringly so. Flower, grass, bell pepper, funky earthiness, lemon acidity. Very dry. Light-medium body with a calmer carbonation compared to other lambics.

Fun to try and extremely drinkable. The vegetal bell pepper of this took me by surprise.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Bottled June 8, 2012. Pours a slightly hazy golden orange color with a large white head that goes down quickly. Scent is...oh my...weird. Smells like dirt. Probably the least appealing Cantillon aroma I've ever smelled. Once I give it another whiff, I get more than just dirt. There is definitely the earthy dirt notes, but there is also a clean, fresh-cut bell pepper aroma. Bell pepper, dirt, and funky sour notes mesh for quite an interesting aroma that can grow on you after a few whiffs. Taste is very vegetal at first, with a good amount of sour. The bell pepper and vegetable come through in the flavor, leaving the dirt aroma behind in the nose. No dirt flavor...very tasty actually. Refreshing vegetable and sour flavors. Slight acidity, but not much. Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, almost puckering sour. Drinkability is high. Overall, this is the most bizarre Cantillon I have ever had. However, I respect them for creating something outside the norm of lambic. The vegetable notes are superb on this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Bottle shared by franklinn. Enjoyed in a Hill Farmstead glass.

Pour: Mildly hazy orange, with a finger and a half of white foamy head. Head hangs around and leaves some pretty solid lacing.

Smell: Hmm... I get a really nice vegetal aspect up front, followed by some green jalapenos. A nice lactic aspect, and a really nice funk. More jalapenos on the back.

Taste: Wow. Funky, sour jalapenos. No heat, but a nice clean green pepper taste. More funk, and a lactic tartness. This is ridiculous unique and it really, really works for me.

Mouthfeel: Ridiculously drinkable. Very palate cleansing. Great prickly carb and the tartness isn't puckering,

Overall: This beer was like nothing I've ever had before, and I loved it. Probably my favorite Cantillon to date.

4.2/5  rDev 0%

5oz. Pour from a bottle at Queens Kickshaw

A-similar to Fou Foune, apricot colored

S-I am catching flowery notes and tart apple skin and some requisite funk.

T-granny apple skin some funky cheese and sour apricot. There was some flower and plant note in the aftertaste. At 1st it was unpleasant, but as I sipped it this grassy aftertaste really tied it together

M-full of tingly carbonation and tart that makes the mouth water.

O-this is some delicious stuff, executed wonderfully. Not my favorite type of sour but unique and well above average.

Enjoyed this one while pre-gaming going out jazz club hopping in New Orleans at Avenue Pub! Served from tap into a wine glass. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a half finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount quickly. Maintained nice lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, sour, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, earth, bell pepper, floral, sour, and funk. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this was a good brew. When I had this out of the bottle back at Zwanze Day 2011 I experienced a bell pepper flavor and I thought that it might have been a figment of my imagination. Now that I’ve got to have it on tap as well and still pick up on the bell pepper it appears to be pretty solid evidence. There is nothing wrong with this fact at all though as it actually seemed to fit in quite nicely with the brew and add a nice earthiness to it. A well done brew that I can’t wait to see how it ages in the bottles I have laid down in the cellar.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks for sharing Beerdy. Poured into snifter. Recent vintage.

Pours a cloudy golden body with a thick white head that faded to a good lasting film. This beer smells like no other I’ve had, but that’s probably because I’ve never even hear of an elderflower before this. The nose is very peppery, like that of a red bell pepper, and vegetal. That characteristic musty Cantillon funk is right in there next to the strange notes of bell pepper and citrus. Smells like a musty of garden. The taste is better than the nose in my opinion as a little bit more funk and lemony citrus mixes with the pepper and vegetables, but overall this isn’t my favorite lambic. The mouthfeel is very airy, bubbly and fairly dry. I’d like to try a bottle of this beer in a few years when it’s had at least half a decade of age on it to see how it has changed. Definitely an interesting brew.

3.26/5  rDev -22.4%

Bottle provided by Matt for our Saturday couples tasting. Thanks for the tick man!

A-Pours a peach color with a fingers worth of tight white head.

S-Nose is pretty forwardly earthy/herbal, with some pepper, pickle, and lemon. I know it’s not really pickle, just a weird off characteristic of the elderflower.

T-Flavor is a lot of the same themes, it’s very sour and that pickle/herbal characteristic is a lot more pronounced.

M-Light mouthfeel, moderate acidity, gentle carbonation, and a lingering finish.

O-Might be my least favorite Cantillon to date. I can see why others would like this, but I think I prefer Iris in comparison to this.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

This may not be the highest rated Cantillon going but I really dug it; it was offbeat, unique, and flavorful. Slightly hazed, very light gold body, two finger head that settles rather quickly; a little patchy lace here and there.

Really an unexpected and pleasing aroma; tart lemony notes; musty funky aspects, but a clear note of fresh garden veggies out of left field. Not as in vegetal, not a stinking, overcooked cauliflower aroma, but that of fresh picked tomatoes from the vine, raw zucchinis and green peppers, clearly the product of the elder flowers. The taste also includes this unusual note; it’s subtle but always there; the fresh and moderately sour lemon flavor cuts and compliments it nicely; and the funky hay and barn notes round things out. More typical herbal, flower and oak elements also come into play; the finish is dry; green peppers are noticed in the short and clean aftertaste. That sounds pretty odd but in this beer I thought it worked wonderfully.

Medium-light body, medium carbonation, crisp, easy to drink, average acidity and sourness, doesn’t assault the mouth and gullet. This definitely won't be everyone's cup of tea but I was a fan.

3.28/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a hazy dark yellow/light golden color with a rather large fluffy head of white foam.

Aromas really throw me back in my seat intially. There is a ridiculously huge amount of floral, vegetal, herbal and spice aromatics. As I go back in I get the same huge amount of herbal and floral charcteristics; like some kind of cooking spice blend. It almost has a raw, freshly cut green bell pepper thing going on.

The flavors are luckily less spice blend and more lambic but not by much. You get some intiall lemon tartness and granny smith apple but soon you get some vegetal jalapeno skin, parsley, peppercorn, rosemary blend. This is really odd to be honest. There are some slighly pleasant pear and flower notes in the finish but the elderflowers are adding a flavor profile I have never experience in a beer, especially a sour beer.

The mouthfeel is medium to light bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is spicy and sour, sounds great in food, not so much here for my palate.

Overall I just can't get behind this offering. As we discussed at the table, you either love it or you hate it, but even if you love it, more than a 6 oz offering could become a task. If you are adverse to any sort of herbal/floral beers, avoid this for sure.

2.29/5  rDev -45.5%

Time to give my least favorite Cantillon another shot. On tap at Zwanze Day '12.

Soft yellow body, marginally hazy. Thin, white ring of head relaxes on the surface. Nose is dominated by the distinct aroma of green bell peppers. Kinda dry too, I suppose, but it's nearly impossible for my senses to get past this unpleasant smell.

Taste is similarly overwhelmed by green bell pepper flavors. Others claim it's floral; all I get is green bell pepper though. Finishes with cracked black pepper and a touch of capsaicin heat (wtf?!). Doesn't work at all.

Jean Van Roy is my hero, but I truly question the decision to blend delicate lambic with a flavor this dominant. By far the worst lambic Cantillon has produced IMO.

Appearance: Arrives with a tiny cap topping the hazy pale honey-colored liquid; a few spots remain as the liquid descends

Smell: Herbacious flowers, green peppers and the woods

Taste: Sour and funky, up front, with the herbacious element most prominent; in the middle the green pepper flavors become discernable, with the peppery character turning to jalapeno, after the swallow; oaky flavors combine, in the finish

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body with low to moderate carbonation

Overall: Interesting, for sure, but I don't care for it as much as the sours that use other adjuncts

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

Thanks!

I have no idea whatsoever how elder flowers smell like or even look like but I am assuming that everything different in this beer is because of them.

Very floral and herbal aroma with those elements dominating the taste as well. The sourness in this beer is either harsh or appears so, I cannot tell. Mouthfeel is excellent but this beer is not doing it for me even though I find myself going back for another whiff and another sip. I am glad to have had it but it either is not as good as other Cantillons, or challenges my palate so much that I am baffled. Regardless it is fairly above average compared to some other swill (Mariage Parfait, I am looking at you!).

3.35/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours hazy yellow/gold. Small white head fading and leaving little lacing.

I've never heard of elder flowers before, but the best description I can come up on the aroma is the smell you get when you tear into a fresh green pepper and get that juicy pepper flavor although with a touch of spice maybe more akin to a jalapeno.

This different flavor is even more intense in the flavor. Tons of floral components and a massive green pepper flavor with some more hot spice coming out as it warmed a bit. It's interesting and even though I love peppers, I'd like more complexity. I really don't get many other flavors because they are so far in the background and almost undetectable. None of the typical Cantillon funk and acidity that I usually love is noticeable here.

Typical mouthfeel for the style and finishes fairly dry.

As far as unique experiences, this ranks a 5. I've never had a beer that's really been remotely close to this, however if you line up Cantillons and force me to pick one, this would be near the bottom of the list. Not sure what age does to this, but a fairly fresh bottle is mostly pepper and nothing else.

4.57/5  rDev +8.8%

served from a bottle poured into Cantillon tumbler.

A- extremely vigorous bubbles, medium clarity, moderately pale and tan. pours a lovely typically belgium head that quickly dissipates to a white outer ring

S- white peppercorns, rotten eggs, sulfuric, lemongrass, smells like a freshly cut sweet pepper. got me excited!

T- opens fruity, tart, moves to sour lactic sweetness ends on piny grassy botanical

M- full at start, moves to a bit of a dryness and ends on a round and chewy note

O- excellent marriage of fruity sweetness, botanical pepperyness and lactic acidity.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle shared at Woodshop 7 at Beachwood BBQ in Long Beach. Light peachy color with a small white head. Strange floral scent, obviously the elderberry flowers. Plenty of acidity but rather subdued flavor, mainly your typical funky lemony citrus pith notes with a touch of bitterness.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

A - pours a straw yellow with a soft white 1/4 inch head on it

S - nose is tones of elderflower (very planty - jalepeno and minty) with some citric lambic. Very earthy/herbally/floral.

T - Starts off with citric lambic flavors over the first 1/3 of the tongue. The lambic gives way to a minty jalepeno / herbal flavor...hard to describe without trying it, but it is a sharp, yet refreshing greenery flavor. The lambic returns on the backend with a little bit of spicy black pepper.

M - soft carbonation that imparts a soft mouthfeel overall

D - one of the more interesting Cantillon offerings I have tried to date. I think I prefer their wine barrel and fruit lambics over this venture into the plant world. Although it's harder to get it's worth a shot, as are any in Cantillon's line up.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Drank along with some other great beers just before BA Lalaloveyou takes off to Montreal.

a: Pours a hazy golden, somewhat gueuzey color. Lacing sticks a little. Lots of sediment/funk at the bottom of the bottle.
s: Smells like sitting by a pond on a log that was just flipped over, right after the rain stops, while eating Chipotle at the end of July.
t: As it warms up, I start to taste some real spice here. Habanero chili peppers keep popping up. Otherwise it's reminiscent of a Cantillon gueuze. A nice sour funk. Really not a lot of fruit here. More earthy and spicy characteristics.
m: Medium bodied with a nice bubbliness going on.
o: Great peppery gueuze-like lambik. Really interesting! and unlike other Cantillon's I have had.

3.57/5  rDev -15%

Reviewed from notes, this one was on tap at the Blind Tiger and served in an 8 oz teardrop shaped glass.

Mamouche pours an opaque light orange, with minimal white foam capping the beer. The nose has a lot of funk to it, with a bit of acidity present as well. There's just a faint hint of oak, and a subtle spicy-herbal aroma that seems to build in intensity a bit as the beer warms. The flavor has much more pepper/herbs to it, with a light touch of fruitiness shining through as well. There's some wet hay, barnyard funk, but definitely not as much as in the nose. Can't really say the beer tastes tart or sour either. The carbonation is nice and bubbly, but the body is noticeably more full/chewy than you'd normally expect for the style. Mamouche is a decent wild ale, but definitely not up to the usual standards of what I expect from Cantillon.

4.24/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a wine taster. Bottled June 2010. Nice golden color with very little haze. There is a good off-white head.

One whiff and I'm excited. There is a great blackberry aroma that has a hint of sweetness.

The taste is full of lavender and some hint of berry. The finish has a lasting flowery taste to go with the typical Cantillon tartness.

This is light bodied, with lots of sharp carbonation.

I know this is kind of a love/hate Cantillon; I really really enjoy it. This is delicious. The aroma really hooked me.

3.53/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

First had: on tap at Monk's, Philly, PA

Nice of Monk's to have this one on tap at their latest Cantillon event. I actually had not had this before, so I figured I'd give it a try. Poured a hazy golden-yellow color with a small cap of delicate white bubbles that faded to a ringlet, streaking the glass with lacing until the last drop. Champagne-like bubbles blipped from the bottom of the chalice. Aroma of barnyard funk and wildflowers. Crisp taste, more of the characteristics noted in the nose: wet grass, cardboard, very floral, tart, but not overly so; mid- to end-palate displays heavy flavors of green peppers, pickle brine, and a touch of white wine and cheap Champagne (ps - all Champagne tastes like cheap Champagne to me). Light body, prickly, and quite drying, as expected for the style. Decent overall.

4.69/5  rDev +11.7%

Had as part of the "Evening with Cantillon" event at the Belgian Beer Cafe Eureka during Good Beer Week in Melbourne.

Pours a light hazed golden colour, with a fine but filmy classic lambic head. Some foamy lace forms, but the body is light. Overall, a classic, if generic lambic appearance.

Nose is anything but generic however. Incredible herbal elderflower gives a burst and lift above the classic funk and rubbery gueuze characters. Bright vegetative hints of capsicum and mild japapeño give a sweet, peppery capsicain bite. It's a fascinating, and perfectly blended aroma. Just gorgeous.

Clean, clear and bright on the palate. Crisp peppery spice, with a clean funk through the centre and a sharp, dry acid finish. Aftertaste gives more of those greenery characteristic, with a leafy vegetative finish. Feel is just as crisp and good as you expect. It's just lovely.

Wow. This is an exceptional beer from Cantillon as part of a strong range of exceptional beers. It's a lovely twist to a really well made lambic. Amazing stuff.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bunzfest2012: Make it so... Quick review from written notes, served in a mini-tulip glass.

Light haze, golden orange body with copious white foam at first that fades to a thin ring around the edges of the glass.

Bell peppers and fresh cut jalapeno, chlorophyll, citrus rind, sandalwood, dry oak, savory with herbal dried elderflower notes.

Tart citrus lambic notes, green bell pepper zestiness, floral with some peppercorn savory qualities. Effervescent, dry aftertaste, lingering oak and lemon pith. Very unique and potent in smaller doses, one to share, but certainly enjoyable.

Zwanze 2009:
A4.25s4.5t4.5m4.25d4.25
2 pours, 2nd time sampling. Fairly cloudy, lasting surface skim, ring of spotty lace.
Spicy aroma, sliced bell peppers, slight floral, musty wood.
Similar flavors, bell pepper, green organics, cracked pepper spiciness, lightly floral, less so in Zwanze 09 vs Mamouche 11. Medium bodied, dry with lingering spice. Unique and tasty.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottle shared at FosterJM's birthday celebration.

Pours a slightly murky honey orange with an orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. No lacing on this one. Smell is sour, tart, and funky with a very nice floral presence from the Elder flowers. Taste is much the same with a slightly bitter quality on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good lambic with a nice floral presence in the smell and taste.

Cantillon Mamouche from Brasserie Cantillon